Young Writers Society

The Lost Ones

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 am
Elinor says...

Character Spreadsheet

Twenty-five year old Jason Pollux was unknown when his first film, December Star, was released to critical and commercial acclaim. But the film, an intimate romantic drama about a homeless girl with a passion for music, was hailed as not just the best of the year but one of the best in recent memory. Nominated for thirteen oscars and winning nine, Pollux became not only the youngest to ever win Best Director, but his star, fifteen year old Alicia Caine, won Best Actress. The two of them were catapulted into super stardom, and the media grew eager to see what they would achieve next in their careers.

After a few moderate successes, Alicia decided to take a break from films (and from stardom) to keep a low profile as a drama student at NYU. All eyes were now on Jason. In his turn on the awards circuit, he'd been called a visionary, a great director of the modern age. But for whatever reason, whether it be cockiness, laziness, or something else, the quality of his films declined sharply. The public began to grow bored and lost interest in him. The media said that whatever had made December Star so good had been a fluke, and that Pollux was finished. Realizing this, he grew frustrated. He needed to prove them wrong, at any cost. He had to ensure that his next film would be his greatest yet.

Called The Lost Ones, it was a science fiction epic about an alternate history in which Germany had won World War II. In the alternate present, the Third Reich ruled the world. Each month, as a rite of passage, seven eighteen year olds from each of the former allied nations are sent are to the Amazon Rainforest to face a variety of deathly challenges. If they survive, they are welcome backed into society.

Buzz for the new film starts to stir just as Alicia graduates college and accepts a lucrative new role as Supergirl in a highly anticipated miniseries reboot of Superman--with all star writers, cast and crew at the helm. Catching wind of the media buzz surrounding the TV show, Pollux realizes that he has to have his leading lady back. And so, when Alicia quits the Superman project before filming begins in favor of a role in The Lost Ones--the media thinks that the movie ought to be very good. The cast is rounded out by a team off A-list stars, and the crew is filled with the best of their respective crafts.

Billed with the potential to be Pollux's great comeback, and perhaps see Oscar gold, the media is woefully unaware of the measures that Pollux is willing to take to ensure that his film is never forgotten.

You are one of the actors portraying one of the seven central characters of the film. Except for Alicia--who, for some reason, is distant and antisocial--you all get along great, and couldn't be happier to working on such an exciting project. Before moving on location to the Amazon, filming lasts two weeks in Los Angeles and seems to be a dream come true. You're flown on Pollux's private jet to Brazil, and even given a little time to sightsee. But very soon, things start to go wrong.

It's just you and the six other actors plus the crew and Pollux. You're not staying in a hotel, but rather camping on location. Jason doesn't allow you to contact your family. You have no stunt doubles. Slowly, the exciting adventure of filming this movie turns into a living hell. Slowly, you learn of his plans that he intends everything that happens in the movie - including the deaths of all but one--be completely real. And there is no way out.

Rules

- Be respectful of your co-writers, and communicate actively with them.

- Keep content at a PG-13 level.

- If you join this storybook, I am going to expect that you will be committed. This means posting on a regular basis. If there is going to be a period of time where you wont be able to post for whatever reason, please shoot me a PM.

- Refer to the DT for all discussion.

Slots

Spoiler! :
While the biography of your character is entirely up to you, much variety as possible definitely would be nice; and keep in mind to make it realistic for a young adult actor that would have been able to snag a role in a feature film of this caliber. As far as the characters that you're portraying within the film--we'll get to all of that later.

Alicia Caine (Lead) - Elinor Brynn
Birkhoff
Sienna Riley (Supporting) - Iggy
StellaThomas
Valerie Bridges (Supporting) - pretzelsing
TinyJarStoredDreams
Actor #7

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (18-25)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Please include a picture. Written description is optional but encouraged)
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:25 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Jason

Jason woke up at four that morning to ensure that everything would be perfect. The sky was still pink, but already it was hot and humid. He could still scarcely believe that he was here, in the Amazon. Ready to film this thing at long last. He could already envision the reviews, the box office returns. He still had it. Not only that, but he'd never lost it. And soon the rest of the world would know.

He sighed deeply, and made sure that everything was as it should be in the trailers. Later in day, he'd drive into town and visit the crew to make sure that were going to be ready to film, and bring the costumes and makeup over. And after visiting the crew, he had to stop at that weapons dealer that was going to give him what he needed since the scene with the anacondas was in a week already. He could already envision how exhilarating that scene was going to be.

But he couldn't get ahead of himself. The actors were going to be arriving in a few hours time and he had to make sure that they were going to be comfortable. He couldn't wait to see Alicia's sweet face again. It was then that he remembered hearing about an amazing breakfast place in a town about two hours away. While, in the future, he and the actors would have to eat ham sandwiches and oatmeal or starve, he figured treating them today would be alright.

He went back to his trailer, got his car keys, and then into his truck parked outside, and plugged the address of the restaurant in his GPS. By the time he got back, the van with all of the actors inside was just pulling in themselves.

He got out of the truck and grinned. Showtime.

-- Walt Disney

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:56 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Mason

"So..." The drive had left the whole van of actors silent for about five minutes. "Why don't we play kiss, marry, avoid?"

Continued silence. Alicia, sitting beside him, looked even more pointedly out the window.

"Right then." Mason slumped in his seat. "This is going to be a fun shoot, huh," he muttered.

"How about I Spy?" suggested Sienna. "I mean, we're in the middle of the rainforest."

She was right, Mason thought, looking out at the dense foliage, green, green, green everywhere, everything dripping with humidity. Outside the air was oppressive like New York in midsummer, but instead of the hum of traffic and people the air was filled with the cacophony of insects, birds, monkeys, flashes of colour revealed deadly and poisonous reptiles in the trees. Mason had been totally psyched about coming to the rainforest. His Instagram followers were going to love pictures of him in these surroundings just like they'd loved the picture of him and Alicia he posted two weeks ago on the first day of the shoot. 'Love ya Licia xXx' had been his caption. He had enjoyed scrolling through the comments his fans had left. "She's not even that pretty" "omg who is she I'm gonna kill her" "MASON LEAVE HER YOUR FUTURE WIFE IS RIGHT HERE".

They were such sweet girls. Unlike Alicia Caine, he thought, throwing her a sideways look. He pulled out his phone to see if there were any new notifications. But there were no bars. There'd been no bars for two hours now.

"Sure, I Spy," Valerie said. "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'T'."

"Tiger!" Delilah shouted from the back of the van. Everybody turned to look at her. "We're in the jungle," she said. "There are tigers in the jungle."

"Pretty sure that's a different jungle," Lawrence said quietly.

"Trees." It was the first word Alicia had uttered in about an hour. She glanced at her watch. "We should be arriving at base camp any minute."

Well that ended that game. Not that Mason minded. If it wasn't Kiss Marry Avoid or a drinking game, he wasn't interested.

But Alicia was right. The van slowed. They all peered out the left hand window. Sure enough there was the camp, each of their trailers, the central communal area and a truck parked nearby. The van slowed to a halt, and there was Jason Pollux, arms outstretched, welcoming them all to their new home.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:03 pm
Pretzelstick says...

Valerie Bridges

Valerie got out of the van , staying in the background, but still very excited to be here.Looking around at their surroundings, the thing that she noticed the most she saw was trees,trees, and trees everywhere. The leaves were gently rocking their heads in the breeze. Mingling with the group, Valerie, as well as everyone else was greeted by Jason Pollux, welcoming them into their new home for the next couple of weeks.Sienna got out and looked around at everyone.

"What are we doing standing around here and doing nothing?Let's get to work!"
Everyone separated from their little chit-chat groups and went to explore their trailers. There were decorative signs with their names painted on them and everyone had their own personal trailer.Valerie was delighted that Samantha's trailer was right next to hers.
Valerie's eyes were taking in her new home, there was two huge windows facing the east, pretty for watching the sunrise.By those windows there was a stuffy soft chair that would be great for relaxing after a long day of filming.Next to the chair was a wooden tall table for eating, and the kitchen was right across the wall from that. The kitchen had adequate space, cupboards, and shelves, and one of those cute mini fridges. At the west end of the trailer was a queen sized soft bed with drawers for keeping clothes in there .Overall, Valerie was quite please with her living arrangements.
After throwing her bag on the bed , she went over to Samantha and pulled her by the hand:
"Let's take a walk," she said.

Gracefully gliding, Samantha followed alongside her, each girl lost deep in thought in her own little world.

I can't wait to tell Mom about the views here,and about my adventures and experiences. I am homesick for some reason, although I am 20, I miss my Mom and her talks to me.But that's what is the phone is for anyways, My Mom, if she was here she would tell you keep my eyes wide open and enjoy the moments that I have right here and now. Also she would totally encourage me to talk with Samantha to build a relationship of sorts with here...

Valerie broke the silence, dictated by her mom's commands.

"So what do you think about the Amazon? I can imagine myself having perilous adventures and of course,climbing trees, but what are you looking forward to?" Valerie asked her hands were twirling locks of her wavy golden hair away from her face.

Samantha replied, looking thoughtful,"I really want to just see everything. All the plants and the flowers and stuff. It's all so beautiful. Plus, it's going to be great to get to spend time with each other."

They were nearing a gurgling creek now, and since it was extremely hot and stuffy ,Valerie motioned for Samantha to come on over and hop in. Laughing like little kids, they splashed each other until they were all wet and giggling. Holding hands, and linked together in spirit.They observed the fish of many different colors, mostly gray and brown, hiding behind and between the rocks, like a hide-and seek game, when in reality it was camouflage. The water was warm and the sunlight was shining down on their back as they squatted down. Valerie noticed a big fallen tree that could take them from one side of the creek to the other, and with all of an explorer's desire, she and Samantha ran toward it at the same time,with no communication. It was like their minds were linked together...or maybe they actually were.

Hoisting herself up first, Valerie went up and held out her hand to pull Samantha up.They were now above a deep pool in the creek, and the tree was on ground level. Absently looking the other way, thinking that Samantha didn't need her arm to get up, Valerie heard a big splash.
"Ahhhh!"
Valerie heard this and was alarmed; she whipped her face the other way).With horror she saw Samantha had fallen into the deep waters of the creek.That moment stood frozen and Valerie's legs felt like there were stuck,almost paralyzed.
"Help!Help!" screamed Samantha flaring her arms, and gasping for breath at the surface of the water.Her head bobbed up and down,struggling to stay afloat above the water.
Could Valerie save her...or not?
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:38 pm
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

Delilah

I curled up in the back of the van, still jet lagged from the time difference. My head on Valerie's lap as we bumped along the jungle road. The crew was making small attempts of being friendly and failing. Even I chimed in, and of course failed. I entertained myself by looking through pictures on my phone and playing with Valerie's perfect hair.

The van slowed and we all slowly piled out onto the dirt campground. The only other time I worked in conditions as rural as this is when I shot an oil spill awareness commercial, and that was onto just outside of Houston.

The trailers interiors were much better than I had expected. There was two huge windows facing the west, pretty for watching the sunset.By those windows there was a long, blue couch.Next to the couch was a wooden tall table for eating, and the kitchen was right across the wall from that. The kitchen was pretty big, cupboards, and shelves, and one of those cute mini fridges. And at the opposite end of the trailer was a wardrobe and a huge bed.

Everyone had kinda gone off to go do their own thing and I was stuck alone sitting under a huge tree. I connected to the internet Jason must had set up and started checking in on everything. Posted a few pics of me and the crew, tweeted about the location, and then went on to skype my boyfriend.

It rang a couple times before I was surprised to see his manager answering my call.

"Where's Jimmy?" I asked frantically.

"Delilah, Jimmy got hurt and he just woke up lets give him a second." The manager said obviously not caring what happened if I saw the love of my life or not.

"Is that Liah?" Jimmy croaked from the background. "Hand it over."

"Jimmy! Baby, Oh my god are you okay?" I asked frantically tears already reaching my eyes.

"I honestly don't know," He replied smiling weakly, "my shin is completely split, I won't be able to play in anything less that a year."

I instantly choked, "But the superbowl is next week. What will happen, oh my god... I'm coming home."

"No don't do that, I'll see you in a couple months." Jimmy managed through tears.

"Okay, but I love you okay?" I said trying to smile for him.

"I love yo-" It cut off.

I stared at my reflection in the now darkened screen. The internet was gone. I instantly started bawling, I needed to know he was going to be okay. I ran over to Jasons trailer, trying to conceal my tears, and knocked on his door trying to regain my confidence.

"What happened to the internet?" I asked trying to sound fine but failing.

"Must be the bad signal," He said shrugging between bites of his cereal.

I frowned and tears silently flowed down my cheeks as I ran back over to my tree and curled my legs towards my chest instantly regretting taking this role in the first place.
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:19 pm
Mea says...

Valerie stood in shock for a moment as Samantha disappeared beneath the water, suddenly remembering all the predators that lived in the Amazon. What if there were pirahnas in the water? However, she quickly realized that couldn't be so, or Samantha would already be dead.

She was a pretty good swimmer, but she had no idea if she was strong enough to actually help. She plunged in after Samantha regardless.

The murky water closed over her head, brackish and warm. She quickly surfaced and began stroking towards Samantha, who was now doubled over, coughing her lungs out and trying to stay afloat. Valerie reached her in a matter of seconds - they hadn't been that far apart to begin with - and tried to steady her, dragging her arm across Valerie's shoulder.

"I've got you," she said, spitting out the disgusting water.

It wasn't much help - the effort required to keep them both afloat was simply too much for her - but it was enough. With one last heave, Samantha was able to clear her lungs, and after a moment she could keep herself afloat. They swam back to shore in silence, absorbing what had just happened. At last, when they were safely on shore, Valerie spoke, still slightly out of breath.

"What on earth happened? Why couldn't you swim?"

"I just slipped and fell," said Samantha, looking slightly shamefaced. "Normally I can swim okay and it would've been fine, but since I wasn't expecting it I accidentally took a huge breath right when I went under and breathed in water instead. I was trying to cough and swim at the same time. It didn't work."

She took a deep, shuddering breath and went on. "Thank you. For saving me back there. That was really scary. I might've been able to stay afloat, but I just as easily might have gone under. So I guess you saved my life." She smiled softly.

"I didn't even think, really," said Valerie, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "It was just what anyone would do."

"Well, thanks anyway."

Valerie smiled and helped Samantha to her feet, only now noticing her sopping clothes"Ugh, now our clothes are all soaking wet," she said. "And they reek! Let's get back to the trailer and change."

"Yeah," Samantha agreed. "And perhaps we should stick to the trails this time. After all, the Amazon isn't exactly a picnic spot."

"I guess this wasn't such a good idea," Valerie laughed. "It was fun, though."

"Except for the almost drowning part."

They laughed and talked as they made their way back to camp relatively unharmed, except for a few scratches from thorny plants. They took their time, talking about anything and everything and sharing all their funny stories. As they neared the end of their walk, the conversation turned to the few memories they shared.

"Remember how we used to share a room and we had a bunk bed?" Valerie asked.

"Yeah," Samantha said. "It seems like such a long time ago now..."

"Well, you know how you always slept on the bottom bunk, and then one night we decided to switch beds?" Samantha nodded.

"And then during the night, you fell off the bed, and came down to my bed and tried to sleep with me! I didn't have enough space and then pushed you off the bed. Mom came the next morning and found both of us sleeping on the floor!"

"Yeah, that was great!" Samantha laughed, remembering. "The floor was so uncomfortable, but I really didn't want to get back up there! I still don't like the top bunk. Bottom bunks are better because you can hang a curtain from them and it's like your own private space."

The clearing was in sight now, the trees thining to reveal the trailers. Their clothes were still sopping wet despite the heat - it was impossible to dry anything in this kind of humidity.

Valerie sighed contentedly. "This has been great, Samantha."

Smiling, Samantha looked over at Valerie and said, "Call me Sam."
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Alicia

When we arrived in Brazil, I had to admit that there was some part of me that wanted to feel optimistic about this whole thing. It was beautiful, and I'd always enjoyed traveling, even if I never got to do a lot of it. The most I ever did was press for December Star, and that was eight years ago already. Still, I found myself missing LA. While it wasn't my favorite city in the world, I was looking forward to moving there full time. It would be a nice change of pace from New York, and I'd be with Jack.

I suppose this was a change of pace too. Even if I wasn't exactly jumping at the chance to work with Jason again, everyone else in the cast seemed like nice people. Our two weeks of shooting in LA, Jason had really been on his best behavior. And it bothered me, especially ever since I'd met that woman he went to high school with not too long ago. Gosh, I knew on December Star that Jason was a creep, but I didn't think he was actually capable of some of the stuff that he did to her.

I found myself wondering who they were going to cast as my replacement for Supergirl. These past few weeks I'd been trying and trying not to think about it, but it was next to impossible. I cringed just thinking about how excited I'd been, and how for weeks I don't think Jack heard me talk about anything else. I mean, The Lost Ones did have a good script but you know I had a great couple of years in college, away from the movie business, or at least from Jason. Then there was Mason. It found it kind of hysterical that basically every thirteen year old girl on the planet wanted my head, but I couldn't take how I was being used in whatever childish little war Mason had with Jack. It made me sick.

After an asinine breakfast in which Jason spoke to us all about his shooting plans for the next few weeks, I retreated to my trailer and skyped Jack. He picked up right away, and I realized that he was in his vampire makeup and probably in his dressing room.

"Hey," I said. "You about to shoot?"

"I have a little time," he replied. Boy, did I miss him. "How are you?"

"Good. We just got here," I responded.

"How's Jason?"

"He hasn't changed," I said. "I miss you."

"I miss you too," Jack said. "But hey, you're gonna have fun. But guess what?" His face tightened.

"Was Mason Montague bothering you? He tweeted me a picture of you two at the airport."

I rolled my eyes. As soon as we landed in Brazil, Mason had shoved his phone into Delilah's hands and made us take a picture together. I told him not to post it on any social media and he'd said he wouldn't, but I wasn't surprised that he did. I didn't think he'd actually tweet Jack, though. Ridiculous, childish and immature. "He's, um...kind of, yeah."

Jack sighed. "Do you want me to talk to him?"

"Uhm, what would you say?"

There was a twinkle in Jack's eye. He smiled, and I smiled back, laughing a little.

A voice came off of Jack's screen. He turned back to me. "Hey, I got to go. Love you. Skype soon, okay?"

"Yeah," I said. "Bye, Jack." I hung up Skype, and decided it might be a good idea to get some fresh air. I found Mason wandering around by the table.

"Hi," I said flatly.

"Hey," he responded. That flirty edge to his voice was still there. "Your boyfriend's getting a little jealous."

"Why?"

"See this he sent me?" He shoved his phone in my hands, and I was looking at his private messages on twitter. There was a cryptic note from Jack. 'Hey, Mason,' he said. 'I'll bet you think you're real clever. You're not. Leave.' I snorted, and handed Mason back his phone.

Mason leaned in close to me. "He's just in denial of our sizzling chemistry."

I felt like gagging. "You need to leave Jack alone," I said. "And please delete the picture, it makes me uncomfortable."

"Whatever you say..." Mason responded, the edge to his voice still there. He slid his phone into his pocket, and started to walk away.

"Now," I said firmly.

But before he could, I noticed Delilah walk toward us. "Hey," she said. "Is internet working for you two? It just cut out on me."

My phone was back in my trailer, and I didn't feel like going back to get it. But after several frustrated attempts, Mason couldn't get his internet to work either. Odd. It had been working just fine when I was talking to Jack. The signal was probably just dodgy. Jason had said he would be in his trailer, and I didn't really feel like going over to talk to him about it.

Thankfully Mason left towards his trailer-but not before remarking about how he wasn't going to be able to delete the photo. I shrugged it off, and then it was just Delilah and I.

-- Walt Disney

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:18 pm
View Likes
birk says...

L.E. Shepherd

That long travel time to their location shoot really did a number on him. For the entire duration of the long hours they spent on the road, he had hunkered down in the back of the large van. The majority of the time he’d spent trying to get some shut-eye, and try to get some reading done on this script he was considering. However, the constant jabber of the others constantly kept disturbing him. Especially Mason; he seemed to love the sound of his own voice. It all made the ride seem endless.

Finally, they had arrived. As Jason met them with open arms, he’d watched them all greet him as a group, before they all went to check out their trailers, to drop off their baggage. After a small chat with Jason, greeting him in this new, exotic location, he went to his own trailer. His trailer was the furthest one away from the campsite, overlooking a small hill, giving him a nice view of the sprawling jungle beneath.

He’d considered just dropping down on the bed, the urge to just lay down and sleep from the jet lag almost getting the better of him. But Jason was expecting them to return in a few moments, and gather around for a large breakfast. Breakfast, he thought to himself, thinking it more of a night snack rather than breakfast due to his jet lagged state.

After unloading his bags, he set up his laptop and plugged his phone into the charger. He looked checked out his new living arrangements, including his new bed and kitchen. The fridge had a good assortment of things he liked. A lot of fruit, like mangoes and bananas, which he loved. Despite how there would be several trailers dedicated to their make-up, he also had his own personal make-up mirror in his trailer. He sat down and stared at himself in the mirror. Alright, time to get out there and mingle with the others again.

Outside, a lot of the others had already assembled in the middle of the campground, caught up in small talk and idling around, waiting for everyone to get back for their breakfast. On his way towards them, he passed by Sienna who stood by her trailer, whom he stopped to talk to.

“Sienna. What’s going on? Heading back to the others?” He paused in front of her.

“I just came from talking with them. Apparently there’s something up with the internet? I came to check my phone. Have you noticed anything?” She replied, her voice very soothing and sweet. Like her.

To his surprise, he’d grown quite an affection for her during their LA shoot. She had a natural, down to earth beauty that he really liked. Before their shoot, he remembered her from an earlier shoot. She’d had a small part, and they only had one scene together, but he was excited to work with her again.

“I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.” He shrugged as he leaned up against the trailer beside her.

“I don’t like it. They said they would accommodate us for anything.” She sounded worried.

“I wouldn’t think too much into it. We’re in the middle of the Amazon rainforest for one. I’m sure the native tribes don’t get very good Wi-Fi.” He said, and she chuckled. “Or if they do, then they probably won’t mind sharing.”

Her face got serious again. “You don’t think we’ll run into any vicious tribes, do you?”

“Doubtful.” He snickered.

“You never know… better close your door tight at night, Lawrence.” She said as she entered her trailer, closing the door behind her.

Smiling to himself, he quickly glanced at his watch before turning around to head towards the others and breakfast. “You know, they’re probably waiting for us at breakfast!” He yelled after her as he walked away, smirking.

He felt pretty optimistic about this shoot. He’d gotten a pretty good impression of Jason so far.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:27 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Sienna Riley | Day One

The smile was still sitting on top of her lips as she closed the door to her trailer, Lawrence's voice yelling after her. They met on the set of his television show a year or two ago, where she'd had a minor role -- about five episodes. Not too much on-screen time with his character, but off-screen, they'd chatted quite a bit. Then her contract ended and she moved on to other pastures, promising to keep in touch but never did.

Right then and there, she realized how much she regretted that. Her initial fear had been his status versus hers; he was quickly becoming a big star. Why would he waste his time with her? In fact, when she'd seen his name on the casting list that had came with the script, she'd panicked. He'd either forgotten her or was angry with her, or just didn't care. Turns out it wasn't any of the things she'd feared; he'd given her a warm smile earlier today.

He was comforting, she thought. A familiarity, however small, in this jungle. In this place she'd never been to, with people she'd never met. And no Wi-Fi. No service. Was she freaking herself out? Probably. But she'd always been a secure person. If she goes off to an unknown place, she wanted reassurance that she'd be safe.

Right now, she felt uneasy. She didn't have the best first-impression of Jason. He'd provided little to know information about their location. Not to mention the whispers of the guy's temper. She was afraid to see what would happen if something ticked him off.

Sienna spotted her luggage resting beside her bed and picked a bag up, unzipping it so she could pull out her hair brush. She ran it through her long blonde hair, throwing it up into a messy ponytail. Then she tried her laptop again. A router was popping up, but the connection was extremely weak. With a groan, she made a note to talk to Jason about that.

Throwing the door to her trailer open, Sienna quickly made her way down the stairs and started passing by the other trailers, the dim murmur of voices and noise of the crew members becoming louder as she got closer. Jason, upon welcoming them, had promised them a breakfast feast and she intended to take advantage of that. Her rumbling stomach voiced its agreement.

But now, to sit. A big table, but only enough seats for the actors and Jason himself. On one side, Alicia; on the other, who? Not her, she decided. Even though she needed to talk to him about the Wi-Fi. He gave off a sort of aura that she wanted to avoid as best as she could. Instead, she sat by Lawrence, who gave her a comforting smile.

Sienna wiped her palms on her jeans and tried to calm her nerves. "Everyone else needs to hurry," she said with a glance at Lawrence. "I'm starving."
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:44 pm
View Likes
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

Delilah

I sat with Alicia quietly on the table, still trying to calm myself down. She, obviously, looked defeated as well, why not trying to make her feel better.

"Hey," I said my voice cracking slightly.

"Hey," She replied taking a double glance at me,"you alright?"

"Jimmy is hurt, and I can't get in touch with him to make sure his surgery goes well." I choked out holding back tears, "I just wanna go home to help him through this."

Alicia scooted closer to me and slowly encased me in a light hug. I smiled through my tear caked cheeks and hugged her back, much more tightly then she was to me.

"I'm sorry," I said pulling away, "you don't have to deal with me..."

"Dude no it's okay, I miss Jack too, I know what you're going through." Alicia replied with a small smile.

I nodded and wiped my eyes glad I had someone who understood.

All the other actors had now gathered around the table we were sitting at waiting for Jason. Sienna and Lawernce were chatting on the other side while Sam, Valerie and Mason slowly filled in the other seats. Jason FINALLY decided to join us and started his speech.

Spoiler! :
Sorry it's a little short (Didn't wanna steal Elinor's thunder for Jason)
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 am
Elinor says...

Jason

As Jason began to unload the food from his truck, he found himself smiling. He could still scarcely believe that they were there, and it was finally happening. In two days they would begin to shoot, and a few months from now, Jason was going to have a masterpiece on his hands that the audiences and the critics were going to love, one that would sweep the Oscars and make more money that Jason had ever dreamed off. Even though the public didn't understand the genius behind his last few films, they'd still made a ton of money (proving, by the way that he was still relevant). But imagine what another great Jason Pollux film would do. He wasn't just going to prove that he could make good movies again, but he was going to make something even better than December Star. And he was finally here, in Brazil, about to take the first step towards making it happen.

No one looked particularly happy to be there, though. Jason felt a surge of frustration. It had been in the same in LA. The takes of the beginning and the end that they'd shot in LA had been fantastic. But off the set, the mood was universally dry and cold. Did they not understand what they were about to be a part of?

Sienna and Lawrence were off in their own little world. He'd noticed the two of them -- it was cute how they seemed to think he was oblivious to these sorts of little romantic things. Ever since they'd gotten on set, the two had been nonstop chatterboxes, and their acting was so far the poorest of the seven. Besides Mason. Jason hated the fact that he decided to cast him, but if by doing so he was going to expose thirteen year old girls to great art, than so be it.

Mason was whispering something in Alicia's ear, and she just rolled her eyes. Oh, Alicia. As beautiful and as talented as she was ever was, but college changed something in her. So cold, and bitter. She never wanted to talk the way she used to. He told himself that before the day was up he'd go to her trailer and invite her for dinner, just to see how she was doing.

Delilah looked miserable. She tapped her fingers against the table and seemed to stare off into space. Jason frowned.

"What's wrong, dear?" He asked as he served the food.

"My boyfriend isn't going to be able to play in the Super Bowl," she said.

Jason rolled his eyes. He continued to serve the food, noticing that Alicia had shot him a mean look--see, that was exactly the type of thing she never did before.

"Eat up," he said, "There's plenty for everyone."

Right then, the twins had staggered in looking like they'd been through hell. Jason raised his eyebrows, but decided it would be better not to ask.

Once everyone had gotten their food, Jason cleared his throat and began to speak. "After we finish eating I have to go into town to pick up the props and costumes. When I get back we'll make sure everyone's fitted with everything, and we'll run lines, but I thought you kids could take these next few days to enjoy yourselves. I'm going to very busy getting ready for Sunday."

"You don't want to take us out for rehearsals?" Alicia asked. She rolled her eyes when she noticed Mason winking at her. "I mean, we're in an entirely different country, in the middle of the jungle, don't we want everything to run smoothly?"

Jason smiled. "It'll be more raw if you are surprised." That shut Alicia up; after all, he'd kept adherence to the script lose with December Star; many of the scenes between her and Jack had been improvised.

"Jason, the internet's down," Delilah finally said.

"Is it?" Jason managed to conceal his smile. After all, he couldn't let anyone know that he'd intentionally cut the internet, that these kids were his now. "The signal must be down. Give it some time."

The twins started whispering to themselves again. Jason sighed deeply. It's not that bad, he told himself. It's all going to be worth it soon.

-- Walt Disney

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 pm
StellaThomas says...

Mason Montague

"What do you think you're doing?"

Mason stared at Valerie (or Val, as he liked to call her), stunned. "I assumed you were getting signal out here." He waved his phone in his hand in a 'duh' motion.

"I wasn't here to get signal I just saw a capybara - a real live one in the wild - and you absolutely ruined the picture for me you -you - you numbskull."

Before Mason had a chance to react Valerie had picked a fallen branch up off the ground and was approaching him with it.

"Whoa, whoa, whooooooa." Mason held his hands up defensively but it didn't deter her. She took a good swing at him - and Mason caught it in his left hand, stowing his phone back in the pocket of his shorts. "Slow down. Sorry, I didn't see your cupabara-"

"Capybara."

"Whatever - it was an honest mistake and this physique is way too expensive to maintain to let you hit me with a stick."

"I'll punch you if you'd prefer." The words were sickly sweet but Valerie had narrowed her eyes.

Every. Single. Girl. On this cast was crazy, Mason had decided. "I'm sorry," he said. "Maybe I can help you find it again." He shrugged and pursed his lips in a very charming way to sell the offer.

"It's fine." She dropped the stick. "I'll do it myself, thanks. Keep out of my way."

She turned around to go. Mason briefly checked his phone. Still no bars. Ugh. He couldn't believe that he wasn't going to get the chance to reply to Jack. He couldn't deal with Jack's smug face thinking he'd won the war. And what about his fans? He'd promised the Juliets (the Capulets to his Montague, the collective name for his fans), that he'd update them at least daily from the set. They'd be so upset- they might even go over to the Jack Keates fandom. Which he would have put money on didn't have nearly as good a name.

What Alicia saw in the guy, Mason had no idea.

He sighed, shoving the phone away. "Hey!" he shouted to Valerie. "I don't think you should go into the woods alone!"

She whorled around again and involuntarily, Mason's hands came up to guard his face.

"What, you think that because I'm a girl I can't take care of myself?"

"I just think that this is a big jungle, and you're kind of little and vulnerable and also I don't think it makes sense for any of us to go out alone."

Valerie bit her lip, clearly she knew he was right but didn't want to admit it. But in the end, her pride took precedence.

"I don't need your help, I suggest you leave now before I get my stick again!"

"Okay, fine, clearly you don't want to spend time with me," Mason grumbled. "I'll get someone else from the camp, okay? I just don't think you should wander off alone."

He put his hands in his pocket and turned, whistling to himself as he walked back to the camp.

"I'll get you back for this, don't worry!"

Mason suddenly had the feeling he was going to wake up the following morning to find out Valerie had shaved off his eyebrows or something.

He got back to the camp. Most of the others were still at the breakfast table. Mason had eaten about two portions of breakfast, but he snagged another pastry at this point anyway. Well, if no one else was going to eat it. "Sam," he said - she scowled at the nickname - "first of all, your sister is crazy. Second of all, she's wandering into the woods alone."

Sienna looked at him with wild eyes. "You would just let her wander into the woods alone?"

"She didn't want my help, don't look at me like that," but of course everybody was looking at him like that. He sighed. "I'm going to go fix myself a protein shake," he said, scuffing the ground in his new red-laced boots as he walked, but as he left he could hear Lawrence whisper, 'Who the hell brings protein shakes to the Amazon?'

Mason mixed his shake up in his flask and drank it lying on the bed in his trailer. Then he went into the bathroom and started doing pull-ups on the shower rail, working out the frustration of everything that had just happened.

How long was this shoot again?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:33 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Sienna Riley | Day One

"Looks like they're showing up now," Lawrence said, nodding towards the door.

Sienna followed his gaze to the doors as they opened and in trickled their fellow cast mates. The twins were, as usual, huddled together, whispering and giggling, not-so-subtle glances aimed at Mason, who was looking as pretentious as ever. Last but not least was Delilah, who seemed a bit upset. They all settled down at the table, with Delilah taking the empty seat beside Sienna and Mason taking the one beside Lawrence, who didn't look happy with the seating outcome.

Sienna giggled at him and turned to Delilah, who gave her a small smile. "Nice to meet you," Sienna whispered just as Jason stood up and spread his hands. He greeted them warmly, then turned to the cart beside him and personally started to serve everyone breakfast, which surprised Sienna. She figured he'd hire people to do that for them.

The whole entire thing didn't seem very professional, but then again, it's not like Jason Pollux was a professional. Sienna had seen December Star a few weeks before auditioning for The Lost Ones, just to get a feel of how Jason's one-hit-wonder went. And went it did. It was amazing, she had to admit. Very good.

Her eyes followed the man as he walked towards him, a slight smile plastered on his face. She felt her stomach twist as he said, "Sienna Riley. What will you have?"

"Those pancakes look good," she responded, nodding towards a stack.

He placed them in front of her. "Eggs, bacon, sausage?"

"Eggs would be lovely, thank you."

Jason set down the plate and a container of syrup, then turned to Lawrence. After Law was served, he turned towards Delilah.

The cold rolling of his eyes, subtle yet not enough, made Sienna frown. She turned her back to him, feeling the way his eyes glazed over her, then the rest of the group. She grew more and more off-put by the second.

Once everyone had food in front of them and was eating, Jason returned to the head of the table and began to speak.

"After we finish eating I have to go into town to pick up the props and costumes. When I get back we'll make sure everyone's fitted with everything, and we'll run lines, but I thought you kids could take these next few days to enjoy yourselves. I'm going to very busy getting ready for Sunday."

"It's gonna take him a few days to get things ready?" Sienna muttered to Law, who snorted around a mouthful of hashbrowns.

"Not the most professional director, it seems," he replied after swallowing.

Delilah brought up concern over the internet issue and Sienna jerked her attention back to Jason, eager to hear what he had to say. His reply had her eyes widening slightly as another twinge of panic fluttered in her stomach.

Cut off from outside contact. Stuck in the middle of a rain forest in goddamn Brazil.

"I don't have a good feeling about this," Sienna muttered, mostly to herself.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:18 pm
View Likes
birk says...

L.E. Shepherd

Lawrence awoke the next morning in his trailer. His stomach was grumbling, and definitely for something other than hash browns. After a quick shower, he found himself a couple of sandwiches from his minifridge. After he finished eating them, he pulled on his running outfit and went outside, where most of the others were already gathering.

In the middle of their campground, within the circle of trailers, they all stood. Mingling with each other, talking. All of them wearing suitable clothes for a long hike through the rough terrain. As Lawrence joined their crowd, he greeted both of the twins, as well as Mason, who was wearing what must be quite expensive workout clothes.

He joined Alicia and Sienna, who very talking to each other a little further away from the others. “Hello, ladies. How are you both?” he greeted them.

“I’m sure we’re both good, aren’t we Sienna?” Alicia motioned towards Sienna. “Yeah, we’re good. How are you, Lawrence? Slept well?” she asked, leaning up against Delilah’s trailer. Lawrence looked around at all the others who were gathered about, “Yeah, I’m alright. I’m used to sleeping in these trailers by now. Not so much this heat though. It’s killing me.” He casually checked his wristwatch.

“Oh god, the heat, yes.” Sienna replied, wiping beads of sweat from her forehead. “And now we’re going for this long hike? I don’t know, today is going to be rough for sure.” She sighed. Alicia agreed beside her; “It’s going to be a tough one, that’s for sure.”

As they were talking, Jason appeared in the middle of the group. His actors immediately silenced and they watched him eagerly. Beside him was another man, well-built and muscular. “Good morning everyone, I trust you had a good night’s sleep,” he opened. He proceeded to inform them of how their props were now on location, and motioned to a small group of workers who were unloading a whole bunch of equipment in the other, slightly smaller encampment not far away from them, just within earshot.

Costumes for each individual actor was in the process of getting ready, and they location shoot would begin within the following days. For now, he announced, as he had done before; the hike. “This is Luiz. I have made sure to get you all the best, most well-traversed guide as I could find. Luiz has been through the amazon countless times, and I’m sure our little excursion is going to be a walk in the park for him. Ain’t that right, Luiz?” He motioned to the short, muscular man beside him.

“Sim!” The man replied. A sly look washed over Jason’s face; “Oh right, before I forget. Luiz speaks little to no English. But I’m sure that won’t be a problem. Just get your eyes glued to his ass, and follow it! Easy as that.” He made gestures with his hand. The group chuckled a bit at that, but was otherwise quiet.

“I’ll expect you all back here before dinner. Get in touch with this place, fight the heat, and be wary of the environment. Most of all; learn to trust each other. Don’t forget the water bottles, they’re on the table.” He instructed them, and pointed towards the table beside his trailer. And at that, he left. The group watched him walk down towards the other encampment, now throwing commands at his workers, who seemed to be locals as well.

They all then returned their attention to Luiz. Lawrence walked towards the table and picked up two water bottles; stashing them in his fanny pack. “Alright, off we go?” He asked the others.

Mason then picked up a couple water bottles of his own, “Yeah sure, let's go,” he said.

“Let go, yes. Let go.” Luiz exclaimed. Everyone else had to hurry and get their water bottles quickly, because he was already jogging towards the trail.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:40 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Alicia

Alicia vaguely remembered a dream where she flew in the sky. The details were lost in the rays of harsh, early morning sun, but she remembered feeling like she could do anything, like she lived in a world where she'd had the courage to stand up to Jason. A glance at the clock told her it was five in the morning. She wondered if anyone else was up yet. Well, probably Jason, since he somehow could run on two to three hours of sleep a night and be okay. She remembered back when they'd filmed December Star, and she and Jack had come up with a theory that Jason was secretly a vampire. Jack had made a casual remark about his sleeping habits the next day, and Jason had merely remarked that "sleep is for the weak".

Alicia had barely slept herself and she felt absolutely. It took all of her strength to sit up in the bed and stagger over to the mini fridge, where she found an unappetizing ham sandwich waiting for her. She took it out and hesitantly picked at the sandwich. She found her script and made a brief attempt to scan her lines before collapsing back onto the table. How was she going to have the energy for a twelve hour shoot?

Jason had visited her trailer late last night and while he insisted that he'd come in peace, his visit had managed to remind Alicia of why she didn't want to be here in the first place. Which was a shame, especially considering she was beginning to like some of her cast mates.

"Alicia," he'd said. "Aren't you happy to be here, again with me?"

"You know you forced me to give up Supergirl," she'd replied.

Then he'd smiled wryly. "Alicia, you would still be nothing if weren't for me. Just remember that." And then he'd left.

Alicia changed into the costume that had been set aside for her last night, and wandered outside, trying not to let on that anything was wrong.

She saw that Sienna was already up, and they began to make conversation, even if it was a touch awkward. Alicia still wasn't sure what Sienna thought about her.

"Morning," Alicia said.

"Hey," Sienna replied.

"Ready to shoot?"

Sienna nodded. Then she giggled. "Sorry, it's still early."

"Yep," Alicia responded.

They chatted idly for a bit until everyone else started to stagger out. Then Jason had given his spiel and returned in the direction of his trailer.

"Doesn't the director have to be there when we shoot?" One of the twins asked.

They all turned towards Alicia. Right. Like just because they'd worked on one film together meant that she knew the inner workings of his brain. "I'm sure he'll be on his way soon."

And before they knew it, they were off, following some local that was going to take them to the filming site. And yet, Alicia couldn't shake the feeling that something was off.

-- Walt Disney

I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec