Young Writers Society

World War Dinosaur

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun May 10, 2015 3:35 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

World War Dinosaur, YWS Storybooks

I know, I make way too many SBs. Something about making them is a bit more fun than posting (or rather, waiting to post) in them. I'm not addicted or anything!

So... You thought the dinosaurs were extinct? Well you were wrong.
Long ago they roamed our planet, but one day they looked up at the stars and wanted something new. So they left. Nobody knows how, but they left our planet in search of a new one.
In the year 2045, strange ships appeared in the skies. They were there for days, just hovering intimidatingly. Humanity slowly grew more and more anxious, unease ruling the planet.
Suddenly, and finally, the ships moved. They floated down to the surface and landed. Humanity watched in horror as the ships' doors opened and strange mist flooded out, revealing their passengers.
The dinosaurs had returned.

They didn't demand to see our leaders. They didn't take us for experimenting. They didn't offer us advanced technology. They didn't do any of this because they weren't aliens, they were dinosaurs, and dinosaurs only know one thing.
Bloodshed.

Needless to say, war erupted as the dinosaurs tried to take back their old planet and humanity fought to keep the only home they had ever known.
The year is now 2054, nearly a decade after the dinosaurs' arrival, and the war still rages.
You, whether human or dinosaur, must fight for what you believe in. You must fight for the extinction of your opponents.

Rules:
- Keep it PG to PG-13. No swearing unless absolutely necessary, and don't overdo it. Nothing you wouldn't say at a funeral unless you're very disrespectful.

- World building is allowed, but not as encouraged as in other JKHatt SBs. Just remember, this is a dystopian Earth, not a completely fictional world, so familiar places will still be around (albeit in ruins).

- Keep all non-SB posts in the DT, and no double posting in the SB.

- Head all posts with the character's name and location. Like so: character, location

Here's the code:
Code: Select all
[b]character name, [i]location[/i][/b]

Other things...
You can be a human or dinosaur, but that doesn't mean that you have to fight for humanity or... dinosaurity? You can try and join the other side or form groups with similarly-minded individuals. Just have a good reason for not sharing your species's goal.
"I like donuts and only humans have donuts" isn't a good reason for a dinosaur to join the humans. (And don't worry, dinosaurs have invented donuts too.)

This brings up the topic of allegiances. Your allegiance can be either:
- Human Earth you fight for humanity to keep Earth
- Dino Earth you fight for dinosaurity to regain Earth
- Shared Earth you fight for equality and harmony amongst humans and dinosaurs
- Alone on Earth you could care less about who wins, so long as they don't find you stowing away on the planet when the war ends

Basic Character Page:
Code: Select all
[b]Human or Dinosaur?[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Height:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Life before Extinction War (if older than 10):[/b]

[b]Allegiance:[/b]

NOTICE:
May 12, 2015

The name of this SB has been officially changed to "World War Dinosaur", thanks to @niteowl's help. I felt that this name better described the SB's story and would hopefully pull in more participants (despite sounding a bit silly).
Despite this name change, the war can still be referred to as the Extinction War (and it will be remained so named in the basic character pages.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:42 am
Tuesday says...

Michelle Kansas- A year or two before the WWD started

Mobile phones were the hit of the black market. People were scurried around the floor, their arms filled with phones with broken screens and missing number buttons. The people also looked sick or week, coughing as they ran with puffy faces beneath the dirt that still there. Being in the late hits of the 2043, everything was new or upgraded from what it was 20 years ago. It was the future and papers were not even here, plus the clothes were newly old.
I, however, was only 17. Meaning, I had no job, money was evenly given on Yunu (Monday) to everyone in green, perfect mailboxes, and you had to live in a crowded house for the rest of your life. People in these houses, were nonetheless annoying and cruel, but we all had problems with family. The sad part was that in these homes was that two people had to share a bed, even though people were whine about it. I never did and I was glad I hadn't.

One day, I was running down the street with a backpack, trying to get to my class before the bell had rang. While running, I had heard voices speaking- or whispering- in a room with covered windows and a open door. I stopped running, ignoring the bell that rang over the speakers that were overhead and stopping at the side wall of the building. I listened as closely as I could to what they were talking about- whoever they was.
"Listen.. they are coming soon.. time is short as most things are."

"Still doesn't matter... if they come soon, people here will freak out and leave.. the government would never like that."

What would the government not like? I asked myself as I slipped through the door, quietly. I hid behind a box, looking at the screen while the first person was pointing. The screen was bright but somehow I could make out a island, with red arrows slowing darting their way to it.

"We should move them out... within the minutes of it coming.... people would die."

"We need people to fight against them, if anything, the people would have died in the war against these lizards. And you know that."

"All I know is that, life will end in 2 years and everything we will love, will be gone."

"So what? Life is life and we can regrow life from what it is. And nothing with stop us."

The second person was going to say something when the box I was on, decided to give out and fall. It thumped making both people turn around, staring at me while I looked up and sheepishly waved.

"Hello," I stated as I stepped back, soon turning into a run out of the building with the two people shouting at each other to get me. I looked back, panting before reaching a corner of another building. What did they mean by lizards and a war? I asked myself as the two people ran back into their building. I had known something bad would be lurking in this town, and as the person had said, war would be two years away. Not far enough for me to worry as much as I am now.
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:01 am
Basil says...

Catha, ruined city – present day

With legs hooked around a piece of metal attached to the building, hanging upside down, I can see everything in an abstract kind of way. Surreal. That’s how it is. The sky is the ground, so peaceful and pale blue, with the sun out of sight, and no white, fluffy clouds scurrying to their destination. The ground is now the sky, so chaotic and busy. The rubble of old buildings covers broken roads and footpaths. Grass had grown through the cracks, but now, in summer, it is brown and dead. The trees here are young, maybe five or so years old, and sway gently in the soft breeze. The world is silent, with only the sound of dripping water in the distance disturbing the complete silence.
Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes, focusing on the air entering and leaving my lungs. I mentally scan my body from my toes to my head and let my mind empty. And this is how I meditate. This is how I ground myself, and keep myself from losing my sanity. I’m amazed that after ten years I’m still sane. Rough around the edges and certainly not right from isolation, but at least I haven’t gone completely schizo. I’m not broken, although I wouldn’t say I’m intact. I’d say I’m more like a worn rug, with the frayed edges, but I still look normal. All I need is to be taken outside and fluffed and beaten, and then I’ll look better. Which, in a way, is what I’m doing now. Cleansing myself. Submerging my mind in the clarity of the –
“Check that building over there!”
My peace is shattered. My eyes snap open and I glare in fury at the group of ragged people running about on the street. There is a man watching, wearing a long tattered coat and boots with a full head of hair and a rugged beard. I see a tall, wiry young girl race into a building, her ripped shirt and pants thin and frail. An older man limps toward my building, his ripped trench coat clinging to his underfed body desperately. Another young man is darting around, checking behind the larger pieces of building on the ground, probably for Dinos or people hiding. After checking the immediate area, he races over to the old man. I watch them curiously as they climb over the concrete almost blocking the hole in the building. Craning my neck, I watch them walk underneath me and into the darkness. If they’d looked up, they would have seen me. If I believed in luck I’d say it was that. I blame their lack of intelligence.
I don’t dwell on that thought long, though. My immediate concern is what to do. Sure they disturbed my peace, but their presence grounds me also in a way. I’m not alone in this world. There are dangers around every corner. Sure the world was dangerous before the Dinos came, but now, not only are there selfish humans looking out only for themselves and trying to stay alive, doing all they can to do so, but there are reptilian and bird creatures wanting our world, trying hard to take it over, and killing us as they go. Some want to share the world, human and Dino alike. But this isn’t Dinotopia. Dinosaurs and humans can’t coexist. They didn’t millions of years ago when dinosaurs first roamed the Earth, they can’t now. However, I don’t think humans did a good job of keeping the world intact. It was in shambles when the dinosaurs got here. I’d say it’s only getting better.
The problem at hand: what to do with these humans that are walking around. Nothing. They’ll leave. And if they stay the night, I’ll just move off to somewhere else. If they find me, I’ll either run, or kill them. I’ve done it before, I can do it again. Killing is almost natural now. In the back of my mind somewhere, I know that’s wrong. But the world has changed. What is wrong is now survival, and what is right could cost you your life. Laws no longer exist. It’s survival of the fittest. I don’t enjoy it, but I’ve grown used to it. And I’m content to live the rest of my life like that. To die alone, however the world is when I do. My only goal is to die from natural causes, not from being careless.
“Hey Grandpa, what’s that up there?” A voice whispers.
I freeze. The young man has either spotted me, or they’ve found something else.
“Where, Jack, I don’t see it,” the old man wheezes out in a gravelly voice. It makes me wince.
“Up there!” After a pause, the boy adds, “It looks like a person.”
Uh-oh, they have found me.
“Sh, Jack, it may be a trap,” the old man says in a quiet growl. “Go get your father.”
The young man, Jack, comes into my line of view again. As he walks under me, our eyes connect. I glare at him, my violet eyes blazing, and his brown ones widen in surprise. At first I think he’s going to run off and get his father, but he doesn’t. He looks like he’s around my age, maybe a bit younger, and he looks every bit the survivor all humans these days do. Only he looks feral, not wild like I am.
“Hello,” he says softly. “What’s your name?”
Very slowly, I reach my arms up to grab a hold of the metal pole my legs are wrapped around. Letting my legs straighten, I swing my body around and let go of the pole, the momentum propelling me onto the ledge I’d lept off onto the pole a few hours ago. My aim is to run off, but the boy starts calling out. Well, looks like some Dinos will have four less people to worry about.
Racing through the room I’m in, I come to where a window once was and leap out of it. I land on a huge piece of concrete from the wall, and roll, spreading my weight through my body and taking the pressure off my legs so I don’t break them from the impact. Rolling onto my feet, I keep running and jump onto the road, doing the same thing, only pulling out the metal poles as I jump up. The man with the beard stares in surprise at me before grabbing a piece of metal from the ground. I tilt my head to the side, wondering how he plans to win against me. Why would I carry weapons if I didn’t know what I was doing?
“Don’t worry, we will honour you,” he says. “We’ll use your flesh for blankets, your hair for rope, your clothes for our clothes, your bones for weapons, and your flesh for our food.”
Oh man, I feel sick from hearing that. So these ones are cannibals. I guess I got slack, taking advantage of my knack for sensing the presence of other living things. Now that I’m aware of them, I realise there are actually five people.
Spinning around, I press a small button on my weapons and thing blades slide out. As I swing them around with me, I push them forward. The woman behind me lashes out, her metal weapon clashing with the metal pole in my right hand, but the left one finds its mark, slicing across her face. Blood spurts from the cut, and she screams in agony. Still moving, I fend off the man running at me as I spin around again, and take out the woman behind me on my second spin by slicing open her throat. Completing my second three-sixty degree turn, I deflect the man’s second hit and parry, my right arm straining against his strength while my left arm shoots forward, the pole going straight through his gut. I push it forward until my fist is nearly touching his gut. I pull the blade back and let him fall to the ground.
“No, Jack!” A female voice screams.
Without even looking, I spin the pole around in my hands and hit something. I whirl around to see Jack go flying, his head tilted back almost too far. The girl with the frail clothes comes sprinting over. I look around for the old man, and see him hobbling away, down the broken street, away from his family.
“You killed him!” The girl stares at me angrily, tears rolling freely down her face.
I don’t say anything, which seems to anger her. She picks up some concrete and throws it at me. I dodge, and she throws more. Again I dodge, my reflexes too quick for the heavy cement. The girl runs at me, unarmed, and I stare in amazement as she tries to punch me. I step away from her hits, avoiding her altogether. This seems to infuriate her more. She steps away from me, breathing hard. She picks up more concrete, and I step forward, gutting her deftly and quickly. She chokes and splutters before falling to the ground.
Do I enjoy killing? Absolutely not! But it is a necessity. I don’t just kill because I’m spotted, though. If I’m attacked, then you’re all dead. However, that being said, I will never attack an unarmed person if I’m armed. Somewhere under the thick mental armour and animal-like instincts, I still have morals. If I didn’t, I’d be losing touch with myself, with my humanity. That doesn’t really bother me, though, which in turn bothers me.
Glancing at the sky, I decide it’s time to go. I cast a look around the carnage for a second before disappearing. I hope I’ve learnt my lesson. Don’t be so slack.
But somewhere, deep down inside, I yearn for companionship. No, wait ... I just miss my family.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:22 am
Lefty says...

Emerson, Denver - 2045, nine years before present day - the night WWD began.

"Em," my mother shook me. "Emerson, wake up!"
"What?" I said lazily, opening one eye and yawning. "It's dark outside."
She pulled the covers down in one quick motion and grabbed my hand. "Get up. We have to go, sweetie."
I realized then that something was terribly wrong. The fast and frantic tone of my mothers voice, the desperate worry in her eyes as she looked at me, her eight year old daughter at the time.
I nodded and rubbed my eyes. I didn't know what was happening but I did know that whatever it was, it was bad.
"Now, Em. We have to leave now."
My mother grabbed my little pink backpack and stuffed a couple handfuls of clothes into it, then she shoved the backpack into my arms and threw my jacket at me. "What's wrong?" I'd asked, the knots in my stomach growing tighter with each passing minute.
"I don't have time to explain." Just then my father called up from the downstairs, reminding us that we had to get going. My mother grabbed my hand far to tightly and started pulling me out of my room. I managed to grab Teddy, my precious stuffed bear I'd had since I was born, off of my bed and my fathers golden pocket watch, which had been given to him by his father, from the dresser by the door before I was yanked completely out of my bedroom and into the hall.
Once down the stairs, my father handed my mom a duffle bag and nodded reassuringly at her. "We have to get as far away from here as possible." She nodded in understanding and whisked me out the door. The thing I remember most about that night was how afraid I was, and how afraid my parents were. They were always so calm and handled difficult situations well, but not this one.
We walked out into the calm, cool September night and I remember thinking how peaceful it was. How could something so bad be happening when the crickets were still chirping and the stars were still twinkling? Boy was I wrong.
"Get in, Em. Buckle up," she told me quickly as she hopped into the passenger seat. I nodded and did as she said just as my father slammed the door behind him and ran over to our minivan.
He turned the key in the ignition and the car roared to life, along with the radio, which was announcing an emergency broadcast. "This is Tom Sadler, D.F.L. News, reporting live from the site of the Denver Ship. This is breaking news. The ominous ships that have hovered above our homes and cities over the past five days have landed and the doors are opening. I repeat, the doors are opening. It appears that all of the ships have landed in major cities and we are calling for an emergency evacuation from the major cities and telling everyone to head north. At this time, we have not gotten reports that the ships over Canada have landed. There are army personnel surrounding the ships and we are waiting to see what exactly is inside."
I hugged Teddy tighter to my body as our van hurdled down the city streets. Dozens of cars also evacuating made the lanes much more congested than usual, especially for 2AM.
"The doors are almost open. I have been told that the men armed at the ready are prepared to use deadly force if nece-- what the hell is that? Oh dear god, is that a... dinosaur?"
The broadcast goes silent for a few moments. I remember my heart jumping from the shock of hearing that dinosaurs were inside the ship. I had just learned that week at school that dinosaurs hadn't roamed earth for millions of years. How could they be here now?
Suddenly on the broadcast, a loud roar echoed through the car speakers. A man yelled "fire at will!" followed by painful disturbing screams coming from soldiers. The kind you could only imagine coming from someone who was being tortured or in this case... eaten alive. My eyes widened and filled with tears. My mother promptly told my dad to turn off the radio, but he didn't comply.
"We have T-rexs here," the newscaster said franticly and panting. "Dozens of them. Triceratops and velociraptors along with others, are among them. My news crew is trying to get as far away from the action as we can while we let the military deal with the issue at-"
The radio went silent and we all sat quietly, holding our breathes. "We can't hold them! There's too many! Fall back! Fall back!" an army man yelled. Heavy breathing echoed through the speakers.
"Easy now. No one needs to get hurt." It was the newscaster again. "I'll just slip away and let you be. We can all be friends he-aahhh-" static crackled and we heard a thud from the microphone hitting the ground. More sounds followed that I still remember all too well, then the broadcast cut out.
My mother looked over at my dad. "Fall back? What does that mean?" Before he could answer, a dino-howl split the air behind us. My head whipped around to see a twelve-foot-tall triceratops barreling down the street. It swung it's head from side to side, ramming it into cars and tossing them aside with it's giant head and horns. I screamed at the top of my lungs. It was getting closer, heading straight toward us.
"Step on the gas, George!" My mother yelled, trying and failing to keep her cool. He weaved through cars until he managed to get onto the shoulder of the road where he slammed his foot to the floor and shot us forward at 90 miles an hour. It was hardly fast enough. I continued to watch, unable to tear my eyes away as it got closer and closer, throwing cars just like ours and leaving craters in the street where his feet slammed into the tar.
After a few moments, it was clear we were its next target.
"If we get to the bridge, we might be able to lose him," my mother yelled. My dad nodded and leaned farther over the steering wheel. The dinosaur unleashed its battlecry onto us once again. When it was finally coming up on our tail, my dad made a sharp turn onto the bridge and floored it. The TriTops almost went over the edge into the water below but managed to keep its footing and barreled toward us. It seemed as though my mother's plan had failed until we heard a loud crack followed by a sudden drop of the road. I let out another scream. The bridge could not hold its weight. The run for our lives was no longer escaping the giant creature behind us, but escaping the bridge before it completely collapsed, taking us with it.
The seconds ticked by at what felt like minutes, yet at the same time, past at an instant. The pavement shook and cracked under our wheels. We'd almost made it to the end when it gave way completely and our car glided in the air before landing on the hard ground on the other side. My dad swerved and slammed on the breaks and we came to an abrupt halt. My heart pounded in my chest and I watched as the TriTops plummeted into the water below, along with chunks of concrete and other cars who weren't so lucky.
We watched, numb, in awe, catching our breath and waiting for the adrenaline in our veins to calm down before continuing on our way. We we could hardly believe what we had just seen and it was at this very moment that we realized our lives had changed forever. World War III had finally happened, but not in the way anyone had expected. And we were right in the middle of it. Tears streamed down my face. I'd never seen or heard so many disturbing things in my life and everything I had experienced that night was something no one should have to endure, no matter how old they are.
We continued on our way, through the mountains, through the night. Surprisingly, we weren't too bothered for the rest of our trip until we made it just into the borders of Canada. But the war was hardly over and the worst was yet to come. After all, it had just begun.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken