z

Young Writers Society

Orphans [16+]

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 am
Skydreamer says...

The Plot/Story

A focus on ten kids who are growing up without parents, in an orphanage, in a poor area where a lot of kids get in trouble. There are a lot of situations they will face, like growing up, falling in love, meeting bad influences, good influences, and learning about life. Some of them could have run away completely and are trying to survive, doing their own thing. The orphanage is in a poor neighborhood (in a fictional country that is a mix of most first world countries, inspired by America, mainly) but the leaders in charge of the kids are kind (for the most part) and care about the kids. A few of them are there for the money the orphanage gets from charity and the government.

The storybook will begin on New Years Eve 2013 (so that it's not too much into the future) in the morning, and we'll keep track of the time. Each post should show the date, time, and then the name of the character. We can only move on to the next day once everyone has posted for the first day.

Characters

You can either be an Orphan or a Leader or someone who happens to run into an Orphan (though those slots aren't necessary and you'd have to write about your character's life separate from the rest), an Extra.

It's going to be a small orphanage so let's say 80 orphans all together and 10 Leaders, we'll keep the rest of the children and leaders as NPCs (Non-playable characters).

Character Slots:

10 Orphans [ages 10-17] (five girls and five boys, once they're eighteen they're on their own.)

5 Leaders [ages 30+] (people who run the orphanage and take care of the children)

Any number of Extras [any ages] (friends/former orphans/people who come by to help...etc.)

The countdown:

Orphan Girls

1. Ingrid Mable (Skydreamer)
2. Lydia N. Riley (NicoleBri)
3.Kitt Herring (@thelostone)
4. Yesernia Polan (@Kanome)
5. Tiana Coter (@pretzelsing)

Orphan Boys

1. Nathan Harvell (megsug)
2. Wilhem Kraut (@Paprika)
3. Caden Brio Quinn (@artsy)
4. Bogdon (@octoberskye)

Leaders

1. Blake (megsug)
2. -Taken- (@Paprika)
3. Aylia (Skydreamer)
4. Piero (@pretzelsing)

Character Template

Spoiler! :
For an Orphan

Code: Select all
Name:
Birthday and Age:
Personality:
Physical appearance: (You can write a description, but please include a photo.)
History/Background (or just backstory in Orphanage):
Mannerisms:
Life goals and dreams: (if applicable)
Other:

For a Leader or Extra

Code: Select all
Name:
Physical appearance:
History/Background:
Mannerisms:
Why and how they know the orphanage/a character:
Their job position (if they are a Leader):
Other:

NOTICE/WARNING:
Spoiler! :
This is 16+ because real life situations and problems and issues can be openly discussed with certain exceptions, importantly no extremes. I understand that there has to be a storyline and drama, but unless it is essential to your character's arc or storyline, there will be no need to write anything along the lines of rape, incest and murder and under no circumstance is pedophilia, sexual abuse and discrimination acceptable (although unfortunately some kids do experience this in some circumstances). But let's just say in this orphanage no one is going to be abused this way. Physical abuse cannot be borderline crazy and cannot be from any of the leaders of the orphanage just like any of the other things discussed above. The leaders do not harm the children in any way, shape or form, they may disagree with the children and try to help the children with tough love, but that's it. Outside forces, however might hurt the children but then again, we are not going to be extreme.

Also, there will be teenage love and whatnot, and sex, but no scenes should describe it happening [sex]. That said, the talk of sex and sexuality is okay and in fact welcomed because these kids will kind of have to create their own morals about it.

Religion and belief are welcomed and encouraged as everyone has their own views and growing up you tend to formulate who you want to be, and how you want to be that person.

More Info

I hope this will be a learning experience as well as a writing experience. Bring in ideas from life experiences, from stories you've read about, and pour your heart out into these characters. Watch them become friends, grow and change!

This is basically a realistic life-drama type of SB. There's a lot of freedom in how you want to write and the rules are basically in the Notice/Warning; pretty much anything and everything else can be discussed, however there must be meaning to the discussion and a point to everything. One more thing, please make sure to post at least once a week, and let's not make the posts too short! :)

HAVE FUN!! xD
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:32 am
View Likes
artsy says...

Caden Brio Quinn

It was always weird to have my birthday fall on the same day as New Year's Eve. I never got used to it; it seemed more of an awkward inconvenience if anything.

I was sitting at the piano in the music room, where I spent most of my time, and gazed at the clock directly above it. 5 o'clock. The Leaders would begin planning the "surprise" New Year's Eve party around this time. Dinner would be soon...I wonder if I should ask them if I was old enough to get in on the plans? I wasn't sure.

I immediately blushed at the thought of dancing and trying not to look like a demented fruit loop. I shuddered, As long as no one asks me to dance, I'll be okay.

The sharp "tings" of the dinner bell drew me out of my self inflicted nightmare - or would it be called a daymare...? - and I shifted to begin walking towards the dining room.
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:19 am
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

Lydia, new years eve, mid-day

Spoiler! :
Self harm is included in this post. Just so everyone knows. And for those of you that don't think that is how things happen, it is with her. Thank you.

"Lyd, come watch the fireworks with me tonight." Alex pleaded with a sly grin on his face. I smiled with a blush. We had been friends for years and years, but he still gave me butterflies when he said my name.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. Especially not with my best friend." I muttered. We both stood up together and it would be our good byes, at least until later.

I walked back to the orphanage, they'd be waiting on me for lunch by now.

Opening the door, I saw everyone standing together and then walking to the dining hall. Thank god, I was starving.

We sat together and prayed before we ate. Without talking to anyone, I stuffed my face, politely of course. I looked around to the others and saw them talking and I felt alone. Yes, they were all my friends, but none like Alex has been.

I rubbed my mouth with a napkin, I had been feeling my "urges" lately, so I excused myself and ran to the bathroom.

Sticking my finger down my throat, I gagged myself, tears came down my face but I felt to fat. I needed it to get out of my system.

"Lydia, are you okay?" One of the kids had said. I sat up while on the floor,

"Yes, I'm um, okay. Be out in a minute." I finally replied. Everything I had just said was a lie, but obviously they bought it because I heard them close the door.

I sighed and continued until I felt satisfied.

I got up, and went to wash my face off that had been stained with red. I was definitely flushed.

Being happy with myself, I left the bathroom.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:55 pm
octoberskye says...

Bogdon, New Year's Eve, dinner-time

I hear the sharp *ting* of the bells, calling for dinner. I sigh and rise from my bed where I had been reading a book. Running my fingers through my hair, I pull sneakers on and head down to the dining hall.

On my way down the stairs a small cluster of ten year old girls bump into me. Their giggling dies as they look at my emotionless expression. Heads down they scurry past me, towards the dining hall. I let out a puff of air which forms a cloud in front of me. The orphanage doesn't like wasting money on turning the heat up. They tell us to suck it up and put a coat on. Heat costs money, clothing doesn't. Plain and simple.

Walking into the dining hall is like walking into a rock and roll concert: loud and obnoxious. Small children running underfoot, playing tag. Older kids telling jokes and laughing loudly. Running a hand over my hair, messing it up, I find a semi-empty table and sit down.

Liza, one of my friends since we were small, comes up and sits down beside me. Nudging me, she asks,
"Как дела?"
We were both born and raised, for a time, in Russia. Both of us managed to maintain our birth language, which is uncommon. Most children who come to an orphanage speaking a foreign language, forget the it. Fortunately, we had each other to talk to, which resulted in us being bi-lingual.
"Tired." I respond, turning to face her with my eyelids at half-mast. "I'm not a huge fan of staying up past midnight just for New Year's."

Same as me, Liza's 16 years old, short, and possesses poor social skills. Her blond hair tied in a messy bun on her head, and bundled in a thick, winter coat, she nods and shivers.
"Yeah...I tried going to sleep early last year. Didn't work." She looks over at the group of screeching little girls having a tickle fight and frowns. "You can hear their laughing from miles away. They're always oblivious to the fact that some people actually want to sleep."
She rolls her eyes and gives me a half-smile. "At least we'll be out of this place soon, Bogdon. We should-"
She cuts off as Dimitri walks behind us. Another Russian boy, but much taller than me. Dimitri has also kept his knowledge of the Russian language fresh in his mind, but his tongue and mind are much dirtier than mine.

Liza's eyes get round and angry as he walks past us. Looking at him, I see him run his hand down low on her back. Too low. Much to low.

I start to get up, but Liza's already spun around and swings a punch toward the back of his head. He turns and catches her punch at the wrist. Giving us both a sneer he asks,
"Looking for a fight, мои друзья?
Wood scrapes on concrete as the bench slides and I stand up. Taking the few steps necessary to get in his face, I clench my fists. I want to punch him so bad. I want to hit him. Make him hurt.

Dimitri notices my hands curled into fists and smiles.
"Are you going to hit me, Bogdon? Surely not in front of your pretty...friend." He glances over to Liza, looking her up and down. Turning back to me he leans forward and whispers, "You're quite lucky to have her. Be careful, or you might...lose her."

I glare at him. He's wanted Liza for a few years now, and so far, I've been the only reason he hasn't hurt her yet.

"Well?" He asks quietly. His expression turning from arrogant, to serious. "What're you gonna do?"
Looking at the hands of the time we've been given
If this is all we got and we gotta start thinking
If every second counts on a clock that's ticking
Gotta live like we're dying...

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:16 pm
NicoleBri says...

Alexander Smalls, New Year's Eve, Mid-day

I watched Lydia walk away, she was beautiful. Every single detail about her; from her crazy hair down to the way she crinkles her toes when she is just sitting there. I laughed at myself for expecting a real relationship with her.

She was my best friend. Did I really want to take the chance of a relationship breaking us up for good?

As I walked home to my apartment I just looked at the view of the world. I might be the only one who sees it, but this world is amazing. The beauty of it all. I smiled and just got my keys from my pockets, luckily my apartment had only been three blocks from the orphanage.

I couldn't wait until Lydia was eighteen, she'd have a place to live because she could come live with me, even if we weren't a couple. She'd would always be a part of my life.

I stuck my key in the lock and twisted, when I opened my door, Megan; my co-worker was there. Just sitting on my bed.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her, she didn't look to great.

I sat on my couch opposite the love seat, which she was sitting on.

"I need a place to stay." She cried out. I sighed, she was in college, she had plenty of friends to ask to move in with but instead, she had to choose me.

"Why do you need to stay here? Don't you have friends in college to go live with?" I asked her bluntly. I wasn't the type of person to hold in how I felt.

There were rumors going around in the store I worked at that she had a crush on me, but no way in hell I'd let that affect what could possibly happen with Lydia and I.

"No. I can't ask them, Alex, they wouldn't help me." she whined.

I sighed, she did look in pretty bad shape.

"What happened?" I asked her.

She pulled on her sleeves and just sat there, not willing to look me in the eye as she spoke,

"I'm.. I'm in an abusive relationship." she told me.

Tears streamed down her face and she wiped it away with her palm, when she told me that, I instantly felt bad for her.

I took her and hugged her tightly, she needed me, so I guess I could help.

"Fine. You can sleep in the guest room down the hall, but you have to help pay something, and it isn't permanent." I told her.

She took a sigh of relief and nodded. I smiled, it felt great to be able to help someone.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. I'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus