z

Young Writers Society

It's Super Being Super

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:36 pm
Poopsie says...

Alex

The boy in the leather shirt, Alex decided, was just plain clueless. He sat in the brush, debating whether to run out and stop Gerald or simply let him be caught. He was sure Gerald had some sense of what he was walking into, but just chose to ignore the facts. Also, Gerald hadn't displayed his powers yet. For all Alex knew the kid could be indestructible. He suddenly felt sorry for the way he'd treated the kid. Maybe he was a bit annoying, scratch that, completelyannoying, but he was the only company Alex had. At least he wasn't the average kid, looking to prove himself to the world. Pumping himself up to hide his small heart, his insecurities. Alex admired that about him, he needed to or else he was sure whatever horrible shitstorm of a power he had would drive him insane. He'd felt it when Gerald had talked about how he got his powers, it wasn't just annoyance, it was murderous intent. After he'd shut the kid up he'd looked down and seen black and red fire dancing across his palm.

''Hey, Carl! Come here, I think I can get this door open!'' Alex stared. Gerald was standing in front of a service door, beckoning for Alex to join him. Alex decided if they were caught he couldn't have fared better in the bushes, so he stood and joined Gerald at the service door.

''How are we supposed to get through a steel door?'' Asked Alex. Gerald grinned,

''Just give it a little push.'' He gave the door a push, but it didn't budge.

''Gerald, why would they leave a service door open.'' Gerald looked at the door quizzically,

''Well, how do the guards on the outside get in?'' Alex smiled.

''Theirs a thing called keys...'' He was cut off as Gerald executed a perfect facepalm. Alex looked back.

''Well, it seems your planned failed, shall we head back?'' Gerald nodded. Alex turned and froze. A man stood in front of them, average height with tan skin and ice blue eyes. He sported a stubble of a beard and when he spoke, Alex could pick up a slight Scottish accent.

''Come silently and there won't be any trouble. You've trespassed and attempted an entry.'' Alex immediately knew they were in trouble. This was probably a guard of the detention center. Whether he also had powers or not, he wasn't sure, but he certainly did pose a threat. Gerald stepped up and extended a hand.

''hello stranger, I'm Gerald-...'' he was cut off as the man took out cuffs and proceeded to handcuff Gerald.

''hey, what did I do. Unhand me stranger!'' Gerald's response was met with a swift backhand.

''You are not to talk.''

Alex watched with growing anger as Gerald was cuffed, then the man turned to him. He felt heat building on the back of his neck.

''look, just let us go, we didn't mean any harm, we were just taking a look, would you really arrest curious citizens?'' The man sighed,

''If you were a citizen surely you would know the rules, surely you would know that approaching detention centers is illegal.'' Suddenly, an object smashed into him, sending him to the floor. The heat spread across his body and Alex felt something, another presence, take control. Instantly he was surrounded by red lightning and black fire. It swirled across his body and formed an exoskeleton. Dark fire claws formed around his hands and his torso and head were surrounded by more fire. The man with the ice cold eyes stepped back. Alex felt his consciousness slipping away as the new, malicious presence took control.

''You shouldn't have punched him.'' The man looked back at Gerald, then turned to Alex, but he was gone. The man whipped around just in time to see the back of Alex's fiery claws coming at him. Then the man was gone. Alex turned, a ball of black energy forming in his hands and slammed it down, right next to his reappearing attacker. The blast blew him back, slamming him into a tree. The man slumped down, unconscious. Alex felt his form receding, his consciousness as well. The last thing he saw was Gerald leaning over him, grabbing his hands, and dragging him into the shrubs.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:04 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Kyra Bessant

Seeing a man about ice wasn't on Kyra's top ten 'to do' list. At that moment it didn't even make her top five.

As she watched Shinji's hand disappear into his pocket, she was still seeing that new layer of skin like a fresh lick of paint on a beat up old Chevy. Getting a paint job was her number one priority.

But Shinji was right, the girl was a mouse, half afraid of her own squeak. If Kyra wanted to coax her out she was going to have to stop thinking like a cat and find some cheese.

"Let's go," Kyra agreed and she took off ahead like it was her own idea. Shinji followed on her heels and she didn't need to look back to see the satisfied grin on his face. Fine. He was in charge of the gang, but there couldn't be a gang without a Diva.

FroYo was sculpting a staircase in the gym, one of those tight spiraling ones coming out of the ceiling like a ballerina's twirl. Kyra didn't know where his nickname had come from or why he went by it, but if he was going to be in their gang then he needed something cooler and she had just the trick.

"Hey! Frozen Yoghurt!" Kyra stood with one hand on her hip and folded the other out toward Shinji like she was doing the little teapot dance. "I'm Diva and this here's Fried Rice and he's going to tell you why you're going to come with us."

The word thing was definitely Shinji's department.

The asian boy slid forward and then carried on walking to the ice sculpture and around, his shoes making a quiet crunch as he stepped on the ice. Then he grabbed hold of the two sides of the staircase and swung himself onto the first step. Every muscle in Kyra's body tightened and she felt the breath catch in her teeth as she waited for the ice to crack and her eyes spun wide to see Kyle's reaction.

He didn't move. Kyle stood calm and serene at the side and then turned away and started for the door. "I was done with it anyway. Enjoy."

That was not what she'd expected. "Shinji..."

"I know, I know. Hey - this goes pretty high."

Instead of running after Kyle, Shinji took another step up the staircase and then another. He rounded the corner and carried on up, his feet slapping gently against the ice. Kyle was suddenly forgotten as Kyra's heart stopped mid-beat.

"What are you- get down from there!"

But Shinji kept on climbing.

"Seriously dude, the girl's right. It's not made for climbing on." Kyle stood in the doorway with slight furrow to his brow but otherwise no obvious sign of any concern. The ice power suited him. Was it all like that - Shinji was sure hot headed enough for his fire and had even paused to light a cigarette, while scaling an ice staircase for heaven's sake! There was a gust of wind through the broken window and Kyra almost pulled it further in to blow the cigarette out. Just what was Shinji playing at?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:27 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Gerald

Whosywhatsits was quite heavy.

Gerald let down the unconscious kid with a sigh of relief. They had traveled far into the surrounding woods, exactly the way they had came. In fact, he could see the hamlet on the horizon.

"Well, I suppose we shall rest here."

He looked at the sleeping form of Alex then shrugged, lazily leaning against a tree.

"And since your in no state to respond indeed we shall!"

He pretended to hoist a glass of wine into the air and take a long draught. Then there was a glass in his hand and he did so once again, chuckling to himself.

The cool liquid ran down his throat, soothing him. Gerald observing the elaborate decorations of the manor around him, the velvet drapes, the antique mahogany chairs carved in dazzling patterns.

"Ah, Gerald it seems you found the dining hall."

An older woman's voice sounded across the hall, her voice mixing with the opening of a door.

Gerald turned, welcoming Aunt Arias with a grand gesture.

"It is quite a hall is it not? Worthy..." He took another draught.

"Worthy of much more than just one lonely man." Aunt Arias said, a smile playing across her lips.

Gerald laughed wholeheartedly, sending an echo across the hall.

"Then shall we have music? And guests! Lots of guests!"

Aunt Arias smiled, gesturing him to come.

"You've had your drink, you've had your fun. But its time to continue the tour now."

She walked out of the hall, heels clacking on the marble floor. Gerald followed, slightly loopy, and walked right into a tree. He fell back in shock, mouth moving wordlessly.

Then he hit the ground. Instantly, a shockwave pulsed through the earth, sending rocks blasting upwards, then stopping, frozen in air. Dirt and grass stretched, cutting into the trees, felling a few of them. A ball of dirt suddenly exploded into a massive triangle, ripping a gash in the dirt next to Alex, before imploding into nothingness. All around, chaos reigned. Rocks frozen in time suddenly turned to jelly, wiggling and distending in crazed motion. Even dust particles, floating along on the breeze, hit the shockwave and blasted into the air, becoming massive needle like points before bloating outwards.

Then, as soon as it had started, the chaos ended. Rocks returned to normal proportions and fell to the ground. Dirt and dust fell like rain, showering the two.

Gerald lay there, gasping. His sight was bleary, his eyes unfocused. He tried to stand, stumbled, then fell, legs giving out from underneath him. He lay there once more. Eyes staring sightlessly up into the sky. Then he spoke.

"Aunt Arias was supposed to take me on a tour of the castle."

He raised his arm again, as if toasting someone.

"She was supposed to do it before the storm."
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:05 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Shinji "The Rice Is Burning" Nakano

"If it's any consolation, Diva, I'm sure you coulda made somethin just as hefty and badass as this little Frozen tribute."

The boy down below sighed. "It's not a tribute to Froz--"

"Did you sing that song while you built it?"

"No, Shinji, I didn't sing the--"

"I bet it sounded great with your voice. Somethin like what's-his-face that created the Telletubbies."

"You should really take that back, Shin." Diva had more-or-less given up on worrying about him as he continued climbing and just stood at the bottom, stroking the railing and admiring the polygons on the surface. It was reminiscent of diamonds.

"So like you're in here by yourself, singin that song and all, and you think to yourself--" he jumped up onto the top step, where he noticed the ending noted by the ice being unformed--but not in a jagged manner. The way this ice was put together reminded Shinji of a spider's web, how it was nearly woven out of ice threads. "I'm gonna build a staircase to Jesus!" He took a drag and funneled the smoke through his nose.

"That's really not what I intended at all, thou--"

"I don't think you quite made it there, FroYo."

There was a pause between them, but it wasn't silent. Shinji was giggling to himself. "Unless you count me as Jesus. Fiery, shirtless, Asian Jesus." He turned and palmed a fireball down the winding stairwell, melting the stairs and leaving a slick ramp, which he slid down on his heels, as if riding a skateboard. When he landed, he took a bow as the remainder of FroYo's Stairway To Heaven melted into a giant puddle.

Kyra cleared her throat and shoved Shinji aside as the puddle reached her feet. "If you'll excuse me, Asian Jesus."

"Surely, my child."

Diva took to drawing the water up into a cloud above their heads--a fierce looking one, at that. It looked like it could strike someone with lightning at any moment. But instead of striking anyone with anything, it just skuttled up and out the window before bursting in a roar of thunder.

Shinji looked at FroYo and instinctively shoved his hands in his pockets. "The reason I came by, hounded you off your staircase, climbed your staircase, got myself a new bitchin' nickname, melted your staircase, and got a Disney song stuck in my head is--"

"You want me to join the gang you're making."

Shinji cocked an eyebrow. "How--?"

"From the top of that staircase you can hear what everyone says in here. People gossip. Especially people who don't like you."

"And by that you mean...basically everyone."
"Basically everyone, yes."

Shinji cleared his throat. "Just gonna shift the attention back to me. Take your time, don't sweat it, but do pay attention when I say important things."

FroYo blinked. "You said something important?"

Shinji pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "We're going to leave this place." Thunder rolled outside. " By force. Probably take London or something in the name of the mutants."

FroYo shifted uncomfortable. "Okay, the whole tone of this place just shifted."

"It's nothing serious, Elsa. I just promised to give a certain lady a place where she can dance. That's all."

"What if I'm uncomfortable cooperating with you?"

"I've seen enough X-Men movies to know that we fight to determine your course of action."

"I'm not so sure about that," he murmured, wearily.

"Yyyyyeah. Neither am I, really." Oh. Diva was there. Okay.

"Then I'll save my fighting for someone bigger. Tougher. Someone who doesn't waste time building frozen metaphors in the middle of a basketball cour---PFTPH!" Shinji reeled back as a fist landed against his face. He staggered back, grabbed his face, and flaked shards of ice decorating his skin.

FroYo stepped back, stammering. "I--I could've sworn that would've knocked you out. I mean not for a long time, but long enough for me to leave--"

"That's really interesting. I'm really interested by this." Shinji kept tonguing the inside of his cheek to check for blood among his teeth.

"What...is interesting?"

Shinji balled his fists and grinned. "You hit just like Elsa, too."

Diva rolled her eyes. "For Chrissake..." She leaned back on her toes and carried a gust of wind up to the bleachers where she could watch without fuss. "Just so you two don't kill one another, I'm going to keep score. And the first one to reach ten points--"

"What justifies a point?" both boys shouted.

"Dunno. Show off more. Give me even less faith in getting out of here."

"First thing's first. Elsa, if you would shut the doors to keep out guests, that'd be great."

"What's wrong?" he called. "Don't want any of the ladies to see you get your ass handed to you in a block of ice?"

"No," he countered. "There are small children here, and I don't think they're quite ready to see a burn victim yet."

Good God, thought Kyra, I'm never getting out of here.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:36 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Kyra Bessant

It didn't surprise her that instead of putting their heads together to formulate a plan on getting out of here, or even to discuss the pros of leaving an 'educational' facility that had them caged like science experiments, the boys were fighting.

Diva kicked absently at the wall as she watched from her lofty position.

"Six- four."

"If this is X-Men then we both know who ends up in a world of hurt. We also know all I've got to do is take that lighter and you've got zilch. Who's six?"

"Except maybe this is Game of Thrones and I've got a couple of dragons up my sleeves. I'm the Charizard to your Blastoise and I'm gonna cook you in your shell. Who's four?"

"You do realise water Pokemon always beat fire Pokemon, right?"

"Did you miss the final fight? With people like me and Charizard, there's an exception to every rule."

"You're seriously arguing about Pokemon. I can't believe you've turned this into Pokemon," Kyra sighed. She felt beyond the point of caring on the surface but somewhere in the background there was a crescendo of frustration and lightning crackled outside the gymnasium. "Seven- six."

"Uh... I hope I'm not interrupting anything but-"

"This isn't the time to steal my spotlight Mouse. Eyes off her, back on me. Diva keep counting."

"-It's just that-"

"But what if she's prettier to look at?"

Mouse flushed a bright red at Frozen Yoghurt's question and Kyra found herself studying the timid girl intently. Her boyish chest flattened even more as she drew in a deep breath and seemed to fight against the natural inclination to sink into the shadows. The boys looked ready to start taking punches at each other again but Kyra felt a change in the air and she gusted back down to the floor.

"What's up?"

Mouse gave her a look that wasn't assertive but somehow managed to express the opinion that Diva was the last person she expected to be useful in this situation.

"Fine. Tell them. Don't mind me who's actually listening to you but whatever. Seven-seven."

"The army's here," Mouse said flatly. "With big guns, weird bracelet things. They're rounding people up and locking them in rooms for our own safety or some crap. If we're leaving, it's now."

Kyra blinked nd turned to Shinji who rolled his shoulders and cracked his knuckles. "Diva, go get your shoes because it's time to dance."
Writing Gooder

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:21 pm
View Likes
Poopsie says...

Alex

Alex was vaguely conscious of being picked up, carried for a half a mile, then set down again, sounds of the outside world bounced around his empty skull, sending bleary echoes through his ears. He tried to remember what had happened before he'd passed out, but couldn't recall anything but blackness and some evil presence that sent shivers down his spine. He tried to move, but the world spun in lazy circles and his body seized up with pain. Everything hurt. It was like being shot everywhere at once, but never dying. Hot tears of pain escaped his eyes and dripped slowly down his cheeks, leaving burning trails that quickly cooled and healed.

Time passed as he lay there. Once he vaguely heard a loud boom, as if a small bomb had went off next to him, but he couldn't make out what had happened next. Seeing was painful. The next time he woke up, he felt fine. He sat up and looked around at the foggy morning.

''You're awake.''

Gerald sat a few feet away from him on a rock protruding from the grassy ground. He was smiling in his usual manner, but something was off. He seemed more weighted, as if he'd finally grasped their predicament and begun living like the rest of them had. Alex made to stand up and black fire shot up his arms and legs, sending him stumbling. . back. He felt a rising panic as the fire slowly worked its way up his arms and legs. He smelled something, burning flesh. He fell to his knees, trying to contain the malevolent presence slowly spreading within him. He gasped, tears of pain streaming down his face, his vision began to dim, small tendrils of black creeping into sight. He heard someone approach him, then

''Do you remember when your mother used to take you to the county fair every year?''

Alex stopped struggling, latching on to Gerald's voice.

''Remember the rainbow lights of the ferris wheel, how it twinkled and melded with the starry sky. How it danced on the ground, as if for one night, God had decided to let the lights of heaven play with the minds of us simple souls.''

Alex took deep breaths trying to picture the lights in his minds eye. He had been there, he remembered the heavenly lights and the playful atmosphere. The fire around him died down, then disappeared. Alex opened his eyes, Gerald's face was inches from his, light mingling with the tears in his eyes.

''How. How did you know i'd been to the carnival?'' Alex's voice cracked. Gerald smiled

''Everyone's been their at some point.'' He replied. Alex managed a chuckle and climbed to his feet. An alarm sounded in the distance and Alex turned back to the detention center.

''Looks like somethings going on.''

Gerald turned to look. Alarms at the front gate blared and hummers filed through it.

''The military. Lets go take a look.'' Gerald turned to leave, but Alex stopped him.

''Gerald. Thank you.'' Gerald nodded, then turned and walked towards the gates.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:44 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Murphy Graves | Detention Center

Murphy rolled the bullet around in her hands distractedly. She was wearing a ridiculously oversized Batman sweatshirt with a bullet hole in the shoulder and leggings- look, you couldn’t exactly pack for the apocalypse, and the stock stuff they had at the school-prison didn’t really offer much choice. She wasn’t even wearing shoes. She had no damn clue where Kyra and Shinji were getting their perfect outfits; she figured through intimidation of the better dressed newbies. And then there was the whole bullet thing. She healed, but injuries still freaking hurted. Plus there were army men stomping about, the reason for said bullet hole, and they were trying to break out of aforementioned school-prison.

All in all, she was having a bad day. She stayed back, away from the others, and let them discuss the plan, which seemed to amount to Shinji, Kyra, and that guy from the cafeteria with the ice powers (What lie had she told him? Oh yeah, that she didn’t have powers. Well, so much for that) planning on killing every military official in their paths and busting out the front gates. Shinji pointed out, “Heading out a side entrance would be better. If we don’t make our escape obvious, no one will be hunting for us until after we’re all long gone.” He glanced at Murphy. “Mouse, can you heal bullet wounds?”

Murphy froze for a moment, aware of all their attention directed towards her, but she forced herself to break through it and simply opened up her hand, showing them all the bloody bullet in her palm. “You got shot?” Ice-guy asked, frowning. She really did have to learn his name soon.

She shrugged. “I think right now I can probably survive anything,” she murmured. “I should be able to heal a bullet wound on someone else if I get to you before it kills you. So no getting shot in the head.”

“We’ll keep that in mind,” Shinji said. Turning to the others, he pointed out, “See, even more of a reason to avoid a frontal assault. You’re more likely to get insta-killed, and even Mouse can’t bring you back from that. Kyra, could you pull up a fog so we don’t get seen until we’re ready?”

Kyra smiled, answering simply with a demonstrative wave of her hand as the white near-opaque fog rose up around them. “Don’t get lost.”
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:03 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Kyra Bessant

"Don't get lost," Kyra warned with a smirk as the fog gathered in so close that even she could barely make out the other kids. She put her feet back on the ground and opened the door to the gym. "That said, the fog isn't exactly inconspicuous inside the gym."

"The girl's got a point," Shinji drawled as he followed her out and the Frozen Yogurt and Mouse shuffled out after him. "Alright Diva, show us what you got!"

This waswhat she had. Using her ability wasn't exactly Kyra's thing, or it hadn't been, but now it was. Right? It felt kind of cool to push the fog out across the school. No, not cool. It felt... happy. Crazy. Kind of ecstatic, like it didn't even matter that there were people charging around with guns because there was fog in the air and clouds gathering in and-

"Woah, steady on there," FroYo cautioned.

"Chill, I've got this," Kyra mumbled but she did ease up a little on the whole fog of destruction thing.

"How are we getting out?" Mouse asked. "Which gate?"

"Back gate?" FroYo suggested.

"That would seem all nice and cosy safe now wouldn't it? But see, that's what they want you to be thinking. If we get to thinking that then we'll still be here and singing Christmas carols come baby Jesus' birthday. If we want to avoid the frontal assault and the insta kill then we're gonna need to go out the front gate!"

"Even you've got to realise how ridiculous that sounds, Shinji." Frozen Yoghurt drifted through the fog and left little ice bubbles in his wake as he experimented with freezing her weather.

"Maybe we can climb the walls?" Mouse suggested.

"Hey I know, why don't we climb the walls?" Shinji suddenly put an arm around Mouse's shoulders and the small girl let out a surprised yelp. "Good thinking, Mouse. You can be the brains of the operation."
Writing Gooder

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson