z

Young Writers Society

Camp of Almost-Heroes SB

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:00 am
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Howl Pendragon. Mid-Morning to a little before noonish, Day One.

Howl watched the time agent's speech with an air of quiet bemusement. He was peeved that he had missed breakfast, but he could always summon some food if he got really hungry. Mainly he took the time to study his fellow campers. For a start, he learned his roommate's real name; Dominick. Howl decided to call him Dom at the first opportunity. He was introduced to the others and introduced himself, "My name is Howl. I'd like to point out this is my real name, it is not a fake name, it is a Welsh name." He glared at Dom.
In all the other campers, save his roommate, were fairly boring. There was an adolescent looking teen, and a stroppy redhead. The only mildly interesting one was a dark haired girl with a strong aura of magic about her. She saw him looking, and glared. Howl met her glare, and smiled.
The hike was short, but apparently some of the campers were not used to hiking. Soon most were complaining, mainly about the mud. The time agent was walking ahead, taking long strides and setting a fast paced. Howl was the only one who did not get annoyed but the ankle depth mud. Despite walking straight down the middle of the path, his boots stayed immaculately polished. A simple spell, but useful. One thing that interested him was the steam which came from the mud with each step the dark haired girl took. A husky was walking by her side, and Howl smiled. Dogs could easily put him in a good mood.
The archery range was soon reached. It was simple and wooden, and the bows they were expected to use, which the time agent took from an old wooden box on the range, were tacky longbows. Even good archers would find it tricky to use them with pristine accuracy. Howl was a half decent archer, he'd shot a few arrows, but actually practicing had seemed pointless to him when he could just use magic.
Dom seemed rather keen about the idea, but he was the only person who was. Doubtless he'd fired more arrows than he had brain cells. Not that that was saying much.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:31 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

Dominik Cadeyrn, Day one, noon-ish.

Finally the Time Agent called for everyone to break and head back to the camp for lunch. There were some groans of relief and some heated glares, but everyone put the longbows down and fetched their arrows from the targets. I could already see some moving their arms in careful circles and grimacing, and I gave vent to a slightly satisfied half-smile. Longbows, when use right, had the most formidable range and power of any bow in my time and the same was most likely true here, to some extent. But they weren't called 'long' bows for nothing. Each one's massive limbs were supposed to be as tall as the user and the draw weight on each was seventy pounds or more- even the smallest one. The girls had barely been able to get their to three-quarters draw and I knew already that they would be wicked sore in the morning. The thought made me smile maliciously.

I could be despicably sadistic sometimes.

I, of course, was used to a longbow that was A) better-made, B) larger, made to fit my unusual height, and C) boasting of a greater draw weight. Even I, whose arm, shoulder, and back muscles knew the form and pulled the string like a well-oiled machine, had had difficulty keeping my arrows clustered in the center of the target with these shoddy bows. Nor had I been able to let the volley off rapid-fire: I had had to aim each one carefully for a second or two before letting go of it to avoid them flying off into the snowy oblivion of these damnable woods.

Speaking of snowy oblivion. Everyone had returned and begun to pull on their coats, which had been shed as they worked up a sweat. The hike back was about half an hour and they would most likely be cold and muddy and miserable by the time that was up. Except Howl, of course, since he seemed to have a magic shortcut for just about everything. Well I had my shortcuts too. The Time-Travel Agents glared at me (or I was pretty sure they did) when I untied my battle charger and swung up easily into the saddle, setting off once the rest of the column had gone ahead. Before we came just about everyone had protested in indignance upon watching me tack up my horse, but my argument had been that Blade had been allowed to take her dog with her on the walk so why was I not allowed to bring my own pet? Besides, my horse would not behave well if he was not exercised regularly and now that there were a few cars in the garage, (as I now learned it was called) I believed it would be appreciated by all if he didn't kick dents into them. So in reality I was doing them all a favor.

Howl seemed to think that it would be a good idea to strike up a conversation with me- the moron. He fell back in the line until he was walking beside me, which was annoying because now I had to edge my horse aside to give him room, and I was constantly ducking to keep from getting whacked in the face by overhanging tree branches. He seemed not to notice and instead began to try to talk to me.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?"

I grunted in reply.

"I've always thought snow was beautiful. Although, the others might argue otherwise. They're all freezing their hineys off,"

I grunted in reply.

"Magic certainly has its perks. As does being a King, I see. What's your horse's name? He looks like a fine beast indeed,"

I grunted and shrugged in reply.

"Hmm. I see," (no doubt he didn't). "Well... anyway, Dom, I figured that since we were rooming we might want to engage in a little more by ways of conversation than just grunting-"

I cut him off with an agitated wave of my hand and peered down at him.
"Wait, wait, hold on. Did you just call me 'Dom'?"

"I did indeed,"

"That has got to be the most asinine nickname I have ever heard. Don't ever call me that again, if you wish to remain attached to your head,"

With that rather blunt threat I was content to fall into silence, but Howl seemed determined to find some other shortening of my already-normal-length name.

"Well then howsabout Dommie?"

"No."

"Domster?"

"Oh please God, no,"

"Um...Nick?"

I was silent, but mostly because I was busy fastening my hands to the pommel of my saddle so that they didn't fasten around his throat. Every muscle in my body had gone stiff and hot as an iron rod at the mention of that hated name. To hear it used in reference to me was just too much.

"Aah!" He exclaimed. "Your silence speaks a thousand words! Is that what your wife calls you? Or your friends? Although I can scarcely imagine you having friends. But that's what I'll call you- Nick!"

"NO!" I practically shouted at him, looming from the saddle to lean over him threateningly. "NO ONE calls me that if they wish to continue living! Where I come from, people don't even name their children that!"

"Alright! Good god, man, you look like you're having a fit! What did I say wrong?"

I took a deep breath and pictured Arwyn, and this helped stop me from drawing my sword and cleaving him in two right then and there. Such bloodthirsty impulses were considered unhealthy. I answered evenly, though through clenched teeth.

"Nikolas was my father. You are not expected to be knowledgeable of the history of my country, but just know that if you ever call me Nick again I may not be able to stop myself from killing you. So please, for your own safety, STOP trying to abbreviate my name!"

Perhaps my rather violent reaction had finally impressed him a little, because for the better part of a minute he scowled and trudged alongside my horse in silence. Then he couldn't seem to help but mutter under his breath-

"I'm still going to call you Dom,"

The soothing image of Arwyn's face dissolved from my mind's eye. With a cry of frustration I snatched the reins off my horse's neck and steered him off the path between the trees. With two quick kicks I spurred him into a canter and we overpassed the column of walking campers and Time Agents, weaving between the trees until the path became clear again and we returned to it. Then we trotted for a minute or two until the rest of them were far behind, out of sight and out of earshot. This time I really wasn't kidding about the laxatives in Howl's food! As they said in this time period, he had two strikes. One more and he would be out. So would all of his dinner. Thank the heavens no one else was as annoying as him! Blade and Nira, at least, seemed like decent human beings, even if Blade made me want to cross myself sometimes. That June kid was too friendly for his own good, however, and something about him seemed wrong... like he was too old for his age. That one would bear watching.

And so would this new one, I noticed as I finally emerged from the forest into the open clearing. Crossing the campsite through the spitting and inconstant snow was yet another suitcase-carrying person led by a Time Travel Agent. He was headed toward the cabin where June was staying- evidently he was to be June's roommate. He wore a long coat that closely resembled a cape and that helped me warm to him a little. He had good taste. But I noticed that he had a certain lean athleticism in his stride, a balanced grace that spoke of a trained fighter. And his eyes were constantly roving from side to side, up and down, looking everywhere and analyzing everything- strategizing. They narrowed when they caught sight of me and we each paused mid-stride, sizing each other up, liking and not liking what we saw. Then we both turned and continued on our way- he toward the cabin and I toward the garage, cantering my horse so that I could untack him and make it to the dining hall in time to get first dibs on a table and food. A morning of hiking and archery without breakfast tended to make one very hungry.

My horse nearly unseated me when he suddenly tossed his head, reared, and danced to one side, whinnying in alarm. There was a patch of scorched grass in the middle of the field and for some strange reason it had not yet even started to be covered by the snow. My horse rebelled against its very presence, refusing to go near it. I dismounted and caught a hold of his head, knowing that the hands and voice of his master would soothe him. When he was calm again I approached the scorched patch and crouched by it, careful not to sink my knees into the snow and get two wet patches on my trousers. The grass still smelled of smoke and the air around it was warm. I puzzled over it for a few seconds before I remembered that Blade had power over fire. Could she have done this? Probably. But I wondered why the burned ground refused to cover and I wondered why my horse had reacted so violently against it. With apprehension I glanced at the gap in the trees where the rest of the group would be emerging soon, Blade with them.

Something wasn't right here.

Millions of miles from home
In the darkness before the dawn
In the swirling of this storm
When I'm rolling with the thunder
But bleed from thorns
Leave a light, a light on.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:04 pm
ChimeraMania says...

I have never in my life shot an arrow with that type of bow before, my arms are sore. Kin tried teaching how to use one, lets just say arching is not for me. As we trotted back I was in lead because Ryan decided to be a little show off, or himself. I enjoyed watching him weave and out of trees like he owns these woods though. He always has so much energy in him.

Once he broke through the trees to camp, he stopped and started growling from his chest. It wasn't loud, but I could hear it.

I looked up and saw the King walking towards the stables with his horse behind me. It really was a lovely creature. Although, halfway there, I caught King looking back. I followed his gaze to my moment spot; it's still snow-less.

I looked back to watch his movements in wonder; wondering if he knew who stood there. Then he turned and looked over in my direction. Once eye to eye he tensed up before continuing his way towards the stable with his gaze down and stride quicker. When he made it in, Ryan stopped growling, yet whimpered when looking from me to the spot.

I was about to talk to him until everyone else walked out of the forest. I stood still as they all passed. Well almost all of them.

Howl stopped beside me and as I glared at him, he looked at Ryan. "What a lovely pup, his name?"

"Ryan." I spoke out, with anger in my voice. I seriously just dislike him, I could feel his aura of magic, too much of it really. When Ryan turned back, he instantly looked at Howl and growled.

'Yeah I know, he's too close for my liking too.' I think to him, even though he can't hear my thoughts.

"Can I pet him? Dogs always makes me feel...at ease."

I tilted my head to the side, curiously wondering if he was for real. I would have thought countless women kept him, as he say, at ease. "You have to pass his test." I said to him while wondering why I even answered. I don't like him so that gives me the right to ignore him. Right?

"Test?" He questions, just as curiously.

"Yes, his test." I look at Ryan, whose growling has calmed. I watched as he sniffed the air and tilt his head just as I had done. He lowered his head and let out a big growl before turning to me and whimpering then looking at the scorched spot again, then me.

I sighed, I know he wants me to go over there, but that was a moment of weakness for me. I don't want to feel weak again. So I shook my head, which caused him to growl at me lightly. Sighing, I start moving towards the spot before talking to Howl over my shoulder.

"You didn't pass it today, try again tomorrow." I know he was about to say something, but I ignored it and kept moving.

Kin and Ryan are so alike, well mainly because Kin and I treated him like a son more than a pet. Nonetheless, they both want what's "good" for me. If Kin was here, he'd want me to check it out as well and find a solution to why it's not covered in snow yet. They love nature more than I do and when I do 'damage' to it, they try their best to fix it. I know Ryan's a dog, but he still tries, it's cute when he does it.

I remember this one time I had an episode, he quickly went into action. First he ran to the water hose, turned the water on using his paws, drug the hose to the fire, with it running, and stopped the fire. Once it was out, he kept barking at me for at least ten minutes. I felt like my dad was scolding me for setting the decorations on fire during Christmas. Speaking of decorations, I remember burning a long strip of streamers and....

I stopped thinking when I was in front of the spot; I stare at it. I could feel it's warmth, it was nice but yet it was cold. A feeling in the pit of my stomach grew, I did something bad.

I looked down at Ryan and noticed how tensed he was while glaring at the spot. I turn back, knowing I still have to fix it. I close my eyes take a deep breath and step into it. I might just regret it.
SHUGGS = SWEET + HUGS (It makes since in my universe.)

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:35 am
happyslappy13 says...

The walk to his cabin alone proved to be resourceful. Tais only wished he had pyrotechnic abilities, desolating the frosty terrain before each of his steps. He has seen it done before.

He and some accompanying Time Agents traveled around the many twists and turns of the camp's structures. They never spoke a word, perhaps the first thing Tais could find some comfort in. Never speaking, always observing; they maintained control without any weakness or exposure.

They led Tais through a dining all, where nearby a makeshift stand stood with several screens. There were few actual campers about, as he's been informed they are returning from a hiking activity. Nearing his cabin, the side of his eye caught a bulky figure, treading in the opposite direction. Turning around, eyeing the clothing, hairstyle, and, well, everything: he concluded this person was certainly out of place. Another camper. Tais nearly dismissed him for the average brute, until he registered the man was looking back. His posture wavered but was generally controlled, his eyes intelligent and assertive. Tais considered these to be the traits of nobility, or perhaps those of a tyrant; regardless, this man was clearly backed with the pride of accomplished endurance that solidified his position, whatever it might be. Tais walked on.

He glanced at another camper to the far right, leaning against a sign. The girl had dark hair, and he could just fixate on her grey eyes, which turned to slight confusion when they saw him. This was immediately replaced with faint curiosity, and just as quickly back to a watchful stare. A Time Agent intercepted her, pointing to her cabin; he most likely was indicating curfew. A brief resonance enveloped the open area as she swore and walked off.

Before Tais stood his own cabin, in all of its faded majesty. A Time Agent motioned towards where to leave his case, as well as a single drawer to store his clothes. These were living standards he was not entirely unfamiliar with.

He turned his attention to the presiding beds, where he made note earlier that one was elevated above the other. The lower cushion was generally clear, appearing reserved for him. On the higher, sat a young man, eyes wide despite exhausted bags under them. Was he not expecting to get a roommate?

His expression unchanged, Tais propped up on his mattress, arms behind his head and eyes closed. He had a rather unique ritual: testing the level of serenity he experienced before he deemed a surface suitable for complete slumber.

"What's that bulging out your suitcase?"

Tais opened one eye. He often disliked answering questions he knew the answer to.

"My Attack Band."

His roommate paused with a slight grunt. "And what does that do?"

"Helps me fight."

Though he couldn't see the teenager, he detected rustles of frustration above him. "Tell me, how do you use some yellow arm jewelry to fight?"

"By fighting." Tais sighed. Arm jewelry?

The teen laid back in his bed, easing up a little. "Well, of course we get yet another fighter in the camp. Are you going to tell me your name, or why you're here."

"One." The response came almost instantly, an old habit refusing to die. Of course, it was in all ways tactically beneficial. It served as both a precaution masking his identity and a dismissive title to distance himself from others. Simple but dismissive. "I'm here because I'm dangerous alone. My... mentor said I'm too fond of destruction-"

"Well, I'm a Prophecy Child," he interjected, voice becoming fainter to the alluring grasp of tiredness. "I'm June. Funny, this is the most I've talked at a single time here, I think."

Tais felt his eyes closing, too. "Same."

Both seemed to stir, debating the need to add anything to the exchange of comments, but shortly deflated into sleep.
"Lelouch Vi Brittania commands you..."

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 pm
AMDDOG says...

I walked back to my cabin after a really long walk. I can't say I was happy either. I really really missed Jack. Sadly there was one camper who had the same eyes as Jack. Howl. I hate him for it. I really do. Stopping at the door I sighed. Not ready to go inside I just sat on the lower step and pulled my sweater more over my shoulders to repel the cold wind's bite. The crunch of frost told me someone was coming. I looked up. "Hey" Howl said studying me. "Go away." I mumbled refusing to look him in the eye. Ignoring me, he sat down a few feet away. "You seem... depressed" He said slowly after a while. "I hate this camp." I replied kicking a lump of grass a few yards away.
"Who sent you?" he asked innocently.
"None of your business!" I snapped.
We sat in silence for a while.
"My wife." he said suddenly.
"What?"
"My wife sent me."
My chip was running out of battery. I only had a few minutes before I became loopy. Howl stared expectantly at me. "What!" I snapped. "I told you who sent me now you have to tell me who sent you." He said amused by my attitude. My chip ran out of battery and I became drowsy and loopy. "A boy." I said, startled by the words tumbling out of my mouth. "His name was Jack Holton." The story tumbled out of my life like a roaring river. Howl listened with a very faint smile. "So there." I said sounding like a child that had just won an argument. Howl looked at me. "So I remind you of him?" I nodded. "It's like you're his ghost, and you're coming back to haunt me." He nodded and got up. "Well it's getting late and I should go." I had drowsed off. He threw a snowball in my face and walked off leaving me spluttering behind him.
"I hide myself with music I never show my feelings, always keeping things bottled inside. I hate to be you when I expose it all. When I tell you how you've made me feel, you'll never be able to look at me the same way again"-HPLYRIXZ.com

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:13 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

By the time Dom woke up, Howl was already washed, dressed, cleaned and preened. Howl looked at the groggy king lying on the bottom bunk. "Come on, it's breakfast in half an hour."
Dominic did not have the strength to have an argument, so he simply mumbled "You're disgustingly cheery for this time in the morning."
Howl wasn't listening. He was busy, measuring out small amounts of powder with one hand, on a small desk that most definitely hadn't been there the day before, and with the other hand he was chalking a complicated pattern on the wall.
He turned to the recumbent king. "What grows up as it grows down?
Dominic had heard this before. "A goose."
"I thought as much." said Howl, and returned to his diagram.
Howl didn't notice Dominic getting out of bed, but the next time he saw him he was strapping on armour.
"Do you have to wear that? It makes you look like a pretentious foot soldier?"
"Do you have to wear that?" Dominic retorted, gesturing to Howls embroidered jacket with ridiculously long sleeves, "It makes you look like ponce."
"Touché. Shall we to breakfast?"
Loathe as Dominic was to accepting Howl's suggestion, they made their way to breakfast. It had snowed through the night, but now the snow steamed of the ground under the piercing rays of dawn. Howl did not mention the spell he had been setting up this morning, and Dominic did not inquire. Both were oddly silent walking to the mess hall. The mess hall, as they approached, was also oddly silent. Footprints led to the door, but only two sets, the other campers apparently still asleep.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

152 Reviews

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:15 am
ChimeraMania says...

Early morning (roughly around 2)

Not being able to sleep because of the redhead talking away in her sleep. I didn't even bother to pay attention, for the most of it, though, I kept hearing her mumble the same name over and over again. It was starting to get to me, reminded me of the person so sent me here.

After a long sigh, I tuck Ryan under the cover more and make a move to get out of the cabin. I made sure to grab my favorite/only jacket and my guitar.

'Stupid Time Travel whatever people...curfew my a**....ugh stupid dreams redhead.' I muttered while walking outside. I didn't notice that I was walking towards the newly covered scorched spot. I knew it was the place, I would never forget what happened.

~flashback~

As soon as I stepped in I felt the heat. It was hotter than my own temperature though, yet I felt cold. I looked around, but I couldn't see. It was like my eyes are closed when they clearly open or when you walk into a room that's too dark to see in.

I looked around, trying see something, anything, but I got nothing. It sent a shiver down my spine. I never shivered and that thought caused me to be scared. I wanted out and I wanted out now. I was about to move before a familiar voice came to me.

'So now you want out? Now you don't want what I can give you?'

'What can you give me that I don't already have?' I had to ask.

'You don't have Kin.'

'Nor can you give him to me.' I spit, knowing it's the truth.

'Touche,' she says. 'But I can give you what he did, what you truly want.'

'How?'

'By feeling other's pain.' She said in my ear, and I turned around in a circle twice.

'I can't love that.' I say coming to a stop. I don't want to love feeling other's pain, especially not if I cause it.

'But you will.'

'No I want.' I say stubbornly.

'Yes you will.'

'NO I REFUSE.' And just like that, like a light switch, I was able to see again. I was able to see the cabins and the forest and, just everything.

When I looked around though, I realized I was standing by a tree, leaning against it. I scowled, wondering how I got there. I didn't get an answer when I noticed a newcomer looking my way. I was about to glare until I heard the Time person/thing whatever in my head telling me about curfew. My scowl deepened but I head towards my cabin anyway, thankful the little redhead didn't make it before me.

~flashback over~

I will still never understand how I talked to myself like that. Although the other me sounded more heartbroken and empty. I don't want to be empty, but I don't have love anymore.

Shaking my head, I sat beside the spot and started playing on my guitar. I not much of a singer but I can play. I played until I felt the sun starting to come up. I quickly walked back to my cabin and got ready for breakfast. Hoping they had some waffles in there and lots of them.

When I made it to the dining hall thing or whatever, I saw lots of foot prints. When I walked in though, I only say King and Howl getting their breakfast. I walked over towards them, seeing as they were by the food, but I looked back when I heard the door open and they walked in.

120 Reviews

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:59 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

Spoiler! :
Sorry for the late post, I haven't been feeling well lately. We're back on track though!

I felt drained to the very core. Putting one foot in front of the other was a struggle and I was even too tired to respond to Howl's needling or needle him in return. Exhaustion did not suit me well- it tended to exacerbate my already caustic disposition and make the idiots of the world seem all the more idiotic. I felt rather bitter that Howl's heavy breathing (which bordered on snoring) had prevented me from falling back asleep after having woken up sweating in the dead of the night.

"Here we go again" I thought to myself as I suppressed a yawn. "I've barely been away from Arwyn for a few days and already the insomnia is back. And even worse, I've become accustomed to a full night's sleep. I simply won't be able to run on catnaps like I used to!" It made me want to punch a tree... or maybe June's face. He was striding toward the dining hall, overtaking Blade and then us. His new roommate lagged behind, measuring his strides and covering distance with steady economy unlike the other young man. June's falsified smile was simply too perfect for this early in the morning! I hated morning people and as he waved to me I snarled a bit in return. The boy ignored it and pointed over his shoulder at his roommate.

"That's One back there. He doesn't go by much else, apparently," he supplied, quite unwelcomely I might add. I didn't deign to reply, though One had something rather witty to add.

"Says the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Prophecy Child!" It was muttered in a stage-whisper sort of way that just made itself heard to Howl and I, and Howl snorted slightly in mirth as June turned and glared at the other grim-faced teenager. I looked over my shoulder too and cracked the tiniest part of a smile.

Blade and One both saw me at the same moment and met my eyes. One snorted and looked away with disdain (which yet again destroyed my recently building warmth toward him yet. Disrespect was not something I was accustomed to,) while Blade narrowed her eyes and paused briefly in her stride, as if she had seen something in my eyes. It made me slightly uncomfortable. Then the four of us turned once again and continued toward the dining hall.

For the entirety of breakfast I ignored others and sat in a corner, away from Howl's frustratingly almost-friendly demeanor and the surly silences of the others. We were nearly all done when I was surprised to see Blade make her way toward me. My horse's reaction from yesterday flashed through my mind and as she hesitantly sat next to me I subconsciously shifted away on the bench. I was nursing my coffee, which had started to go lukewarm, and suddenly I felt it heat up so that it was piping hot. It started to even go past piping and toward scalding so I set it aside. Without preamble I said,

"What do you want?"

"To ask you a question,"

"Fire away, though I can't guarantee I'll answer,"

"Are both of your parents dead?"

"Yes. In the time period where I live and at my age, it's not surprising,"

"But your mother died young?"

"How did you..."

"It's a long story. You might not want to know,"

"Fair enough. Yes, she died young. But it is no longer a pain to me, if that's what you're wondering,"

I paused after I said this and began to wonder why the hell I was talking to her of all people. She unnerved me to no end. But perhaps I sensed that she knew the answers to all of these things anyway, or it was easily within her reach to find out. She was actually being polite by asking me directly instead of prying without my consent. With tired resignation I answered her next questions.

"No... there's no pain left from that, it seems. What pains you still is your father's death,"

My hand clenched angrily against the table as it always did at the mention of his name but with a sigh I uncurled my hand and answered through clenched teeth.

"On the contrary. It's his life and what he did during it that pains me. His death was..."

"...bittersweet?"

"Nope. Just sweet,"

I think she might have smiled at this, were she able. "It's rather morbid to celebrate someone's passing,"

"You didn't know my father,"

"No I didn't. But I could communicate with him, if you like,"

This gave me pause. My brain didn't quite seem to process her meaning, and when it did I still wasn't sure what to feel about that strange comment.

"Communicate... with the dead?"

"Yes,"

"How?"

"Unlike your mother, his spirit hasn't passed over to the other side. He haunts you,"

"You're not supposed to know that... no one knows about the dreams but Arwyn... how the hell did you...?"

"Like I said. I can just tell. Is there anything you want me to say to him, any way to resolve the conflict? I hate to see a spirit hover, especially when they're interfering in the affairs of the living,"

There was a rather pronounced edge in her voice as she said this and her eyes slid away for a moment before coming back to me, as if that last comment was not aimed at me at all but to someone else not currently present. I didn't spend long thinking about it, because an evil grin and a rather satisfying realization was dawning on me.

"You say he's been hanging around since his death, like a ghost?"

"Exactly,"

"Then he's seen everything I've done since?"

"I would assume,"

I chuckled, a deep, loud, manic sound that drew the eyes of everyone in the room.

"Then he knows. That bastard knows exactly what I did! Haha! You don't have to tell that bastard anything because he knows!"

Now it was Blade's turn to be taken aback and slightly uncomfortable. "Knows... what, exactly?"

"To put it in short terms... He spent my entire childhood trying to make me into one thing, so once he died I said 'go to hell' and went the opposite direction. It took me a long time and a lot of help to wipe my name clean of him, but I did it. And it's satisfying to hear that he's been watching me this entire time, raging impotently while he watched me get my revenge,"

"Revenge for what?"

"What he did to my mother, to me, and to my kingdom. But I don't have to explain myself to you. What I DO have to do is say thank-you,"

"For what? I haven't actually spoken a word to him, or tried to cast a spell on his spirit,"

"You don't have to. I can deal with his nightmares and his phantom furies, and in fact, I want him to stay around for a long time and watch,"

Blade let go of a cold and steely bark of laughter, not unlike the one I had just gave vent to. "Well it looks like you don't need my help at all,"

"No, I don't, but thank-you anyway. And if I may ask... what made you want to come over here and do this for me? I didn't ask for help,"

"You didn't have to. When I saw you earlier I sensed your father's spirit had recently visited you, last night,"

"That's all very well and good, but you still haven't told me why you felt the need to offer help. None of us are here because we're caring people"

"I suppose... something happened to encourage me to start caring. I don't want to, creature of habit that I am, but... I may not have a choice"

I glanced thoughtfully around the room at all of us. "We could all use a something like that,"

Blade abruptly stood, her look darkening at my words. Something about her manner banished our small moment of companionship and when I glanced at my coffee I saw it was boiling.

"It may be coming soon, if we wish it or not,"

And with that cryptic and disturbing comment she moved away. Gazing after her with concern, I saw that those on either side of her path wherever she walked suddenly set their coffee or tea or orange juice or water down and begin to suck their scalded fingers. I got up and exited the dining hall, going toward the cabin I shared with Howl. I didn't want to be in the same building as her anymore, and I realized that perhaps today was not the day to try and grapple with my fellow campers. Not when I was exhausted. Perhaps the Time Agents would let me be for a morning...

But bleed from thorns

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:56 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Breakfast was an interesting ordeal. Dominic and Blade seemed to have had an interesting conversation, seeing as halfway through their talk, Dominic had let out a manic bout of laughter- causing mostly everyone to scowl and snap their necks in his direction.

June couldn't help but giggle. There was something so humorous about Dominic's laugh.

But then breakfast was done. They had a short amount of time to let their tummies settle, and then it was time to go and have a camp-fire group meeting for the second time since their arrival.

Everyone made their way to the campfire, except Dominic, who didn't show up until a Agent dragged him out of his cabin. With a scowl, he sat down, and rubbed his eyes.

The poor guy must not have been sleeping well, June guessed. His face sagged too far for the age that he was.

But the Agent was starting to write something, so June tried to pay attention to what it was.

"TODAY YOU WILL BE SKATING AT THE EAST LAKE"

Having no clue what 'skating' was, June allowed himself get slightly excited to discover what this activity could ever be.

"THERE WILL BE SKATES PROVIDED AT THE LAKE LODGE"

The lake must be frozen by now though June thought.

"YOU'LL GO TO YOUR CABINS, GET INTO SOME WARM GEAR, AND THEN MEET UP AGAIN IN THE YARD"

June heard One groan, and Nira smirked at the the agenda. Perhaps she knew what skating was all about... but everyone else just stared blankly at the Agent.

"YOU ARE DISMISSED"

Then they stomped back to their cabins to do as the Agent had said.
100% autistic

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:52 pm
View Likes
happyslappy13 says...

Tais, arguably, has been through hell and back. He'd witnessed the most gruesome deaths, many of which spurred by himself. He'd witnessed the toppling of a social order back in his world, the already violent world plunging into unadulterated chaos.

Things like these had to be repeated in the back of his mind constantly, if he was to ever endure the activities at this camp. Skating? That's how they plan on controlling his destructive force? Is there even a point, a grand scheme, to any of this? Berring often suggested the Guild Wars have broken him. Was this, in any way, addressing that fact? Or did Berring just want him out of his face for a few weeks?

Despite himself, he found his head occasionally shifting to his sides and from behind, as if a nervous tick. Living in a world of betrayals surely took a toll. Even his love... What the hell am I doing? he internally screamed. He was pathetic. Trailing off into a world of thoughts, allowing his weakness to emerge... he not only mentally slapped himself, but allowed a good kick in the groin. It seemed to suffice.

June had already entered their cabin to dress warmly, Tais trailing a fair distance behind. His pace quickened, however, in response to the biting cold.

Well, he knew this part was coming. Slowly, reluctantly, he shed his cloak and folded it neatly on his bed. Two fur coats had been prepared for them, one already finding it's way on June, who so far had said nothing.

Gloves and boots on, Tais turned to the door, but retracted his stance. Despite having on perhaps the most clothing in his life, he felt bare. His mind wandered far too easily. Quietly, he slipped open his suitcase. He snapped on his energy band, a whelming wave of relief surging throughout. He no longer needed it to defend himself, but it honed his mental stimulation. He was aware of every part of his body, and in turn it occupied a large part of his mind, enhancing his focus. With this amount of precision, control, and perspective, he considered his chances of survival in this ice skating a guarantee.

He noticed June's eyes shifting, noticing Tais' hidden equipment. He began to open his mouth.

"Shut it," Tais snapped, openly revealing his band at this point. June only snorted, infuriating Tais further.

All of the campers rejoined only minutes later, though all in sour moods, having rushed with such weighted clothing. Hell, the clothing itself was an eyesore. The colors, in contrast with the bright snow around them, made them all look like mounds of dirt. The smell didn't help, either.

Tais, for approximately the fourth time, met eyes with that King. Dom, as that 'Howl' character calls him, cracked a demeaning grin. "Honestly, I didn't expect you to ditch that fancy cloak. A shame. It redeemed that pale mug of yours."

Tais' expression remained unchanged, hardly faltered by the comment. "And with your new attire, you now possess the smell and the garbs of a king," he responded, adding a mock bow."

For a moment, he could sense a powerful rage behind those large eyes, as if unable to comprehend such disrespect, but shortly after Dom gave a shrug, as if saying 'touché'. Tais wondered if he should dial down the whole groaning, jaded persona he had adapted during his time here, but he kept it going. Another mask to help him feel secure.

Bobbing his eyes around the group, Tais made note of a woman some were calling 'Blade,' though if that was her real name he did not know. He could still make out specks of black clothing despite her warm gear. Her head tilted slightly to the ground, as if she was daydreaming, or talking to someone. The way she usually seemed to move caught his attention earlier, and at first he dismissed it as mindlessness, or unaware of her surroundings. However, he found himself rather sympathizing for her. The way her eyes dryly looked around, spoke of something behind her she didn't want to open. A wound in her heart, perhaps. If anything, it spoke of loss. Tais knew this all too well. How it could destroy a person, leaving a broken shell. He was almost tempted to even talk to her.

But before his thoughts finished, skates were being shoved into his hands and he was pointed towards the trail, as many of the others had already gravitated towards. He found himself joining up with June, wondering what was in store.
"Lelouch Vi Brittania commands you..."

152 Reviews

Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:35 am
View Likes
ChimeraMania says...

Even though they "gave" us something to wear to keep warm, I left it in the room. It's making Ryan very happy. How do I know? Well, when me and the redheaded female walked in he was cuddling with both of them as if they were soft puppies for him. I wonder if he wants a friend to spend it time with. I'll have to buy him a 'friend' when we return home.

If you return home as you left it? My mind quickly conjured up that....those words. But I knew it wasn't actually me thinking it...it was her. I looked around, as if searching for her but found nothing but the redhead, me, and Ryan.

I heard a sigh and glanced over at the talk-in-her-sleeper in front of Ryan trying to get a coat from him. I wanted to laugh, but not with her around.

"Will you get him off?" She said, facing me and sounding irritated. Well at least she knows how I feel about her. I thought, dryly.

Quickly glaring at her, I focused on Ryan. I walked over to him, picked him up along with one coat and sat him on the bed. Then I realized, "Did you jump from the bed baby pup?" I ask him, earning a kind of doggy shy smile from him.

"Well don't get hurt, I'm going skating, do you want to come?" I ask him and he jumps up and nods, a lot. I chuckle and grab him and head outside.

As we were waiting I couldn't help but feel like someone was being watched. It reminded me of when I had talked to King about his father. A good memory. I laughed at the sarcasm in my head. Then the bad memory came and so did a frown.

I remember feeling watched every time Kin is going to randomly pop out of nowhere. First I'd feel his presence, then I'd feel his coldness, then his essence (he'll be standing there then). I couldn't help but look around and hope that he's here, even though I know I will be let down.

I was back to reality when we started moving, people were either handed stakes or they picked them up themselves. I ignored the skates. I don't skate, I rather sit and observe my surroundings that participate. The TTA's didn't say we had to, if I remember correctly, so I'm not going to and they better not try to make me.

Spoiler! :
See shorter than what I usually write, right??
SHUGGS = SWEET + HUGS (It makes since in my universe.)

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun May 03, 2015 10:49 pm
AMDDOG says...

I sat on my bed and put on a black suit. Almost like Black Widow's you could say. I could pull of her hairstyle but I personally like long hair. I clicked a small button on my shoulder which made the suit ripple like water. Immediately it began to heat up. Ignoring the warm clothes laid out for me I took out my skates. They looked like a normal pair of high-tops but the secret is inside. I laced them on and walked outside looking perfectly comfortable in my spandex suit.

When we reached the ice rink I immediately noticed the other campers shivering. I laughed inside mocking them for their lack of athleticism and endurance. I took a running start and flipped over the bank of the pond. Halfway through I ducked my head and pressed a button on my shoes making the blades pop out of the bottom. I landed on my feet and immediately began skating picking up speed as I did laps. Speed was all I cared about. I began figure skating. However I'm sure it looked more like figure skating on steroids. Behind me I heard the other campers struggling onto the ice. I snorted as I heard one of them fall.

After a while I had to turn off my heating. I was dripping with sweat and panting. Blade seemed to have gotten the hang of it, but Dominik was struggling still. Everyone else seemed to be able to pick up small amounts of speed, and then fall. I wished it would never be over. However before I knew it the Time Agents were ushering us back to our cabins. I turned the skates off and walked off the ice.

Then, with a splitting crash, the ice broke out from under me... and I fell into the freezing water.
"I hide myself with music I never show my feelings, always keeping things bottled inside. I hate to be you when I expose it all. When I tell you how you've made me feel, you'll never be able to look at me the same way again"-HPLYRIXZ.com

120 Reviews

Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 am
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

I heard the sudden Craaaaack behind me and immediately whirled around, my usual athletic grace restored now that I had managed to tear those goddamned skates off. I turned just in time to see the showoff, Nira, fall through the ice as someone else give a cry of rage. I turned to look at that too, and once I finally noticed the full picture and realized exactly what had happened I felt my blood run cold.

In strange, horizontal red light of the evening sun everything was etched in bas-relief in my mind, every sparkling and diamond-sharp detail embedded there. Perhaps in the sub-zero temperatures time had managed to come to a shivering stop and froze. The only thing to indicate that we were living things, and not statues, were the clouds of steam that hung in front of our faces when we breathed.

Blade looked like Satan herself. She was standing dripping-wet on the opposite side of the pond from us, where she had climbed out. Nira floundered in the freezing black waters, her muscles unable to combat the sudden flood of icy cold liquid that washed over her. The huge slabs of ice that bobbed and flowed around her had cracked in patterns and regular shapes, and I realized that the reason the ice had failed was because Nira had skated in circles and weakened the ice with the sharp blades of her skates. Blade had fallen in as her hot aura drew the final straw for the ice sheet, and now the entire frozen pond was... well, no longer frozen. But Nira's peril was not what made my heart skip a beat. It was Blade.

It wasn't just her eyes that glowed red, but her whole body. She pulsed with a blood-red light that issued from every pore of her skin and crackled along the strands of her hair, which was floating in a dark cloud around her head as if it had suddenly gained the ability to defy gravity. Through the cloud of red light were shot veins of insidious black shadow, and terror gripped my belly as I realized that we were now witnessing the full manifestation of her hellish powers. A wide circle around her had melted in the snow and the sodden grass underneath was beginning to curl and sizzle with the heat. As I watched I saw Blade raise her hands as if she meant to smite Nira down to the bottom of the pond, where she would surely drown. Indeed, I saw that a black tendril was snaking away from Blade and toward the other unfortunate girl.

Acting without quite thinking, or without quite considering, at least, the consequences of my actions (Arwyn had always told me that this was one of my fatal flaws) I scrambled back down the banks. My sword leapt into my hands of its own volition and I dove into the water, wading up to my waist. Damn it all, I wasn't close enough to help Nira! But Blade's black magic was. In a last- ditch effort, I drew my right arm back and threw the sword point-first at Blade. The enchanted blade sailed through the air, arced down, and, just as I had hoped, plummeted toward Blade's shoulder. She sneered, attempted to bat it aside with the hand of her magic, and then the sneer faded as she realized that the sword was immune. She dove to the side just quick enough to avoid being seriously hurt. The edge grazed her arm and she yelped in pain, her voice sounding like the hoarse snarl. My sword clattered to the ground across the pond next to her. With a cry of rage the demonic Blade tried to pick it up, but then recoiled from its touch as if stung. I heard a snap, a crackle, and a thrum grow behind me, and then a sudden, yellow ball of energy (a spell, perhaps?) zipped through the air above my head and struck Blade. Somehow I had the feeling that had been One. The energy didn't actually hurt her, since she was able to block it mostly with the shield of her magic, but it drove her into the ground so she was left to lay still, winded. Before I could blink I saw a row of iron bars rise out of the ground around her and form a little cage, and Howl stepped up next to me with one hand extended toward it.

"Okay... weird... too much magic happening here" I thought, and managed to stammer out-

"Umm, Howl? Nira's in there freezing to death,"

"Oh. Right," he murmured, and with his other hand he used some invisible force to pluck her out of the water and set her down on the ground by the bank. The Time Agents stood stock-still, the surprise and shock invisible but still evident on their faces. My teeth chattered as I climbed out of the ice-cold water, and as I looked at Nira I realized that both she and I were in serious danger of freezing to death. I grabbed the nearest Time Agents by the shoulder (even though the contact with it made my skin crawl) and shoved him into the rest of them, to galvanize them into action.

"You lot! Don't stand there like a bunch of gaping dullards! What the deuce are you doing? Get off your lazy asses and get this girl somewhere warm... NOW!" I roared at them. They started as if they were snapping out of a dream, and jumped to obey the order.

"Sometimes it's good to be King..."

I turned to survey the scene behind me: the carnage, the groaning and now non-demonic Blade, who seemed surprised to find herself prone on the ground, the rather shocked-looking June, and the other two grim-faced men. I had a sinking feeling as someone placed an extra coat around my shoulders, which trembled uncontrollably from the cold. We all had a lot of clean-up to do, and since I seemed to be the only one giving orders that ended up being obeyed, a sensed that a good deal of that might fall on me. Thank the heavens for all of the natural leaders we had here. I had a feeling we might all have to get over our differences very quickly.

And sometimes... it's not so good...

But bleed from thorns

152 Reviews

Tue May 12, 2015 2:11 am
ChimeraMania says...

I groan on the ground, trying for the life of me to figure out how I got to this position. I look up and around, noticing I'm in some type of magical cage. I could feel the magic it was created from radiating the bars.

I faintly hear Kind giving orders to whomever, I honestly didn't care. I just wanted to know what happened. So standing up,I try using the bars around me for help. Even though they were made of iron my hand went right through it and with a thud and groan I hit the ground.

"How did you...that's impossible." I hear Howl utter.

Finally getting on my feet, I wipe the water from my face with a disgusted look on my face. I always hated lake wat....wait. I look around and see the lake we were in was...well....water.

"What the hell happened to the frozen lake." I stress the word because as I recalled it's suppose to be frozen. We need frozen water to skate.

"You." Came from the camper I've only seen a couple of times. ONE. I look over at him and notice him studying me. I look to June who looks shocked, then Howl with the same facial expression. King on the other hand, I couldn't read him.

King is the only one I don't mind having a conversation with, plus I can count on him to tell me the truth, but I don't ask him. I look to his father, who is around with a proud slash amused smile on his face.

"Show me." I tell him, which he has no choice but to do after my command. No I can't rule over them, only ask for things that deal with him, it just happens to come out as a command.

My eyes turn white as I see what happened through his eyes, which he saw through his sons eyes. I watched in horror as I see myself. Not even finishing I close my eyes and exit the vision I was in.

"Oh no." I open my eyes and look at King. "Did anyone get hurt?" I ask worriedly, because I know for a fact that that person....version of me....she....it wasn't me. I didn't think she could take control when I was angry. I just...the ice cracked and I fell in....I HATE with a passion lake water...so I got mad at redhead because it was clearly the, as King put it, showoff's fault.

Not being able to hear his answer due to my groaning, I bend over holding my stomach. Quickly, I walk through water to the bank closest to Howl and vomit whatever was in there. Once I was done, I look around at the damage I'd done.

Turning, I speak to King, "I'll clean up just...just by myself." He nods and tells the others to leave with them.

One stays a little while longer, probably to make sure I don't hurt them. I knew I would but before he leave I speak. "One...could you bring Ryan to me." I sounded vulnerable but when it came to my baby I didn't care. One brought him over; Ryan making sure he doesn't touch the water, which he hates with as much passion as I hate lake water.

Once in my arms, I cradle him to me and say I'm sorry. Looking up, making sure One left, I started undoing my...her...work. All the while shedding a few tears in the process.

"Happy KIN. I will no longer be the same without you, just like I told you. I should just leave, this place can't help me. it's not safe for anyone." I say talking mostly to myself, too upset to talk to Kin directly.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu May 14, 2015 3:26 am
Ciblio says...

Anja

Spoiler! :
HIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIIHIHIHIIHI
This is slightly short, yes, but I wasn't exactly sure what else to do. ALSO I'M SO PSYCHED THAT THIS IS MY FIRST POST OMGOMGOMGOMG. Anyways, is this good? Also, @Kanome, was my Myleena interpretation all right? I hope it was. If not, I can change it to your liking!

"Ich bin auf dem Weg. Ja, Mutter, packte ich alles, was ich brauchte. Ja. Für die Liebe of- ja, das habe ich! Ich muss gehen. Weil wir gerade in dieser idiotischen Platz da! Also gut, was auch immer. Ich liebe dich." My heavy accent and fluent language fill the otherwise silent air, for it was only daylight and I, Anja, was furious. My mother had the nerve to choose my mind for me! I ought to castrate the demon. (INPUT- Anja's mother only speaks German, so I should probably translate the message, according to what she'd said over the phone, so you guys understand: "I'm on my way. Yes, mother, I packed all I needed. Yes. For the love of- yes, I did! I have to go. Because we precisely arrived at this idiotic place! All right, whatever. Love you.")

The odd, more advanced car speeds through the icy streets, and I hope that we may crash and my awful life will be ended with a piece of metal in my face, but the vehicle rides as if it weren't sliding through ice-strucken roads. I heave a sigh, and before my eyes, the view changes from the back seats of a car to a forest of trees and shrubs, plus a few silhouettes of buildings. Whatever did I do to deserve thus treatment?

I'm comforted by the bronze and celestial metal pressing into my thigh, and relax my shoulders as I begin slyly making my way to the base of my hell. No, scratch that- I'd rather be in hell than this place. I refuse to participate in things that will change me, for I am a legend, and one must not try and force change on legend's, if that were to make sense to you.

It does not take long for me to make it to the shabby buildings I'd seen when I arrived. It's a poor camp, that of my home town. I'd rather be a transport to a Concentration Camp.

Dark figures lurk behind curtains, and a single steed lingers in the stable nearby.

"Despicable," I can hear my own voice through the soft whispering of the wind. "Lazy camp. I shall slaughter thee who cross my path."

And I feel something- something off. A breeze nonetheless not belonging to the wind. Something. Someone. The Time Traveling Agents.

"Verdammt dieses Lager. Brennen in der Hölle, du garstiger Präsenz!" I'd always enjoyed insulting someone, especially if they didn't understand what I were to be saying. Though, the Agent(s) simply linger there, a faint outline of cloth wavering in the wind.

In a swift move, there's a message in front of my orbs, and at the same time Tödlich, my crow, swoops from the white sky and perches on my shoulder. I was used to the razors he called claws digging into my skin, so when he began getting comfortable, I didn't bother stopping him. The message, however, was something I wanted to stop. It read: "YOUR LUGGAGE IS AT YOUR ROOM."

And the outline swayed it's 'hand', as if telling me to follow it. I didn't want to. But Tödlich pecked at my ear, and I knew he wanted to rest somewhere other than my shoulder, so I obeyed (grudgingly).

I was taken to a short, stalky cabin. It almost felt as cold as I did, though there was also a sort of warm feeling to it. I lifted my Luggage from the porch, kicked the door open, and stepped into the disappointing building I'd be living in for the next few weeks. I almost considered going back home, but I knew I'd be thrown out the second I went inside.

Furniture was nestled comfortably into the small room, and the girl on the top bunk was staring at me, a friendly smile stretched across her tanned face. I sneered at her, already disliking the kindness radiating off of her. There was an odd smell to the room, as well. As if...as if I were in the woods, or something. It smelled like rain, and plants, and...well, nature.

"Hi! You must be my roommate," Nature girl grinned, and hopped from the bed with the grace of a bird. I almost envied her. "I'm Myleena Vega, daughter of-"

"Ist mir egal." I grumble, and steer around her so I can toss my belongings onto my bed.

"I-I'm sorry...but what?" Nature girl- now known as Myleena- mumbles innocently.

"I do not care," I sigh, and spare a glance at her before pulling out Krieg, my tainted blade whose name stood for War. I hadn't used him- yes, Krieg is a male, and if you have a problem with that then I'll cut you- since the brawl I had with Hutchingson Gray, and that was because he stole my Chariot before we had the big race. I'd almost killed him, which is the main reason I was standing in this room right now. Supposedly, I was out of control. Please.

I didn't know if she was saying anything, but if she was, then I couldn't hear her. I was too busy planning out my first prank.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19