z

Young Writers Society

It's Super Being Super

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:16 pm
Rydia says...

Claims - Aiming for somewhere around twelve active participants before I close this. That means people who've made at least one post. Alternatively, fifteen total participants and if all fifteen end up being active, that wouldn't be an issue :)

1. Kyra (Rydia) - weather manipulation
2. Shinji Nakano (Lumi) - fire manipulation
3. Kyle Ayers (Auxiira) - ice manipulation
4. Darby Evans (Elinor Brynn) - electricity
5. Drew Whitewood (Lylas) - earth manipulation; plants/nature string
6. Viola Windom (SharraeWilson) - telekinetic; telekinesis, shield and x-ray vision
7. Elliott Jesdale (thelostone) - human transformation; people into living dolls
7. Tortwag
8. Nalia (ReisePiecey) - nightmare manipulation/ dream walking
9. Murphy Graves (kayfortnight) - healing
10. SSgt Jean du Plessis (TheWanderingWizard) - teleportation/ telefragging
11. Jasper Byrd (IronSpark) - illusions/ conjuration
12. Gerald Thompson (15253) - inanimate matter manipulation
13. Alex Frazier (Verser) - demonic physiology
14. Ynisse Wytrine (CorruptedRoseJen) - glass generation/ manipulation
15. chibibo

In a world not unlike our own...

Five weeks ago a great big storm, the likes of which had never been seen before, touched down in a little place called the United Kingdom. The clouds were dark purple and green lightning streaked from the sky. Nobody knows where it came from or the full scope of the damage it might have done.

Hundreds of people who were at the epicenter of the blast were killed by an unfamiliar kind of radiation. The further from the source they were, the slower they died but the next day more people got sick and more the day after and the day after that. Whole cities were wiped out.

The United Kingdom was put into lock down with no planes or ships entering or leaving the island and members of the army and law enforcement were stationed in every town to try and hold the peace.

By the second week, less people were dying and a lesser level of the radiation was filling the hospitals up with sick people. The wounded ranged from very serious to minor radiation burns on their skin but the wounded all shared one thing in common: not long after catching the radiation sickness, they caught something else as well. A superpower.

It manifested differently in different people but panic gradually changed to amazement and then back to panic as the people realised their new powers were out of their control. The government leaped to manage the situation and to impose restrictions on these new super humans until they could work out what they were going to do. Buildings were designated as detention centers and as the sick people became well enough to leave the hospitals, they were taken to one of these centers where they would be taught how to control their powers and how to limit the use of them.

They were told the program would be for three weeks and then they could go home, so long as they showed a proper ability to control their powers.

The Story

There will be two groups of characters in this storybook. The first are those who have had their powers for two or three weeks and left the hospitals a week or two ago to come to one of these detention centers. They're either eager to learn how to use their powers, or scared, or frustrated by the government's handling of the situation.

The second group of people are those who have only recently discovered their superpowers this week and who didn't suffer any radiation wounds or go to the hospital so they have not been taken to a detention center. These people are being rounded up by the army and the law enforcement officers and they are being taken to the detention centers by force, but your characters have so far evaded being caught. You've also been watching the news and you know the government have no intention of letting any of the super humans leave the detention centers.

What happens next is up to you. Maybe those on the outside will try to help those on the inside, or maybe they'll get caught. Maybe those on the inside will start hearing the stories these newest super humans are telling and they'll decide on their own to break out.

There's a catch though. As if all of this wasn't enough to deal with, being super is less super than it seems...

The magic

The magic is increasingly addictive and it makes you feel powerful and amazing while you're using it. Your pain senses are damped down and it's like everything is in technicolour. However, when you stop using your magic, suddenly you're tired and even breathing feels harder than it was.

It sounds like this would be enough to make people not want to use their magic, but some of them are past the point of being able to stop. They crave it and every time they give in to that craving it gets a little bit worse.

Superpowers

One each and feel free to be creative, but nothing too crazy. Think x-men: super speed, fire, ice, telepathy, super healing. You can have anything except weather manipulation - that one's mine.

Radiation

The burns our characters suffered would have been light level - those who suffered worse are either dead or still hospitalised. They would have looked like this and left scars as they healed:

Character Template

Not mandatory but available if you'd like a guide:

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Nicknames: [/b]
[b]Age: [/b]

[b]Group:[/b] (Choose detention center/ newly super)
[b]Power:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b] (Character flaws as well as any limitations on their power)

[b]Brief History:[/b]

[b]Up for love?[/b]
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:38 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Kyra Bessant

Getting outside had been her number one priority, but now that she was out there, Kyra didn't feel much better than she had inside. It didn't take much looking to see all that barbed wire around them and it made her think that maybe the newest girl had been telling the truth. Maybe they weren't ever getting out of here. But that wasn't what had riled her up.

Pretty faces were showing up now. Faces with only one or two burns, some maybe even with none at all and Kyra didn't have to see her reflection in all the rain falling around her to know what her face looked like.

The rain was falling everywhere, except in the vicinity of the polystyrene cup of coffee in her hand. She felt good. Not sunshine and rainbows kind of good but like she could howl into the wind and the wind would howl back and they'd both go tearing around the world together, making everyone else hurt the way she did. She knew it was a reckless kind of good and that she should stop now and get her head screwed on, but she'd always liked the idea of being an actress.

Girls didn't get big roles without a pretty face.

"You didn't bring an umbrella? I suppose you might not, your power being what it is." Shinji wasn't one of those newer faces; he'd been here as long as she had but that didn't get him a free pass.

"It wasn't raining before I came out here." Kyra held on to it for a moment longer but then she sighed and let it go. Slowly the rain stopped falling and she felt the tiredness set in and sank back against the bench. "If I needed an umbrella, I wouldn't be here."
Writing Gooder

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:52 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Shinji Nakano

Shinji was tucked away beneath the canopy of the cafeteria's awning, sitting sprawled-legged on a bench that made up one half of one of those McDonald's dining tables that was, notably, half covered in rain as the awning stopped halfway over. It was either hastily made or made with taste for those who like the sunshine because, in Shinji's eyes, haste and care were just two sides to the same coin.

"I hear from Redeye we've got a whole busload'a newbies comin' in today." His toes curled against the cement blocks under his feet, One toe got splashed by a raindrop. He made a face and drew up his legs into his corner of the booth. Took out a lighter, lit a menthol cigarette.

The ember receded into the ash as if it were a radiation burn vanishing into the skin, leaving a crater - because that was what med students called the holes in their patients' faces - where all the cellulite, melanin, hair follicles - human things had been.

"If they have to make room, do you think you'll leave?"

Shinji laughed and blew a storm of smoke down from his nose, his upper lip, around his chin. "Like this place would be half as fun without Fried Rice and his gang."

Kyra scoffed and closed her eyes as the rain washed over her face and hair. "You don't have a gang, Shinji. You're not a gang leader. You lead no gang."

The cigarette practically evaporated once his heat got into it, making the ember blast through the tobacco and filters all in one split second. Ashes spat from his lips when he talked. "I'm as powerhouse as this place gets, Diva. Places don't have life without powerhouses."

He stood. He fished his hands into his pockets and pulled out a small, round case. "I got somethin' rattlin' in my brain, Diva. I'm thinkin' about the future, all those newbies. I'm thinkin' they'll need some hands to guide 'em." He pushed the container of makeup across the table and into the rain, where it caught Kyra's eye. "Maybe you'll toss around in your brain about bein' my delicate right hand."

A scoff before he touched a foot down on the linoleum of the cafeteria. "Next time it rains, you'll be dancin' in it, Diva. Just you wait and see."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:14 pm
View Likes
ChimeraMania says...

Viola Window

Empty.

That maybe the only thing Viola felt as she watched her daughter. Her small seven year old daughter. Watching as Evelynns' body falling, heart stopping, olive eyes dilating--showing lifelessness.

She watches as her daughter--not her daughter. The little girl laying on the blood red concrete isn't her daughter anymore. Her daughter's skin, like her father's tanned, wasn't pale. Her daughter's eyes aren't suppose to be empty. Neither is her heart, body, soul.

Yet, it is.

"Get her on the bus!" That simply command broke something in her. Not a dam letting tears out, a dam built on pure anger/hatred and pain.

She blinks, trying to rub her chest with her cuffed hands. Lynn hates remembering that because then the pain comes back. That's the one thing she hates the most, the pain. No matter what she's doing, her mind makes her relieve that moment, makes her feel that pain/emptiness. She hates it, but she can't shield herself from it.

Looking around, Lynn notice the bus has stopped yet again, but this time not for gas. She watches as they corner a little girl. Instantly, she pictures her as Evelynn. Throw the shield up around the young, she exits the bus.

Using her other power, she searches for the keys to her cuffs, once finding them on the bus driver, she gets them and quickly un-cuff herself. She starts moving towards 'her daughter' even with the men from the bus trying to get to her.

Using the things she has on them, she throws them away. Getting to 'her daughter' in time to save her, this time. She takes her hand and runs around the corner. Bumping into another girl, who was more men and woman following her.

"Come with me, both of you." Taking the other girls hand, she shields them all and run. Run as fast as she can, away with 'her daughter' and the other girl. Finally able to keep someone safe.

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:22 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Murphy Graves| Detention Center

The rain hammered at the large windows of what had once been a school, but now that there were no children around to attend it, had become a detention center for all the new people with superpowers. Murphy wasn’t stupid. She doubted the barbed wire fence, maybe landmines too for all she knew, had been there when the building had catered to the small local k-12 population. Elementary schoolers tended not to be flight risks.

Every room except the cafeteria, library, gym, and auditorium had been converted to living quarters. Murphy herself slept in a little closet that had probably once been the science wing’s chemical cabinet. Which was kind of screwed up, but at least meant she got a room to herself since it was so small, unlike the people sleeping in the classrooms. The cafeteria and auditorium still served their original purpose, but the library had been converted into a general lounge and the gym.... well, Murphy stayed away from the gym. She’d heard some of the other detainees had commandeered it as a place to practice their powers. Not officially, of course. Officially, the gym was more living quarters. Odd how no one ever seemed to live there.

Murphy would have prefered to be in her little closet right now, despite the lack of space. Stay out of sight, stay out of notice, keep from revealing her powers. After all, if there was one thing she’d figured out from years of playing RPGs and reading fantasy novels and comic books, it was that the white mage, healer, cleric, shaman, doctor, or whatever the hell else her powers could be called was always the first to be taken down in a conflict. Plus, she figured the folks around here were the type to test her healing powers by stabbing her and seeing if she got up from it.

But she’d kind of been recruited for lunch duty. Every super was assigned a job to do to maintain the detention center. She’d thought it was kind of funny, at first; why were they supposed to run their own prison? Still, most everyone did it, including her. She’d thought about it one night and finally came to the conclusion no one had anything better to do. Which was kind of depressing. She loaded up another tray with a sigh.

“Hey, kid, what’s your power?” Murphy looked up, startled, to see a man (older than her, but then, most of the supers tended to be- very few people younger than twenty or so had survived the radiation if they’d suffered it) regarding her dispassionately. She noted the gloves he wore and guessed that would be where the majority of his burns were. Usually there was some sign. “Kid?”

She burst into sobs mixed with hysterical laughter. “I-I don’t know. The people at the hospital sent me cause everybody that was that close and lives gets powers, but nothing’s shown up yet and it’s probably just something stupid like luck or easier lies or other crap like that. I always wanted to be a superhero and I should’ve gotten teleportation like Nightcrawler or thunder like Thor or blowing things up like Gambit or-”

“I shouldn’t have asked.” Looking slightly panicked, the guy grabbed his tray and backed away. “Look, you probably wouldn’t like having serious power anyway.” Murphy used her sleeve to wipe away the tears as he walked- somewhat of a hurried walk, true, but a walk- away. Yeah. Get away from the crazy girl.

Odd. The hysterics came easier each time. More naturally. Unthinkingly, she touched the smooth skin on her wrist, where dried blood crusted on unbroken skin. I know. She walked away from the lunch counter. She couldn’t do this. Not today.

Jack would’ve quoted Spiderman at her. With great power comes great responsibility. She would’ve agreed, back then. How much could change in five short weeks? She’d stepped around dying men and women knowing she could save them with a single touch, had only managed to help in the smallest doses- the little boy in the hospital, the young woman unconscious and bleeding to death alone in the center, situations where she wouldn’t be caught. Am I being selfish?

Am I going insane?
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:58 am
Poopsie says...

Alex Frazier

Alex sat on the roof of his house. Now that mom and dad and Kevin were dead the house was his..."

A single tear dripped down his cheek, he quickly wiped it away. No tears should be shed for a broken household, nevertheless, it was his family, shouldn't this have been a bittersweet moment? Shouldn't tears be shed?

The rain stopped, leaving the cool blackness of night. Alex stood and looked to the west. He'd heard of detention centers where they kept others like him. He longed for some company, but at the same time he knew if he went there he'd most likely get caught by the authorities. He decided to go anyways, what would they do to him, kill him? He'd like to see them try. Alex focused, trying to summon the magic again. As he did so he immediately felt a sense of dislike...no more than that, hate, seep into his mind. He shook his head, clearing the sense somewhat. He'd have to find a way to control this as he sincerely hated how he felt right now. A dark fire popped into existence on each of his fingers after a moment of concentration. Alex focused on his hand, letting the power flow through his arm. The fire gently, almost elegantly, snaked across his arm, encircling it partially. Why did he have to have such an evil power? What had he done to deserve a power fueled by hatred and malicious thoughts? Alex extinguished the fire and slowly stood, as he did his head began to clear. He saw the rain had come again, a gentle patter on the ceramic shingles of his broken house.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:29 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Gerald

"And that means that I have, in fact, not stolen but simply taken this wad of greenish paper from you."

The angry group of men and women did not seem to be placated. They inched forwards, poking with their sharp objects.

I'm afraid you must try harder than that.

Gerald flinched for a second, then smiled at his opposition and muttered,

"Excuse me."

He then turned his back to them and whispered in a hurried voice.

What is it now? It's not my fault there unreasonable!

Your unreasonable Gerald, just put the money down.

But our current situation mandates that we take what we must! Survival of the fittest as coined by Herbert Spencer. He's smarter than us, you know that!

No ones smarter than me!

Gerald sighed and glanced back, giving the now confused mob what he thought was reassuring smile.

Now your just being egotistical. I'm not listening to you anymore.

Fine! I'm not helping you anymore!

Gerald turned back to the crowd, sighing. One of the older men stepped up and growled,

"Are you going to give us back our money or are we going to have to take it from you?"

Gerald laughed then burst into song,

Material of thought is of value
Yet we hold paper and metal above
Taunting the greedy with portraits of men
Who are lust less and innocent of
What we commend
As the crowning achievement
The demeanor of greed
The attitude of necessity
The confident factor
The main attracter
Contracting the poor
Full of glee they contort
To fit through the hoops of the arrogant crooks that make dastardly plans
To tie all of our hands
In a bind of material need
Now all of the men
Their heads all are bent
And sitting above are the strings of lust
To bind all of us and keep it that way!

At the end he laughed and skipped away. Leaving the mob to confused to give chase.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

161 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:16 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Nalia

I think I saw her in the first dream...

It tickled, she thought. It hurt, too, that was a given, but she didn't care as much about the sharp pinpricks of pain covering her body. Instead she held her arm up in front of her, calmly fighting the urge to scream as the surrounding thorns ripped and tore at her everything, and watched the black beads of blood slowly crawl into and out of each other, creating tattoos of inky rivers on her gray skin. It was enough to calm her down, to settle the heart thundering inside of her chest and quiet her panicked panting. For now, at least, it was enough to hide her from the steel-toed footsteps around her.

"Where did she go?"

"Don't know. Can't be far... Check the shadows. Be careful, Rodney. We don't know what she's capable of."

"Roger that."

If she could just get a hold of one of them, she knew she'd be okay. She'd done it once before, taken someone there. A small one, the first time. She just wanted to try. Never before had she seen one so untainted. And she had been so sad then. She just wanted to show that place some light. It shined so bright and pure, she thought maybe it would fix her... She thought maybe...

I think I saw her in the first dream, before waking for the first time, I think. I saw her in a dream before the first.. I saw her, I think. Before... A long time before...

She wasn't going to take her there, though. She didn't know why she wandered so close to the strange building in the first place but then - she saw her. But then they saw her. But she wasn't going to take her there, so they didn't need to do this. They didn't have to try to kill her. She wasn't going to take her there! She wasn't going to take her there! She wasn't going to take her-!

"Gotcha! Keith! Over here!"

Nalia released an animalistic screech and fought her way out of the thorn bush. In a flash she was on the man and then

Dark skies thundered above a wasteland of corpses. The view for miles was sun-bleached skeletons next to still rotting bodies on thirsty grass, the sun was dark and hot and she never got tired of that sight. The tall one from before stood motionless before her save for the shaking of his knees and a general quiver that overtook his entire body.

"Is this a dream?"

Nalia watched the man intently, her black eyes locked onto his lighter, stranger ones. He watched her with terror flooding his eyes and swallowed a mouthful of prayers. The man went to take a step backwards but Nalia bearing her teeth in a wide smile stopped his progression nearly mid-air. Without breaking eye contact, Nalia sat among the ruins, legs folded over each other, and waited until the other one appeared - all shaky knees and quivering lips himself. The other ones always ended up appearing. They would touch her - or the other one, it didn't matter. They always do. That was the easy part. The hard part was when they

"Run."

She smiled the word. The hard part had always been her favorite.

--

Above, the sky lazed it's way into day and Nalia watched on her back in the safety of the trees. Waking up had always left her exhausted. The two ones from before lay lifeless next to her. They could have been sleeping. She turned her head and studied the face of the shorter one, the pale skin and blunt teeth, before growing bored and turning her head to the sky. All she needed was time. She would leave in time, but for now comfort beckoned.

I saw her, before. I know. In a dream.

She would see her again.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:43 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Kyra Bessant

"Next time it rains, you'll be dancin' in it, Diva. Just you wait and see."

Kyra reached for the container of makeup Shinji had slid across the table but with it came a bitter paradox. There would be no dancing in the rain for her, not if the makeup worked and not if she wanted it to stay on her face, covering the radiation scars and making her so happy that she could dance in the rain (and watch it all swirl into the gutter).

"I don't think so," Kyra said sourly, though her hand closed over the box. "That sounds as likely as someone called Fried Rice leading a gang."

The insult didn't hit as hard as she'd wanted but instead seemed to roll off the Japanese boy's back as he gave her a calm nod.

"Next time, Diva," Shinji echoed before disappearing into the canteen.

The concealer became the focus of her attention and she wondered if it might be worth a try. She'd thought about it before. Hell, most of the teenage girls in the detention center slapped it over their faces until you couldn't tell if there were spots or craters underneath, but you could tell there was something underneath. She'd never been fond of more than the lightest make-up before because it was too close to admitting that you had something to hide. Kyra didn't used to have to hide.

The green eyed girl shivered, her wet clothes clinging to her skin even as the sun started to peek out from behind the clouds. She swept into the canteen and pushed her way through the hoards of people, only pausing long enough to stare at a girl who was particularly skilled in the art of make-up. Or so recently super that her face hadn't been scoured within an inch of muscle. The girl turned and met her gaze and Kyra turned the longing look into an angry scowl before gliding past her and out into the hall.

Not normally one to bunk off 'class', Kyra was seriously considering it today but with a sigh and a dramatic about turn she made her way to the 'classroom'. It was a large and open plan building which still showed evidence of its time as the school gymnasium: a basketball hoop hung from either side and the floor was marked with a pattern of lines and half circles. However, it also showed signs of its time as a room for the supers to learn how to contain their powers: the left hoop was half torn away from the wall and hung at a 45 degree angle while scorch lines marked both floor and walls and one of the windows had been completely ripped out of its socket and buried in rubble so that only a hastily re-purposed curtain kept the elements out.

Or in when it came to Kyra. She could feel the desire to fork lightning and rain through that gap and to blow the house down and it was getting harder every day to fight that desire. But that was what she was here to do.

While other students used the space to test the limits of their powers, under the guidance of some of the older supers, Kyra leaned against the wall and watched them and resisted the urge to join in.

Under the broken basketball hoop, Kyle had started pulling ice together to build some kind of structure which was both breathtakingly beautiful and delicately dangerous at once. He wasn't building it on the floor though, but instead on the ceiling and great lances like stalactites extended out far enough to keep most people at bay.

This didn't seem to bother the youngest of the group - a kid called Jasper - who had been left in a corner with paper and crayons and wispy illusions floating around.

She saw the girl from the canteen again, standing slightly apart, and wondered if she also was trying not to use her gift. Kyra scowled at the thought, not wanting to have anything in common with her.

Then she wondered where Shinji was and supposed the busload of newbies had taken his attention and he was probably playing greet and meet as they got off the bus. Maybe he was throwing fireballs to impress them or doing that trick with his cigarettes. Kyra felt an irrational surge of jealousy and the curtain fluttered, but she pushed it down and waited out the storm.

Despite the long day, Kyra was reluctant to go to sleep when night came and she stayed awake until memories of the storm and the hospital plagued her thoughts so strongly that she succumbed to the nightmares which awaited her to escape those which haunted her days.

The nightmare started out the same. The news interrupted the scary slasher film playing on Annie's laptop in the closeness of the tent with an even scarier announcement, warning them that the killer storm was progressing toward the city.

"We should get out of here," Annie insisted in her nasal whine and Kyra tried to turn away, but she couldn't make herself. She heard the scoff come out of her mouth and her hand waved the matter aside as her own voice insisted they'd be fine.

"Let's hide under the picnic bench. I saw it on TV once, on this earthquake program where they told everyone to get under the desks. It saves people's lives."

"Really?" Annie's blue eyes remained locked on her, even as Kyra pulled her through the tent flap and started to crawl under the wooden picnic bench.

"Really," she said.

That was where the dream changed and then unraveled and fell apart. Kyra was focused so much on fighting for control of her body, fighting to not sit under the picnic bench with the wood crowding in on her like the sides of a coffin, squeezing on her chest and making it hard for her to breathe. Kyra was so terrified that she didn't notice the dark shadow emerging from the trees until it was almost upon them. The shape looked human, despite the slate grey skin and black, coal eyes and it observed her with a primitive but almost curious interest. For a moment, Kyra forgot how terrified she was of the picnic bench turned coffin, of Annie's feverish and burned body starting to smell beside her as the weight of the bench pinned her to the floor.

Then she realised it hadn't happened yet and that she could move and she scrambled out from under the picnic bench and turned to run. She aimed for a gap in the trees at the far side of the clearing, but it looked like they were closing their ranks on her and by the time she had reached them, the trees were packed so closely together that she was afraid to squeeze through. She turned around and Annie and the picnic bench were gone, swallowed by the trees. The tent still remained but a branch had grown right through it and was growing still, extending toward her with wooden fingers.

The demon girl moved closer as well and Kyra closed her eyes, begging herself to wake up.
Writing Gooder

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm
Poopsie says...

Alex Frazier

The detention center stood about a half mile away, shadowed by the rising sun. Alex had arrived late last night and found an abandoned house nestled in a small patch of trees, he thought whoever it was that had lived here must have liked being secluded. Now Alex sat looking out on a mattress looking out a large round window and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He felt a knot of anxiety build in his stomach, maybe he wasn't really over what had happened. The storm had been intense, but the aftermath was even more so. His brother, corpses on the streets... Alex shook his head, shoving aside the bad thoughts, his brother's words echoed in his head.

a stone cold heart is the key to survival

He may not have agreed with that statement, but it did have a point. Alex stood up, slinging his new found backpack over his shoulder. He'd put a few clothes and a gps in it, other than that he hadn't felt the need to pack anything else. He hadn't found food yet, but he would survive.

Outside the air was fresh. The grass dripped dew and a cool breeze blew through Alex's jacket. A visitor could've easily mistaken the landscape as beautiful, to Alex it only reminded him of how terrible the storm had been. The dew was the tears of the forgotten and the cold breeze was the whisper of the dead, determined to bring the living with them.

"Hello stranger!" Alex spun around, searching for the speaker and was greeted by a kid, sixteen or seventeen, in a leather jacket and cargo shorts.

"What's your name stranger?" asked the kid, taking a step forward. Alex looked at him warily.

"Alex." The kid smiled and extended his hand.

"Gerald. Gerald Thomps..." Gerald made a face, then smiled shakily at Alex.

"One sec" He then turned around and stood stock still, whispering something Alex couldn't make out. Whoever this kid was he probably wasn't right in the head. With a grunt, Gerald turned back around and extended his hand.

"Sorry for the, ah, interruption, I'm Gerald Thompson, leader of the brave and free." Alex paused, not knowing what to make of Gerald.

"It was a joke. A bad joke but a joke none the less." Alex nodded dumbly.

"Where are you headed?" he asked. Gerald pointed to the detention center.

"Are you headed there too? Mind if I join you?" Alex hesitated, then nodded again. He wasn't sure about the kid's condition, but his instinct told him Gerald wasn't the one to hurt people, at least not on purpose...
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:06 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Kyra Bessant

"What's she crying about?" Kyra furrowed her brows as she asked the question and the huddle of girls parted slightly, their expressions more wary than welcoming. Despite her grouchy tone, the rude awakening had been a relief of sorts. Though needing to be awakened from bad dreams at all was in itself not very nice.

"She was meant to go home," Martha said.

"Then why's she still here?"

Kyra had a week left before she could go home and she was looking forward to it. She'd be a normal girl returning to a normal life and she'd forget about all this super crap. If Shinji wanted to stay here and be lord of the flies, that was fine by her, but she needed her freedom.

Everything about this grey, boring dormitory reminded her of that. The grey walls, the grey carpets and especially the grey looks on all the girls' faces. Nothing was important here. Everyone else all all excited and worked up about how cool all the super powers were, but what use were powers if they didn't help you do what you wanted? If you couldn't go where you wanted, couldn't sleep when you wanted. Couldn't even leave when you wanted.

"They said she's not ready yet," Martha replied. "They said she can't control her powers right but it's bullshit. Angie's been levitating stuff safely since I've been here."

"Well maybe she got over excited," Kyra said. "Maybe levitated one of her testers into the wall." Kyra leaned back against the post of her bunk bed and rubbed her head with a tired hand. That would be her soon, trying hard not to electrocute one of their keepers by accident.

"I didn't," Angie protested, her voice muffled at first by her sobs. "I didn't levitate no-one," she repeated more clearly. "But they're not letting me out. They're not letting anybody out, not ever."

Kyra scoffed and shook her head. "Just because they didn't let you-"

"No, she's right," Martha chimed in. "Angie's been here three weeks now, but she wasn't the first who's tried to leave."

Kyra was about to scoff again but she felt a coldness settle in her chest. "Nobody's left? Not... ever?"

Without waiting for the answer, Kyra scooped her towel off the floor and went to take a long and cold shower. After that, she was going to find some answers. Maybe Shinji would know who'd been here longest and if not, maybe he'd want to know what she'd just found out. Maybe if he heard he couldn't leave then he'd change his mind about wanting to stay.
Writing Gooder

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:13 am
StupidSoup says...

Gerald

"Oh please stranger, doesn't it matter what they are and how you get them?"

"For the last time my name Is Alex"

"Bah, I'll call you Carl. Besides, you haven't answered my second question."

"We all got our powers from the storm! Don't you know that!"

"I like to think we got our powers from dreams. Wouldn't that be nice?"

Alex groaned and turned back around.

"I got mine from a forest! Yeah, and when I received them, the forest bent away from me, as if seeking shelter. Do you think that my power might be fire? I'm certainly interested with fire but I'm not a pyromaniac. Definitely not a pyromaniac, I would have burned a lot of stuff by now if I was a pyromaniac don't you thi--"

Alex whirled around and landed a powerful blow on Gerald's chest, knocking the poor kid back a good foot.

"Will you NEVER shut up?!"

Gerald coughed, pulling himself up,

"Define never." He said with a smile.

"Just be quiet! Were getting close just shut up for a MINUTE! PLEASE!"

Gerald frowned but nodded.

It was indeed true. The detention center was looming on the horizon, as if ready to swallow them like it did so many others.

"Why are we here?"

Alek sighed.

"I just wanted to see it."

Gerald smiled to himself.

"Ahh, curiosity killed the cat you know."

"I wont get caught here." Alex muttered.

The duo trudged on, circling around the compound, keeping out of sight.

"Shouldn't we say hello?"

Alex didn't respond. Gerald crawled out of the brush, attempting a friendly wave. Quick as a whip, Alex shot out and pulled him back, cursing under his breath.

"Please, stranger, is it to much to ask to be polite? We are trespassing."

"Are you kidding me? These people are deadly, their afraid. You cant reason with fear."

Gerald smiled, earning a puzzled look.

"People can always be reasoned with. You just have to know what to say."
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

Random avatar

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:04 pm
kayfortnight says...

Murphy Graves | Detention Center

Even Murphy could tell there was something building, and she made an effort to avoid the other inmates as much as possible. Whispered conversations that stopped whenever a stranger drew near. Slow rearrangement of the people sharing sleeping quarters so that the most common whisperers could whisper alone. Increased levels of training in the gym with the people with dangerous powers, while the ones who ended up with useless powers were discreetly suggested to be better off elsewhere. She’d heard somebody had already managed to kill someone else in that gym. The guards were staying well away from it.

She honestly didn’t care. As long as they didn’t rope her in, she was... well, not happy. That implied more cheer than her current state of being. Not even truly content. Just simply apathetic. The members of the conspiracy, if that’s what it was, didn’t bother to seek her out anyway. One of the perks of being young enough that back in the normal world she couldn’t even drive yet.

‘Course, that meant the scientists in charge of the whole mess payed more attention to her than to most. Some weirdness about wondering how the radiation affected people who were still growing. Which was why she was sitting opposite one of the scientists right now, playing Q&A. The tall British man raised an eyebrow, drumming his fingers on the arm of his chair. “So you’re not interested in filing an application to leave?”

“Do you want me to file one?” Murphy sighed. Sometimes she had to wonder just how idiotic these people were. The scientists were certainly taking enough blood draws and running enough tests on her that there had to be some benefit they were getting in having her around- Murphy suspected monetary, although they refused to tell her if her blood was healing people outside her body or whatever they wanted it for.

“No, no.” He smiled weakly. “We just don’t want anyone to say we’re not allowing people who aren’t a danger the chance to leave.”

“Look, my family and friends are all dead, and there’s nothing out there for me.” Not like they’d let her leave, anyway. Murphy had been on the first bus down, and new faces kept coming, but the old ones never left. She’d heard a rumor or two suggesting that was what the new conspiracy between the more powerful supers was about.

“Fine, fine. You are dismissed.”

She slipped out of the room- and nearly bumped into a tall, dark-haired woman who had probably been supermodel-beautiful before the radiation scars. Kyra, one of the main whisperers. “Watch it, kid!”

“S-sorry,” Murphy stammered, jumping back nervously. She grabbed her hood and pulled it up over her head quickly, hoping the woman hadn’t noticed her lack of scarring, but Kyra’s eyes narrowed.

“How long have you been here? The newbies don’t have good control of their powers.” What was left unsaid was “But the oldtimers have scars.”

“I-I’m new,” she lied. “G-got a really stupid power, that makes it hard for people to notice me.” She fled before Kyra could ask any more questions.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:38 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Kyra Bessant

The makeup pad was laying on top of her discarded clothes from the previous day and Kyra ran a finger over it as she teased knots out of her hair with a cheap paddle brush. She'd had one made with boar bristles but someone who had an eye for superior quality had stolen it. Everything here was like that.

When the hospital transferred her to the detention camp, there had been enough time for her dad to bring her one bag with a hopeless selection of all her least favourite belongings. That had been two weeks ago. She'd been recycling the same outfits and anything else you wanted had to be traded for or taken but almost everything was in short supply.

The girls who had make-up probably stashed it away and defended it with their lives. Kyra hadn't been bothered about it before but now she wondered what effort Shinji had gone to for the small, round case.

Kyra snorted and stuffed the make-up container into her jeans pocket as she threw down the brush and strode out of the room. She didn't need to put her war paint on before going on a war path.

The more questions Kyra asked, the more she didn't like the answers. Two weeks. Three weeks. Who could say how long the longest had been there? Nobody seemed to know if anyone had left before or who had been the first to arrive in this hateful place.

Kyra stepped around the corner and nearly crashed into a girl with brown hair in a short pixie cut. “Watch it, kid!”

“S-sorry,” the girl stammered as she tried to pull a hood up over her features but Kyra's eyes flickered quickly over the unmarred skin and she felt the familiar rush of jealousy and bitter anguish like acid in her chest.

“How long have you been here? The newbies don’t have good control of their powers.” Kyra's speech came out jumbled but her thoughts were clear. She'd seen the girl before, yesterday? A few days ago? There was something off about her and it wasn't just the pretty face.

“I-I’m new,” the girl claimed. “G-got a really stupid power, that makes it hard for people to notice me.” Then she turned and sped away, but she didn't fade into the background or become part of the shadows. In fact Kyra could still see her soft, peachy skin, as if she was still standing in her path.

"Now you're scarin' little girls." Shinji's drawl sounded amused and Kyra could envision him with his back to the wall, cigarette hanging from between his teeth, but she didn't turn around.

"No I'm not. What do you care what I do. We're not the same. You want to stay here but will you still want to be stuck in this dump when you know we can't leave?!"

"Whoa, Diva. Who's been pullin' your chain?"

Pivoting to face him, Kyra blew air between her teeth and thunder rumbled in the distance, loud enough to be inside. "I want out. Now. I'll even be in your stupid gang, but let's just leave."
Writing Gooder

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Shinji knew a good offer, like a good dog, when it laid a gift at his feet. It was a lot like sitting at your desk as a kid and waiting, watching the paper the teacher had laid face-down in front of you. You knew luck no longer had anything to do with it. You knew that whatever number was written on the page was there before, there then, and there after you flipped it over. But there was always that joy in turning the page up to see the red ink.

And boy, this test was one for the fridge.

"Dunno, Diva," teased Shinji, folding his hands behind his head. "Wouldn't want you layin' waste to the Thames if somebody pisses you off."

She took a step forward at him and had his tank top bundled in her fist in a split second. His grin remained. "Something's not right, Shin, and you know it." She looked down the hall and back to him, then let his shirt go. "They're reneging on their promises." Her eyes shifted. "When was the last time you had a visitor?"

He stuffed his hands in his pockets and turned down the hallway, heels skidding across the linoleum with a warm squeak. "Visitors are overrated." He shrugged and let his fingers trail the cement of the walls, tiny columns of flame trailing his movements and illuminating the dreary dark. The thunder outside quelled. Then, too, did his trail. "Come on, come on. We're gonna need that healer mouse you scared off earlier if we're plannin' anything."

Kyra stopped in her tracks and gasped low. Under her breath, she realized: "Healer..."

It wasn't uncommon for Shinji to bust up in the women's barracks. And it wasn't uncommon for him to get pelted with the occasionally ball of hail or quick-moving airborne nail from the bunk beds. But as he strolled through the long row of ladies in lounge pants and sports bras and, yes, there was a seventy-year-old woman in a lingerie gown, he had eyes only for a young girl huddled in the far corner, books and sketchbook sprawled over her mattress. Her sheets were pink. Her pillow case was one big face of one of those cartoon ponies everyone loved.

Shinji stopped and sat at the foot of her bed, moving a copy of Harry Potter off and over the edge of the bed. The girl regarded him angrily, but kept quiet. "Mouse. This here is Diva. I'm Shi--"

"Fried Rice," Kyra interrupted.

"Right. Fried Rice. And this here," he wiggled his cigarette a bit in his lips, "is my poison of choice."

He took out the ember-lit butt and dug it into the palm of his left hand, making a small hole in the top layer of skin where a blister would crop up soon. He held out his hand, palm-up, in front of the girl and let his eyes soften a bit.

The girl glanced between Shinji's face and his hand several times before putting her book down and holding his hand between her thumbs. With nervous breath, her grip trembled; but like watching a star fall through the night sky, the skin grew back whole and tanned the way it had been originally.

He turned to look at Kyra, whose eyes seemed to nearly well with anticipation.

Shinji, ever-melodramatic, slid a package of band-aids out of his pockets and across the bed to Mouse. "Little critters, they don't fear the house cats when they sleep with the dogs."

The girl held the box of band-aids and watched him nervously. "You're talking like I'm a part of something. I've never been a part of any scandal before."

"We'll talk about it tomorrow morning. You'll wake up, get out of your PJs, come downstairs, and eat breakfast with us outside. But now? Diva and I have a man to see about some ice."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson