Timeline

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed May 27, 2015 11:51 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

T I M E L I N E

Greetings.

The following information is highly confidential. Do not share this letter with anyone else.

You have been selected to participate in, quite possibly, the most anticipated event in all of human history. The risks are great and your doubts are certainly many, but I can assure you that your (please excuse the pun) time will be well-spent.

Due to the unfortunate circumstances we are currently dealing with, I have no time to “fluff-up” the facts or present them to you in any suspenseful matter. All I ask is that you find a comfortable place to sit, alone, before you read the next sentence.

Time travel, a whimsical concept that has been touched upon by countless writers, scientists, historians, and movie producers across the globe, is now possible. In fact, it has been for several years. Six years ago, our scientists at Critech successfully sent a guinea pig a minute back in time. Since then, groups of four employees have explored Ancient Egypt, observed the construction of the Great Wall of China, and witnessed the first gunshot of the American Revolution.

Now it’s your turn.

We are asking that you temporarily drop your studies, training, teaching, or whatever it may be immediately, and arrive at the front door of our headquarters tomorrow by 6:00 AM (Mountain Timezone). Sooner is better, for what we are dealing with at the moment is an emergency, and we desperately need your help.

You will see also enclosed within this envelope a plane ticket to ensure your speedy travel, free of cost. Pack what you will need for the plane ride only and nothing else, for we will provide the rest. A hired taxi driver will be waiting at the airport to drive you to the facility. If everything goes as planned, tomorrow will be the only day you will be absent from home: tomorrow night you may fly back. This is due to the wonders of time travel.

We cannot expect you or any of the other selected participants to arrive tomorrow. If, for some unimaginable reason, you do not wish to travel back in time to the place many of you have dedicated your life to studying, you can simply stop reading, zip your lips, destroy this document, and return to your tedious life of teaching, learning, training, or whatever your job requires. On the other hand, I’m sure that most of you will snatch up this opportunity with zeal. In that case, read on.

How has the world been so unaware that time travel is indeed a reality, you may ask? I must be brief on my explanation, for as I mentioned, this is an emergency and I am pressed for time. However, explaining these things to you via this letter will save the precious time needed to prepare you for your adventure. (Time is still priceless, mind you, even with the invention of time travel.)

I’m fairly certain that every employee here at Critech knows how to keep a secret, even a secret as great as ours. After all, not one press member has ever alighted upon the doorstep of our headquarters with any idea of what was brewing underground. That’s partially due to the fact that we’re located on and below a plot of sandy dunes somewhere in the middle of Arizona, where the temperature seldom drops below one hundred degrees and rain falls but once a year. I know for sure that when one scrap of truthful information about the Critech Company leaks out into the public, we’ll be on the national news within ten minutes. It’s something we have been dreading for a very long time. Our time for fame will come, but not yet.

Yesterday was Critech’s first annual “Bring Your Kids to Work Day,” and as a whole it went smoothly. But then I permitted several families to stay overnight, and that’s where I really messed up. We hadn’t planned on extending the event into a sleepover, and that’s what I told one of the scientists when he asked if his wife and two children could stay the night. But as he politely pressed me I saw his point: we were in the middle of the desert, far from any of the workers’ homes, the overnight workers’ dormitories were spacious enough, and there was still a lot to show the wide-eyed kids. I foolishly gave into that one scientist, and gradually ended up allowing seven more families to stay. Seven, dammit!

Before I give myself a concussion from repeatedly banging my head on this desk, I’m going to spit it out as quickly as I can.

Three of the smartest kids that stayed at the facility managed to time-travel themselves to their most adored times in history and the first one went to the American Old West in 1871 and the next one headed to 1095 in Medieval Europe and the last one went to visit the Han Dynasty.

We need your help. They need your help.

And strangely enough, time is of the essence.

Warmest regards,
John Paulsen
President of Critech Co.

T H E H A N D Y N A S T Y

Ancient China- a land filled with philosophy, agriculture, and knowledge. A civilization which set the standard for almost all future Asian cultures. However, being nearly two millennia in the past, this won't be just anybody's cup of tea. With nation torn apart, warmongering generals, deadly assassins, and scheming diplomats; the helpless kid who came here with pleasure (and no small amount of noodles) in mind just stumbled into one of the bloodiest wars in history...

Character slots~
Spoiler! :
Parent: (Rydia) Xiu Mei
Historian: (TheWanderingWizard) Professor Du Jieku
Armed Guard: (Megrim) Takahiro Matsumoto
Chinese Assassin/Mongolian Warrior (kidnapper): (NPC)
Emperor's Son/Daughter: (Buggiedude2340) Princess Qinghe
Kid: (SpiritedWolfe) Kun (Jacob) Mei

T H E M I D D L E A G E S

Welcome to Medieval Europe, the land of princesses, castles, and cool guys like Robin Hood. On the other hand, it’s also the land of the Black Plague, the bloody Crusades, and malicious knights in rusted armor. This poor kid who thought it might be fun to hang out with knights or looked forward to catching a glimpse of a fire-breathing dragon is in for a surprise. A big surprise.

Character Slots~
Spoiler! :
Parent: (NPC) Cecilia Shleifer
Historian: (TheWanderingWizard) Dr. Sam L Pearce
Armed Guard: (SpiritedWolfe) Garett Madison
Medieval Peasant: (Tuesday) Arabella Thea Emeline
Medieval Kidnapper: (Chaser) Percival Thorn
Kid: (Wolfie36) William Shleifer

T H E O L D W E S T

It’s only a few centuries from the time we know as home. Cattle peacefully graze along fertile plains and are driven through dust storms and clouds of locusts. Young cowboys and gunslingers gamble, drink, and debacle, eventually taking their disagreements to the middle of the street at high noon. Native Americans resort to war in order to reclaim their precious land, the land that they owned first. It’s a classic Western film from the fifties - until a bit of sci-fi is thrown in and a kid from 2015 enters the scene.

Character Slots~
Spoiler! :
Parent: (NPC) Jim Meyers
Historian: (Wolfie36) Wyatt Burado
Armed Guard: (Noelle) Ada Bolan
Outlaw Kidnapper: (Wonderwoman) Jacklin Brooks
Native American: (Pretzelsing) Magenta Huli
Kid: (Falconer) Elizabeth Meyers

EXPLANATION OF CHARACTERS

-The KID should be somewhere between ages 8-12. They’re the intelligent son or daughter of an employee at the Critech Time-Traveling Lab.
During their overnight stay, the three kids somehow manage to successfully transport themselves to their favorite parts in history, expecting that their parents would come and rescue them right away. Although their parents are more than eager - desperate, really - to risk their lives to go and save them immediately, strict time-traveling regulations say that a professional historian and an armed guard must be in tow.

-The PARENT is a brilliant worker at the Critech Lab, who rather foolishly showed their kids a little too much about time-traveling. They’re probably a scientist or engineer who works on improving the time-traveling system. Gladly, they step up to join the expedition to find their child.

-The HISTORIAN is one of the best experts in the world in regards to knowledge about their specific time period. Naturally, they would be absolutely thrilled to be able to visit the actual point in history.

-The ARMED GUARD is a specially trained fighter who is there to protect the parent, historians/paleontologists, and kid once they find them. They should probably have specific training for whatever time period they are traveling to. For instance, the guard venturing into the Old West will probably know how to handle rifles and pistols extremely well, particularly while on horseback. The one for the Middle Ages would be an excellent archer, swordsman, and lancer.

-The CHINESE ASSASSIN/MONGOLIAN WARRIOR, MEDIEVAL KIDNAPPER, and the OUTLAW KIDNAPPER are, essentially, the prime antagonists in the Han Dynasty, Middle Ages, and the Old West, respectively. They’re what makes it rather difficult to find and rescue the kid.

-The loyalties of the MEDIEVAL PEASANT, EMPEROR'S SON/DAUGHTER, and the NATIVE AMERICAN are up to you. They can either try to help the rescuers or assist the kidnappers.

There are different character forms to fill out for different characters, so when you have reserved a slot and are ready to create your character, be sure to choose the right one.

Form for the Kids and Parents:
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Time Period:[/b]
[b]Slot to Fill:[/b] (Parent or Kid)
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Character's Parent/Kid:[/b] (depending on whether it’s the parent or kid, can be left blank until you have planned with someone)
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]

Form for the Historians and Armed Guards:
Spoiler! :
[b]Slot to Fill:[/b] (Historian, Armed Guard, etc.)
[b]Reasons why they were selected:[/b] (What makes your character so good at their job that they were hired to help?)

Form for everyone else:
Spoiler! :
[b]Slot to Fill:[/b] (Outlaw Kidnapper, Native American, etc.)
[b]Alliance:[/b] (Friend, foe, or unknown)

At the beginning of each post, please remember to state your character’s full name and the setting. If you want to use the precise code I'm using, try this:
[b][small-caps][size=175]Character Name[/size][/small-caps][/b]
[i]Time Period: Specific Setting[/i]

To reserve a character, discuss the plot, or ask a question, head to the DT: Timeline DT

For simplified information on each of the time periods featured in this storybook, check out this WFP.

Note: This storybook is inspired by Michael Crichton's novel of the same title, hence the name of the time-traveling company, Critech.

Above all, have fun (and follow the rules)!
Last edited by Wolfi on Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:21 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

William Shleifer
Arizona 2015, 12:57 PM: Critech Underground Lab

“I don’t know, Will. I really don’t think this is a good idea.”

William cocked an eyebrow. “You’re the one who said you liked cowboys.”

“I do like cowboys, it’s just -”

“Come on.” He lightly punched Liz in the arm. “You gotta take risks to get what you want, and in this case, you gotta trust me if you want to see the Old West.”

Another boy poked his head around the corner. “What’re you guys doing?” he asked.

Will whirled around. “Shh!” he said. He tried to see who the new guy was, but the corridor was too dark. “Who are you?”

“I have two names, so, uh, Kun or Jacob.”

“Huh. Neat.”

“What’re you doing?” Kun said again.

“He wants to time-travel,” Elizabeth said.

“Can you keep a secret?” Will hissed. He turned back to Kun, “But yeah, she’s right. I’m going to the Middle Ages and she’s going to the Old West.”

Will could hear Kun laugh, which irritated him. “And what makes you think you can do that?”

Will crossed his arms. “I know how we can do it. I practically live here in the summer, with nothing better to do than plan and snoop around.”

“And I assume that in your planning you’ve realized how dangerous time-traveling is? Didn’t you hear that Paulsen guy describe the decapitated guinea pig that came back one time, with its guts spilling out?”

“He’s right,” Liz whimpered. “Too dangerous...”

Will shook his head. “That was one of the first guinea pigs they sent, when the system was still rusty. Has a human ever been harmed? No. The only recorded side effects are stuff like dizziness and stomach aches.”

“What about when you get there? How do you know someone won’t impale you with a sword? How will you get back?”

This guy with the deep voice was really getting on his nerves. “When we transport ourselves back in time, this whole place will be vibrating. I’ve felt it before. Our parents will freak out and come after us right away. We’ll be fine, right, Liz?”

“I don’t know...” she said.

Will checked his watch, clicking on the button so that it would glow in the dark. One o’clock. It was time to get into the lab and set up the coordinates. But this Kun/Jacob guy - what should he do with him? Most likely the guy’ll rush back to the dormitories and let the cat out of the bag before Will and Liz could leave. Liz hadn’t been in the original plans, but this guy definitely wasn’t.

“Say, uh, Jacob,” Will said. “What’s your favorite time period?”

No way,” Kun said.

Will sighed. “Fine. Are you going to come to watch us go, at least?”

~*~

Will lead them down a few flights of spiral staircases until they came to the double doors of the main transporter chamber. He thought that the doors were oddly generic for their significant purpose.

He reached out for the handle and pulled. Locked.

Kun laughed. “Nice, you can’t even get inside.”

Will smirked, pulling out a security card from his pocket. He slid it through the keypad on the right side, and the doors unlocked. They went inside and he flipped on all the lights.

“That was easy,” Liz said, gazing down at the row of three transporter cylinders. High-tech screens framed the central stage where the cylinders were erected, each one having come to life when Will flipped the switches. To the left, a giant wire cage teeming with squeaking guinea pigs rested on a counter, and to the right, the main control panel’s hundreds of buttons flickered and glowed.

Will could feel his heart thumping excitedly in his chest. In just a few minutes, he thought, he could meet a real knight. He could rescue a real princess. He could see a real castle. I hope Mom doesn’t come to get me right away, he thought.

He glanced back at Kun, who was standing in the back with his arms crossed. “You know, man,” Will said, gesturing at the cylinders, “there’s one for each of us.”

Kun shook his head.

Will turned his back and climbed down the stairs to the main control panel. “Darn, you must really despise history,” he said, fidgeting with a few buttons.

“I do not!” Kun said.

Will grinned, his back still turned. “Is that so? I wouldn’t expect anyone but a failing history student to miss an opportunity like this.”

Kun bristled. “Look, little kid, I don’t know who you think you are or why you think this is a good idea, but I’m not killing myself to see the Han Dynasty, even though it looms in my dreams every night and my heritage is soaked in it. If I work here someday, then I can travel back in time. Legally, safely. Not now.”

“The Han Dynasty, eh?” Will punched a few extra buttons. Then he looked over everything carefully, scrutinizing the screen and scrolling through the list of commands. “Perfect,” he said. “Guinea pig time.”

~*~

The rodents squeaked when he open the cage. “Come here, little guys.” He lifted a fat brown one from the woodchips and placed it in Elizabeth’s arms.

“I’ll name him Doc Holiday,” she said, crooning as she stroked his fur.

Will took another animal for himself. “This one looks like a girl. She’ll be Joan of Arc.”

Liz reached into the cage and pulled out a third guinea pig, holding it out in Kun’s direction. “Come and get yours,” she said. “What’re you going to name him?”

Kun humored her, and stepped forward to accept it. “Liu Bei,” he said. “Hero of the people. What are these for, anyway?”

“So we can actually time-travel,” Will said. “There’s always a crack in the system, and this -” he lifted his guinea pig “- is it.”

“I don’t get it,” Kun said.

“When time-traveling was first invented in this lab, the experiments required lots and lots of guinea pigs, as you probably know. But every time they needed to send them somewhere back in time, the scanners had to scan the animal and the scientists needed to punch in all these codes and passwords in order to initiate the transporters. For each little guinea pig, the process grew tiresome. So they hid a little ‘cheat’ in the scanner system. Immediately when the scanner detected a guinea pig in the cylinder, all the codes and passwords were accounted for. It made experiments considerably easier.”

“So you’re saying that all you need is a guinea pig with you, and it’ll work?”

“Yep. Otherwise, all the codes are a pain. You need dozens of passwords and permission from authority to activate anything. And the scanners detect stuff you can’t have when going back in time, such as metal or technology. Oh! That reminds me...” He took off his watch and laid it on the counter next to the cage. “That wouldn’t have been good. Elizabeth, if you have any jewelry on, take it off before we go.”

Will, Joan of Arc still in his arms, headed over to the main control panel to check things over one last time. “Good, good, good..." he muttered to himself. "Alright, I think we’re ready.”

Liz gripped her guinea pig tentatively. “You think we’re ready?”

“Naw, I know.” Will bounced on the balls of his feet. Man, he was excited. “I’m going to press this button right here, and then the transporters will open. You’ll see the horizontal scanner going up and down. Hold your guinea pig on the top of your head and jump in when the scanner is at the top of the cylinder.” He was afraid he was talking too fast, so he took a deep breath and slowed down. “The scanner goes pretty slowly so you’ll have plenty of time. After it detects the pig, the doors will close and 2015 will soon be far away.”

He positioned Elizabeth in front of the right-hand cylinder. She was shaking, but an adventurous glint was shining in her eyes. “What will I do with Doc Holiday once we get there?” she asked.

Will hadn’t really thought about that, so he shrugged. “Let him run free, keep him as a pet, cook him for dinner, whatever.” He gestured towards the next cylinder. “This’ll be mine, and this one -” he was standing in front of the transporter on the left, grinning, “- goes to the Han Dynasty.”

“Darn kid,” Kun said. But he was smiling.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Princess Qinghe
Han Dynasty: The Princess's Private Chambers

Qinge had just placed the finishing touch--a pastel green ornament carved like running water--in her hair when the servants knocked on her door. The sound was timid, like someone trying to shout over the mountains for an echo, but not yelling quite loud enough.

"Princess," one of the servants called, opening the door as she spoke, "we've come to--oh. You're already done."

One glance at the bundles in the servants' arms told Qinghe everything. She pasted on her court smile and beckoned the girls closer.

"Lady Bian sent you, didn't she?" Qinghe whispered.

The girls all nodded.

Cringing Qinghe wished that it had been her father or brother who'd ordered this nonsense. At least then, upon refusing, she could claim their inexperience with women's fashion as the excuse. But it was Lady Bian who'd ordered this, and nothing would change that, not even a day of praying.

"Well, what Lady Bian wants, Lady Bian gets. Let's do it her way."

The servants set upon Qinghe, tugging at her hair and washing off her face. All the while, the princess just sat quietly, her gaze fixed on the room.

She kept her quarters clean and free of decoration for a reason. Her brothers could break anything they touched, both by accident and on purpose. And since so many of Qinghe's decorations were really her treasures, she kept them locked up or out of reach. In this room, only an elaborate glaive and large fan were mounted on the walls.

It did not take long for the girls to get Qinghe dressed up. As they adjusted her hair and replaced the running-water ornament (it was proclaimed much prettier than what Lady Bian sent), the servants ran through their usual talk of how docile and agreeable the princess was.

"She isn't nearly as fussy as Lady Bian," one of them said. "And from what I hear, she's even more easy-going than most of her brothers."

Qinghe giggled slightly at this. As a child, she'd thrown tantrums every time she saw a makeup brush. It wasn't until she learned how to do the work herself that she stopped blowing her top at the servants.

"Oh! The princess looks so pretty when she smiles naturally!" cooed another servant. Qinghe immediately turned her face placid.

Someone made one last tug at her hair, and then the servants bid their goodbyes and bustled out of the room. The last one to leave turned around just before closing the door and cupped a hand to her face.

"Lady Bian said to meet her in her private garden."

The door shut with a soft thud, and Qinghe was alone.

Though a few guards and servants accompanied her on the walk to Lady Bian's private gardens, they scattered the moment Qinghe passed through the gates. Apparently, private for the lady meant real privacy.

There were no people aside from Qinghe and, probably, Lady Bian, though the princess could not see her stepmother. Cautious, Qinghe took a few steps along the path that winded away from the entrance. The paths were the only spots of dirt in the garden; everything was covered by grass or moss or rocks.

As Qinghe reached the top of the first hill, the pond came into view. The water, still as stone, reflected the trees and rocks of the surroundings. Only the sky showed hints of any color aside from grey or green.

"Ah, there you are," said a voice. Qinghe whipped around, fully expecting the sharp-faced Lady Bian. Naturally, it was.

"You're so green I had a hard time finding you," the lady said. "I really ought to have thought through this clothing choice a bit longer." For a moment, Lady Bian studied the ensemble. Then she jerked backwards, eyebrows raised. "That's not the ornament I sent."

Immediately, Qinghe brought up a hand to cover the running-water ornament. "Erm, well, I thought it might suit the robes better."

"I like it. You have my approval. But really, if your fiance is sending you gifts, you should tell me! I like to know what's in my stepdaughter's wardrobe."

Qinghe beamed and nodded, mentally promising that she would never tell Lady Bian she'd ordered the piece herself.

"Actually, that doesn't look like something Xiahou would buy. He's never been big on the river motif." Lady Bian leaned in closer. "Wait a minute. A green river? You ordered this yourself, didn't you?"

Tittering, Qinghe whispered that she might have possibly wanted something like it.

"You and your wordplay," Lady Bian muttered. "I should have known. It's a good joke though. You still have my approval."

What a relief. Qinghe let out a long sigh and admired a pine that knelt and swayed over the pond. If she strained her eyes, she could just spot the bright orange fish wriggling and swimming underneath.

Then Lady Bian clapped her hands, and Qinghe snapped back to attention.

"Well, enough of this. I summoned you so that I could talk you through the final decisions on your upcoming wedding. We've set the date, finally, and you're going to see the tailors tomorrow, for the robes. We also have to begin ordering the wines and more expensive dishes for the banquet, so I expect to see you bright and early tomorrow."

The conversation continued for a while longer, with lots of expounding on prior details, and lots of grunting and 'yes, honorable mother's from Qinghe's end. How Lady Bian's voice never ran hoarse, Qinghe would never comprehend.

Eventually, Qinghe found her way out of the gardens. She appreciated Lady Bian's taste, but the lady herself was not particularly good for conversation. Wishing that the day might last longer, so Qinghe could avoid the next, she trudged back to her quarters with quiet footsteps.

When she arrived, she nodded at the guards and let them open the door for her. Light shot into the darkness of her quarters, showing that the door from her antechamber was open. As was the next door in the next room. And the next, too, so that she could see all the way to the tiny patch of gardens Qinghe claimed as her own.

She blinked a few times, and then walked inside. It was not impossible that she, or a cleaning servant, had forgotten to close the doors. Rather, Qinghe's forgetful streak made it a frequent occurance. But that many? It seemed a bit odd.

Confident that her robes would muffle her footsteps, Qinghe shuffled through her rooms, finding every door open. She gave up after the first few though, and turned around to go to her garden and sit.

And there was the intruder, standing in the light so that his shadow was long, and his face dark.

Putting on her 'mean-older-sister' face, Qinghe stepped closer to the person. His features came into focus, turning young and childish, and completely unfamiliar.

When she was only a few steps away, she bent down slightly, looked the shivering boy in the eyes, and tilted her head sideways.

"I don't think you're one of my brothers."
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:14 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Carter Matsumoto
Arizona: Critech Underground Lab

Whhhhthkk.

He had the crossbow cranked and reloaded before the dummy stopped shaking. The second arrow sprouted beside the first, a pair of deadly wooden teeth buried in the gap between the ancient armor's scaled plates. He fired another two, this time into the thigh rather than the neck, to cripple his imaginary corpse.

This time of night, the firing range was empty. The long, high-ceilinged room was lit up only for Carter's benefit, stretching off in both directions with an array of historical dummies and terrain. His superiors had made their feelings about his late-night sessions quite clear, but the calm quiet of being the only living creature in the massive training center suited him. And if he didn't keep practicing, he had to go home--and if he went home, he didn't know what he would do with himself.

He loaded another arrow and raised to shoot, when suddenly the lights dimmed and flared. He lowered his crossbow, puzzled, but didn't have time to speculate before the alarms. The high-pitched wail cut through the air and echoed down the long training center. "Unscheduled cylinder activation," a computerized voice boomed.

Carter turned and scurried out of the Han Dynasty terrain, dropping his crossbow onto its rack with a practiced ease. Briefly, he wondered if someone from the future had arrived to visit them. Or perhaps a radical group had hijacked the cylinders to go back and bend time to their advantage. Or maybe it was just a mechanical malfunction, a false alarm, an automated drill. He wasn't sure whether he should feel worried, excited, or confused, but ultimately felt none of them. He was, perhaps, a little surprised, but otherwise alert and ready to do whatever was needed of him. He noted this about himself as he scaled the stairs, having always pondered what his response would be to a true emergency.

When he reached the guard station, he found Jones and Davidson barking orders over the comms and trying to make sense of the video feeds.

"Some of the visitors decided to wander," Jones said with a glance over her shoulder at Carter. "Managed to figure out how to activate the cylinders. I've been told the signal went three ways, and I remember at least one of them was the Han Dynasty. Looks like it's your day to shine, Matsumoto."

His mind became a hurricane of questions--Really? When? How? Why?--but he stared at his boss without faltering and calmly said a simple, "Okay." He didn't know why he couldn't let his excitement show, but his best justification was that this was a time to remain professional, confident, and in control. He had to be up to the task and prove he was the right man for the job.

After a minute or so, Jones glanced at him again. "No need to keep standing there. The scientists need to track our escapees and there's a lot to do to organize response teams. It's time travel--you don't have to leave right this instant. For all I know, maybe they're planning to go next year. In the meantime, get some rest. You're off duty, remember?"

But how could he rest, when he was finally going to step into a cylinder and see the Han Dynasty for real? It was almost beyond belief. Five years ago, he never would have imagined himself coming so far.

"I want to help," he said stubbornly. "There must be something that needs an extra pair of hands."

Jones gave an exasperated sigh. "If you're gunning for a promotion, don't hold your breath. But I suppose if you're determined to stay underfoot and deprive yourself of sleep, you may as well make yourself useful. The families staying here are all in a panic, and it's not helping anybody to figure out what's going on. You could go help keep them calm and safe, if you want."

"I'm on it." Carter gave a curt nod and headed for the guest quarters.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:36 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Xiu Mei
Arizona: Critech Underground Lab

"Yours is the oldest. I'm certain he bullied the other two into it, my poor boy, he must be so frightened! Oh what am I to do?"

Xiu Mei was in no doubt that her son was not the ringleader of this mischief - Kun was as quiet and sensible a boy as any parent could hope to have. Unfortunately, it had not prevented him from time travelling himself into the Han Dynasty. Of all the times and locations he could have chosen from- but what was the purpose in worrying about something which couldn't be changed? The past was the past. It was a shame other people didn't share her views on leaving it alone.

"We should be doing something, we shouldn't be standing here. When are they going to let us go after them?"

Cecilia Shleifer wasn't an entirely unbearable woman, or at least that was how Xiu Mei had felt when they worked together. Now that their children were missing and the company had them under guard while deciding what to do about it, she was proving to be a real bèn dàn.

Most of the other parents had taken their children home and Jim's wife had already arrived so they were stood at the other side of the room while Cecilia Shleifer paraded up and down in front of Xiu and made wild gestures with her hands.

"They could catch any manner of diseases while there or meet the wrong people or-"

"Or change the course of history?" Xiu Mei offered helpfully. She couldn't keep a sardonic smile from creeping over her features but she felt bad about it. Her own mind was a whirlwind of turmoil and she could understand Cecilia's need to flounce up and down the room and to make the outside world as crazy as the thunderstorm inside her head.

It wasn't Xiu's way to let all of her emotions fall out like that, but Cecilia hadn't been brought up with the most repressed, traditional parents China had to offer.

"Cecilia, I-"

"I am sorry about your situation." The voice was solid and masculine and drew all of their attention to the door where the silent guard had been joined by a younger man of mixed heritage. Mixed Chinese heritage.

"Will you be accompanying me to the Han Dynasty?" Xiu asked quickly, before Cecilia could interrupt with her spiraling questions.

"Yes. I mean perhaps, if they allow you to go. I am Carter and I will do everything I can to bring your son or daughter home."

Xiu raised an eyebrow at the Westernised name but her attention was more taken by the crossbow.

"Do you know which part of the Han Dynasty my son has sent himself to?" Xiu's voice wavered slightly as she recalled her history lessons and just how dangerous the 'golden age' of China had been. She closed her hand tightly around her lab coat and took a deep breath. "I am going with you. I am going to find my son."
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:09 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

Ada Bolan
New Mexico, 2015

Ada almost decided to rip up the letter. It said she could if she wasn't ready for what it was demanding of her.

This was something bigger than she could ever be a part of.

She was suddenly relieved that she had saved opening her mail for after class in the safety of her old Oldsmobile. Anyone looking over her shoulder would've thought she was crazy. There hadn't been any time to look through it before class -- she was late, as usual -- so she grabbed the envelopes from her box in the Student Center and stuffed them into her backpack. Now she was finally able to take a break and open it all.

The letter had stuck out between bills and flyers from student clubs she had no interest in joining. It intrigued her, but she wasn't so sure about the contents. She decided to keep reading anyway.

Ada laughed out loud when she reached the part explaining why they needed her help. "They can keep a secret but they don't guard their machines?"

There was really no way that she could help. She knew nothing about Egypt or China. Maybe she knew a bit about the Old West, but nothing more than shooting a gun and riding a horse and whatever she had learned from the western films her uncle always liked to watch.

Yet something about the letter spoke to her. It was time travel after all. Who wouldn't want to go back in time? No wonder the kids got to the machines. She probably would've too.

This was her chance; she had to accept it. It's not like it would take up any time. She'd return to the future at that very moment, no matter how many years it would feel like in the past.

Sighing, Ada picked up her cell phone and dialed her aunt's number. Aunt Sara answered after the first ring. "Hello?"

"It's me, Ada."

"Oh, honey! How lovely to hear from you. Are you leaving soon?"

"About that..." Ada squeezed her eyes shut before continuing. "I'mnotcomingtonightsomethingcameuppleasedon'tbemad." She hadn't lied to her aunt since she was six and ate the last slice of pie. Lying to her now wasn't any easier.

There was silence on the other end. "Uh, Ada honey, could you repeat that?"

Ada groaned. She had to get herself together. "Something came up. I have to be on campus tonight."

"That's quite alright dear," Aunt Sara responded. But no matter what kind of smile Aunt Sara was forcing on to her face at that very moment, Ada could hear the disappointment in her voice. "Tell you what. Essence's competition is local this weekend. How about coming out and spending the weekend to support her?"

"Sounds great, Aunt Sara. I'll see you Friday night. Love you." She hung up and leaned her head back on the headrest. Essence was her eleven year old cousin and a superstar dancer. Essence traveled the country dominating different competitions. She never let anyone in the family forget it either. The last thing Ada wanted to spend her weekend doing was watch eight hundred contemporary routines and listen to her cousin complain about almost falling out of her turns.

It's a small price to pay, considering. Ada reminded herself. She had kept the letter clutched in her hand the entire phone conversation. It now felt lighter and a new excitement bubbled inside of her. This was the kind of adventure she'd been looking for.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin