Young Writers Society

Tatarum

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:09 pm
View Likes
Craz says...

Today is the fifth day of the month.

The sun swells upon the wall, steadily chasing its shadows into the throbbing earthly wounds of the caverns and mines, as well as the strange unexplained dips in the ground where it is whispered that things called bombs had made, even before the wall.

But, that's silly.

There is nothing before the wall.

Today is the fifth day of the month.

The sun finally spills over, and the ashen ground begins to heat.

Families wait in their homes, clinging to each other, until they are forced to reluctantly leave each other's grasp at the urgent call of the siren. They soak in each other's features desperately, and the faces of their neighbors, eager to remember their perks, the way that they walk, or how they wipe the dust and salt out of their eyes.

They know that not all of them will see the sun rise with them again.

Because, well, today is the fifth day of the month.

Where are yoU?

You live in the outer ring. There is no grass, maybe a few scraggly shrubs. The dirt is grey, blackened, and the air is clogged with dust. Apartments, houses, and shops crowd together in clusters of buildings that resemble city streets, yet they are surrounded with colorless hills and the sudden and unexplained remnant of rubble, and appear to be huddling together against a wind that does not exist. Paths snake from one cluster to another, and always seem on the verge of disappearing from the uneasy shift of dirt. And, occasionally, the smog of dust and salty air will settle, and the caves will flash their black jagged maws.

Most likely, you work in the caves; more than likely, your whole family does. The caves appear on the surface as if suddenly thrusted there, the earth around them sagging, and unexplained metal bars serving as their teeth. Sometimes a cave will appear without warning - swallowing a whole cluster of scrap, or of homes. Within days the nearest living people are sent down to carve out their secrets.

What is down there, exactly? Well, usually, nothing but underground rubbage, entire buildings that endlessly stretch downwards, and salt crystals, all swallowed by the black sand. Most of the time the emissaries collect any rubbage that isn't damaged and send them to the inner rings. But what they are really looking for lies deep in the salt - things, little sharp pebbles the color of blood, nestled in jagged black rock. The emissaries love them, for some reason, and some people even say that they'll kill if they find someone hiding one. The locals call them Blood Lilies.

Just another folk tale, if you ask me.

What is the fifth of the montH?

The picking is random, some people say.

Others think that they take them on purpose.

And, a select few say that they only take the ones that touch Blood Lilies.

Either way, breaths are held as the trucks rumble past in the dead of night, their flashlights passing fleetingly over the windows, searching for peering eyes. They don't like people watching them. But the more reckless ones do, seething as their neighbors and family are taken away.

They say that they're monsters. They say that they're deformed, have strength far better than any men, eyes that can see anything, and can outrun anyone that tries to escape. They break into houses and drag one, maybe two people out, unconscious by the time they reach the truck. And then they disappear, the only remnant that they were there in the strange burning smell left behind from their vehicles.

And now you hear them coming through your door. *internally barfs at theatrics*

What does this meaN?

You thought this was the Hunger Games? Big noob. <3

Your character doesn't know what they want, why they're taking them, or where they're being taken.

But you do.

Because I'm going to tell you.

These "monsters" are called many things from many different places inside the wall, but the inner city named them abarrents. They were normal people, just as ignorant about what's happening to them as your characters are. They had families, jobs, lives, maybe even someone they loved. But now, they are the ruling family's sword and shield.

Now, to explain what Blood Lilies are. They are the result of a long ago world, a long ago nuclear mass destruction, and time. Just like the abarrents, they are called something else - cerebral stones. When inserted into a specific place in the spine, it amplifies or accelerates (depending on where it's surgically placed) certain parts of the human body and mind. Hence how the abarrents got to how they are now.

Of course, placing a rock that is a result of nuclear reactions in any living thing has its drawbacks. So, hence why your character is being taken. They need to keep up with the quota. After that, your character is shipped off to a boot camp, of sorts.

Let's hope that your character survives it.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender(s):[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[i]Strengths:[/i]

[i]Weaknesses:[/i]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

Spots reserveD

First come first serve ~
1) @Auxiira
2) @SpiritedWolfe
3) @JKHatt
4) @ReisePiecey
5) @AriaAdams
6) @Rydia
7) @Noelle
8) @Megrim
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare