C.A.M.P.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:01 am
View Likes
Carina says...

The Inota Region

A Pokemon SB created by Carina and Omni.
Only minimum knowledge of Pokemon is required to join.

You are sitting at home. It's a hot summer day, and nothing is happening, but you know the mail is coming today. You have a feeling it is coming. Every hair on your body is standing up on end, and you can just feel the excitement boil in your heart, because any minute
now—

Your parents just walked in with the mail. Like lightning you dash to see if anything is for you. They've left it on the counter, not even bothering to look through it. Your hand stretches for it, and now you're leafing through that pile of mail. Bill. Bill. Bill. Letter. Bi— WAIT! WAS THAT IT?! You come back to the letter. It's addressed to... you. Looking at the return address, you see the words:

Inota Region

Like lightning, you rip open the envelope and scan the letter’s contents.

Dear [name],

The magnificent world of Pokémon... a seemingly endless dream of adventure and fun. Filled with bonds of companionship between Pokémon and humans, living side-by-side one another. Together, we make the world a better place, for—

BORING. Your eyes skip down the page, until you read—

Upon reading your application, you are invited to partake in the year-long C.A.M.P. located in the Inota Region.

You cannot believe your eyes. Excitedly, you skim through the rest of the letter quickly—

… learn how to become a trainer for no cost ... unearth your gifted potential ... Pokémon species from all of the regions … I have attached a map along with brochures that contains everything you need to know ... we urge you get to know your fellow campers … you have three days to prepare … once again, I congratulate you ...

Sincerely,
Thomas Tyme
Chairman of C.A.M.P.

Immediately you run to your room and start packing like crazy, waking your starter up. The ferry arrives in three days, and you are about to open the door to a new life. For years you have been forced to stay in your hometown, and you could only dream of becoming a trainer and travelling the world.

Not anymore.

Your dream has begun...
At least, you think it has.
After all, this is just a relaxing program to kickstart your training career…

...right?

"Istoria... "

[static]

"... the pawns—"

[indecipherable]

"the move—"

[white noise]

"...has begun."

Spoiler! :
Okumberry Town is undisturbed by time and the doings of civilization around it. The people there are more worried about their flowers and reaching the supposed riches at the bottom of the coast near the town.

Spoiler! :
Seemingly out of this world, Spirivit Woods is a stark contrast to the bustling cities just north of it. With the rumors of ghosts, its maze-like thicket and caves, and how lost in time it seems to be, it's no wonder this place is a must-see for tourists. Local natives believe that, even though there are no pokemon in Inota region, you can still hear the haunting memories of the ones who used to live in Spirivit Woods.

Spoiler! :
Dynameo City is the shining beacon of the Inota region. With its countless skyscrapers and amazing elevated roads and pavements, and eclectic group of citizens and tourists alike, this city is a sight to behold. However, underneath the city, there is a dark tale to be told.

Spoiler! :
Gerlite City sits in the hole of a large cliff, with half of it actually being in the side of the mountain, seemingly stuck out of the reach of any modern clutches. Many get-rich-quick people come to this town for its easy to access gems within the cliffs. There's mysterious things happening within the many narrow, winding caves deep within Gerlite City, though. The people who leave the town say the city seems to come alive at night. Most of them never come back.

Spoiler! :
Forhaven Town is the place the rest of the region forgot about. Halfway surrounded by the outskirts of Spirivit Woods and halfway isolated by a small mountain, this town holds people stuck in time and may unveil the truths and secrets of the Inota region. This safe-haven is accessible only through the treacherous Spirivit Woods.

Spoiler! :
In the far reaches of the Inota region lies Apoqua Island, a secluded homeland to a native people. Located outside the reaches of the destructive Mt. Crystal, this island is home to many strange and new pokemon.

Spoiler! :
Crystallite Cove encompasses half of the island located in Crystallite Sea. Located underneath the now-dormant Mt. Crystal, this is the tourist spot of the Inota region. With two bustling cities close to it, a dark past, and a rumor that the Cove holds a certain legendary secret within its depths, this place keeps the attention of the cities, region, and world.

Spoiler! :
Manisulla City plants its roots less with machines, and more with man-power. Featuring roads and trade routes to everything important in the region to basically every job known to man, this City may not mean much in the eye of the average tourist, but holds a special place in the hearts of the people who live there... and in the importance of the whole region.

Spoiler! :
Farrow Desert exists, although no one really knows why. Although no one really wants to figure out why either. Some conspiracy theorists believe that Avalon Industries are doing shady things in the middle of the desert, but that's just a theory... right?

Spoiler! :
Aester Island is the largest island in the Inota region, yet the littlest is known about it. High currents and constant storms keep the curious eye away. The only mention this island has ever had was about the rumor of large statues littering the island. No one knows what it holds, and no one is keen about trying to find out anytime soon.

Spoiler! :
Idema town holds all the people who were forced to leave their homes when Xpletus City had started construction. The inhabitants believe that the city is doomed by the sacred land it sits on. Despite Avalon Industries claiming the town is "a collection of all the insane in the Inota region," they may know more about what goes on within the city than anyone else.

Spoiler! :
Conferno City is the newest construction in the Inota region, and built to directly compete with Xpletus City. Featuring amazing technologies and eco-friendly machines, many people flock to this city in hopes of pokemon coming back to the region in the form of CAMP, Conferno City's newest pet project.

Spoiler! :
L'novus Town is the fashion center of the Inota region. Purposely excluding itself from the rest of the region while still staying close to tourist travel, this town proudly claims itself as the "most unique town in the world." The locals near the town have a different story to tell, though.

Spoiler! :
Denuo Town believes the Inota region is the future. It calls all upcoming scientists and engineering geniuses to flock in one place, with the result being Denuo Town. Disregarding conventional ways of building, it drained a lake and filled it with machinery and technology. Recently, it has built two rail systems to Conferno City and Manisulla City, in hopes of spreading a oasis-like mindset to the rest of the Inota region.

Spoiler! :
Dubbed X-City, Xpletus City is the self-proclaimed technology center of the world. Built under the name of Avalon Industries, it acts as a psuedo-governing body to the rest of the region, helping the towns in need prosper and expanding the Inota region from the nothing it was to the future of the pokemon world. Many, many conspiracies and debates revolve around this city and Avalon Industries itself.

Rules

Spoiler! :
- Follow YWS and Storybook Rules. They are there for a reason. If you don't follow them, we gonna have some problems.

- The SB Rating is 16+ for a reason. This is an SB full of hormonal teenage characters, after all. This means all types of cursing is allowed, except on the first paragraph. Be mindful of the front page. Mature themes are allowed as well, however, they should never be detailed or explicit.

- Only control your own character. On character interactions, please roleplay the scenes out with the other writers. If your character is named Bill and mine is Jane, I would not be allowed to write Bill's reactions to Jane's heart attack. The only excption to this rule is if it is a small or minor scene. This allows us to learn each other's characters better.

- Please stay dedicated. I know, we all have lives. I know how frustrating it is to have a huge pile of homework due tomorrow, but everyone is expecting an SB post. But if we're still willing to put up this SB and manage over it, we expect you to do the same.

- Communication is key. Don't expect to join this SB and never use the DT thread. It is there to discuss, talk, and develop plots. In addition, a group Skype will be made, and it is expected for you to use it to your advantage. This system will make it very easy to plot and work powerplay situations out.

- God-modding or Gary/Mary Sues will not make it through. We will read your character template, and we have been through enough storybooks to know what these characters look like. If, at any point in time before or during the storybook that your character exhibit the traits of God-mod or Gary/Mary Sue, we'll talk, then if it continues, we will remove your character from the storybook in deadly ways.

- This is an application-only SB, and your reservation must be the character template. We will only seek out the most realistic, wanted, and unique characters that will make this SB enjoyable for all, and understand that some characters may not be accepted. Please be professional about the application process, and understand that there will not be any bias involved. However, please also note that the quality of your application is important as well. But if you treat your application like a serious school assignment, then the determining factor is your character. You can reserve a spot in the Storybook, and a starter, but keeping them will be determined by your Character Template.

Guidelines

Spoiler! :
- Like each SB post after you read it. This helps us keep track of who all is still active in keeping up with the SB.

- Creativity is what this SB thrives off of. You have full control over your character and starter. Make them as crazy, freaky, or as weird as you would like. There is no limit, and you are the only one who controls your character's potential. However, after that, we control the nature of any pokemon your trainer catches. It will be completely random and no bias will be added. After all, that is how the games work. We have a system to make your pokemon as original as possible, and trust us, you will not be disappointed.

- Be creative, but have your characters be realistic. The program your character applied to is for older teenagers who wish to be trainers, but cannot due to a specific circumstance. This means your character will hardly know much about the Pokemon or the world aside from what they've read from books, and your character will really suck at battling. No prodigies and Ash Ketchums are allowed to bend this rule.

- The prettier your posts are, the better. This is not mandatory, but it is highly recommended. As many of us are visual learners, it is better to see a graphic of the character and their pokemon, than it is to just see their names. Feel free to use banners, bold, italicize, color, size, or any other visual feauture creatively. If you go too far, we will let you know, trust us. So, go for it.

The profile template is in the form of a survey. Answer each question as if your character is 100% honestly answering them, and keep the answers on the short side. (No huge paragraphs!) Also, to make these profiles pretty and easy to read, you will have to pick one color (no bright or unreadable colors) that represents your character. Find and replace "PICKCOLOR" with whatever color you choose by using Microsoft Word or this program. Feel free to ask for help if any problems arise.

Also, do not upload any picture whatsoever for your character's appearance. Appearances get funky in an anime world, so we're going to solely rely on descriptions.

Spoiler! :
Available Starters

Kanto: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle
Johto: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile
Hoenn: Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip
Sinnoh: Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup
Unova: Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott
Kalos: Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie

Code: Select all
[color=gray][size=75]Hello there, future trainer. It's nice to meet you.
Congratulations on your acceptance to CAMP. We are sure you will be very successful.
In return for this free extraordinary program, we ask you to complete a survey.
You will be asked a series of questions through this survey, some about your personal life,
some about your Pokémon, some you'll need to answer together. All my questions will test
the connection you share, and will estimate the potential bonding between you and the
Pokémon you'll meet in the region. Please answer these questions as honestly as you can.
We assure you that all answers will be kept confidential.[/size][/color]

[b][ [color=PICKCOLOR]FULL NAME[/color] ][/b]

Hello! I am a new Pokémon Trainer by the name of [color=PICKCOLOR][b]NICKNAME/FIRST NAME[/b][/color]. I am a [color=PICKCOLOR][b]MALE/FEMALE[/b][/color].
I came here from [color=PICKCOLOR][b]TOWN, REGION[/b][/color].
I am [color=PICKCOLOR][b]AGE[/b][/color] years old! My birthday is on [color=PICKCOLOR][b]MONTH DATE[/b][/color].
I am about [color=PICKCOLOR][b]HEIGHT in both feet/in and cm[/b][/color], and [color=PICKCOLOR][b]WEIGHT in both lbs and kg[/b][/color].
My starter Pokemon is [color=PICKCOLOR][b]SPECIES[/b][/color], and [color=PICKCOLOR][b]HER/HIS[/b][/color] name is [color=PICKCOLOR][b]NICKNAME[/b][/color]!

█████ [i][b][size=130]the basics[/size][/b][/i]

⇜What do you think about CAMP? You've looked at the brochure, right?
[b][color=PICKCOLOR]answer[/color][/b]

⇜What circumstance prevented you from becoming a trainer at age ten?

⇜Do you and your first Pokemon get along?

⇜Tell me about your family. Don't leave out a detail at all.

⇜Are there any household Pokemon? A family pet?

⇜What would you say you look like? Do you have any distinguishing features?

⇜Describe your style of clothing.

█████ [i][b][size=130]a little deeper[/size][/b][/i]

⇜Describe your personality.

⇜Describe your starter's personality.

⇜Do you have any talents? Any hobbies?

⇜What is your favorite dish?

⇜What do you like?

⇜What do you dislike?

⇜Do you like gifts?

⇜Do you think love is important for Pokemon?

⇜What about to yourself? Is love important?

⇜Where do you see yourself in ten years?

⇜Do you have any fears and/or phobias?

⇜Any health issues that could potentially be dangerous if left unchecked?

█████ [i][b][size=130]pokemon[/size][/b][/i]

⇜How do you view Pokemon?

⇜How many Pokemon do you know?

⇜How do you feel about the abandonment of Pokemon?

⇜No two Pokemon are the same. What is unique about your starter?

⇜What do you look for in Pokemon?

⇜Seeing a legendary Pokemon is a sign of luck—and to be chosen. We know you are one of the few who has seen one of the legends spoken in fairy tales. What legendary Pokemon have you seen? Tell the story.

⇜Any last minute things?

[right][i]That's the survey. Please, make sure you did everything correctly.[/i][/right]

In the event that your character must battle another character or pokemon, here are some things to consider:

Spoiler! :
- Levels are irrelevant. We're going to lean more towards the show's standards, so yes, a level 4 Pikachu can defeat a level 100000 Snorlax.
- The pokemon only know the moves in their current evolutionary state, meaning there will not be any egg moves, TMs, and other event-related moved.
- If a battle exceeds more than 6 posts, Omni and/or I will decide who wins. It is important to note that we will decide on quality rather than quantity.

Now to the fun part: catching pokemon.

Spoiler! :
Each character is given six Pokeballs. The only way you can obtain more is by trading with the other campers.

Pokemon sometimes come to the trainer willingly, while others do not. Basing the catch system by this random principle, I created a 1-6 combination:

1 = easily caught without a fight, or very minimum fighting
2 = caught with some fighting
3 = caught with a lot of fighting and convincing
4= failed catch
5= failed catch
6= failed catch

There are a whopping randomized 46,656 combinations to choose from, ranging from 1-1-1-1-1-1, to 6-6-6-6-6-6. Once we start the SB, I would like you to choose a number from 1 through 46656. I will then give you your permanent combination that will be used throughout the story.

Like the games, each area has a different batch of pokemon. The campers are currently in CAMP, with the following catchables:

Beach
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Slowpoke, Krabby, Buizel, Psyduck, Marill, Wooper, Wingull, Shellos, Sandile, Dwebble, Tirtouga, Parasect, Lotad

Water
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tentacool, Frillish(f), Frillish(m), Skrelp, Shellder, Staryu, Chinchou, Corsola, Remoraid, Relicanth, Seel, Horsea, Magikarp, Qwilfish, Wailmer

Woods
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Caterpie, Pidgey, Ledyba, Jigglypuff, Murkrow, Seedot, Drifloon, Mankey, Aipom, Slakoth, Mawile, Stunky, Rufflet, Vulpix, Bellsprout, Cubone, Hoothoot, Stantler, Sewaddle, Starly, Pachirisu

Grasslands/Plains
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ponyta, Zigzagoon, Purrloin, Bunnelby, Ekans, Doduo, Lickitung, Rhydon, Mareep, Gulpin, Shinx, Nidoran(f), Nidoran(m), Eevee, Pichu, Wobbuffet, Tropius, Budew

Rocky Areas
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sandshrew, Zubat, Machop, Geodude, Gligar, Phanpy, Magby, Timburr, Diglett, Growlithe, Hoppip, Swinub, Numel, Snorunt

Swamp
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Phantump, Grimer, Koffing, Spinarak, Misdreavus, Seviper, Shuppet, Duskull, Gastly, Drowzee, Yanma, Chimecho, Combee, Ralts
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

147 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:15 am
View Likes
Carina says...

"Bye, ma! Bye, pa! Bye, stupid!" Mari chirped out as she rolled her giant suitcase out the door. Finally, she was going to leave the house that bored her to death. No more of ma pestering her to stop fighting with her brother. No more of pa pestering her to pull up all the weeds. And most of all, no more of her brother being a total—

"Marisol, wait!" her mom yelled in exasperation before the door closed behind her. In annoyance, Mari turned around to see her mom fanning herself from what looked like a heart attack, stroke, and any other thing that probably caused death. "Oh Dios mío, you almost left your brother behind! How else do you think you're going to find your way to that city?"

Now this is the part where everything went to shit.

Well, okay, it didn't go to shit right away. Mari and her brother Marcel left Solaceon Town a week early with only an old map to go by, and for the first few days, Marcel's company wasn't too bad. True, he was being overly snarky and especially rude—

"Marcel, aren't we supposed to be going through Hearthome City?"
"Yeah."
"Well, then, mister-know-it-all, why are we in the middle of fuckin' nowhere?"
He pointed at the map that was already yellowing from its ancient age. "Think of it in a vector perspective rather than a scalar one. Instead of passing through all these cities, we're going to take one straight beeline to Canalave City, you dumbfuck."

—ESPECIALLY rude! (Even though he didn't say that last part, but Mari could definitely imagine him saying that.)

On the third day in, they climbed a mountain. A mountain, what the hell she didn't sign up for this shit.

"Mari, slow down!" her brother yelled below.
"Hurry up, grandpa," she said as she kicked rocks below that landed on his face. "Our ancestors can climb faster than you."

Seriously, she did not sign up for a Slowpoke climbing expedition.
And after they climbed the mountain, they had to go over this damn bike path that was in the way. Marcel said it was totally fine—

"They're just bikes. Hurry up and jump the fence already." Annnnnd right after he said that, a bike rammed into him. HAHA. WHAT A COMPLETE LOSER.

The past three days were totally fine albeit highly annoying, but on the fourth day, things took a sharp turn. It all started with her Chimchar named Changa monkeying around with Marcel's Piplup, giving him annoying flares to which the poor penguin pokemon would flick away in annoyance. After one too many flares, the damn penguin pokemon lost his shit and BAM HYDROPUMP TO THE FACE. At first Changa doubled over after being flown across the field, but then a fire lit his eyes—literally, a fire—and he puffed in his little chest to breathe out the deadliest Flamethrower known to man...

...only to spit out a teeny weeny Ember instead since that water attack extinguised most of the power inside of him. Poor Changa fainted in defeat, but not before the embers clumsily flew over to its target: Marcel.

"Oh no, Changa!" Mari exclaimed, rushing over to her poor starter pokemon whom she usually despised, but hey, who can say, "You little dumb monkey brat!" to that cute fainted face?!

"Mari, what the fu—" HYDRO PUMP TO THE FACE, round two. Piplup was really enjoying his day.

Her asshat older brother wore a burnt shirt that now smelled like barbecue, and he was dripping wet. For one quick moment, she let his petrified face and awkward stature sink deep into her mind, and then she burst out laughing like an uncontrollable Mightyena. His Piplup! That Hydro Pump! His shirt with holes! This was too much to handle, and even Changa started to cackle through his swirly eyes.

Unfortunately, Marcel did not join the giggle fest.

"Son of Arceus," he said through gritted teeth, pushing the hair ou of his face. "Can you control your goddamn pokemon?! I came out to help you find your way, what the hell!"

"I think you should be asking yourself that, bro," Mari said after a long moment of laughter, pointing at his Piplup. "You only have yourself to blame for this."

"You know what? Fine. You're on your own.
"Wait, wait!" She scrambled onto her feet like lightning. "I was only joking!" That was a lie, but he didn't need to know that.

"I don't care!" he barked back, gathering his things and wringing his burnt shirt out. "Mom did not tell me to escort a baby and carry all the bags. Maybe I traveled this far out to get some downtime from you, huh? You're annoying as hell!"
As if this was something the two siblings used to say everyday, Mari went on without a single hesitation or look of surprise. "At least I'm not an asshole like you are."
And maybe this was something the two siblings used to say everyday. "At least I'm not a bitch," he replied without holding back.

Challenge accepted.

"Jerk," Mari said.
"Moron," Marcel said back.
"Dumbass."
"Bastard."
"Dick!"
"Shithead!"
"Fuckface!"
"Mierda!"
"Gilipollas!"
"Puta!"
"Cojones!"
"Que te jodaVOY A MATARTE!"

And with that, Mari lunged towards her brother, knocking him down and effectively shutting him up...at least, that was what would've happened in an ideal world. Unfortunately, Marcel was an alien beast who can predict her moves, and so he bolted towards another direction, leaving Mari to lunge towards a tree.

And that. hurt... A LOT.

Some time passed. Actually, a lot of time passed. Mari's eyelids felt heavy, almost like she had just awoken from a deep slumber. She half-expected to wake up in her comfy bed, then realized that the setting rays of the sun were hitting her, and she was lying in front of a tree with a rather strange indent. And why did she have a horrible headache?!

And then—she remembered.

Marcel! she hissed in her mind, bolting up and looking around. He and his Piplup were nowhere to be found, but he did leave a note right next to her. Angrily snatching it, she mentally read it in the most mocking voice ever to be heard:

I ran after you threatened to kill me, but when I looked back, you passed out in front of the tree since you rammed into it like a dumbass. I felt a little bad since you could have a concussion, so here's the map and half of the cash mom gave us. I circled where we are right now since I am a nice sibling. Good luck on your adventure, and if I don't see you next year, I'm going to assume you're dead. Adios, Marcel.

Any normal day, and Mari would have yelled for her mom, or find her brother to kill him. But this was different. For once, they weren't in Solaceon Town, and she's lost in—what? What did he circle? The forest between Floaroma, Jubilife, and Oreburgh? Canalave was practically right there! This was too easy.

"Changa!" Mari called, and her monkey pokemon peeked out between several tree branches. "C'mon, we're leaving."

Finally, a true adventure. Mari and Changa walked into the sunset with determination and confidence sparkling in their eyes, trumpets ablazing, and motivational music playing in the background. Without her brother, Mari will do something amazing. She will find her way on her own with only her starter accompanying her, and it is as if she had started her journey as a trainer already...

"C'mon, Changa. It's just a cave. We can sleep here for tonight. Why are you so scared? Move your butt, you damn ape!"

So maybe she wasn't cut out to be a great trainer already, but that's what CAMP is for, right? To teach her that may Zubats, Geodudes, and other pokemon actually live in caves?

"AHHHHHHHH!" Mari screamed an hour later, running out of the cave in extreme speed as a hoard of Zubats angrily chased after her. "Changa, why do have to have a fire tail and wake up all the sleeping pokemon?!" she yelled, somehow finding the time to scold the oh-so-troublesome monkey.

After escaping the cave and the Zubat hoard, Mari kept inching forward, grumbling about how she lost all of her bags. She lost everything, and if Marcel were here right now, she'd bitch to his face. Unfortunately, she was way too damn tired to do anything, so when she came across a field with soft patches of grass, she instantly lied down and told Chimchar to do the same.

It will be a perfect, bother-free night, and tomorrow they will reach Canalave City. Yeah, that's good, that's great. A perfect night.

But of course, nothing ever really went her way, did it? The moment the both of them laid down and started snoring, an Ariados crept up from its invisible web high above, staring at its two victims below. "Mmm, dinner will be good tonight," it thought, already drooling. "It's sleeping already...easy prey! I've never had such a delicacy... I wonder how it will taste?"

And with that, the spider pokemon inched downward with a web, eyeing its delicious dinner. It came closer, closer, and closer, just thinking, "I've always wanted to eat a fire pokemon!" And it opened its mouth to cover its prey with silk, and then it— "A SPIDER!" Mari shrieked, getting up.

Ariados sighed and rolled its eyes at the stupid human who couldn't even say its name. "Ariados," it said blandly, introducing himself. "Ari—" WA-BAM, SUPER MARI KICK. Before the scary eight-legged pokemon could say any more obscenities, Mari round-housed-kicked that sucker into the sky so she will never see its ugly face again.

"That thing almost ate me," she grumbled to Changa, who was still asleep, undisturbed. "Good thing it wouldn't want to eat a fire type," she continued to grumble, lying down to sleep again.

The next morning, Mari couldn't believe that she encountered Zubats and—what did it call itself? Ariados? Or creepy-eight-legged-spider? Nonetheless, she was getting excellent experience to become an A+ trainer already. And look, they were making progress! Looking past all the flat fields, she could practically see...more flat fields. Progress!

Hours have passed, and Mari continued to march down the fields with Changa by her side. They had shortly rested next to several berry bushes to devour every sprig fill their stomach, and once they took one step forward, the most peculiar thing happened: it started raining.

"Great, just what I needed," Mari said out loud, sighing inwardly as Changa ran for cover. Not wanting to deal with this, she took another step back to eat more of those damn berries, when suddenly an even more peculiar thing happened: it stopped raining.

"...what in dah..." One step forward, rain. One step back, sunshine. The hell was this? Was this how real life works?! On second thought, maybe that was why the area north of Solaceon Town always seemed to be raining...

Needless to say, Mari took several more steps back to bask in the sunshine, then walked perpendicular to where she was heading. Was she going to walk in the rain? Hell nah. She was going to walk around the rain, because logic.

It surprisingly worked, too. The hours flew by, and she was getting closer and closer to Canalave City. Before she knew it, she started to smell the ocean, and excitement boiled in her. Running now, she envisioned a shower, new clothes, and a nice bed to sleep on for the few days before the ship arrives. Oh yes, it will be amazing. And to think of the FOOD! She could practically—

"Hi, I like shorts."
what the—
"They're comfy and easy to wear!"

Dadadadadada dom, dom, dom...da da!

What. The. Fu—

"Go, Bidoof!"

"Wait, what?!" Mari barked.

Some stupid little twerp came out of nowhere and started to, um...well, he must be battling her. She couldn't tell since he never exactly said "Let's battle!" anywhere in that horrendous pickup line. But what! She never agreed to this! And why couldn't she run away?!

"Listen, kid," she began, annoyance bubbling into the surface as Changa looked at Mari, then at the Bidoof, as if he didn't know that this was a pokemon versus pokemon battle. "I don't know you, and I never agreed to this, so can I please—"

"Bidoof, use Headbutt!"

Oh hell no.

The little turd monger obediently followed its trainer's orders, but before it could lunge towards her poor Changa, Mari lunged towards it herself and grabbed the creature before it could do any damage. "You listen to me, you piece of—" she looked back at the horrified little trainer, "...poop." That ought to scare him. "When I don't want to battle, I don't want to battle! Okay?!"

"Bi, DOOF!"

THE FUCKER BIT HER FINGER.

After yelling a string of vulgarities and nearly suffocating the pokemon, she angrily threw the stupid pokemon up into the sky, leaving a star twinkling up above.

"Stupid ass Bidoof, stupid ass twerp," she mumbled to herself, stomping away as she heard the kid cry and run away.

Arceus. Now that that was over, she could focus on getting to Canalave City, her shower, her food, and most importantly, her—

"Are you a sailor? You look weak, battle me!"
"FUCK OFF!"

~~~

Several hours passed, and Mari looked behind her. After many hours of yelling and telling people to, "Get out of my face, shithead!" she had almost lost her voice. But finally, finally, she had reached Canalave City. She stood under its entrance, taking in the sun rays and all the glory while Changa groaned that it was another city that smelled like fish.

She had arrived in the city three days early, and on her first day there, she booked a hotel, ate like a queen, took a shower, then slept. On the second day, she shopped. Like, that was it. She shopped for everything she lost (and extra), and she almost blew all her money. The boat was expected to arrive mid-afternoon on the third day, and so she spent almost the whole morning touring the city. It was cool at first since it was different than old Solaceon Town, but after a while, it got kind of lame since the whole town was full of weird hungry sailors.

So here she was, dressed in jean shorts, a red t-shirt, sneakers, and a baseball cap, waiting on the docks with all of her newly-bought bags. The captain of the small ship tried to make small talk, but the only thing Mari heard from him was that another person named Jayce was going to join them before they take off to Unova where the plane for CAMP is waiting.

This Jayce needs to hurry up already. Canalave City was starting to make her hate the smell of Magikarp.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:58 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Looking through the pamphlet a couple more times, I could barely move, I was so excited. Finally, no more school, no more obligations, none of that! C.A.M.P. (whatever that stood for, I may have skimmed over that area. Don’t look at me, they’re secretive) would get rid of all of that, and they actually accepted my application! Jayce, that weird kid with only a Turtwig that couldn’t even fight the gyms or have ice pokemon because of his mom /WOW HE DOESN’T EVEN BATTLE WITH HIS POKEMON, WHO DOES THAT?/ actually got picked for something. And in the Inota region, no less.

Barely keeping my eyes off of the invitation letter, I rampaged through my dresser, finding only the cleanest clothes I could get (although I do have to mention here that they weren’t completely clean. I can’t give you the impression that I actually care about my life, now can I?) My mind was focused on the Inota region while my body was on auto-pilot. For years, the only things I’d heard about the Inota region was rumors and hushed whispers. Talks about the “innovation” and “technological marvels” the region was doing. Most people in Sinnoh live far enough away from any of the other regions to consider themselves the best at what they do (whatever it is this place does, I swear, they can’t make up their minds). Sinnoh’s supposed to be the pinnacle of technology and greatness and coldness. But, I’m going to the actual pinnacle of technology. I smiled wryly. Inota was supposed to have it all.

“Jayce?” My mother screamed from downstairs. “Jayce, get down here, now!”

“I’m coming, let me stand!” I shouted back with the obligatory eye roll. (Now, let me interject here, I knew that I was being a “stereotypical teenager with all their eyeroolz and huffing and stuff, but she deserves it sometimes through the hell she’s put me through.)

Taking my sweet little time stomping down the not soft enough stairs, I met the one person in the world who I could legitimately love and hate at the same time face to face in the living room (which is actually where she lives. Like, eats, sleeps, everything. Ever since dad started traveling, she can’t stand to be in his room anymore.) She stared at me for a few moments. “Did you get a letter from school?”

I sighed inwardly. She saw the letter. I so need to work on my hiding skills. “It wasn’t a letter from school, mom. I still haven’t been accepted into Skarvard.”

“Then what was in that letter, and why were you trying to hide it from me? Austin told me that you were stomping around your room like crazy after you got upstairs.”

I bit my tongue, trying to figure out the best way to explain CAMP to her. See, she really doesn’t know about the whole application and everything. Dad was the one who decided to help me get this. “It… was a letter from dad.” She frowned, and I met that evil glare with a stone-hardened, mother-tested-and-disapproved, teenager look.

“If it was something from dad, he would have addressed it to the bank first. All of his letters are with money first.” She sighed. “Why do you have to lie to me, Jayce? What’s in that letter? You know I don’t have enough strength to walk up those stairs and look at it for myself. Just tell me, and I’ll get off your back.”

“Well, it was something from dad. It’s a program he tried to get me into, and that was the acception letter. I’m packing my things now and going to Canalave City. I have three days to do so, that’s what it said in the packet.”

She choked on thin air, apparently. “Three days to get to the bottom of the region? Do you have a car, did you have a ride? What are you planning on doing? Have you cleaned your clothes?”

“Mom, yes,- I, yes, I have. Dad has arranged a way for me to get to Canalave City.”

She pursed her lips. (Oh yay, here comes mother-mode) “When were you going to tell me about all of this? It seems like you and your father have had this planned for a while, and behind my back the entire time? I thought I taught you better than that-“

I won’t bore you with the details (partially because I don’t remember them much either, I kind of started drowning her out after I told her I was going to the Inota region. Oh boy, she was pissed. So, let’s just say that for the next thirty minutes, I was a perfect, responsible young adult and packed my bags and totally didn’t have to sneak out of the house to get on my way.

Zipping up my suitcase and strapping it to my back, I poked Pebbles. He chirped tiredly. “Hey, get in.” Grunting, he laid back down and ignored me. I grinned, and opened my room window. “Okay, I’ll just leave you here. You’ll be all along as I find new pokemon friends and have tons of fun in the Inota region!” He perked up, growled a cute, little “Twig,” and launched himself at my back, knocking me onto my balcony and almost off the roof. I pushed him up my back (he was having a particularly hard time, have you ever seen a Turtwig try climbing? It’s not a pretty sight, although maybe a little funny.) After a bit of shoving and grunting, he shuffled his way into my hood and snuggled in, covering himself with the loose red fabric. Luckily, that clumsy pokemon isn’t large enough to cause too much strain on my back. If Pebbles evolved, though? I shuddered at the thought as we climbed down a large willow tree to the front lawn. Grotle is not a small pokemon, to put it nicely.

Walking away from my house, I recited the plan in my head. Okay, I leave my house at midnight after having packed enough essentials to last me until CAMP, I trek through the woods to get to the not-so-secret port to the east of the town, take a cargo boat to Canalave, and meet up with the other contestant there to go to the Inota region. I actually smiled at the thought of those last words. “To go to the Inota region.” I whispered aloud. Never in a million years would I have thought that the elusive southern region would actually be a place a visited, not to mention that I’m going to a place specifically made for people like me. People who never really got to create bonds with pokemon, let alone train them or battle them (or go to contests, BUT WHO DOES THAT, LIKE SERIOUSLY?)

No annoying little brothers to stop my journey. No nagging mother to pester me the entire way. No father to get in my way. Especially no equally annoying Piplup to go pumping water on everything and everyone it pleases. I think it’s universally agreed that Piplup is the most obnoxious pokemon before it evolves.

Snowpoint City was calm under the clear night sky, with the only part still active being the gym leader and his employees making their last preparations for the next day. It must be a strain, being a gym leader. You and your pokemon fight all day, with little rest, and even when the day is done, there’s still tomorrow to think about. Working most of the day away. It’s definitely of labor of love for them. That could be you one day, Jayce. Being a gym leader in Sinnoh, or even Inota, and pursuing your love of pokemon to the point of being your love, your career. Of course, I would have to learn how to train pokemon, have them use their skills, and you know, learn to battle. BUT I’M GETTING THERE, OKAY?

Pebbles quickly dozed off in the comfort of my hood. As I left Snowpoint for the forest, my thoughts were on him. He was never supposed to be in this climate. In fact, Turtwigs are rare in Sinnoh, just generally speaking, but to be in the deadly cold of this city? That’s just begging to be killed. And he very nearly was before I found him on my window sill, a little over four years ago. Someone left him there, to be found by me and to be taken into my care. Someone had planned for me to be walking with Pebbles through this forest, because there is no way in hell that a grass pokemon would find himself just randomly 20 feet about the frozen wasteland that is Snowpoint City.

The docks were stuffed snugly between the dry woods and the frozen cliffs leading to the shore. Not very many people know about this place, and less have been here. It’s only a cargo route for Snowpoint City, although some people have said that the Pokemon League use it sometimes to get to the mainland with little attention drawn to them.

Time for sneaky mode. I rearranged Pebbles to sit in a small pocket of loose clothing at my ribcage and donned my hood. You see, Dad only got my trip to be somewhat of an easy ride. Only a few people know about me riding with them on their way to Canalave City to get their last shipment of frozen Magi-meat. The security definitely didn’t know anything about me (and hopefully I could keep it that way.)

Inching along the fence line, I kept an eye out for Pebbles not slipping and the other eye out for any guards. Weirdly, the fence only stretched to the beginning of the docks, with was extremely useful for me but not practical at all for keeping people ou-

“Electivire-e-e-e-e.” Oh shi-

“You are an idiot” are some really encouraging words to wake up to. Even better is the “your dad told me you would be that stupid, but I thought he was joking.” Ah, good times, good times.

I groaned and tried to lift my head. Everything hurt, but not like the sharp, shooting pain that comes from, well, basically everything. It was a dull ache, like I had run a marathon three times and then catapulted over the Snowpoint gym for a breather.

A laugh sounded from me. No, not me, the other person next to me. Oh yeah, the belittling voice in my ears. Weird, I didn’t think my conscious had that accent.

“I’m not your conscious, but I may as well be.” Oh, I said that aloud. Whoops. Apparently my eyes were refusing to give me the time of day and open so I could see this person.

Another laugh. “Just rest. That Electivire gave you quite a shock when it found you trampling to the docks. I’m your CAMP representative. Your father told me you were… a special case, and asked that I would assist you to Canalave City. I must admit, I thought I would be having to carry you from your house. The fact that you made it this far is surprising. And idiotic.”

I groaned and stopped trying to sit up. If my eyes didn’t want to work with me, my body will no doubt be the same.

I awoke to the sound of a freaking freight train going through my room. Oh, wait, that's just the sound of my heart beating in my ears. I raised my eyebrows, tentatively testing to see if the lids would actually open. Success! Finally my body might work with me.

"Hey, get up, our boat's ready. And unless you wanna go back to Snowpoint City with the wonderful smelling Magikarp meat."

I groaned and looked up to see a slender woman in a very dark, official looking outfit and some crazy red hair. She raised her eyebrows at my expression. "You act like you've never seen a woman before."

"What. Is. That. Hair. Color?" I managed through my dry throat.

"Oh, like you can say anything. I see that blue hair. Get halfway decent, we'll meet on the docks in five minutes. Marisol should already be there."

"Marisol? Oh this should be fun."
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:24 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Amara rushed about her room, shoving clothing into her bag and nearly stepping on her pokemon. She hesitated a moment, about to zip it up before glancing down at Fenni. He gestured wildly at her and Amara frowned. She ticked things off her mental list; clothes, spare shoes, extra supplies, food for Fenni. Amara swore and turned back to the room, gaze darting over the mess she'd made while trying to find everything.

"Fenni...Fennekin!" He was staring up at her from the middle of the room. She smiled at him and then frowned deeper at her room. She'd made such a mess.

"Sketch pad," she muttered, and began digging through the pile of clothes on her bed. A pair of heels went flying across the room, followed closely by several shirts and a dress. Something must've landed on Fenni's head, cause he protested loudly. "Where is it? Where IS IT?"

A knock on the door had her straightening up. She hadn't even heard anyone approaching, let alone coming up the stairs. Fenni sneezed. "Amara, hurry up," her mother called through the door. "You're going to be late!"

"I know, mum!" she called back, abandoning the pile of clothes on the bed. There was a sigh and then footsteps retreating. Fenni tried to shake the shirt off his head, grumbling to himself. Amara took pity on him and grabbed the shirt, flinging it back towards the bed. She planted her hands on her hips and gave Fennekin a thoughtful look. "Have you seen my sketch pad?"

He perked up. "Fennekin!" he exclaimed and darted under the bed. Amara blinked and bent to peer under it, watching her pokemon's tail swing back and forth. "Fenni!" She straightened up when he backed up, grunting with the effort of dragging something heavy. "Fen-Fennekin!"

"There it is!" she exclaimed, and plucked Fenni up off the ground. He squirmed and Amara kissed his check. "Thank you, Fenni!" She put him down again and he shook himself off, making little complaining noises. Amara swept the sketch book up off the floor and shoved it into her bag, along with a pencil case. "There, I'm packed!"

"Amara! You're going to miss the bus!"

"Oh, shit!" Amara exclaimed, zipping the bag up. "Fenni, am I missing anything?"

"FENNEKIN!"

"OH, right! Your pokeball!" She snagged it up off her desk and shoved it into a pocket before grabbing her bag and racing out the door. Fennekin trotted after her. Amara waved to her mum as she passed her by, nearly triping over her mother's pokemon.

It protested, loudly; "PURRLOIN!"

"SORRY! HI-MUM-BYE-MUM!" Amara called, jerking open the front door with Fenni right on her heels.

"Bye, honey!" her mum called back, and then she was disappearing around a corner into the kitchen. Amara let the door fall shut as she raced down the front path and onto the street. She could see the bus at the end of the street and waved wildly.

"WAIT FOR MEEEE!"

She barely made it to the bus. Luckily, the driver had waited for her. Panting, she held onto the doorframe while she caught her breath and stared down at her shoes. The bus's engine rumbled faintly over the pounding of her pulse in her ears.

"Thank....you....!" she gasped, bent over. The driver chuckled. "Come....on, Fenni!"

"Fennekin," he said, and promptly sat down beside her.

"Sorry, miss, but your pokemon will have to return to its pokeball," the driver told her. Amara blinked and peered down at Fennekin. She looked back up and found the guy pointing to a sign on the door. It read; 'please keep pokemon in their 'balls, thank you!'. Amara sighed. "Company rules."

"Oh, okay." She turned to Fenni and dug his pokeball out of her pocket. "Sorry, buddy, but you've gotta get back in." He gave her a mournful look and Amara sighed. "Please?"

"Fenne...kin," he said mournfully and Amara held out the 'ball. He hung his head and faded into a red flash as he returned to the pokeball. She turned to mount the steps up into the bus.

"Welcome aboard!" the driver called, and then he announced the next few stops.

She wasn't really listening as she scanned her card and found a set near the back. Amara leaned back in her seat and stared out the window, hugging her bag to her chest. She rubbed her thumb in circles over Fenni's pokeball, humming thoughtfully. Trees and building flashed by, but she wasn't really seeing them. She was on her way to C.A.M.P. in Inota. She just had to make it to the boat. Where was that again?

An hour later;

The bus jerked, almost throwing Amara out of her seat. She blinked, looking towards the driver. He waved a hand and called out; "Here's the stop, miss!"

Amara looked out the window frowned. This couldn't be right.... She was supposed to stop in---wait, which place was it again? Amara dug out her map and scowled. What was it? Coumarine City? Something like that. She stood up, shoving her map back into her bag.

"But this is Geosenge Town!" she called back, making her way down to the driver. He turned towards her as she reached the front of the bus and gestured out the window.

"Can't go any further, miss," he said, shaking his head. "Sorry, the stones kinda block the way, and I gotta get back to home base."

Amara sighed and pulled out Fenni's pokeball, glancing out the front window of the bus. "I take it this is as far as your going?" she asked, fingering the button that would release Fenni. The driver muttered something that sounded like a yes, but she wasn't really listening. "Does that mean I have to walk the rest of the way?"

"Yes, miss," he said, dragging her gaze over to him. He was a portly guy with glasses and a stain on his shirt. Amara raised an eyebrow at him. This wasn't the driver who'd picked her up. Had they switched at some point? "Applogies. Bus only runs to Geosenge Town."

"Oh, okay then," she muttered and tugged the strap of her bag back up onto her shoulder. "I'll get off here."

The driver nodded and Amara stepped off the bus, turning back to wave at the driver. The bus drove off, leaving her standing there with her mouth open. He hadn't even looked at her. She really didn't like that bus driver. He was a jerk, unlike the one who'd picked her up from Ambrette Town.

She let Fennekin out of his pokeball and planted her hands on her hips again. "Well, Fenni," she said, looking around the bus stop. "I think we're going to have to ask for directions!"

"Fennekin!"

Amara nodded, looking down at the little fox pokemon sitting beside her. "That's right," she said, smiling at him. Fenni peered up at her and blinked. "We're kinda stuck here. The bus didn't go all the way to the boat."

"Fenni?" he asked, tilting his head to the side. "Fennekin?"

"What?" she demanded, pouting at her pokemon. "It's not my fault! How was I supposed to know the bus would take us the wrong way?"

"Fennekin..."

Amara took a deep breath and turned to face Geosenge Town. "Let's go ask someone which way it is to the next town, okay?"

The first person she asked gave her the weirdest look, and so did the next three people. She finally had to ask someone at the Pokemart, and they happily oblidged---apparently, the next town was north-east. The directions were easy to follow; head east, follow the path North. Pretty simple, really.

Amara headed for the east path, and stopped short in the middle of town. There was a huge hole in the ground directly before her. She blinked. "What the hell?"

"Fenni...Fennekin!"

"I know, I know!" she hissed, turning to give the fox pokemon a little glare. "We're on a schedule!"

"FENNEKIN!" he cried loudly, obviously protesting. Amara blinked again, and then started laughing at the look he gave her. He blinked back, and then gave her a look that distinctly looked like a pout. "Fenni..."

Amara sighed. "Alright, alright," she muttered and swept Fenni up into her arms. "Let's just...edge around the giant hole in the ground and take that path, okay?"

"Fenni!" Fennekin protested again, squirming. Amara rubbed a spot behind his head and he calmed down. He almost seemed to be purring. With a smile, she turned away from the hole and began to pick her way around it slowly. "Fenni."

And now he sounded scared. Amara gave him another scratch behind the ear, trying to keep him calm. She peered over the edge and her eyes widened. It was a very long way down. "O-okay," she whispered, swallowing. "Let's...not...fall down there, alright?"

"Fennekin."

"I agree," she said, trying to keep away from the edge. Fenni squrimed in her arms again, and Amara fought to hold onto him. "Let's definitely not fall down there."

After one last glance at the huge hole, Amara turned away and found the path. She stared at it for a long time. Right up until Fennekin squirmed out of her arms and jumped down. Amara started, glancing towards her pokemon.

"Fenni!" he cried and raced off, towards the path.

"HEY!" Amara yelled, racing after him. "GET BACK HERE, YOU BRAT!"

She chased him down the path, trying to keep the speedy little fox pokemon in sight. He was faster than she was, though, and soon enough, Amara had fallen behind. She slowed to a stop and leaned over, hands braced on her knees. She panted for a moment, then straightened up. Fennekin was no where to be seen.

"Fenni?" she called, concerned. A quick once over of where she'd stopped showed her that she appeared to be lost. Where the hell was she? Amara swung her bag around and dug through it for the map she'd been given. Unfortunately, the map was absolutely not helpful. She heaved yet another sigh and shoved it back into her bag. "Fenni, where are you?"

From up ahead, she heard a faint noise. It sounded a lot like, "Fennekin!"

Amara took off running again, panting hard as she rounded a curve in the path. She slid to an abrupt stop at the sight that met her. Fenni was cowering beneath a tree, pressed right up against the trunk of it. There was a wild pokemon sitting on a branch above him. She was fairly certain it was a bird pokemon, but she couldn't be 100% sure.

"Fenni," she hissed, gaze darting up to the wild pokemon. It flapped its wings and settled more firmly onto the branch. "Fenni." Fenni's ears pricked up and he peered at her from beneath one paw. "It's alright. I'm here. Come on." She gestured for him to come to her. "Slowly."

He crept away from the tree, ears flicking about. Amara glanced up at the other pokemon. It was watching Fennekin, but it didn't appear to be moving--yet. Her gaze dropped back down to Fenni. He whimpered and edged further away from the tree. He was almost close enough for her to grab. Just a little further...

The bird pokemon ruffled its feathers, and Fenni froze. Amara's eyes darted back up to it. She watched it as it seemed to focus on Fenni, and then it launched itself off the branch. Right at Fennekin. Amara darted forward, scooping up Fenni and turning her back to the wild pokemon. Claws raked through her hair and she felt them catch on her bag, and then they were gone. Amara slowly straightened up and peered around at the path. The wild pokemon was gone. They were alone. She exhaled.

"It's okay, Fenni," she muttered, stroking a hand over his head. "It's gone."

"Fennekin..."

"That was stupid!" she said sternly, setting him down on the ground before her. Fenni peered up at her, ears lowered. His expression almost seemed to be a pout. Amara stood up and turned around once in a full circle. "What were you thinking, you silly little fox?" He blinked at her and she shook her head. "Nevermind." She considered the path stretching off in each direction. "Now, which way to go, hmm?"

She looked down at him, frowning deeply. Fennekin got up and trotted a few steps in one direction and then the other. Then his ears perked up and he turned towards the path that led past the tree he'd been cowering under. "Fennekin!"

"That way, huh?" Amara asked, peering down the path. It seemed unintentionally darker than the way they'd come. She crouhed beside Fenni and took a closer look at him. His ears went back and he blinked at her. "You sure?"

Fenni nodded firmly, ears perking up again. "Fenni!"

"Alrighty, then," she said and tugged the strap of her bag back up onto her shoulder again. She pointed towards the darker path and proclaimed loudly; "Let's get moving. Onwards!"

"Fennekin!" Fenni said and trotted off ahead of her.

Amara followed at a slower pace. It was only a few minutes later that she realised that taking this particular path was probably a very bad idea. She'd definitely caught the wrong bus. A cave opening lurched up out of the shadows before her. Amara stared up at it, shivering. That was...not good.

"I have to go through a cave?" she exclaimed, staring at it hard. Her voice rose as she continued, to the point of nearly shouting. "ON MY OWN?" She took a deep breath and dug out her map again. It told her she was at a cave called Reflection Cave. Amara heaved an exasperated sigh and peered at the yawning opening over her map. "Are they trying to kill me?"

"Fenne....Fennekin."

She looked down at him and saw the way his ears went back. "Uh...You don't happen to know Flash, do you?" she asked him and Fenni gave her the weirdest look. She'd heard her dad talking about the move, but she had no idea if she'd even need it yet. Amara was pretty sure that look meant that he was trying to tell her that she should know his moves. "Do we even need Flash?"

She turned to peer down at Fenni from beneath the map. He blinked at her, and that was answer enough for her. She rolled her eyes and began shoving the map back into her bag. Amara was getting really sick of pulling her map out every five minutes. She rubbed a hard over the back of her head thoughtfully, staring up at the cave's entrance.

"Okay. So you don't know, either... Shit."
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:22 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Beep! Be-

Quick as a Ninjask, Arie's arm shot out and slapped the alarm clock into silence; at that same time, Darth ran, growling from his bed, and launched himself at the screaming contraption, the first wisps of Leaf Tornado gathering around his body. However, he stopped himself short as a loud proclamation of "No!" startled him to a stop.

Quickly, Zylaph shot up from sleep, and before she could even yawn or question what the hell her sister was screaming about so early, a vicious cough caught her tongue and sent her spiraling into a fit. Immediately, Arieon's anger faded and she hopped out of bed and to her twin's side, followed closely by Skywal and Darth.

"Uhh.. sorry, sis..."

The white-haired girl only glared back. After a moment, she took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Arieon stayed waiting by her side with a glass of water for the entire fuss. It was easy to forget that Zylaph wasn't well, especially in early mornings when Arie's only emotions were tired and angry, and when she was reminded suddenly like that, it hurt all the more.

She was just handing her the glass when the older girl - By two useless minutes Okay, Arie, go away - knocked it from her hands and sent it spiraling to the ground where Darth and Skywal quickly scuttled out of the way of the wave.

"What are you yelling about so early in the goddamn morning," she rasped.

"C.A.M.P.," Arie protested, folding her arms across her chest.

"But you promised," Zylaph complained, her rasp turning sour. "You promised, Arieon!"

"I know, Zylaph, but this is an ungodly hour to be awake I can't to this!!!"

"GO GET READY, LAZY ASS!"

Double Slap!

Double Slap!

The girls simultaneously dodged the Gothita's attacks. A loud string of swears - which pretty much translated into "Shut the hell up it's five am, you asshats" - came booming down from upstairs, sending both of the girls' Pokemon scuttling for cover. Arieon thought to yell back but the another re-appearance of one of Zyla's coughing fits shut her retaliation promptly up. She returned to her sister's side.

"FIne," Arieon said, quieter now. "I'll go."

"Knew you would. And thank you, now please continue in silence so that I can sleep."

"Whatever. I'll wake you before I leave."

"Night, sweetie."

-~-

"You got enough paper, ink," Zylaph asked for the tenth time as both girls stood in the front doorway. Arieon once again confirmed. Darth groaned and rolled his eyes. "And you're sure you don't want to borrow that dress? It looks better on you than it does on me."

"I'm sure. You have a big day coming up, and I want you to look nice for the both of us."

Zylaph smiled and didn't bother to wipe the tears away from her eyes.

"You write in that Diary every day, Arieon. I want to know everything. Promise me."

"I've already promised you like a hundred fuc-"

"Promise me again!"

"Fine! I promise!"

Zylaph gathered Arieon into another hug, and before pulling away planting a kiss atop Arie's mane of hair. One last look in her sister's eyes and Zyla turned on her heel and slammed the door behind her, nearly smushing Skywal and Darth who were still enclosed in a hug through the barrier. The girls didn't believe in saying goodbye - and neither did their parents, so much that they left for work without even seeing Arieon, though the basket of goodies waiting for her on the kitchen table said enough - and felt that the entire "going away" process should be done swiftly with definite finality, no looking back.

That said, she couldn't allow herself to cry. As soon as the door shut, she turned on her heel and set stalking off down the path. Darth followed close behind with a map outstretched in his hands, already grumbling in confusion. He also doubled as Arie's personal coach; tied around his waist was a harness connected to a cart pulling Arie's load of wardrobe and other essentials.

"Snivy," the Pokemon sighed.

"Castelia, then? Well let's hop to it mister, we do not have all morning. We'll miss our brunch."

A look of despair crossed Darth's face, followed closely by one of determination, a look Arieon wore as well. Together they jogged away.

~-~

Their hard work paid off and they had just enough time to grab a proper brunch before their third meal of the day. And, as was custom with their "First Meal in a New Place" celebrations, found the coziest, most expensive dine in, ordered as much of everything as they could and then promptly napped it off. It was very important to their chakra alignment and all other types of important medical shit like that.

In no time the two were cuddled together, asleep in their booth. Everything was going according to plan until Arie's pleasant dreams of digi-animated cloths and sentient sewing machines were interrupted with-

"Wake up, Arieon! You're late!"

"A magician is never late," she screamed back in reply before adopting a look of confusion and clearing her throat. "Sorry, thought we were somewhere else."

"Snivy," Darth groaned.

"Right... Anyway, who are you?"

"I'm your Camp Representative," the fire-haired lady replied. "Your parents told me that if you'd went missing I could find you here. Come on, it's time to go. Marisol and Jayce are here."

"Oh no, lady. I'm gonna need to see some ID. I don't walk off with strangers."

"Snivy sni," Darth agreed, eyes narrowing.

The lady simply smiled and chuckled to herself, but complied all the same. Once it was verified with Arie's approval, only then did she continue on. After a short walk, she was lead to where a sweet-looking girl and a blue-haired boy stood waiting. They both called greeting out to her and she threw a peace sign back at them.

"Arieon," The Camp Representative called," meet Marisol and Jayce. Guys, this is Arieon."

Darth cleared his throat loudly.

"I'm sorry, this is Arieon and Darth."

The two bowed respectfully.

"Super Jazzed to Meet You."
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:41 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

There were no words to describe the feeling that ran through Mark. There was elation, excitement, glorious bliss that made his heart pump the blood in his veins. All because the wind blew into his face and whipped his hair beyond repair. It blew east.

Just like every other day, the wind never failed to shift or change or shape-shift (because that would be amazing). So each morning before the sun rose, when Mark and his father trudged up to the lake, the wind blew east and permanently ruffled his hair to the right. This was the change.

Not only that, but the scenery! Ahead of him was a gorgeous lake that stretched off into the distance so that the other side was shadowed by the mist. Soft rays from the dawning sun bounced off the clear waters and onto the beach beside it, making the sand sparked and shimmer.

Just some little things among many more that signaled this change that C.A.M.P brought. It was official; there was simply nothing that could ruin his new, perfect freedom!

“Totodile!”

Unable to contain her excitement, the little Pokémon rushed towards her… er, “trainer” and charged towards the calm lake waters ahead. In her sudden burst of energy, she bowled him over and sprinted as fast as her little legs would allow, taking an enormous leap to dive in.

Skipper had that knack of ruining things.

He took too long recovering, muttering and getting up, so Mark only had enough time to see the receding tail of the demon as she sunk into the water. He scrambled to his feet and dusted off his dress of nice khakis and a polo shirt -- which he only wore because he had no other clothes that didn't reek of Magikarp.

The little shit bobbed up and down in the water, splashing around in delight at the expense of the boy on shore. He stomped down to the edge of the lake (but far enough to keep his dress shoes dry) and glared at the Pokémon. Knowing what came next, she dove underwater again before Mark began to yell.

“Son of a bitch," he muttered. "Skipper! We don’t have time for this!”

Those red slits for eyes rose out of the lake, merely staring at Mark as he called out to his Pokémon. Amusement shone in that mocking gaze of hers, before she quickly turned and swam out father into the lake.

Mark ran across the beach before him, kicking up all kinds of sand that stuck to the edges of his pants and suck into his dress shoes. “Oh my God, SKIPPER! GET BACK HERE, YOU PILL!”

That was essentially how the first ten minutes of Mark’s adventure went. Screaming at the top of his lungs to an uncooperative Totodile at six in the morning. In regard to his protests, she would swim back and forth out in the lake, perhaps spit a lazy water gun in his direction now and then just to mock him.

Yep, you could say their relationship was splendid.

After some time, the Totodile's vicious attitude became too grating. It was not worth the effort. And besides, it wasn't like he could just swim out there after her.

"Fine, you win, brat!" he called, collecting his scattered belongings across the beach. (An opened backpack here, a cheap flip-phone there, maybe a wallet tossed a couple inches in that direction.) "I'll just go to camp without you and you can stay here and stuff your muzzle with fish to your heart's content!"

Throwing the re-fastened pack over his shoulder, he turned and strode across the beach without looking back. Both Pokémon and Pokéball were left at that lake that made of the entrance of the route, with the ball half buried in the sand. At least the boy didn't step on and smash it as he left -- which he had planned to do.

The Totodile watched as the figure on the beach stormed down the water's edge and eventually hauled himself onto slightly higher ground. Before long, he completely vanished from sight, leaving the swimming Pokémon all on her own. She cocked her head to the side and tried to swim closer to shore and see if she could catch sight of him.

He would be waiting for her to break, just like he always did. Right? There was no way he would leave her. With a stubborn "humph", she crossed her littler arms and continued to bob in the water while waiting for him to reappear.

He never did.

Instead, Mark held to his promise of just leaving Skipper. Abandonment, anyone else would call it, but camp would supply him with another, he was sure of it. She was too much of a pain to deal with anyway.

Head held high and a new positivity flourishing in his thoughts, he half skipped through the green, narrow path that was between the two towering hills. At first, there was only a hint of a decline, quite gradual and comfortable as Mark marched along and admired the wild Pokémon in lushesh trees or grassy nests. Everything was new and exciting!

While Mark's father had traveled this path before, it was always directly across the lake and never down this increasing downward slope, which he had to now carefully traverse to not slip down the entire hill. Along the rough edges of stone, many colors layered within the hill, some light tan, others more orange with a tint of red. Some could have been argued to be almost green!

At the foot of the rising cliffs on either side of him, there were piles and clumps of rocks that matched the other in the same tone of brown.

It was all so fascinating, until he noticed the black cave entrance at the very, very, very bottom of the hill. And by then, it was too late to go back -- or climb back now. Had he gone a wrong way? His mother said there was a way to go through the route to Ecruteak City without much trouble... if he followed the lake's edge.

"Dammit," he muttered under his breath, taking off his bag and rummaging through it for a flashlight or map or both. Preferably both. "I don't know caves. Or the Pokémon inside. Or how to deal with Pokémon without one of my own."

"Howdy there!"

A scruffy old man appear from a path to Mark's left (which had to have manifested out of thin air because he could have sworn there was nothing but this steep incline here before). He was a big, hefty man, a mountain man by the look of it. There was a gigantic backpack on the man that looked like it weight as much as Mark, and the man's laugh was deep, like someone diligently smashing rocks.

What an interesting analogy, Mark... Uh, I should just stick to the fish puns.

Mark regarded the stranger with a puzzled look, to which the man replied, "Ya looked a bit lost, wand'ren 'round here by yer lonesome, rich boy. Needin' assistance?" His accent was so thick and clouded, Mark found himself nodding along to the man's offer before he realized what he was actually saying.

Which wasn't that bad, except for he skipped over the words "rich boy."

The man chuckled at the absent expression on Mark's face and said, "What're we waitin' for, then? Onward!"

As Mark tried to seal his bag and secure it to his back again, the man grabbed his arm and dragged him into the depths of the cave. (At one point he tripped on a stone and landed on his chest, but the man continued to pull and ended up quite literally dragging Mark. But that's a story for another time.)

Once inside, the mountain man tossed a Pokéball onto the ground and cried, "Gravler, come join me!" In a brilliant flash of red light that momentarily illuminated the pitch black cavern, a shape of a giant rock could be made out before the pair were plunged into darkness again.

"So, rich boy," he began. "This be my partner, Gravler and I'm Dale. Pleasure to meet ya. Now, Gravler here knows everything to know about caves and can chase away any horde o' Zubats or any other Pokémon to come our way!" ("Grav-ler!")

Mark tried to outline the figure once more, but to no avail it was too pitch black. "That's great. But, do you happen to have a flashlight or some source of light?" he muttered.

"But a'course!" Seconds later, another stream of line shone into the cave, but it stayed long enough for Marks's eyes to stop burning. Once that unpleasant sensation wore off, Mark was able to see the large entrance they stood in, with the cave ceiling hanging far over their heads and rock formations hanging down from it.

Once again, the beauty of nature.

"So what're you needin' through this here cave for?" The man gave me a concerned look, scanning me up and down several times.

"Oh, I'm trying to make it to Olivine City to catch a boat," Mark said without another thought about it.

"Really?" he asked. "How ya expecting to get to Olivine if ya can't get through this cave on yer own?"

"Well, I'm meeting an escort once I get to Ecruteak, which I have to be in several hours, so can we start moving now?" Had he said one more thing, the mountain man would have robbed Mark for everything he could scavange from the boy. Not like it would be that hard, considering this man could lift up boulders and Mark could hardly lift a boat on his own.

"Dile, Totodile!"

Mark practically jumped out of his skin at the sound of the little Pokémon's cry and the pitter patter of her feet on the stone. "How the hell did you find me!?"

When the mountain man shone the flashlight's beam at her, Skipper was illuminated in all her Totodile glory -- nose stuck up, tail perked up, along everything else that was standard for arrogant Skipper -- with the exception of a Pokéball in her little hand and a sparkle of joy in her eyes.

Her Pokéball in her little hand.

She dropped it on the floor right in front of the two of them and then charged forward once again. Mark's heart could leap out of his chest. Skipper, the obnoxious Totodile, had come after to find him! A miracle had occ--

The little Pokémon wrapped her arms around Dale's leg, completely skipping past Mark. Well, her shitty side had returned. The joy that had shone was directed towards a new person to win over to spite Mark. Great.

He sighed. "So, Dale, I'll strike you a deal. Trade me one of those Pokémon" he gestured to the Gravler standing on the side watching the show unfold "and you can have Skipper here."

If there wasn't enough evidence already that this kid was filthy rich (the "traveling" clothes, the boat ride and even escort?), his Totodile sealed the deal. Then, there was the opportunity right there to rob him blind, but he hesitated. He almost felt bad for the kid, thrown suddenly into this new world with such a strange partner.

So he settled to steal everything in his wallet instead.

"Well," Dale started. "This be quite the rare Pokémon, boy. You don't wanna just give her up. I mean, give her a chance."

"I've given her a chance the past four miserable years of my life, I'm done," Mark scoffed. "Besides, I'm sure I'll get a replacement wherever I'm going."

It was getting so much harder for him to be the good person and only take the money. "No, boy," he said, prying the Totodile off him and taking the Pokéball from her tiny claws. "Keep with her! She'll be a strong one, don't ya know it. I'll even put 'er ball in that sack o' yers for sake keepin'."

~ * In Olivine City... * ~

It was a tad humiliating to admit that he'd been mugged by a mountain man to his escort in Ecruteak City. Needless to say, it was like telling his father he dropped the fishing rod in because a Gyarados scared him. The trip to Olivine was not pretty.

Lucky for him, this guy was loaded. It was interesting walking through all the port shops before he had to get onto his own boat. He even managed to get three new sets of clothes and a hoodie! A hoodie.

Even Skipper was a tad less of a brat (aside from screeching every time Mark tried to pull her away from a unique shop with different Pokémon dolls.)

Yep, it was nice to finally be able to lounge around in the boat and close his eyes, imagining the seas tossing this ship around as they sat in the port. It was peaceful. Until Skipper decided she was entertained by jumping up and down on the bed, then hopping over to his and bouncing on Mark's face.

There went any hope of getting some shut-eye.

As she hopped, bounced and ran around, snickering as Mark became more and more irritated, there was a sudden knock at the door, even though it had been minutes since he boarded the boat.

"Sir, we've arrived at Slateport."
Last edited by SpiritedWolfe on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:46 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

"Don't leave your bags unattended."

"I know, Pa."

"And don't forget to frequently check your phone, because if you don't reply to my texts, I'm gonna make you come back."

"I won't forget, Pa."

"And don't step one foot into any wild grass until you get Lilah leveled up."

"Pa-"

"And don't forget the second credit card I gave you is for emergencies only."

"Pa, I KNOW-"

Before she could finish rolling her eyes and huffing, her father pulled her into a smothering hug. A height of 6'3", he towered above his daughter, and so her face was shoved into the center of his chest, nearly receiving a mouthful of cotton as she gaped in surprise.

Michael held her close for a minute or two, then reluctantly stepped back. Crow's feet crinkled more so from the expression he made as he gazed at her, all grown up and prepped to leave, emotions of happiness and sadness fighting inside of him. "Look at you," he spoke, his tone melancholy. "You look just like your mother with that hat on."

Laura's cheeks reddened ever so slightly. "I do?"

"Yes, you do. In fact-" Mid-sentenced, he dashed away from her, back into the house.

Laura nearly groaned out loud. They'd just gotten outside after hours of him hovering and bemoaning and begging her not to go. She opted not to follow him; at least, it would force him to come back outside. One step forward, two steps back.

He returned, as she assumed he would, frazzled and elated, a photo album in his hands. He flipped through it, one page gently pushed to the next, until he found what he was looking for and gingerly took it out. "Here," he said, handing it over to her.

It was her mother, Laura saw, in the same hat as her own, but with older clothes on. She was poised by her grandmother's door, a red bag on her shoulder and a smile on her face. A radiant Espeon stood by her side. She was just about Laura's age, she noted. Perhaps paranoia ran in the family.

"Very lovely, Pa," she said after a few minutes of silently staring, tilting her head up to smile at her father.

"Keep it. I want you to have a piece of us with you when you go."

Touched, Laura slid the photograph between the pages of her journal, then readjusting the strap of her bag as it resided on her shoulder. "What will I have of yours?"

Michael poked his head back inside the house, reaching for a book on the nearby table. He handed it to the trainer, who looked down to see the title. "Oh, Pa.. a book about berries?"

"You'll encounter many types as you explore that region. You need to know what's what," he said with a nod.

Mustering a smile, Laura tucked the book into her bag and looked down at her partner Pokemon, Her Squirtle, Lilah, was idly grazing in the flowers beside their home, enjoying the breeze and waiting for Laura to get moving. Which she should do, she thought with a jolt, turning back to her father. "I have to go, if I want to catch the train to Cerulean City."

With a sigh and a small nod, her father eloped her in yet another hug, this time quicker, and Laura broke away quickly. A lump was finally forming in her throat at the thought of a goodbye and she swallowed it down, turning towards Lilah. "Come, girl!"

Her Pokemon scurried towards her with a "Squirtle!" and Laura turned away from her house, towards the path that led to Saffron City. With her father watching her, she took one step forward, then another, up and over a hill and then down, until he was gone and she was on her way.

She never felt more terrified and elated in her entire life.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:34 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

It was sparkling dawn when Jean du Slateport sat on his knees in a small boat built for a boy and his pokemon. The waves bobbed the tiny vessel up and down, and if he was perfectly honest, a small part of him wanted to puke into the glistening royal blue beneath him. In his hands was a fishing rod, and attached to the fishing rod was a small computer--at least small enough to sneak by his father during inspection. He'd been clever enough to duct tape the tiny device to the inside of his thigh, and when the time came to remove the tape in the boat, he yelped and found choice words to whisper in Latin.

Yes, this was the first glimpse of Jean du Slateport, and if first impressions were worth anything, he would be quite disappointed, preferring to be introduced during a lecture at Slateport Academy, where he sat behind--in every class, as they were assigned in alphabetical order--Marcelene Salaad, the prettiest, most gentle and lightly-tanned sea goddess ever to emerge from the Slateport Harbor.

But there would be time for a love story later. This is a story about fishing, and more importantly, about a boy and his pokemon.

"Ridley," began Jean, since one must always begin with the most important word, "the area is clear of pokemon, and I'm not getting any data whatsoever!"

Ridley, perched on Jean's shoulder, leaned down and pecked a few buttons on the tiny computer, bringing up a radar of the surrounding 100 yards. "Chiiic," Ridley mused, and Jean agreed. It was then, in a sudden, that a dot appeared on the screen, moving to the north, then west, south, then east, and back north.

Jean scratched his head and furrowed his brow. "How curious, Ridley! I didn't know you could attract pokemon!" Jean rubbed his chin. "It must be your animal magnetism."

Torchic's eyebrows waggled deviously before their boat lurched forward, sending Ridley rolling into Jean's lunchbox. Wiping the droplets of water from his glasses, Jean peered around for the source of the sudden wave. The waters were calm. The water was dyed a deep blue. Far off in the distance, a girl floated by on her Blastoise.

Nevertheless, Jean returned his attention to the monitor taped to his fishing rod and watched the ping on the radar circle back again. A small screen appeared on his Pokedex app, and he opened it.

Magikarp
The Fish Pokemon

"Hear that, Ridley?! It's a fish!

Ridley rolled his huge eyes and perched back on Jean's shoulder, appraising the pokedex.

Magikarp
The Fish Pokemon

Magikarp is virtually useless in battle as it can only splash around. As a result, it is considered to be weak. However, it is actually a very hardy Pokemon that can survive in any body of water no matter how polluted it is.

Jean sniffed in the briny air. "Virtually useless in battle. What a horrible thing to say! Then again..." He pushed his glasses up on his nose. "What a remarkable species to study! It can live in any amount of pollution! What a great metaphor for the weak and meager, Ridley!"

Ridley blinked and thought on the metaphor, and responded only with a pensive "Chiiiic..."

Jean dropped his raincoat and tank top into the basin of the boat and strapped on a pair of spiked orange goggles. "I'm going in after our little friend! Hold down the fort, Ridley!"

"Chic!!"

Torchic began to panic as Jean dove overboard and vanished under the deep blue murk. There was a moment of silence before Torchic pecked on the radar screen to see Jean's dot approaching the Magikarp's dot.

Then the two met. The Magikarp's dot began blinking quicker and quicker, began moving; and Jean's dot followed immediately after. The two circled the boat time and time again. Torchic squawked as the Magikarp breached the top of the waves, Jean on his tail. The kid waved at his friend before going back under.

Jean grabbed the Magikarp's tail and held on as they kept gaining speed.

Ridley pecked the screen again to watch them go further, but then something unexpected happened.

Magikarp's dot began expanding. Suddenly it was two dots long.

Three.

Six.

Fifteen.

Ridley gasped as his boat was lurched to the side in wake of a gargantuan Gyarados with, you guessed it, Jean holding onto his tail.

The Gyarados flailed and threw Jean down into the boat with a huge splash. The wiry kid stood up in the boat and gawked at his huge blue friend. With a lump in his throat, he waved.

Gyarados leered down at him.

And Jean waved still.

Gyarados
The Atrocious Pokemon

Once Gyarados goes on a rampage, its ferociously violent blood doesn’t calm until it has burned everything down. There are records of this Pokemon’s rampages lasting a whole month.

Ridley pulled the oar over and put it in Jean's hand. Jean nodded without taking his eyes off the giant blue snake. He wasn't terrified; he wasn't awestruck. Ridley knew the look Jean displayed: he was recording data.

"Just look attim, Ridley! His scales radiate light like...like a Super Saiyan!" Jean licked his lips and looked down at his hand where a magnificent scale had come off during his tussle with the Magikarp. Though it had been red at first, it had turned that gorgeous and terrifying thunderstorm blue as the rest of Gyarados--and the concept blew Jean's mind!

"Chiiiic!"

Jean suddenly snapped out of his awe as Ridley pecked at his toes. "Oh! Yes, Ridley! At once!" Jean hopped down into the boat and began furiously paddling towards shore as the Gyarados gave chase. Just as Jean's arms began burning from the exercise, Gyarados dove below the surface. Jean stopped rowing and let the boat settle in the water for a moment, looking around. "Did he...give up?"

Ridley huddled under Jean's discarded shirt and coat and cowered, sensing looming doom.

Then, in a sudden, Gyarados shot up from the depths, energy beam charging in his massive jaws. Jean threw up the ore in defense as an instinct as the beam unleashed around the boat, launching them through the air and well into Slateport City's boundaries.

When Jean next opened his eyes, there was a curious green gecko standing on his chest, pulling at his left nipple.

"Faaab~*!"

"Fabosaur, leave that poor guy's tiny nipples alone."

Jean slowly leaned up on his elbows and rubbed his head, groaning. He was unharmed, but his boat was smashed against the vinyl siding of that guy's house. It was a bit smaller than his own house, but who was he to judge? He was sitting bare-chested in front of a courteous host--right.

"My name is J--"

"Jean du Slateport, indeed." The boy standing in the doorway of the house was blowing a bubble of green bubble gum that perfectly matched his sports jacket, and his Treecko. "We're already late for the plane, you know, Jean." The guy smacked the gum in his cheek and gave Jean a once-over. "We're the same height, chest size, and waist size, by looking at you." He sighed. "Come inside. I have another suit that'll fit you nicely."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:01 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Spoiler! :
you're all going to hate me.

Getting inside the cave had been easy. Getting out was proving to be a problem. Amara sighed and looked down at Fennekin. The fox pokemon peered up at her, his expression betraying his frustration. People kept trying to battle her, and it was beginning to piss her off. Amara had found a torch in her bag, not that she really needed it. There were glowy-reflective crystals all over the place, and the mirrors. She'd never seen anything like the, before.

"Fenni!"

They were just passing yet another trainer--who Amara was sure she'd passed before--when she realised it was a little bit brighter where they were. She frowned and looked down at Fenni. "What?" she demanded when he gave her a look. "We've been walking in circles for hours! What's with that look?"

"Um, miss?" the trainer called, and Amara rounded on her.

"I AM NOT BATTLING YOU!" she shouted, eyes narrowed. The trainer blinked at her, then she pointed to her right--and Amara's left--at the gaping exit in the cave wall. Pre-dawn light flooded in through the opening, casting eerie shadows along the cave floor and up the walls.

"Er, the exit's right there," she said, eyebrows raised. "You've been walking around in a giant circle."

Amara glared at her, then slid her eyes to the left slightly. She sighed, put the torch away and scooped up Fenni. "Thanks," Amara replied, heading for the exit. Fenni squirmed in arms, making her hold onto him tighter. "Come on, Fenni. Let's get out of here."

"Fennekin."

"I know, I know!" she muttered, struggling to hold onto the pokemon's squirming form. The trainer opened her mouth as Amara passed her, but Amara shot her the coldest glare ever. "SHUT UP, I'M NOT BATTLING YOU!"

"FENNEKIN!"

"ALRIGHT!" Amara snapped and set Fenni down. He trotted off out the exit with her close on his heels. "Are you happy now?" she called after him, scowling as he darted down the stairs. They were already in the next city, and the sun was peeking up over the horizon. Amara blinked at it. It certainly hadn't felt like twelve hours. "FENNI!"

Fenni stopped to look back at her from the bottom of the stairs before he took off again. Amara heaved an exasperated sigh. She very nearly tripped over her own feet as she rushed down the stairs to chase after her pokemon. Fenni, on the other hand, did not want to stay still. He kept running circles around her, right up until she nearly ran straight into a sign. She caught herself at the last second and backed up so she could read it.

Shalour City
A city of awakening.

"Defintiely caught the wrong bus," Amara muttered and turned to look for Fenni. She found him sitting in front of the Pokemon Center. Right in front of the doors. "Damnit, Fenni."

She trotted over to him and skidded to a halt, hands planted on her hips. He peered up at her and said, "Fenni. Fennekin!"

"It's a Pokemon Center. What's so exciting about that?"

"FENNEKIN."

"We can't stay here, Fenni," she chided gently. He gave her that look at she was pretty sure was a pout by now. "We have to get to Coumarine City!" Her stern look did nothing to shift that pouty look he gave her. "We don't have time to stop and rest, Fenni. I don't think the boat's gonna wait for us to get there."

"Fennekin!" he protested, and then yipped and dove out of the way as the doors opened. Amara didn't dodge in time and was knocked flat by a solid body, face-planting the dirt outside the Pokemon Center. Her bag fell off her shoulder a second later, scattering the contents of her bag across the grass. "Fenni!"

"OOOF!" Amara cried, spitting dirt out of her mouth. "That hurt!"

"Sorry!" called a boy but by the time she sat up to see who she'd run into and put her stuff back into her bag, he was gone. She hadn't even seen his face. Just his stupid fancy shoes. Shiny, black fancy shoes.

Grumbling, Amara shoved her clothes, shoes and supplies back into the bag. Fenni was by her side, dragging her sketch pad closer to her so she didn't have to reach so far. "Stupid rich kids," she muttered, taking the sketch pad off Fenni and shoved it in on top on a box of pokemon treats. "Stupid fancy shoes."

"Fenni!" Fenni said round a mouthful of pencil case. Amara glanced up and smiled. Laughing, she took it off him. Fenni gave her what passed for a smile. "Fenni!"

"Thanks, buddy," she said and gave him a scratch behind the ear. His smile seemed more like a grin by the second. She smiled wider. "Come on, let's get going. I hope they have a bus stop around here..."

Ten minutes later, after asking several random people, she finally had someone who could tell her about the bus: the Nurse in the Pokemon Center. Amara stared up at the pink-haired nurse in horror. She had to be joking!

"What did you just say?" she asked, leaning further over the counter. The nurse blinked at her.

"There won't be another bus for at least two hours."

"You've got to be kidding me!" Amara exclaimed, and fell to lay over the counter. "Two whole hours? I'm going to miss the boat!"

"Fennekin!"

"I'm sorry, miss," the nurse said, sympathy evident in her voice. Amara peered up at her from beneath her eyelashes. She watched the other lady tug on one pink ponytail. "You missed it by about an hour, and the next one isn't until seven." The nurse sighed. "You're welcome to stay in the Pokemon Center while you wait for the bus."

"Thanks," she muttered and pushed off the counter. "I guess I have no choice." She turned to look down at Fenni. "Come on, buddy. Let's go take a nap."

"Fenni-Fennekin!"

Amara took a set near the far wall and hugged her knees to her chest. Fenni hopped up onto the seat beside her and turned around in a circle. She watched until he deemed the seat good enough to curl up on, then she rested her chin on her knees and stared blankly across the room. Fenni began snoring a few minutes later.

Two hours later;

"Um, miss?" Someone shook her shoulder. They sounded vaguely familiar. "Excuse me, miss! The bus is here!"

Amara bolted upright. "Wha? Bus?" she asked, squinting up at the pink-haired person leaning over her. "What are you talking about?"

"The bus to Cerulean City is here," the person repeated, and Amara blinked. The nurse from earlier coalesced into existence, frowning down at her. "You'd best hurry. I don't think the driver will stay put much longer."

It took a moment for that to sink in, but once it did, Amara jumped to her feet, startling Fenni in the process. "OH!" she cried, "Thanks! Come on, Fenni! We better hurry." She turned to take off but the Nurse stopped her. Amara turned back with a mumbled, "What?"

"Take these with you," the Nurse told her, and handed over half a dozen potions. Amara stared at them blankly. "You're going to need them."

"Um, thanks?" Amara replied and accepted the potions. She shoved them into her bag. "I better go or that bus might leave without me. Bye--um...what was your name again?" The nurse just sighed and pointed to her name tag. It read; "Nurse Joy" and below that, it said "Shalour City Pokemon Center". Amara smiled brightly. "Thanks Nurse Joy! Bye Nurse Joy!"

She scooped up a sleepy Fenni and raced towards the door, waving over her shoulder. She nearly bumped into a pokemon on her way out. It protested the near-miss--"Wigglytuff!"--right before the door closed behind Amara.

"Bye! Good luck!" Nurse Joy called, but Amara didn't hear her.

Amara only just made it to the bus in time, skidding to a halt behind a boy who was waiting in line to get onto the bus. She swung her bag round in front of her and dug through it for Fenni's pokeball. She caught a glimpse of shiny black in her periphal vision and stopped short to take a closer look. Those shoes were familiar. Where had she seen the before?

The shoes moved up and Amara followed them, making sure she didn't bump into the owner of said shoes. She glared at the shoes, then followed the limbs in them up to a body, and then the back of a head. A pretty, stupid blond head. She ground her teeth together, then stepped forward to tap the guy on the shoulder.

"You're the moron who rushed out of the Pokemon Center earlier," she said, "and knocked me over. You should apologize."

"Excuse me?" the guy said, turning to face her and then he froze up when he saw her face. "You!"

"ME?" Amara exclaimed, shoving her bag out of the way and taking up a hands-on-hips stance. "YOU'RE the one who didn't look where he was going!"

"What do you mean?" he replied, glaring at her. "You're the one who was standing right in front of the doors like a moron, moron!"

She took a deep breath and was about to reply when Fenni spoke up; "FENNEKIN!"

They both turned to look down at him, and he seemed to try and shrink a little. "What?" Amara demanded, glowering at her pokemon. "What is it now?"

"Fenni?" he squeaked and turned to look towards the bus. They followed his movement and stared at the spot where the bus should have been. It wasn't there. It was about five hundred metres down the road.

"Damnit!" Amara ground out and scooped Fenni up. She raced after the bus, yelling; "WAIT FOR MEEEE!"

"AND ME!" the stupid moron guy yelled a second later.

The bus, amazingly enough, stopped. They nearly ran into the rear end--well, Amara would've if it wasn't for the moron grabbing her bag and jerking her back at the last second. She turned to glare at him. He stared back.

"What?" he demanded, arms crossed. "I'm not a complete jerk."

"You--" Amara began but he held up a hand to cut her off.

"Can we not argue right now?" he asked, gesturing towards to the idling bus. Amara exhaled loudly and rolled her eyes. The boy snorted. "Let's just get on the damn bus, okay?"

"Fine," she grumbled, pointing at him. "But you better not sit near me. I can still taste the dirt you knocked me into."

He made a noise--it sounded suspiciously like an aborted laugh--and headed for the bus doors. Amara followed closely on his heels. They proceeded onto the bus without much trouble (Fenni didn't even have to go into his 'ball) and took their seats, also without much trouble--until they realised they were sitting next to each other halfway down the bus.

Amara glared at him, hugging Fenni to her, and he glared back. The bus set off, jostling them, and they both looked away at the same time. Fenni squirmed until Amara gave him more room to move, and then he wriggled until she actually let him go. He sat on Amara's lap for a good ten minutes before he got bored and jumped down. She watched him wander around the bus, making friends with all the other pokemon and their trainers.

"So," the moron began, "where are you headed?"

"You still haven't apologized for knocking me over."

Moron sighed. "I'm sorry," he said, actually sounding sincere. Amara ignored him. "I really am. I was in a rush and... I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to knock you over." He sighed again, and she had the distinct impression that he was rubbing a hand over his face. She wasn't going to look to see if she was right. "It was stupid and being in a rush is not an excuse."

Amara watched Fenni for a moment. He was talking to someone's Sylveon, and he seemed pretty happy to be interacting with other pokemon. She sighed and turned towards Moron, eyes narrowed. "Apology accepted."

"Hunter," he said, and offered her a hand. Amara took it hesitantly.

"Amara."

"Nice to meet you, Amara," he said, smiling brightly. She rolled her eyes. Even his stupid face was pretty. "So, where're you headed?"

"Coumarine City," she replied, glancing towards Fenni. "We've got to catch a boat."

"A boat?" Hunter asked, frowning. "Do you mean the one to Kanto that leaves tomorrow morning?"

Amara blinked. "Is that when it's leaving?"

"Uh....yes."

"Well, then, yeah. That's the one."

They fell silent for about five minutes, listening to Fenni and the other pokemon chatting away at the back of the bus. Amara stared out the the window on the other side of the aisle, head propped up on her hand. Moron cleared his throat.

"So you're going to CAMP, too?" Hunter asked, making her turn towards him.

"Yep." Amara nodded. "I got the letter and everything."

"Cool," he said, tilting his head back to stare up at the roof of the bus. "I got one, too."

"Fennekin!" Fenni cried from the other end of the bus.

"Sylveon!"

"Fenni, get back here!" she called, leaning out into the aisle to see what the hell he was up to. Fenni glanced back at her, then back at the blue-and-white Slyveon before he trotted back down the bus towards her.

"Fenni!" he protested sourly.

Amara turned back to Hunter, frowning. Something seemed to be missing... "Where's your pokemon?"

Hunter's gaze dropped down to her face. He sat still for a moment and then face-palmed. "Damnit! I left him in the Pokemon Center!"

She started laughing. Amara couldn't help it--it was just too damn funny. Hunter glared at her, and she waved a hand at him. When her laughter eased, she reassured him. "I'm sure Nurse Joy can send him to you when you reach Coumarine. I assume he's in his pokeball?"

"Yeah," Hunter mumbled, eyes on the floor. "Man, do I feel like a moron. I bet he's really mad at me, too."

"Well, then. We've got some time to burn," she proclaimed. "Wanna play twenty questions?"

"No," he said flatly, glaring at her. Amara smirked.

"Oh, come on! Where's your sense of adventure?"

"It died when I got onto a bus with you." Hunter's glower-y expression didn't shift.

"Jerk," she muttered. "You're no fun."

"Brat," he shot back, and his lips twitched.

Amara's gaze narrowed. "You're just messing with me now, aren't you?"

"Never," he decreed and grinned at her. They devolved into arguing and then finally began a round of twenty questions. Or rather, twenty thousand questions. They had a lot of time to burn, after all.

Twenty minutes later, the bus began to slow down. Amara looked up from the map Hunter held and blinked. Fenni muttered sleepily from his perch on Hunter's lap. The little traitor had hopped up onto the moron's lap sometime during their round of twenty thousand questions.

"We're stopping?" Amara asked, frowning. "Already?"

Hunter gave her a weird look. "You didn't realise it was only half an hour from Shalour to Coumarine, did you?"

"Um..."

"I'll take that as you not knowing," he said dryly, rubbing behind Fenni's right ear. The little fox pokemon began to make content noises. "We should stop by the Pokemon Center before heading for the boat." Hunter grimaced. "I want to get Espurr back before he uses Echoed Voice on me again."

Amara stared at him. "Espurr? Really?" she asked, eyebrows raised. Hunter just gave her a look. "What? I'm just....curious. How did that happen?"

Hunter sighed. "My mum's idea of a starter pokemon," he muttered, dragging his fingers through his stupid blond hair. "She thinks normal pokemon are the best starters. I beg to differ, but she didn't give me Espurr until I got the letter. Funny how that works, eh?"

The bus rolled to a complete stop and Amara handed Hunter's map back to him. She'd lost hers somewhere between entering Reflection Cave and getting on the bus. The bus driver called out the stop and they got off the bus together. Hunter paused to wave at the driver as the bus drove off. Amara humoured him, tapping her foot against the ground as she waited.

Finally, Hunter stopped his idiotic waving and they headed straight for the Pokemon Center where Hunter got Nurse Joy to send him Espurr. Then they rushed over to Hillcrest Station, trying to catch the monorail before it left. They only just got onto the monorail in time, and chose a couple of seats in the nearly empty car.

"I don't think I should let him out yet," Hunter said, staring at Espurr's pokeball. Amara peered at it with him. "He's going to hit me with Echoed Voice, I swear it."

"Uh, yeah," Amara muttered, edging away from the other trainer slightly. "Let's not bring Espurr out until after we're off the monorail."

"Good plan." With a grimace, Hunter put the pokeball away.

Several minutes later, they were off the monorail and racing towards the boat only to discover they couldn't board the boat yet. In fact, the event coordinator wasn't even there yet and the guy watching the boat was very grumpy. Amara suspected he'd had a very late night and it had included some very strong alcohol.

"Come back tomorrow," grunted the guard-guy. He didn't even look at them. "Gotta wait for the other guy to come back. Think he's in the hotel."

And that was all they got out of him, so they back-tracked and headed for the hotel. One argument later, after discovering the only room left only had one bed (and after a "I AM NOT SHARING A BED WITH YOU!" and an angry "WELL, I'LL TAKE THE BED. YOU CAN SLEEP ON THE FLOOR!"--and a quick switcheroo when Hunter wasn't looking) and they were settled in for a very uncomfortable night's sleep. At least, one of them was anyway, and it wasn't Amara.

The next morning, Amara woke up to find a groggy Hunter staring back at her. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY BED?"

Hunter blinked slowly. "What?" he mumbled, rolling onto his back. "The floor was uncomfortable."

Amara resisted the urge to kick him out of the bed. "What time is it?"

"Fenni," Fennekin muttered sleepily from behind Amara. She sat up and gave him a scratch behind the head. "Fennekin."

The clock beside the bed, when she checked, said ten-o-four in the morning. Amara stared at it for a long moment and then turned to nudge Hunter. "When did you say that boat was supposed to leave?"

"Ten-thirty," he muttered, throwing an arm over his eyes. "Why?"

"It's, uh, ten-o-four, Hunter."

"SHIT!"

The scramble to get up and ready startled Fennekin into using Ember. Putting out the tiny fire that caused cost them ten minutes. Packing up and checking-out cost them another ten, and by the time they got to the boat, the Event Coordinator representative person was tapping his foot impatiently. They barely made it with time to spare.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:23 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

"Come here, Golden." Ostrava whispered. The Tepig looked at him pensively and sat by his legs. He'd have to get food her soon. IT's been almost a day since she'd eaten. It's been almost a day since I've eaten. He thought solemnly, but he couldn't dare leave his mother. She's going to get better. I'll be right here when she does.

His left pocket held a small piece of paper, folded thrice. She has always fought through this before.

There were many more folds in that paper now, created from crumpling it and unfolding it to read it again. I'll be right here. She'll get better. She-

"Mr. Baldwin?" Golden peered up at the shadow above her blocking her vision of the delicious Pokemon berry machine. Ostrava couldn't bring himself to look up.

"Y-yes?" He muttered in a small voice, any more concentration on talking and he wouldn't have been able to keep the tears in. He could already hear the conversation.
“Your mother has stopped breathing. She asked not to be on a ventilator. I’m so-“

“Your mother’s awake. She would like to speak with you.” Ostrava jumped up. Golden sat there, looking up at the two men with curious eyes. They didn’t have any food, so not that interesting, of course.

“Stay, Golden.” Ostrava followed the doctor or nurse or whoever he was to his mother’s room. It didn’t matter anymore because they were getting out of there-

The doctor pulled the curtain back. She was… small. Her skin matched the clear white of the sheets that draped over her. What little meat she had on her bones had faded away, leaving thin folds of ghostly skin to remember the loss.

She turned to the door where Ostrava stood and a sad smile wrapped her gaunt face. “Hey, sweetie.”

The man left with a soft I’ll leave you two alone, but Ostrava didn’t care. He stumbled over to her bed, their hands meeting in a small grasp. She frowned. “You look terrible, Ostrava. Have you gotten any sleep since I’ve been here?”

“Always worrying about me, Mom.” He shook his head softly. “Have you looked at yourself lately?” She chuckled a small bit, a raspy use of air that ended in a hacking cough.

The smiled faded from Ostrava’s face. “How’re you feeling? Better, right? I mean, you woke up, so that’s a good sign, isn’t it?”

She grabbed his arm and squeezed. “They don’t know, sweetie. They don’t know what’s actually wrong with me.”

“They’re keeping you, then, aren’t they? I thought you would be allowed to go since you’re up and everything.”

“They’re letting me go if I want to. Oh, Ostrava, they said the same thing all the other hospitals do. There’s nothing they can do for me.” She sighed. “Ostrava, I’m dying. Ah, my body’s giving up on me.” After a thought, she added, “I can’t say I blame it, for all I’ve put it through.”

“But you woke up-“

“I see you got your acceptance letter to CAMP.”

“What?” She pointed to his left pocket.

“I know for a fact they would never had said no to you, Ostrava.” She pushed herself to somewhat of a sitting position, so she could see him better. “I asked them to let me have a phone call before I let you know I was awake. I talked to your grandmother. She’s coming down to take care of me while you’re at CAMP.”

“But-“

“No, no ‘but’s. Not this time. I want you to go home, pack for CAMP, and leave by tonight. No saying goodbyes, none of that. I’ve had you cramped up enough here as it is.” She smiled, a sad one that never reached her eyes, but it still looked genuine enough. He didn’t object as she pulled him into as tight of a hug as she could muster. His body was too numb to do much of anything but follow the orders she gave him.

She pulled the pamphlet out of his pocket. “I’m sure there’s instructions on here for getting to CAMP. Follow them. Take Golden with you. Take care of her, and take care of yourself.”
“I’ll try,” was all he could get out.

“I have no doubt.” She looked him up and down a few times, like she was burning this memory into her mind. Then she nodded. “Now go. Pack everything you need, and don’t forget to eat something.”

And he did. He left her in that room, grabbed a sleeping Golden, and ran home to pack everything he could remember into a small bag, and left. Left his home, left his life. Left his mother.

And he never said good-bye.

“Tepig!” Golden waddled over to Ostrava as he plopped down on the grass.

“Golden, how the hell do I get to Castelia City from here?” She shrugged and grabbed the berry out of his hand, contentedly munching on it. He sighed. “I have no clue either.” He groaned. “At least you’re happy.”

Pulling out the pamphlet one more time, he skimmed through it, trying to find any tips on how to get to Castelia City.

“Great. Nothing, again. This thing is all about what we’re supposed to do once we’re in Inota. It says nothing about how to get to anywhere before that. ‘Yes, lets just let these kids get to these cities on their own devices before they get to Inota and just hope they don’t die a horrible and painful death like get eaten by a Snorlax or something.’” He covered his face with his hands.

“Well, there was something in there about an escort, but you wouldn’t know anything about that, would you, Mr. Baldwin.” Ostrava glanced up to see a young (well, older than him, but still young) man in a green suit and hair a subtle hue of fiery orange and dark purple. “The name’s Styler, and I’ll be your CAMP representative until you arrive in the Inota region.” He held out a hand and flashed a bright smile.

“So, you’ve never been out of Virbank City? I mean, out to the rest of Unova?”

Ostrava shook his head. “I never really traveled much, honestly. I had to stay home for… reasons.” Golden stretched out on his lap, emitting something of a mixture between a yawn and a growl. Absentmindedly ruffling the little Pokemon’s fur, Ostrava cleared his throat. “What about you? You seem to know your way around the region. I mean, I never thought about taking a boat to Castelia City.” He gulped, looking over the edge. “I haven’t been on a boat in a long, long time.”

Styler didn’t seem to notice the apprehension. “Ah, well, I’ve been to basically all the regions. I’m an artist, so I search for inspiration everywhere. I eventually settled down in Inota, though.” He stared off into the distance. “Inota is just full of possibilities and surprises. Full of fresh starts, un-written pages.” He sighed contentedly. “It’s just so… different. And CAMP is hoping to invite you to the experience, in hopes that you will make a difference in the region.”

“I still don’t understand why I got accepted into CAMP, though.” Ostrava glanced down at Golden, who was asleep in his lap, snoring and grunting so often. At least she was fine in a boat. Irony at its best.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that I’m not a trainer, nor will I ever be one. I don’t battle because I don’t believe in harming any living being. I don’t understand ho-“

Styler busted out laughing. Here he was trying to be honest to this stranger and he was getting laughed at for his troubles. He noticed Ostrava’s grim look and stopped. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry. It’s just, I didn’t mean to offend you, of course, but CAMP isn’t just for teaching people how to become trainers and battle their Pokemon. That’s actually just a bonus, if you will. Having Pokemon, no matter who you are or what you do, should always be about friendship and bonding. That’s what CAMP is trying to teach. Having a deep bond in general is something the Inota region has all but forgotten these days.” His eyes took a fierce glint. “Bond between humans and Pokemon is the single strongest force in this world. Don’t forget that, Ostrava.”

The boat slowed and shifted back and forth as it enter the bay, waking Golden with the change of motion. “Ah, welcome to Castelia City, Mr. Baldwin.” Styler said with his usual fanciness, the glint gone. “In just a few hours, you’ll be in the Inota region.” He chuckled. “This is fun, isn’t it?”

“I don’t know if fun is how I’d describe it.” Ostrava muttered, turning green and leaning over the edge of the boat.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:14 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

I tossed the majority of my monotonous wardrobe into the large black suitcase my mother had brought for me. Fabosaur stood at my side, watching me move to and from my closet as I hoped I didn’t forget anything. I packed a single pair of jeans in with the rest of my clothes, just in case I decided to get a bit wild, and zipped up the bag.

“Sue, are you ready yet? I got you a present!” Mom shouted at me from downstairs.

I grabbed the handle of the suitcase and ran in front of the mirror, “Do you think I look alright?”

“Fab~*.”

Together we made our way down the steps, only to find my ecstatic mother waiting right in front of them. She hugged us both as if she hadn’t seen us in years, and my father stood in the back with his arms crossed.

“I still don’t see why you have to go away to this, thing. You know what you could’ve done with the money we’re spending on this place?” Dad asked me.

“Dad, the camp is free.” I told him, mother still squeezing us.

“So is me flying the back of my hand to your face.” He said raising the bamboo figure he called his forearm.

DON’T SPEAK TO OUR SON LIKE THAT.” Mom said, suddenly right in front of father’s face. I watched him put his hands on his head and start quivering as mother turned back to us, all peachy, “Now then dears, I told you I had a present for you!”

She ran in to the kitchen and father recomposed himself, “I’m telling you there are better things you can do with your time.”

WHAT.” Mom’s voice rattled the house.

“Nothing.” Dad replied as he sunk back into fetal position.

Mother came out of the kitchen with a two boxes and handed one to both Fabosaur and I. She stared at us as she waited for us to open them. I tugged off the wrapper of mine and found a mysterious pair of footwear sitting inside the box. Fabosaur had already tossed on his present, a shirt and sweater made just for him.

“What are these, Mom?” I asked.

“They’re sneakers, Sue! Now you can run around and play with the other kids without worrying about messing your nice shoes up!” She told me.

I smiled and hugged her, “Thanks, Mom.”

“How about you,” she turned to our Treecko, “You like your present?”

“Fab~*.”

With that, I picked up my suitcase and we headed for the door. I took a deep breath before opening it and looking out into the sky. Turning back once more, I said, “Bye Mom and Dad! I’ll miss you guys!”

“Just remember our deal,” Dad said, back to standing up straight, “Write to us everyday so we know how you’re doing. Or else…

“If I happen to forget one day,” I said, putting on the sunglasses mother got me and stepping outside, “Sue me.”
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:21 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

"Have you got your passport? And your socks? And your tshirts? And your toothbrush? And your sunglasses? How about a notebook? A pen? Two pens? Pencils? Do you need something to read on the plane? Sweets to stop your ears popping? Have you got your registration letter? Travel insurance? Your razor?"

Keira had been like this all morning, her voice steadily getting faster and higher as she trailed Byron around the house.

"How about pyjamas? Your underwear? That map of Kanto region I found? Have you got a belt? Spare shoes? A lead for Lainie?"

"Lainie doesn't need a lead," Byron said, putting a water bottle in his rucksack.

"But how about everything else? Have you got everything else?" Keira asked.

Byron turned and put a hand on each of his fifteen year old sister's shoulders. "Keira. I have everything. We've done this checklist three times already."

Colour rose to her cheeks. "Yes," she said. "And every single time you've forgotten something!"

"Not this time," he promised. He glanced at Lainie, curled up on top of his unmade bed. "This time we're good to go. And should probably go pretty soon," he said, glancing at his watch. "I don't want to be late for the plane."

"I can't believe you're getting a private jet," Keira said with a wistful sigh, leaning against his doorpost and twirling a long blonde pigtail in her hands. "How glamorous."

"And you're sure you'll be okay without me?"

It was Keira's turn to sigh. "Yes, Byron."

"You'll be okay? You know about how to give Mum her medication? And you know to check the twins' window is locked at night? And you know to tie up the laurel saplings once they're drooping? And you know not to let that Vulpix from No. 27 into the nursery no matter how cute he is? And you know that Kyra is home late on a Thursday because she has extra maths? And you know-"

"I know, Byron," Keira said, patting his shoulder. "I'll be fine. As long as you are."

He reached over and gave his sister a hug. She hugged him back fiercely. "Now," she said, her voice tight with tears she wouldn't let fall. "Come on. You'd better say bye to the rest of them."

Which took half an hour or so. The twins suddenly became very clingy, sobbing and begging Byron not to leave. Kyra gave him four more books to put in his bag. Bradynn hung her arms around his neck and begged at every juncture for him to take her with him.

Finally, he came to his mother, standing back from the chaos. Byron hugged her tightly.

“Here,” she said. “I have something for you.”

It was a tiny muslin bag. “It’s good Chester seed,” she said. “I thought maybe if there was a little courtyard or garden or whatever, somewhere nice, maybe you could plant it there. It might feel like you’re there with us.”

“I think we’re moving around a lot, Mum,” Byron said.

“Then plant a little bit of it everywhere.” She grinned. “I’ll miss you,” she said, gulping back a sob and reaching to ruffle his hair. “Take care, okay?”

“I will.”

He hugged her again.

The sun was setting over Viridian Forest. Byron inhaled the scent of trees deeply. He knew there would be trees in Inota, but he wasn’t entirely sure that they would be these trees, that they would smell this good, spread their limbs this wide. Byron had never been away from home before.

Lainie stood by his side. “Bulba?” she asked quietly.

“Yes,” Byron replied. “We’re going on a big adventure.”

“Saaaur.”

He adjusted his rucksack on his back, and with a final look at his family - smiling, waving, happy tears on Keira’s face, he took the first step.

Some people were scared of Viridian Forest. Byron knew the woods well enough not to be. He and Lainie walked mostly in silence - sticking to the path. Byron was very insistent that they stick to the path because he knew what happened to would-be trainers in the long grass-

“BUUUULBA!”

He spun around. Lainie stood square on the path, eyes narrowed, vines whipping over her head angrily. “BULBA.”
“Lainie, what is it - ooooh shhhh-“

It was a Pidgey. Not a very large or alarming Pidgey, but it had a ferocious look in its eyes, as it raked a foot across the grass and eyed Lainie up.

“Lainie, get back,” Byron said softly. “If we leave it alone, maybe it will - Lainie what are you doing?

Lainie charged and tackled the Pidgey, or at least tried. With a hop, the Pidgey was out of her way.

It avoided the attack!

“Lainie, don’t make me do this,” Byron said, pulling out her Pokéball. But before he could recall her, there was the sound of a huge rush of sand. There wasn’t even sand in Viridian, how was it doing this?

But the Pidgey was working up a whirlwind with its wings, and all of a sudden Byron couldn’t see Lainie, just hear a pathetic cry of “Bulba!”

“Lainie!” he shouted as she tried to tackle again, and instead rammed her head into the ground. The Pidgey took its chance and ran full-kilter at her.

BANG!!!!!

“I don’t know what happened,” he explained tearfully to Nurse Joy. “I kept telling her to come back, and before I knew it, she just - and then -“

Nurse Joy put a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Don’t you worry, we’ll get her fixed up like new! Why don’t you take a seat in the waiting area?”

Byron handed over Lainie’s Pokéball and sat down on the plush pink-red chairs. He checked his watch and sighed. He and Lainie wouldn’t be out of here until morning. He had so many plans for while he was in Pewter - he was going to see the Science Museum, and send his first postcard back to his siblings. But if he was to get to Cerulean in time, he didn’t have time for any of that. He still had to get through Mt Moon and… well. He didn’t want to think about what mischief Lainie could get up to there.

He picked up a copy of Poké Chic, randomly turning to Ms Jinx’s Friendly Advice Column, where a Coordinator was asking which bow would best suit her Meowth.

As if a Meowth would ever win a contest. I mean, come on.

“Did you go up against Brock?”

Byron looked over to where a small girl - younger than Kyra, sat swinging her legs next to him. “I tried,” she said, “but Cassie just couldn’t do it!”

“Aw, I’m sorry to hear that,” said Byron. “Maybe next time.”

She nodded. “Next time, Brock won’t know what hit him! Hey, but you must have all your gym badges already, right? You’re so old!”

“Um.”

“How many Pokémon do you have? What’s the best fight you’ve ever been in? What do you think s the best team? My friend Beth reckons you need two Water types on your team if you want to get anyway but I think she’s wrong - what do you think? Hey, what do you think?”

“Byron Chester?” asked Nurse Joy. Byron looked up. Lainie was standing on a lead beside her.

“She doesn’t need a lead,” Byron said instinctively.

“Are you sure?” asked Nurse Joy. “You don’t want her running into any more Pidgey fights, do you?”

The little girl screwed up her eyes. “That’s your Pokémon?” she asked. “And you got beaten by a Pidgey? What kind of trainer are you?”

Byron was wondering exactly the same thing.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:02 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Connie Callaghan

“Oh look, a Gyarados.”

At the moment, the words had been idle chatter, an observation from one sailor to another as they mulled over their morning porridge. Slowly, they looked up and stared at each other, their chewing slowing to a halt as realization began to dawn upon them.

“Gyarados!”

“Hard to starboard!”

“Man the cannons!”

“Where’s my super suit?”

And amidst the chaos of the sailors rushing about, bumping into one another in panic, a young lad sat atop a crate of gunpowder, enjoying his front-row seat to watch the world burn.

His Chespin sat beside him, tugging on his sleeve while giving him a worried look. “It’s fine, Emma,” he assured shamelessly. “Stuff like this happens all the time.”

Emma crossed her arms and gave him a stern look. The boy simply chuckled and petted her emerald head. “Come on,” he chided, hoisting her up to place her in his lap. “Isn’t this fun?”

The Gyarados roared as it smashed its tail into the center of a patrol boat, sending the lifeguards aboard flying as the bow and stern collapsed on one another. Thrashing around in the surf, the atrocious serpent fired off Hyper Beams in a glorious laser show. The boy cheered as a blast from its mouth sent a bystander flying into the city. And his dumb Torchic, too.

“Damn,” he mumbled through stolen spoonfuls of porridge from the sailors’ bowls. “Now that’s impressive. Think you could take him?” he teased his Chespin with a grin, oblivious to the sailors roaring overly manly battle-cries as their cannons fired a valiant fusillade of justice.

“Hey! Swabbie!” A booming voice burst through the panicked yells.

Stiffening, the boy pretended not to notice.

“Swabbie!”

Still nothing.

“Swab-”

“I have a name, dammit!” the boy erupted at the captain standing behind him.

The sturdy admiral grunted through his beard. “And what might that be?”

Smirking, the boy whirled with a flourish, theatrically positioning himself to face the captain. “I, good sir, am the illustrious Con-”

“Swabbie.”

Connie glared at the captain, before letting the anger diffuse as quickly as it had come. “Fine. Whaddaya need, Cap?”

“Get offa my crate and into the fight!” The captain coupled his rant with aggressive gestures.

Connie turned back to observe the carnage. “But that ain’t what you pay me for, boss. I’m just the swabbie, remember? Jeez,” he muttered, looking away, “didn’t even get a going-away party. How long have I been doing this? Three years? Four?”

The admiral’s gaze softened with the sympathy of old age. He hesitated a moment before speaking. “Moon!” he roared at a sailor who was manning a particularly large cannon. “Gimme a hand!”

As the sailor, Moon, scrambled over to to help with the gunpowder, the captain turned to Connie, gesturing to the cannon. “It’s all yours.”

Connie’s and Emma’s eyes widened with respective elation and horror. “Really?” the boy exclaimed.

The captain nodded, the edges of his face crinkling with smile lines. “Give ‘im hell, boy.”

Not wasting a second, Connie leaped from the crate, cradling Emma in his arm. Dashing to the cannon, he realized that the captain hadn’t just given him any old cannon - he’d given him the Octazooka.

The pride and joy of the S.S. Octillery, the Octazooka was a powder-guzzling engine of American-style justice. Grinning maliciously, Connie aimed the famed cannon straight at the Gyarados.

“Swabbie!” he heard the admiral call. The old man rolled a giant cannonball in his direction. “You’ll need this!”

“Not today, Cap!” Connie cheered as he returned Emma to her Pokeball, much to her dismay. Clambering nimbly down the cannon’s barrel, he shimmied his way to the muzzle, bringing a cloth tarp with him.

The captain’s face froze in horror as Connie descended into the cannon, wrapping the tarp around him. As he watched, a single hand poked out from the end, holding a burning match. With a deft flick of the wrist, the match flew up the barrel of the cannon, landing flame-first onto the fuse.

Panicking, the captain rushed towards the cannon, trying to stifle the flame before-
Boom.

“YYEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!” Connie yelled as he shot towards the Gyarados. The beast turned to acknowledge the loud, flaming blur heading straight for it, understandably confused.

The wind whipped in Connie’s face as he drew near. But suddenly:

Dananananananananananananananana dun dun, du-dun dun, du-duh!

“The hell?”
A wild GYARADOS appeared!

“Who’s saying that?”
CONNIE used Brave Bird!

“What-”
The Gyarados roared as the screaming projectile struck it in the neck full-force. With swirlies in its eyes, the azure serpent crashed down into the surf.
GYARADOS fainted!

“AAAAAAGGGHH MY SPLEEN!”
CONNIE is hit with recoil!

“EVERYTHING IS BLEEDING”
CONNIE gained 130 exp. points!

“Wait, really? Sweet!”
But now CONNIE is drowning!

“AAGHTHSPTHAAAGH”
CONNIE used Surf!

The boy grasped wearily at the wreckage of a lifeboat. “Oh, thank God I can swim.”
But GYARADOS’ defeated corpse used Whirlpool!

Connie watched in horror as the Gyarados sunk beneath the waves, causing a slipstream in its absence. He began a frantic doggy-paddle as the whirlpool sucked him in.

CONNIE used Dive!

“GRAAPPTHAAAAAGGH”

------------

About a half-hour later, a seaweed-plastered boy crawled out of the surf, collapsing onto Slateport Beach. He lay there for a while, staring up at the azure Hoenn sky, tracing the clouds with his finger. The grin never left his face.

“Inota,” he said. “Fancy that.”
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:05 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Heljin – Why so Mudkip?

Heljin stared at Daedalus with a disapproving gaze. Daealus stared at Heljin with googly eyes.

“...Mudkip?”

“No.”

“...Kip?”

“I said no.”

The Mudkip let out the cutest chirp in her vast collection, instantly making a good chunk of her trainer's resolve sink.

“...Daedalus, You're not getting a top hat yet!”

“Kiiiiiip...”

Daedalus walked back to the edge of the garden, where a painting had been completed in the mud. It represented a shiny red top hat with a golden belt around it and a pink spiral-like feature on drawn on it.

“Look, that's the thirty-second hat you're painting, and I'm starting to believe you have grave fetish issues.”

“Kip.”

“Oh. Thirty-three. Right. Point is, we've been over this! I wasted most of my pocket money to make sure I had everything planned and ready for the Camp, so I can't pay you one yet! Besides, we'd need to go to Fortree City if we want someone to make one for you. And it's far away!”

Daedalus chirped again, obviously saddened by the turn of the conversation.

“C'mon, it's not so bad!” Heljin continued. “We'll probably find a top hat somewhere in the Inota region. Besides, it'll be just the two of us. No Mom, no bragging bro, and I'm even leaving Chromink and Guilmet this time. It's just you, me… And aaaaaall those 'Mons you'll have to battle along the way!”

Daedalus suddenly lifted her tiny head, her eyes widened and a deranged smile stuck on the face.
Creepy 'Dalius was back.

“Yeah, well, I need to train you before you fight anyone,” Heljin added quickly, “so please contain your battle-gasms for now, it's bad for your lifespan. Time to go to the Camp.”

Daedalus nodded furiously, her sadness disappeared. Heljin pulled out his pokeball and put the Mudkip back inside of it. It was time to go.

“Mom?” he called. “I'm leaving!”

Heljin's mother appeared at the doorstep just as he opened the closed gate to freedom and adventure. She ran towards him, smiling warmly in her red Pokemon Breeder outfit.

“I still don't like this jacket of yours,” she said, “Much too dark for my taste. But I'm glad you're ready to go, honey. Are you sure you–”

“Always travel lightly during a long trip,” Heljin recited quickly. “Scarf's around my neck whenever I'm cold, I packed some durable food, and yes, I took the “Cooking with Berries” book, my folding Mach Bike's already in the big black backpack that I'm wearing, I've got my wallet, a second Zoroark suit – glowing shoes included – and my normal clothing if I have to wash both of my suits. Oh, and my Pokegear's in my pocket. There! I got everything!”

“...Actually, I wanted to ask if you had received your father's message on that Pokegear of yours,” she replied carefully.

“Yes, and thenyou would've asked me if I had forgotten something in that backpack of mine!” Heljin said, pointing an accusing finger on his mother.

“I'd be a really bad mother if I didn't make sure of that anyway,” she admitted, shrugging. “Well, off you go then. And don't forget: you're only going with Daedalus! I need your other little assistant here with me while you're away. Oh, and your brother told me to say goodbye for him.”

Heljin chuckled. “Tell him he's the next target on my list once I become a decent trainer.”

“Forget about him for now, Jinny.”

“Gosh, Mom, you need to stop calling me that.”

“...This is your experience,” she continued more seriously, “so you ought to enjoy it. You're not a baby anymore.”

“Trust me Mom, I know,” Heljin replied, smiling. “There's something I really need to, and I can't do it 'til I become an actual trainer. So I'll be practicing a lot.”

“It's good to have an objective to strive for. Be sure to realize it, whatever it is.”

“Even if it's drug dealing?”

“...Well. As long as you give me some of your money...”

“Dream on!”

They both laughed, and Heljin received a motherly kiss on the cheek.

“I'll miss you, Jinny. Don't forget to write back to me, okay?”

“I promise I will! You'll know everything. Bye Mom!”

Heljin opened his backpack and pulled out his Mach Bike, rolling his way out of home after he opened the gate. His eyes gazed forward almost too intensively.
Now was not the time to get all emotional. Goodbyes could be temporary after all.

“Free at last!” he exclaimed, directing himself south, right out of Mauville City. “Hey Daedalus, Come out and feel that breeze!”

Heljinn let his Pokemon out. The Mudkip was released and instantly climbed on her trainer's shoulder, fully appreciating the speedy wind crashing on her face.

“Kip! Mudkip!”

“The Cycling Road? Of course we're going there, buddy! It's the fastest way to Slateport.”

Heljin went straight for Route 110, where the familiar Seaside Cycling Road could be found. It was a raised section made so that trainers equipped with bikes or rollers could bypass wild Pokemons and access Slateport more easily.

“Last time was 9.8 seconds,” Heljin told Daedalus. “I'm sure we can beat that! Right?”

“Mud? Mudkip?”

The trainer raised an eyebrow.

“No, not really. I kinda stopped thinking about setting new records after… Well, I told you.”

“Kip.”

“Yeah. Latios.”

An awkward silence followed Heljin's words. With a sigh, the boy entered the Cycling Road, slightly melancholic. He had to find Latios and gaze into his eyes once again. Even if it meant hunting the Legendary down all over Hoenn. He had to catch it.

"Hah! Maybe I do have issues too after all. Like Trainer, like 'Mon." he thought to himself.

“Hey! You!” someone said as he passed. “You look like a fine Tr–”

Another advantage that Heljin found on the Road was that, after riding it enough times and with the correct speed, it was impossible for any Triathlete to catch him, therefore he didn't need to battle his way through it like so many other teens too scared to handle a Mach Bike had to.

“Pff! These amateurs...” Heljin whispered to himself as he slalomed between bikes and walls alike. He pulled off a flawless slide upon reaching the end of the road and gazed at his pokegear, frowning.

“D'aaaw. 10.12 seconds. Guess I wasn't really focused today. And speakin' of focused, now that we're close to… Hey. Hey, Daedalus? What are you doing?”

Daedalus had jumped off Heljin's shoulder. She was slowly walking away from him, her tiny eyes once again widened while her face stretched to form the creepy “smile” she always did when she wanted very badly to do battle something. And slightly away from her, laying on a bed of tall grass was an innocent-looking, green, slimy... thing with a yellow feather-like feature on top of its head.
A Wild Pokemon.

“...Kiiiiiiiip...”

“No, Daedalus, wait. That thing's a Gulpin, I'm sure of it! And you remember what my magazine says about it, right?”

Heljin knelt right in front of Daedalus, trying his best to get her attention again.

“...Most of its body is occupied by his stomach. And its digestive system can melt almost anything. So, since that thing can take hits and knows how to battle, which by the way I don't, I'm going to put my bike away, put on some fancy music, and we're going to walk fabulously all the way to Slateport. No battle, no injuries. Alright?”

Heljin stared at Daedalus with a disapproving gaze. Daealus stared at Heljin with googly eyes. Her smile was slowly replaced by a tiny, adorable pout.

“...Mudkip?”

No.”

“Kip?”

"I said no. C'mon, we're–”

Daedalus unleashed a perfectly harmonized concert of lovely chirps and proceeded to cuddle Heljin's leg. The latter sighed in return, already regretting his next decision.

“...You really do have issues.” he said before walking towards the wild Gulpin, an overjoyed Mudkip following his steps.

“...And there you go! All of your Pokemons have been successfully healed. Good luck on your next battles!”

Heljin thanked the nurse before grabbing his Pokeball, sighing.

“Daedalus, go.”

The Mudkip came out of her tiny home, trying not to look directly into her master's eye. They both left the Slateport's Pokemon Center in haste before moving towards the docks, where a single ship was awaiting for them.

“I hate to say that I told you so...” Heljin began. “But I– well, you know how it goes.”

He glanced at his Pokemon, noticing that not an ounce of regret was visible in her gaze. In fact, she looked peculiarly happy for a Pokemon who'd just been knocked out in a single shot by a sleeping poisonous slug.

“You know what,” Heljin continued, “You're right. Forget all of this – for now. Let's just put on some music before we reach this stupid ship and get to the Camp.”

With that said, Heljin pulled out his Pokegear and proceeded to crank up the volume of his Musical player, singing along the lyrics while a joyful Mudkip danced around him.

Spoiler! :
phpBB [media]

"Because you know I'm spinnin' round that base, round that base prepare for trouble!
I'm spinnin' round that base, round that base, make it double!
I'm spinnin' round that base, round that base, round that base,
I'm spinnin' round that base, round that base…
"
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:55 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Introductions suck... a whole damn lot.

This blue-haired dude who looked like he was trying to be hipster awkwardly approached Mari and Mr. What'shisface-CAMP-representative-dude, and blue-dude stared Mari down with a, "Dang, this girl looks like she wants to kill me," and Mari stared him down like, "Dang, this dude smells like something dead." He seriously smelled like burnt pizzas mixed with rotten eggs. Does he ever shower?!

The smell was so overwhelming that Mari almost didn't hear the two CAMP reps say, "Mari, this is Jayce. Jayce, this is Mari," as Jayce hesitantly offered his hand.

Oh hell no. If she touched him, she might—

Just before she could take action, Changa suddenly lunged forward towards Jayce's face. "Chang chim, char!" he yelled out, which in English terms, meant, "What is this color on this human head!" Perching on Jayce's shoulder, he played with his blue hair, and even tried to pull it out.

"Sorry," Mari said through a chuckle. "This is Changa."

With irritation seeping into his voice due to his hair being pulled, Jayce gestured over to his staring Turtwig beside him. "And this is Pebbles."

Pebbles? That's...an interesting name for a Turtwig.

At that moment, a third CAMP rep approached them with another girl who had olive skin and long white hair. Arieon, this girl's name was. Her green pokemon Mari was vaguely familiar with—a Snivy, was it?—was named Darth.

There was something about this girl that seemed to click with Mari. Maybe it was the fact that their names kind of rhymed, or maybe it was the way she also looked at Jayce funny since he smelled super bad. Whatever it was, Mari said, "You can call me Mari."

"And you can call me Arie," she said back.

After some long small talk conversations, the boat finally arrived. Excitement bubbled in Mari as well as Jayce and Arie, and the minutes seemed to blur by wildly. The reps told them some instructions that Mari didn't bother listening to, they docked their stuff, and they were finally permitted to go inside.

The boat was definitely luxurious, but it was very small—like the size of a big living room kind of small. It was still very nice, and food was immediately set out for them. It also smelled like...what? Cotton candy? YES. It blocked out the smell of Jayce!

"Sit down, all of you," Jayce's rep with the crazy red hair said. The three reps then quietly talked to each other to discuss their plans, all while Jayce, Mari, and Arie sat down. Since Jayce smelled like literal shit, Mari and Arie immediately sat next to each other and had a conversation with their eyes: "Dude, da hell does that guy smell like?" "Yeah, man, I don't think he showers." "Nah, he probably just shitted all over himself."

The reps were weirdly alike. They were all pretty built and tall, and they had this permanent let's-get-down-to-business look. They also had weirdly similar hair. Jayce's rep had deep red hair, Arie's rep had fiery-orange hair, and Mari's rep—who also happened to be the captain of the boat—had blonde hair. It was like they were the fiery trio. What, did they all plan this? Did only Sinnoh reps have fiery-colored hair, or did each rep for each CAMP member have all the same goddamn hair color theme?

That was all Mari could think of as the red-haired rep yapped about CAMP. "When we get there, you have to..." Yadda, yadda, yadda. Mari just stared at her hair the entire time, and—

WHOOOOSHHHH bloop

Suddenly the boat lurched forward so hard, the campers and their pokemon flew against the wall GODDAMN WHAT. Through it all, Mari finally paid attention to what the damn reps had to say: "...for time efficiency, the boat will travel at its maximum speed. We will be landing in Unova in approximately one minute."

ONE MINUTE? WHAT THE FUCK CAN SCIENCE ACTUALLY TRAVEL 2834749823 MILES IN ONE MINUTE ON BOAT??!?

Visions of horizontal terminal velocity and E=mc^2 flashed across Mari's eyes as she felt the pressure of the high speed and lack of seatbelts tickle her skin, whenwaitwhatwasthat.

...Green? Green blurs? dammit Arceus, did she just turn delusional.

But unbeknowst to Mari at the time who was too busy trying not to get crumpled, Arie's Snivy, Darth, had panicked at the sudden boat movement, and had unleashed a shit storm.

Well, the correct terminology was probably leaf storm. But since it was destroying furniture and cutting things, it might as well be called a shit storm.

Everything happened so fast. One razor-sharp leaf cut Changa's arm, and he yelped so hard he let out a powerful ember/half-assed flamethrower. His intentions were understandable; he just wanted to burn the damn leaves to the ground. But this was the wonderful world of pokemon, and that flamethrower made the leaf-shit storm...into a flaming leaf-shit storm.

CHOAS. ABSOLUTE CHAOS.

It was RAINING FIRE, and at this time, Mari was starting to connect the dots. But before her reaction time could fully take in everything, Jayce's Turtwig Pebbles caught one of the flaming leaves.

It was probably pokemon cruelty to see a Turtwig in flames. But when Pebbles jumped up on his trainer's head to cope with the pain and stress... Oh boy, this better be filmed.

Everything was coming together, and Mari could finally see what was happening. There conveniently was a table in front of Mari an Arie that they now hid under with their pokemon, and they watched Jayce for a glorious full ten seconds as he tried to pry his flaming pokemon away from his head, only to fail and just run around as a literal hot head.

And then....

WHOOSOOSOHHHHH bloop

Everything stopped. The boat suddenly took a sharp decline in speed, and everyone except the reps lurched forward again.

"... and that should cover pretty much everything you need to know in CAMP," the rep said, calming taking out the fire extinguisher and spraying Jayce as well as everything else on fire. "Any questions?"

Destruction. Complete. Destruction.
The boat used to look nice inside... Welp, good thing she didn't have to pay for anything.

Grunting, Mari got up, brushed the dirt off her clothes, and immediately looked at Arie next to her. The two of them was magically unharmed, and except for the small cut on Changa, their pokemon were too.

"Did that—" Mari's eyes said.
"—just happen?" Arie's eyes finished.

The both of them looked down at their tired pokemon, then looked back up and grinned while high fiving each other. "Arie, is it?" Mari asked while picking her poor Chimchar up from the fatal cut that left almost no scar.

"Yeah. And you're Mari?" she asked back, doing the same.

The reps told them to unboard the ship, and the two of them walked out together, ignoring the fried Jayce who now smelled like roasted Magikarp.

"Yeah." Mari looked back at Jayce, thought about helping the poor guy out, then saw that the reps were coming to his aid anyways. "I think we'll make a great team."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena