z

Young Writers Society

Hunters

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sun May 10, 2015 3:26 am
View Likes
Que says...

In the gigantic city of Amaraz, there was far too much crime for any one place. The city, ruled by none, was in chaos. That was when the Hunters were first established. A loose organisation of assassins, they set out for justice. Each assassin has his or her own agenda, but targets have strongly been suggested by their mysterious leader. The Hunters have helped clear up Amaraz for a decade, yet crime is always rampant. New assassins are always being looked for and trained from a young age.

One day, an expert assassin decided to "resign". No one had ever done that before. Two days later, he disappeared. After that, the Hunters began disappearing more and more rapidly. One civilian reports seeing one of the "retirees" being shoved down a back alley.

Who are the mysterious kidnappers, and why are they weeding out the Hunters one by one? Only the best of the best Hunters are left now, and oddly enough nothing has really happened in over a month. Left troubled and uneasy, the Hunters of Amaraz are forced to contact the Detectives of Embelling, their rivals, for help. What will happen? Whose side are these Detectives on? What tensions will arise?

Something to know about the time era: This does not take place in modern times, so weapons for the Hunters would include crossbows, spears, swords, knives, and weapons of a similar time era. Basically, no guns or electricity. (Just to make you plan a bit more. :))

A basic character outline:
Spoiler! :
Age: (The Hunters are trained from a young age, but please don't make your character under 13 years old)
Appearance: Picture is optional, but a description must be included
Group: You can be a Detective, a Hunter, one of the mysterious kidnappers, or a civilian/criminal that is accidentally caught up in it
Personality:
Weapons: Does he/she have a preferred weapon?
Up for love?: This isn't necessary, but some people like to include it so it's up to you

Please write all of your posts in first person, past tense. If you have a problem with doing that, then you can let me know in the DT. Please make your headings like this:
Character's name, Character location
You should only need to make one character, although if killings occur, then I will allow you to make another one.

Also, although you may be an assassin or criminal, don't make any scene unnecessarily violent, just get the point across.

One final thing: if you are one of the kidnappers, then you may capture another character. However, both you and the other character need to work this out so that the captured character is not completely helpless. Also, decide upon whether or not the character is allowed to escape, because an easy escape would be boring and counterproductive. Ah, I can't really explain. If you have questions, let me know in the DT.
Est-ce que vous parlez français?

498 Reviews

Thu May 21, 2015 3:45 am
View Likes
Que says...

Aris Vonte, Amaraz

I darted silently through the streets of Amaraz, looking for that kid Felix. We had been called to a meeting, yet he was absent. So who was sent out to find him? Me, of course.

I sighed and sprang to the top of a crate, jumping up and up until I somersaulted onto a roof. I gripped my crossbow tightly as I ran lightly across the houses, scanning the ground. As I leapt the gap between to buildings, I saw him facing a younger criminal in an alleyway. I wasn't close enough to hear what they said, but I knew Felix was at the point of chickening out- again.

My eyes locked on the face of the criminal; the long scar on his face suggested that he had gotten away from me once. No one ever gets away from me. No one.

As Felix tucked his throwing knives away, I growled softly and loaded the crossbow. Two seconds later, the criminal was flat on his back in a pool of his own blood. Felix looked up in horror and astonishment.

I flipped down off the building to land at his side. "Linda called a meeting- we're late," I said with a griff voice. Felix still stared at me, wearing that stupid jacket of his.

"Aye, I'll just tell her the mission was completed. No need for details." I rolled my eyes. "But if she asks for specifics, I'm not going to lie."

Felix nodded, finally finding his voice. "A-alright then. Let's be off!" Together we jogged in absolute silence toward Hunter headquarters. Inside, we found the meeting in full swing.

I recognised some people, but many were strangers to me. There was one who stood out to me, a guy with watches covering his arms... When he saw me looming, he quickly shoved his coat sleeves down over the watches. Curious.

"...all we've been through..." Linda was saying. "Due to the recent kidnappings of our Hunters, we have decided to make peace with the Detectives."

Murmurs broke out across the room. I stated quiet and narrowed my eyes. Linda was my idol, the way she was able to track down and kill people with such ease was admirable. I couldn't believe that she'd make peace with the Detectives just like that... Of course, it had been the leader of the Hunters who really decided this, the one no one ever saw.

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Sun May 24, 2015 2:11 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Lydia - Linda - Scethal, Amaraz - Hunter's Headquarters

This isn't the first time I wished I could track down the elusive grandmaster of the Hunters. No doubt, he stands behind the scenes, pulling the strings to guide them along and barley keep them afloat. My job would be made so much easier if he were to just... vanish. Disappear from the scene and leave the rest for the picking.

But for now, I force a warm smile onto my face and greet my 'new allies'. A dozen or so Detectives pile into the lobby area of the HQ. From behind, I can feel the hostility radiating off the other Hunters. No doubt, this meeting will not be a cakewalk. Which is all the better for me.

"Aris isn't back with Felix," Malika mutters in my ear.

Without turning around, I snap, "They were both specifically told to be back before four. Besides, those who don't know will be rather... eager to find out why they are here."

She grumbles a smart remark that I can't make out -- which is good for her. I don't feel like skinning someone before dealing with a room full of agitated assassins.

Taking a cheery tone, I announce to both parties, "No need to delay, let's get this meeting in full swing, huh? Aris and Felix know where to go when they arrive."

Many gasps and groans rise up from the other Hunters while smug looks appear on most of the Detectives. As it may turn out, they went to them - or their leader did. For the war on pride, I bet the Hunters would all fall to the Kamur long before one decided to set aside the rivalry. Perhaps, perhaps.

I stifle a sigh. Focus on the job at hand now: successfully defuse the hostility within the meeting. Then, I can plot to spin this alliance on its head.

"If you would all follow me," I practically chirp. "It would be easier to settle the introductions in the meeting room."

Spinning on my balls of my feet, I turn and walk down the hall that leads to the grand room. While I make my way through those gathered, I encourage the other Hunters to be more welcoming to the Detectives, because there will not be a better time to dispel this hostility.

Eventually, I lead both parties down the meeting hall to make war - er, settle their differences. Surely it would be easier to let them duke it out? Eric* would say a burst of violence was better than suppressing intense hatred. Or perhaps that was to justify my rage-induced killing of one of our better men. Either way --

"Linda? Are you alright?"

Malika was tapping my shoulder and hissing into my ear as I stood blankly at the door right before the hall. Much of the room had fallen silent as well, waiting for the moment I would reanimate.

Letting out a shaking laugh, I spin around and reply, "Why, of course! Excuse the delay." Another pathetic laugh and self-conscious hair stroke later, I push the doors open and allow the two parties through.

While the rest pass, Malika gives me a confused look. "Are you sure? Last time you were like this, someone almost had their eye gauged out by a flying knife."

"Fine! Really," I assure her. "The faster we can get this reveal -- er, meeting -- over with, the better."

Though I doubt she is convinced, Malika just nods and follows the last person through the door, leaving me the last to enter. As expected, threatening glares cross the room from the Hunters in the back towards the Detectives, who all remain in the front as if I would guard them from the other's rage. If only they knew.

"Allow me to begin," I begin, making my way to front end of the table, closet to the Detectives. "I'm sure you're all wondering why these... people are here. And you all recognize them as none other than the Detectives."

A chorus of 'yeah's sounds from the gathered group of Hunters, so I clear my throat and continue. "Do keep in mind that we've have been running low on members, after all we've been through. Not many new members, losing old members, and it's hurt us. Especially due to the recent kidnappings of our Hunters" -- that hurt more to say than it should've -- " so we have decided to make peace with the Detectives. Team up with them, if you will."

My last sentence is long since drowned out by the sudden outbursts and cries from the Hunters. Protesting in anguish, anger, and even frustration. I want to lift my arms up and retort that it wasn't me. They can thank their own leader for this.

"Hey!"

The room becomes silent in an instant, as a frail Detective kid walks up. He stares across the room at all of us and takes a moment to comprehend how he so quickly got our attention. I even hear a pair of Detectives mutter something about how this kid, Gothen, hardly speaks up. Apparently this is all new and shocking, even to his other teammates.

"I know that you all don't like us much," he continues on. "Well, it's obvious. The rivalry has gone on for years, but we... we have to set aside our problems. How else are we going to insure Amaraz's safety? The only way is to work together and put a stop to these kidnappers, as neither of us can do it alone."

Another moment of silence spurred from shock passes and then a couple Detectives start a cheer. Then some Hunters grudgingly join in, until our small meeting of two dozen people is clapping for this guy. His cheeks flush red as he takes a step back.

As the crowd dies down, I take this as an opportunity to make a slight closing statement -- since this meeting isn't really up for debate. "Now that that's all said and done, I believe it would do some good to go around and try and meet some of our new allies. As I'm sure it will come in handy in the later training exercises we'll do together."

Finally, most of the tension in the room has ceased and some Hunters eagerly bounce over to the Detectives to start acquainting. Though, many others lag back, or just make their way in a more drawn out fashion to show their disgust. If my luck holds out, maybe some of them will never approve of this.

I notice Aris and Felix have made it back by now, situating themselves in a corner. I wonder how Felix's mission went. That kid really needs to learn to be ruthless a little. He'd be a perfect candidate if he'd loosen up a little when he's holding a knife.

"I don't like them," Aris says when I make it over there. "We shouldn't trust them."

"Well, trust me when I say I don't like it much either," I reply. "But the boss arranged it all and you have to do what he says."

Letting out a stubborn sigh, she folds her arms across her chest and scowls at the others down there. "Still. Why would he go to them, of all people? They're shady and-and we just shouldn't trust them."

I snicker. "Oh, calm down Aris. If it makes you feel any better, I'll keep my eye on them whenever they're around, alright? First sign of trouble, one of them is going home in a coffin and a knife in their throat."

Felix flinches at my comment. This entire time, he's stayed quiet, staring ahead at the Detectives. So I decide to push a little. After all, he may push back. "So, Felix. How did your mission go? Why were you so late that Aris, here, had to fetch you?"

"It was completed, that's what matters," he says with a shrug, not yet looking me in the eyes.

"That's it? How did it go?" I repeat. "Did you actually kill him?"

Aris casts a cold glare in his direction, before replying for him. "No. He was hesitating when I showed up, so I had to do it for him."

"Another?" I mutter. "Felix, dear. A Hunter's job is to kill the bad guys isn't it?"

His reply is so soft I can barely catch it. "The man had a family, too, that he was responsible for."

A groan gets caught in my throat as I fight to keep myself controlled. "I'm sure he did, but what about another? What if he turned into a killer and tore apart other families? What about them? Well, no matter. You have to get used to this kind of thing, especially with the Ka-- er, kidnappers about. Sometimes, you just have to be ruthless."

(*Eric is the lovely leader of the kidnappers/Kamur.)
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Mon May 25, 2015 1:05 am
View Likes
Noelle says...

Felix Szabo, Amaraz/Hunter's Headquarters

It wasn't until I saw the man's face that I realized I knew the guy. I'd seen him around before, walking the streets with his daughter. She was young, maybe even only five years old. How could I have robbed a little girl of a life growing up with her father?

I hesitated way too long and he was at too far of a distance for me to do anything. He hadn't seen me, of course, so I didn't have to worry about him knowing that the Hunters were after him. Someone else would get him eventually, right? Besides, he didn't do anything near as bad as some of the other criminals we had gotten rid of. If we could've let anyone go, he would've been the perfect option.

Suddenly an arrow caught him in the chest and he fell onto his back. A pool of blood collected quickly beneath him. I had to turn my head to the situation, to forget about it all. Good thing Aris chose that exact moment to come down from the rooftop. She was the one who got the kill. No one else was that good with a bow.

"Linda called a meeting," she informed me. "We're late. I'll just tell her that the mission was completed. No need for details. But if she asks for specifics, I'm not going to lie." I didn't blame her for that. I wouldn't have asked her to lie either. Even if it would've gotten me in trouble I was going to tell the truth. What was the point in lying if the truth would be found out anyway?

I nodded and tried not to think about the dead man a few feet from me, but I just couldn't shake the image from my mind. It rattled me. "A-alright then. Let's be off." I wanted to get away from the scene as fast as possible. I wanted to be free of that man's blood, even though I wasn't really the one who killed him. It didn't matter; I was supposed to, which means it was just as much my kill as Aris's.

I pulled off my hood as we ventured out into the streets. I wanted to lose the person I became on missions as quickly as possible. All of this was for the greater good, I knew, of the city. There was too much crime, too many ruined lives. Anything I could do to fix that, I would. I never imagined that it would be this hard.

We got to the headquarters building just in time to hear Linda announce that we had combined forces with the detectives. I shot Aris a look. What was the meaning of this? The detectives have never been on our side before; why were they now?

Linda made her way toward us eventually. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other. Something about her just didn't sit well with me. I couldn't tell if it was her demeanor or the way she talked or just the way she was. It didn't really matter in the end. She made me nervous no matter what was going on.

She and Aris were talking about the detectives and whether they could be trusted or not. I didn't see a reason not to give them the benefit of the doubt, but we had to be careful. There was a reason why the Hunters never teamed up with the detectives before. And I was afraid that we might've ended up running into that exact reason.

Linda snickered at something Aris said. "Oh, calm down Aris. If it makes you feel any better, I'll keep my eye on them whenever they're around, alright? First sign of trouble, one of them is going home in a coffin and a knife in their throat."

I flinched involuntarily. Who would even think of doing such a thing? I wouldn't even joke about something like that. Had Linda ever really killed someone, looked in their empty eyes and seen the life she ripped from them? That's what I was being forced to deal with every day. Some days I wished that I had been granted a mindless heart. Then I could've been the ultimate killer, what every Hunter was supposed to be.

Linda asked about my mission next. I was hoping she wouldn't. Aris, as she promised, didn't hold back. She told her everything, about finding me and having to finish off the job. It sounded a lot more pathetic once it was said out loud.

"That man had a family too, one he was responsible for." I said, hoping that it would somehow make my actions more acceptable. But what was I thinking? Linda wouldn't accept that at all.

Sure enough, she didn't look pleased. "I'm sure he did, but what about another? What if he turned into a killer and tore apart other families? What about them? Well, no matter. You have to get used to this kind of thing, especially with the Ka-- er, kidnappers about. Sometimes, you just have to be ruthless."

I had a list of retorts for her, but I held them back. This wasn't the time or place to argue. I knew that I wouldn't win anyway. We didn't think the same, didn't even feel the same. That's not something I was ashamed of, but rather proud of. The farthest from Linda's personality I could get, the better.

"Well you two," she said. "I should get around to the others. Make sure tensions aren't running high." She smiled at Aris, but gave me a hard stare. I stood my ground. I'm not about to be intimidated by her. Not until she does something worth it, that is.

I sighed and plopped into a chair. Aris sat next to me, staring straight ahead. "Told you I wouldn't lie," she said. "And she's right, you know. Could do you some good to toughen up."

I shook my head. "You know me, Aris. These people we're going after are more than just criminals. I've seen some of them around the city. How can I do this to them?"

"Because it's your job," she responded certainly. "Don't you forget it. Remember why you got started in the first place. I bet your brother would be telling you the same thing right about now." She smiled grimly and then stood and left me alone.

My brother would've been seventeen this year. There wasn't a day that went by when I didn't miss him. He was always on my mind, especially when I was out on missions. I was doing all of this in his name, trying to protect others from the same fate he suffered. But it just didn't seem to be enough. Everyone always wanted more from me. Too bad I could never give it to them.

It really didn't matter in the end. The missions had to be completed and there was no excuse for failure. I'd just have to keep going out day after day, doing my job to protect this city. If Linda wanted someone ruthless, she wasn't going to find them in me. She'd have to find herself another Hunter.

Everyone in the room was mingling with each other. It was a strange sight to see, Hunters with Detectives. I'd have to get used to it. I finally made up my mind to join the crowd. Anything to keep Linda off my back and to keep her from thinking I'm anything less than what I should be.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

Reviews: 1
Wed May 27, 2015 4:44 am
View Likes
CookieEmpress says...

Delancey Kim,Amaraz/Hunter's Headquarters

"How do you think it'll turn out?"

"Hm?" I looked up, realizing that I had been daydreaming again. I was currently working on a especially mysterious case the night before, so my thoughts kept reverting back to that instead of the matter at hand.

Gothen had been the one to speak, and within seconds, I remembered that we were on our way to meet up at the Hunters headquarters for a special meeting. Apparently, form what I'd heard, we were finally going to leave our differences behind and form a sort of alliance with them in order to deal with the increasing number of crimes and the lack of personnel.

I didn't really mind the treaty, but I knew that the majority of my peers were not so eager to carry out with the plan.

Once I registered what Gothen had asked of me, I answered truthfully, "It's not such a big deal. Everyone is simply overreacting; is it really so bad to work together with the Hunters just because there's been a rivalry between us for years? It's all so stupid."

Gothen nodded in agreement. "Yeah. If we don't work together and start acting more mature, then nothing is going to get done around here."

Without another word, we both kept walking down the street until we arrived at the headquarters.

As we walked in, I could feel eyes throwing daggers at us.

What a warm welcome...

Soon after, we were lead to a room where everyone else was already gathered. There was a brief introduction, and after an uproar from both parties after the big announcement, I nudged Gothen.

"You should say something!" I whispered. "If no one does, this will never be over."

"Why don't you?"

"Trust me, I would, but I feel like you'd make a bigger impact, honestly."

Trembling slightly, he arose and shouted, "Hey!" loud enough for everyone to hear.

The room went silent, all eyes moving towards Gothen's voice. "I know that you all don't like us much... Well, it's obvious. The rivalry has gone on for years, but we... we have to set aside our problems. How else are we going to insure Amaraz's safety? The only way is to work together and put a stop to these kidnappers, as neither of us can do it alone."

Just as I predicted, his words calmed everyone down a few notches. I knew that we wouldn't be best friends right afterwards, but the aggressive atmosphere had certainly thinned.

The meeting was called to an end minutes later, and the two groups were allowed to freely speak to one another.

Wanting to ease the tension somewhat, I decided that it would be best to socialize. Without hesitation, I began walking up to clusters of Hunters once their leader had finalized the meeting.

Even before approaching them, I knew that they were talking badly of us Detectives, but I didn't mind. Despite their rude behavior, I was determined to leave a good impression.

Looking around, I spotted a lone Hunter navigating himself around the crowd. I could tell from a distance that he wasn't like the rest. He seemed too... nervous? Perhaps that wasn't the right word, but nevertheless, I figured that he was as good of a person to start with as any.

Making sure that I looked presentable (knowing myself, I probably forgot to comb my hair or wash my face that morning), I found myself at his side.

"Hey there!" I greeted him, offering him my hand. "Delancey Kim, Detective. But that's obvious, isn't it?"

Since he hadn't noticed me at first, he flinched slightly before turning towards me. I don't blame him; I tend to have that effect on people.

After recovering himself, he shook my hand halfheartedly. "Uh, Felix Szabo, Hunter," he replied politely.

"I guess we'll be seeing each a lot more now, huh?" I spouted out some generic line. I could be creative when I wanted to, but it had all apparently been left behind at home with the case I was working on.
"I want Cookies." ~ Le Empress every single day :D

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Thu May 28, 2015 5:03 am
View Likes
Tuesday says...

Marissa Rayson- Amaraz, leading against a wall of a building

I threw my knife into the air, glancing at the nearby children that ran around the town center. They were giggling, their faces dirty along with their clothes they wore as their small feet ran across the cobbled roads. I sighed, catching my knife and putting into my sachet, then pushing a bang from my face and looking at sun. It would be Mook'n soon, meaning darkness would settle yet again and the Mother Moon would come out shinning on the city.
I got off the wall, walking into the nearby alley running a hand along the stony wall. It was wet from the steam that the town of Amaraz had came to be known for and that of the Hunters being gone. It had been days upon days as more of the Hunters were taken, being dragged into these alleys and no one knows where they have gone as if someone didn't want them here in Amaraz.
The children's voices were still present as the Mother Moon rose into the sky, shining everything into a eerie glow. I kicked a stone, it plopping into a nearby puddle making it ripple. I walked out of the alley, staring at the stars in the sky while the children's voices seemed to disappear into their houses, the lights soon turned off leaving Amaraz in darkness.

I had enjoyed darkness, as did most Hunters. You were never caught when the lights were off, nonetheless thought to be out during this time. I shivered, the air growing cold and murky as I heard voices talking in the shadows. I spun around creeping behind a small wall with growing vines, to eavesdrop.
"Look, the point is to find the Kidnappers not to kill them."
"Would be better to kill them, in my opinion."
"You are not making this any better than it is. So we might need to go with the enemies but that could be risky."
"The Detectives!" The voice rose while the other voice told it to hush, or someone would here them. "The Detectives."
"Yes, them. They might be able to help us as since they detect stuff in cases all the times while we are the ones who hunt of the clues."
"I still don't like the idea. What happens if-"

I moved for one minutes and the next I am being chased by people. I groaned, my knife digging into my thigh as the people chased after me, yelling cuss words at me. I turned around, sticking my tongue out and then giggled. Suddenly a wall came into my view, I stopped pondering what to do as an idea clicked to me. I grabbed my knife, stabbing into the wall and climbed with the angry people soon after me.
"You losers cannot cat-" I fell after saying that, looking up at starry night and the thought of mud on my back and in my hair. My head throbbed, as the voices of the two people slowed with heavy breathes following afterward. I grew dim within seconds, as I was carried somewhere, the voices bickering over pie.
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:31 am
View Likes
donizback says...

Gothen Smith, Amaraz/Hunter's Headquarters

"Here's your tea, sir" A waiter gave a cup tea to a man sitting two tables away from me.
I looked at him, examining his body language and trying to guess if he, too, is heading towards Hunter's Headquarters.

"Thanks. Here's your money," that man gave some coins to the waiter and got back to drinking tea and reading something, which I couldn't tell what. He was wearing a brown hat, long boots, a black jacket which was really graceful. I couldn't tell what he looks like because his hat, and the darkness, was hiding him from my sight.

" I need to talk to him," I said to myself. I got up from the table, picking my knife, some of my handwritten notes and putting them back in my pockets. I wasn't really nervous, the only thing worrying me was that he might be someone from the Hunters' group.

"Hello there," I said, in the best way I could. "My name Gothen. Gothen Smith..."

"Have a seat. I have heard about you a couple of times," he interrupted. "What brought you here, Mr. Gothen?"
He was well-built, seemed tall, pale and had a mustache. He was old, I could tell!

How does he know me? I asked myself. Well, there is something really good or bad about him, which I need to know before I leave this stupid place.

"Well, I was just going to Hunter's Headquarters..." I said, hesitatingly. "May I ask who you are and what is your destination?"

"Oh well, we are going to the same place!" He said, with a bright smile. "Some people call me Jimmy, and you don't need to know my full name."

"Are you a detective? Where are you from? And why are you going there?" I was so full of questions.

He laughed, "You really want to know so much. A detective should speak less and observe more. But don't worry, I'll tell you. I was something which people loved. I am from all over the place. And I know you because..." He paused and started again. "Let's go. We are getting late."

I felt that he held something back. Wait! He really did hold back but I didn't care because I felt that he is a trustworthy person. We walked towards the Hunter's Headquarters which was like a mile away from this place, where we met. He kept mumbling but I barely understood what he said. I didn't really care because I was looking forward to see many hunters, who want to hunt me, in the place I am going to. I somewhat felt like I am going to my own doom.

It was totally what I never expected. The hunters and the detectives were talking, laughing, and having some not-very-bad time together. Well, we get to see this once in a blue moon. I looked around and realized that Jimmy has disappeared. I was so deep thinking about all this that I didn't even realize him going.

Someone grabbed my shoulder tight, "Gothen! We waited so long for you. What took you so long, mate?"

I froze! I knew, this is where I am to die and I yet came here. I turned back and, to my surprise, it was...
Alone is what I have, alone protects me.

498 Reviews

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:31 pm
View Likes
Que says...

Aris Vonte, Hunter Base, the streets of Amaraz

I walked away from Felix after reminding him of why he's here. I hoped he could understand, so that he could get out in the city and be a Hunter, what the Hunters are supposed to be.

I hung back in a corner and observed the interactions between the Hunters and Detectives. Some were laughing and chatting like old friends- the very thought made me grimace- while others were talking tensely and clearly holding back retorts or violence.

Eventually, Linda stood up in the center of the room and gave a signal for silence. She a snapped her fingers and two Hunters came near her and stood at attention. Each held a small stack of paper slips.

"We are reopening one of our bases," Linda announced. "Hunters to the right, Detectives to the left. Receive your number and join with others in your base. The Hunters in your group will show you the most inconspicuous way to your base. We are integrating Hunters and Detectives."

At first, everyone just stood there. With a sharp crack, Linda brought her fist down on the table nearby. "Get friendly!" she snapped. "We need to work together or not at all." Both groups started and moved rapidly to one of the two doors.

I was the last Hunter and got number two, the newly reopened base. It had been my base before the kidnappings started up. To my surprise, Linda and Felix were both waiting for me.

"What is it?" I asked curtly. Linda simply handed me a file and turned on her heel, walking back into the building.

"Felix...?" I said as I began to look through the file. It was criminal info, just like hundreds of others I had gotten over the years.

"She wants us to go on a mission together before training with the other Hunters and Detectives, so that you can help me get over my... dislike for murder," he responded. "And she knows it's not going to work, too."

"Well, we'd better get on it, then," I said, checking my weapons. I had my crossbow with me, as well as a long, thin, light sword that was quite handy. Felix nodded and we started off towards the center of the city.

The criminal wasn't where the file said he'd be. Night was falling rapidly, but we couldn't give up until we had him.

Wandering down an empty street after dark, I noticed a red haired girl breaking into a nearby house. I was inclined to ignore her, but Felix tensed up beside me. "You can't just go around breaking into houses!" Felix muttered under his breath. "The people there have little enough money as it is. They don't deserve this."

"Well. I'm game for a little adventure."

"Huh?"

"Hey, you!" I yelled at her. She whipped around, already stuffing money and jewellery from the house into her bag. She looked at me once and started running. Felix, startled, began to rush after her.

I stood and laughed for a moment. I do like to have my fun, and chasing people is very fun. I took off after the two of them, sprinting through the alleyways. Eventually, I passed Felix. I was so intent on following the redhead that I didn't notice I had lost him behind me.

"Oh snap," I muttered under my breath. Now wasn't exactly the time to turn back, as I was catching up to the girl. Suddenly, she grabbed hold of a protruding pipe, swinging up onto the roof. I raised my eyebrow and climbed up after her.

Oddly enough, she just stood there, looking at me coolly. "And what do you think you're doing?"

"Saving the city from crime, obviously," I replied snarkily. "Maybe if you hadn't run, I would've left you alone. As it is, you're coming back with me now."

The girl looked me up and down, as if weighing her chances of escape. She just stood there, staring, and I shifted awkwardly from foot to foot, trying not to break eye contact. "Alright," she said finally. "I would very much like to meet who you're working for."

I blinked and stared at her coldly. "What makes you think I'm working for anyone?"

"I see you all the time, tracking down people systematically," she said casually. "You need to be more observant. Anyway, don't think that I can't escape whenever I want to, because I assure you that I can. I just don't feel like fighting and killing you."

I stayed silent and we both got off of the building. We walked close together, both keeping our eyes on each other. When we reached the base, I saw that Felix and Linda were both there waiting for me again. Linda glared at me with a cold fury and I just glared back.

"Aris."

I had never heard my name spoken with such menace before in my life. I stared ahead defiantly.

"Thief. I will be talking with you in my office. You may come with me now," Linda said, although it was really an order. The girl stepped up from beside me and went inside with Linda.

"Felix," Linda called back, "you know where Aris can wait for me."

"Yes ma'am," Felix said. "Come on Aris. Why would you ever do a stupid thing like that?"

I just walked stiffly, looking straight in front of me. Even though that girl was a thief, she had better chances than me at surviving Linda in her office...

I could see Hunters and Detectives together in the training room, and suddenly I wanted to be fighting, to be practicing with them. But instead I sat waiting for my doom outside of Linda's office. Felix left, and all I wanted to do was get away from that door.

Suddenly, the girl with red hair came out and began to walk away. I then hear the two words from inside that I dreaded:

"Come in."

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:40 am
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

Genora Fury, Amaraz/ Hunter's HQ

I could everyone's eyes on me as I entered to compound with the short one, Aris, I believe her name was. They parted silently as we moved forward. It was so quiet in here, you could hear someone drop a feather. Aris had never taken her eyes off of me, nor I her. Peripheral or direct. As we neared what I would be safe in assuming was our destination, there were two people waiting for us. One of them didn't look very happy, glaring at Aris with a cold fury that would make me smile if it were directed at me. Interesting.

She was a few inches shorter than me. Lean like me, with hair so fair it looked white with a blonde tint and what looked like a natural curl. She had bangs that covered half of her face, leaving only one green eye in sight. Sharp jaw. Slanted cheeks to the point they look bony almost. Small nose. Every instinct I had said not to trust her. I didn't much care for her hair either.

The other person, a guy, was another story.

Short but sturdy. Tan, brown hair just below his chin, and pale blue eyes. He looked more worried and upset rather than furious like the blonde.

"Aris." the blonde spoke with a menace I hadn't heard before.

Aris must have really messed up. The thought of her getting in trouble had me wanting to smile as I watched Aris return the blonde's stare glare for defiant glare. The blonde then turned her eyes, or should I say eye, to me.

"Thief. I will be talking with you in my office. You may come with me now," she turned on her heel and headed inside.

I raised an eyebrow. I may? Was this supposed to some honor? It sure didn't feel like one. Hm. I watched her for a moment before moving to follow.

"Felix," the blonde called back, "you know where Aris can wait for me."

Felix.

That must have been the other person I saw standing next to her. I didn't back to see what happened after that. My focus was now on her. Analzying her. Learning about her as I sat down across from her.

She returned my gaze, with less intensity than before, but still taking me in all the same. Her words were tart as she asked, or well said, "Name."

"Genora." I answered. "And yours?"

"This isn't some tea party conversation," she snapped, narrowing her eyes. "I need your surname."

"It's often considered rude for one person to give their name and not receive one in return. Bad manners" I sit back in my chair and cross my legs.

A flash of surprise crossed through her stern gaze until it softened completely, accompanied by a smile. "You're bold, thief. Call me Lydia."

"Alright then, Lydia." I said. "Fury."

She scribbled something on a paper in front of her and began her usual scanning. What was she looking looking for? What did she think she was going to find. From the look on her face, she wasn't finding what she wanted. A few key strokes later, her questions took on a new form, "How are you not listed here?"

"What list?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Of criminals. Why are there no records of you?"

I almost smiled. Almost. "Because I'm not a criminal."

"Really?" she said, a new glint shining in her one exposed eye. "So thieving isn't a crime now? Perhaps your morals are worse than m-- some others out there."

I shook my head "That stuff didn't belong to them. I was simply returning values back to their rightful owners."

She pursed her lips, replying with, "Interesting you see it that way. But no matter, a crime is a crime to a Hunter and I must at least create the records." The word Hunter was said with such emphasis, struggle even.

"Well," I cocked my head to one side. "I'm not a Hunter."

"Indeed you're not," she scoffed, adding a muttered, "and that's all the better."

At that, I did smirk as I raised an eyebrow. "Is that so?"

While her pen finished scratching against the paper, she fell silent, but eventually returned her gaze and said, "Yes. But you seem smart enough to figure out why later. I'm done with you."

"Am I?" I looked at her

She didn't really like me very much, so getting arise out of her shouldn't take too much work.Even if it did, I would be happy to oblige.

As if ignoring me, she continued on, saying, "I don't care where you go. Stay here even, as long as you're out of trouble. We'll meet again, though, I'm sure."

I shrugged, standing and heading for the door. "I was never in trouble to begin with."

"Oh," she said quickly, rushed, before I left, "Call me Linda outside of our 'private chats', alright?"

"Right then." I turned, walking out of the door.

It didn't take me long to get back to the market place as I made my way through the trees and roof tops. Everything was quiet as I made my way to my destination. Walking up the steps, I placed the small satchel down in front of the door and knocked, then stepped aside into nearby bushes as I see a small through the window. Probably someone holding a candle. I heard the door unlatch, and then it was opened. An older woman in her late sixties, but look like she was in her seventies because of hard times in her life in a white cotton and a lit candle stepped out of the house, looking around as she did.

"Hello?" She called out.

Looking down, she picked up the satchel. Pulling it open with one hand she peered inside, dropping the candle she'd been holding with a cry as she covered her mouth. An older man came running out to her. Most likely her husband.

"What's wrong?" he looked around.

She held the bag out to him, and he held his candle to it. His eyes bulged for a minute and he out his hand to his mouth as tears ran down his cheeks. They wrapped their arms around each other cried. Seeing my work here was done, I silently retreated to the shadows and into the night.

The next morning, I decide to stop by the market to get a few thing, and notice a crowd. My curiosity being piqued, I make my way through the crowd to see what was going on. I came to a stop next to a small child with blonde hair and whiskey colored eyes. He couldn't have been any older than five as he looked up at me. He was cute. I didn't trust cute.

"What's going on kid?" I look down at him.

"I don't know," he shrugged, staring at me. "You're really pretty."

I smiled down at him, running a hand through his hair. "You're not too bad yourself, cutie."

Before he could say anything, someone called my name .

"Genora!"

It was Asha. One of the older women I talked to coming up to me. She pulled me into a big hug, tears on her face.

"What's wrong?" I frowned.

"Oh no," she sniffled, holding out a bag to me. "Look!"

I looked into the bag, seeing jewels and valuables at the bottom.

"Someone returned everything that was stole after Vergil died. Oh Genora, we had nothing to our name, and were about to lose our only home." she cried. "Someone just gave us back out lives. Thank the gods and bless whoever it was who did this for us."

Vergil was her son who had died recently. He'd been beaten to death by a local group of thugs who'd been getting more and more violently lately. He also happened to be the bread winner in the family, having to support his grandparents and two children from his late wife Alana. I had actually known him personally, since I often worked with him out in the fields cutting and making hay bells along with helping to build whatever was needed.

I hugged her and kissed her on the cheek. "Things just have a way of working themselves out."

"I just feel so blessed!" she wiped the tears from her eyes. "And the filth that took my boy away from my and stole have disappeared. I hope they never come back!"

Everyone clapped and applauded and shouted in joy as she spat on the ground. Just as she finished talking, two kids darted from behind her, and latched onto me.

"Rara!" Ingrid said she she looked up at me with her clear blue eyes. "We get to stay! We get to stay!"

"Yea!" Abraham said as they both jumped up and down.

I patted them both on top of their heads. "So I heard."

Asha hugged me once more. "I'm so happy right now I could burst!"

"And you should be," I smiled at her. "You deserve it."

She nodded, sniffling and wiper her face. "Come along, kids. Stop pestering the poor girl. We've things to do."

They both frowned as they did what they were told, giving me a reluctant wave good bye. They took their leave and the crowd dispersed. The kid who had been standing next to me was still there, standing next to me. Still staring at me.

"Am I still really pretty?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

He nodded his head, the bouncy locks of his hair hopping everywhere. How cute.

I ruffled his hair. "And you're still a little cutie. Til' next time."

I turned to take my leave.

Spoiler! :
I hope you guys enjoyed my first post!! @Wolfare1 @Noelle
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:10 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Lydia -- Linda -- Scethal, Amaraz/Office

I'd love to be anywhere else at this moment. Don't get me wrong, striking fear into the hearts of others never ceases to amuse me, but 'disciplining' isn't my thing. Especially after that talk with Gen. She's an interesting character, unfazed by me. Which is different.

But useful at the same time. Strong spirits are hard to break, but when they do, they're just like putty in your hands. I can tell without a doubt she's a strong spirit, by the way her green eyes matched mine in intensity and she sat tall, rebellious almost.

"I'm not a criminal" she said. I scoff at the thought of it. I don't have a record, but I could be defined as a criminal. Eric sure saw to that in planting me here. That made it even easier to rise up... and start dealing with rule enforcement, my thoughts finally moving towards Aris waiting outside.

With a sigh, I call out in an exasperated tone, "Come in."

While I don't look up, preoccupying myself with some notes on the girl's apparent habits, I still see an image of a shivering Aris in my mind, with her face pale and dark eyes wide.

"Sit."

Though much of my anger has faded, my tone is still stern. And while Aris is normally great at keeping down her emotion, the way she fumbles to pull out the chair showed just how flustered she is. Then the chair makes its exaggerated squeaking noise as it's dragged across the floor before Aris settles down.

The scratching of my pen on the paper is the only thing that keeps from plunging the room into silence. Once it stops, the stares being thrown around do all the talking. My own gaze creeps up to look Aris in the eyes. There is obvious nerves there, perhaps anticipation, but still intensity.

I take a breath. Oh, the places to start. Where? Why? What was going through her head? But I pick one, and say calmly, "Aris, dear, who is she?"

Shock floods into her tense expression and she's taken back. "You're not... furious?"

Different approaches give different results, and the wrong approach doesn't give me what I want. I see that happening now, as my gentler tone didn't give me an answer. So I return to a terse tone. "Just answer the question."

Her eyes change from surprise to slight irritation, but she answers quickly. "I don't know who she is. I just saw her robbing a house and gave chase."

"Then why did you bring her here instead of killing her?" The words come out harsher than even I would intend. Perhaps it's the expectation, but I guess it works out in my favor.

Aris' hesitation is overly obvious, the nervous look returning to her face, but she just brushes the hair off her shoulder and replies, "She asked? It didn't seem to come up, didn't know who she was or what she was doing, so why bother someone who did a one-time-thing, I guess."

I purse my lips. "Is that all she was doing? Just stealing? No fighting or provoking? I need more details than this."

Yet another slight pause occurs before she answers, saying, "Well, she ran and we gave chase, but yeah, that's about it." She leans back in the chair and folds her arms, challenging me with a new found confidence.

"Well then," I retort. "There was no 'we' in that, as Felix returned alone. You abandoned one mission for another that was made with poor judgment."

She flinches slightly at my change of tone -- I wonder if she notices the uncertainty, but quickly disregard that -- but returns with, "She was committing crime and I was stopping it. That's what Hunters do."

"Hunters also look out for other Hunters, and leaving that pansy out on the street along isn't helping him. His inability to complete tasks is a detriment and may cost other lives than just a case of stealing."

It hadn't started off as a rant, but it ended as one. Once again, I press my lips together and allow the silence to drap us both, our stares doing all the talking. It was the truth though, which I'm sure Aris realizes.

Her voice is much softer as she says, "Is that all?"

"Yes, I presume so," I reply, taking up my pen and jotting down more notes. "I've gotten all the answers I needed. And tell them that I'll be out in a moment. I've been cooped up in an office all day and I need some time to stretch my knives. Perhaps a training seesion is in order..." My words drift off but my thoughts keep going.

Aris just shrugs and moves out the door. She's a lot more relaxed going out than she was coming in, but perhaps she doesn't know what to think.
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:41 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

Felix Szabo -- Hunter's HQ

I wander away from Linda's office, wanting to stay as far away from the situation as possible. She wants to see Aris, not me, which is surprising seeing as I'm the one she was just lecturing. Maybe she's finally given up on me. That would be a blessing.

My mind latches onto the mission I had just been sent on. It was for me and Aris, a double job. I'm not sure what possessed Linda to send two of us after one chick, but it happened. And I have a sneaky feeling that Aris was sent along just to make sure I got the job done.

Why won't she ever trust me? It's not that I don't get the job done. I do most of the time. The problem is when I stop and realize what I'm doing and who I'm doing it to. There's always someone out there suffering. The problem is finding the ones who are suffering less than others. Those are the ones you don't have to protect.

I shake all those thoughts from my mind and pick up my pace. The farther away from Linda the better.

I turn a corner and run straight into a girl with brown hair. "Oh, Delancey," I say with a start. "Sorry about that. Wasn't watching where I was going."

She smiles. "It's not problem. Hey, are you going to the training room?"

Training room? Is something going on in there? I shrug. "Not sure. Just trying to get away from someone."

"Who?"

I open my mouth to tell her, but choose against it. There's no reason to get her all wrapped up in my problems. "It's nothing. Should we go to the training room?" She nods and leads me down the hall.

We're sitting in chairs against the wall, watching the detectives and Hunters interact, still a bit cautiously. It's an odd sight to see; I'm still not used to it. It was an odd notion to begin with, but now it's just become strange. We're not supposed to work together, that's not how this goes. Yet here we all are, brought together by the "all powerful hands" of Linda.

Delancey must be able to read my mind. "We're not all bad you know. History is what keeps us apart. I think things are going to change now that we've been brought together."

"You could say that," I mumble. Things are most definitely going to change, but I don't think for the better. Sure we need the detectives around so they can catch these kidnappers, but I don't trust any of them. Not even the pretty girl sitting next to me.

We sit in silence for a while, just watching the scene unfold in front of us. It doesn't surprise me how the Hunters are shying away from the detectives. I think Delancey and I are one of the only ones who are so comfortable together.

I remember back to when she first introduced herself after the meeting. I had been hesitant, but the small smile on her face comforted me. Even though she was a detective, I knew that she could be trusted.

I'm so engrossed in the thought of her that I don't notice Aris plop down into the seat next to me.

"Who's that?" Delancey asks.

"Oh, Delancey, this is Aris. Aris, Delancey. She's a detective."

"I can see that," Aris responds curtly. She leans her head back against the wall, staring at the ceiling. "I didn't even get in trouble."

I raise my eyebrows. Linda had called Aris into her office. I thought for sure that that was going to be the last time I saw Aris in a while. Knowing that Linda didn't do anything to her only makes me wonder more about our dear leader. She's so hard to read.

Aris sighs. "Linda says she'll be out soon. Something about a training session."

"Oh good," Delancey says. "We definitely need it."

We all fall into silence and I relish in it. I haven't had time to sit around for a while. It's been mission after mission, lecture after lecture from Linda. I'm not in the mood for it anymore. A break would be nice, but I know I'm not getting one. All I can do now is enjoy the time it takes Linda to get here. The chaos will ensue soon enough.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:42 pm
View Likes
Tuesday says...

Marissa Rayson - Chained

Dream Ville

When I woke up, I was chained to a slab. I tried to blink but it was all blackness, yet soft light leaked through a nearby window. Suddenly the whole room seemed to be filled with light as I blinked once more; a little table was placed in the corner of the room with a cup filled with pencils and a metal clipboard. To the side of that was a chair and a book shelf, lined with old leathery books.

Heaven , I thought to myself as I wanted to get up but felt the hot chains around my waist. I groaned, feeling the chain tighten as a pain shifted throughout my body. I moved my ankles only to realized having chains around those too. I looked around my body and noticed chains supported everywhere as I sighed.

Great Job, Mary. How'd you get yourself in this mess? I asked myself as my stomach growled. You also didn't eat or the people didn't feel you. I could move my neck so I craned to see the door in front of me and saw a gold plate on it. I squinted trying to read it when the door was opened, and a man in a white suit walked through with a tight smile. He was pushing a cart with a white cloth drape over it, covering the things under it.

The man moved the platter on the cart onto the table before turning to face me, his smile widen.
"Hello there, Miss Rayson. I see you woke up from your nap. How was it?" He asked smoothly, moving his hands behind his back.

"Just lovely," I sarcastically said, my eyes staring coldly at the stranger in white. The man smiled tightly, walking forward and I could catch the gleam of anger. I smiled on the inside while I had a placid face.

The man in white raised an eyebrow, leaning on the desk.

"We are truly sorry, Miss Rayson."
"About what?"
"This," the man in white stated as he ripped off the white cloth to reveal a button, which he pressed and I felt hot metal on my sides, stabbing my skin with a hiss. I cried out at the white man- who was smiling, holding a finger on the button as the pain overtook my body.

Blackness over took everything, as my body went numb all I remember that white man stupid happy grin....

Reality

I woke up in a sweat. The burning feeling was still on my side as I pulled my shirt up and saw damage-free skin. I sighed, looking around the room; some room that I couldn't recognized as I started to sweat again only from eyes. My howls moved from the bed to the door, as I banged on it trying to get someone open it; nothing. I coughed moving from the door, standing up in my musty white nightgown looking at a nearby window; sunlight drifted in, dancing on the floor with dust particles jumbled about.
I sighed, returning to my bed. Sickness settled in my stomach as the dream came hurling through my thoughts; how did I even end up on a slab?

Hopefully it wouldn't happen to me now or something, I thought to myself, picking fluff on the bed. Suddenly there was a knock on my door.

"Are you awake, Miss Rayson?" the voice behind the door called as I was frozen; that voice.. where have I heard it before?

"Yes," I stated as the door opened; a man in white walked in, grinning while pushing a cart.
Great job, Mary I thought, as I stared confused at the man. You just let someone in who could possibly kill you. One for the team .

The man smiled. "How did you sleep, Miss Rayson?"
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning