Young Writers Society

Not Another Birthday

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:11 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

A Bithday at YWS? What could possibly go wrong...

Birthdays at YWS were never dull but they couldn't exactly be called entertaining either. As Rydia cowered with a plate of cake and her scimitar underneath the blue and white tablecloth, she decided the word was 'eventful'.

There had been the one year when they were invaded by zombies and the only mercy there was that they ate brains and not cake because she'd seriously under-catered and then there had been the cruise ship disaster when they crashed into that really big island-looking thing. The spammians had attacked, the site owner @Nate had been mysteriously kidnapped and it always seemed to happen before they had a chance to cut the cake.

This year Rydia was prepared.

The cake was pre-cut, the guests had mostly arrived and the last few pieces of her plan were falling into place (like hiding under the desserts table).

"Uh... Captain?" @AstralHunter edged closer to her hiding place and Rydia looked at both her cake and her scimitar and reluctantly relinquished the cake to reach for her checklist.

"Psst. Over here," Rydia hissed.

"Oh, there you are!" AstralHunter hurried over and passed her the security card. "I've set up the technology lock-down zone, just like you asked."

"Great!" Rydia checked the box and put the security card away in her pocket.

"Are we playing hide and seek already?" @Lumi crawled under the table from the other side, sat down next to her, picked up the discarded plate of cake and started eating it.

Rydia glared at him. "No... we're completing the final preparations."

"Oh, right. One hundred spare scimitars ordered and waiting in the armory," Lumi declared around another mouthful of cake.

Rydia sighed and checked that off too. "Alright so as long as @TheClockworkConjurer has remembered to lock up that werewolf we found last summer and @Omni and @ReisePiecey have taken care of the bookwyrms infestation then we should be almost there. We're just waiting on-"

"Hey Rydia, I mean Captain, those robot security guards are here!" @TheSilverFox called from where he was manning the door.

Rydia jumped up in excitement and hit her head on the table then with a grunt crawled out from under it and skipped to the door to sign the paperwork. The rest of the crew followed her slowly.

"Uh Captain-"

"Robot security guards?"

"That is seriously cool!"

"Great work Fox, now that should be all the guests so let's get them inside and activate a full building shut down."

While the members of YWS began to party and the storybook crew ushered the robot security guards inside while discussing the downside of a full building shut down - "Won't that mean we're stuck in the YWS mansion for a whole week?" - Rydia felt all of the tension finally drop from her shoulders. This year everything was going to be okay.

T h e s e c a n d l e s a r e a f i r e h a z a r d

One of the robots veered toward the cake and then pulled out a gun and shot each of the candles with perfect precision aim.

T h e s e s t r e a m e r s a r e a c h o k i n g h a z a r d

A robot sped across the floor to the streamers where @Chaser and @Basil were deep in conversation and a long sword sprouted from its arm, at which point the robot slashed furiously at the streamers above their heads.

"Aren't they perhaps a little bit extreme?" @Lumi asked.

Rydia sighed and nodded. "Okay, I'll just log on to my e-mails and get the shut down code."

As Rydia pulled her y-phone out, AstralHunter exchanged worried glances with the rest of the crew.

"So, that full technology lock-down zone which you asked to be instated for a week... that did include staff phones, didn't it?"

Rydia stared at the blank screen of her y-phone and clutched her scimitar a little harder as a frown line dug into her brow. "I suppose it wouldn't be a ful technology lock-down if not."

T h i s w a t e r i s t o o w e t i t c o u l d c r e a t e a s l i p z o n e
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:26 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Werewolves and Snacks

As Master Gunner @TheClockworkConjurer turned the key in the silver cage, the wolf inside let out a sad howl.

"Now now, @Wolfie36, we can't have you thinking the cannons are fireworks like last year," the Master Gunner said, "You remember what happened to @15253's classroom because of it."

The werewolf looked up into the Gunner's eyes, playing on his pendulum heartstrings.

"I'll tell you what- If you can refrain from trying to eat miss @Stegosaurus in the cage next to yours for three hours, I'll bring you a nice slice of Captain @Rydia's famous cake."

"Did I hear cake?"

Gunner Clockwork turned around to see his comrade and fellow member of the WHOYWS (Wizards Honorably Operating on YWS), @CandyWizard walk up. He was wearing an elaborate pre-French revolutionary wig and attire.

"My friend! How are you?" Clockwork asked after they did their secret wizarding handshake.

"I am swell, thank you," Candy said, "I am just about ready to let us all eat cake."

"Not yet, my friend. Do you want both our heads on the chopping block?"

"Probably not." Candy magically created a large, sparkly box, and handed it to Clockwork.

"Is this what I think it is?" Clockwork asked excitedly.

"Yes, straight from the library of the WHOYWS headquarters. I hope @Nate and @Rydia appreciate the surprise."

"What surprise are we talking about?" @Pretzelstick and @LordZeus came walking up to the two friends.

"Nothing. Nothing at all." Clockwork quickly handed the present to Candy who put it in his bottomless bag.

"I am sure I heard you thundering about a present just now," Zeus said, placing his Lightning-3000 phone into his pocket.

Just then, a loud foghorn boomed across the party area, scattering several flocks of ostriches and pelicans.

"That must be @Iggy arriving with the Gen Lit air ship," Clockwork said, looking up to see the large blimp lower itself onto the SB flagship. "I guess we should go get Captain @Rydia to greet her for the birthday party... I wonder if Iggy remembered the dancing dinosaurs?"

And with that, Clockwork and Candy walked to the captain's cabin, leaving Pretzelstick and LordZeus to talk to halfblood cheetah and Wolfie...
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Silver Bars and Spinning Stars

@Wolfie36 was a sad, sad wolf. All normal YWSers were partying upstairs, but she was locked in a silver cage in the basement, only because those stupid firework cannons last year weren't "safe." At least @LordZeus and @Pretzelstick had come down to visit, but they couldn't make her feel much better. After all, being locked in a cage doesn't make one feel very social. It makes one hungry. Her stomach longed for a monstrous slice of YWS birthday cake, but until then, the @Stegosaurus next door was looking very appetizing.

Wait. What was it that the @TheClockworkConjurer had said? Don't eat dinosaurs? Wolfie guessed that made sense when she thought about it; an ancient lizard couldn't taste very good.

Well, in the other cage was @racket. For all she knew, maybe knee socks taste good.

"Wolfie!" a voice called.

She turned away from racket's cage and pawed away the wolf saliva that had accumulated on her chin. "@RagingLive! Thank goodness you've come. Did you bring food?"

"Yes. They have quite a selection up there. I brought you some @Nate-er Tots and a few of @AstralHunter's spinning star cookies."

Before Wolfie could accept the food, she saw a flashing light in the corner of her eye. "What is that?"

"Oh," Raging said. "That's one of the robot guard things. They're supposed to keep everything safe, unlike last time."

T h e s e s i l v e r b a r s i n d u c e c l a u s t r o p h o b i a

The robot proceeded to break open Stegosaurus' and racket's cages, but when it came to Wolfie's cage, it hesitated.

T h i s w e r e w o l f i s d a n g e r o u s i t s c a r e s l i t t l e c h i l d r e n

"What?!" Wolfie yelped. "No, no, no... Just because I'm a talking wolf doesn't mean..."

T h i s w e r e w o l f m u s t b e d e s t r o y e d

"Oh man," Wolfie whimpered, backing up to the edge of her cage. "This isn't good."
Last edited by Wolfi on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:49 am
View Likes
Steggy says...

Opening Cages, Crashing Parties

@Stegosaurus was downstairs in a cage while everyone, including the modly mods, were savoring their famous YWS birthday party. It was a relatively small cage, enough to make someone claustrophobic and most of the cages were unkept, the corners with cobwebs and the floor littered with dead bugs. Steg had fit of being down here, shaking the bars every once in awhile but it was useless. This was all due to the fireworks, that @TheClockworkConjurer had warned about. It wasn't her fault that nearly anytime she heard something zoom into the sky and crash like lighting; who wouldn't act scared?
Next to Steg, was @Wolfie36 the werewolf, who look displeased and hungry of the current events that were happening. As of now, Steg and Wolfie could at least have some of the huge, monstrous YWS birthday cake. Yet they were left hungry.

Some people came down to visit her, including @Pretzelstick and @Falconer, each with kind smiles. Steg had begged for them to bring food to where they both looked at each other disturbed and walked away. She looked over at Wolfie Werewolf and saw her hungry gaze. Her shallow eyes deepened her pit of hungry to be subdued with the tasty flesh of Steg. Stegosaurus rolled her eyes and sighed, slumping in a nearby corner. She noted that Wolfie was slobbering over @racket, hearing her pant was horrible enough as for not having food.

Sometime later @RagingLive came down, talking to Wolfie while a robot came towards Steg's cage.

T h e s i l v e r b a r s n d u c e c l a u s t r o p h o b i a

The robot continued to break at Steg's cage as it finally opened, causing Stegosaurus to run out and trample the poor robot. It got up and moved over to racket's cage, doing the same thing.

Steg looked back at Wolfie's cage as the robot seemed to near it closer and closer. The last words he heard it say was:

T h i s w e r e w o l f m u s t b e d e s t r o y e d

Steg sighed. She couldn't have someone killed, rather feeling pain. Stegosaurus walked back towards the robot, and without it knowing kicked it in the back, short circuiting it progress leaving it with:

S t e g o s a u r u s i s d a n g e r o u s

"You damn right I am!" Steg exclaimed as Wolfie came out of her cage.

"Thank you."

"Don't get mushy gushy with me, kay? Now for another plan. How do we get up there with them thinking we are still down here?"

racket stepped forward and said "We could always blend in with the shadows."

"Yes but how do you suppose we make them think we are in the cages?"

"Fill some pillows with feathers or anything down here and stuff it into the cage," racket stated. Steg blinked.

"That could work, I guess."

"You should never guess a situation. That is how wars are started." racket walked off to the corner of the room.

Great to know we have the sass part of this team Steg thought, helping racket with the idea and soon three cages were filled with stuffed feather bags.

"Perfect. Now plan B. Upwards, comrades! We have a party to crash."
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:09 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

“Crashing parties?” that not my thing… “I’ll stay down here in this cold cellar. Please kindly go away because I’m introverting.”

@LordZeus sighed at his companion. Of course Pretzel had wanted to stay down there, she never wanted to do anything social. Except he supposed that YWS was a social website but... He sighed with frustration, because he now had two options. Either let her freeze and stay alone in this cell, or actually he would have to stay with her the whole time and make sure that those creepy robots didn't harm her at all.

His gut said stay with her, but his mind really wanted to go to the party. After all, this was once in an entire year, right? The door opened and @Atsmai literally popped into Pretzel's hands, by having a birthday hugging reunion. LordZeus looked helplessly at the two ladies, shrugging his soldiers. He guessed he could just leave them like this... because he couldn't really handle them down here, squealing and wobbling.

Ats nodded to him, as a signal that she planned to stay here and protect her naive unsocial friend
"Well, if you want to stay with me, me aware that there are robots--"

The screeching sound of their wheels commenced as they wheeled toward the two huddled friends.

I T I S D A N G E R O U S T O B E L E F T A L O N E

Pretzel shook her head and got ready to confront them: "We're not alone here, Ats is here and there is a whole upstairs of YWS people that we care about. It's not like some bogus robots are going to scare out of our wits or whatever."

The robots eyed us up close, and retorted

W E W I L L H A V E T O R E P O R T T O T H E C A P T I A N

“Rydia’s my friend,cause I made her make apple pies for this party.” Pretzel whispered to Ats and linked hands as they shoved them upstairs through a window to where Rydia’s office was located,but she was currently having a meeting.

“Wait here!” The robots voices squeaked. Woah, what a relief that they weren’t spelling out those letters like they were before.

Pretzel peered at LordZeus inside the room talking to Rydia's secretary. She waved at the window to get his attention,to just let him in. By chance LordZeus caught her eye and gave her a thumbs up, meaning that he would come to her aid. Would he or would he not?

LordZeus charged toward the window with a crowbar and Pretzel quickly acted and pressed her and Ats flattened across the wall and away from the window which was about to …
Shatter. Into a thousand of colorless broken fragments that immediately alerted the beeping robots. But Pretzel and Ats were already on the side of the window and to the door of Rydia’s private sector and office. The official robots crashed in,splattering more pieces onto the floor.

G L A S S I S A S A F E T Y H A Z A R D

It was time to get away from them, far far away. Before they decided to eat The Pretzel.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:17 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Down and Out

The special day had finally arrived. The party was almost at full swing, and all of the crew’s plans were sliding nicely into place. He felt that he had absolutely no reason to do anything else than have fun and enjoy the 14th YWS birthday, especially as it was the first one he had seen.

So why in the world was he stuck standing at the door, staring up and down the street for that truck?

Ah, yes, because he’d been told by @Rydia – Silver once again reminded himself to refer to her as the SB Captain, given the fact that he had just become a member of the SB fleet and was therefore within her wide sphere of influence, and should thus address her the way she wanted him to – to keep watch for those robot security guards the SB crew had ordered for the special occasion. He remembered how he had argued, when the order was given, that he had no desire to conduct this menial task at such a time, and felt that they had no need for any form of defenses as radical at that. The party organizers, and he himself, would keep everything in order, he had said naively. After all, what was the worst that could possibly happen? A long speech on how every previous event had gone seriously wrong, even when the YWS staff stepped in, and a few threatening glares he’d received, all of which suggested that they were absolutely tired of these said incidents and didn’t want to start another one, and thus wanted him to stop his argument, had been enough to make him change his mind and become an eager supporter of this decision.

He cursed to himself about his lack of stubbornness when he remembered the incident and his willingness to comply so easily when threatened. However, he couldn’t help but admit that he had much less authority than any of the other mods. As it stood, he had little power, and therefore had no ability to change the nature of the task, much less delegate these tasks onto anybody else. Thus, though he didn’t like it, he was entirely powerless to change it, and so he had to deal with it and move on. Of course, that didn’t mean he had to be happy about it. As he heard the celebrations within, he gritted his teeth in rage. I should be there, he grumbled to himself. Not looking for this worthless, stupid truck. It just isn’t fair, especially as this is my first one! And what a celebration they have! Why couldn’t somebody else take my place? Wouldn’t that be nice? He fumed with a series of statements that were along these general lines for quite some time as he continued to look.

Suddenly, a large truck rolled down the street. Silver immediately recognized it as the one he was looking for; the imagine on the side was identical to the one he'd been informed was the logo of the company delivering the robots. Silver turned around and whistled into the building before shouting:

“Hey, Rydia…I mean, Captain!” Seriously? he thought, did I not just tell myself to not make that mistake? Urgh…I will be in such trouble after this. He cursed in his mind as he finished, upset at his persistent inability to appease superiors. “Those robot security guards are here!”

He heard a grunt of pain after those words. He remembered having seen Rydia ducked under the desserts table earlier, and surmised from this information what had likely happened. He resisted from smiling wickedly as Rydia crawled out from under the table and headed over to where he stood, the rest of the mod crew behind her. However, he was successfully able to don a poker face, and nobody even suspected of his having taken momentary delight in his captain’s misery.

From within the building, a few people who had heard Silver’s shout raised a few comments.

“Uh, Captain -”
“Robot security guards? What?”
“This is seriously cool!”

However, he ignored those comments, not feeling the need to respond to people who he presentely didn’t care for, his jealousy of the rest of the partygoers still great. Silver stepped out of the way as a man walked to the front of the mansion with paperwork in hand and met Rydia, who eagerly signed the papers. After a few seconds, the man took a few steps back, and gestured for two people in the truck to start activating and rolling out the security guards.

“Great work, Fox!” said Rydia to Silver, as the first of the security guards started to enter the mansion. “Now, that should be all of the guests, so let’s get them inside and activate a full building shut down.”

Silver nodded in agreement, and they did exactly that.

If he had assumed that, with the end of his task, he would get to join the festivities, he was wrong.

He had been delegated after the arrival of the robots, though he considered it an even worse position, from the job of truck-spotter to ‘honorary cake-guardian,’ or whatever they had called it. Apparently, that meant passing out the cake slices as necessary, and preventing anybody from taking more than their fair share; or the whole cake, for that matter. He hated this job even more, as he was not only blocked from joining the fun that swarmed throughout the party, which was finally at its peak in terms of actions, but he had to watch everybody else enjoy themselves while he was stuck here. Ah well, he thought, at least there are some perks. He could at least secretly eat a few pieces of the cake while nobody was looking, and he enjoyed the expressions on people’s faces when he informed them that they could not have a third helping.

After the arrival of the guards, most of the crew had dispersed among the crowd, and there were few within vicinity of Silver when the most unfortunate incident began.

T h e s e c a n d l e s a r e a f i r e h a z a r d

One of the robot guards rushed over to beside where Silver was standing. It pulled out an air gun, and blasted the flames off of each of the candles with an exceptionally good aim.

Silver was infuriated. What did this guard think it could do? Did it honestly think it could walk to him and mess with the cake he was supposed to be guarding? He didn’t like what it had done in the slightest, particularly as he knew might invoke the wrath of his superiors, and so pulled out a spare lighter he kept in a pants pocket. Opening and lighting up, he made to light on fire each of the candles again. As he lit the first one, a feeling of satisfaction washed over him. The spare lighter he had been given was actually serving a purpose for a change, and, now that he had openly defied the robot guard’s will, what more could it do? Wouldn’t it recognize the futility of the situation and give up? He assumed it would.

But, of course, it didn’t.

T h a t l i g h t e r i s a f i r e h a z a r d, it bellowed, and pulled out its air gun again. However, Silver placed himself between the new light and the gun and deflected the shot. His eyes began to glow red as he smiled maliciously at the guard. Finally, he had something to thrust all of his rage and envy upon.

“Just try me,” said Silver to the robot, his hands outstretched in either direction from him, so as to block it from trying to shoot the cake from another angle and take out the flames.

S t a n d d o w n a r s o n i s t, replied the robot, and it made a series of beeping noises. A second one rushed over to join it.

Silver turned around and lit another of the candles with his lighter. He moved slightly to block an air blast shot by the second guard.

T h o s e r e d e y e s a r e a l i g h t h a z a r d a n d s c a r e t h e g u e s t s, yelped the two robots at the same time. S t a n d d o w n o r w e w i l l u s e f o r c e. They both pulled out long swords and waved them threateningly at Silver’s face. Silver stared at them, frowning, and then began to make a deep, long growl. He was enraged by their actions, and would not tolerate this anymore.

“I’ll show the both of you who’s boss,” he grumbled as he marched over to the first guard, dodging the sword swipes as the two guards attempted to attack him with their weapons. However, when his hands were just about to grab the hapless robot’s head, ready to crush it to pieces, he spotted something at the corner of his eye.

Taking a quick glance, he was horrified to find three figures moving around by the entrance to the basement. Of course, this would be otherwise quite normal, as there were a few people coming in and out of the basement, but it was the identity of the figures that concerned him. They were masked by the shadows, but his perceptive vision was clearly able to identify @Stegosaurus, @Wolfie36, and @racket. Those were the troublemakers who had been locked up by the mods, he remembered. He’d heard the story about how they had accidentally caused panic last year, and realized that they were about to crash this party as well. He had no idea what they planned to do, but if last year’s events were any indicator, this party was about to get a lot more dramatic. He needed to them stop them, and fast.

“Oh goodness, no…” he began, but, in the midst of this horrible distraction, he had forgotten what he had gotten himself into. One of the guards struck him with the back of the sword, and he collapsed onto the ground, down and out.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Zeus quickly lifted his sword and dropped his crowbar as the robots advanced. They advanced towards him, a wall of steel. He wondered angrily how these insignificant pieces of metal dared to try to attack him, the son of God Zeus, and slashed out at them with his sword. It glanced harmlessly off the front of one.

It looked at him angrily and said Z e u s i s v i o l e n t.
H e i s a s a f e t y h a z a r d. W e m u s t e l i m i n a t e h i m.

It pulled out a gun and shot at him, and Zeus just managed to activate his watch shield in time. The bullet hit the shield and ricocheted off to hit somewhere on the ceiling. Zeus fell back keeping his shield in front of him and @Pretzelstick and @Atsmai as the robots kept on firing. But his shield was getting dented and he knew that it wouldn't last forever.

He realized that he was going to have to do something that he hadn't done in a while. He smiled in anticipation as he reached out his mind, gathering water vapour. Clouds gathered over him and started to rain.

The robots looked up at the clouds and said, r a i n i s a p n e u m o n i a
h a z a r d and they tried to shoot at the gathering clouds, to no effect.

Zeus grinned maliciously. The fun hadn't started yet. He raised his hands and lightning bolts struck down into the robots. Then, as one, they fell to the ground, their circuits fried. Zeus smiled happily, but then he suddenly felt weak.

That lightning had cost him more energy than he had realized. He didn't even have enough left in him to dissipate the rain clouds he had formed. He fell to the ground. The rain poured onto his face blurring his vision and he closed his eyes. He dimly heard the sound of his friends gathering around him and asking him if he was alright before he fell unconscious.
Last edited by LordZeus on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:06 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Important emergency meetings were not often held in Rydia's personal office because frankly she hated people secretly judging her eclectic book collection when they were supposed to be listening to the agenda notes.

"Sorry, I wasn't listening to the agenda notes," @Omni admitted.

Rydia sighed and began to explain again: "A fleet of perfectionist robots have invaded the YWS mansion-"

"Weren't they invited?" @TheClockworkConjurer interupted.

"-Have INVADED the YWS mansion and it is our mission to lock them all up in the cages downstairs."

"But isn't that where you're holding the troublemakers?" @CandyWizard asked. Rydia blinked and wondered who had let Candy in and how the wizard was so well informed when @Meshugenah leaned over and hissed:

"Did we add a new mod? I swear I can't keep up with all these new people."

"Uh... no. Who invited-"

There was a sound like shattering glass and that's because there was shattering glass outside the meeting room and this was promptly followed by a robotic voice:

G L A S S I S A S A F E T Y H A Z A R D

A stirring on the floor meant @TheSilverFox had finally woken up. They'd had to carry him up two flights of stairs to get him into the meeting room so they had enough moderators for a full vote and Rydia pounced on the opportunity:

"Okay, can we vote? All in favour of letting the troublemakers from last year out of their cages so we can put this year's troublemakers in there please say aye..."

There was a vague sense of approval in the room but some moderators were silent as they continued to judge Rydia's ownership of a copy of Twilight and the continuing existence of The Heart of Darkness in her classics section.

"Can we move to item two on the agenda?" @Lumi asked. "We really need more puns and whenever you write these posts, you always make my dialogue so normal and un-punny."

Rydia sighed and went to open the door to her office to check with her secretary about the noise. Instead of finding her secretary alone in the room, there was a broken window, a scattering of fried robots and a @Pretzelstick and @LordZeus.

It was also raining. Inside. Without the roof having been destroyed (which actually happened a lot more often than you'd expect).

Through the glass floor, which had miraculously remained un-shattered, Rydia could also see @Stegosaurus, @racket and @Wolfie36 devouring cake at the unguarded dessert's table.

"This is a disaster."

T h a t n e g a t i v e l a n g u a g e i s n o t a c c e p t a b l e
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:21 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Raging Ignorance

@TheClockworkConjurer and the rest of the assembled staff, as well as @CandyWizard, @Pretzelstick and @LordZeus prepared themselves as another wave of robots charged Captain @Rydia. The rain had stopped, but the wet floor still posed a challenge for these metal contraptions.

"Master Gunners! Go ensure the cannons and our guests are safe!" the Captain shouted as she engaged the first robot. "Also find any volunteers to help in this invasion. The rest of you with me!"

@TheClockworkConjurer and @AstralHunter snuck through the hidden door into the main party area as the YWSers and robots clashed with weapons, candy cane swords and illuminated candlesticks.

Down stairs the party was still in full swing, oblivious of the fight happening above them. There were a few robot guards with clubs and tazer guns at all the main entrances, keeping the guests prisoner in the party.

"Let's recruit those troublemakers," @AstralHunter said to his friend,pointing at the cake table where the former-prisoners-who-are-now-prisoners-again were eating all the cake. Or at least, most of it.

As the Master Gunners neared the table, they saw @QueenofHearts on a throne of red velvet cake, with her playing card guards protecting her share of the cake.

"Oi, you three!" Clockwork shouted to @Stegosaurus, @racket and @Wolfie36. "We need to talk."

The three turned to look at him, faces stuffed with cake. As one, they tried to run, but were paused by Clockwork.

"We need your help," AstralHunter said, "The robots are a threat, and invading the party. Can you help take out the sentries at the entrances?"

Unpaused, the all nodded, before starting to stuff themselves with cake once more.

"Now would be divine," Clockwork said, shooing them from the table before proceeding further into the party. "Hunter, we should split up to cover more ground. Meet me at the central cannon once your armory is secure."

"Gotcha. Good luck."

Also immediately after turning back to the party, Clock saw @Iggy talking amiably with @Birkhoff, @RagingLive and @Meandbooks. He made his way through the party to them, with a few juice and cake stains on his just-cleaned uniform.

"...And then I told Rowling, 'Sorry, but for the ninth time, Felix Felicis won't get you into YWS," Iggy said, to the laughter of her conversation partners.

"Yes, Clocks?" @Birkhoff asked, taking a sip from his oddly shaped glass.

"Sorry to bother you, but we have a... slight problem."

"And what might that be?" RagingLive asked, putting her hand on her sword.

"The robot guards we got for the party have gone Dalek and are invading the mansion. Also, @Nate has seemed to gone missing, since he's not answering phone, and his monkeys are on strike."

"The party seems fine to me," Iggy said, to which Meandbooks nodded.

T h r o w i n g c a k e i s b a r b a r i c. E x t e r m i n a t e t h e t r o u b l e m a k e r s

At once the robots readied their weapons and started attacking the three recruits, as well as @QueenofHearts, who was furiously waving her scepter at the robots shouting for their heads.

"I stand corrected," Iggy said, "What does @Rydia need us to do?"

"Gather the GenLit and Resources crews. @Meshugenah is already upstairs, and @AstralHunter is most likely looking for the rest of the Poetry mods."

"And me? What should I do?" @Meandbooks asked.

"Gather some volunteers, and ensure that the distinguished members are all safe," Clockwork was loading his rifle now, "Good luck to you all!"

And with that, he ran towards the door which said "Only Staff- Starboard and Portside armories, Kitchen". He had to secure those weapons...
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

A YWSer in Robot's Clothing

@Wolfie36 didn't know how to kill robots. What did @TheClockworkConjurer expect her to do? Use her fangs to puncture its mechanic frame, slicing through wires like they were strings of spaghetti? Bleah. No way. Wolfie hated the taste of metal on her tongue. Spongy, non-chocolate cake was more to her liking. At least, she hoped this cake was non-chocolate.

She paused for a moment and sniffed what was left of the cake, one ear cocked in anticipation. "Strawberry, I think... Good."

@racket laughed, tossing a piece of cake at her. "Wolfie, catch!"

T h r o w i n g c a k e i s b a r b a r i c. E x t e r m i n a t e t h e t r o u b l e m a k e r s

Wolfie whirled around, her cheeks stuffed with strawberry cake. "Mmmph!" She swallowed the cake as quickly as she could. The robot was edging towards them, laser guns clicking into place from out of its arm sockets. Wolfie yelped and scurried under the table, snatching the edge of @Stegosaurus' shirt and tugging her along.

racket didn't follow. "Sock powwa!" she yelled instead, whirling her knee socks above her head like a cowgirl.

"Ingenious!" Wolfie whispered, peering out from beneath the tablecloth. racket had tied forks and knives to the ends of her socks, and before the robot could respond, the utensils had smashed into its processor engine, smashing it in a shower of sizzling sparks.

"Yeehaw!" Steg said, jumping out from beneath the table and high-fiving the sock-wielder. "That was great!"

They celebrated by stuffing their faces with more cake.

T h e c o n s u m p t i o n o f t o o m a n y c a l o r i e s c a n u l t i m a t e l y l e a d t o d e a t h

Steg, racket, and Wolfie froze. Slowly, they turned around to look at the motionless carcass of the defeated robot. Nope. It wasn't that guy.

T h e s e p e r s o n s h a v e a l r e a d y s u r p a s s e d t h e i r s u g g e s t e d d a i l y p e r c e n t a g e o f c a l o r i e s

"Where is it?" Wolfie whimpered, scanning the room. All she could see were mingling groups of YWSers and a mess of tattered YWS streamers.

T h e s e p e r s o n s m u s t b e d e s t r o y e d

Stegosaurus sighed. "Again? Why?"

S o t h e y c a n b e p u t o u t o f t h e i r m i s e r y

Wolfie was done. She tucked her tail beneath her legs and crawled under the safety of the table, but before she could get very far she yelped in surprise. There was someone under there!

D a m m i t y o u f o u n d m e

"@Hattable!" Wolfie said. "What are you doing?"

"Heh. Sorry." He climbed out and brushed the cake crumbs off his tuxedo. Readjusting his nilla wafer top hat, he said, "I figured I'd give you all a good scare. I took this voice box from one of the dead robots and decided to try it out, that's all." Wolfie, Steg, and racket glared at him. He rubbed his hands together and grinned nervously. "C'mon, guys. It was all in good fun."

racket shook her head. "You owe us big time, buddy. Why don't you help us beat up some robots?"
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:53 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Madness Ensues

When he finally came to, he had a nasty headache, a huge bump on the back of his head, and was somehow in @Rydia’s personal office. After all, who else would have such an…interesting…book collection? Furthermore, when he looked around and noticed all of the mods – although he had not the slightest clue what @CandyWizard was doing here, given that he wasn’t a mod at all – at the same place, it only made perfect sense if they had to be at Rydia’s place. Obviously, Silver figured, they had dragged him up two flights of stairs to deliver him from the place he’d last remembered to here. That would explain, he grumbled to himself, why half my body is aching in pain; the mods literally dragged me up flights of stairs!

All this, not to mention his sudden realization of what had happened between now and the fight that involved him and the guards, made him immensely infuriated. Of course, given his luck, he soon found himself, without his prior knowledge or even ability to prepare for it, in the midst of things by voting on a particular topic. The topic was on whether or not to stuff the robot security guards in the cages that had, only until a short time ago, served as the home for the three troublemakers, and he raised one of the loudest cries of agreement on dispatching the guards in this manner. He was furious at them, furious at what had happened to him and what was likely happening to the cake (he blamed the guards for all his troubles, as even the ones that did involve them directly were because of their actions), and couldn’t wait to start tearing the guards to pieces.

Fortunately for him, he didn’t have to wait.

“This is a disaster,” said Rydia, when she, as well as the other mods, observed not only the destruction of the entrance to Rydia’s personal office, but the three troublemakers feasting happily on the cake that Silver had wasted so much of his time guarding. In particular, that latter fact made his blood boil. Yes, he hadn’t wanted the job to begin with – he had wanted to party, not protect a stupid cake - but to see that he’d failed at it was an even worse feeling. If one more thing goes wrong today, the voice inside him boomed in his head, I am going to destroy everything.

Then, of course, the robot guards showed up.

A large gathering of robots appeared at the door to the office, and, with swords drawn and guns raised, charged Captain Rydia and the rest of the staff.

That was the final reason Silver needed. With a loud, ferocious growl, the well-dressed human with a ruffled, wrinkled suit turned into a silver-furred fox. The mods, reacting as quickly as he did, charged with their own weapons, joined by Candy, @Pretzelstick, and @LordZeus. Together, they rushed into the mob of guards, hacking and slashing and otherwise engaging in a ferocious war.

Nonetheless, despite the monumental efforts of the other participants of the battle, Silver’s anger assured that he was at the forefront of the conflict, and that he would contribute to it in the way that he did. He directed all of his fury at the first guard he saw. The unfortunate robot was knocked off its feet by the fox, who shoved it through rows and rows of its companions. Other robots were shoved aside, and even a couple were trapped by the force of Silver’s pushing, caught behind the first guard and unable to get away from the fox’s wrath.

The large, silver fox lugged the guards towards the balcony that overlooked the two-story mansion. With a quick and sudden jerk, he threw almost all of the guards he’d caught off and over the side of the balcony, defenestrating them. They fell down a far ways and crashed on and amongst the unsuspected YWSers at the bottom floor. A series of screams and shouts greeted Silver’s ears; in response, the fox howled a response to the confused and surprised guests below, alerting them to the newfound danger and otherwise venting out his anger. He didn’t bother trying to shift back to his human form and explain that he had howled something that, in human, would probably sound like “Rise up and crush the invaders!” Rather, he hoped that somebody would be able to understand what he’d said and translate it to a human language. And, furthermore, he honestly didn’t care about what he’d done or anyone else’s concern; his rage had entirely consumed him, and it desired new targets to spread its wrath upon.

The remainder of the guards, caught by surprise, rushed towards Silver, trying to avenge their fallen brethren and punish the violent figure. Silver, in response, shoved the last of the dazed guards off of the balcony, and observed as the mods struck the robots from behind. This movement by the SB crew largely led to confusion among the robot ranks, and Silver, even in his fox state, could see that it could be exploited to the benefit of the YWSers trapped in the mansion. He dashed towards the main party area on that floor, trying to divide the robots between him and the mods. After all, based on his logic, the front half of the robots, not being threatened by anyone else, would most likely pursue him, and the back half, fighting the crew, wouldn’t. His judgment was correct, as half of the robots went to pursue him, and the other half were being beaten and smashed by the mods.

While the fight slowly progressed to the second-floor party area, as the SB crew slowly pushed the robot guards farther and farther back, Silver, with at least a dozen robots behind him, noticed the three troublemakers in and amongst the bodies of numerous destroyed robots, traces of what had once been a cake on their faces. This incited within him a deep rage as he remembered, however briefly, the duty that he had been assigned previously. He growled ferociously, screaming something that, in human, would most likely translate to “Die, thieves!” and swerved. He dashed forward with greater and greater intensity, barreling towards the three troublemakers.

He was going to have his vengeance. And he would let nothing stop him from getting it.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Two Roguishly Handsome Mods Do Spy Stuff

Now that Lumi's dialogue had been...electrified...he was ready for his sub-mission. While the others had fled the office to go about their frontal onslaught against the mechanical menace, he had grabbed @Omni by the shirt collar and pulled him into the corner of @Rydia's office.

"Lumi, if you're going to mug me for lunch money, there's a literal mountain of cake just downstairs--"

"There's no cake in this world that can satisfy my hunger."

"Is this a diabetic thing?"

"It's a rogue thing, Husbando." He pulled out of his back pocket a spare bowtie and nearly strangled Omni with it before nodding in approval. It matched his own. "See, when you're a rogue, you go on your own mission. You find your own solution." His eyes narrowed. "So we're going to be sneaky and do what any good rogue spy would do in this instance."

"I'm terribly claustrophobic, so if there's any air ducts involved, please count me out."

Lumi said nothing in return, but simply nodded with a quick smile.

Cannonfire rang out below them as they crawled through the air ducts above the party hall. Lumi edged forward on his elbows and knees as suave spy music played in the background. You know the kind. But then, of course, his yPhone hit Shuffle and changed songs to Barbie Girl, which effectively stopped Omni from shuffling behind him.

Lumi cleared his throat and tried pausing the song, but it wouldn't respond. He growled under his breath and sighed. "Fine, fine fine. @chibibo snuck it into my playlist when I wasn't watching...and I kinda like it. It makes me feel...what's the word?"

"Flamboyant."

"Hardcore, yes."

They returned to their crawl and rounded the corner in the ducts, but Lumi stopped when he bumped heads with @chibibo, who rubbed his head with a squeak and a curious gaze.

"What are you doing here?! You're supposed to be on vacation with @Nutty in the Bahamas!"

"......"

"Forreal? A new amiibo? Which one is it this time?"

"....."

"Wow, they must be getting desperate if they're bringing another Ganondorf into the mix. What an OP character."

"...."

F O U L L A N G U A G E I S A P L A G U E A N D W I L L N O T B E E N C O U R A G E D I N T H I S H O U S E H O L D

There was further gunfire below. "See, cheeb? You upset the robots. Now go say you're sorry."

"....."

"I don't care if they can produce nine hundred pounds of torque against a human ear! You offended them! And what do we do when we offend someone?"

"....."

"That's right, we make them a lovely basket of lemon bars and brownies--except for @Bloo because he always thinks the lemon bars are just brownies without souls."

"....."

"Yes, there are ingredients in the kitchen."

"....."

"Yes, you can come with us."

"....."

"I...you want me to...I don't know if I can do that in this enclosed space."

"....."

Omni slammed his fist against the air duct. "Can we please just move already?! I've been back here staring at Lumi's butt for nearly five minutes now, and it's getting really old really fast." He paused. "Also, have you been doing squats, Lumi?"

"Painstakingly."

"It's paid off quite nicely."

"Why thank you, friend-bot."

E R R O R R O B O T S D O N O T H A V E F R I E N D S

"WHY DO THEY KEEP RESPONDING TO PROMPTS NO ONE GIVES THEM?" shouted someone from below in the gala hall, probably @Caesar or someone idk.

chibibo reached out his hand and raised his eyes questioningly. Lumi took it and grabbed Omni's wrist with his ankle, and chibibo sneeze-teleported them to the Kitchen on the second floor.

As Lumi stood and brushed the dust off of his suit, he nodded. "My friend, that is by far your most useful spell."

But of course chibibo was already digging in the fridge for lemons.

"So Lumi--you never told me our actual plan."

"What do you mean? I told you everything before we crawled into the ducts!"

"No," Omni said, vein twitching on his forehead. "You said, and I quote, 'You and I are about to get high in @Rydia's office!'"

Lumi's jaw dropped a few inches, slowly. "Well then. I can...see how that could be misleading."

"....."

"YES CHIBIBO I KNOW THAT DRUGS ARE BAD I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO SPELL DRUGS."

"....."

"I am pretty sure you just spelled out an anagram of Voldemort."

"CAN WE FOCUS?!"

Lumi turned to Omni and sighed. "Fine, fine. First, we bar the doors."

They barred the doors.

"Next, I'm going to climb on your shoulders and start flaming."

"To think I passed up a gun battle for this." Omni pinched the bridge of his nose.

Lumi held up the packet of matches from his pocket and raised his eyebrows, pointing at the smoke detector above. Realization spread across Omni's face.

"Oh."

"....."

"Ohhhhh."

Lumi was already halfway up, rolling his eyes the entire way. Once he struck the match, there was a distant rumbling that was steadily growing closer, louder; a shouting that was very soft to begin with, but growing with intensity.

"Come oooooon," Lumi pleaded with the smoke detector. "Come ooooon!"

Just as smoke began to rise, the doors burst into splinters, three robots rushing the room and beeping hastily.

F I R E I S A H A Z A R D F O R A L L T H O S E I N V O L V E D

"So are free-thinking robots! No one has ever successfully written free-thinking robots without mayhem ensuing!"

F A L S E P L E A S E S E E R E F E R E N C E M A T E R I A L

"....."

R O B O T S D O N O T H A V E M O T H E R S Y O U R I N S U L T I S I N V A L I D

"....."

I S U P P O S E W E M A Y T E C H N I C A L L Y H A V E M O T H E R S I F A F E M A L E C R E A T E D M E

"....."

C O M P U T I N G
C O M P U T I N G
C O M P U T I N G

And to make a long story short, all three of them blew up. In a sudden, @Birkhoff rushed in the door with a fruity drink in his hand, sipping through a silly straw. "Guys! Fighting's broken out in the g--eez, what happened here?!"

"Oh, I guess you could say chibibo's wit has become...explosive."

Omni turned to look at Lumi. "Did you just--"

"We no longer need to flame the soulless masses! Boys, tighten your belts! We're coming out!"

Birk raised an eyebrow. "Did you just--"
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

132 Reviews

Reviews: 132
Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 pm
View Likes
racket says...

It had been a very strange day, and @racket was determined to enjoy it.
She, @Stegosaurus, and @Wolfie36 had been having a fine time of it, breaking out of cages and bashing robots with cutlery and such.
And the cake.... the cake was marvelous. She would have enjoyed it more had she not been busy bashing robots. Thankfully, though, they appeared to be gone for a moment. racket was looking forward to getting back to her cake.
So she was understandably quite annoyed when, as she sat on the floor pulling her socks back onto her feet and lacing her Converse, she heard a noise that sounded an awful lot like the howl of a wolf. Aaaand... robot guards. Running. And shouting whatever nonsense they had most recently come up with.
racket sighed as she looked up and saw, from far across the room, a ginormous silver fox running at full speed towards her, a good dozen or so robots trailing behind it. She stood, brushed off her denim shorts and called for Steg and Wolfie.
"Guuuuyysss... problem running this way at three o'clock."
Steg and Wolfie looked up from where they were scouting out the remnants of the YWS birthday cake.
"Dang nabbit..." racket muttered as she bent down and started unlacing her Converse again. "I just got these on..."
The silver fox and the bots were approaching, half a football field away now. racket wondered, not for the first time, how YWS had afforded such an enormous mansion.
"'Kay guys," Wolfie said. "Steg and I'll take Mr. Wolf man over there and racket, you hold off the bots for a sec."
racket nodded her approval, tying cutlery back onto her socks for mass robot guard destruction purposes. She might need backup...
The first robots started shooting at her with their ineffective air guns.

F o r k s a r e p o i n t y a n d s o a r e k n i v e s t h a t i s a s a f e t y h a z a r d

As racket began bashing her first few bots, she scanned the room for help. One of the robot guards pulled out its sword just as she spotted @Nightcrawler lurking in the corner of the large room, petting @Hattable's head as if he were a cat, and smiling mischievously.
"Yo, Night!" she called as the robot swiped its blade at her. The silver wolf growled in the background, and Steg roared in reply. Nightcrawler looked over across the room at racket, her grin turning poisonous as she crossed the room with large strides, pulling Hatt by the ear as she went.
"Ow, ow, stop it Night, please, ow..."
"Yes, dearest sister?" A bead of sweat rolled down racket's temple as she barely escaped the blades of now three of the robots fighting her.
"A little help please?" Nightcrawler let go of Hatt to stroke her chin. Hattable, in response, disappeared somewhere under the jumble of tables and chairs and robot bits.
"Hmm..." she said, taking her sweet time. racket was breathing heavily now. A wolf howled on the other side of the room, followed by a crash. Which wolf it was, racket did not know.
"I will help you... if you do something for me..."
"ANYTHING. Geez, help me please." Night shook her head.
"No, no dearest sister. You must promise me something." racket just nodded, focusing her attention on the remaining bots at hand. An explosion sounded somewhere in the distance, and rain clouds (rain clouds?) spread from the other end of the room towards the battling wolves on racket's left.
"You will find @Pompadour... and you will bring her to me." racket managed to roll her eyes.
"Sure, sis. I promise. Now, HELP." Nightcrawler jumped into the action, expertly flailing alongside racket and effectively taking out four of the remaining six bots in one swipe. Before the pair could turn to finish off the last two, two arrows shot out from under a nearby table. The robots were hit square in the back, groaning and whining as they fell over. racket wiped the sweat from her eyes as @Artemis28 crawled out from under said table.
"Were you just waiting under there the whole time?"
"No, I only had two arrows." Artemis laughed and shook her head, skipping away with a wave of her bow.
"Victory." said Night, pumping her fist in the air. "Woot! Good job racket. Now, go find Pompadour."
racket rolled her eyes again and turned to scan the room when she heard a commotion on the other side of the room. Stegosaurus and Wolfie had cornered the silver wolf and it was growling and shaking its furry head, crouching to attack again. racket took a step towards the three, when a shout rang out through the room.
"WAIT!" @ChocolateCello raced across the room, waving her chocolate cello in the air, stealing the silver wolf's attention. "Here, you must be hungry after all that work. Yes, yeah, that's a good wolfie..." She snapped off one of the chocolate tuning pegs and tossed it to the cornered wolf. It seemed to surprise itself when it jumped into the air and caught it between its teeth, chewing by the time it hit the ground. racket, Steg, Night, Wolfie and Cello all watched intently as the wolf chewed, shook its head, whined and staggered to the ground.
"Cello..." racket whispered to her. "Chocolate is really bad for canines..." She just nodded as the wolf twisted and rolled around on the ground. Slowly, it morphed back into a man. @TheSilverFox. racket slapped her palm to her forehead.
"That makes sense..."
The fox-now-man started yelling at Cello, and racket surveyed the room looking for any more robots to fight. They were all on the other end of the room, where the fight was almost over. Drops of water fell on to racket's shoulders, and thunder crackled through the ceiling. She dropped onto the ground, covering her eyes with her arm.
"Pompadour..." Night said.
"No," racket replied. "I am not going to wake up for a long, long time. Move me if more robots show up."
Despite the thunder, broken robot pieces and yelling, both human, animal and robot, in the background, racket managed to fall asleep, under the table Artemis had come out from under.
"The one who reigns forever,
He is a friend of mine!
The God of angel armies,
Is always by my side!"
"I was cup-bearer to the king." -Nehemiah 1
"I've lost all my marbles, but I promise they'll come back."

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:57 am
View Likes
Mea says...

Knowledge is Power

Meandbooks manuevered through what was left of the party, looking for distinguished members. I knew I shouldn't have come out of the library, she thought. YWS events are never normal.

A moment later, several robots came plummeting over the balcony, pushed by a large, silver fox. Mea managed to dodge them, but many other YWSers weren't so lucky. In the chaos that ensued, she hung back nervously, not wanting to get involved. Until she saw that one of the robots had fallen on @Snoink, who was dressed as a pig and carrying a stuffed piglet.

Meandbooks pointed at the robot and shouted "It's Win-gar-dium Levi-o-sa!" The robot levitated off of Snoink and drifted a few feet sideways before crashing back down. Smiling at her sucess, she helped Snoink to her feet.

"Finally, a DM. I'm supposed to make sure you're all safe, and then get some volunteers to help with the fight. Though it seems to me that you guys would be most helpful leading the fight. With all your experience and all."

"Yeah, this isn't actually the craziest birthday YWS has ever had," Snoink said.

"So I've heard," Meandbooks said. "You know what, why don't you gather the volunteers, since you're actually good at that kind of thing, and I'll go find @niteowl. I don't suppose you know where she is?"

"No, I don't..." Snoink frowned. "She's been in and out all evening - I think she keeps sneaking off to work on her thesis."

With a flash of memory, Mea recalled seeing a very tired-looking niteowl pouring over a stack of papers outside the entrance to...the library!

"I know where she is!" Mea said, and rushed past Snoink to the corridor that led to the library. Two robots blocked her way, but that was no problem. "It's Win-gar-dium Levi-o-sa!" she pointed and shouted.

This time, Mea herself flew into the air. She crash-landed hard, right in front of the robots. "Oh, typical," she grumbled, "it never works twice." She got to her feet gingerly and stared up at the robots looming over her. "I don't suppose you're going to let me through, are you?"

Q u o t i n g b o o k s i s a s e c u r i t y r i s k.

"That's what I thought you'd say," she grumbled. One of them took a swing at her, and she ducked, running past them. They pursued her, their armor clanking as they ran. They were gaining. Mea ran faster, clutching a stich that was forming in her side.

Why is it that the one thing you can't learn from books is the ability to run fast?

Finally, she reached the huge oak double doors to YWS's massive library. Everything was in there - every novel and every reference book, including every literary work every YWSer had published. And just outside, still staring at a sheet of data as if she were trying to glean the secret to Life, the Universe, and Everything from it, was niteowl.

Meandbooks tore right past her without slowing down. "In - the - library!" she shouted over her shoulder to niteowl. Two more strides, and she set foot inside, niteowl right behind her.

"What on earth's going on?" niteowl asked as Mea spun around, a huge grin on her face. The robots were on her turf now. This was going to be fun.

"The security robots have malfunctioned!" she said, watching as more robots streamed into the hallway. They must have called for reinforcements. "@TheClockworkConjurer told me to find the DMs and make sure they were safe. I seem to have brought the danger to you, though. Sorry about that. Can you fight?"

"Of course!" niteowl said.

"Then wait for it....wait for it....now!"

Meandbooks summoned her comrades. Books all around flew open, pouring forth every weapon and spell she had ever read about that would be useful for taking down massive killer robots. Spears punched through armor as if it were paper, blasters materialized and started shooting, and jets of red light shot forth from the Harry Potter section, Stunning every robot they hit.

Beside her burst forth streams of charts, graphs, and otherwise confusing streams of data from the darkest moments of niteowl's thesis work. Each bunch attacked the nearest robot and swamped it with data until all its processing power was given over to analyzing results and trying to read professors' minds.

Within minutes, every robot was reduced to a pile of sparking scrap. One robot could still croak feebly.

L i b r a r i e s a r e a s e c u r i t y r i s k.

"Darn right they are," Meandbooks said, surveying the damage. She turned to niteowl, still grinning. "That was fun. Maybe I should come out of the library more often."

"Come on," said niteowl. "Let's go find the others and see how they're doing."
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:24 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

The Best of Mediocre

"All in good fun? We could've killed you!" Steg stated firmly, jabbing a finger into @Hattable's chest. @racket sighed, crossing her arms and looking into the distance.
"You owe us big time, buddy. Why don't you start by helping us beat up some robots?"
Hattable blinked.
"Do I have to? Isn't that some other guy's job or-"
"The other guy is right in front of us," Steg said. Hattable was going to say something but decided upon the matter of helping two girls and one werewolf.
"Fine. But I am not going to like it." They were rushing around the place, in hopes of finding some fellow YWSers that could possible help during the gurling battle between robot and people. It wasn't long before they were approached by a hefty amount of robot guards.

"Oh man," Hatt whined. Steg rolled her eyes, grabbing a large metal pipe and stepped forward. The robots were each saying random gibberish about how the pipe is a very dangerous weapon but she ignored it, stepping up and hitting the heads of the first robots. A pathway was set in front of the three people and a werewolf when suddenly a silver fox, wearing a very green shirt, slid through the pathway. He skidded across the floor, trying to grab traction with his feet and run away. Close behind were another group of robots, waving big, orange airsoft guns and mumbling commands.
Steg sighed, tighting her grip on the pipe. racket was busy fighting another group of robots, casually whacking them with a chair arm. She yelled at someone across the room who was holding Hatt by the ear, and the person then walked towards racket in large strides.
"Ow, ow, stop it Night, please, ow.." Hatt pleaded. Steg continued fighting the incoming party of robots, along with the green shirted silver fox.
Her muscles were straining, sweat clinging to her neck. Her pink shirt she was wearing was sticking to her back, along with her jeans. Her sneakers squeaked as she continued her assault on the robots increased.
An hour later, most of the robots were destroyed. The silver fox was jumping around, biting at the legs of some of remaining robots and then growling at some more behind him. From the corner of her eye, she could see Hatt peaceful watching the battle, his knees close to his face. Then, Hatt leapt and attacked a small robot-- about the size of a human. He throw a chair at its useless metal body, ceasing it to fall down onto the floor into a whining fit.
"That is how you do it!" he cheered, raising his hands above his head. As he was having his little celebration, a robot was behind him, aiming an orange soft gun at his head,

"Watch out!" Steg yelled, as she finished off another robot with a kick in the stomach. Hatt looked back at the robot and before the robot could fire, @Artemis28 shoot an arrow into the robot's back. It fell with a clatter as Hatt was shaking in his shoes.

"This is why I don't come out from under a table and help." Hatt then returned under a table as the remainder of robots were defeated. Celebration began as a random person with a chocolate cello came running out and passed chocolate around to the many people. The silver fox was first to receive chocolate but within minutes of eating it, he was rolling all over the place before shifting into a man.
The man had silver hair and piercing blue eyes. The thought of the man being @TheSilverFox didn't seem to cross Steg's mind.
He started yelling at the chocolate cello person, pointing at himself then her then himself again.

In the distance, Steg heard thunder and felt the incoming rain storm. Why would there be rain inside a building? Steg asked herself, among the thousands of questions that rolled through her mind. From the corner of her eye, she saw racket hide under the table that Artemis came out of.
While the rain came down in sheets, the rest of the humans, animals and dinosaur fought wearily against the robots and in the end, they won.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus