The Red Planet

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:08 pm
StellaThomas says...

[all non-character posts please make in the DT]

New astronauts wave farewell to Earth - 6th April, 2050

In the newest leg of the Mars Habitation Commission, today ten brave souls said goodbye to Earth for the next five years as Ares IV took off from Florida today. A joint mission between NASA, the ESA, ISA and the RFSA, Ares IV is the fourth in a series of rockets to leave our planet and carry new members of Mars society to their new home.

The ten newest astronauts will in part take over the roles of the five Mars habitants who returned to their homes and families last month, but will also add new vivacity and bring their skills to the project.

The
Ares Mission has been considered a global success of collaboratioin between the international space agencies, and on Mars has successfully set up water programmes, greenhouses and safe living zones for humans, all the while exploring and learning more about our closest neighbour in the solar system...

You're a brand-new-astronaut, but maybe not by profession. You have some sort of skill, be it scientific or in service that they believe you can bring to either the research or the community being built on Mars.

The spacecraft has taken about sixty days to get you here, and you all know each other fairly well at this stage. While communication with the station already on Mars is always a bit shaky, in the last ten days it's been completely non-existent. When you talk to Houston, where the main base of operations for the mission is, they say they haven't heard anything either. They say to be on your guard...

Spoiler! :
About the Storybook:

When you get to Mars, your hub is going to be totally locked off from everybody else's, and no one is going to come to greet you. Your first mission is going to be trying to get back to see what is going on elsewhere. After that, you don't know.

What you do know though, is a lot. You are an expert in your field, whatever it is. Medicine, engineering, construction, geology, microbiology... You excelled and that is what got you chosen for this mission.

Not only did you excel, but you've been checked out. You've had a lot of psychological and physical testing to make sure you're suitable for the job, that you won't collapse from exhaustion when you have to help build new structures, or waste away in space, and that you're not going to be a problem for everybody else. You are all safe, well-adjusted, healthy people.

Right?

Rules:

Spoiler! :
-please ask permission before making a character.
-I get final say (mwahaha)
-this is totally a collaborative effort, so everybody should pitch in with plot points
-no backtracking. If you don't like someone's post, find a way to work around it
-please keep it clean. Swearing is acceptable, but no gratuitous sex/violence
-please post in the DT before making any big plot swerves
-be courteous
-just be nice to each other okay?

Character Slots:

Spoiler! :
1. StellaThomas - emergency physician

Profile Template:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b](be reasonable, unless you were a prodigy, you're probably over 30)
[b]Nationality:[/b] you can be from any of the space agencies, so you can be American, Russian, Indian or from any European country :)
[b]Occupation:[/b] what field are you in, what use will you be on Mars?
[b]Personality:[/b] Likes and dislikes
[b]Strengths and skills:[/b]
[b]Flaws and weaknesses:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
— Abraham Heschel