Young Writers Society

Crisis at Christmas II [Open/ Accepting]

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:12 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

All characters from the original will be reserved for their previous owners. However, all new characters are welcome.

Plot: For some people, Christmas is just another day, maybe even a bad day, and so why shouldn't they commit crimes just because it's Christmas?

Unfortunately, this means that the good guys have to go out there and stop them and all before they can eat their turkey! This is definitely a crisis... at Christmas.

Rules:

1. Don't kill others' characters.
2. Keep it PG 13 - mild swearing and no sexual references or descriptive nudity.
3. Have fun!

Characters

These are just ideas - feel free to claim one of them or make your own! Anything goes, but be sensible. If you're going to play a God, you still need to have some kind of weakness.

1. A hero who was born with the ability to rewind time by fifteen seconds to make a tiny change that might have a large ripple affect on the world.
2. A villain who can make small puppets come to life and grow to people size.
3. A hero who has some control over energy fields, for example turning lights on/ off, cutting the power to a vehicle etc.
4. A neutral bystander who has taken the job of Santa Claus because they need the cash and becomes the target of the villain's antics. Also gifted with telekinesis.
5. A neutral individual who has visions of the future and sees that this is about to happen and has nothing better to do than come spectate.

Characters from the original

1. Rydia A super villain with the ability to turn everything he touches to gold. Normally wears gloves to negate this ability. This character does not like Christmas for personal reasons and has been calling his fellow villains all Christmas Eve to incite them to create chaos.
2. @ShadowVyper A crazy scientist who wants to use an anti gravity gun he/ she has created to send everything off into space.
3. @Iggy A rich teenager who has been dabbling in witchcraft and now knows how to bring small animals back from the dead (like rabbits or cats) to create zombie pets under his/ her control, as well as a few more basic spells.
4. @Nike A government spy with lots of cool gadgets who wants to put the bad guys behind bars.
5. @TimmyJake A (not so) common burglar who chooses the wrong house to rob - one of the hero's or villain's and gets caught up in the events.
6. @Sunshine A hero from medieval times who was accidentally teleported to the modern world by another hero and is now helping out while the teleporter to send him/ her home recharges/ is stuck here for good.
7. @Animal Banta Claus the evil Santa.
8. @AriaAdams Equinox the multi-gendered God.
9. @Dakushau Jay Vankleve the villainous ice mage.
10. @AlfonsoFernandez John-Harry Williamssmith the bipolar scientist.

When do we Start?

Now! Feel free to discuss ideas in the DT, or just create a character and jump straight in.

Character Template
Feel free to use this or to make your own.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Code Name:[/b] [optional]

[b]Hero/ Villain/ Neutral:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Strengths:[/b] [include special abilities here]

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:36 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Daniel Stone | Midas | Dan's House

It was that time of year again and after the fun of last Christmas, Dan knew exactly who to call. Maybe he'd add one or two new villains to the playlist, but he hoped a few of his old favourites were in town.

Once again, the phone tucked under his ear, Daniel reached for the box on the top shelf of the cupboard.

"Yes, of course I know what day it is!" Daniel sighed as his gloved fingers touched the edge of the box and he started to claw it toward him. It would have been easier without the gloves, or easier for any other person. The trouble for Dan was that no gloves meant a gold box and the shelf was none too sturdy. Of course, he could turn that to gold as well but then he'd need to get his blow torch from the garage to open up the box.

"Don't you have better things to do? Some of us have friends, a family..."

"Don't give me that. You tried to make the same excuses last year and look how much fun we had!"

"I spent four days in a cell before your lawyer got me off."

Dan grunted into the phone as he finally got enough purchase on the box to slide it down and shuffled its weight over to the bed.

"But he did get you off," Dan pointed out. "Look, we'll be smarter this year. They won't know what him them. So are you in or are you a wet blanket?"

The presents this year had been as bad as last year with an overly bright Christmas tree jumper from his mum and a gardening spade from his dad. Which was very redundant since his garden was gold 365 days of the year.

After the phone-call, Daniel reached into the box and pulled out a pair of gloves. He quickly stripped off his leather ones (with their chemical coating) and pulled his hands into the metallic but surprisingly flexible pair. They shone gold in the light, their ruby encrusted surface polished until he could see his face in it. A very golden and excited face. There was one thing which Dan really loved about these gloves though and as he pushed a button on top of one, both gloves folded back to reveal his hands.

Dan drove his car out of the garage and parked outside his house, the roof folded down to let the icy air breathe across his face.

Now to wait and see who decided to show.
Writing Gooder

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:28 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

Brandon Peck | with Alyssa | Day before Christmas

“So this is what you came out with?“ Alyssa fingered the rolls of cash thrown onto the table. The crinkling of genuine American dollars filled the night air. She gestured to the chair beside her—a stool more fit for a young child than the tall man standing beside her. “Sit.”

Brandon took the seat in silence, knowing if he said something negative in any way, she would either begin screaming at him or the wall—or both. She tended to do that. Too many weeks of stealing whatever-she-wanted had taught him to let her have the last say in anything, even if the argument was as ridiculous as the one last week—which Dorito flavor was the best.

“So what do you want? The job’s finished.” Brandon took the seat without a second look, even though a leather couch lined the far wall. No matter where he turned, there was a nicer place to sit than what she’d pointed out to him.

“Yes, I know.” Alyssa scanned over the remainder of what he’d ‘gleaned’ off the safe in that high-rise apartment building. Brandon didn’t know why she’d wanted the money from that particular place, but he didn’t care. He had enjoyed her expression as he dove out the window of the top story—two hundred feet from the grass below.

Only one more job left. That was the deal.

“How many times have you done this for me?” She tossed the money aside, and played with her blonde hair, twirling it around her fingers. Brandon resisted the urge to squirm, the rock-hard seat making it difficult to remain still.

“I have done nine jobs for you,” Brandon said. That had been their agreement—the one thing which kept them from going their own ways. She’d agreed to bust him from jail, but only as long as he helped her financial status (aka, robbing whoever she wanted).

“So one more until our deal is done.” She squinted through the low light, the only lamp illuminating the enormous room being in the far corner. And Brandon knew the TV perched on the wall would provide more light than the wimpy bulb. “Better make it the best.”

Brandon simply nodded, but at time like this, he wished he had just stayed in the cell. No matter how horrid it was in jail, he wasn’t sure which was the best—that cell or working under her. Of course everyone else in their little party had made it out in a few days thanks to Midas’ clever lawyer. But he was the only one with an actual criminal record, so no smart talking would get him out of there—especially since none of the others had many sentimental feelings about him. Midas especially.

But Alyssa had seen more in him than just that he’d been the one to attempt a heist on Midas’ Lamborghini. Or so he thought. She came back and busted him out of jail, with the help of some undead mutts Brandon still couldn’t keep out of his head. Sunken eyes, flesh hanging off of bone like rotting streamers, saliva dripping from fangs. Not your typical lap dog.

“Yes,” he said. “One more. What’s it going to be?”

Alyssa hesitated for a moment, not like she wasn’t sure, but trying to raise the tension of the moment. Sometimes he wanted to strangle her. And the only thing that kept him from doing that very thing, or just walking out, was that she was the only person who tip the police. And if he left her before their deal was completed, he was one-hundred and four percent sure she would do that very thing.

“I got a phone call from someone today.” She said it like it was a big deal, an once-in-a-lifetime thing. Even though her phone went off at least twenty times a day. “You remember that big party last year?”

“Y-you mean that gathering last Christmas!” Brandon sputtered. “Yeah, I remember. It’s why I am sitting here now, and not with family.”

“Oh, whatever. No one would want to spend Christmas with you, anyway. You’re such a stick in the mud.” Alyssa rolled her eyes at him, and leaned back in her chair. “They invited me again for another party.”

“They did? And why does this matter to me?”

“Because that is going to be your last job,” Alyssa said. “I want you to come to his house with me, and your job is to get away with as much gold as you can—but without being noticed this time.”

She stood and pushed her chair back, slipping a fur jacket onto her shoulders. Patting his stoic cheek on the way past him, she rolled her eyes again. “You’re so boring.”

“I thought my job was to steal stuff, not make jokes.” Brandon sensed their conversation was over, finally, and stood away from the stool, trying to force the blood flowing and uncomfortable feelings out. “I am terrible at being funny, anyway.”

“Yeah, tell me about it.” Alyssa said with a huff. “At least you’re a decent thief. And you’re going to come with me to Midas’ house tomorrow, and we’re all going to have a blast—while you do your thing.”

Brandon waved a hand submissively, and walked to the door. “Yeah, call me when I need to be here.” He side-stepped to avoid a novel lying face down, and almost tripped into one of her zombie dogs snoring beside it. Breathing out in relief, he tiptoed around it to get to the door. There was a scar on his leg to remind him of what happened last time he scared it.

Just before he opened the door, Alyssa called out to him from her couch, remote in hand. “Have a Merry Christmas!” Brandon could have sworn her smile was genuine.
But then it faded away to her normal expression when being around him—of complete boredom and trouble.

“Yeah,” he said. “See you tomorrow.”
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:33 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Alyssa Warren | The White Witch
A day before Christmas

Alyssa's eyes followed the man as he exited her apartment. Despite the remote in her hand, she refrained from turning on the television until his footsteps had faded away.

For a second, she wondered if this was worth the effort. Taking him away from his family. She didn't have anyone, of course, so choosing today, of all days, to put her plan into action didn't bother her at all. She was an orphan; she had no family. But what did Brandon have?

Alyssa wondered if he had kids. Someone to go to after a long night of theft and petty robberies. In any case, it didn't matter. They wouldn't be for long, tomorrow night. He would have time to go home to his family.

With a sigh, she looked back down at her remote and tapped the power button, powering on her television.

A look around the house quickly gave away her financial state. She was in a pretty good place right now. Much better than she had been last year. Alone, barely surviving, confused and scared with this newly-found ability that she had no way of experimenting with. Where else would she find a dead animal corpse? And how would she run tests on it? The thoughts were running through her head exactly one year ago, on this day, on a cold December night. Headed towards Midas' house. Seeking answers.

And she left with nothing. Nothing except Brandon's promise. Busting him out of jail had been easy. In return, she had asked him to do what was the hardest thing he ever had to do; steal. Not just from anyone. From the richest people she could find close by.

She was smart, of course; she made sure he went far and wide, so the police couldn't link the spots together and make any sort of assumption. She didn't want him in jail once more; it wouldn't be easy to bust him out a second time. No, she had him go places. She used the treasures he brought her to obtain riches, more than she'd had before, but not enough, even after nine successful robberies.

No, she wanted more. She wanted his final robbery to be tomorrow night, at Midas' house. The grand reunion. Where he would take as many things as he could, shove them into a bag, and leave. She was glad Midas hadn't invited Brandon; it would've made things much more complicated. Now all he had to do was sneak in and take things. Anything.

She remembered the way his house looked. Everything coated in gold. Shiny. Gleaming. Her reflection in the cool material. Even his toilet had been gold.

Everything was gold. Maybe even he would turn gold, if Alyssa could convince Daniel to touch himself. Maybe he would die, and she wouldn't have to steal anymore. She would have his house and everything inside.

Not without getting Midas to touch everything, of course.

A small smile touched her lips. This was a good plan. Why be at a Christmas party with your family when you could be getting filthy rich?

The next day had her up around ten o'clock a.m. They had agreed to meet at her apartment around three p.m., to officially go over the plan once more. Then she would drive them down to Daniel's house and they would observe, allowing Brandon the time to truly visualize how this would go down; he claimed it was helpful.

Alyssa would've argued, insulted him, claimed it was a waste of time, but she had to admit; she wasn't the expert, he was. So she kept her mouth shut and agreed. Tomorrow. The day of Christmas, at three p.m.

With a sigh and a rubbing of her tired blue eyes, Alyssa sat up and threw off her sheets. Time to get the day started.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:27 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Daniel Stone | Midas | Dan's House

Dan wasn't sitting in his car for long before the first of his guests arrived and of course it was Eis. Dan could see the soft flurries of snow before the man himself became visible, his arms gesturing calmly to the right and left as he encouraged the snow to billow around him and settle on the golden lawn. Coming from anyone else, Midas might have felt like this was an intrusion on his property, but Eis was cool. The super villain was the closest thing to a best friend that Dan had, really.

"Eis, glad you could make it man! Just jump in the car and the once the others-"

"Last year there was already trouble before I got here."

"Yeah, none this time. So when the others get here, the plan is-"

"Trouble's never far from you."

Dan scowled and slumped a little lower in the driver's seat. Eis had a direct way of speaking that you couldn't really argue with but sometimes it peeved him off.

"Look, I've got my lawyer on speed dial and he'll fix it for all of you, if anything goes wrong, like he did last year."

"Like he did for Brandon?" The voice was clipped and direct enough that it could have been taken for Eis, if it wasn't also female. Dan turned his head and flashed a wide smile at Alyssa.

"Brandon who?" he asked innocently, though he knew exactly who she was talking about.

"The burgular."

"Oh you mean that Brandon. Well he was trying to rob me and I heard he got out on his own anyway so everyone's a winner."

Dan flashed his grin again and waved her over. He didn't care one bit about the burgular and had actually just forgotten to tell his lawyer there was an extra one on the tab. He'd not remembered until he'd seen in the papers about the guy's escape and thought good for him.

"He doesn't like it when people try to steal from him," Eis added helpfully.

"Why?" Alyssa sounded genuinely interested and she tilted her head slightly as she climbed into the open top car. "You've got plenty of gold, I'd have thought you wouldn't miss it much."

"It's the principle!" Midas exclaimed. "Besides, it's such a bother to have to go out of town and replace that stuff and then I get the cops on my back when someone calls in about being sold a gold vase that turned out to be an ordinary one. It's bothersome."

Dan didn't add that some of the items in his house were irreplaceable. He didn't want to get into a sob story about how his girlfriend had left him and how he kept everything she'd ever given to him - even that stupid bracelet, honestly! What kind of a man would want a bracelet - in the largest guest room, which he never let anyone use. Some things were just too personal to share.
Writing Gooder

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:04 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

Brandon Peck | At Home
Christmas Morning

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Brandon rolled over and slapped the alarm to shut it up. He felt like smashing the damn thing because it persisted in buzzing him every five minutes—for the past hour. And it was six inches too far away from him to shut it off easily. All he wanted to do was bury his head in the pillows, let the blankets continue to wrap him in their cozy haven, and forget everything he had to do today.

Today. Christmas.

He scrambled out of the sheets, untangling himself from their constriction to plant his uncertain feet on the floor. He shivered—cold. Frowning over at the heater in the corner, which was whirring in a pitifully quiet way, he remembered that he needed to fix the heating. He also needed to take a look at the washer, the dishwasher, the microwave and the fridge. None of them were working properly. But when working for Alyssa in the last six months, he never found time to do the odd jobs around the house. And he was alone and almost never home, so it didn’t matter enough to him to take care of it. Much better to go out and do what he did best—then have it fixed while he drank beer and watched TV.

Wiping the sleepiness from his eyes, he stumbled over to his closet. Let’s see. Jeans, jeans—um, jeans, jeans. I think I’ll pick jeans. Remembering what Alyssa had planned for him today, he picked what would help him fit in with the rest of the world. Perhaps a Christmas colored shirt? He flipped through his closet, on the floor, inside his dresser. Black, black—uh, sort of black, although speckles of something else, white. Shrugging, he threw on a black exercise shirt—long sleeved to help protect himself from the cold.

His clock told him it was 10:47—time to move.

Alyssa would be expecting him within a few hours. There was planning to do (so much planning. Ugh), and they needed to derive some ideas on what she wanted. Most of all, he needed to make sure he was more prepared than last year. No more metallic fights with whatshisface. If he was to ever face him off again, he needed to be prepared—even if he wanted to avoid the dude.

“Just get it over with,” he mumbled. He slumped back to the bed and slipped on his sneakers—black and flexible. Perfect for what he needed them for. And quite comfy for loafing around the house—if he was ever able to. He glanced around the room with a sniff, scanning over the tumble of clothing, McDonalds bags from last month, beer cans and bottles—and his PJ’s from the last night, lying on the top of the pile.

He shrugged again and headed out, shoving everything out of the way so he could close the door behind him. At least the outer room of his little apartment was neat enough, but that was through no fault or credit of his own, because he didn’t do anything in it. It held his equipment—that was it. Nothing more. Anything else, and the room would become cluttered and he wouldn’t be able to find everything with ease.

The coffeemaker hadn’t been set to auto last night. He waved a dismissive hand at it. Damn thing. He decided to skip it, too much work, and drop by Starbucks on the way to Alyssa’s. Knowing her, she’d probably already have gone there, to the store, and to the theater for a movie marathon by noon.

Lying on the table was what he wanted: a simple set of his most basic equipment—a small bag, sturdy and lightweight, perfect for concealing and carrying whatever he took, a Taser for the people who annoyed him or got in the way, a few common tools one kept around the house, a few “special” tools he’d acquired from a retired burglar (apparently, they existed)—nothing else. He wanted this job to be light and quick, with nothing extraneous. Plus, he’d have a man on the inside, so to speak. Which would help him if he needed anything. There was still so much to plan with Alyssa.

Beside all of that was the one tool he almost never took with him—a small pistol, easy to conceal inside his pocket or down in his sock. He brought it on occasion in fear of those… special cases. But he knew he wasn’t that kind of thief, and never would be—unless he took it with him and one day went too far. It was one thing to use it for intimidation if his size and Taser didn’t do the trick, but pulling the trigger even once would label him far different from what he wanted.

He shook his head and pulled the slide, allowing the cartridge in the chamber to slip out and fall onto the floor. Dropping the clip onto the table, he set the pistol inside a drawer in desk in the corner—aka, the only desk in the apartment. There would be no guns in this robbery.

He looked at his watch—11:23

There was nothing to do. Snatching the car keys off the table from where he’d thrown them the night before, he grabbed his bag of stuff, slipped on his jacket—dual lining, hood, nice, comfy slot for his hands—and even threw a scarf over his neck.
Who said he couldn’t get at Alyssa’s a bit early? Say, perhaps three hours early? As much as he hated her company, it was better than sitting around with no one in his cold and empty apartment.

He locked the door behind him.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate