z

Young Writers Society

Long Live the Living

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:35 pm
crossroads says...

A century and some ago, they believed that peace came to stay.
They were wrong.

The seven kingdoms -- Barqarnon, Merillial, Scarthia, Eajra, Talantera, the Plains and Lethe -- are at war again; in the dead of nights, when battlefields fall silent, allegiances are breaking and heirs are drawing their last breaths. Trust isn't an option for those who wish to live, espceially when the danger isn't just coming from the outside, but slowly creeping through all the kingdoms and turning those who are displeased with the rulers against them. The People started as a small group ignored by the powerful, but they won't be ignored anymore.

In the chaos of war stands the City of Nations. Free of disputes and offering an oasis of safety, it allows for development of arts and technology, hosts fairs and tournaments, treats people of all the nations the same. It is said that the City can create new beginnings and put an end to wars. On this day, royals and diplomats from the six kingdoms will meet, thus beginning a ten-day long meeting with one purpose: to bring about peace once more.

But behind the strong, tall walls guarding the paradisal city, peace is still merely an idea. The minds of ambassadors sent to attend the meeting are as sharp as the weapons hidden in their coats, words and actions just as poisonous as the cyanide stored in their perfume bottles. While the battles outside the walls are too far to affect the City, the decisions established at the meeting for peace are what will truly determine the war's outcome.

Ambassadors of the nations, settle in and relax. Visit the circus that just entered the city.
And be prepared -- the meeting is about to begin.

The Seven Kingdoms

~ Barqarnon
Spoiler! :
Set high in cold, dark, snowy mountains and hills, Barqarnon is traditionally considered to be home to dark mages and strange, dangerous beasts. Its history features rulers who put themselves before the people, with strong magic and apetite for dragon hunts, non-human creatures sitting on the throne and probably the highest number of betrayals and killings within any royal family.
For thousands of years, it was the Angroth family who ruled the kingdom. Their line of succession, however, ended when Joaquin Van Aldarean, with help of Marius Angroth (who remains known in history books as the First Sword of the Kingdoms), defeated the king-turned-demon Daerys Angroth and forced him and his allies into exile. Stories say that he, along with his closest advisor, still waits in the legendary and intangible Prison for someone to set them free. But of course, that's most likely just a myth.
Ever since, Barqarnon is ruled by the Van Aldarean family, currently in hands of Isa Van Aldarean and soon expected to be passed over to her grandson, the last remaining member of the Van Aldarean/Angroth bloodline. The queen rules with an iron fist and stone-cold determination, but it is a publicly known fact that her health is slowly deteriorating -- what's less publicly known, however, is that there's barely anything "slow" about it.

Though food and supplies are shipped into Barqarnon, there are local sources of food, such as livestock (lamb), goat milk, berries, rum/ale/wine and, lately, weapons. Local sources of wealth are coal, oil, mineral, and jewel mines in the mountains. Villages spot the mountains and hillsides, the largest of which sits in the shadow of The Crag - the royal fortress. Dragon hunts are no longer legal, especially since some of the royals have made a tradition of keeping dragons as pets instead, but Barqarnon is still more than rumoured to be the place where magic flourishes in the shadows.
Barqarnon's coat of arms remained the same for ages; it is gray and midnight blue, featuring a sword thrust into a heart.

~ Merillial
Spoiler! :
With plains and rivers used for transport, Merillial has always been a prosperous kingdom with enjoyable climate. It makes most of it's wealth from selling magical objects as well as traditional racial objects.
In Merillial, magic is the norm. From a very young age, children of all races are sent to the Royal School of Magic to learn how to use their powers, spells and magical objects. From 10-15, they are taught how to use their skills for a trade as well as how to fight. The students are allowed to choose which trade they are taught.
Merillial's army has units that are formed according to the person's type of magic, and not their race. It also has a special unit of the best students from the School called the Crimson Guard. They are picked for the strength, control and knowledge they have of their magic, as well as their physical capacities. When the country is not at war, they act as the royal family's bodyguards. They wear a black leather over-tunic with a crimson hawk stitched over the heart, white leggings with black stitching, and a crimson shirt with crimson boots. Their rank is stitched on the collar.
In Merillial, racial discrimination is against the law (which is enforced by the army). Anyone found guilty of this crime will be severely punished. Even small children respect this as they are told that they will go to the Prison otherwise. Gender discrimination is also becoming more and more frowned upon, despite the traditionalists being against equal gender rights, especially in the army.
Currently exploring the mix of magic and growing technological means.

The country is run by the royal family - the Meliors who've managed to keep the throne despite all odds for a ridiculously long amount of time;
Their flag is a red background with a black star, and their coat of arms features a black hawk on a crimson background.

~ Eajra
Spoiler! :
A small but wealthy kingdom, covered by golden fields that produce enough food for not only the citizens, but enough to supply the neighboring kingdoms, but due to the extremely high taxes most of the produce is taken by the ambassador and then sold to the other kingdoms - or given to Barqarnon, and the lower classes have trouble growing enough to support themselves. The majority of the citizens are peasants, but a lot of rich merchants live in the cities, along with a few priviledged nobles.

After a long war with Barqarnon the queen at the time had to flee the kingdom and Eajra became a province of Baqarnon, the royal family there apointing an ambassador to oversee the province. The current ambassador is disliked by almost everyone due to the high taxes and policies that only benefit himself and the rich, and the only thing that's preventing a rebellion is the ambassador's army and his indiscriminate way of dealing harsh punishmnets to anyone who's rumored to have critizised him. The citizens therefor live in constant fear of him, and The People's influence among them is steadily increasing.

Their coat of arms looks like two big, golden, pompous lions, one holding a sword and the other holding wheat. The lions are dressed in fancy green robes. The background is red. Their flag has a red background and on it is a green cross with golden edges.

~ Scarthia
Spoiler! :
A small country in the thick woods of the southwest, Scarthia has always been known as the land of arts and inventions. Everyone with a dream knew how to get there - builders and thinkers, magicians and performers, writers and actors, and those in search of new beginnings. A long time ago, after it had been destroyed and forgotten, it was raised from the ashes by queen Aqui Van Aldarean. Even after her death, when the throne was passed to her husband Brekyr Elgan, the kingdom remained almost ideal -- its borders are safe and protected by ancient magic, one giving control over it to the rightful ruler, and the nine temples in the capital city hold libraries and treasuries of generations.
The Cathedral, once home to the royal family, has closed its door to the royals just before the prince set on his journey to the City of Nations, and the woods surrounding the capital, along with creatures made of magic that reside within, has refused to adhere to their orders, with no explanation found thus far. None of that, however, is known outside the circle of the royal family.

~ Lethe
Spoiler! :
Set in the east, across the ocean from the continental part of the world, Lethe has always been famous for keeping away from all the wars and problems of the Continent. Although counted as one of the kingdoms, little is truly known about it outside of its borders, and its people and rulers like it that way.
It's an island kingdom with a diverse nature and generally warm climate, still following the old traditions and basing their culture around the legends of the Prison. Once upon a time, it is said in stories, Lethe used to be home to another country, less physical and less accessible than itself - the Prison, a legendary realm where people and creatures who had commited the worst of crimes were sent to stay for the rest of their lives.
Today, however, there is no sign that the Prison has ever truly existed. For several generations now, following the events no one quite knows the details of, the country is ruled by a branch of the original Angroth family, proudly sticking to their beliefs and practices. Although with a bitterness about their ancestors getting exiled from their own kingdom, and an everlasting desire to return to the mountains of Barqarnon, the royals in Lethe rule fairly and the cuntry prospers. It is separated into smaller provinces, each ruled by a family that reports to the royals. The Angroths rule as a family as well, with the eldest daughter about to take over the crown of their recently deceased mother.
Their coat of arms is a silver dragon curled in the shape of an eye, with an emerald iris in the middle, and it's featured on their flag with a black background.

~ Talantera
Spoiler! :
Talantera reaches along the coast and big rivers are spread across it which make the kingdom perfect for trading with a lot of the other kingdoms. The kingdom has a big navy which is currently being improved and expanded by the new ruler and The People. The people of Talentera are mostly fishermen, sailors and merchants. The soil in the area is quite gravelly and is not fit for cultivating crops so the peoples diets consist predominently of seafood and native plants to the area - many of these plants are used for remedies of different kinds, and the people are known for being healthy and living longer than most.

The kingdom is ruled by a figurehead ruler put on the throne by The People after they overthrew the former king, and they rule from the palace, which is made of glass and marble and a true wonder of the kingdoms.

Talantera is quite technologically advanced, prefering to invest in new ideas rather than treasure and reputations, and any new piece of technology is quickly brought to the kingdom by it's trading routes.

The coat of arms is a finned sea-serpent coiled in a straight line up the middle with an engraving of the marble city across the ocean in the background.

~ The Plains
Spoiler! :
The Plains is a vast and barren landscape, where the ground is frozen more often than not. To survive on the tundra is difficult, but there are a few nomad tribes that have managed to make it their home. They survive by breeding herds of reindeer, which provide them with both furs, horns, milk, meat and everything else they need. To be able to keep their herds together they tame giant snow tigers that they use as means for transportation, and some of the nomads sleep next to their snow tiger to help them keep warm at night. They live in tent-like huts, which are easy to transport just like everything else they own.

The different tribes all have different symbols and colours, as they all have their own leaders. The role of the leader is inherited from father to son or from mother to daughter, depending on the tribe. Each tribe also has a shaman, who acts as a negotiator between people and their many gods, as well as the doctor. The only times the tribes get together is during arranged marriages between two tribes, as well as the annual slaughter.

Ruled by the Council: Representatives from each tribe are elected as members of the Council for five years and come together at the annual slaughter to discuss peace between the tribes and how they'll work together. The Council is advised by the Elders of the tribes who want to do so. Representative Coucil members also attend the sessions, but do not participate so as not to be too partial when they go to the City of Nations.

The Council is mainly focused on regulating the tensions between the tribes that have been caused by the creation of the council. As in they're trying to stop a civil war. They're not hugely interested in the war between the rest of the kingdoms so long as they don't worsen the situation in the Plains.

This Storybook is a reboot of a reboot of an old one. As such, its cast is hand-picked and already acquainted with the way it all works. That said, if you really REALLY want to join and have a great idea, shoot a PM to Aria or post in the DT. It doesn't matter how used you are to Storybooking, but we do expect you to be willing to learn and able to collaborate and compromise a lot.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:33 pm
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Unnamed huldra | In a tent at the circus
I needed to get out, I had to. My whole body felt that almost painful tug towards my forest, over and over again as it called me and asked why I had abandoned it, but I couldn't follow it. The human had told me to stay in this colourful fabric house, and no matter how I tried I could never make it far enough to even touch the wall. It didn't make sense, like I was tethered to the long branch holding the middle of the fabric up, but I wasn't. The only thing I'd ever been bound to was my forest, and it was calling for me, screaming. I screamed too, screamed back and hoped that it would hear me, but the only answer I got was from the other trapped animals and creatures outside the fabric house, screaming back with the same pain that I was feeling, throwing themselves at their cages trying to help me, but their efforts had as little effect as mine.

As the fabric suddenly parted I pulled back, only to pounce at the figure appearing. Maybe if I killed the human the tethers to this house of fabric would disappear.

"Stop," he said calmly, and once again I couldn't continue no matter how I tried, my claws stopping not even an inch from the skin on his neck, and all I could do was growl loudly, something that was immediately echoed by the animals outside. "Come on..." He sounded both tired and amused. "Haven't we been through this before? You should stop trying to attack me, it won't do you any good."

"Let me go!" I hissed, quickly taking step back. It felt strange to talk to humans. They only listened to the words and nothing else, not at all like animals. "I have to go back to my forest. It needs me." I hated having to beg, but I couldn't hurt him, not when he told me not to, and the tug from the forest was only getting stronger and stronger, and increasingly painful.

"Does it? I've been to many forests without any huldras in them, and they survived just fine." He smiled and shrugged. "Besides, I need you as well, you're one of my most interesting treasures. How could I possibly appear before the audience in this marvellous city without you as my star?"

I didn't understand him. Stars were in the sky, and I wasn't one. "My forest is not like those dead things you've travelled through before. Its trees are older and its creatures wiser, and they all have thoughts and feelings. Its life is precious, but you disgusting humans want to cut it down and hunt there because the flavour of the animals is especially good, and the trees 'make the best timber'." I had killed the human who had said those words, and I would kill this human as well, in one way or another, so that I could finally return.

He frowned. "Where did you hear that? No, no... I don't want to cut down or hunt anything in any forest. You should learn, not all humans are the same."

"I'm not talking about you. You're not even close to my forest!" Humans and their words. Had I used them wrong? "I mean everyone else who is close. Do you know how many I've had to kill to defend it? How many already tried to cut it down or hunt my friends?" I held up my arm to show him a scar from where human had tried to cut down a tree, and another on my shoulder from where a human had shot a deer with an arrow. It wasn't just my forest that the humans hurt, it was me as well.

"Who did..." He turned silent, his eyes locking on my shoulder. "Do you get hurt when someone tries to do things in your forest?" His eyes turned to meet mine. "And aren't you a bit young to have killed that many people already? Who did it before you?"

Young? I had watched my forest grow for a very long time, but I had never bothered measuring the time like humans do. Maybe if I had been human I would've looked like a young one. "It has been my forest since the trees were far shorter than they are now. It needed me, so I appeared, and I've protected it and myself since then. When I fail to do my job I'm punished, because it made me and it sustains me." Why wouldn't he understand? I needed to be in my forest or both it and I would die. "I need to return to it. It's calling me, all the time. It /hurts/."

"But..." He wrapped his arms around himself. "You'll learn to live without it. You can't go back, so shouldn't the forest feel it? It could just... make and sustain a new one to protect it."

"No!" This stupid human wouldn't understand. He couldn't feel it, and even if he did he didn't care. The was selfish just like the rest of them. "It'll die without me and then I'll die too. It can't just make a new one. We're bound to each other and that bond can't be broken!" I growled and flashed my teeth at him, but he knew as well as me that I couldn't hurt him. "Let me go! If you keep me here I'll just die anyway. Either way you won't have your 'treasure' for much longer."

"I can't let you." His voice was colder now. "You will stay here and learn to deal with it, and behave as I tell you to. You'll come out to the stage with me tomorrow when I tell you, and you won't attack anyone unless I tell you, and you'll stop trying to guilt me into sending you away. You don't even see how... valuable you are. How interesting. I can't just let you leave."

Deal with it? I wanted to say something more, to tell him how stupid and selfish he was and how I wish I'd be able to laugh at him when my forest and I died and he lost me anyway, but the words refused to leave my mouth, so I just screamed again, screamed and screamed and made all animals around me scream as well and rattle their cages, hoping that maybe if I kept the sound up he'd eventually have to let me go.

He rubbed his temples, staying silent for a few seconds before speaking again. "Alright, enough. Stop the screaming, it's childish and unnecessary and won't make me change my mind." He sighed. "I'm trying to be nice to you. I'm trying to have calm conversations with you, to learn from you and about you... but if you're not capable of using your voice for anything other than screaming and trying to manipulate me, then I will take it away completely. Understood? No more screaming."

My mouth closed without me telling it to, and as I went silent so did the animals around me, and for a moment I felt like I might faint. There was nothing I could do now. I couldn't make him understand what I was feeling, I couldn't force him to let me go in any way. I was dead. My forest would die, and so would I, so if there wasn't for the time separating now and then, I'd be dead. I was already dead. I couldn't stand looking at the cruel human any more, so I sat down and curled up, wrapping my tail around me as best I could. I couldn't do anything now, nothing but wait to die.

Daario Orik | Outside the City of Nations
The journey had gone exactly as planned, as I'd turned into a mouse to hide myself first in a ship going from Talantera to Eajra, and then in a hay cart that had taken me right to the outskirts of the city. I'd kept the same form until I'd reached the room in an inn that had already been rented for me, just to be sure the whole journey was as inconspicuous as possible. The People didn't like attracting attention to itself, not yet at least, and I followed their orders as best I could. I wouldn't be living in a room in the palace either, since I - like most others - was just another person without privileges that I hadn't deserved. For now the small room at the inn would serve me just as well as any luxurious room.

The planks in the floor outside creaked, and was soon followed by a knock on the door and the sound of paper slipping in under it. Further orders? Already? I frowned slightly as I picked it up. I wasn't expecting it already, but it was best to be prepared in good time. It wasn't signed or sealed, a tell-tale sign that it was from them. Written messages were never carried far enough to be stolen, so a messenger had probably taken a similar journey to me at almost the same time.

There is a circus in town that puts on grand shows. Help make it even grander in three days, the rest will be dealt with.

I wasn't sure what exactly they wanted to do, but that was for the best. The less I knew the smaller the chance would be that I could share something that would spoil their plans. What I got from it was that I was to 'cause a distraction, and I would, but at the moment I had more urgent things to take care of.

The streets of the city was just as busy as the last time I'd visited, probably even more so with the royalty and representatives on the way. Decorations were still being put up and market stands were getting the last preparations before tomorrow, even though it was late. I had prepared for a long time as well, learned everything I could about the people attending the meetings and their countries through what our members in their castles and kingdoms would tell us, and even some studying some of them up close - always in another form, of course. I was well aware how important my mission was, and that my every moved would be watched closely, just as closely as I would be watching everyone else. The most important part of this mission was to make The Peoples' intentions known, and make sure they all knew what would happen if they kept ruling their people unjustly. The other, less important part, was to watch them and learn as much as possible about their relations to each other. The third part, the part that I'd only focus on if an opportunity showed itself, was to try to make those with sympathies for our cause take the next step and officially join us.

As I reached the gates of the palace I was stopped by two guards, and I was well aware that there were archers on the roof and walls.

"Stop right there. Only official representatives of the kingdoms are allowed in."

I smiled gently and held out the rolled up signed documents that had been waiting for me in the mattress in my room. "I'm the representative of The People." One of the guards looked confused, and I guessed he didn't know what The People was, but the other one quickly checked my papers and nodded.

"Why are you here so early, sir?" he asked as he gave the papers back, but it was clear from his expression that he already had every intention of letting me in.

"I want to learn the layout of this place before tomorrow, so that I don't get lost or embarrass The People in any other way," I answered honestly, and this time the guard smiled back at me. Unlike the others coming I didn't have an escort or a guide to make sure I was at the right place at the right time. "And I'm not a 'sir' or anything else, so please don't treat me as if I'm anything more than I actually am."

He nodded and gave the sign, immediately followed by the gates opening and letting me through, and as soon as I was sure no one was watching I turned into a moth, which leaved me to explore the corridors and rooms as I wanted.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

117 Reviews

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:54 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Rhys Van Aldarean
Prince of Barqarnon | The Crag

I sat on the wall surrounding my terrace, watching the sunrise. The snow had melted on and around the castle, but the mountains it overlooked were still white; soon enough, in maybe just a few minutes, I knew they would shine too brightly for me to keep looking at them. I turned my eyes to the villages in the bottom of the mountains instead. They were still quiet and peaceful, without a single light coming from the small houses, only visible to me because I knew where they were. For a moment, I tried to imagine myself as a visitor, and I smirked at the thought; all I could probably see, if I'd even be awake this early and if I was able to sit out without freezing, would be darkness in places of those villages, maybe a silhouette or two of a mass that could be anything.
I sighed. Was that what the City of Nations will feel for me? A shapeless, unfamiliar lump of darkness that I can't and don't dare to explore?

"Your Grace?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before turning. The guard was looking at me with something in between of worry and fear in his eyes. I suppressed a frown. I knew his name and story, just as I knew them for all the other people in the castle, and I never said or did anything to earn that kind of look - but a Barqarnian prince wasn't supposed to be annoyed by fear and worry. So I conjured up a small proud smile instead.
"Yes?"

"Her Majesty is calling for you," he said and took a step back as I took a step forward.

"Very well," I muttered. "You can go now."

There was something worthy of legends in the way he scurried off. I ran my fingers through my hair and stretched, giving another glance to the mountains before turning my back on them and walking back into the castle.

My grandmother waited for me in the throne room, in the company of our advisor and a handful of guards. She stood by one of the windows, the tallest one on the eastern side, looking at the same sunrise I had been observing earlier. Her appearance -- everything from the rich dress and coat in the family's colours to the crown on her carefully arranged curls -- gave no sign whatsoever of her health being anything less than perfect. Still, I knew, and I could tell; by the fabric of the coat, thicker than necessary, the makeup covering the paleness of her face, the way she held her hands, as if stopping them from shaking. I looked away and turned my eyes to the floor as another guard announced my presence.

"You should've been dressed for the journey by now."

I looked up to see her giving me a critical look, and shrugged. "I am dressed."

She sighed, but seemed less than interested in continuing the discussion, gesturing for me to come closer instead. "I am sending you to a very important mission, and one that I deeply regret I can't attend myself. It's important for you to understand how serious it is." She grabbed my chin gently to make sure I'm looking at her. "You do understand it, yes?"

"Of course I do." With a frown, I took a step back again, biting my tongue not to say everything that was on my mind. Knowing she was worried was touching -- although I couldn't quite tell with certainty was she more worried for me or for the throne -- but I wasn't in the mood to be treated like a child. I wanted to tell her that I've lost my parents and siblings to this war, and that I could think of only so many things I wanted as much as the war to end, but I could tell exactly how that conversation would end.

Laurus cleared his throat. "Do not worry, my queen. I've had his clothes prepared for him and his bags packed, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will perform excelently at the meeting.." He glanced at me quickly, with a small, calm smile. "And even if any mistakes are made, I'll quickly correct them."

She nodded slowly, giving him one of her rare smiles of approval before looking at me again. "Good. I cannot stress the importance of this meeting enough, or the dangers of it. Twenty men as personal guard should be enough to keep you safe inside the walls of the City."

I raised an eyebrow. "I don't think Raye can carry twenty armed men, the luggage and the two of us."

There was only one way to interpret the look she gave me this time. You are not flying there.

"It's faster and safer," I argued, already knowing that I lost the argument. "The guards could travel by land and meet us there later, and--"

"Speaking of meeting people," she cut, turning to the throne, "you two aren't the only ones going to the meeting." Laurus looked slightly uneasy at her words. A girl stepped out from behind the throne, eyes cast down at the floor. Aside from the fact that she got to lounge in the throne room and listen to our conversation, there was nothing on her that could suggest why she'd have to accompany us on our journey. "I believe her skills will be of great help on your mission."

I gave the girl a more careful look. She was young, but maybe a few years older than me, not dressed like royalty but still looking presentable -- I could've sworn I'd seen her around the castle before, but stopping young ladies who wandered around the castle was never high on my list of interests.
"And what might those skills be?" I asked, keeping my eyes on her.

She glanced back at my grandmother before answering, "I can see lies when people speak them."

A smile sneaked to my lips before I got time to think of proper reaction. "Really..? Great help indeed, I can imagine." I turned to look at my grandmother again. "I know how dangerous it might be. I know that people will lie to each other and try to trick each other, and that there will be people whose intentions will have nothing to do with bringing peace. I'm taking it seriously, I promise." I shrugged and glanced at the girl again. "I'm sure she can confirm it if you don't trust me."

My grandmother shook her head slightly and stayed silent for a long time, before stepping closer and shortly brushing her lips against my forehead.
"Just come back," she said, "with what's best for our home and our family."

Nivarra Angroth
Princess of Lethe | sailing across the ocean

Victory was approaching the Talanterian port, and the crew got restless. I stood by the main mast, with my coat wrapped around me as protection against the cold wind. The land was still far, but visible; a thin line of not-quite-green, there in the distance. I wondered how many people would be there, how many armed guards just waiting for us to make a wrong move.

"We should've brought an army," Navi muttered next to me. He was leaning against the mast, looking like he'd been there for hours, but I haven't heard him coming.

"We are here to attend a meeting for peace," I reminded him, but his expression didn't lighten up.

"There's no such thing as peace." He gestured at the land we were sailing towards. "If there were no consequences, they would slit our throats the moment we'd set foot on their land. Yours first, I imagine."

"Luckily then, there would be consequences."

He reached to his belt and took one of his knives from its sheath. He had seven of them on his belt, I knew without looking; from the longest one on the right to the shortest on the left, all thin and perfectly sharp. One for the ruler of each kingdom, he'd muse sometimes, and one to keep by his side to chase away boredom.
"Once we get inside the walls of the City of Nations," he said, turning the knife in his hand, "consequences won't matter that much. I'm willing to bet each country has an army just waiting for their ambassador to get rid of the others."

"So do we," I said gently, getting closer to him and leaning my head on his shoulder. "But we shouldn't make a move until we're certain that we can afford it."

A smile stretched his lips when he turned to look at me. "Don't worry, Niv." He leaned the tip of the blade against my cheek, making me turn my face up to look at him. "Allegiance is what we want first, and I will make sure to be the most charming of all the unmarried ambassadors there."

I smiled back at him. "Just make sure to charm the right unmarried lady."

"Mm... just leave it to me, I happen to be quite good at charming the right ladies." His blade travelled up to my lips. "Perhaps almost as good as you are at charming the right lords."

"Then," I said carefully, barely parting my lips as his knife didn't move, "all we need to do is what we do so well, and we will have everything we desire."

Navi turned serious, shortly brought the blade to his lips and then placed it back against mine. "Here's to ruling next to each other, and taking back what belongs to us."

~

The men guarding the Talanterian port were just a few dozens short of deserving to be called an army. They requested us to put aside all our weapons as they led us to the person in charge, a man of about our father's age who looked like he'd never smiled in his life, with gray moustache covering half of his face.

"I am Nivarra Angroth," I said as he asked about our identities, "crown princess of Lethe and daughter of its king. My brother and I, along with our suite, have the right of passage to the City of Nations."

Navi stood behind me. I could feel his annoyance by being held in someone else's control, burning stronger with every minute we spent talking to the guard. I knew him well enough to be sure that keeping his hands relaxed by his sides took him some effort; reaching for his knives, even if they weren't there at the moment, wouldn't be the smartest move to make, and he knew that just as well as I did. When the guard finally let us reclaim our weapons and proceed to the carriages that would take us on, I took Navi's hand and squeezed it comfortingly. He responded in the same way; the fingers of his shadow in front of us, however, curled around the handle of a knife instead.

"Did you see his face when you told him who we were?" He asked the moment the carriage door closed behind us. I said nothing. "He looked at you like he thought you weren't worthy of your name, Niv."

"You know why he acted that way," I said calmly, "they don't care for titles and family names, and they don't consider anyone worthy of them just by being born into them." I allowed myself a slight shrug, meeting his eyes. He didn't look calmed down by my words. "They let us through, and that's what matters."

He kept his eyes on mine, staying silent for a while. I knew the expression on his face; I knew all of his expressions, even the ones meant to hide all the others. I had expected to see it sooner or later during our trip, but a part of me nonetheless hoped that he'd be excited enough to stay cheerful the whole way.
"Come here," he said quietly, taking a knife from his belt and poking the seat next to him.

"Navi--"

"Come here." His eyes followed me as I got up and moved to his side. "Give me your hand."

I adhered without protest, but pulled it back when his knife touched the skin on my palm. His fingers wrapped around my wrist.
"I can't keep it hidden if you do something there," I said, forcing my arm to relax. For a moment, as he kept his fingers tightly gripping my wrist, I knew he considered doing it anyway -- or perhaps for that specific reason -- but it wasn't my behaviour that had gotten him upset, and in his book that meant that I haven't deserved it yet.
With a slight sigh, he let go of my wrist and rolled up my sleeve instead, giving me a short glance as he touched my forearm with the tip of the blade. I closed my eyes, trying to keep myself relaxed and silent. Scars -- mostly thin and parallel with each other -- were already visible on my skin, the remains of some already forgotten childhood fights. He pressed the blade deeper this time, cutting over them, and took his time. I clenched my teeth after the first few lines, and then buried my face in his shoulder to keep myself silent. He didn't speak until he finished, muttering a spell that cleaned the blood from his knife and clothes before talking to me. The lines on my forearm made letters, spelling the words 'my queen'.

"It matters," he said, putting the knife away. His fingers were much colder than my arm now, as he touched it and let the cuts slowly close. I watched as they turned to new scars, still red against the paleness of my skin. "You will have the throne soon enough, and it will be rightfully yours." He wrapped his fingers around my wrist again, much gentler this time, and brushed his lips against the back of my hand. "And anyone who tries to deny you that right will burn."
- they/them -

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:03 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Katrin of the Värtoe Tribe | on the road from the Plains

I sighed contentedly at the rocking gait that Dåvre had taken and settled comfortably on her back. I'd found that it was rather interesting watching people's reactions to her and Baajkoe depending on where we were. In the tribes, they were an extension of ourselves, just a part of us the Gods had put into animal form, and almost as soon as we left, they were pets, tamed animals, creatures. I shuddered and buried my fists into Dåvre's fur, wrapping my arms around her neck. I'd noticed she'd started to moult recently, as we came further south, and had been infrequently brushing her so that she didn't look untidy when she arrived.

I pulled out a small clockwork bird from my pouch and started to tinker with it. It was something I wanted to make for a little stall I had decided to make. Next to me, Askr sighed.

"You could at least sit up and try to act like you belong to the Council."

"I could indeed." I responded in the mild tone I knew riled him up. "But then I wouldn't be comfy."

There was a moment of silence. "We need to talk about what stance we're going to take at the meeting." I found it amusing when he decided to change the subject. It always meant I was getting to him.

"Please don't bring your fight to us, disinterested in war, we have our own problems. End of talk." I rolled over and closed my eyes. "Just shush. You try and say too much."

"You'll be covered in fur."

"I brushed her this morning."

I felt his hand on my shoulder, and grabbed it, twisting so that I was half-sitting and he was unstable. "Try and I'll throw you, Askr. You know I will. Don't want to get dirty now."

He glared at me for a long moment before letting go, turning away from me.

"Oh, come now, don't sulk. You're a grown man." I chastised, barely able to keep the grin from my face. It was a fun pastime, winding him up like this. It was like having an older brother. It was how I'd always seen him.

"And you're not a child, but you act like one." he snapped, getting Baajkoe to step ahead of us. I rolled my eyes. "We're almost at the City anyway."

"Oh, that's nice." I pulled myself forwards so I was hanging over Dåvre's neck, almost sitting up. "We're arriving a little early aren't we?"

"We can look around the City if it bothers you that much."

"Punctuality doesn't really bother me." Dåvre jerked her head up so I slid down her neck and was actually sat on her back. I puffed at her gently as Askr raised an eyebrow at me triumphantly. I scratched Dåvre's ear in response. I didn't mind when she got me to do it. I stretched, sighing as my spine popped a little.

I turned the the bird over in my hands, peering inside to check that traveling hadn't moved any of the cogs inside. It was all nice and well being able to make them move without any power source, but if the mechanism wasn't in the right place, then there wasn't any point.

I glanced up as we passed two boys with green hair, one carrying a box on his back. The older one looked up at us as we approached and smiled warmly, tipping his hat with one hand. "Good morning." The younger one who was following close behind him shone up when he saw the tigers, grinning from ear to ear, looking like he could barely resist running over. "Fancy horses you have there," the older continued cheerfully. "If you give us a lift I'll gladly pay for it with music." He tapped the box on his back.

I smiled in return as Dåvre stopped. "No need to pay. We'll happily give you a ride. It could be a little difficult playing whilst riding them anyway." I couldn't refuse children, even if they weren't truly to be called as such.

"We'll? Them?" Askr whispered at me. I raised an eyebrow at him, challenging him to say no. He affected his genial smile and flashed it at the boys. "Of course."

The younger boy still beamed at our tigers excitedly. I gave a little chuckle. Such reactions always delighted me. "Do you want to stroke Dåvre? She quite likes it."

He nodded eagerly and glanced up at the older one who gave him a slight nod which resulted in an ever broader smile as he hurried over to pet Dåvre. "She's so soft. What is she? I've never seen something like this before." It was quite obvious that he was the curious type.

"One of those bear-tigers from the Plains, if I'm not mistaken?" the older one answered, and then walked over to me and held out a hand. "My name's Andion, and this here is my little brother, Eron. Nice to meet you." He seemed just as happy as his brother, albeit calmer.

"Katrin of the Värtoe tribe. Nice to meet you too." I shook his hand. "And it's almost that. She's my snow-tiger. But Dåvre means bear." I ran my fingers through her fur, shaking away the strands of down that stuck to me as I did so. "I was a strange child when I named her."

Askr coughed behind us. I turned to glare at him. "Do you have something to say? Or maybe you'd like me to clear your throat for you?"

He raised an eyebrow and slid off of Baajkoe. "Not at all." he turned to the elder boy and shook his hand too. "Askr. And he's Baajkoe." I fiddled with a strand of Dåvre's fur as he talked. "It would be better if you came with me and Eron went with Katrin. Her tiger doesn't take much weight."

Andion nodded and grinned again. "I think I'll write a song about this. It's not every day one gets to ride a snow-tiger." He turned to look at Eron, who was a little more than a head shorter than him. "Do you need some help up?"

"Nah, you'll just slow me down," he said eagerly and quickly climbed up in front of me before I could say anything, while Andion waited for Askr to tell him where to sit.

"Ride behind me. It's easier." The boy nodded then clambered up behind him. Askr looked vaguely disgruntled at having to have a passenger, but didn't show it, like usual.

We set off again, very slightly slower. It was nice having other travel companions than Askr. He was a grumpy sod sometimes. Having someone who talked, even as much as Eron did was better than that. I answered his endless questions about the Plains and the tribes and everything with a smile whilst Andion half-listened to our conversation, staring up at the sky.

After a little while, I took the bird back out of my pouch and started to tinker with it as I talked, and I suspected that if Eron's jaw hadn't been attached to his head it'd would've landed on the ground, and his eyes went wide as he looked at it. "Wha.. Can I.." He got so excited he couldn't finish his sentence.

"Eron, calm down," his brother mused and then looked at me, still with a somewhat dreamy expression. "He really likes anything and everything mechanical. Nearly got us thrown off a train once when he started playing with the coupling."

"Can I hold it? I won't break it, I swear!"

I couldn't hold back a laugh. "Of course you can. I make them to be played with anyway."

I handed it to him, giving it a little pulse of life as I did so. As it landed in Eron's palm, it opened its wings and twisted its head slightly. I grinned as his eyes widened to saucers. The bird flapped its wings twice, then hopped and took off, fluttering around his hand once or twice before settling back down. He turned it over carefully in his hands before glancing at me.

"How..."

I wiggled my fingers at him with a quick smile. "Magic."

"Magic? But.." He turned the bird in his hands again, trying to look through the seams of the metal to get a look at the cogs, looking slightly disapointed. "It doesn't fly on its own? Isn't there a key to wind it up with?"

"It could fly like that, if I made it that way. But I dislike external components. Children always lose them, and I'm not necessarily in their tribe to make them a new one. Here." I pressed down slightly on the flank of the bird and a small panel opened. "If you want it, then I can change it to have a key."

He gawked at me. "I can have it?"

"Of course." I smiled at him. "It's not like I can't make another one."

"Oooh, so cool!"

"You better not pick it apart this time," Andion said in what was probably supposed to be a warning tone, but he sounded mostly amused.

"Oh, I promise I won't! And even if I do I'll be able to put it back together, 'cause I'm going to be an engineer." He looked through his pockets and took out a small, worn ball out of metal. "And I know how to fix the issue with losing keys. Look." He shook the ball violently and then held it in his palm, as it started rolling around on its own. "You wind it up by shaking it. It's cool too, right?" He looked up at me expectantly.

"Very." I watched it roll around his palm for a few seconds. "May I?" I took the ball from his palm and turned it over, trying to work out how it worked. The burnished metal was well taken care of and the jointing was well done. I couldn't see inside to get a grasp of the mechanics of it. "How does it work?

"I.. I don't know exactly. I don't want to take it apart in case I can't put it back together, but I will when I start engineering school.. But if you listen to it it sounds kind of like there's a small marble or something inside that moves, and it klicks as well, like when you lock a spring."

"So there's a ball that moves a cog that winds a spring... I could try and recreate it. Not on the bird at first, that might be a little small for a first try but maybe a..." I trailed off into an indiscernible mumble, before pulling out a notebook and starting to sketch a few ideas. "You should visit us while we're at the City." I told Eron, not looking up from the notebook. "You could help me work this out if you want to."

He grinned, and glanced at his brother who was looking up at the sky again. "As long as you're helping me out during the days, alright?"

Eron nodded and turned back to me, talking quickly. "Where in the City are you? We'll be around the market, 'cause Andi will be playing. Oh, can I be like an apprentice? I want to be the apprentice of a mechanic or an engineer, but you're bascially that, right?"

"I'm supposedly a diplomat, but I do this most of the year round, so you could probably say I'm that, yes." I smiled at him. I didn't necessarily want kids, but if I did, I'd like them to be like this. "You can be an apprentice if you want, but we're only there for as long as the meetings are going on. We'll be at the castle, but castles are boring, so I plan to spend as little time there as possible." I glanced across at Askr who hadn't said a word, but was watching me with thin lips. He probably found me ridiculously naive, but this boy had a heart of gold. Or maybe copper. Either way, I trusted them.

Andion seemed to finally snap out of his daydream properly. "You're both going to the meeting? Meaning you're both members of that council of yours?" He seemed surprised, but neither positively or negatively so.

"I get to go to the castle?" Eron didn't seem to care much about politics, and Andion just shook his head a bit at him.

"Maybe it'll be better for you to meet at the room in the inn we're renting, if you find castles boring? I'll be gone during the bigger parts of the day anyway."

"I don't mi-"

"Yes, that might be better." Askr cut before I could finish my sentence. I glared at him. He had no reason to treat them any differently, and yet it felt like he was putting them back in a place, somewhere below us.

"I don't mind where I meet you." I continued. "And, yes, we belong to the Council, but it doesn't make us any different from other tribesmen. It's an honour, not a privilege." I felt like reminding Askr that every time he put on airs. We were all the same. "Anyone can be elected, and belonging to the Council doesn't dispense them from playing their part in the tribe."

"I see. Sounds like a good way to do it." When Askr looked away he gestured at him and scowled, mimicking his expression, and then raised an eyebrow as if to ask what was up with his mood, and Eron giggled. "I kind of wish other kingdoms did that," he continued in a serious tone before Askr got suspicious.

"It would be nice. But some people aren't entirely happy with it." I jerked my head at Askr and rolled my eyes. "Bringing the tribes together has been hard though. Think of it as bringing two of the kingdoms together. They've got old rivalries, and they have no desire for their daughters to go and marry another tribe's sons when just a few decades ago, they avoided each other like the plague. Some think we should go back to before, others think we need more power to bring them together." I wiggled my eyebrows at Askr. Other people might be blind to what he wanted, but I had no illusions. He wanted power to belong to him.

"Mm.. But still, it's gotta be better than having a king or queen sending untrained peasants to war as canon fodder because they're too immature to get along with the neighbour king or queen." A bitternes had creeped into his voice, and it was quite clear that war had affected his family. Eron was busying himself with playing with the mechanical bird and trying to figure out how it worked.

"Yes," I replied softly. "It probably is." I watched Askr, trying to make out whether he was listening or not. This was what ruling brought - children without parents, who were already bitter this young. "There's enough death amongst those who know how to fight, without having people who don't die too. I want nothing more than for the wars to stop. And I don't really see a way of that happening when there are monarchs at the head of a kingdom."

He seemed to hesitate for a second before asking: "Have you heard of The People?"

I hesitated before shaking my head. It seemed familiar, but I couldn't be certain. "Who are they?"

"A quickly growing group that wants to be rid of monarchs and kingdoms all together, and train everyone so they can take care of themselves. It's almost impossible to go anywhere without encountering a member or two." He glanced at Askr, like he wasn't sure he should be saying any of this. "The rebellion in Talantera, they caused that, and the new ruler is apparently nothing but a figurehead for them.. And I don't think there's anyone that doubts that the people there have it a lot better now." He shrugged. "But then again, it could just be a bunch of rumours."

I frowned thoughtfully. I certainly had heard of the events in Talantera, but hadn't really suspected anything else behind it. And Andion, though he might try and act like he'd only heard rumours, he was probably one of them. I glanced at him, watching me carefully. Definitely one of them. Or at least he knew someone who was, which with these things, was like being part of it.

Glancing at Askr, I knew he'd been listening. It was probably not wise to talk about it in front of him, he'd probably bring it up at the meeting if he knew more, however I was interested. My parents had been with the push for a Council, and I didn't feel it right that one person should have so much power over others, to the point of owning their lives.

"It sounds like they've got interesting ideas and the power to back them up. That's normally a good point to start at. If they're not just rumours, and they have Talantera, then maybe there'll be someone at the meetings."

"Maybe.." He didn't look like he had thought about it. "It'd be the first time they did something so.. Official. But I hope they do have someone there. They're one of the few things commoners have to hope for thes..."

"Hey, what does that spring there do? Is it for the wings?" Eron interrupted, sounding like he had had enough talk about politics for one day.

I glanced at his hands. "Yes, and once the movement's started, it only stops when my magic does. There's another one for the beak right at the front there. I was going to put in a soundbox, but I couldn't find one that was small enough and played birdsong. People don't seem to want birdsong on a soundbox."

Andion looked up at the sky again, looking a bit less carefree this time, as Eron started talking again. "Maybe we can find one in the City? Last time we were there they had a bunch of cool soundboxes and machines and all kinds of trinkets. I'm sure we could find one.. Oh, or make one ourselves?"

"That sounds like a good plan for a trip around the market." I smiled.

"And they also have these reeeeeally good apple buns. They're covered in sugar and.."

"Very expensive," Andion interrupted. "Aren't you saving up for engineering school?"

"I can afford one bun," he said with a pout and then looked at me with a proud grin. "I saved up extra money for it."

"Well, that's very impressive." I saved the thought away, planning to treat him to one. "And they do sound delicious. Do you make your money playing and singing?" I gestured to the box on Andion's back.

Eron's smile disappeared for a moment, and Andion quickly filled in for him. "I play and sing. Eron used to play the violin but then he put his hand between two big cogs, and you can imagine how that went. So now I'm a one-man band. Eron's just there to look cute and hungry and make old ladies give us a bit more money than they usually would."

It felt like they weren't telling the full truth, but then they had no reason to do so. "Well that's a better way than some." I glanced at Askr, sighing when he rolled his eyes. He always saw bad in people. "I should come and listen to you one day."

Andion nodded, though it seemed somewhat reluctant. "Yes, you should.. Or I could just play something when you and Eron are.. Doing whatever it is cogheads do."

"Tinkering. It's a nice word." I nodded. "Whenever you like. I'm sure it'll be nicer than listening to bureaucrats and monarchs droning on."

Andion chuckled, both of them seeming to relax again. "That's true. I'll do my best then."
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

117 Reviews

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Navi Angroth
Prince of Lethe | The Crimson Palace, City of Nations

The thieving little brat brought the dragon with him, and had the beast land in the courtyard just below my balcony. I watched as the City's guards rushed towards it and tied a thin piece of silver string around one of its horns. I knew that magic; it was a casual, but strong restraint, an insurance that the dragon wouldn't fly or burn anything, and it was only to be removed once its master arrived and gave the order.
I smirked to myself. Stupid, so stupid, to send a pet of such power alone ahead and let it get turned into a helpless prisoner. I tapped my fingers on the shadow that a tower was casting over my balcony, and felt it twirl around my hand. A second later, I was holding a thin arrow made of darkness itself. I let it hover over my palm for a moment, until its tip turned perfectly sharp and locked on its target, and then I let it fly.
Much to my dismay, the arrow only lasted the shortest of distances; barely a heartbeat after it took off, it dispersed into thin air, undeniably destroyed by some protective spell guarding the courtyard. It wasn't hard to guess that any other magic performed there would get the same treatment. I noted it as something to keep in mind -- if I wanted to kill something or someone, I'd have to go with non-magical weapons.

I sighed, and stepped back inside. My room was big, but smaller than the one at home; a thick, dark red carpet covered the floor, and tapestries in our family's colours hung on the walls. Aside from a large fireplace across the room from the bed, nothing about the room was especially impressive.
My sister and I occupied the top floor of the Crimson Palace, with our guards and maids on the lower floors. For this occasion, just as always when royals of more than one kingdom would reside in the City of Nations at the same time, each of the six residences within the innermost wall of the city hosted one family or ambassador. From my balcony, I could see my sister's -- with large black and silver flags hanging from and behind it, the emerald irises of the dragons seemingly looking around as the wind tugged at them -- and, across the courtyard, the black hawk of the Meliors and the ridiculous Eajran lions. Barqarnon's, Scarthian and Talanterian rulers, I assumed, were placed in the three nearly identical towers on the other side of the Crimson Palace, thus being the closest to the gardens and the furthest to the old Academy building, now used as the meeting place for all events of this sort. From where I was standing, especially if I leaned a bit to the right, I could see its many windows and small towers, and all of our banners and flags gently moving in the wind.

A knock on the door tore my attention from architecture. I turned and called for whomever it was to enter, my hand automatically reaching for my knives. A guard carefully walked in, wearing a black tunic with the City's green and turquoise emblem over guard's armour. With a quick but careful look, I made sure that his sword was safe and untouched by his side, and only then allowed myself to relax.
I have to tell them not to send anyone apart from our personal guards this close.

"Sir," he said, and I frowned at the word. My prince was something I was far more used to, even though I knew that my sister would say I needed to adapt to the fact that I wasn't the only prince here.
"What?"
"If you would, sir, the City of Nations welcomes you with open arms. As our guest, you are invited to join your sister and the others who've arrived so far, for dinner in the great--"
I don't care."What did my sister say to that?"
He licked his lips. "The... the princess is already there, my lord."
I stayed silent for a moment. My lord wasn't quite the right title either, but it would do; more importantly, what was Nivarra thinking, going anywhere without telling me about it? My fingers gripped the belt with my knives again.
"Well then," I said finally, "take me there."
- they/them -

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates