Young Writers Society

April OS: Everyone has their Demons

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 pm
View Likes
Craz says...

|Rohan Kelsier|

Rohan snored contentedly on the pile of hay he had found particularly appeasing the night before. Sunlight filtered through the wooden planks above his head, splattering bursts of light on his bare skin. A fly buzzed lazily around his face. Next to him, a pig nuzzled his shoe. He smacked his lips and shifted deeper into the itchy hay, then rolled onto his side and scratched his thigh. He did not notice when a shadow blocked his sunlight.

He was woken with a start, lukewarm water splashing and running down his chest. He gasped and sputtered, reaching blindly for his dagger and scrambling to stand. Cold steel pressed against his neck and he froze. He raised his gaze, looking from underneath his sopping wet head scarf.

"What's with you and dumping things on people?" he said, begrudgingly relaxing when Solak put her sword away with a smirk.

"You're making the stables smell worse than they already are," she said.

"Well, whose fault is that, miss? You're the one that likes wasting perfectly good beverages." He attempted to swipe the excess water off of him, but only managed to smear his hands with mud. He shook them.

She raised an eyebrow, snorting through her nose. "That ale was crap. It suited you well. I'd say you're lucky I didn't want to have to clean any blades. It would've been mighty unfortunate for you to get hurt over an insult." She gave him a venomously sweet smile.

"Aye, yeah, mighty unfortunate, but 'cha got your morals to worry about, eh?" He replied. He patted his waist, checking various objects to make sure they were still there. "I think, after all of this harassment, that you at least owe me some protection while I go wash that dried ale off at the stream. You don't know what kind of harm can fall to a humble merchant, such as myself."

"I thought you didn't need protection," she snapped. She wished she had some more ale to dump on him.

"I don't need many things, miss, but yet here I am, and here you are." Satisfied that nothing was missing from his sash, he began to saunter away, and when he stepped into the full daylight he flinched and held his hand to his eyes.

She hesitated in the door of the stables. She had no reason to follow this person, and frankly, he grated on her nerves. But there was something about him. He was bizarre, yes, and probably transgressed most laws, but from time to time, there would be a flash of something she felt she recognized. Drawn by curiosity, she followed him outside.

"Only because the men from yesterday might still be here."

As Rohan tugged the scarf down over his eyes, his lips twitched. They walked mostly in silence, Rohan stretching his arms, back, and neck the whole way, and birds twittering above them. People moved about, paying them no mind. They cut down a well worn dirt path into a thick patch of woods where the music of water over rocks grew stronger. The line of trees ended abruptly at the jagged edge of a stream, where black rocks jutted out like a seared scar. With little hesitation Rohan untied his sash, and with it his pants, heading towards the edge of the water.

Solak blinked once, twice, then turned away with a roll of her eyes. "The polite thing to do is to warn people when you're about to do that, particularly women."

The water splashed as Rohan entered it, and there was the clinking of metals as he tossed his jewelry onto his pile of clothes. "Bah, we're always naked. Didn't figure a female knight would be fretting about sex roles."

"This female knight doesn't want to see anyone naked, be they male or female." She retorted, leaning against a tree.

He didn't reply, but instead focused on scrubbing. He glistened like a seal, his brown skin shining under the grit that clung to him, and he stooped down low enough to dip his head in the water. He vigorously clawed the sand from his black hair, and emerged with it clinging to his forehead. He cupped his hands and sipped.

When he glanced back up again, figures gathered on the opposite shore. Rohan wouldn't have thought much of it, except that they carried swords and wooden axes. And that they had started to furiously wade their way towards him.

He let the water in his hands fall and he turned and sprinted for his clothes. The noise of splashing water increased behind him. Gathering his garb in his arms (taking care to tuck his sash and jewelry safely to his chest) he bolted past Solak and down the path. She started behind him, calling his name, then began to run behind Rohan.

"Those are the guys from last night? They're still after your stuff?"

"Well," Rohan said between huffs, "not exactly my stuff, if you want to be technical about it."

"What?"

"You think you could save this chit-chat for later, miss?"

"I can run and talk." She retorted. "You mean I stopped them from getting their stuff back?"

"More or less."

The small inn emerged in front of them, and Rohan veered towards a cart that seemed to be falling apart at the seams. Pots and pans hung from a rope with hooks and clinked together in the wind, and sprouts of plants swayed through holes cut out of the top. Colorful fabrics draped across the canvas, wind chimes sang from string tied in the back, and rucksacks that weighted down with goods were tied to the front. Next to it, a sleeping mule rested. When it heard them approaching, it started and whinnied in distress.

Rohan tossed his bundle into a slit in the cart and began to quickly hook the mule into her harness. He whispered a few things into her ear, as if consoling her, then jumped on to the small wooden bench behind her.

Solak ran past him, making for the stables. As she neared the door, she slowed. They were after Rohan, not her. She didn't need to run away. The sound of steps in the streets quickly changed her mind. She yanked open the door and grabbed her gelding's reins, swiftly mounting him and riding out into the street. Solak was glad she had been ready to leave before Rohan had drawn her away.

The angry mob of men were rounding the inn. Solak spurred her horse to Rohan's cart, which lurched forward with surprising velocity. Rohan, in all of his naked glory, held an extended pair of reins in one hand, and wielded a crossbow in the other, and stood on the bench as his mule charioted away. He was singing a rather colorful song about the men's mothers and sisters, and as he laughed when the men began to throw their swords at them, Solak was again struck with a feeling of familiarity.

Finishing his song, he plopped back down on the stool and steered the mule out of the small town. Solak quickly caught up with the fleeing cart, riding up next to him. Seeing as the men didn't think that they would need horses, the two escaped easily enough, only knocking over a vegetable stand and a man carrying a sack of flour in the process.

"So, miss, how's it feel to be on the other side of the spectrum?"

She scowled at him. "I'm not there."

He cackled. "Sure, you're not, miss."
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat May 09, 2015 7:29 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Princess Imara

"Mara?" the tall unmistakable figure of Rheagan stood before. I sighed and clasped my hands in front of me, giving a slight nod. Ice ran up to Rheagan and licked his palms. Rhaegan has always been a familiar scent to my Ice.

"So, what's going on here? Why did you send for me?" I straightened my shoulders and turned stiff,as in a diplomatic way. The introductions were finished, and now was the time to get down to business.

"Let me give you a run-down of the situation," he replied. "The Sweepers are invading the land and raiding villages for people with any sign of darkness, and ruthlessly killing them."

"Stop!" I hissed putting my hand out to stop his speech. "I know all about their ruthlessness and killing of innocent people."

Rhaegan looked at me curiously, like if he was wondering what exactly did I know about them.

In a softer voice, and with a quiet sigh I met his eyes once again:
"They murdered my only son. And I plan to get revenge!" I roared with determination. Rheagan was taken aback by this and did a slight half-nod toward my direction. There was an awkward pause in the conversation,where we just stood there still,and neither of us knew what to say about my prompted outburst. Then he continued:

"Children of the night, like the werewolf that just came up to us, are all fleeting into the swamps or forests. I and a group of my loyal followers, like yourself, are preparing to fight them. We are all gathered here in the camp, trying to round up any creatures or people that would be useful for us. Are you ready?"

He put his hand for a handshake, in sign of the expected agreement. I understood the graveness of the situation, and what the Sweepers could do. With no doubt or hesitation, I shook his hand, and sealed the agreement to be on his side, and find alongside his mean against the Sweepers. I had to avenge my son's death, even if that's the last thing I would do.

Looking around, I saw a bunch of tents set up and organized in a line along a narrow clearing in the forest. It was midnight-dark, and I was surprised that Rheagan wasn't getting his needed rest. Following in my gaze, Rhaegan pointed to a tent on the far edge of the campout.

"You can sleep in that one," for a brief moment he paused, and looked down at Ice, almost wondering what to do about her. I opened my mouth because he could say a word

"Ice is going to be sleeping with me, like she always has, since she was a little pup. She knows this territory very well, every curve and hole in it, and so I would like to have her by my side."I look pointedly at the werewolf. "I am worried about these two creatures picking a fight, so I suggest that you either keep my dog and her away from each other." I said sternly with a frown on my face to Rheagan. I didn't want anything coming in between me and my dog.

I was walking toward my new place of residence,my feet aching at the sticks and stones that I felt through my thinly padded shoes.I was tired to the bone and core, and sleep never looked so inviting. A hand,or rather a paw, stopped me in my tracks, and my muscles froze. I instinctively reached to my belt to grab my dagger. When I looked up, I saw the glowing colorful eyes of the werewolf and looked up at her:

"What do you have to me?" I stared her down while Ice barked.
"I want to know, who you really are. Are you a child of night?"
"No, I'm not. But my dog is just as powerful as a child of the night. Rheagan and I just to always be fascinated by your kind. I repeat what you do want with me?"

The werewolf eyed me suspiciously, like she was trying to prove if I was actually saying the truth or not. I held my hands up, not being afraid of her scrutiny.
"Show me what you know." I was startled by her request, but I know that I had to do it.
Taking out my prized bow and arrow out of my bag, I pointed to a sycamore tree, which was illuminated by the glow of the moon and aimed at it. Releasing the arrow from my grip, it flew away from the bow, and toward the designed tree.

Ice started barking and prowling near the Teal's legs,while she examined my skill. Out of the protector desire and streak that Ice had, she sunk her claws into the teal's leg, and blood bubbled out of the long gash by her shins. The teal's face was reddening with anger and pain,but of course, I couldn't see that,since my gaze was so focused and concentrated on the target.

Hitting square in the middle of the core, I mentally sighed in relief.

In a moment, before I could even blink, the werewolf was on me, trying to sprawl me to the ground. The bow and arrow was all a trick to get me concentrated. Ice was alarmed again, and started growling fiercely and circling around the teal of the forest and myself . I took out the dagger of my pants and barely stabbed the werewolf's toe. When she jumped up in pain, like a springboard, and I saw this as my chance to flip over and get up from the ground. She backed off and was jumped up and down with the toe injured. I knew that this was just a trick, because I hadn't stabbed her that hard; I just needed to remain totally alert. My eyes were open wide and ears ready to detect any little sound ; then she swiftly stood up and lunged directly toward me. Ice tripped her while she was trying to jump over Ice , and the teal of the forest fell to ground with a loud thump, and blood gushing from her ear. The werewolf looked too weak to get up. I leaned down and put my mouth close to that hurting ear, just so that she could hear me.

"I'm not a princess anymore. I'm a warrior." I spit these words into the ground and smirked.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed May 13, 2015 8:35 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Rhaegan

It was strange to discover that Imara had birthed a son and lost him since they last met. Rhaegan had known it had been a long time but he found it hard to think of Imara as a mother and then remembered with a slight wince that she no longer was.

After his father took him back in, the world had felt closed to him so Rhaegan had closed himself to the world. It was only the shock of the Sweeper invasion which had woken him up and reminded him how much more there was outside the small kingdom of the Children of the Light.

Rhaegan watched Imara as she neared the tent and then turned to address Ion:

"You should get some sleep." Mostly he was thinking of doing the same.

"The werewolf went after her," Ion said.

Rhaegan swore under his breath and thought about leaving them to it but he didn't need their fiery tempers burning the camp down around him.

"You should still get some sleep."

"As you say."

Not stopping to see if the boy followed him or not, Rhaegan marched after the two women and approached just in time to watch Ice swipe and snap at Teal's leg. Rhaegan lurched forward but both women reacted too quickly for him. The blows were exchanged and with the assistance of Ice, Imara came the better. She was spitting at the werewolf's feet (who looked ready to launch herself at the princess again) when he finally got into the middle of them.

"Ice!" Rhaegan snapped. "To me." The wolf bared her teeth for a moment, still pumped full of adrenaline most likely, but as he stared her down, she let out a soft whimper and approached with her tail between her legs.

"Rhaegan, don't punish Ice! She attacked me and Ice was only-"

"Ice struck first-" Rhaegan broke in. The werewolf had recovered and was on her feet now, or the balls of her feet at least, all the tension quivering in the air like she might restart the fire any moment. "Teal, I can only apologise-"

"Shut up! This doesn't involve you!" Teal snapped.

That was the second time the werewolf had undermined him but this time Rhaegan would not let it go. "It does involve me," he replied in a tone as cold and sharp as steel. "Anything which happens within the boundaries of my camp is my business and while you are here, you will submit yourselves to my rules. Ice broke the peace-"

"She's an animal, Rhaegan. You can't make her understand your rules."

Rhaegan didn't reply and he took Ice by the scruff of the neck, though not un-gently. The wold allowed herself to be led and Rhaegan took her through the camp with the women followed close behind - Imara anxiously and Teal with anger still burning in her eyes.

Rhaegan stopped when he reached the edge of the camp where the horses were picketed and took one of the ropes up in his hand. One end was tied to a stake and hammered fast into the ground and he took the free end and made a collar to tie around the wolf.

"Ice sleeps here tonight," Rhaegan insisted. He met Imara's gaze firmly with his one good eye. He expected she'd sleep here herself and there wasn't anything he could do about that but order had to be kept. Without a punishment, he would lose any respect the werewolf might have for him, though she showed little sign of holding him in high regard.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 pm
View Likes
Tuesday says...

Tyen Juis, The Wounded Horse
Why of all things did I have to make a thousand shields for this one person? I would need at least, like, twenty hands to make these and I only had two. It grew bothersome, working alone (well technically I had a dog named Hamstring) and I would want to yell at someone to help me but only getting an echo. I leaned my head onto a table, poking at a dust bunny when the door was open. I looked up, to see if it was a regular but to this point, it didn't even matter.
"Hello, welcome to the Wounded Horse. How may I help you?" I asked. The figure looked up, its hood hiding its face.
"Hello. Would you mind making some "weapons" for me?"
"Sure. What kind of 'weapons'?"
The hooded figure nodded, as if complementing something before speaking. "I guess anything would do."
"I only know how to make two things; ox shields and swords for the men of this place. Unless you like something done within a week and delivered to you by horse then I suggest-"
"Just get me something that-that could do some damage."
I cocked an eyebrow before nodding. "Looks like you would need the Boomer's Sword. Nearly instructive when stabbed into someone and is swift as it is light."
"Lovely."
I returned with the Boomer's Sword, handing it to the hooded figure. They took it greedily, turning it in their hands before looking at my with lifeless eyes. They raised it, aiming at my stomach and stab. I fell to my knees while the hooded figure laughed...

I woke up. It was dusk, more or less so, I was late for work. I huffed, getting out of bed growling at my self in the mirror; I looked like a bloody pirate about to kill someone. I slicked back my hair to make it look pleasing but it flopped back to what it had originally began at. I groaned before looking at my vest, neatly place over the chair and noticed it had a stain on it; would it be blood? Or maybe sweat? I reached over before realizing it was only a sweat mark from working the previous night.
I sighed happily, putting the vest on over my sweaty white shirt and looked in the mirror once more; I looked horrible. Yet a question has seem to linger in my mind, like the left-over thought of food in your teeth; who was that hooded figure? And why did they kill me? It had lingered in my head until I would have gotten answer from somewhere I least expect.
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu May 14, 2015 6:04 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Teal
This guy doesn’t muck around! My foot is sore from that damn dog biting it, and I think she deserves being tied up. Even though I feel slightly bad for her. But she bit me, so she deserves it.
I’m lying down beside a tent. The fire annoys me, with its bright light and warmth. I don’t need warmth. I have my fur and my clothes. And I don’t want the company of those wretched creatures. The Children of Light. Horrid. They make me feel queasy. But it’s side with them or fight alone. I’ll take my chances with this bunch.
My eyes roam around. The people seem more on ease. I wonder if being able to actually see me and not think I’ll kill them while they sleep is cause for dropping their guard. If I’m going to be using these people to save my own skin, maybe I could do something in return. Not that I should have to. I mean … argh! Why do I always have these conflicting thoughts? Every time I decide I don’t care, a part of me starts to think of the greater good. That I need to do what’s right.
Shaking my head, I stand up. My back leg is a little ginger, so I shift and limp over to the tent where I saw Rhaegan go into. The princess is sitting with her dog, and I give them a good glare before ducking into the tent.
Rhaegan and Ion are deep in conversation. They don’t notice me at first, so I creep over to the fire and sit down in front of it. Fire. Again, I’m sitting in front of fire. My mother had a coat the colour of fire. Maybe that’s what this all is. Frowning, I stare at the ground and start drawing in the dirt.
“Teal! Damn it, what are you doing in here?” Rhaegan growls.
I turn to look up at him and smirk. “Did I frighten you?” I ask.
“No, well … maybe,” he shakes his head and glares at me. “Do you want me to tie you up with Ice?”
I narrow my eyes at him. “You came and got me, remember,” I snap.
“You came here first,” Rhaegan doesn’t look very amused. Maybe I should cut it out.
Nah.
“I don’t need any of you, I could fight the Sweepers on my own,” I snarl.
“You wouldn’t last five seconds,” Rhaegan raises an eyebrow. “What’s with this change in attitude?”
I take a deep breath. “I want my own tent. So I don’t have to look at the fires,” I say bravely.
Rhaegan and Ion blink in surprise. “We don’t have the resources,” he says.
“Fine. I still want a tent,” I jut my chin out.
“You can share with Ion, then,” Rhaegan smirks at me.
“What?” Ion and I bark.
“You heard me,” he doesn’t take his eyes off me.
“Alright,” I bite back a harsh reply. “Fine.”
“What?” Ion repeats.
“Both of you should get some sleep, now, it’s getting quite late,” Rhaegan yawns, although I can see it’s fake. “I’m going to bed now myself.”
I grumble curses loud enough for Rhaegan to hear as I storm out of the tent. The princess is staring at me with a smug look on her face, and I poke my tongue at her. I look around at the tents and wait for Ion to come out.
“Right … you can um –“
“Which one’s yours?” I ask.
“The one closest to the fire,” Ion points to one right near a huge fire pit.
“Rhaegan,” I mutter. “I hate you.”
“Come on, I’ll set a bed up –“
“No need, I can sleep on the floor,” I glance at Ion from the corner of my eye. He tenses, anger flashing in his eyes. He doesn’t like how I talk to him, like he’s nothing. Good. Let’s see how far I can push him. “I’m sure a soft human like you would need your bed anyway.”
He grits his teeth and sets off for his tent. I smirk and follow, rolling my shoulders and flashing my teeth at the people as I pass them. Fear shows in their eyes, and I smile. Good. Just as long as they know I’m not their friend just because I’m fighting with them.

Spoiler! :
Sorry it's a bit short ... if you want me to change anything just let me know!
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Sun May 24, 2015 9:57 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Astrid Fossey

With the sun finally slipping below the horizon, our small camp was dumped into darkness. A new silence rose from it, almost threatening to squelch out the fire. I just threw another branch on it and watched a flash of embers disperse into the air above. The burst of heat caused a few more bubbles pop in the stew, but everything else stayed relatively still.

"I hope you all didn't die on me," I muttered.

Gavin snorted. "You can't get rid of us that easily. No, just a few others decided to retire for the night."

Flashing a wide grin, the fire illuminated the side of my face as I said, "Why so early? The night is still young. And I thought you'd be the first one to suggest a raid."

"Of where?" Devian piped up. "We're practically in the middle of nowhere, or the woods. Whatever you decide to call it."

"Besides," Gavin said, while turning a sharpened stick in his hands, "any places around here would be tiny and already wrecked by Sweepers. Gotta love those sons--"

"Sweepers?" I snickered. "I bet they wouldn't even bother to touch here. What kind of prize would they get from the two cottage 'villages' in this place? No doubt, the mercenaries got 'em first."

Devian rolled his eyes. "Are you sure? I mean, they've caused a ruckus back at the towns around our base, but here?"

I shrugged and replied. "Why not? It doesn't seem like an operation that would be confined to just this place, unless it's a band of rookies set on causing as much chaos as possible."

"Yeah, this chaos is what got your daddy, Astrid, all riled up. Naturally, we got sent on this mission to take them out." Gavin puts the edge of his new made spear into the fire, pushing aside some embers to kick start the sputtering thing.

"Well, my father is... displeased by this intruder in his territory," I mutter in response.

With a laugh, Devian said, "I bet he is! Those idiots killed quite a few good men from the villages and couldn't even a burn a house down properly!"

"They're probably a bunch of teenagers who took a prank too far," Gavin said, continuing to whittle away at his stick.

"Now, I wouldn't downgrade them that--" I was cut off mid-sentence as the fire suddenly doused with a loud hiss. The darkness flooded my vision, and I had barely enough time to pull out a short sword before a scream replaced the silence.

"Gavin? Astrid?" went Devian's unmistakable voice. So, either Gavin was down or someone else, caught sleeping. Rookie! I thought while pulling the sword up to guard my chest. You never give away your position in the dark when you're under attack. Still, it was difficult to discern who - or what - was ransacking our camp with such ease.

I just stood helpless as another man screams before a loud thump sounds, probably of his limp body hitting the ground. There couldn't be many of them, because my companions don't fall one after another, and no one had even engaged me yet. So I just glanced around wildly to look for the effective killer. As my eyes finally adjusted to the darkness, I could see two people clashing to my left, so I jumped at the chance.

The stars above lightened the strain on my eyes some, but just enough to pick out who was the different man. It was easy to catch him off guard, landing a slash on his upper back. While my companion -- Brent I believe it was, but with that dimness, who knew! -- advanced a step forward with a blow of his own, the man stumbled back.

Yet another opportunity arose right as a third and fourth yell sounded. Half of them down already. So, I place the tip of my sword at the man's throat and hiss, "Call off whatever creature is slaughtering my men."

A grin curled the man's lips, but his answer was simple. "I can't."

My grip only tightened on the handle, but all I could feel was limpness -- weakness. So much that the blade merely slipped from my hand and I fell on to my knees. After all, I had just failed them all, hadn't I? Gavin, Devian... likely dead already. Covering my face with my hands, I wished the madness to be over.

"Arealas. Perhaps you've done enough."

Though I couldn't immediately make out the speaker, everything had become brighter when I moved my hands away. Not by much, but enough to see yet another new man, standing by the fire, as he held a makeshift torch. The fire pit beside him glowed slightly from upturned embers.

A ghost of a man pulled his sword out of another body as it crumpled to the ground, totaling those on the ground at six. My eyes drifted down the rows, and only four looked dead for sure, their eyes glazed over with blood pouring from their wounds. Gavin was among them, which was the final push needed for tears to force their way into my eyes.

Oh, not now! But I couldn't help it, so I cried out, "Why don't you go ahead and kill me too!" My voice quivered as I choked back a sob. This wasn't supposed to happen.

Behind me, I heard the first man sheathing his sword as the ghost man in front began to turn human, color returning to his skin. Wait! What caused all this damage was a person? Would this be the mercenaries?

"What kind of a monster are you?"
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 26, 2015 6:57 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Rhaegan

Finally alone in his tent, Rhaegan released the breath he was holding and allowed his eyes to succumb to the fire. Somewhere in the dull thudding at the back of his head, there was a desire for sleep, but his thirst for knowledge was overwhelming. Rhaegan saw things in the fire. He saw things no ordinary mind could comprehend and he knew it was to him alone to unwind the threads of fate and prepare the world for the dangers which lay ahead.

"Those damn wolves again," Rhaegan muttered, his dry lips and sore eyes telling him he'd been watching the flames an hour or more. He wondered if Teal had killed Ion yet.

Always with those damn wolves. However many times Rheagan saw the same images, he still couldn't count the wolves or see them closely enough to know which ones they were. He only knew that the wolves would bring a battle like none he'd ever fought before.

Rhaegan stared into the fire and the fire stared back into him. Only when the fire had guzzled out to little more than a hand reaching through the rocks did sleep come and when he awoke, the fire was completely out and light spilled into his tent, except around the willowy shape of an angry werewolf.

"I sleep somewhere else tomorrow," Teal insisted.

"Would you get out of my tent?" Rhaegan bunched the covers around his neck, his tone a threatening growl.

"Why? Are you naked under there, old man?" The girl's words ended with a smirk that was half cruel and half playful. Rhaegan was taken aback for a moment - was he old? He didn't seem to remember ever growing old but as his hand crept up toward his face, he felt the aches and pains in his limbs. He couldn't think of himself as old, but he wasn't young any more.

Rhaegan pushed the blankets back and Teal recoiled in surprise before she realised he was fully clothed in his undergarments from the previous day. Rhaegan turned the tent flap back and pulled the bucket of water which waited outside into the tent. It was ice cold as he dug his hands in and splashed the liquid over his face. Then he began to wash himself down, pulling his undershirt over his head and only finding Teal's stare as his hands found the ties of his light, cotton trousers.

"If you don't mind-"

"No I don't."

Rhaegan shrugged and looked away, not watching to see if she did the same or carried on watching. He stripped and washed, then dressed again and looked up to find himself alone in the tent. Ion was waiting outside. Teal stood not far away and Imara was almost as close but there was no sign of her constant companion. Rhaegan opened his mouth to ask where Ice was and then he remembered.

"Ion, get me a shield. Go to that craftsman you're always talking about."

"Which one?" Ion asked.

"Which one, Commander," Rhaegan corrected him, though he hadn't insisted on the title before, but with Imara around, he felt a strange need to make an impression. "The good one of course."

"Tyen?"

"Fine, fine." Rhaegan waved the younger man away and adjusted the sword at his hip. It felt heavier than it had before.

"You look like you're ready for a battle," Imara observed. There was a bitterness in her voice.

"No, I'm ready for a war."

And then it started.The screams from the far side of the camp ripped through the air like the sound of pigs being slaughtered and cut off just as sharply before others took their place.
Writing Gooder

24 Reviews

Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:33 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Teal
The screaming reminds me of how my parents died. I’m left standing there, staring into space, fear freezing my limbs. When it feels like I’m about to lose grip on reality, something barges into me. Shaking my head, everything comes rushing back.
“Everyone, prepare to attack!” Rhaegan yells at the top of his lungs.
“No!” I rush over to him and grab a hold of his robe, pulling back. “Wait!”
Rhaegan turns around, alarm and surprise in his eyes. “What is wrong with you, Teal? We’re under attack!” He growls.
“We have to run away!” I tell him. “I … I have an odd feeling in my gut telling me to leave. We have to get out of here!”
“We’re not –“
“As much as I hate to agree with her, Ice is acting odd, too,” Princess Imara says calmly, her weapons brandished and her face deadly. “She’s trying to run away, and won’t listen to me.”
“Where do we go? We can’t just rush into the forest –“
“Yes,” my eyes widen. “Yes, that’s exactly what we do!”
“Teal …”
“Have groups. Imara, you and Ice take the larger group, Rhaegan and Ion take another, and I’ll … Shadows guide me … I’ll take the smaller group,” I take a deep breath of air. “And split up. Disperse. I’ll hide the people and then lead the Sweepers away.”
“No,”Rhaegan furrows his brow. “We’re not doing that. Too many loops holes and risks.”
“Well, staying here and being massacred isn’t better!” I scream at him.
Everyone seems taken aback. “This won’t end in a –“
“Yes,” I cut off Ion, who has a shield for Rhaegan. “Yes it will. I’ve seen it before. We all have. We will all die. My gut is telling me to run, and run I shall do. If you won’t listen to me, then I’ll find someone else.”
“Fine,” Rhaegan takes the shield from Ion and holds it aloft. “Soldiers, to me!”
Surprised faces turn to look at him, and they start to run around and run toward Rhaegan. He looks at me, his eyes trained on mine. I nod slowly, changing into a wolf. My body shivers as my four paws touch the dirt. The urgent feeling to get away is stronger, eating at my stomach. My tail quivers, but I’m not going to be running in fear. Not this time.
“We all leave together,” Rhaegan says, loud enough for everyone to hear.
I can’t say anything, but it’s too late now. Ice comes running over to me and we locks eyes for a brief second before she darts off. Imara scowls but follows, yelling over her shoulder to follow. Rhaegan and Ion lead as the soldiers rush into the forest. The screams haven’t stopped, but they are almost drowned out by the yells and thuds of feet sprinting away in retreat. My eyes search the pre-dawn light, and I see the first of the Sweepers. They’re trying to cut off the rear of the group. Sucking in a deep gulp of air, I push out all fear and rational thoughts and run toward the Sweepers, hoping my terrible, newly forming plan, doesn’t fail me. Shadows guide me.
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:20 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Rhaegan

It feels wrong to be running away. It feels like the opposite of his dream. The shield bumps against his arm as Rhaegan runs at the head of the charge and they are charging away, into the forest. This is not the big battle which has been foretold; this is the big retreat.

"Fan out - I want all of you to push through the trees and regroup at the town west of here." Ion's voice is all but swallowed in the crunch of boots, the snapping of twigs and clinging and clanging of armour which has been hastily assembled. He slows and turns his head to look back at the cloaked figures who have reached the start of the trees. They are slow moving and uniform, like a shadow creeping into the forest and together their hands raise, the dying light of the moon glinting off the silver sticks they extend before them.

"Light defend us."

Rhaegan throws himself behind the tree and the forest erupts with light, but it isn't the good kind. The beams strike anything in their path, some of them shattering against trees which catch fire or are ripped out of the ground. Some hit men and Rhaegan knows that their screams will follow him into the afterlife. They had followed him, fought along side him and now he had given them cowardly deaths.

The tree behind him is burning. Rhaegan closes his eyes for a moment and defeat flutters behind his eyelids.

Rhaegan's eyes opened as his mind snapped back into the forest and he pushed away from the tree in time to hear it roar into an inferno behind him. He pushed further into the forest and looked back only once and saw a shadowy shape loping in the opposite direction. A burst of light lit up the night and seared across the wolf's fur, almost close enough to burn. Teal.

"Darkness take you!" Rhaegan swore but he raised his shield and ran in her direction. A beam of light slashed past him and the smell of burning filled his nostrils as a second beam glanced off his shield. The yak's bone crackled but held firm and Rhaegan swore he would make its creator rich if he survived this insanity.

"Teal!" Rhaegan roared as the wolf reached the line of sweepers and leapt at the nearest, tearing a silver stick out of its hand. She wove and ducked through the ranks, snapping at limbs and scattering their weapons into the trees. Two more shapes moved in the darkness and Rhaegan realised Ice and Imara were with her and felt a sharp twist in his gut.

Almost at the line of shadows, a bolt of light hit the shield he was cowering behind directly and Rheagan pushed forward, feeling the heat sizzle the ends of his hair and scorch the exposed skin of his elbow.

"Arrrgggh in the name of the light, I dispel you!" He charged until his shield crunched against the arm of his attacker and the light stick dropped to the ground, throwing them once more into darkness. Rhaegan slashed about him with his sword and heard a soft grunt as the shadow fell back. So they could be hurt but how easily could they be killed.

"Rhaegan!"

Imara's cry snapped him out of his thoughts and he rushed to her side where she half supported a bleeding wolf. In the darkness, he couldn't tell if it was Teal or Ice but the other prowled nearby and Rhaegan quickly pushed the injured wolf to her feet. She snapped at him and let out a low yowl of pain but fought to stay upright.

"Go, into the trees!" Rhaegan raised his shield to defend their retreat as the sweepers recovered their senses (and some their weapons) and beams of light erupted around them.

Without any hesitation the group fled and were joined by Ion, the only other soldier to have lingered though the faint sound of running men carried to them through the night.
Writing Gooder

24 Reviews

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:36 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Teal
Pain sears through my side as light flashes passed me. I growl and leap at the Sweeper aiming directly at me. My paws push the silver stick in its hand away as my jaws close around its throat. The struggle is great, but the Sweeper falls to the ground, gurgling and growling, as I tear at its throat and claw at its chest. Another Sweeper aims their stick at me and I leap away, running around it to change my shape and pick up a stick. I swing it about and it hits the Sweeper right in the face. Something tackles me to the ground as a blast of light sails over me. The weight on my back disappears and I jump up to see Ice glaring up at me, her fur singed. I shift back into a wolf and lick her bleeding shoulder before bounding off to defend her.
“Rhaegan!” Imara’s voice makes me turn around to see the princess helping Ice to her paws. I join her as Rhaegan comes over to help Ice to her paws and push her along.
“Go, into the trees!” Rhaegan shouts as he lifts his seared shield to fend off a blast of light.
We quickly dart into the forest. More blasts of light fell the people around us, and I have to drop to the ground as a tree explodes in fire and sparks before me. I yelp and quickly race after Rhaegan. A flash of silver to my right makes me stop. A Sweeper is aiming right at Rhaegan, about to fire. With a growl, I leap at it and my teeth close around the silver stick. Pain shoots through my mouth, but as I land on the ground, the Sweeper comes with me. I round on it and, shifting, pile the silver stick from its grip and impale it straight through the face.
Testing the weight of the stick in my hands, I smirk and spin around to follow everyone through the trees. Soon the trees start to thin out, and a pale light shows us a faint path. We all follow in single file, Imara and Rhaegan helping Ice as she limps and whines. I bring up the rear with the silver stick, making sure no Sweepers follow us.
“Over here, there’s a village!”
I turn around to find that I’ve fallen behind. My feet pound over the dirt as I run through the trees to catch up with the group. The stick at my side is very light and makes running easy, but it emits a sort of glow the faster I move, and is starting to heat up. Afraid I’ll trigger the light, I skid to a halt just at the edge of the forest.
“Sweeper!” Someone yells.
I spin around, expecting one of the hooded creatures or a flash of light, but something cannons into my back and I go flying. I land, all the air leaving my lungs. The silver stick rolls away from my hands, and I can’t defend myself. I roll over and I’m about to punch whoever is sitting on me when Rhaegan’s surprised face stops me.
“Teal?” He barks.
I glare at him. “Get … off … me,” I wheeze.
He climbs off my chest and offers his hand. I ignore it and roll onto my knees, pushing myself up slowly as my lungs refill with air. I look for the silver stick and pick it up. Rhaegan stares at me in shock as I glare at him.
“Where did you get that?” He asks.
“From a Sweeper I killed while protecting you,” I snap. “I thought I’d bring it along so we can study it and see how they work.”
“Well, good thinking, and I’m sorry I tackled you,” Rhaegan has the good grace to look embarrassed.
“As you should be,” I snarl. “Here, and hope no one tries to break your spine when they mistaken you for a Sweeper,” I give him a harsh stare as I walk passed, thrusting the silver stick into his chest.
We walk back to the group, and with everyone eyeing the silver stick in Rhaegan’s hand, we make our way over to the village Ion had spotted. I shift into a wolf and trot over to him. With my nose to the dirt, I scent the ground. I can smell a lot of fear, but only creatures of the Light and Dark. No Sweepers. Everyone probably left when they heard the Sweepers were heading this way. I don’t blame them, they’re really scary. Without realising where I’m going, I follow a scent of another werewolf and my face slams into a brick wall. Yelping, I jump back and shift back into a person, rubbing my nose. As Ion walks passed me he chuckles. I give him a glare, but I think our near death experience has given him courage. Or made him stupid. Either or.
“We’ll stay here while we tend to the injured,” Rhaegan declares.
Everyone finds a place to sit and rest. I start searching the houses with Rhaegan for signs of life. Finding none within our vicinity, we go back to the group and I allow the weariness in my bones to drag me to the ground. Rhaegan sits down on a broken wall and I shift into a wolf, curling up at his feet to rest.
“What now?” Princess Imara asks, Ice asleep in her lap.
Everyone looks at Rhaegan, who sighs in defeat.
Of course I am.
Why?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:03 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Rhaegan

As they run, Rhaegan juggles the weight of the shield on his left arm against the body of Ice pressed between Imara and himself. Somewhere in the mix he has a sword, but exactly where it is has slipped his mind. Their feet pound over the grass and the trees thin out, letting light flush in. Rhaegan's shoulders tense uncomfortably as he feels the exposure lancing across them.

There's a village near here somewhere. Rhaegan knows this won't stop the sweepers from following them but he thinks if they can pull far enough ahead, they might find safety in numbers. Or a group of strangers might die instead of Teal, Ice and Imara. This is a disturbing but comforting thought.

Rhaegan lets Ice go for a moment and looks around for Teal but what he finds instead is the barrel of a silver stick.

"Sweeper!" Imara screams and Rhaegan charges without thinking. That scream is an echo of his childhood ad he feels strongly compelled to react, to defend, to complicate things. Because of course the 'Sweeper' is Teal and he feels awkward as he realises he's laying on top of her, the weight of his body pressing down on her lean form.

Rheagen tries to make amends but she refuses his hand and snaps at his attempt to apologise which sends him into a quiet fury even he can not understand.

Some of the men catch up with them at the village while countless others are still lost in the trees or just lost. A quick sweep of the village reveals that its been empty some time but they scrape together some meager supplies and then return to the group.

“What now?” Princess Imara asks. Ice is asleep in her lap and Teal has curled up at the foot of the wall in her wolf form. All of their eyes seem to turn toward him and Rhaegan lets out a deep sigh.

"We rest. We watch. We fight. Nothing has changed. If anything it's more important than ever that we fight; we've seen now what they can do."

"But we have less men now. All of our supplies and the camp equipment... how are we meant to fight?"

The man isn't bold for speaking up. He's a coward. Rhaegan can feel his own spirit gaining strength in defiance of the other's wavering flame.

"How can we not?" Rhaegan demands. "The more time we give them, the more resources they will capture and the more powerful they will become. We have to make them afraid of us. We have to make them hesitate and give back ground."

Rhaegan spied a flash of silver on the ground and bending down he grabbed the silver stick from where it lay next to Teal. "Their weapons kill them as surely as they kill us. We need more. We know this land. They are strangers here and we need only to make them afraid enough that they decide to leave. We're the defense and we've already given them too much ground."

It was a weak speech from a sleep deprived mind but it got a scattering of cheers and a few nods of approval. Then people dispersed to enter the houses and get some rest until he found there was just him on the wall and Teal still curled up at his feet.

"I'm taking first watch," Rhaegan told her.

"I sleep better outside," she replied.

As the pale light of the moon turned into the early shades of dusk, Rhaegan struggled to keep his eyes open. It seemed like an age before Ion came to relieve him and then he blinked and it was full daylight outside.

Rhaegan groaned as he sat up in the small bed and tried to remember why his tent wasn't there. He was grateful for the extra warmth and the softness of the pillows but he might as well have slept on a bed of rocks for how rested his head felt.

"Ion said you'd want to be woken." The voice came from the door and Rhaegan turned his head to see Teal and had to suppress a chuckle. Twice in as many days she had woken him up and both times it was something to do with Ion. Well good for them, the lad could use a girl and the wolf had a unique beauty. It was something in those lupine eyes and the untamed hair. Ferocious but...

"Hey, are you even awake?"

Rhaegan blinked and shook his head to clear it. "Of course, but I can hardly get dressed with you here."
Writing Gooder

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus