z

Young Writers Society

Open Galaxy

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:05 am
Que says...

Kyte Taboshi, on her ship Arkae

The swivels felt smooth and natural in my hands, and I gracefully guided Ark out of the atmosphere of Sadekia. Once traveling through the gentle current of space, I punched in coordinates and let Arkae handle the controls.

I flicked the gravity switch and unbuckled myself. Then I detached the chair from the floor so I could roll freely along the length of the deck. I kicked off from the wall and glided over to the opposite wall, full of computer screens. I whistled and grabbed a blue hat that matched perfectly with my black and indigo outfit.

"Lets see what you guys are up to," I muttered to nyself, my fingers flying over the type pad. "Ark, help me out here. Where're you getting the info? I'll hack it."

"It's from Stail. Hes always been reliable," Arkae replied. "Also, those richies have been all over Civi News." I snorted.

"Those guys from Civi News are jerks. I'll head over to Hank Stail's spot. He's a pretty good source." I slid my fingers across the pad and hack into the spot. "He's changed his code," I noted.

Ark laughed. "Doesn't he know that you can and will hack everything?" I had to laugh too.

"'Course he does. He also," I said pointedly, "should know that his spot is the easiest thing to hack. I could do it in my sleep."

"Oh hey, got something her for you Kyte," Arkae added. I looked over at the control panel and front screen curiously. "Message from Hank. Says-"

"Don't wanna hear it," I scowled and waved my hand. I could almost see Ark grinning.

"That's my girl. We're going anyway!" Here Ark hooted, his peculiar sound of excitement. I was going to reprogram him and get rid of it, but it was his quirk. I had to leave it, it made him him.

I turned back to my screen. Stail yielded very little information, only personal details about the merchants. The amount of money they had-

"Holy trig," I breathed. My eyes were wide as marbles. "Ark..."

"I know. Kyte Kyte Kyte! We're gonna be riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich!" Another quirk: Arkae is super hyper when he's excited. But trig, I was excited too. That much money. And we were headed right toward the battle!

"Uh, Kyte? We... We're here."

I shoved my chai off and whizzed back to my piloting spot. "I'll take control for now," I said. I peered out the window, but saw nothing. "What the..." I narrowed my eyes.

Suddenly, a gargantuan ship revealed itself--

Right in front of me.

"They're sending audio," Arkae said frantically. I switched the transmitter on and listened.

"Hello. We are the orgamization E.V.I.L. Surrender yourself to us and you will not be harmed. I repeat, surrender yourself. You have ten minutes." The audio clicked off.

I sat back, stunned. Where were the merchants? I looked out again and saw tiny bits of debris floating past...

"Oh no. Ark, Ark!" I screamed. "Have you got this on radar?"

"No," Ark sounded slightly odd, almost mischievous. "They clearly had an invisibility cloak, but that don't show up anywhere... Look. Look at the radar."

I looked down in front of me. The radar showed nothing in front of us, the green dot that was our ship. Yet behind us...

"The transmission came from behind as well," Ark said. He then waited expectantly.

"Well." I leaned forward and grabbed the swivels. "They seem to have underestimated our intelligence. That hurt my feelings, and it's been boring lately. You up for something dangerous?"

"Killer," Ark said softly.

"You bet," I grinned, cracking my knuckles.

Then I urged Arkae towards the ship at full power--

--and flew through it.
Est-ce que vous parlez français?

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:34 am
StupidSoup says...

Ottoman, Verdant Space Rock (Kastus Belt)

Such thoughts were for the young.

I groaned as I pulled myself out of bed. The sun had just peeked up over the horizon and my head was filled with the familiar hazy grayness of morning. Stumbling around, I managed to find one of my canes and slowly made my way to the kitchen.

As I mixed my daily medicine, doubt clouded my groggy mind. Maybe a my earlier decision didn't take into account my age. Sure it was easy to dream big from the comfort of your armchair but to go out and do it?

But I knew I would go. I wasn't that old yet and I'd had my share of action. I could do this. Right?

Pushing doubt aside, I gulped down the mixture of herbs and sighed in relief as the pain eased from my joints. Then began the packing.

First came the essentials. Clothes, mostly robes, then medicine. I crammed in food and water, passports (a human term), and a small collection of gadgets and scrap metal. I always kept metal near me.

Then came the weapons. Brushing aside an old velvet curtain, I dusted off an ancient looking gun. Crafted from plain black steel it stretched two and a half feet long, the barrel stretching out farther than the body. I hoisted the weapon over my shoulder, fitting it snugly at the base of my skull. Looking down the scope I smiled. No HUD, no electronic indicators, no thermal, IR, or heartbeat sensor. Just plain old glass.

I tended to like older things.

Stowing it away, I took another from an opposite room and packed it as well.

Then there was nothing left to do. I had no mementos I would need to take with me, no good luck charms, no souvenirs.

Shouldering my pack, I walked outside, taking one last look as the sun rose over my house. The crisp green grass swayed slightly in the orange light, the house stood, cast in the shadow of morning, hidden in soft darkness.

Smiling again, I turned. I would see it again, I would return. Thus I stepped into my shuttle and became a streak of rusty gray blasting off into the unknown.
Last edited by StupidSoup on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:18 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif SPEW Gryphon

Grif had barely gotten the intruders stored in the brig; when an alarm sounded.

"Talk to me Adelaide," Grif said.

"Twelve ships are converging on our position from all sides. Various types of ships, ranging from corvettes to cruisers. They are moving in with some speed; it's interfering with their cloaking technology," the artificial intelligence responded.

"How about warp drive?"

"It's still thirty minutes from being charged, and they'll be on us in twenty."

"Put out a distress call and prepare the ship for combat."

"They're jamming our signal."

"Which ship is jamming us?"

"That would be the Harack Class Battle Cruiser Marauder."

"Target the Marauder with the Tri-Gauss Cannon. Load nanite rounds and program them for a five minute life span.

"Tri-Gauss is armed. Marauder has just entered into firing range."

"Open fire," Grif ordered. Immediately, three rounds were fired in rapid succession. Thirty seconds later, the rounds hit the Marauder, burrowing deep into the armor of the ship. Immediately, they deployed nanites; which began to dissolve their way into the ship, creating additional nanites as they went. The enemy Captain was smart; and within a minute, he had fired an EMP blast to negate the nanites; not before the jamming unit dissolved into a cloud of nanites.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown