z

Young Writers Society

Camp of Almost-Heroes SB

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Sun May 17, 2015 2:41 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

So, Blade had melted the lake and was now tidying up, Nira had almost been drowned, and all in all between the campers the whole thing developed into some magic party, where everybody got to cast a spell.
As it was, Howl didn't really care. The rest of the afternoon activities had been canceled, (although the time agents still expected everyone to turn up to the firepit at 7,) and Howl was glad of it.
He sat on his bunk, in his proper clothes again, his skating gear that had been provided for him drying, magically suspended, on the other side of the room. He heard footsteps from outside. Probably Dom, after fetching Blade her dog. It was a very nice dog. Howl liked the dog.
The time agent walked through the door. Actually, through the door. Howl looked up, but the time agent didn't look at him. It simply walked over to the skating gear, and picked them up. It walked to the door, but before it left, looked at Howl. Howl looked sullenly back. Despite the time agent being invisible, Howl felt he was in a staring competition.
They stood for about three minutes, before the time agent turned and left.

Spoiler! :
So I have no idea what to do with Howl at the moment so if anyone else wants to do anything with him feel free.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

"That was insane," One said as he shut the door.

"I think she was insane." June replied, crawling into his bunk.

When Blade had gone demonic at the lake, June had just watched in horror, unsure whether there was anything he could do. Thankfully there were people that seemed to know what they were doing. The King... he was going to be there best bet if they wanted to make it out of this place in one piece.

"Well, yeah." One took off one snowy boot and whacked in on the door frame to knocking the snow off. "You don't get that way without being messed up first."

June rolled over, squinting at One. "How do you suppose she got messed up?"

With a sigh One answered. "The same way all of us got messed up." Then shrugged. "It could have been anything, not my concern though."

That was an interesting thought. Were they all messed up the same way after all? Obviously it was different...

June sighed, "Howl seemed... distant."

"So? It's not like he's all rainbows either." One said, falling onto his bunk. "Why the hell do you care anyway?"

June shivered, pulling the wool blankets over his nose. "I don't know." Came his muffled response. "I find it odd. He was really loud when I first saw him."

"He'll probably snap out of it this evening... all those ladies, you know." One laughed.

"Probably right." June said chuckling also.

Spoiler! :
I don't know what to do either >.<
100% autistic

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:05 pm
View Likes
AMDDOG says...

I can't remember what happened. Not clearly. My memory chip had been soaked, so I relied on my natural memory, which happens to be very, very bad. There was a splash after I fell, or I think I fell, then I was unbelievably cold. I heard another splash behind me and saw boots.
"Dominik?" I mumbled through the water before blacking out.

I was raised from the cold abyss.

Something warm was wrapped around me.

And then I was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bloody Hell!" I yelled jolting awake.

Bad idea. Very very bad idea.

"Ow ow ow ow ow!" I muttered pressing my palms to my temples. Headaches, chills, dammit I had hypothermia. A warm blanket was wrapped around my legs and I was resting on a cot.

"Hello?!" I called looking around.

No one answered. Well, I didn't expect them to, considering the Time Agent's silent streak. The door opened and a Time Agent walked in, this one wearing a nurse's bonnet. She held up a sign and asked me to rate my pain.

"Smiley faces? Really?" I asked taking the clipboard and rating it with no pain. It hurt, it hurt a damn lot but I wanted to get up and out. The nurse nodded and left, leaving me a sign telling me that I needed to stay. Suddenly a watch on the table buzzed. I crossed the room and picked it up. It was the Time Agent's.

All Campers are in cabin 10. Please keep the girl away

"Rude." I muttered shrugging my jacket on over the thin nightgown. I saw my suit in the corner and happily replaced the nightgown. I couldn't risk the door, so I jumped out the window, landing on my feet.

"Ah!" My feet tingled and stung as I hit the ground. I trekked my way through the snow and up to the cabin. I opened the door and stepped in. All head turned to me with looks of surprise. Except June and One, who smirked.

"Hi?" I muttered shyly. Blade shifted in the corner and I glared at her. I often wondered what it would feel like to slip one of my throwing knives into a person's throat. Now I imagined Blade, writhing underneath the blade, blood pouring out of the wound.

"no" I thought, shaking my head. I am not a murderer.

But, she is.
"I hide myself with music I never show my feelings, always keeping things bottled inside. I hate to be you when I expose it all. When I tell you how you've made me feel, you'll never be able to look at me the same way again"-HPLYRIXZ.com

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:35 am
ChimeraMania says...

After I'd finished the mess, I just.....I didn't know what to do. With Ryan beside me, I just walked.
My feet and Ryan, mostly, led me to the cabin that the redheaded female--Nira--was recovering in. I didn't enter but I knew she was in there. That's when they appeared, as if surrounding, blocking me from the door.
"I wasn't going to enter anyway," I mutter lowly, even though they can still hear me.
"You are to report to cabin 10."
If I was a cat I'd hiss, but then Ryan wouldn't like me very much. So I let them lead/follow me to the cabin as if I'm a prisoner.
As I sit here looking around, everyone seems...off, or maybe it's just me. I saw the new people, didn't care for them but I saw them. What I didn't expect was for Miss Redhead to walk in.
For the first time in my life, when she looked at me, I wiggled in my seat, wanting her to look away. I'm not afraid of what she'll do to me, more likely what she'll do to the redhead. I didn't want to get mad or annoyed, that would just be 'feeding' her/ the other me, so I looked away.
I didn't know what the TTA's wanted, I was busy tying to communicate with Kin while petting Ryan. Going into the state I do, I look for him; hoping he'll actually answer me this time.
'Why did you want me to come here?' I question in my head, in the land of the dead. 'Can't I leave now? There's nothing here for me to do that is good.'
'And that's not a reason to stay?' Questioned King's father.
I look over to him, standing over his son's shoulder, again. 'I did not ask you to speak.'
'Ah but you did not have to, I am King.'
'You were a King and by your son's standards, it would seem, not a very good one.' We both look to his son before each other.
'Misunderstanding is all--'
'Don't lie to me, I'm not here to hear a sob story for the likes of you. We both know why he wants you around, but I question why you're still around.'
'Well, I'm helping.' He shrugs.
'Helping whom, he wants you to suffer and you want him to fail, so how does him failing help? How does you suffering instead of passing on help?'
'I'm caring young brute. He wants me here to suffer, I want to see him fail. It's like you said "It may be coming soon, if we wish it or not," so one of us will get what we want, but who's caring for you now that your precious Kin is gone.' He didn't end in a question but that was one hell of a statement that needed to be answered. For the sake of everyone, including myself.
But that question was just a little too much for me to handle. I jumped from my seat shaking furiously, I glance down at Ryan, who's whimpering.
"Kin still cares right? He can't just....stop....can he? Right?" I question a dog with no answers. As the tears build up, I wait for his answer but knowing there isn't one just makes me feel worse.
"I care about you... this side of you." She laughs at my expense. This side is painful, she cares about pain.
Spoiler! :
Hope I didn't fail you guys. By the way, whomever post next, if you use Blade, move her into a cabin by herself. @AMDDOG, she said the redhead's name for the first time.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:54 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

I wished Arwyn was here.
The thought could not repeat itself enough in my mind. I wished she were here. I wished I could just talk to her, just hear her voice once. She'd know what to do. I hated to sit in my bunk and stare at the ceiling thinking, letting myself feel small and scared like a child instead of the King I was, but it wasn't until now that I had realized how much I had come to rely on my wife in the short span of our marriage. And I wasn't the only one sitting and pining. Howl had that picture of the old woman, whose back story I clearly didn't understand. Nira was pining after some mystery boy. One was pining after.... I didn't even know what. I wanted to, though. I thought it would be interesting. I thought perhaps June was looking for something else: not a person, but a feeling. A feeling of belonging? A feeling of sincerity? A feeling of home, and the security that came with it?

He wasn't going to find it here. None of us were. I sneered as I thought of the idiot Time Travel Agents. They had thought they could help us, they could bring us together and make us better. Little did they know, they were just mixing chemical agents and bottling up the explosion. They didn't have the faintest clue how to contain the kind of crazy they had here. Blade was a whole new level of crazy. There was conflict in her- the kind that created violence, and then directly after it, a kind of horrified guilt that makes you wonder what monster you were becoming. I remembered the feeling well. I remembered the torture, the agony, the internal screaming. I remembered how much I had wanted to stop hurting, by any means necessary. Now it hurt more, to watch Blade go down that same path.

I didn't care for Blade, not on a personal level. She was scary. She was violent. She was a disaster waiting to happen, because having seen her explode once, I knew it was a matter of time before it happened again. But I felt a sneaking sense of camaraderie with her, because though I didn't know her circumstance, I knew how it felt. Nira hated her. Everyone else feared her. She feared herself, or at least, some part of herself. And I feared for myself, and for everyone else here. If something wasn't done, we all might not get out of this alive.

"You could go home right now" whispered the sneaking, cringing creature in the back of my head. "Arwyn might be mad. She might give you the cold shoulder. But you'd be alive. You have a 100% chance of survival if you pack your bags and leave right now. You can't say as much about the people who remain,"

"When have I ever been a coward?" I inwardly ranted. "I didn't work so hard to regain my honor and clean my name only to throw it away when there are people who need it. Even people I don't like,"

Speaking of people I don't like. Howl entered, stamping snow from his boots.

"That was horrible and unnecessary!" He raged, slamming the door.

"What was?" I wondered cooly, my eyes still on the ceiling and my boots still casually propped up on the table. He huffed, looking like he wanted to smack my feet down but deciding the better of it.

"That meeting, in that cabin. Nira should have been guarded closer so she didn't wander off. Lord knows the girl's a hazard to herself. Blade should have been left alone, confined to her cabin. It was shameless and unnecessary to parade her in front of everyone and then have no one actually answer any questions. Those Time agents are useless. Couldn't they see she was close to tears? What was the point of that meeting anyway? Nothing! Nothing was the point!"

"I agree," I said quietly.

"What? Did you just..." Howl stammered, his eyes wide with surprise.

"You heard me. I agree wholeheartedly,"

He punched the air in victory, doing a little happy dance. "Yes!" he cried. "Victory is mine!"

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Not the time, Howl. Not the time. We need to think. What are we going to do about Blade?"

Howl raised one eyebrow as he took the seat across from me. "We'?" He asked coyly. "Is it 'we' now?"

I suppressed the urge to snap and snarl. "It would seem so, as we are all in this now together. I may be proud, but I'm not stupid. I will admit when I need help. I am in an unfamiliar dimension, an unfamiliar time, with unfamiliar people and unfamiliar powers at work. We are all strangers to here and to each other. It's time we fixed that before we all die of our own stupidity. Make sense?" I inquired cooly, scanning his face to make sure an understanding had been reached. He nodded thoughtfully.

"Indeed, indeed it does. I could care less about June and One and you and these new people. But the ladies? I'll see what I can do," he said with a smirk. I knew he had completely grasped the seriousness of the situation. He just continued to ignore it. I looked away and made a small gagging noise, which was sufficient to express my disgust for his attitude. But since I had rolled myself up in this mess, I firmly planted myself in that chair and began to explain that tiny little start of a plan that was formulating in my mind. Howl added to it until eventually we were sure of what was happening tonight. The rest... we would simply play by ear.

As darkness fell we trekked out to the garage side-by-side, on the lookout for Time Travel Agents who would try to stop us. It was after curfew. But there were none to be found, and we got there in the minimum time. I got my horse tacked up and mounted. Howl walked beside me as we quite casually made our way toward the forest. Once in the shadowy shelter of the snow-covered canopy, we circled back until we were directly behind the TTA's headquarters at camp. I reluctantly unsheathed my sword, handing it to Howl. For once, his look was serious as he nodded his thanks. Then he spoke a few words, did something strange to invoke his magic, and he and my sword vanished. His footsteps in the snow indicated where his invisible form had walked off, but soon the falling flakes of white obliterated every trace of his path. It was me and my horse, sitting and waiting in silence.

Twenty minutes later he nearly unseated me by becoming visible right next to me. My horse didn't shy, bit I did. I barely contained a yelp of surprise.

"That was a stupid move, Howl!" I hissed. "You could have blown the whole thing with your little prank,"

He shrugged as he handed me my sword back, along with a cloth satchel full of paper parchment. "True, I could've," he replied, "But I didn't. Here's your magic sword. I didn't end up needing to use it. I haven't seen a single TTA since the meeting today, and the Headquarters were empty. I just grabbed the files and left. I'll go back and maintain the dummy spell, so they don't know you're gone. Now get out of here, read those files, and burn them when you're done,"

With that he turned and walked back, and I turned and rode off at the canter. Past the archery range, past the disaster scene at the lake, and past countless dark tree trunks in the whipping snow and ice. At last I spotted a pine tree with spreading branches, and underneath it a dry sort of cave. I tied my horse up, giving him the 'still' and 'silent' commands so he wouldn't be seen. Then I ducked under and opened up the satchel.

There were profiles in it on every camper, both the ones I had met and the ones I hadn't. Howl hadn't fetched me his or my own, but those two files were the ones I was least concerned about. It was Blade's I needed the most. Over the course of an hour or so I read every file. Some of it surprised me, some it didn't. But it was essential to know everyone's story, everyone's station, everyone's circumstance.

When at last I had read to my heart's content I closed up the files and went to put them back in the satchel. An envelope slipped out, which had been sealed and then opened, the contents read, and the letter put back in. A red stamp adorned the front, saying 'urgent' and 'confidential'. No wonder Howl had grabbed it and slipped it in the satchel with the other files. I pulled the letter out. It was printed in blocky font that was hard for me to read. There was no such thing as a printing press in my time, after all. But I got the hang of it after a minute or two, and read.

My eyes widened. I dropped the paper- dropped everything- and leapt into my battle charger's saddle. We tore down the path at the gallop, hooves pounding, tearing up the turf, breath coming fast and ragged, anger making my vision red. Liars! Charlatans! Bastards! Words like evacuate personell, quarantine, sealed off, and emergency protocol flashed before my eyes. Now I knew why the TTA's had disappeared after the meeting. The last ones to cut and run had been the cooks that had served us dinner. The camp was sealed off, trapping us inside it with Blade, with each other, and with the brutal winter. The Time Travel Agency had realized they couldn't control us all, that they were out of their depth, that Blade posed a great danger and perhaps there was nothing they could do about it. The portals were only scheduled to open again once the danger had been averted . Until then, we were on our own.

"You should have gone back home when you could" whispered the sneaking, cringing creature in the back of my head.

Spoiler! :
@happyslappy13 TAG! You're it!

Millions of miles from home
In the darkness before the dawn
In the swirling of this storm
When I'm rolling with the thunder
But bleed from thorns
Leave a light, a light on.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 pm
happyslappy13 says...

One felt oddly at ease given the circumstances. If lightheartedness was even present on his emotion spectrum, he was nearing it. He lounged near June, who seemed under a difficult decision to either stare at the ceiling or the floor. One twirled a miniature version of his sphere between his fingers. He had apparently given up on keeping his weapon hidden. Besides, if anyone was dangerous and the center of attention, it would have to be Blade. One felt unusually sympathetic towards her.

"-and so I guess I never really understood what it's like to be so uneasy. I was chosen from an early age. I always knew what I needed to do and why. But I see all these strange people at these camp... they're like lost souls, taken from their dimension and dropped here."

One squinted a little. "Ambition without a sense of direction. I get the feeling." June was talkative today.

"But that Blade girl, she's more lost than anybody. Honestly, she's like a time bomb."

One guided the electrical sphere around the room, forcing a smile. It hurt. "Is that fear I detect?"

June laughed. "Girls scare me."

One began chuckling, too. But suddenly something caught his attention. He couldn't describe it, but it seemed to come from a faint trembling in the distance. The vibrations, perhaps?"

June continued. "But not you, Sir One. I bet you're fluent with the ladies," he said, adding a mock bow.

Only half paying attention, One responded, "The last girl I was with decided to create an infinite swarm of daggers and chuck them at people."

June sighed, shaking his head. "That's rough, buddy."

Then he perked up. "Isn't it strange that we haven't seen a single Time Agent this morning? They used to be like flies in this place." Soon he seemed to notice the same thing as One, a trembling approaching them. And the neighing of horses.

King Dom was fast approaching the lodging complex, riding with a bewildering fury. As he grew closer, One identified the redness of his face, the barrage of curses escaping his gasping mouth. Howl was close behind, eyes wide.

As the horse approached, One expected them to stop and explain themselves, but instead they kept on going to their own cabins. Remembering the toys he brought with him, One bolted towards his suitcase.

"Um..." June began, but One shushed him loudly. Rummaging through all these tactically useless clothes Berring had packed, his hands touched cold, black metal. Slipping the tight band around his wrist, he offered June his most mischievous smirk.

"Manipulate Sound," One whispered. June raised his eyebrows in curiosity. "This helped me so much in the old days. I... collected it from a few, possibly dead, members of the Shadow Legion. Strategically, there's nothing better. It can throw your voice, communicate with anyone, even make yourself undetectable. But most importantly, you can hear anything from a large range."

June immediately grinned, and nodded with understanding. Both of them dashed to cabin door. Adjusting the band, then concentrating, One held it up to both of their ears.

Voices became audible. "...lily-livered, gutless bastards! I can't believe... you know what, I can believe this completely! I knew from the start something like this would happen. If only I had left!"

June mouthed Dominik, and One nodded. Next, Howl's voice became clear.

"What exactly did they mean by 'quarantine?' Are the exits sealed? The Time Agents have evacuated; does that mean there's something larger in mind? Something... destructive?

June and One exchanged confused glances.

The file was vague, but much is clear. They were out of their depth. So rather than scrapping up the project, they decide to keep us here. We have dangerous people here, howl. Just stop and think. When ruling a kingdom, er... a camp, you must know its subjects. They like to spread panic, create a storm upon hearing such things. We know Blade is probably the most dangerous element, and who knows what the rest are capable of? I swear, all this magic...

One narrowed his eyes. He didn't like what he was hearing. The voices were becoming fainter from distance, and he could tell they were riding away. June looked about ready to chase after them. One held him back, but then decided it was best to discover what they were talking about. One had his fill of corrupt systems, and if this Camp was about to trap him in, he would tear it to the ground. There was no holding back.

"One! Don't do something stupid." June yelled. One ignored him. Slapping his sphere band back on, he readied himself for his own destructive force to guide him. He would find out the situation, using whatever means possible.

He sprung into the air. Rather than hitting the ground, his feet connected with a suddenly-materialized sphere below him. It look a lot to keep it at that size, and it took even more energy to protect his legs from the electrical damage. But once he was ready, he moved out, riding the orb after them, and leaving June in the dust.

Spoiler! :
Tag, @Holysocks. Sorry for dismissing June here; One's a jerk. I'm just giving you the chance to have June make his decision in all this madness.
"Lelouch Vi Brittania commands you..."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:30 pm
Ciblio says...

Anja

Objective: June fetches Anna and everyone else (except Blade, who's kinds of brooding) to follow Dominik, Howl, and June. They go to the edge of the camp and find the shields or roadblocks or whatever.

Anja heaves a sigh as she crouches on the rickety bed, Tödlich balanced on her shoulder as if he were a mere projection of some sort, "Dumbass Menschen, Verriegelung mich weg in diesem elenden 'Mist'. Ich werde ihnen zeigen. Ich zeige-"

Before she could continue her sentence, a loud bang sounded from the door. Tödlich squawked, and she leaped up from her spot, her hand instantly shooting to her blade, "Wer ist da?"

Myleena sat on the top bunk, a fresh aroma around her, "Anja? I'm not sure if they speak German."

"Bah, mit sich selbst, Wichser," Anja clears her throat, and calls out in a thick accent, "What?"

"Um, hey, this is June Ebborsyn?" A voice calls from the other side of the door, and Anja grimaces.

"Go away, girl, we do not need you," Anja grumbles, and releases her blade. Tödlich hummed a sound, and pecked nervously at her flack jacket. She swung the front door open, anyways, and stared stony-faced at the short girl-boy in front of her. "Why bother us at this time?"

Anja had spent the day avoiding everyone, averting her eyes whenever she was around anyone, and attempting to get out of activities, which was actually surprisingly easy, because none of the TTA's came and tried to force her to go. Tödlich had kept her updated on as much as he could, just from eavesdropping on conversations going on around them and just whatever he could pick up.

The person at the door stood at about 4'1, maybe 4'2-- over a foot shorter than Anja herself. He-she had blonde hair that was long enough to give him that feminine vibe, but the face that said he was a male-- though his features were a bit different. Maybe he was a transvestite. Anja held back a snicker, and held herself back from pinching his/her cheeks. This child made Tödlich create a rumbling sound in his chest, indicating that this kid either had bad news or was a bad person. Either or, Anja didn't want to get involved.

"I'm not a girl," The small person growls a pitiful growl, and shifts from one foot to the other. "Something's going on. We're gathering up everyone to go check it out."

"Not interested," She frowns, and goes to slam the door in his/her face, but before she could Myleena stepped forward, so graceful, so quiet. Anja was too close. She could smell fresh water and dirt and plants, but it was a light, airy smell. She stepped away, glaring at nothing. "Weibsbild."

Trailing behind the He-she were two, maybe three others that Anja had seen at the activities. Scoundrels. All of them. Filthy, useless sc-

"Anja, whether you like it or not, we have to go," Myleena's soft, soothing voice flooded her ears, and she wanted to pull out her dagger and make a run for it, go home, never worry about this again. Like it never happened. But she couldn't. Because she'd already tried...and it didn't work. Some kind of barrier. Tödlich chirped a raspy, ugly sound that seemed as though he was agreeing with Myleena. The backstabbing piece of-

Anja, instead of being hostile and a little too violent with the people telling her what to do, nods and, in the spur of the moment, slings her bag over her shoulder and grumbles something about murdering everyone once she got the chance to, then jogged off after the others, as they'd already left-- her bird flying after her.

They followed the ones called 'Dominik', something like 'Bark', and 'May'. The last two, she was still confused about. Maybe it was 'Woof' and 'December'.

Anja's feet, for the first time since a child, were sore. They'd been wandering, gathering campers, and discussing the situation at hand. Tödlich had taken off to get insight on whatever he could.

"Dummes Mädchen," She calls ahead of her, glaring daggers at the He-she, "When do we get to location?"

The one called March, or whatever, glanced behind him/herself, and squinted his/her eyes, "What does that mean?"

His/her lip trembled the slightest. Sweat beaded his/her forehead. Either he-she was hot, or nervous. And it was below 20 degrees out here. Anja smirked, and started making assumptions as to what was wrong: he-she was afraid of outside, he-she didn't like people, he-she was deathly afraid of snow because he-she had a bad experience, he-she-

"Whatever," He-she grumbles, or at least she thought it was him/her, before they all started walking again. Where was she?

"Dummes Mädchen," Anja repeats, a sense of satisfaction washing over her because she knew something he-she didn't, "It means I call you Stupid Girl."

"I'm not a-" He-she cuts him/herself off as they approach a barren area- tall pieces of wood now surrounded the camp, though Anja had not noticed this before, and above that, a glimmer of invisible waves ripples the air, just visible enough for her trained eyes to see.

Myleena, who is now running her finger along the wood, frowns uncertainly, "Endangerment to environment."

Anja wondered why Nature girl was here. She did not care enough to ask, but still, the thought skipped around her mind, poking at her brain, forcing her to think of some reason as to why a girl like this was in a place like this. Then again, why were any of them here? Why was she here?

"We need to figure something out," Someone, Anja wasn't sure who, stated clearly. "Before it's not just the environment that's in danger."

Anja rolled her eyes. Drama was never her strong suit. Tödlich swoops back down from across the buildings, and digs his claws into Anja's arm once he lands, his little chest huffing in and out. Bad news. He had bad news.

"Na ja, Scheiße," Anja shakes her head, and presses her ear closer to Tödlich's beak as he began chattering nonsense, "Sind wir nicht für eine Behandlung?"

The campers stared at her as though she was crazy, and she grimaced at the information she was receiving. Not good. Not good at all.

"English, Anja," Myleena muttered next to her, with her eyes trained on the slick black bird perched on Anja's shoulder. "Please."

"Ah, how do you say this is your English?" Anja pauses, and raises her eyebrows in question, "We're fucked?"

Spoiler! :
So, I'm extremely sorry for taking SO long to get a post in. Not going to make any excuses, I just wanted to apologize. I know this post isn't long, and I probably misinterpreted June, and if that's the case then just tell me and I'll fix it. Also, I hope you guys enjoyed Anja's perspective over June. I thought it'd be funny to do the name thing, too. Tell me what you think!
Edit-- I made it slightly longer, since I couldn't stand the fact that it was so short. The bad information that the crow brings to her can be anything. Get creative. I honestly don't care what you (whoever wants to take it into their duty to come up with something) do, as long as it's bad.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:30 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

Dominik

We all listened as Anja explained, in lilting, heavily accented speech, what her bird had found out for her. One and June, standing side-by-side, started to go red in the face with anger. Howl rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands. Myleena shook her head and looked at the invisible force field with wide, worried eyes. As Anja finished delivering her grim news, Nira sat down hard in the snow. I was standing between her and Howl. She put her head in her hands.

"So that's it," she said disbelievingly. "Blockades. All the roads and paths, blockaded. They're guarding us. We're fucked. Screwed. Going to hell in a handbasket,"

"Come now, we're not-" Myleena began. Nira interjected loudly,

"We are! Don't deny it! Even if we break through the force field, which, I can tell you, is not going to be easy, they'll be out there waiting to grab us and probably kill us. The barrier is technology from my dimension, I know about it. Breaking through that thing is going to exhaust us, maybe even kill us. The survivors won't be strong enough to combat another threat,"

With a sneer of disgust I grabbed her by the arm and hauled her to her feet.

"Quit whining, girl," I snarled. "We'll get through this. You wanna know why? Because I fully intend to make it home to my wife, and see my child born. Devil take the hindmost. We're smart and resourceful, all of us. Some of us possess power gods could only dream of. Those bastard Time Travel Agents underestimated us, and we're going to make them pay the price!"

To my immense surprise, One stepped up beside me and looked around at our motley group with a fierce grin in his eyes. It occurred to me that he might actually be enjoying this- the danger, the adventure, the smell of a fight hanging in the air around us. I recognized the look of a blood junkie when I saw one. After all, it took one to know one.

"I'm with Dominik. I hate this place, and frankly, I hate the lot of you. I'm going home to people I can tolerate, and battles I know how to fight. So the rest of you can jump on the bandwagon, or go lay down and die. It's your choice,"

I glanced around at him, and at all of the rest of us. There was a chorus of grim nodding and determined looks. Then June stepped forward with a dry chuckle.

"Alright guys, way to have a chick flick moment. But we need a plan if we're going. Has anyone got a clue of what to actually do?"

I drew a blank, and to judge by the looks around me, most of us were. Then Nira gave a put-upon sigh and raised her hand to draw attention to herself.

"I know about the shields. Like I said. Very hard to break,"

"But there is a way?" mentioned Howl. Nira nodded, and began to explain.

"I've done it once or twice, but never on such a big scale. These things are dangerous to mess with- they're supposed to be impenetrable. They're formed with a lot of magnetics and different kinds of energy, projected in thinly separated layers. There are two safeguards on the inside and outside- neutral energy, so we could touch it without getting fried. The magnetics keeps the neutral energy in place. The internal layers are made of volatile but very strong energies, with neutral energies between as buffers. Some of those internal layers are okay to touch, but some aren't. Breaking through the wrong layers without protecting it is like setting off a nuclear bomb. The magnets are usually in the ground both inside and outside the barrier. Tampering with them will let all the energy dissipate, and the different layers will mix. Boom. If you switch off the energy's generators one by one, the shield will be thrown into disarray. Boom. If you shut them all down simultaneously the shield will cease to exist, but it takes twenty people to accomplish that. Also, the generators are most likely miles away from here,"

"What if we rupture the lines that feed the energy from the generators to the magnets?" wondered One, who was among the technologically proficient in the group. I was mostly lost- my education, which was considered prestigious in my time, did little to help me. One's idea sounded like a good one, but Nira shook her head.

"It might end the barrier's existence, but all of that energy spilling out into the air would probably end our existence as well. Boom. That's why it's used only in dire circumstances, by many trained professionals and engineers,"

Anja grew impatient and began to crowd Nira, as if she were looking for a fight.

"You keep talking 'boom, boom, boom,' but all I see is smoke and mirror. If you know so much, how come you not able to break it, huh?"

Nira spit defiantly on the ground by her feet, giving Anja a look that said the next one was going in the other girl's face.

"I do know how to break it, and you'll find out how if you back the hell off and let me finish,"

I took them by the shoulders and moved them apart a few inches. "Anja, try not to start a fight. We need to work together here, however distasteful it may be," I admonished gently. "Nira, she is right in a sense. You need to talk fast. We're running out of time. We're all in danger and things could go downhill at any moment,"

Nira snorted, but finally continued.

"Back where I come from, if you wanted to penetrate a barrier, you needed two strong electromagnets, lots of industrial grade rubber tubing, a null-space generator, fuel for it, and someone technically skilled to put everything together and implement it safely. The holes we made were very small- barely big enough to slip your arm through. The breaches couldn't be sustained for very long, since the fail-safes kick in eventually and snap the barrier back into place. If your arm was still in the hole when the fail-safes closed the breach, you could lose it. I've seen someone get their hand chopped off trying to deliver a message through a force field like this one,"

Howl grinned, to everyone's surprise (and Nira's annoyance).

"What, you think something's funny, jackass?" Nira snapped.

"Only your long faces," he quipped. "You're all forgetting something. We might not have all those things you said but we do have something you never had back home. I have magic, like Dominik said- power that gods could only dream of. One has his weapons, which, I'm pretty sure, have to do with energy manipulation, am I right?"

One nodded. Everyone was perking up now that they were starting to see what Howl had in mind. Howl kept going.

"Dominik has his sword, which I'm pretty sure is indestructible to some degree. Lord knows I've tested it and it's shocked and frustrated me every time. I still can't understand the thing. If it can't penetrate the field, I'll eat my hat,"

Myleena giggled- Howl's hat was, after all, a big and gaudy one.

"What's more, we have Nira, who understands how we might be able to make this work without blowing ourselves up. June, you're from a futuristic dimension like hers. Know a thing or two?"

June nodded.

"Good, you can help her,"

Now it was my turn to step in.

"This is a fantastic plan we're getting at, but we have a problem," I pointed out. "The blockades. If One is going to be using his weapons on the shield, Nira, June, and Howl are busy keeping it open and not going boom, and they're using my sword to punch through, we'll be vulnerable. Anja can fight with me, of course, but we won't be much use against modern weapons. I can say Myleena isn't much one for fighting, having read her file. Is there any way we can get through by stealth, and sneak past the blockades? Most of us will be on foot, so we won't have much speed on our side,"

Nira shook her head grimly. "I've never tried breaching a shield like this. I don't know how stealthy it will be, if we'll be able to make a breach big enough for us to get through, or if we'll even survive it. Plus, my guess is that the TTA's are wired up to an alarm system. If we punch through, or even get past the first safeguard layer, they'll know exactly where we are and what we're trying to do. They'll be on us in an instant, and, like Dominik said, we'll be defenseless. They'll wipe us out before they let us escape,"

The obvious solution to the problem presented itself to me immediately, but it wasn't a nice one. I sighed.

"Well, you said the TTA's are rigged up to an alarm. If someone were to go to the opposite end of the camp from us and stage a distraction, that would take attention away from us,"

Nira's face went white as a sheet as she realized what I was saying. "Dominik, the distraction would have to be massive. It would have to be- god, I'm not even sure I can describe how big it would have to be. It would have to be big enough to draw every single TTA away from their post. Whoever was staging it would have to keep distracting for more than twenty minutes, at the least. And most of all, they would have to remain behind after they were done. We wouldn't be able to keep the breach open from the outside long enough for them to make it. We'd need to take every second of spare time getting away. I mean, who here even has the power to stage that huge an event? Who here is willing to do that? We all have homes to go to, even if they're broken, dysfunctional homes. We all have reasons to live,"

There was a long silence. I think we all sat there for more than a minute, pondering the one huge flaw in our master plan. We all sat and watched our only hope start to crash and burn. There were so many flaws. Half of our plan was based on 'what if's. There were so many things that could go wrong, my head started to reel. A million and one memories flashed before my eyes, of my wife, of my kingdom, of all the things that had happened to me that I had overcome. That great hope that I had been holding onto this whole time, that I would return home and become a father, was slowly flickering and dying in my chest. I wasn't the only one either. In the eyes of each of my comrades I saw despair.

"I'll do it,"

We all started, giving vent to startled shouts, which immediately turned into a clamor of hostility. Blade was standing behind us.

My hand immediately went to my sword, and One's hands and feet started to glow. Howl went for something inside his coat. Blade threw her hands up and stepped back before we all attacked her. We relaxed some- not a lot, but some- when we saw that she wasn't in attack mode.

"What did you say?" I wondered. She huffed.

"You heard me. I'll do it. I'll make your distraction,"

Nira shifted uncomfortably on her feet. "Are you sure that's wise? You're giving up a lot,"

Blade sighed. "It's my fault this is happening. I couldn't control myself... I couldn't control her and now she's putting us all in danger. I'm taking a risk by being here with you, when I should be as far away from you as possible. So I'm offering this as a solution. You weren't planning on taking me with you anyway. You were planning on leaving me inside the shield. Don't worry- I agree with you,"

Myleena approached Blade and laid a hand on her shoulder.

"Your conflict is not your life. You should not throw away your life so lightly," she advised. Part of me thought the girl was speaking bullshit, but part of me agreed. I was about to echo the sentiment when Blade brushed Myleena off.

"Don't you be so worried about me. I'm planning on facing her now- that'll be my distraction- and if I come out on the other side without letting her take over, I'll be able to leave the barrier. I can travel beyond the veil of living and dead, and come out at any time, in any place"

June's eyes went wide. "You mean you could have left this whole time?"

Blade shrugged shyly. "Well, sort of. I mean, I haven't traveled through the veil for awhile because I've been... uh... avoiding the other side. There's someone there... two someones, actually... I haven't wanted to meet. But, like I said, if I survive the 'distraction' hopefully my problems in that respect will be resolved. If I don't try to fix it I'll probably die anyway,"

Anja crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

"Die why? What problem you have?"

Blade bristled. "None of your damn business is what I have!"

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Quit quibbling, all of you," I snapped, then turned to Blade.

"Are you sure about this? Are you really willing to risk all of this, for us? We can figure something else out. I'm sure of it,"

Howl nudged me and whispered, "I'm not so positive, and I'm not the only one thinking it. We wanted to leave her behind for a reason. Let her redeem herself, or whatever it is she wants to do, and let's get ourselves out of here alive,"

I pushed Howl back and ignored him. "Nobody needs to be redeeming themselves of anything," I affirmed.

"Easy for you to say," snapped One. I growled 'shut up'.

"I'm sure, Domink," said Blade. "You all said you wanted to go home. You all have homes to go to. I have nothing... except Ryan." She wiped at her eyes very briefly as she mentioned the dog. "As long as you promise to take care of him, I'll do everything within my power to help you all escape. I give you my word,"

Myleena took a step forward. "I will care for Ryan the dog," she promised. Blade nodded her thanks, extending a hand to shake with Myleena. The other girl took it, and then swept her up into a hug.

'Thank you, Silver Raine Blade," she said. Blade seemed surprised and uncomfortable, and eventually she slipped out of Myleena's grasp. I shook Blade's hand, repeating the sentiment. Howl did too, and eventually everyone took the chance to say goodbye and thank-you to her. I could have sworn, by the small smile she was trying to conceal and by the gentle blush that colored her features, that she was touched and saddened by this. When we were done she bid us farewell, turned, and started walking away, without looking back. Her step hesitated once or twice, as if she were going to, but she never did. We watched as her shape slipped out of focus into the gray snowy blur of the forest around us, and eventually she disappeared from view.

Millions of miles from home
In the darkness before the dawn
In the swirling of this storm
When I'm rolling with the thunder
But bleed from thorns
Leave a light, a light on.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:29 pm
ChimeraMania says...

Once I felt I was far enough, I took a deep breath and released it. Trying my best not to smile. I don't want to cry. I felt something, it didn't scare me, but I haven't felt like that in a long time.
"You would be proud of me."
"I was always proud of you." I froze and blinked, wondering if I heard correctly.
"Kin?"
"I will always be proud of you." He seem to have corrected himself by saying. The tears I've been trying to save from feeling accepted by everyone finally spill. At that moment, I felt happy again.
I felt the urge to go to the other side. I wanted to ignore it, but something in me told me not to. So I do.
Closing my eyes, I envision myself there but I wasn't greeted by Kin.
'King? What do you want?'
'You are never going to let this go but make sure Dom... my son makes it out of here.' I could feel the smirk tugging at my lips. 'Don't even say it bec..'
'Fine, fine.'
'And one more thing. If you don't want to lose yourself, then you might want to find something to live for.'
Before I could question him on that, I got this ire feeling. It was one of sadness, as though someone has died, although not yet. Like someone is morning someone who will die. Then, as I opened my eyes, I was back in the dome and feeling happy?
'Don't listen to that old mistake of a man; you won't make it out without me. Plus you don't have anything to live for.'
'Then I guess we'll stay here...forever.'
'Oh no, I will make it out while you...not so much.'
'How? You said I can't make it out without you, so you shouldn't be able to leave without me.'
'Oh I have a way.' She ends with a cackle and my mind flashing to the others.
We all have homes to go to... We all have reasons to live. Then my mind flashes to that feeling.
'No.'
'Oh yes.'
I look back at where I came, to where they might still be; planning out the details. I can't let anyone die for her to get out. Looks like I did find something to live for. Thinking back to the others, I start some planning of me own.
Spoiler! :
I don't know how to do or end this but anyway, someone else go. Who ever goes could just start the others planning.
SHUGGS = SWEET + HUGS (It makes since in my universe.)

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson