z

Young Writers Society

Life on the Line

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 am
artsy says...

So I recently read a book that talked about a high school drumline very broadly for a little while. Reflecting on that, as well as my own drumline experience, I decided I wanted to write about it as a storybook.

Synopsis:
Life on the Line is centered around a high school drumline and pit at Gildridge High School located in the fictional town of Gildridge, Tennessee. This 18 person percussion section is relatively small compared to the much bigger, surrounding high schools; however, it's full of talented percussionists. Unfortunately, like all close knit groups and general high school protocol, it's filled with plenty of drama to go around.

Who can Participate:
Preferably people who have had some band/drumline/corps experience. You don't necessarily have to be a full-time percussionist, or even be able to play advanced on a percussion instrument. However, it certainly helps if you know what you're talking about regarding musicality, rehearsal ettiquette, game day shenanigans, drumline traditions, etc.

How to Apply for a Position:
If you've made it this far, you're probably what this storybook needs.
1. PM me with the subject "Life on the Line Application" or something similar
2. Tell me which position(s) you're interested in the order of importance.
3. In the message, tell me the experience you've had with anything related to this thread, preferably keeping it to musical ensembles. Even if you're involved with everything - which there's nothing wrong with! :) - give me a brief summary of what you've been in/are in/plan to do/etc., and then tell me your thoughts on what you do.
Spoiler! :
This is just to give me insight on YOU, because while I want to have a fun storybook, I want to have a connection and friendship with everyone involved. Maybe that's the drum captain in me coming out, but if we're going to RP like a family, it wouldn't hurt if we were one!

Every position will be given out on a first come, first serve basis. If you're name is reserved on a position, then you need to send me the character description ASAP! If it's not in by 5 days since the time you PM'ed me, then the next person who requested that position will be given the opportunity to receive that position.
I'll try to get through all the messages within a day, so be patient!

If you think that this story book is not for you, you may want to leave now. Just warning you.

Characters/Positions:
Spoiler! :
The Gildridge Drumline has 12 battery members and 6 Front Ensemble members.
Battery:
Center snare/Battery Captain - Reserved for @artsy
2nd snare -
3rd snare -
Tenor 1 -
Tenor 2 -
Bass 1 -
Bass 2/Bass Captain -
Bass 3 -
Bass 4 -
Cymbal 1 -
Cymbal 2 -
Cymbal 3 -
Front:
Center Marimba/Pit Captain -
2nd Marimba -
Vibes -
Keyboard/Soundboard -
Auxillary 1 -
Auxillary 2 -

Being honest, the only reason I reserve the Battery Captain position is because it will help me keep control of the overall plot I would like the storybook to follow.

User Activity:
Spoiler! :
The storybook can change every day, so make sure if you sign up, you can be active!

Rules:
Spoiler! :
1. All YWS rules apply.
2. Moderate swearing allowed. Don't pull a Holden Caulfield though.
3. Relationships, romance, one-night stands, etc. are allowed. However, don't get too graphic. please spare us all
4. Remember that your character is in high school. Parties, studying, romance, jobs - they're all relevent in day-to-day life as long as it propells the story forward.
5. You're allowed to change your character profile as the storybook progresses because character development exists, especially for high school students. Make sure it's realistic.
6. No double posts. Post at least once for every 5 posts. I realize this is a big cast we have for this drumline. Let's make it an interesting story with the entire drumline and pit, not just the upper battery, cymbal trio, marimba dudes, etc.
7. Try to keep any questions, suggested plot points, or out of character conversation to the discussion thread. I'm not forbidding conversing altogether, but don't let it get jumbled up. :)
8. Proper grammar and punctuation please! :smt023
9. Have fun, and remember that you're part of a family now! :D

Character Profile:
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Instrument/Position:
Personal/Family/Musical History:
Nickname (optional):
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung