z

Young Writers Society

The Heroes of the Shadows

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:09 pm
Halfbloodcheetah says...

TYBALT

That MONSTER! He fought against the soldiers that were trying to detain him. He looked at Dr. Hernandez with hate in his eyes. "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT MONSTER DID TO ME!" He thought back to the tests, the torturing. All of it made the man hiding in fear from him even more of a monster. He wanted him dead. The deadest kind of dead. He struggled until he heard a loud voice yell at him.

"STAND DOWN SOLDIER." He turned to see Blaze just walk through through the soldiers with a scowl on his face. When one of the soldiers tried to stop him, he put his gun to the mans head. "You wanna get outta the way son? That wolf is mad and I can easily persuade him to tear you apart." The soldier looked at Tybalt, who for fun snapped his jaws, and got out of the way. He still wanted to get at Dr. Hernandez but not while his boss was here.

Matt aimed his gun at Blaze. "Who the hell are you?"

Blaze gave the boy a hard stare, "General William Hayes. But if you want to stay alive around me call me Blaze." Blaze walked up to Tybalt and stared in his face, "Soldier, I appreciate that you have a vendetta but right now you have a mission to complete. Do you understand?"

Tybalt nodded knowing that it wasn't a question and that Blaze expected him to understand or else. He gave Dr. Hernandez one final glare before standing at-ease.

Blaze smirked and stood next to him his eyes scanning everyone else. "Okay then. Carry on. I took care of my soldiers, you take care of yours."
Someone needs to make Captain Cold a fursona.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:27 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

Nightmare 5: The end

I cried for what felt like hours. The pain in my heart was far greater than it has ever been. Far greater than watching my mother get murdered, far greater than knowing my brother was dead, and far greater than being tortured in the labs. This was the kind of pain that scars you inside and out. It’s the kind that affects you every day for the rest of your god forsaken life. It’s the kind of pain that makes you question everything. I slowly sit up. I have no more tears to cry.

“This is it isn’t it?” I ask. “You’ve shown my lowest moments, and you’ve shown me the future I will cause if I continue to be in the lives of those I love! What else could you possibly throw at me?!”

“The last thing you’ll face is what scares you’re the most…yourself.” A voice echoes through the dark room.

“What?” I ask. Suddenly a figure appears before me. She looks like me, but completely different. Her hair is black, and her eyes are red.

“What are you?” I ask.

“I’m you.” The creature says. “Well, technically I’m the you, you should be.” She laughs.

“No… You’re the me who kills. You’re the me who is a monster.”

“But, I’m still you.” She says. "And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you can dominate."

"But I don't want to dominate anything." I say. "I just want to be a normal teenager. All I want is just to be normal."

"Normal is boring, and you know that." She says. "Wake up, and accept the fact that this is who you are inside. Not everyone with blonde hair, and blue eyes are angels. Some of us have to be the shadows in the night."

"But I don't want that."

"You're strange. You don't want to accept the darkness, but you also don't want to admit that there is light in you." She laughs.

"What's so funny?"

"You're weak." Before I can even blink the figure charges at me. She grabs my by the neck and slams me against the wall. My head spins, and I gasp.

"No wonder no one loves you. You're a burden. In this world the only one that will love you is you. To everyone else your a monster." She says

"But..." I croak out.

"But what? Do you actually think those people care about you?" I gain enough momentum to kick up my legs to her stomach and kick. She falls on her back pulling me. I stumble but I manage to land on my feet.

"Yes I do." I say loudly. She sits half way up looking at me.

"Well you're a fool, because we both know you'll be the death of them. One of them is already dead because of you."

"You don't know that. Carlos was alive when I left."

"Well if he isn't dead now he will be soon enough. Darkness has a way of diminishing light." She lunges for my legs and tackles me to the floor. She is on top of me pinning me to the ground I can't move. Her strength overpowers mine by the tons.

"You see what you could have? All this power going to waste on a pathetic weakling like you."

"Stop..."

"No! Wake up! Wake up and fight!"

"I said stop!" I yell. Adrenaline pumps through me as I throw her across the room. She charges at me one last time before I snap her neck.
I watch as her limp body falls to floor.

Darkness always diminishes the light...

I wake up to the bright lights of my cell. I'm covered in dried blood and cold sweat. I start crying. Not because of the pain from my wounds, or the ache in my joints. It's because of the choice I made in my dreams. I'm awake now I'm sure of it because reality has sunk back in.

You'll be the end of everyone you love.

You will be the end.

I scream as loud I can grasping my head.

"Scarlette!...I uh mean Scarlette. You finished stage two. Stage three begins tomorrow." At first the voice sounded worried and concerned, but it quickly corrected itself. I look up to see Astral staring at me.

He cares?

No he doesn't care about you.

Evil people can't care.

Can they?

He did this to me.

He did this to everyone.

I hate him.

I hate him.

I hate him!
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:02 pm
Europa says...

Kirsten
Now that I was surrounded by people who were all fit and well groomed, I realized how scruffy and thin I must look.

my first action when I got into the facility was finding the showers. It felt wonderful to stand there in the warm spray and let the water streak down my face. I only got out after I had used up all the hot water.
After I had dried myself off, I slipped on a set of clean clothes. It had taken some looking, but I managed to find a black t-shirt, a pair of olive green cargo pants, and a nice pair of black combat boots in my size.
I exited the showers, still running the brush through my wild mane of hair. walked over to the infirmary building, where I was met by a grinning nurse with bleach blonde hair and blue eyes. I tried not to look up at her face. I might just break if I did. She looked too much like Scar.
"You've come to see your friend?" the nurse guessed politely.

I nodded, yanking the brush through the last of the tangles.
"He's right over-"
I had already spotted Carlos though and brushed past the nurse with a short "Thank you."I sat myself down on the edge of Carlos's bed, seperated my hair into three large clumps and began braiding it over my shoulder.
"Hey there, soldier!" I greeted Carlos. "How goes the war?"

Carlos rolled his eyes playfully. "Who me? I'll probably die of infection."
I swatted him gently upside the head. "Seriously, though, you alright?"
"Yeah. I'll live."
We were silent for a moment, and I poured all my focus into braiding my hair. If I let my thoughts wander, they most likely landed on something I didn't want to dwell on.
Finally I broke the pause by saying "So, doctor Hernandez. He's your dad?"
"Yep."
Carlos and I both started at the sound of Leon's voice. "Huh. Why do you seem so happy to see him then?" He was standing just outside the alcove where Carlos's bed was. how long had he been there?
Carlos gave him a confused look. "Why shouldn't I be?"
"Come on. You saw how Tybalt was with him. He must've been at the labs along with every other crack responsible for this." He scoffed irately, gesturing to the three of us. I had never seen my friend so agitated before. He looked angry, I had seen him depressed, in pain, but never angry.
"What? No. He wouldn't do that to me. I'm his son!"
"Tell that to Scarlette."
"That was different!"
They were both yelling at each other now. "Oh is it?!" Leon shouted. a few of the doctors had stopped and were staring as the boys fought "If it were different he wouldn't even be here! If it were different youwouldn't be here!"
Leon stormed form the room, still outraged. Why was he so upset about this? I shifted a little to look beck a Carlos. His eyes were smoldering with shocked anger as he gazed after Leon.
"I'll talk with him." I murmured. Then I pushed myself off the bed and chased after Leon, who was already halfway across the yard.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:43 am
View Likes
Snoops says...

I watched as Kirsten followed Leon into the back of the infirmary and had their first arguement because of me. Great going, Carlos, way to bring the family together!
I tried to muffle my ears when I saw Ty walking inside.
"Heya Carlos." He said softly.
"Hey" I was happy he was here.
"Why are they fighting?" He pointed to Kirsten and Leon.
"Leon says I shouldn't trust my dad..." Ty just sighed heavily but didn't say anything.
"Are you sure its him?" i asked.
"Hello son." It was my dad, I couldn't help but smile as he called me son, I had my dad again. Ty on the other hand, was furious. He grabbed his neck and bashed him against the metal closet behind him. His feet dangling from the floor.
"Stop it! Ty! Stop!" I yelled. Kirsten and Leon were running over but Ty didn't even listen to me.
"How could you sell your own son to be tested and tortured on? Or did you just give him away voluntarily? For the name of science they kept telling me! Was that how you slept at night!Huh? Tell me!"
"That's preposterous! Why would I ever give you away." He told me.
"Ty let go of him." Kirsten ordered. He dropped the man and looked away, his fists were shaking and his eyes seemed ready to pop out of anger. My dad dusted himself off and smiled reassuringly to me. How could anyone ever think he was a bad guy?
"I think you have me mistaken, how young were you when all this tragedy happened?" Ty took a step towards the door but stopped, took a deep breath, and turned back around to us. He didn't want to leave me alone....he wanted to make sure I was safe. I felt rotten, even though Ty was angry at me he still stayed.
"So you're denying everything?" Leon asked.
"Denying that I ever hurt young children? Yes."
"I mean, you would be our hero if you think about it....were srtonger now, smarter, you made us the best we could be." Leon was baiting him. My dad's eyes were on me, he grinned at me and I smiled back, before turning to Leon.
"No, you must be mistaken. Now, I need to exam Carlos on my own. Please leave." He said. Ty and Leon eyes flashed towards me worried. I glanced back at them smiling, I was fine.
"Come on guys." Kirsten said.
They reluctantly followed her and I was left alone with my dad.
"So, I always wondered, what happened to you after they grabbed me?"
"Carlos not right now." I nodded.
"Do you ever have news of mum?"
" Carlos! Please. Just...shhh."
"Sorry" I said. I forgot how he loved silence.
"Keep calm, drink tea and hide under the bedcovers"

Previously Lau2001

45 Reviews

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:08 pm
Europa says...

Leon

I popped the pan full of batter into the oven, then breathed in deeply as the delectable aroma of chocolate filled the kitchen. The events of yesterday were still replaying in my head, and honestly I was still a little bit angry.

I could've blasted him for you. Blak offered.

"Yeah, and then have to deal with you blowing up the rest of of the base? No thanks."

There was a creaking sound as someone pushed through the swinging doors into the mess hall and I heard Kirsten's voice say
"Chocolate?" In a rather hopeful sort of way.
I smiled. Even though our argument yesterday had been heated, it had always been impossible for me to stay mad with her.

"Cake." I said loud enough for her to hear from the board that had closed off the serving window. I poked my head out the door "you want some?"

Kir nodded. "Cake for breakfast? Heck to the yeah."

"I just put it in. It should be ready in a few minutes. How about some pancakes while we wait?"
I washed the bowl I had used for the cake and poured some pancake mix in. Kirsten Entered the room and pushed herself up to sit on the center island. I beagn cracking eggs.
"Leon? Are you alright?" Kiersten inquired nervously. she must've noticed how tense I still was.
I sighed quietly Gee, let's look at the facts. I'm a runaway lab rat, and on top of that has to live with a homicide in his head. how 'bout you do the math?
"I'm fine, I guess."

Kir hesitated before asking her next question. "Are you still mad at me?"

I turned to face her, the egg I was about to crack still in my hand. "What? Where would you get that idea? I'm not mad at you, I...I'm not sure why I'm still angry I just-" I shrugged. "I hate this place." I said simply. "All the soldiers and scientists everywhere, it's like another lab. The only difference is this time they didn't cage us." I felt something cold begin to trickle through my fingers. I had crushed the egg in my fist. Great.
I wiped my hand off on a rag and plucked another egg from the carton. I was just finishing whisking the batter when I felt Kirsten's fingers curl gently around my shoulder. Instinctively I flinched and her touch faltered. she began to draw her hand away, but I reached up and held it where it was. I didn't know why, but right then this was all I needed. Her hand on my shoulder. I let her draw me over to the center island, and levered myself up to sit beside her. She leaned against me. "You're stronger than you realize, you know." She whispered to me. "All of us were strong enogh not to break in those labs, and carrying on the way you did made you stronger. We could all turn thing around for us, together. If you would let the rest of us in."
I leaned away from her. "I can't, Kirsten. You and your friends, you're in danger as it is without me making things more risky for you."

"You let me know you." Kir pointed out.
I looked down at her. The trust that shone in her eyes made my breath catch. I slid off the counter and turned back to the batter before she could see the tears in my eyes.
No, Kirsten. I didn't. You have no idea who I really am, or what I've done to you.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:49 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Astral Venceworth

I hate you. Scarlette didn’t even have to say it. Her red-tinged eyes told Astral all he needed to know.

That’s fine, he thought. Nudging a dish of water with his foot, he slid it beneath the cell door. Scarlette regarded it suspiciously.

“You wore your throat out, screaming so much,” Astral explained, trying to sound casual. “It’d be a shame to ruin such a beautiful voice.” He was careful to coat the words in as much sarcasm as possible.

Glaring at him, Scarlette sniffed the water once before giving it a tentative sip. Scooping the dish up, she tilted the water back to her parched lips. She gulped it down thirstily, sending a thin trickle down the side of her mouth. Finishing, she set the bowl back down with a clang. “I hate you,” she said.

Somehow, hearing the words sent a dagger of pain shooting through his chest. Astral grimaced, drawing closer to the bars. “Should I care?” he mocked callously.

Scarlette said nothing, defaulting to a caustic glare. Astral sighed through his nostrils, withdrawing. Turning around, he started to walk away.

“Stop.”

“Stop the trials? I’m afraid I can’t,” Astral replied without looking back.

“I meant stop walking,” Scarlette growled.

“Ah. Yes,” Astral said, spinning around with a grin. “That makes much more sense.” Tapping his leather shoes on the floor, he strolled back to the bars.

Scarlette gritted her teeth visibly. “Why are you doing this?”

Astral forced cruelty into his gaze, leaning forward. “‘Cause I want to.”

“And why do you want to?”

“I don’t need a reason.” Astral twirled around on the balls of his feet, laughing. “A god does as he pleases.”

Scarlette fell silent again, laying her head down on the concrete floor, dirtying her hair. Astral, lowering his eyes, turned again to go. Somewhat more deflated, he began to walk away.

“You may not see the reasons behind a god’s logic,” he said, stopping suddenly. “But I promise you, believe and he will see you through.”

If Scarlette heard him, she gave no reply.

Astral chuckled, short and soft. “Huh.” Tilting his chin up, he strolled down the concrete hall, his footsteps echoing in the grey dungeon.

I hate you. For some reason, her words rang in his ears, the way a seashell held the ocean.

“Words are trifles,” he muttered. “Actions are what truly matter.”

But given the actions he had taken, all the proverb supplied was soul-rending guilt.

“Astral?” Heavy steel pawsteps approached.

Astral sighed. “Not now, Friskington.”

“Would you deny your pet his moments of companionship?” Frisky padded up, his eyes glinting with amusement.

Astral snorted. “You’re insufferable, you know that?”

Frisky seemed to smirk. “Well, to be fair, I am made in your image.”

Astral couldn’t help but feel a bit of pride at that jab. “Clever boy,” he murmured, mussing Frisky’s plated mane.

Accepting his praise, Frisky let out an electronic purr, scraping his tail across the floor. But in the next moment, he was looking dead at Astral. “Even if a god needs no reason, that doesn’t mean he has none.”

Astral sighed. “It’s really no use fighting you, is it? You’re the second-smartest being in existence.”

Frisky’s expression didn’t change. “Tell me, why do you play the villain? You were meant to be the leader.”

“There’s more than one way to lead, Frisk.” Astral jammed his hands in his pockets, coming to the end of a the hallway. Tall iron elevator doors loomed over him.

“Even so, this was hardly necessary. Didn’t you want to be the only invincible one?” Frisky stepped forward and pressed his nose against the button. Almost instantly, the doors chimed open.

Astral stepped into the lift, then turned back to face Frisky. “I’m a benevolent god. Besides, some people are worth preserving.”

Frisky dipped his head and padded back towards Scarlette’s cell. Astral watched him leave as the elevator doors slid shut. He could’ve sworn he heard Frisky mutter under his breath, “Just be careful not to destroy her in the process.”

Astral’s gaze fell to the floor as the elevator slowly ascended. When the doors opened on his level, he had been staring for quite a while.

Soundlessly, he trudged into his bedroom. It was sparsely decorated, with a single mattress lying in the exact center of the room. A nightstand and lamp stood beside it.
Wearily, Astral plunked on his bed, lying back. Staring at the ceiling, he exhaled heavily. Frisky was right. A goddess built on lies was no goddess at all. “Fine then,” he relented softly. “Tomorrow, the truth.”

The vigor escaped his lungs with a sigh. Astral gritted his teeth as a sharp wave of pain punctured his chest. “Why?” he snarled.

He should be stronger than this. He swore that he’d be stronger than this. Emotions were chemicals. Genius was electricity. He was a machine.

Almost mechanically, his hand drifted toward his nightstand, shoving the drawer open. Groping around inside, Astral grasped a cold glass tube, holding it out in front of him. A murky blue liquid cavorted within the confines of the container.

Fixing a needle to the end of the tube, he held it above his body with both hands. Inhaling sharply, he stabbed the syringe downwards into his leg. He hissed softly as the needle emptied the nightmares into his blood.

As the room tilted sideways, Astral felt himself slipping back into the darkness, hopefully to emerge stronger than before.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

15 Reviews

Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:52 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

The echo of the footsteps disappeared and I finally sit up. My body aches and my throat is on fire. I could sleep, but there was no way Im going to let myself. Not after that. I slowly stand up, and look at myself at the tiny mirror on the wall.
My skin and face are covered in grime and dirt. My hair is stringy and dirty. My face is hollow, and my eyes are stained red.

"Don't like what you see?" A voice says from behind me. I don't turn.

"No I don't. It's just I've only now realized that I haven't seen my reflection since I was sent to the island. I miss shampoo, and I miss lavender soap. God, I wish I could take a shower." A tear falls from my eye, but I quickly wipe it away. "It's stupid. How much you can miss the vain things. For instance, I miss shopping, I miss books...and I even miss stupid commercials....It's all so stupid!" I punch the mirror sending shards everywhere.

I am hideous.

"You are angry." The voice says.

"Of course I'm angry. I'm always...so angry." I turn to see the mechanical lion from the island. I gasp and back up.

"Now. Now. No need to be frightened. I'm not here to chase you...just talk."

"How?" I stare wide eyed. "Astral?" I ask.

"Yes." He replies. "Now why are you angry child."

"Why not? I've lost everything. I lost my family, my friends, my life...my dignity. Dont I deserve five minutes to just be angry?"

"I see. Well, I've got time." I watch as the creature lays down, and stares at me. I don't know why, but I tell him my story. I tell him about my mom, the labs, the island, and the nightmares. And he listens. There's no judgement, and he doesn't seem...well, evil like I thought. In this moment this creature taught me that even monsters are not all they seem to be. Sometimes monsters are created, and even then it's not what they are that defines them. But who they are.

"Thank you." I say. I gently pat his mane.

"For?" He asks.

"I'll let you know when I know" He seems to smile.

"Scarlette. Can I tell you something about Astral?" I remove my hand from his mane.

"What?" I ask cautiously.

"The boy is not as heartless as he may seem. He has simply been tortured by life just like all of you have. Just remember that."

"I won't forgive him...Ever." I say.

"I didn't ask you to Scarlette. Just the same way you won't ask others to forgive you one day. Sometimes that desicion gets made with time, and understanding." He walks torwards the door and leaves me alone in the cold cell.

A monster.

In the hall I hear Frisky faintly whisper. "You're welcome you fool."
He must be talking to Astral.

A monster.

Like me.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

99 Reviews

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:13 am
View Likes
Snoops says...

Two months later

"I'm fine. I don't want to be another second in that bed...there's this huge woman who keeps throwing me back onto the bed every time I try to sneak out. Its a miracle I escaped her this time!" I tell Kirsten and Ty. They look at me suspicioly. "I swear, look!" I breathed fire the other direction. "See!"
"Just because you can breathe fire, doesn't mean you are okay again!" Kirsten pointed out.
"Yes it does!!!! Can we just do something fun? I have been bored out of my mind for weeks."
"Well, want to practice some combat like we used to do at the island." Ty suggested.
"Okay!" I said excited.
"No...Carlos should go back to bed. He's not well yet." Kirsten ruined the fun.
"Please! Please! Please! I'll do anything, just don't make me go back..." I begged.
"Come on, Kir, let the kid do it. He deserves it, I mean, he hasn't put anything on fire yet that's a record."
"Fine. But not too long, just for two hours and then back to bed. Promise?" She said.
"Promise."
"Can you sneak towards the gym?" Ty asked.
"Well, duh, I can become invisible remember." 
They nodded and I turned invisible, then we walked over to the gym.
"Who am I fighting first?" I ask.
"Shhhhh....stop talking."
I rolled my eyes and kept quiet. We passed Matt, I hardly recognized him, he looked exhausted and so skinny. My stomach clenched, how could we have stopped looking?
I sprinted towards him and grabbed his wrist, pulling him to the back of a tree. His eyes widened in shock until something clicked.
"Carlos?" He asked.
I nodded but then remembered he couldn't see me and turned back to being visible.
"Yep."
"Are you getting better?" He asked concerned.
"Much better. I wanted to ask you something."
"Okay, something wrong?"
"Well, how's the search of Scar going?"
"Okay...I suppose. I mean...were doing the best we can. Another team is being deployed next week."
"I want to come with. I can help and I know that island....I also know Astral!" I said quickly.
"Ty and Kirsten have already asked me a million times...the answer in no. We don't know if he might kidnap you guys too or something. I mean, last time you saw him, he shot you eleven times!"
"And I'm okay now."
"After two months and it was a close call."
"He has shown no interest in kidnapping any of us. Please Matt..."
"The answer is no Carlos, sorry."
"Fine" I muttered around to see the infirmary woman walking me way. She reminded me of a pug because when she got angry, her eyes seemed to pop  out, and around me, she was usually angry.
I left Matt and ran towards my friends who were still walking slowly towards the gym.
"Run!" I told them. They started to sprint with me. Looking back at that, I know that they could of just kept walking and be fine but I think they ran for the hell of it. We raced passed the training center, the canteen, the strategy place, all the way to the cabins. It was tiring even for me, but the woman caught me and literally threw me over her shoulder. Bringing me back to the infirmary. And that's how I managed to escape the rage of the mean infirmary lady for 10 minutes....worth it.

Previously Lau2001

Reviews: 0
Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:11 pm
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Matt

It had been an exhausting two months. Everyone was was getting edgy and wanted to do something, but I couldn't let them go. I had orders. Blaze was a pain in the ass, but he was still a superior. After my run in with Carlos, I finally decided to do something. I found Leon at the beach, aimlessly throwing rocks into the ocean, an ATV running idly. I walked up to him." Long time no see." He said, throwing another rock. He turned around to face me." What can I do for you." I looked him square in the eye." You left the information about Ying for a reason. You or Blak, I'm not sure. I need to know... Why?" Leon twitched a little, the way he does when he's fighting for control. I could tell who was in charge by the next words out of his mouth.

"Why Mattie, I thought you'd never ask." Blak grinned at me than leaned down to grab another rock." You see, Ying is basically, and possibly the superior too our pal Astral. Almost the same powers. Ying is just... A little crazy. I mean, your government killed all his friends. He escaped, and now he's making a life out in the Himilayas." I cocked my head." How would you know all this?" Blak grinned at me." I like to keep tabs on potential pawns." He threw the rock." You see, Ying may not be quite... Oh what's the word I'm looking for? Sane. He's basically insane. However, if we pointed him in the direction of Astral... There's no telling what might happen." I plopped down into the sand." And there's no telling if he'll turn on us." Blak grinned." Oh I can assure you he'll turn on us... Just maybe not me."

I looked at him." So what should we do? If we can use Ying to take back my sister, I'm willing to take that chance." Blak clapped his hands in fake excitement." Oh I've always loved the sneaky side of you Matt." I raised an eyebrow." You don't even know what I'm about to say." He winked." I can make a really good guess." I smiled back at him." How about you and I take a trip to the Himilayas?" He smirked." Thought you'd never ask Mattie. And I'm going to assume that we're not taking the gang with us?" I shook my head." If Ying is Astral on steroids, on know from personal experience, you can handle him." Blak laughed cruelly." Oh that's a fact. But perhaps I should've made sure the job was finished when I tossed him off that cliff."

"We'll leave in three days. Make sure Leon doesn't say anything about our trip. Or else the others will demand to go and I don't want to deal with that annoyance. It'll be just you and I. I can handle transport, you handle-." Blak grinned wickedly." And I can handle the lab monkey. Don't worry Mattie boy, Leon won't utter a peep about our top secret mission that could possibly get him killed and tear away any hopes he had staying by Kirsten's side." I nodded." See to it." Blak snapped a snarky salute." Aye aye captain."
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

45 Reviews

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:00 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Leon

The sun was going down by the time I mounted the ATV again. I could see why Tybalt liked these things. The wind felt wonderful on my face, and speeding along the shore, I could almost imagine I was going fast enough to outrun everything. The Whitecoats, Blak, my own guilt, everything. But I wasn't in the mood to relish the drive back to base.
'I won't let you do this, Blak. I don't know why you want to help Matt, but I won't leave Kirsten here alone.'

Blak sniffed derisively. 'You sound like you think you can stop me.

I can this time. I'll tell the others. You can't take me over every time I open my mouth, Blak.

Blak was silent for a moment, then he chuckled. 'Oh, you won't tell anyone anything, Leon. Mattie asked me to keep our mission a secret, and I'm prepared to go to great lengths to do just that.

My eyes widened. I stopped the ATV and sat there, not sure how to respond. I couldn't say "you wouldn't" Because this was Blak, and I knew he would if given an opportunity.
I could almost hear Blak smirking 'That's right, Leon. Speak one word of this to any of them, and I'll kill them all, starting with Kirsten. Do I have your word?
I scowled at the sand, I don't know why I try to control him.
"Yes..." I whispered to the ground. "My lips are sealed, Blak."

Blak chortled again. Good, good. This will be so much fun!

177 Reviews

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:53 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

Astral Venceworth

Drifting...drifting...until his feet hit solid ground.

Astral opened his eyes, looking around. The dream was an iridescent fog, coiling around his ankles. Walking forward, he could see the multicolored setting taking shape, mist clustering and becoming solid.

Astral smirked, flexing and clenching his hands. “Alright, nightmare,” he muttered. “Let’s see what horrors you have planned for me tonight.”

Gradually, the scene drifted into focus. Astral raised his arm as a young boy brushed by, scampering after a cat. The boy had unnerving yellow eyes and copper-brown hair.

Astral walked after the boy as he chased the cat further down the hallway. It irked him that he could not hear his own footsteps; they often added a finality to his presence.

The boy laughed as he capered throughout the elaborate wooden hall, past the many doors of a mansion. Astral brushed his fingers over the burgundy frames. He remembered each and every detail of this place. Including the crash.

Almost on cue, a smashing sound occurred from behind one of the doors. The young boy stopped, leaping, but falling short of yelping. Astral smirked at his almost cartoonish reaction.

Voices could be heard from behind the door, which was slightly ajar. Speaking of jars, the china shards of one had scattered across the floor inside. Astral viewed it coldly through the slit.

The boy was tiptoeing towards the door, bowing his head a bit, intimidated by the voices inside. Astral leaned back against the wall, watching.

A woman spoke. “I’m not going to let you pawn off our son!” The voice was low and threatening, like a cougar ready to strike.

A man’s voice responded, imperiously flooding the air. “This is his destiny! He can do this!”

“But will he?” The woman’s voice was breaking with emotion. Astral knew that she was crying.

“Yes,” the man replied firmly.

A silent shake of the head. “You have no idea what this will do to him. He’ll-”

And then the boy, the foolish, foolish golden-eyed boy, burst through the door, breaking into the study. “It’s alright, Mom!” he shouted. “I’ll do it!”

Astral scoffed. “I’ve seen enough,” he murmured. Striding into the study, he gripped the boy’s skull with one hand.

With a wet crunch, he closed his fist.

The boy toppled to the ground, crimson fluid leaking from his head. The man and woman stared, horrified, at the corpse of their son.

Astral ground his heel into the boy’s back. His flesh felt papery; his blood looked like dust. “Next,” he said.

As if in response, the child’s body dissipated into mist. The world collapsed and became fog once more. It whirled about him, guiding him to another scene.

Astral relaxed, closed his eyes, and took in a deep breath. It tasted like acid.

His eyes shot open, recognizing the scene immediately. A harsh light shone from the ceiling, which was one of two features in the room. The other was a boy, strapped to a table.

His cheeks had been streaked with tears, and his throat had been screamed raw. His fingernails had cut into his palms, and now blood oozed from the wounds. His trembling gaze was fixated on the needle above him.

Astral watched the needle slowly descend, the golden liquid within gleaming. He could hear the dim murmurs of the scientists over the speakers as they wearily shuffled through their notes for the thousandth time.

“Gotta be strong…” the boy mumbled, his voice breaking. “Gotta be-”

The needle stabbed into his forehead. A bloodcurdling scream reverberated around the room, threatening to shatter Astral’s ears. The boy writhed against his restraints, convulsing as the ichor was emptied into his brain. Slowly, from the roots, his copper-brown hair began to grey.

Astral laughed, tossing his silver head back. Drinking in the sheer terror, he grinned. “Is that it? Come on! Give me your worst!” he dared the dream, cackling as the mist began to spiral around him once again.

“Hm?” Astral stopped laughing. Looking around, he could only see a blank, white void that stretched on into infinity. “What’s this?”

He stepped forward. The sound of his feet echoed through the emptiness.

Astral sighed through his nose. “Pathetic,” he murmured.

A light seemed to grow on the horizon, reaching its bright tendrils up into the world. Astral rubbed his chin, puzzling over its meaning.

A low chuckle from behind him answered the question. Astral turned around to see his shadow growing behind him, until a pair of crimson eyes stared up from the inky mire.

“Ah.” Astral crouched, smiling slightly. “Are you my greatest fear?” The shadow hadn’t moved, and he ran his finger over the blackened earth.

Blak’s shadowy smile grew unnervingly wide. “Not really. I’m only a fragment of your hell.”

“Astral!” A single, enraged cry shook the white mist.

Blak chuckled. “And here come the others.”

Hiding a grimace, Astral turned around, already knowing who would be there. “Kirsten. There is such thing as a proper volume for a greeting.” Two pairs of yellow eyes locked across the void, one callous and calm, the other narrowed in rage.

“I’ll kill you!” Kirsten cried, thrusting her hands forward. Magic circles gleamed in the air around her arms. The runes began to rotate, warping into a blinding light.

Astral cursed, shielding his eyes against the radiant magic. Blak cackled as his shadow swelled behind.

“You know, Kirsten,” Astral said as the light died down, “if that’s all your petty tricks are capable of, you might as well-”

He cut off as the claws dug into his chest. Stumbling backwards, he felt the cobalt blades rip through his veins. “What-”

Tybalt slammed his paws into Astral’s shoulders, sending him flying backwards. Blood flew from Astral’s mouth as he skidded across the terrain. His ribs cracked as he landed, making him cry out. Pain, he realized vaguely. How...is this possible?

Chains of shadow wrapped around his wrists, hoisting him up. “What’s the matter, Astral?” Leon purred, clenching his fist to tighten the violet shackles. “Weren’t you going to defeat me?”

The chains locked around his throat, forcing Astral to clench his neck. The shadow links froze his skin, numbing his arms. “You can’t...kill me…” he grunted.

A fist crashed into his chest, knocking the air from his lungs. Scarlette stood there, striking blow after blow into his body. Her eyes were filled with wrath as her fists destroyed his heart.

Matthew raised his rifle, emptying the magazine into Astral’s writhing body. Each bullet ripped through his chest, painting the white ground with ribbons of blood.

Kirsten dashed forward with inhuman speed, aiming a kick at Astral’s head, cracking his skull. Blood cascaded from his forehead into his eyes as the gate Kirsten had summoned churned once more.

“I’ll murder you!” Carlos roared, charging forward. Trails of flame leaked from the edge of his mouth as he ran towards Astral, a hellstorm brewing behind his gritted teeth.

Astral exhaled as the scene seemed to slow down. He could see the Heroes of the Shadows, fighting as one, their faces distorted by pure hatred. He could feel the chains slithering up his neck, hissing into his ear.

“All of them,” Blak whispered maliciously. “The entire team, united against you.”

Despite himself, Astral grinned, blood trickling through his teeth. “Then, what I have here is my perfect victory. Do you hear me, monster?” he laughed as his eyes widened. “I won.”

Blak just chuckled, falling silent once again. Another fist connected with Astral’s ribcage, as a bullet blazed past his ear. Carlos skidded to a halt, his cheeks filling with flames.

“Go on,” Astral smirked. “Destroy me.”

An explosion of scarlet billowed from Carlos’ lips, crackling as it rush forward to feast on Astral’s flesh. Astral beamed as the crimson flower swept over him, bathing him in agony. He could smell the skin burning, and feel the tissue melting away.

A cold laugh filled him with dread. Blak’s shadow grew behind the intense light of the flames, twisting and pulsing. Astral could see the wicked tendrils growing at the edge of his vision. The Heroes kept fighting, battering away heedlessly at the mad genius as the shadows grew behind him.

Astral’s blood froze as Blak cackled, the miasma surging forward, crashing against his back. The silver-haired boy screamed as his body was devastated between the flames and the darkness.

Ebony liquid trickled from his shoulders as the flames ravaged his front. Matthew shot him through the chest as his left eye boiled from his skull. Astral grimaced, spreading his arms against the shadows that surged around them.

“This is your fear,” Blak thundered. “Tell me, O god of knowledge, what is the limit of your strength?”

Astral roared as Tybalt brought his claws down, ripping through the muscle and bone of his arm. Blood spurted from the stump as the shadows gnawed hungrily at his form.

The silver-haired god gritted his teeth, blood pouring from his broken skull. “My name is Astral Venceworth! The god of knowledge! The god of power! I’ll take any amount of pain,” he declared, clenching his fist, “to defeat the shadows!”

“Tsk, tsk, tsk,” Blak rebuked. “Astral, I think you’ll find that the shadows are the ones who’ll destroy you.”

Suddenly, the flames burned out, and Scarlette dashed forward, readying her fist. The other heroes stood back as she let out a fierce cry, her blond hair streaming behind her.

Astral watched her run towards him, a tear forming in his remaining eye. “No…”

Scarlette thrust her fist forward, the indomitable force of hatred burning behind it. Astral’s vision turned crimson as his skull caved in and he was launched backwards, into the darkness.

And as the shadows swallowed him whole, Astral could see Blak’s ebony tide rushing forward, enveloping Scarlette as well. The last thing he saw was her hand, reaching up briefly through the miasma of black, before nothing could be seen except the hungry shadows.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

15 Reviews

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:25 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

Astral's screams echo through the walls of this prison. Loud and painful enough to rattle your bones, and freeze your blood.

Did I sound like this?

I cover my ears and clench my eyes shut. It feels like hours before the screaming stops.
What could he possibly be seeing? And why do I feel sympathy for that monster?
I can hear Matt's voice whisper in the back of my mind.

"You care about others. That's what you do." He once told me this the day he made me stick up to a bully at school. He told me to forgive him, and move on.

"Best not to let what others do change who you are Scar. No matter what." Oh god I miss him.

I'm knocked out of my daydream by loud footsteps that echo through the hallway.

Astral.

Trailing behind I also hear the clicking of metal against the concrete floor.

Frisky.

I will not let him see me like this. Crumbled and broken on this cold floor. I will not be his play toy to abuse and wear down. I grip the side of the metal bed next to me, and pull myself up. My knees wobble, but I manage to lean against the wall. White spots flood my vision, but I ignore them. When Astral comes into view at first I don't recognize him. His eyes are hallow and his face is swollen.
Wait...I have seen this before. It's the same look I had when I woke up after the nightmares.

"You here to torture me some more? I honestly don't know what else you could do. You've already put me through hell." I spit at him.

"Enough." He says emotionless. He turns to Frisky. "Take her upstairs, and get her cleaned up. Do you understand?"

"What am I, your slave?" He asks.

"You, are my creation and you will do as I say!" Astral yells. I jump at the tone.

"Yes sir." Frisky snarls. Astral then leaves without another word.

"Come with me." The cell door opens and Frisky leads me upstairs to what appears to be a living quarters. So many rooms, but no residents. No windows either.

What is this place?

"Take your time. I hope you have everything you need." And then just like that Frisky was gone too. I'm too weak to escape now, and I wouldn't even know where to begin. I don't know where I am, or what I'm in. But that is for a later time. I need to get my strength back.
I slowly turn the knob of the shower handle, and watch as the room fills with steam. The warm water feels great against my clammy cold skin. Dirt washes down the drain, and I almost feel myself again...almost. After I finish washing I can't get myself to get out. I feel like if I keep scrubbing my guilt will wash down the drain as well.

My Mom.
The Scientists
Carlos.
All my fault.

I finally decide to get out after the water starts to run cold, and my arm feels raw from the scrubbing. I dry myself off and hold up the new clothes laying on the counter. A pair of black pants, and a blue long sleeve shirt. I run my hands along the soft cotton. I haven't worn clean clothes in months. I look in the mirror and see a girl I don't recognize. It's still me, but older, thinner, and sadder. It's hard to explain. The only thing that seems the same is the natural curl in my hair, and my mothers piercing blue eyes staring back at me. The only thing I truly have left of her.

I step out of the bathroom, and Frisky leads me back to my cell. It almost seems like it's not as cold as it used to be. Astral slowly enters the hallway. He stops and stares at me through the bars for a moment. He remains alarmed and cold, but his eyes are relaxed watching me. My face goes red suddenly feeling self conscious.

What could that creep possibly be looking at?

I break away from his eye contact, and slide down the wall. I sit bringing my knees to my chest.

"Leave us." He orders Frisky. Frisky turns to me, but quickly nods and leaves the hall.

"You." I say. "You used the nightmare serum. I can tell because, you have that look. Why? Why would you do that?" I ask baffled.

"Conquering fears is the only way to make sure you don't have any." He says.

"On the contrary. I feel like you discover more fears when you fight the ones that haunt you the most. You find new ones you never expected." There is a flash in his eyes when I say this. "The real question is what did you see?"

"Like I'm going to tell you!" He scoffs.

"It's haunts you, doesn't it? You thought it would be easy didn't you? I for one, can tell you that your nightmares will destroy you if you abuse them. Then again, I should let you destroy yourself. I keep telling myself that, but unlike you I feel like people deserve more than this." I gesture around myself. He laughs.

"Says the stupid little girl who can't even forgive herself. Let me guess. That's your biggest fear right? Coming to the conclusion that your life will never belong to you ever again? It now belongs to your victims. Your power." I stay silent as he stares at me. Eyes bulging.

"That's what I thought." He says. He begins to walk away.

"It's strange." I say. He stops in his tracks, but doesn't turn. "After all you did to me I should be thinking about my friends. My brother. But instead I'm thinking about you, and how sorry I feel for you. Death is an easy thing." Tears form in my eyes. "It's easy to die, and it's quick. I know. Trust me I know. I've wanted it long enough. What's not easy, is beating someone's will to fight. I've done so many terrible things, but I'm still here! My mother, the most wonderful person I've ever known, was murdered for nothing. Why should people like me live when she got her life taken from her by someone just as scared in that moment? It's not fair! You, are sitting there with all that power, and you're abusing it. You're choosing to be evil because of this stupid fantasy of yours! If there's one thing I've learned from all the stupid fairy tales out there it's this. The bad guy never wins. And even in this hell I've been living in for the past 4 years, that is the one thing I still try to believe. You have a choice and you're choosing wrong!" I stand and run to the bars.

"Enough!" He charges to me. His red face inches from mine staring down at me. "I am a God!" The bars separate us, but I don't run back. I stand my ground.

"No! You, are a sad little boy who doesn't understand the fact that you are flawed. This plan of yours is flawed. You are no King, or God! You're kingdom will fall faster than your victims!" I stare at him a moment. My heart is beating fast, and I feel his staggered breaths against my cheeks. I come closer and whisper in his ear. "Death is easy Astral, but it's peoples will to survive that makes it so hard." I repeat. "You will not win, but you still have the chance to change your fate. Before you go to far. To the point where you can't come back." I realize I'm not only saying this to him, but to myself as well. Tears stream down my face. I stare into his eyes our faces still inches apart. I notice the grip of a knife in his hand. He doesn't seem to notice the reflex. His stare is locked to mine.

What is he thinking

"Do it." I finally whisper, and I stare into his eyes.

45 Reviews

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:21 am
Europa says...

Kirsten Rhett

"Have you noticed anything strange about Leon lately?" I asked Carlos. he had finally been discharged from the hospital and we were in the courtyard, I don't think he wanted to be inside after being restricted to a bed for two moths.
Carlos flashed me a sideways glance. "It's Leon, Kirs. Strange is kind of a regular thing for him."
"I'm serious, Carlos. He been acting...wired. He's been really jumpy and reclusive."
"Again, we're talking about Leon, the jumpy loner. He's like that all the time."
"Yeah, but he's not like that with me, Carlos. I'm worried about him."
Carlos smiled at me. "I'm sure he's fine."
I spotted Leon outside the barracks, he looked cautiously around, then slipped into the building. Carlos and I watched him disappear.
"...Okay, he might be acting a little wired." Carlos conceded.
We followed Leon stealthily into the bunkhouse, and spotted him climbing up onto his cot. He pulled a yellow folder from under it.

A file.

Leon opened it gingerly, as if the slightest squeeze would make it crumble into dust. I craned my neck, straining to see more of the file from my hiding place. All I could see was a photo.

Of me.

I gasped, and met Carlos's eye. It's mine! I mouthed. But why? Why had he hid this from me. This was the answer to everything, he had it all along and never told me! I stood and emerged from my hiding place. "What's that?" I asked, forcing curiosity into the question. Leon's head snapped up. "Kirsten! Hi! This, it's uh....uhm..."

"Busted!" Carlos's voice called.
Leon hid his face in his hand. "Kir, I'm sorry, I can't tell you."

"Why not?" I demanded, my anger growing. "I already know what it is, so why can't you tell me what's inside? Or, better yet why you never told me you had it!"
"Kir, please--"
"That file has everything in it! I could finally find answers to all my questions, I could find my past, my memories in there!"
Leon only stared at me. Then gave a small twitch and disappeared, leaving the file on the cot.
Carlos became visible again and stood beside me.
"Well." He said. Guess that about summed it up.

177 Reviews

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 am
Chaser says...

Astral Venceworth

“Do it,” Scarlette whispered.

Astral”s eyes widened, his fist clenching over the knife in his hand. He took a trembling breath, staring straight at Scarlette. Her gaze had no trace of hatred; it was pure pity that stared him in the face.

He hung his head bitterly, gritting his teeth. “I won’t.”

Before Scarlette could sigh in relief, his eyes shot back up, glaring with twice the intensity. “Kill me instead.”

He flicked his wrist, throwing the knife. Scarlette caught it, blinking in surprise.

Astral smiled. A part of him still enjoyed getting one over on people. Bringing his arm back, he swung his fist into the bars, bashing them all to the side. They crashed against the wall in a cacophony, leaving Astral and Scarlette standing there with nothing between them.

Astral jerked a thumb towards his neck. “One cut, or else I might survive.”

Scarlette just stared at him with the same compassion-filled eyes as before. “Astral…”

“Come on,” Astral said, tapping his finger in agitation. “Do it. Conquer your fear, and deliver justice. Well?!?” He waved his arms angrily. “Come on! The villain’s standing right in front of you!”

“Astral…” Tears started to run down Scarlette’s cheeks. She was crying...for him.

“Don’t give me that!” Astral roared, clenching his fists. “I’m just a monster like you, right? So shut up and kill me! You’re the hero, I’m the villain! So kill me!”

“It’s not too late-”

“Of course it is!” Astral screamed. “It was too late the moment I decided to be something. It was too late when I let them ship you off to God knows where! This is justice!” He stomped on the floor, denting the stone with a web of cracks.

Scarlette refused to wither beneath his tirade. “You care about us.”

“That doesn’t matter,” Astral broke, shaking his head. “None of that matters. Don’t you see? This is the best option. This is the only option.

“Don’t you get it?” He smiled, though his chest felt like it was corroding from the inside out. “I saw it in my nightmare. I’m not strong enough to be the hero. But you,” he jabbed a triumphant finger at Scarlette, “you can be perfect. You can be the greatest, happiest person to ever live. And all you need to do,” he declared, staring fearlessly ahead, “is throw that knife.”

He grinned, imitating a throw. “Flick your wrist, and toss it in. Perfectly deadly, and it won’t get blood on your hands.” His voice was calm, and his smile was radiant.

Scarlette was silent for a moment, a gaze hidden behind blond hair. When she looked up, Astral could see the tears in her eyes.

Just her righteous compassion. It would mean nothing were this not hard for her. Astral spread his arms wide, as though to hug his demise as an old friend.

The knife glinted in Scarlette’s hand as she spoke. “...Fine.”

Astral smiled as his heart drifted apart inside him.

Slowly, Scarlette drew her hand back. Her stance was awkward and unbalanced, but it would do. Planting her foot in the concrete floor, she whipped her arm forward, releasing her grip. Astral saw the knife leave her fingertips, the condemning flash of silver in the grey cell.

Astral focused his mind, dedicating the final moments of his life to his death. Time seemed to slow down as his eyes dismantled each and every moment. The knife was forty inches away now.

The dagger spun forward, end over end, picking up speed as it flew. Thirty-two inches away. Astral felt himself chuckle, the weight lifting from his shoulders. Eighteen inches away. He could see Scarlette crying, tears glimmering as they fell. Just as well, he thought. Pain makes you stronger.

Ten inches away. Astral could see his thin reflection in the blade. His face was disfigured by grotesque fury. A worthy villain to be slain, he thought.

Five inches away. His mind wandered back to Kirsten and Leon, Carlos, Matthew, and Tybalt. He wished he could apologize, but that might have made him less reviled.

Two inches away. Astral nodded slightly, accepting everything and nothing. He closed his eyes, waiting for the world to be reborn.

The knife halted in midair, an inch from his neck. He heard Scarlette release a trembling breath, confirming it.

Astral opened his eyes. Scarlette had her hands outstretched, straining as though pulling at an invisible string. Astral watched in disbelief as the knife floated away from his neck.

Scarlette grimaced as she closed her hand, tightening her fist. The knife’s blade compacted in on itself, crumpling like tin foil. The ruined blade hung in the air for the briefest of moments, before Scarlete flicked her wrist and tossed it against the wall. It made a small, insignificant plink as it landed.

Astral stood stone-still and stared at Scarlette, the rest of the world seeming to fall away. The girl offered a small smile in response.

“No.” Astral shook his head slowly. “No, no, no!” His voice resounded, echoing through the halls of his lair. “This isn’t possible!”

“Astral.” Scarlette walked forward calmly.

His fingers groped over his skull, messing up his silver hair. “How...how could this happen? Everything was perfect...you were perfect!” A ghastly moan welled up from inside him, ripping through the air.

Scarlette didn’t wince or flinch; she kept advancing as though nothing else mattered.

His body trembled in dismay. “Why...why didn’t you do it? Can’t you understand it? I’m evil! I’m a monster! I deserve-”

A warm sensation enveloped him as Scarlette wrapped her arms around his body. “It’s okay,” she said, her voice low and soothing. “It’s okay.”

The anger in his heart melted away at once, leaving sheer, terrible pain in its stead. Astral buried his face in Scarlette’s shoulder, his tears staining her shirt. His voice broke into trembling sobs.

A long time ago, he’d said that tears were worthless. Their only use was a cry out for pity. But now, he no longer cared. Sorrow stabbed into his chest, the guilt washing over him like a wave of light.

Scarlette smiled gently, rubbing his back. “Even with all of your genius theories, there was one thing you could never predict. Somebody caring.”

Astral said nothing, but the truth rang in his soul, loud and clear.

“You never expected to be loved. You never even cared about it. And you thought that was your greatest strength - to be able to sacrifice yourself for the sake of the world.” She shook her head, chuckling. “You’re such an idiot. That’s not strength - that’s weakness.”

Astral choked on his words. “What have I done to deserve this?” he rasped.

“Oh, nothing much,” Scarlette said. “You just cared, that’s all.”

“And what about you? Didn’t you want to ascend beyond your fears?” Astral retorted, laughing bitterly.

“You don't need power for that, Astral. Sometimes, you just need people there with you.”

Astral said nothing, tugging Scarlette’s shirt to pull her closer to him. The two stood there in the grey stone cell, prisoner and jailer. Warmth spread through Astral’s chest, and his heart seemed to beat once again.

“Thank you,” he whispered.

Outside the cell, Frisky lay on his stomach, his tail swishing amusedly over the floor. “You’re welcome,” he murmured.

99 Reviews

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:45 pm
View Likes
Snoops says...

My jaw was wide in shock. How could he just leave Kirsten like that? And what was in that file? Kirsten had already started to spring towards it and I followed her. I felt my gut twist. If I was nervous, how would she feel?
“Kirs...maybe I should read it first and tell you if you want to hear it? Maybe there horrible things written there.”
“I don't care. I need to know. Just... just promise me that whatever it says in this file, you won't treat me differently.”
“What do you mean? I would never.”
“Just promise you won't.”
“Okay, I promise.” my heart sinks a little.
She opened the file slowly and cautiously, as if opening it too quickly it could explode, and we both sat on the floor. Her fingers were trembling and her face was paler than usual. I put my hand on her shoulder and smiled at her. I hope it helped a little. We put the file in front of us and didn't even really read it. Just stare at twelve year old Kirsten. She hadn't really changed that much, sometimes you could see that girl when Kirsten smiled. But as I compared the two girls know, the one sitting beside me looked so tired, haunted, sick of all of it. I guess we all were. Kirsten took a deep breath and read the first words out loud.
“Subject: 004. Name: Kirsten Rhett. Age: 12.” her voice was shaky and her throat seemed dry.
“Should I keep going?” she nodded slowly. “Reaction to process: Good and stable. Status: Alive. Family:...” And then I gasped. I couldn't speak. I don't know how, I just went mute.
“What?” Kirsten demanded. “What does it say?”
“Kirsten, I...I...” She grabbed the file from my hands. And read the rest.
“Family: Leon Rhett.” For a few minutes everything stopped. Everything. We just soaked in the words. And it clicked. All of it. Why he only talked to her. Why he was in her dreams. Why he watched her. He loved her. And then my heart skipped a beat. She had a family. A real one.
“Kirsten, this is great.”
“Great?” her voice seemed unsure, still letting the words sink in.
“Of course, you have a brother! A real one. Not how you call me your brother, but a blood one. One who was there all your life!”
“Why wouldn't he tell me?!” her voice snapped, throwing the file across the room.
“Maybe he was scared how you would react. Maybe he didn't want to scare you away.”
“But..he knew all along. I told him how I always wondered if I had a family, and he was part of it. He was part of me growing up and he didn't tell me. Any of it. He probably knows how old I really am. My birthday. If we had pets. Or what food I like. He knew all of it.” and then Kirsten broke down to tears. I sometimes forgot how lucky I was to still have memories to cling to, maybe mine weren't the best, but I would rather have these than nothing. Memories keep you sane, remind you that you have been in worse places. Remind you who you love, fear, hate, pity. Remind you who you are and who you are meant to be. Even the small ones matter. Usually they matter the most. I hugged her and didn't let go for a long while, and I didn't mind. If anyone deserved to break down it would be Kirsten. It must be hard to be strong. To want to hide your emotions so much. To be afraid of what other people think if you showed weakness.
“Kirsten, I love you.” I told her. For a few seconds she stopped crying and it was silent. She looked at me and smiled.
“I love you too, Carlos.” she said, tears falling from her cheeks.
“I know, I just think sometimes you forget we're here for you.”
She stayed quiet at that and rubbed the tears of her cheeks.
“Don't.” I told her. “Cry. There's no point in keeping it all boiled inside. Just let it out. Tell me whats wrong.” Kirsten just smiled again and hugged me. I hugged her back and we didn't let go. Did she remember the last time she got to cry? And was she allowed to let it out that time? Did she remember what it felt like to just be sad?

Previously Lau2001

No, it's not that you didn't succeed. You accomplished a lot, but, if you want to touch people, don't concentrate so much on rhyme and metre. Think more about what you want to say instead of how you're saying it.
— LCDR Geordi La Forge