z

Young Writers Society

Summer Lovin' 2.0

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:41 pm
NicoleBri says...

Katrina

After I put Alexis in Verine's arms I quickly ran up to the house. I needed to get in the shower and clean off. I didn't take long because I didn't want Verine to be stuck tending to my baby girl, if she wanted to mingle with our friends she shouldn't have to baby sit.

I smiled at myself in the mirror as I started to dry my hair off. Since last summer things have definitely changed, especially the fact that I am now on full time mother duty.

I put my shorts on and my tank top and grabbed my phone from Alexis' baby bag. I had a text from the baby daddy. "When can I see my baby?" the text had said. I laughed at that, since when has he ever wanted to see her. I didn't want to deal with this but it needed to be done before I got back outside. So I called him.

"You never wanted to see her before! I don't know who the hell you think you are just texting my phone for the first time since you ever found out I was pregnant."

"That wasn't my fault Katrina, I told you I broke my phone."

"So that's your excuse for not seeing your baby? She is 9 months old and you never came to see her, you didn't even bother showing up at the fricking hospital. I know your mom told you. You know what, screw you. You're lucky I don't file for child's support on your ass!" I yelled and hung up,

without thinking I threw my phone against the wall and threw myself on my bed. I couldn't handle this.

Right then Verine and Christian came in with Alexis. "I'm sorry you guys, I was about to come get her." I said in between sobs. They both sat beside me and I held Alexis in my hands. My precious baby. I knew something was going to happen and I just couldn't handle all this at once.

"Y'all can go and hang out with them, I'll just stay here for awhile with her." I told them. Christian took Alexis from my hands and placed her in her swing. I wrapped my arms around both of them. I just needed people right now.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

Reviews: 1
Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:33 pm
TaylorLove says...

Liz

I swear, I hated her. Why would he bring her here? Does he really hate me that much? Was having cancer that big of a turn off? Ira looked at me, concerned and walked over to me. He was about to say something, but I did not let him finish. "No, there is nothing you can say that will make me feel any better. She is still here and he still hates me." I said in a hushed voice.

Everyone was whispering to each other, so I went and sat next to Opal. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked.

At first, she was a little surprised that I came over to her. I guess we just don't know how to talk to each other any more. Then she sighed and finally talked to me. "I don't like her." She said.

"I don't either." I said honestly. It took everything inside me to say something kind about the girl. "Opal, I am sorry she said that to you. She was just wondering how someone so beautiful could be related to Lakeland." I said playfully.

She smiled and sighed again. "I just like being here, were everyone knows. I don't have to talk about it and no one makes me feel weird about it."

"Some people just don't get it and it sucks. Just know that everyone here loves you." I said, smiling. "Come on, lets go her something to eat." We got up to go get some food. The girl was getting some water. I tried to squeeze past her, but she turned around, spilling her cup of water all over me.

"Oops." She said, trying to contain a little bit of laughter.

I looked at her confused. "Excuse me. Um, most people learn to apologize at a very young age. Did you not learn that step?" I asked.

"Liz, don't be rude." Lakeland said.

"I love how those are the first words you have said to me and you are defending who ever the heck this is." I said pointing to her. He did not say anything. I just walked past him and into the house. I went into the kitchen and sat on a bar stool.

After a minute or two, I heard footsteps behind me. I assumed it was Ira, so I did not turn around. "Ira, I don't want to talk to you right now." I said.

"Good thing it is not him them." Lakelands voice said. I turned around in the bar stool.

"Oh." I said. "What are you doing in here?" I asked.

He sighed, not looking at me. "I think we should talk."

I nod gesturing to him. "Please, go ahead."

He took a moment, then he began to talk. "I don't understand why you got so irritated out there with her. I mean you stopped talking to me, I should be able to..."

I cut him off quickly. "Excuse me? Um, you are the one who stopped talking to me, now you are waving this chick in my face and I am not suppose to care? Do you know how much it hurt me when you stopped talking to me. At a point in my life where I needed you most. I thought you were so wonderful and then you stopped talking to me right when I got leukemia. I thought you loved me." I said. I don't know when I started crying, but I did.

"You have leukemia?" He asked, in pure shock.

I nodded. "Had." I say. "There is a good chance it could come back."

I could not tell what he was feeling. "I did not know." He said. "Why didn't you tell me?"

''I was in the hospital for so long, my mom said she told you. I asked her to tell you." I said, confused.

"Well, she did not." He said, I could not tell if he was angry, or upset.

I did not know what to do. I ran outside to my mom. She looked worried. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"Why didn't you tell him?" I asked. Everyone was quiet.

"Honey, maybe we should step inside." She said.

"No!" I said, pushing her off of me. "I don't care if people know. Apparently you are. Are you ashamed that I had cancer?" I asked, looking at her disgusted.

"No, honey of course not..." She said. I could tell she wanted to say more, but I cut her off.

"You did not tell one of the people I needed most. Lakeland thought I stopped talking to him. You told me he did not send me any messages back. Now I know why." I said. I walked away, back into the house. Ira followed me in. I walk going to push him away, but he just pulled me into his chest and let me sob.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:55 pm
Ciblio says...

Christian

Spoiler! :
HERE'S ANOTHER POST OKAY ALRIGHT
@thelostone, sorry. Didn't know what else to do. XD

Christian stared wide-eyed at the door. He'd only overheard Liz and Lakeland. He wasn't eavesdropping on purpose, but what he did hear, he wish he didn't. Liz had cancer? Leukemia? How could that be? Why didn't they know before?

He'd left Verine, Alexis, and Katrina upstairs to..do whatever, and was actually only coming back downstairs to get something to drink. And probably try and find Casey. Oh, right, Casey. Christian shook his head, still shocked at the new information, and walked outside, immediately scanning the area again.

Just as he was about to pull back in, a car pulled back up, and he recognized it. Though, he couldn't see inside. Once the driver turned off the car and hopped it, his eyes caught the short haircut his sister had gotten unexpectedly. Casey. Where'd she go? On the passenger side, the door- surprisingly- opened, and an unfamiliar guy stepped out. He was around their age, but that's all Christian could tell.

He was out of walking over to the two before he could even think of what he was going to do, or what he was just going to say. He was mad. Who did she think she was? She couldn't just go running of with random guys she didn't know- which, he knew for sure she didn't know him.

Casey was grinning at the guy as they began to walk over to everyone that was crowded by the fire, which wasn't as much as earlier. Though, Casey stopped walking when she locked eyes with her brother, who was clearly angered, but then again, he also had a look of shock on his face. Perhaps sorrow? He was sad because of Liv, but right now he was just trying to avoid that for right now and focus on what his sister had been doing.

"Casey," He grumbled, eying the guy next to her. He remembered sitting with the bonfire earlier, and wondering why Pj left. Said he couldn't do it right now, for some reason. Maybe he saw Casey with this guy? "Who the hell is this?"

Casey's eyebrows raise up as she looks up at the guy, "Not that it's any of your business, but Atticus."

'Not that it's any of your business.'

It was his business. If his sister is going off with some strange guy that neither of them had ever even seen before, it was his business. If she was doing something that was obviously upsetting one of his best friends, Pj, then it was his business. Or, well, it was something he wanted to fix, so something he'd make his business.

He's been quiet too long. His eyes narrowed at 'Atticus' and he let out the breath he'd been holding, "What are you doing here?"

Atticus' face remained impassive as he lifted one of his shoulders, "I'm Ira's friend, he brought me."

And he couldn't contain it. Christian stiffened as he tried to stay quiet, and before he could say a word, Casey took his arm in her small, cold hand, and began to drag him back to the house, stopping once to wave at Atticus, who looked slightly confused from a distance.

It was weird how easily Christian had started to lose his temper. He's always been able to control his anger, but right now, he only glared at the floor, huffing and puffing as they got inside and went into the living room, which was empty, for now.

"What is your problem?" Casey snapped snidely as she released his arm.

He didn't want this. He didn't want to talk to her anymore. He thought he did, but now that they were right in front of each other, he just wanted to get away. He didn't want to be around this stranger with the smaller body and pale face. What did they do to her in Rehab? Where was Casey? He needed Casey, not...not this person.

"Christian?" Casey's frown deepened, and a crease appeared between her eyebrows. "Christian, what the hell is wrong with you? Why aren't you talking to me?"

"I don't know you," Christian spat, not exactly even trying to be as bitter as he had been. "This person that you're being right now, I don't know who you are anymore."

"What?" She looked confused now, "I'm Casey, idiot. Now-"

"No, you're not!" Christian interrupted, taking a step away from her. "The Casey I know wouldn't purposely run off with some guy that she doesn't even know. I- where were you?"

Did he just switch his motive? He, at first, wanted to prove to her that she wasn't the Casey he knew, or course. But now he just felt...concerned? Curious?

"Why are you acting so weird?!" His sister frowned again. "Are you...are you on drugs, Christian?"

He stared at her in disbelief for a few seconds before glaring at her, "No, I'm not on drugs, and I'm offended that you would even think that I would do something like that."

"It's just- you're acting weird. All I did was go show him 'The Drop Off', it's not a big deal. Nothing happened. I'm fine, see? God, Christian." Casey sighed, slumping her thin shoulders a bit.

"I'm acting weird? Look at you!" Christian hissed back as he crossed his arms. "New hair, paler skin, different personality. New Casey."

"How would you've liked me to come back?" Casey snarled, her shoulders tensing back up. "Like I was before? Did you want me to get better? Because I am."

"I don't think you are," Christian mumbled after a second, already tired of arguing with her. "I wanted you to get better, Casey. I did. But I didn't think we'd lose the old Casey in order for them to do what they did to you."

"They didn't do anything to me, I did this myself," Casey shook her head as she leaned against the back of the couch. "If you don't like the way I am now, I'm sorry, Chris, but I can't do anything about it. You're going to have to get used to it."

"And I will, but-" He tried his hardest to avoid eye contact, but after a few seconds he ended up looking up at her, "I just missed you."

"Yeah, I missed you, too."

And they hugged. It was a warm, comforting hug, and Christian wanted to cry just because he was tired of everything. Everything- Liv having cancer, his friends drifting apart, his sister, himself. It was too much.Too much for him, that is.

He wanted to tell her everything, all that he'd heard, what was going on at home, what was happening to him, but for now he only sighed and mumbled into her hair, "You should probably talk to Peej."

"Why?" He could feel her frown against his chest. He thought she'd know how Pj felt about her by now.

"Because you kind of temporarily ran away with a stranger and Pj is a jealous person," He almost laughed. "Duh."

"You say that as if it was obvious." Casey scoffed, though she was staring at the stairs across from them.

"It was," Christian chuckled softly as he pulled away from her and touched a finger to her hair.

She shrugged, "I'm gonna go talk to him, I guess."

"I guess." Christian grinned.

"I guess."

I guess? After another quick hug, Casey disappeared up the stairs, leaving Christian alone again.

At least they made up, I guess.
Last edited by Ciblio on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:53 pm
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

PJ

Numb. I was numb. Casey had moved on and I couldn't do anything about it. I wanted to strangle and congratulate the mystery boy at the same time. I lay on my bed starring up at the ceiling with my notebook and pencils resting on my chest. I could hear Christian and Casey arguing from downstairs then the sound of footsteps pounding up the stairs.

"PJ..." It was Casey.

"Why don't you go back down to your boyfriend." I replied sitting up.

I could almost see the burn running through her face. But I didn't care, I was pissed.

"We're just friends okay," She said in a quiet voice her shoulders sagging.

"Oh sure, next thing you know y'all are making out in the back of his truck." I replied shoving my notebook and pencils into my dresser.

"Hey no, shut up." She started standing up now. "Nothing is happening okay, why do you even care?"

"I don't know, maybe because I'm in love with you!" I screamed back at her standing up so I'm now towering over her. "You know, I'm not doing this shit I'm going downstairs."

"Wait," She started grabbing hold of my arm.

Now this is when I went a little nuts. I grabbed her by her shoulders and whispered. "Either you love me or him you choose."

She looked up at me and sighed, "I don't know yet."

"Then leave," I screamed grabbing her sides and leading her to the door.

That's when I noticed something different. Casey had weights in her pockets. I took a deep breath in the pain flooding my system. I couldn't tell her and loose the fight, this will be brought up another day, if I'm not too late again.
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

Reviews: 4
Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:21 pm
View Likes
thelostone says...

Casey Whells

Everything was spiraling out of control. Since when does P.J. get this jealous over nothing? Am I not allowed to have friends that happen to be of the opposite sex? I could feel the toxic thoughts resurfacing, both the fridge and the toilet were calling my name. I let out an exasperated cry and dug my fingernails into my palms, trying to distract myself from the urge.

Before I could process what was happening, I found myself on the floor of my bedroom unwrapping the various snack cakes and granola bars I had hidden in my suitcase. Tears slid down my cheeks as I shoved the food in my mouth. Adrenaline pulsed through me with each bite and I didn't stop eating until I was sitting in a pile of wrappers and felt worse than I did before.

You know what will make you feel better..
As soon as all of that junk is out of you, you'll feel free
How many calories was all of that?
If you don't throw it up, all of those carbs and sugars will turn straight into fat
Everything will be better if you go throw up

I ran into the bathroom and fell to my knees over the toilet. I could see my paled reflection in the small pool of water. I instinctively gagged and everything came back up. I sobbed silently in between heaves. I'm stronger than this, I'm stronger than this, why can't I fucking stop? Sweat plastered my hair to my face but I was too weak to push it back. I flushed the toilet then leaned back against the cool wall. I'm disgusting. Why am I so goddamn weak?

The door creaked open and I lunged forward, slamming it shut on whoever tried to open it. "Hello?" A voice I didn't recognized called from the other side.

"Who is it?" I croaked.

"Mi-cha. I'm the new addition to the Anderson's."

I quickly racked my brain for a memory of P.J. or Hayden or any of the Anderson's informing me they got a new family member. I didn't find one. Why didn't someone tell me? Did they forget? Or maybe they just didn't want the new girl to meet me. Peej's words swirled around inside me. Maybe I should leave. Everyone here would be better without me anyway.

I quickly stood up and wiped my face with the bottom of my shirt. When I opened the door I was face to face with the bright eyed Korean girl. "I'm Casey." I said, offering a weak smile. "Bathroom is all yours." I could feel Mi-cha's eyes studying me but I rushed out of the room before she could come to any conclusions.

The sun was setting and from my window, I could see the beginnings of a bonfire being set up by the beach. The wrappers crunched under my feet as I gathered everything I had unpacked and shoved it back into the suitcase. My hands trembled and tears rimmed my eyes causing them to burn slightly.

"God, keep it together." I hissed, closing my eyes for a brief moment.

"Hey, I was looking for you!" Atticus appeared at the doorway with a drink in his hand and a wide smile. "We're having a bon-" his smile faltered when he saw me desperately trying to zip up my luggage. "Are you going somewhere?"

"I can't-I can't do this." I stammered, growing frustrated at the stuck zipper. Atticus set his drink down on the wooden dresser and carefully walked over to me. He gently took the zipper from my hands and zipped my suitcase up the rest of the way.

"There." He said softly. "Now why are you packing back up? We just got here." His deep green eyes were full of concern as he searched my bloodshot ones.

"I was just cleaning up." I was surprised at how easily the lie rolled off my tongue. "I like to keep all of my clothes in my suitcase. If I put them in the drawer, Liz might mistake them for hers and I want to make sure our clothes don't get mixed up." I could tell he didn't fully believe the lie but he didn't know me well enough to call my bluff.

The wrappers rustled as he nudged them with his foot, looking for an explanation. "Chris and I have a snack bag we keep in the car with us," I lied again. "I cleaned that out too. He likes to eat on the road then shove the wrappers back in the bag. Some of them must've fallen out of the trash can." I quickly picked them up and crumpled them in my fist. "You said something about a bonfire?"

Atticus slowly nodded. "Ira and I are starting one. Everyone's down there. You should come join."

"Yeah," I said breathlessly. "I'm just going to throw these away and go to the bathroom real quick. I'll be down in a few."

He nodded again and I gave him a weird smile. I watched as he walked back downstairs then unzipped my suitcase again. I tossed the crumpled wrappers back on the floor and swept them under my bed with my foot. I pulled out the small drawstring bag I had packed in case we were going to go hiking and filled it with a change of clothes, twenty three dollars I had brought, a few pictures of everyone that I had taken out of the scrapbooks no one looks at in the den, and the little ratty blue beanie baby bear Chris had given me years ago. I drew the strings tight and slung the bag over my shoulders.

I grabbed random clothes from my suitcase and shoved them into random dresser drawers in an attempt to make it look as if I hadn't left. I grabbed the extra pillows stored under Liz's bed and arranged them under my blankets so if someone came looking for me they'd think I had fallen asleep. That should buy me a few hours. I looked at my phone which was plugged into it's charger on the nightstand. I made sure it was off then tucked it into my back pocket.

It wasn't hard to sneak out of the front door when everyone, including the parents, were down at the beach. I began walking down the road toward the horizon. The sky was painted with streaks of deep reds and oranges. I turned my back to it and held out my thumb, watching the house I had spent so many summers in shrink with every step I took.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:40 am
View Likes
Ciblio says...

Christian

Spoiler! :
HEY GUYS LOOK WHO'S ACTUALLY POSTING
Sorry, this is short, but I couldn't think of anything else to do. NOW LET'S GET THIS THING RUNNING AGAIN.

Christian pulled Verine closer to him and grinned- damn, he missed this. The touch of her, the sight of her, just her- he'd missed it all, and now that he had her for the summer, he couldn't get enough time with her.

"I think they said they wanted to watch some movies," He grumbles- not that he wants to watch any movies. He'd rather just lay in bed with the girl in his arms and talk to her, but if she wanted to watch a movie with the others, he would. "If you want to go down there."

"...if you want we can." V replied after a minute, her voice soft and soothing in his ears.

Nope. Christian shook his head and before he could say anything, a loud knock sounded on the door and opened before either of them could tell the person to come in.

It was the new dude. What'd he want?

Atticus was breathing heavily, and after catching his breathe, he'd managed to say, "Have you seen Casey?"

"Lat time I checked..." Christian paused and let out a sigh. "She was going to talk to PJ. Why do you care where my sister is?"

"Oh, right, she's your sister..." Atticus glances behind him then says, "We can't find her. Some clothes are in her room, but the suitcase is gone. She's gone."

Christian meets Verine's wide eyes, then jumps up, leaving her alone as he jogs out of the room, panicking- maybe she was just out on the beach. Maybe she went for a walk.

"Chris?" It was his mom. Her cheeks were puffy, and she looked scared, "Is it true? You guys can't find her?"

He didn't answer her- only pressed a kiss to her cheek and ran right out the front door. Once the summer breeze hit his skin, he felt goosebumps rise on his arms, and he twisted all around, hoping to see her or something that would suggest that she was close but she was gone, the beach was empty besides a few lawn chairs and umbrellas that were plunged into the ground.

"Casey!" He called out, and he could hear his voice break- it hurt. When the only response he got was the wind whipping loudly in his ear, he broke into a run, looking around frantically to maybe catch a glimpse of her hair, her skin, anything that would tell him she was okay, but there was nothing. He saw nothing. "CASEY!"

Arms closed around his wrists and somebody was talking but he just needed to get free, keep looking because she was out here, he just needed to find her.

"Christian," It was PJ's voice, but it was muffled. Chris struggled, but he was tired, he wanted to sit for a seconds then keep looking, but he couldn't find the energy to lift himself back up. "Chris, calm down, it's okay."

It wasn't okay- his sister was missing, and he was just sitting here, doing nothing? No. That wasn't okay.

"But-" He looks up, and his eyes meet PJ's bloodshot ones. Had he been crying? That's what it looked like. "We need to find her."

"We will. Tomorrow. It's late, and maybe she just went for a walk." Pj shrugs slightly, but his voice wasn't convincing- he knew she didn't go for a walk.

Where could she be? Why would she leave? What happened? She wasn't safe out there on her own- they needed to get out there tonight, find her before it was too late. If it wasn't already too late.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:15 pm
NicoleBri says...

Katrina

I sat on the bed with my baby, she was laying in my arms just looking around and cooing. I loved this baby girl, she is my whole world wrapped in one little body. I smiled and rocked her, she had just got done eating so I was happy she was happy.

"Baby girl, I love you." I told her. She was the only person I felt I would ever need. None of the relationships I had been in were really worth saving, not even her daddy. I sighed and gently laid her on my bed beside a pillow; all I felt like doing was sleeping.

I wrapped her and myself in a blanket and put her by the wall against a pillow. Huffing, I laid there and just stared at her.

-----------------------

It felt like hours had went by but it was really only forty-five minutes, there was ruckus downstairs. Alexis had fallen asleep so I got up and put her in the crib that I had set up merely 2 hours ago. She was a beautiful child. I took the baby monitors and laid one beside her on the shelf and took the other one with me downstairs.

"What's going on?" I asked once I was down with the others.

Verine looked hurt, "Casey has gone missing." she told me. My eyes widened and my heart ached, oh no. I didn't know what to even say or think, it wasn't like I could just go search for her, especially since my baby was asleep right up the stairs.

I sat down at the kitchen table. Where oh where could Casey go?

I felt dumbstruck that I couldn't figure anything out. I walked up to Casey's room and looked around.

After looking, I noticed she really did plan this whole run away thing, pretty well. I sat on her bed and took out my phone, flipping through my contacts, I find her name and text her phone.

Case, I know that you are missing. I just want you to know, whatever problems you are going through, just so you know; you can talk to me about it. :) I miss you already. You are a great person and you WILL get through whatever it is. If you decide in your heart you want to come back. I'll be there for you in a heart beat. Text me as soon as possible. You didn't even really see Alexis! She will love you! :) -Kat

I sent that long text, and I re read it. Everything I sent, I truly meant it. She was an amazing person. I got up and went back to my room to check on Alexis, she was still sleeping. I sat down on my bed and just waited. Hoping to finally receive some type of sign that Casey was okay.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:11 pm
Kanome says...

Verine Anderson

Verine didn’t know what to do. With Casey gone, everyone has gone berserk. Verine sighed sadly as she sat down on the front stairs of the porch, taking out her phone. She noticed that she got a text from someone. Casey. “Why would she text me…?” She clicked on the message, reading the text to herself.

Verine, if you got this message, then you know I went away. Please tell everyone don’t look for me. I am in a safe place, so don’t worry. I will tell you where I am, but don’t tell the others okay? I am at –

“Verine.”

Verine turned off her phone as she looked up to see Christian. “Oh… hey.”

“Any luck?”

Verine looked down at the ground, conflicting whether to tell Christian, Casey’s own brother, that she knows where Casey is. But, something that Casey said… I will tell you where I am, but don’t tell the others, okay? Does she not want to be found? Or what? Verine was confused but she did the ultimate thing that she has never done before. Lie.

“No, no luck…”

Christian patted her head gently. “We are going to find her and be a family again.” Christian then walked back inside with the others. Verine mumbled quietly to herself, feeling bad for lying to her lover. “… That’s the problem. She doesn’t want to be found…”

Verine then got up and went inside. She checked the clock, seeing that it was almost nine at night. Verine looked at everyone, sighing sadly. “We should sleep, guys… that way we can start searching for her in the morning.”
“That’s a great idea, Verine.” Katrina nodded in agreement, with everyone else following. Everyone headed to their bedrooms. Christian was holding Verine’s hand, heading back to his room. As they reached their destination, Verine sat on the bed, staring blankly at the wall.

“Is something wrong, V?”

“Ah… just worried about Casey. I hope she’s okay…”

“Me too.”

Christian and Verine laid down on the bed, covering up under the huge, warm blanket.

“… Chris.”

“Yeah?”

“There’s something… you should know.” Verine was about to tell him the truth about Casey.

“What is it?”
As soon as Verine spoke out, all that came out was. “… I love you.”

Christian chuckled softly. “I love you too.” Christian kissed the top of Verine’s head, smiling at her. “Good night, V.”

“Good night…”

Verine didn’t know what to do about her situation.
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

Reviews: 4
Sun May 03, 2015 8:26 pm
thelostone says...

Casey Whells

I had been walking for a little over an hour. My arm was growing sore from holding it out for so long. The sound of loose gravel crunched made my head turn and an ancient Chevy Silverado slowed down until it matched my walking pace. The window rolled down and an older looking man with a cigar in his mouth greeted me. From the creases by his eyes and around his mouth, I guessed he was in his sixties.

"fixin' for a ride there, lil' miss?" He had a thick southern accent and his voice was rugged from what I assumed was years of smoking. The cigar bounced against his lips as he talked.

I studied him for a moment, trying to gauge whether or not I'd be abducted if I got in his truck. The red paint was flaking off the truck and a figure of a hawaiian girl swayed her hips on his dashboard. It was getting dark quickly and I figured it would be safer and nicer to tag along rather than camp out on the side of the road.

"Yeah, actually."

He stopped the car and I hopped into the passenger seat.

"Where you off to?" He asked, tapping the ashes off his cigar.

"Nowhere in particular. Wherever you stop next is where I'm off to."

He looked at me through square thin wire glasses. As he took in a sharp breath, his gray mustache twitched. "Why's a fine young lady like you lookin' to hitchhike?"

I squirmed in my seat.

"Hit a nerve there, did I?" He cleared his throat and stuck out his hand. "Suppose it's none of my business anyway. Name's Howard. My wife calls me Howie."

I took his callused hand and shook it. His skin reminded me of tanned old leather.

"Casey."

Howard put out his cigar as we neared the express way.

"So, where are we going, Howard?"

"I'm goin' home, darlin'" the corners of his mouth turned up as he spoke. "To Springfield, Louisiana. I've been visiting my grandbabies up here and now it's 'bout time to be headin' back." He pressed his lips together before continuing. "My wife's sick. She wasn't fit'ta travel with me. I hate havin'ta leave her, but she insisted I visit for Katherine's birthday."

"Is Katherine your daughter?" I asked.

He nodded. "One of three."

Howard told me about his family and his modest one story home in Louisiana as we drove down the empty highway. The more he talked about Louisiana, the more excited I was to be going. I hadn't thought out what would happen once I get there but I firmly believed that everything would work out eventually.

At some point in the night, Howard stopped at a motel off the highway. He offered to rent me my own room but I declined. Howard gave me the bed while he slept in the small chair.

I couldn't sleep well and I had a feeling it wasn't from Howard's snoring. My phone burned in my pocket. I knew by now someone must've noticed my absence. Are they worrying? I took in a deep breath and turned on my phone. It blew up with missed calls and texts from everyone, even aunts and uncles.

A twinge of guilt pecked at me. I decided someone should know where I am. After all, we're leaving in the morning anyway.

I clicked on Verine's name and typed out a short message.

Please tell everyone don’t look for me. I'm in a safe place, so don’t worry. I will tell you where I am, but don’t tell the others okay? I'm in Spartanburg, SC. I'm okay. Don't come looking for me.

I hit send, turned my phone off again, and tried to get some sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, a cup of orange juice and a muffin were sitting on the bedside table.

"Mornin' sunshine." Howard smiled kindly as he finished off a cup of coffee. "Ready to hit the road?"

I nodded and swung the drawstring bag over my shoulder. I grabbed the muffin and nibbled on it to show Howard I was grateful for the gesture.

We checked out of the motel and climbed back into the rusting truck.

"Louisiana here we come."
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon