z

Young Writers Society

Lincoln Wood Private College Prep

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:49 pm
Nike says...

Jane Wills

A new school for a whole semester? Not fun. I don't know anyone here. And I'd like not to know. These are all posh kids. And me? I'm a simple girl who can't get around to order a grande coffee at Starbucks everyday.

"You are the girl from Harmony, yeah?" some girl came up to me.

She was shorter than me with blonde hair and striking blue eyes. I crossed my arms over my chest and smiled at her.

"Yeah, I'm a little intimidated here." I admitted.

"Oh don't be." she paused, "I'm Dafnie by the way."

"Jane,"

"Well Jane, stick by me and you'll be just fine."
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:17 am
Gravity says...

Adrian

Having Jessie in my apartment just felt right and Isaac seemed to enjoy it. He was about 2 or 3 months old at that point and getting a little more active. Still small, still breastfeeding and not crawling yet but he liked to play with stuffed animals and rattles which was something. He wasn't just eating, sleeping and pooping anymore. Oh, and crying. I forgot crying.

My phone rang when I was in the kitchen, fixing a smoothie. It was Colette.

"Bonjour, ma cousine, comment ca va?" we always conversed in French.

"Not so great, actually." she said in French.

"What's going on?" I asked and Jessie looked at me, cocking her head. Naturally she couldn't understand what I was saying, she'd taken Spanish. She had some basic French under her belt but we were talking way too fast for her to understand us. Although, I think she'd managed to grasp that something was wrong.

"I was raped." I nearly dropped the phone.

"What? When?" I asked, stopping the blender.

"A few days ago," she replied, speaking in rapid French, "But before that maybe a month and a half."

I swore, this time in English and Jessie tensed, ignoring Isaac for a moment.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I shouted in French, I didn't normally have a hot temper. But this angered me. "Who did this to you? Are you okay? Where are you?"

Her voice trembled. "My h-h-h-host father. He took advantage of my previous paralysis. That's why I left Rupert." she sounded like she was on the verge of tears. "I'm at his house now, Rupert's, I mean. He knows everything."

"Does Dafnie know? Thorne?"

"Yes, Thorne was the first I told. Dafnie just found out today and Rupert found out a few days ago, right after..." she trailed off after her voice broke. I was somewhat hurt she hadn't come to me, but I pushed that aside. This was about Colette.

"Do you need me?" I asked, "Or do you want to be alone?"

"Here's the thing," she said, "Mom and Dad are going to have to come because we think we're pressing charges. They won't want me staying with Rupert and I can't go back there. They don't know Dafnie otherwise I'd stay with her. Can I come live with you? I know you only have one bedroom, I'll sleep on your couch. But I can't stay with them." I looked at Jessie and she was staring intently at me, thoroughly confused. She'd deduced at that point that it was Colette, but she didn't know what was going on.

"Jessie is staying with me. Her and the baby. Her Dad had to go out of town on business last minute." She raised her hands at her name, mouthing what's going on? to me.

"You're letting her stay with you? What the hell, Adrian? That is not your child and you are not responsible for it."

"His name is Isaac. I understand you're upset right now but I couldn't let them stay alone at Jessie's."

"I don't really care, anymore, Adrian. I'm going through so much right now and I need you." This is when she broke, beginning to sob. She didn't have the emotional capacity to be angry. "I feel so violated and I need to go where it's safe."

I could feel my heart breaking. Colette could not be near Jessie, she was already dealing with enough. And Jessie wouldn't want Cole around the baby, anyway.

"Jessie is staying here. I can't kick her out, she just got here. Are you willing to stay here while she is?" she paused.

"Anything is better than staying with my parents," she replied, "But where will I sleep if Jessie has the couch?"

"Um," I felt uncomfortable, "Jessie sleeps in my bed with me."

"Oh."

"We aren't having sex-"

"Ade, I don't care. I'll be over tonight with my stuff. I love you, cousin."

"I love you too. Am I allowed to tell Jessie what you've been through? I understand if you don't want me to."

"Don't tell her!" Cole said, "Don't tell anyone." And then she hung up.

I walked over and sat on the couch, putting my head in my hands. Colette was raped and there was nothing I could do.

"What is it?" Jessie asked, gently settling Isaac down in his cradle. "What's going on?"

"Colette has been through something truly horrible. She needs to stay with me while her parents come to settle things."

"Adrian," she said, "I know you love her and I have no idea what she's been through but you and I both know this is a recipe for disaster."

"I love you," I said, "And I love my son. But Colette is like a sister to me and she cannot keep it together, not by herself. Please trust me. She is going to be moody and temperamental and she is probably going to ignore. Please try to make this work, for me."

Jessie kissed me, "Okay," she said, "Whatever you need."

Spoiler! :
@GuyFieri
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:24 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Brooke Kestner

You know how long it takes to drive from San Diego to Seattle? Almost 19 hours not including stops, and trust me I have been counting down every single minute. It's not necessarily because I’m excited for the “new start” as my mom described it. It’s actually because I can't wait to get out of this small moving family time trap. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family. Just not 19 plus hours straight with them. Then again, for most of the time we all kind of shut each other out, but the actual amount of time my mom forces us to play travel games is pretty torturous. There’s only so many red things I can spy on the highway. Plus every time we are all in the same room together nobody can make it through the moment without pissing somebody off. Although I’m pretty proud. We’ve made this whole trip without arguing more than 3 times. So proud…

The main instigators of the arguments are usually my dad, and brother Noah. Both very headstrong males. Quick summary: Dad, wanted a successful sporty boy that he could connect well with. But instead, dad got a musical prodigy who is exactly opposite of him. Still successful, but still so opposite. Trust me, in this situation opposites do not attract. So as it turns out I took the place of the sporty child he could connect with in the family, and my brother took the place as mom's favorite. Unlike dad and Noah though, me and my mother have an understanding. We sure as hell will never understand each other, but we have enough dignity to not let it ruin the whole mom daughter thing. We even made a deal. I promised I would continue to come to her with all my “girl problems”, if she would stop pressuring me to be something I’m not. So far it's worked. I got surprisingly lucky with the whole “my mom isn't actually a crazy mom” thing.

We’re on hour 18 of driving, and we’ve got about 30 minutes until we reach the new house. Mom is on her 20th episode of Breaking Bad, Dad’s rocking out to his favorite Beatles album, and Noah is most likely drooling over the work of some french composer whose name I don't know how to pronounce. As for me I’m researching the new school for the time being. Mom says I’ll just scare myself into hating it, but I’ve never been one to run from a challenge.

Both Noah and I were pretty excited when they announced the move last year. What we didn't like, was the fact that it was in the middle of the year. Which meant I had to get sport privileges from the coaches. We didn't just move to Seattle for my dad's job, we also moved because I got some sport scholarships from the school to come and play. (which means I will probably not be the team's favorite person considering I’m just coming in, and getting a spot without even “trying”.) Noah on the other hand kind of needed a start over. A lot of stuff happened last year, and if he’s going into Julliard he needed to get away from those problems. (aka A girl, and her crazy ex-boyfriend, but that's a story for a later time.)

“Brooke?” I look up from my phone screen at my mother who is looking at Noah and I. “Did you hear what I said.”

“Sorry. No I didn’t. What’s up?” I ask.

“Since you and Noah start tomorrow you both need to get your registration stuff sorted out today.” She pulls out her phone, and starts typing. “I’ll text you both your schedules that the principal emailed me last week. She offered to let you both tour during the school day with a chaperon. That way you can get a feel for the school and your schedules before you start tomorrow.”

“A chaperon? No way.” Noah refutes. “We are not gonna be those kids. Besides, we’re not five years old.”

“It was only a suggestion from the principal Noah. Plus it will be a student, so it's not super obvious. They’ll simply run through your schedules, introduce you to some people, explain clubs, and even give you a tour of the building. See it’s simple, and Brooke they will have you meet with the Swim coach to discuss your practice times okay?”

“Yeah mom. Thanks.” Noah slumps in his seat, and places his earbuds back in. “Hey mom? What about unpacking?”

“Your father will work with the moving guys to get it started while we’re at the school.”

“You’re coming?”

“Oh gosh! I will be in the office for most of the day working everything out. Dont worry I won't embarrass you guys. No matter how much I want too.” She stares at me waiting for the expected laugh. Instead my dad quickly fills that silence with his deep laugh. Try imagining a mixture of chewbacca, a bear, and Samuel L. Jackson. That’s my dad’s laugh in a nutshell. “Thanks honey.” My mom smiles, and he takes her hand placing a kiss on her knuckles.

“Just try to enjoy it today, and Brooke make sure you figure out extra practice hours so you can get in the extra work.” My dad looks at me through the rearview mirror and winks.

“Yeah dad. I’ll look into it.” I look down at my lap. I know that's what he wanted to hear, but I also know I need to get a job. Can’t do both. At least I can't let him believe that.

We pull up to the school parking lot, and my dad drops us off at door one. Classes have thankfully already started for the day so luckily no one can see me stretch away that past 18 plus hours of driving, and the results of a cramped hotel room. My mom, as usual, walks towards the front door like a giddy dance mom. Noah and I walk behind her keeping our gaze off the sound of her clacking heels. Thats right. She wore them out every time we stopped on the car ride. I’ll admit the woman is a trooper. The office is obviously displayed so we had no chance of getting lost. That’s a plus, but I also managed to walk straight into another student as we both tried to enter the double doors at the same time.

“Sorry.” I say.

“Not a problem.” He smiles at me and continues on his way passed the front desk towards the back.

“Welcome to Lincolnwood Mister and Miss Kestner. We are very glad to have you here. Now let's get started shall we?” A nice lady holds her hand out to us, and we begin.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

271 Reviews

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:37 am
Gravity says...

Jules

I went into school that Monday morning feeling horribly confused. I showed up early to use the library to study for exams and I avoided James. I wouldn't look at April in first period.

"Could I please have Juliette Santos to the Office please?" The Spanish teacher stared up at the intercom.

"NO!" He yelled and the whole class laughed. The woman sighed.

"You do this every time. Please send Juliette to the front office."

I had no idea if I was coming back to class so I packed up my stuff and sighed as I left the classroom. I couldn't get April out of my head. I'd kissed her and we'd gone to at least second base. I'd made out with guys in the past but this was a whole new experience for me.

As I came to the office I saw 4 people. The nice lady from guidance, two people my age and who was presumably their mother. They looked tired.

The two people my age both had dark skin and black curly hair. One boy, One girl. The boy was tall and not fat or too skinny, but not really built either. The girl was a different story. Her muscles were well toned and her beautiful curly hair made me envious. My straight hair was somewhat boring. They were both black and I was relieved, somewhat. Somebody besides April in this school who wasn't white. The thought made me giggle.

"Juliette," the nice lady from guidance looked at me. I didn't bother to correct her, they'd never call me Jules. "Since you're one of our newer students, you've been elected by the principal's council to show Noah around." he looked at me and I found myself feeling like a bug under his gaze.

I ran my fingers over the fabric of my clothes. I'd opted for black, loose but very flattering and feminine t shirt that accentuated my frame and had a pocket above my breast. I'd chosen short shorts and cute sandals as well, a casual and comfortable but very cute outfit. I'd done my makeup a little bit more dramatic with red lipstick and my hair was in a side fishtail braid. Noah noticed me, my clothes, my hair. I thought maybe he was checking me out. It made me blush.

"I'm Jules," I held out my hand and he took it, holding on for a little longer than was necessary.

"I'm Noah."

"Noah will be shadowing you in your classes today," the guidance lady interjected. "Take first and second period, show him around the building and do a walk through of where his new classes will be. Teach him the social order of things. You have about an hour and a half until the end of first and second period, that should be plenty of time. Just don't interrupt classes and you should be okay."

I nodded, "Okay, let's go." I led Noah to my locker, spinning the dial of the combination before swinging the door open. I stuffed my bag inside, not wanting to carry it around.

"So how long have you been here?" he asked.

"A month, you came just in time for exams."

"Great," he grumbled, eyeing our schedules side by side to see if we had classes together.

"We don't have anything," I said, "I'm taking more advanced math and sciences courses than you and all my electives are dance related. You're in AP music theory." I'd glanced at his schedule on the way to my locker.

"We do have one class together," he said, "English."

"Oh." I shut my locker door and turned to him. "Great." I tried not to sound either enthusiastic or sarcastic, I didn't know this person and I had my own problems to deal with but I wasn't rude in general.

"So let's start with the lunch, the gym, the library. All those places. We'll go through your schedule once second period starts."

"Sure." he said, looking bored.

I showed him to all the necessary rooms until kids flooded the halls after the bell rang. Once the chaos subsided, I took him to his first class.

"Jules," he interjected.

"Yes?"

"I'm not stupid. I know how to read room numbers, I'll find my classes. I've seen the basic layout of the school. Will you please please please just show me where the hell they keep the piano? I haven't played in over 24 hours. I'm going through withdrawal here."

I sighed. "That's all you want to do?"

"Yes."

"What are you willing to play?" I asked, wanting to practice my solo for recital. Observation week had passed and recital was coming up, I needed to practice my piece from Carmen.

"Anything."

So I led him the empty bandroom before stopping at my locker once again to grab my purse, they only had band 1st and 4th periods, 1st period for the experienced players. 3rd period was AP music theory, Noah's class.

He walked in and saw the full sized grand piano. Private school really paid off.

"Wow," he said, running over to the bench. "These keys are real ivory." he played a chord "And they're weighted. Heavily weighted."

"This is one of the Yamaha originals!" he exclaimed. "Very vintage. I bet it's horrible to tune." He played a few scales, "and it is tuned, perfectly."

He looked up at me suddenly as I started pushing chairs out of the way.

"Here's the deal," I said, "I went through a lot this weekend and I have a recital at the end of the week. If I don't perform perfectly, my dance teacher will have my head. I need to perform perfectly or I won't go up to the next level because I'm pretty new at the studio. So you're gonna play the introduction to the first act of Carmen. If you don't know it, here's the music." I opened my purse and gave him the sheet music.

"Yeah and what do I get in return?"

"A chance to play on your precious piano. Because I promise in AP music theory, you won't touch this thing. And you don't have band until next year. They don't let kids stay after school to play on this thing for obvious reason and I'm willing to bet whatever piano you have at home won't be unpacked for a while."

He looked at me blankly. "I'm going to Julliard. I'm going to be a concert pianist and you want me to do simple accompaniment? Seriously?"

I dangled my point shoes in my hands and gestured to the piano. "This might be your only shot to play on a several thousand dollar piano. That's right, my sister played. I know how much they are. If you make it to Julliard, you still have to wait another year and a half to play on whatever they have there."

He bit his lip. "Fine. We run through your piece a few times and then Haydn calls my name. Okay? We have an hour in here."

He sat down at the piano and did some warm ups while I did a few quick stretches and tied on my pointe shoes.

"So you really dance on your toes, huh?" he asked, running through complex scales as he watched my stretch my foot behind my head.

"Kinda." I said, falling into a split and stretching my hands behind my back.

I stood up and walked by him, getting into first position.

"I'm ready." I said, gesturing at the piece he'd put on the piano. He began to play it, more eloquently than the studio pianist and I danced.

It was really rough at first and I didn't dare trying any of the leaps. I was used to warming up for 1 hour of the 3 hour class and I'd had about 10 minutes. If I tried to hard, I'd injure myself. This exercise was mostly to work on my turnout and to make sure I remembered all the choreography. Noah watched with interest as he played, watching my footwork.

The piece ended and I ended up in an arabesque, balancing on my toes on one foot.

"One more time?" I asked, returning to first. He consented, and I ran through the piece once more, this time trying a few of the more minor leaps.

"Thank you," I said, doing a few fouette turns just for the fun of it.

"You're pretty good," he said, "Though not as good as I am at piano. Do you want to dance proffessionally?" he started playing something else I hadn't heard of.

I paused, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I wasn't sure if it was to dance.

"I don't know yet," I said, "I couldn't dance ballet professionally. I have too many curves." He eyed my figure.

"Yes," he said, "But they're very nice." I played piano and I used the time to stretch my feet and my limbs, I hadn't danced all weekend.

Finally, the bell rang.

"I have to get to lunch," I said, unfastening my pointe shoes. "Technically you're supposed to come with me." I slipped my sandals back on and stuck the Carmen sheet music and my pointe shoes in my purse.

"Okay," he said, and we left for the cafeteria.

Spoiler! :
@HazelGrace16 not my finest but It's 2:36 am XD

267 Reviews

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:18 am
Nike says...

Dafnie Serena Leto

After seeing Cole, it really opened up my eyes. Even though she was hurt, she is learning to accept what happened and let her loved ones help her out. That's real strength. And what I did was cowardly.

I ran away.

My apartment seemed dull. My mother had gone off for a business trip for a month. That's another reason that I left. She couldn't handle me anymore. She wanted to live her extravagant life and I was simply in her way. Since I was gone, she could do whatever the hell she wanted to do. And I think she deserved that too.

I was lying on my bed when I heard a slam which made my heart race. Opening my eyes, I saw Paul crawling through the open window and into my room. He took a steady step on my desk and the jumped down to the floor. I sat up in my bed and fixed my hair. Like that was going to help. I looked like a wreck because I felt like a wreck.

"Paul?" I asked.

He smiled, not able to meet my eyes.

"Hey," he paused. "Good to see you again."

Taking a deep breath, I replied. "Yeah,"

He made his way over to the bed and sat down at the foot of it, giving me the space I needed.

"What are you even doing here?" I asked.

"You left me, and then you came back... I had to see you."

"Right,"

"I know you hate me, but, Daf." he shifted so our eyes met. "I don't hate you."

"I don't hate you either."

Tension grew between us, so thick I could slice it with a knife. I swallowed down my anxiety and scooted over to him so there was only a foot between us. The streetlights flashed into my room through the window, casting a shadow across Paul's face. It made his eyes an intense blue and his lips inviting.

"Then why'd you leave?" he asked.

"Because I don't hate you."

He looked down at my lips, then back at my eyes. I felt his hand reach for mine, creating goosebumps down my arm. I swallowed hard, unable to meet his eyes.

"I've been in love with you since I laid eyes on you Dafnie. You can't keep pushing me away because I know that you love me too." his voice sounded so raw.

I pulled my hand away and met his eyes. My throat closed up but I forced myself to speak.

"You're with the love of you life right now. You think you're in love with me because that's easy. It's a walk in the park to love me because I'm your best friend. We feel comfortable with each other. We know each other. That's not love Paul, that's friendship." I explained.

He rose an eyebrow. "Why can't that be love? Why can't love be comfortable and knowledgeable?"

"Why are you doing this? You're with Isabelle! She's a great girl. Why do you want to break her heart?!" I hissed, scooting back from him.

"Because she broke mine!" He admitted.

My jaw dropped as I watched him put his head in his hands. His body shook as I hugged him. He gasped after a minute and looked up at me. Those blue eyes were now rimmed with red and I couldn't help but wipe his tears from his cheeks.

"I didn't know... I'm so sorry." I said.

"It's okay... she's better off anyway. I was too much of a mess."

"You're not a mess."

"Yeah, I am."

I sighed, pulling away from him. "Just because you guys broke up doesn't mean I'm going to date you. That's not how that works. You can't look for a rebound in your best friend." I said.

He looked up at me and I could already tell that what I said burned his ego. His eyebrows were scrunched together and I swear air was blowing out of his ears.

"I'm not looking for a rebound in my best friend. You're the reason we broke up. Are you honestly that blind or simply that dumb?" he spat.

"What the fuck Paul." I huffed.

"No, Dafnie. I told you that I'm in love with you and you think that I'm joking! Isabelle even saw that. And then you fell for me. What was I supposed to do? My feelings never really went away."

"What were you supposed to do? Get over it! I was going through a phase."

"A phase? So you don't have feelings for me anymore?"

I fell silent and just watched him watch me. My heart was racing and suddenly words were foreign to me. I licked my lips and he moved over to me, closing the distance between us. His hands found their way to my face as they held either side gently. I moved in closer, closing my eyes. His breath touched my skin, sending sparks all over my body. When his lips touched mine, I couldn't think anymore. They were like pillows as they pressed against mine. I opened his mouth and let our tongues dance, making me feel numb all over. After a few minutes, I pulled away, taking a few deep breaths.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:51 am
NicoleBri says...

Isabelle

A new day. A time I needed to forgive. I stared at my father's front door. He was a pain in my ass and yet he will always have a piece of my heart.

I opened the front door and instantly smelled pizza. I slid in quietly and shut the door.

"Daddy?" I yelled.

I heard the shuffling of feet and there he was. A sparkle in his eyes.

I'm so so sorry my sweet Isabelle." Were the words he spoke to me. I was amazed. He cupped my face in his big hands and just stared at me, I could actually see love in his eyes.

"What happened?" I immediately asked him as tears came to my eyes. I gripped him in a hug and cried so much.

His hug was tight, but gentle.

"When you left.. and I never saw you again... it hurt. I never thought I'd see you. That night I drunk til I passed out and the next day reality had set in. I didn't even have any words I could possibly tell you and I was shocked at how fucked up I had been.. especially since your mom passed. I put myself in rehab for about a month or so and now I am alcohol free."

I was definitely puzzled.

"Would you like some pizza?" He asked and gestured me into the kitchen. I smiled and walked passed him. There was a whole pizza sitting on the counter and he got two plates from the cabinet.

"But.. how did you just stop within a month?" I asked. His abuse and drinking were terrible so it couldn't have been that easy.

He sighed.

"Iz. It was your mom," He finally said. A smile appeared on his face.

"While I was in rehab. She came to me. It felt so real. I.. I could feel her and even smell vanilla. You know, that was her favorite perfume. She came to one night, and we talked all about my problems and how she was. She told me it was beautiful. Where ever she was is beautiful. I told her how I felt about you up and leaving and somehow she made me understand everything so clear. She was a miracle."

As he had been telling me this I was balong my eyes out. It was crazy how much he truly loved her. That moment made me realize my dad truly wasn't a lost cause.

"Daddy. I'm gonna go. I have some school work to catch up on." I told him. We exchanged hugs and then I was out the door. This day made me feel that we would actually have some type of father daughter relationship.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

I woke up the next morning on my father's couch. I could tell it was early and I snuck out the front door, it was rather comical, this is the type of thing you do when you had a one night stand and try to hurry up and leave before they wake up.

I cranked my car and slowly drove out the driveway. My home was literally the cabin outside of town right now only because I didn't wanna see Jessie. I missed the baby but I don't wanna see what Jessie has to say when she finds out about Philip.

Once I finally got to the cabin the feeling of loneliness swoop through me. I knew this was the time I needed to spend time and talk to my mother, maybe she would hear me.

The bed was cold but it smelled of Philip. It made me feel better. It was only seven in the morning and I was completely filled with energy.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:12 pm
View Likes
Sunshine says...

So, College is a thing. @GuyFieri I'm here for you. Take this meager offering. I know I'm a month late, but at least I'm exact??? Also @Nike, like, Jane? What?

Adah

Boredom is the worst. I know there are a million and a half things I could be doing, should be doing, would be doing. Instead, I'm just lying on my bed coloring and thinking about how pretty of a face Collin has.

Okay, so maybe that's not the worst way to spend time.

My cell phone rings. I jump up and grab at it, thinking it might be Hayah. She's on a secret date with a girl she really likes, and she keeps me has updated as I'd like. It's comforting to both of us, especially because my parents aren't really supportive of her sexuality. They're going to be pretty happy when they find out I'm with a guy. My other relatives are going to be annoyed with his whiteness, but whatever.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself. It was, like, two dates and a kiss. My parents don't need to know about that yet. (yet!)

"Hello?"

"Hi, is this Adah?"

I'm immediately on edge. It better not be a phone solicitor. "Ye."

"Hi! Your sister gave me your number! I'm, Harley, Collin's sister. We were hanging out at this hotel and wondering if you would like join us!"

"Um..."

"We're getting Chinese food! I really want to meet you! Collin has told me so much about you."

My parent's aren't home. I could do it. It sounds a little sketchy, but my heart thumps at the oppurtunity of adventure. I'd like to see Collin, and meet his sister who he's told about me. If Hayah trusts her...

"Okay, give me the directions. I'll be right there."

-----
I find the hotel pretty easy, and get up to the floor quickly. I knock on what I think is the right room number, but it takes awhile for whoever is in there to answer.

Maybe Harley said 154, not 156? I'm about to walk away when the door pulls open to reveal a red-faced Collin.

"Um... Hi, Collin." Because I'd just spent the last hour picturing his face, and here it is in front of me, I find myself blushing as well.

"Hi, Adah. I'm glad you could make it. " We both stare at each other for a bit longer. I don't know if it was supposed to be like one of those romantic movies where we're 'drinking in each others presence' or whatever. I think we were both being awkward as ever, because no other thought besides 'okay, now what?' was passing through my head.

"Invite the girl in!" A boy's voice yelled.

Another boy? Is this a trap?

Collin steps aside. My body is getting shaky and nervous when he grabs my hand and gently pulls me into the living room area. His hand is tight around mine, and I'm so thankful for him.

On the couch are a boy and a girl, or more like a woman and a man. They look so much more adult than Collin and I. They are wrapped around each other in a comfortable-together-couple kind of way. The man is huge, tall and muscle-y. I can tell that from here. The girl springs up, eyeing Collin and I with kind eyes.

"I'm Harley, Collin's big sister. This is my boyfriend, Luther." The man does not get up, just examines me in a way that makes me uncomfortable. Is this a double date? "We were just watching some movies. Help yourself to the food."

"Thanks, but I'm not really hungry."

"There's pop too!"

I'd feel bad if I didn't take up any of Harley's kind offers, so I let go of Collin's hand and go to the kitchenette, pouring myself a class of root beer. At least they had good taste in pop. Behind me, there is some forceful whispering. I have to take a deep breath before heading back to the TV area.

Again, I'm greeted with Harley's megawatt smile. "Sit down, Adah. I'd love to talk more, but the movie is getting really good. I'm sure Collin can catch you up."

I take my seat next to Collin. He hands me a blanket, and I lay it over both of our laps. He smiles at me, and I smile back. When I look at the screen, all exchanged happiness is gone. It's a horror movie.

Shit. This is totally a trap. I try to be okay with this. I don't watch horror movies for fun, because they're gross. No plot, graphics usually aren't great. I'm not going to need to bury my face in Collin's shoulder, even though I'm aware that is entirely the intent.

My body goes rigid. I'm aware of Harley and her boyfriend wrapped in each other. Someone will scream on screen and she will do the proper jump and bury herself in her boyfriend's arms. At some point, they start making out.

I'm still just sitting by Collin, and risk a look at him. He's looking at me, and rolls his eyes a little. I stifle a laugh. He takes my hand, and I realize that he does not make me uncomfortable. Sitting here with him is not uncomfortable. When I am awkward, I realize that it is an awkwardness within myself, not an awkwardness with him. Being with him has the potential to be as easy as being with Julia or Amy or Krysta. We could be friends, but with more kissing. I really like the sounds of that.

I lean into him, even though I'm a bit taller, I take a deep breath and be okay with that. We sit like that for awhile. Harley lets out little screeches, but I whisper the plot holes and character flaws in Collin's ear for him to laugh at.

"Have you ever watched Pride and Prejudice?" I ask him.

"Of course, and read the book."

"I feel completely and perfectly and incandescently happy right now."

He looks at me, and grabs my empty pop glass. "Let's go refill this."

I don't see why both of us have to refill a pop, but I follow him into the kitchenette. When we're there, he sets the glass in the counter and looks back at me.

"Can we kiss, please?"

He asked for consent! There is literally nothing more charming than that. I try not to care about his sister in the next room, and walk over to him, putting our lips together. It feels really nice, so we keep kissing. I don't really think wither of us know what we're doing, but suddenly his tongue is in my mouth. That's a weird feeling, okay. We both come up for air and look at each other, laughing a little. My cheeks and his are both equal shades of red.

"Still happy?" He asks me.

"Perfectly."

@GuyFieri again, here's this? I would love for them to kiss more or be official or something but?? I hope this is fluffy enough for my absence.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

271 Reviews

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:13 am
Gravity says...

Colette

I'd repacked the bags I had thrown together hastily, frowning. I wanted the rest of my clothes. But then I shuddered, no I didn't want the rest of my clothes. God knows what he had done to them while I wasn't there, using them to fuel his perverted fantasies and whatnot. It was a shame, too. My prom dress was there and I loved it dearly. It reminded me of an amazing night with Rupert.

Having sex with Rupert.

I hugged myself, sitting down on the bed. I hated that he couldn't touch me without me having a panic attack. That part of our relationship made me really sad and at times I craved the physical affection. I trusted Rupert, I loved him and I wished I could give that part of me to him again.

I finished packing away my flat iron and makeup and was just about to step in the shower to grab my shampoo when somebody knocked on my bedroom door.

"Come on in," I called, grabbing the wet bottle and shaking it off in the sink before packing it in a ziploc bag.

"Hey," Rupert said, sitting down on the rumpled bedcovers. "Are you sure you want to go to Adrian's? I know Jessie isn't your favorite person in the world."

"I can't stay here, Rup, I know that's what you were hoping for but I just can't. My parents..." I sighed. I'd never told him or anybody about my parents.

"What about them?" he asked.

"They're lawyers. That's why they're both coming instead of just taking me back to France or only sending one during the trial to be with me. They're going to represent me in court."

"Wait, what?" he exclaimed.

"I don't really have a choice. I want to keep them far away from you. They have ways to access previous records and they would find out about your old lifestyle. I need to prevent that from happening. They're the most successful lawyers in Paris so I really need to keep this under wraps."

He scoffed "Do they even speak English well enough to represent you?"

"My Dad does fluently, my Mom's isn't as good but it's good enough, especially with my Dad there. It's going to be difficult but I don't need family drama to deal with along with... you know." I sank into the bed next to him and he cautiously rubbed my shoulder, gauging my reaction. The touch was welcome, I just wasn't ready for much more than that.

"When does the trial start?" Rupert asked, taking his hand away.

"They're announcing his plea next week." I felt my heart drop into my stomach as I wrapped my arms around myself, I could feel my breaths getting shallow. I felt like my bones were crushing in on themselves even just talking about this.

"Cole, just breathe. You cannot go into panic now." The sense of urgency in his voice just made it worse.

"Sorry, um." he bit his lip but I barely noticed. What if he pled not guilty and drew out the whole thing?

"Listen, hon," he said, "You can do this. It's all going to be okay, just don't think about it. I won't let him hurt you, Okay?" I nodded, trying to breathe and he began packing the rest of my things into my suitcase.

"Okay," I whispered.

Spoiler! :
@Nke

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:55 pm
Ciblio says...

Jessie

"Somewhere beyond the sea

Getting pregnant was an accident. Losing one of the fetuses because I was drunk driving was terrible. Carrying my baby around for 9 months was cruel. Meeting Adrian somehow made all of those seem like nothing. In a good way. He made it seem like there was no bad in the world. Even though I knew there was. Plus with Isaac, that just made it seem like there could be no bad in the world.

And then Cole called.

I hadn't seen her since the whole thing that happened in the hallway, with Rupert and Derek and them. I didn't expect what came next.

somewhere waiting for me,

Adrian was on the phone, speaking fluent French, and I wasn't educated enough in the language so I was completely lost as to what was going on. When he finally got off of the phone, his brows were furrowed, his lips pursed tightly together, and his eyes glistened just the slightest. I bit my lip, and listened as he said, "Colette has been through something truly horrible. She needs to stay with me while her parents come to settle things."

Shit.

"Adrian," I paused , "I know you love her and I have no idea what she's been through but you and I both know this is a recipe for disaster."

my lover stands on golden sands

"I love you," I said, "And I love my son. But Colette is like a sister to me and she cannot keep it together, not by herself. Please trust me. She is going to be moody and temperamental and she is probably going to ignore you. Please try to make this work, for me."

This was his place. I wasn't going to argue anymore. Plus, whatever she'd been through, it must've been bad. I touched my lips to his, then mumbled, "Okay," I pause, and continue with, "Whatever you need."

and watches the ships that go sailing"

Just as Adrian had said, Colette was over that night. I took to sitting in his room, watching Food Network with Isaac cradled to my chest, eating. We were fine. He was calm. Dozing off, the sleepy head.

Then the door opened.

Adrian stepped in, smiling. I smiled, too. Then she stepped in behind him, and I wasn't smiling anymore.

I wanted to pull my shirt up, because with her in here I suddenly felt uncomfortable. But I just sat there, and avoided looking at her any longer. She looked rough, anyways.

"And this is my room," Adrian said after a moment, turning his head to crinkle his eyes at his cousin. "Oh, Jess, is he asleep?"

I glance down, and nod. He was. Adrian sauntered over, and lifted the infant from my chest. I felt cold without the baby on me. But that was normal.

Cole looked out of place, and her face was scrunched up. I looked at her, and forced a smile, "Hi, Cole."

She didn't say anything- just darted her eyes around the room, her main focus on Adrian, who was tucking a blanket over Isaac, who was now in the cradle.

I pulled my top up, finally, and stood up, "Will you listen for him, babe? I'm gonna go make something to eat."

Adrian nodded, and kissed me on the cheek before I turned and left the room. Once outside of the door, I closed it lightly behind me, and lingered in the hall for a moment-- just to see. Just to see if she'd say anything. Though, I wasn't sure why I cared.

Muffled voices drifted from under the door, and I leaned closer to hear better.

"She didn't even cover anything up, Ade," Cole said in a whisper. "Why is she here again, anyways?"

There was silence, then in a quiet, calm voice, Adrian replied with, "Because she's my girlfriend. And he's my son."

I didn't want to hear anymore. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't letting her...I don't know. Guilt him?

I stalked down the hall, slightly hoping that they could hear my footsteps, and made my way towards the kitchen.

Boy, this was going to be a hell of a stay.

"Next week? Thursday. Yeah, yeah, that works," I sigh into the phone, and glance at the cradle, where Isaac was still asleep-- Adrian had gotten into the shower just before I'd gotten on the phone, "I think 11:30 would work for all of us. All right, then, thanks. See you then, doc."

I'd have to see if Adrian could miss school, or I'd have to go alone. I hated going alone. I also hated pulling him away from school. I leaned back, and rested my eyes for just a moment, and of course, that's when the crying started. Isaac had perfect time. Or bad timing. I wasn't sure which. Maybe both.

I slid out of the bed, and hurried over to his side, hoping to quiet him before he woke anyone up-- I was sure that Colette was asleep. It was kind of late, and from what I'd seen, she always went and laid on the couch around 10.

Now, I didn't like the girl, but I wasn't a bitch. Anymore. Just with one look at the kid, you could tell she'd been through something horrible. I couldn't even imagine what. But I was determined not to push her buttons-- or make her any more miserable than she already was.

I lifted Isaac up, and held him closely as I sauntered out of the room and into the kitchen. Colette was sitting up. Well, fuck.

"Ah, man," I frown, "did he wake you up?"

She seemed transfixed on something, and just as I was going to ask again, she shook her head once.

The girl still hadn't spoken to me since she'd gotten here, and I wasn't taking it personally, but still. I didn't want to have beef with her, anymore than she wanted to live in the same place as me.

"Look," I pause, and pull a pitcher of tea from the fridge, then continue, "I...I don't want to pry. Hell, I don't want to know anything, because it's not my business. But if we're both going to be staying here, even if it's just for a few weeks or so, we can't intentionally avoid each other just because of stupid high school drama."

She didn't say anything, and I was glad for that.

"I don't want to walk all over you and take advantage of the state you're in, either, okay? That's not why I'm approaching you now on this," I fill a glass cup up half way, then put the tea back in the fridge, "I just think you got the wrong idea from what happened with the whole Rupert thing so long ago."

Colette laughed at that, but she didn't sound humored. I walked into the living room, and sat in one of the chairs, propping Isaac up so he could look around.

After taking a sip of my drink, I glanced at her, and started again, "I've known him for forever. Since, like, the fourth grade. We used to be friends, you know? Not good friends, of course, but still. He was kind of a loner. Until girls started noticing him, around the seventh grade? Maybe it was sooner than that. Or later. I don't remember. Anyways-"

She cut me off, suddenly, with a raspy, "I don't care."

Ignoring it, though, I continued, "So it continued like that, all the way up to high school. Girls becoming more interested in his peaks, me falling farther and farther behind the list of people he even remotely acknowledged. Sophomore year, I tried to say hi to him, and he didn't even look at me. I guess braces and braids weren't what he liked."

I glanced at her, and she was looking at me. Just barely. She looked away when she caught my eyes. I kept going, "I was a late bloomer. So after I got my braces off, Junior year, I finally started growing that Summer.

When school started back, I was finally pretty enough for him to notice me. He would smile at me, throw little compliments my way, just small things. Things that I was naive enough to think meant something. At some point, I actually believed we were a thing. He and his friends would come over to my house during school, we'd all hang out, swim, all that. Skip a few parties later, and up came the big one. Or, the big person that finally got his attention. For real."

She must've known that she was coming into the story, because she shifted, and cleared her throat quietly.

"You. I don't know what you did, but it got him. You reeled him in, and I was jealous. After so many years of trying to be good enough, the pretty foreign exchange student that'd been here less than a couple months got his attention and kept it. Weeks passed, and he barely even noticed me, because he was too busy obsessing over you. I didn't know what to do.

I thought he was going to do the same thing he did to me, but when he didn't, I couldn't stand it. That party came, too. The party where...I-I lost my virginity. And then it ended. Another party came, you'd think I'd learned not to go to these things, but I didn't. I was drunk. I remember dancing all up on Rupert. Trying to be good enough for him. And it didn't work, because he was led away by a pretty face, to an even prettier one. You needed him that night. I thought I did. I left in a hurry, got into a car wreck, and-"

I cut myself off this time, because I was out of breath and talking about this always hurt me. Mentally, I mean.

"-and, I lost one of my babies. Because I was drunk driving and I was jealous because you were good enough. After I found out that I was actually pregnant, I was convinced it was Rupert's. I actually believed that we'd had sex that night, the night that I lost my virginity. I was convinced that this was going to tie him to me, make us be inseparable. And then he told me that it wasn't him. That it was Philip. And I just...I couldn't believe it, you know? This Philip guy, he was a tool. He was a player. He was like Rupert, but a lot more shady."

Colette was looking at me again, but I didn't bother looking back.

"The-the point is, Cole...I wasn't a homewrecker. I'm not a homewrecker. I don't want you to hold a grudge against me that isn't yours to hold. You did nothing wrong. I was the guilty one. I was the one who couldn't take the hint."

She didn't say anything to that, and I didn't expect her to.

"I don't expect you to just forgive me, because all the shit that I did was petty and just unacceptable. I don't want us to become best friends, braiding each other's hair and sharing secrets with each other. I just think...that you've got enough on your plate. And I don't deserve to be another nuisance in your life."

The apartment was quiet, and I finally realized that the shower wasn't running. I wondered how long it'd been like that.

I sat up, and held Isaac to my chest, using my free hand to clutch my cup of tea, said, "I'm not bothered by you being here," then left the room, going to find Adrian.

Spoiler! :
God, I'm lazy. Hopefully this makes up for my absence? Also, @Gravity, if I did/said anything wrong, just tell me and I'll fix it, all right?
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

271 Reviews

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:50 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Adrian

I sat down on the bed, momentarily forgetting my towel. I'd heard Jessie speaking to Cole and opened the door to make sure everything was okay, I wasn't expecting what I'd heard.

Isaac had a twin that had died. And Jessie never told me.

Just then, Jessie came in and I snatched the towel up from off the bed, hiding my... extremities. She giggled.

"Adrian, it's nothing I haven't seen before. I mean I haven't seen you... you know but-"

"Why didn't you tell me about the car wreck." I interjected, and really I wasn't even asking a question. I knew why. It was because she was ashamed.

"Oh, you heard that. I was wondering why the shower wasn't running. I'm sorry I just-"

"No Jessie. I understand you were ashamed of yourself and didn't think it was important or whatever else but Isaac is my son and you should've told me." I could feel my face heating up. I wasn't angry, I almost never got angry. I was hurt that she didn't feel she could trust me with this.

"You might want to get dressed," she whispered. She turned around and I put on some boxers and a t shirt.

"Now I'm dressed. Isaac is every bit as much my responsibility as he is yours. Have I ever given you a reason to not trust me?"

"No but I-" I cut her off once more.

"I love you, Jessie, I have never cared that you're a teen mom or that you have a history of partying or even that you and the closest person to me in my life, Colette, don't get along. I do care that you intentionally kept something from me."

"I wasn't ready to tell you, I wish you would understand that."

"Why would you tell Colette first and not me?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"She's obviously going through something right now and I just wanted to try and bridge a gap between us because she means so much to you. I'm trying, Adrian!" Isaac woke up just then and started to cry.

"Great," she huffed, "It took forever to get him to sleep." She started bouncing Isaac softly before sitting down and offering him milk. He just pushed her breast away and kept crying.

I sat down on the bed next to her.

"Somewhere, beyond the sea,
Somewhere, waiting for me.
"

She was singing the song I had taught her, the French song that always calmed Isaac down, only she was singing it in English. I put my arms around her and rested my chin on her shoulder. I felt bad for fighting with her, we never fought.

"I'm sorry," I murmured into her ear and she nestled into me.

"I am too, I don't like fighting." She kissed me after she said this, her lips warm against mine as Isaac began to fall asleep.

Jessie stood up to put Isaac in the cradle and I folded her in my arms, running my fingers through her gorgeous blonde hair.

"I love you," I whispered into her head and she squeezed me tighter. She drew back just then, kissing me. It wasn't as gentle as I expected and she pushed me back on the bed, climbing on my lap.

I shifted uncomfortably as I felt a stirring in my pants.

"We're not going to...?" I asked, pulling back for a minute.

"Not with my son in the room," she giggled, "But I figured we could make out."

"Yeah, well, I kinda have a situation down there. You are straddling me, after all." she blushed and I kissed her cheeks.

"I have something to tell you," I blurted out.

"What is it?" she asked, her face flushed.

"I'm a virgin. And I've never had a girlfriend before now."

"What? Seriously? But you're so... how do I put this. You're damn sexy. And really smart and dependable." She kissed my nose. "You're messing with me right?"

I shook my head, somewhat embarrassed. "No. And I'm not waiting until marriage or anything unless that's your goal but I was waiting for the right girl."

"That's sweet," she said. "Maybe someday soon."

"Okay," I whispered. It was fairly late after that so we got in bed and I cuddled Jessie, feeling impossibly warm under the covers.

"Goodnight," I could hear her smiling as she spoke.

"Goodnight."

Spoiler! :
@GuyFieri

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:16 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Brooke Kestner

Dear Cam,

Day 1 was a success. I managed to not completely get lost in the school, and I even made a new friend. Of course it was the swimming coach, but it still counts...Right?

When Noah and I got home that night he seemed oddly happier than his usual cynical self. I think it was something about “being hopeful for the months to come” or whatever. (FYI this means he either met/saw a girl he liked) I stuck to my part, and rolled my eyes at him like the good sister I am. He needs all the warnings he can get. I don’t feel like being the sister to crazy guy again. I just want to be me.

Noah and I. That's how it's always been. I think it's a twin thing, but we can't help it. We’re like your ordinary siblings, except for some reason it's stronger. We never had the twin telepathy thing or our own secret language, but we did have each other. We had a little bit of difference in a world where we both were labeled as one thing. One thing I’ve learned throughout my busy existence is, a little different is good. Even if it's scary to accept it at first.

In speaking of different, today is my second day at Lincolnwood high. So far it's been okay I guess. I went to swim practice this morning, and I even managed to not get a lot of mean looks. Pretty successful if you ask me. I even made it to lunch without a guy grabbing my ass. Lincolnwood is definitely not my old school.

Well...at this point I don’t have anything left to write so I’m just going to spell out different swim strokes to avoid looking up in the cafeteria right now.

B-R-E-A-S-T-S-T-R-O-K-E

B-U-T-T-E-R-F-L-Y

C-R-A-W-L

...I’ve officially gone insane.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Brooke Kestner?” I look up from my journal to see a really tall guy, with possibly the prettiest eyes I’ve ever seen. I quickly close my journal, and I knock over my water bottle in the process. He slightly chuckles as I stumble to sit it back upright.

Great job Brooke. Great job…

“Yeah that's me.”

“So... you’re the girl that all the swim people are freaking out about?”

“I mean I- I guess. Um can I help you?”

“Oh I’m sorry. I just didn’t expect you to be-”

“Let me guess. Black?” He looks at me blankly with wide eyes. I nearly choke on my words when I realized what I had done. “Oh my god. I’m so sorry I shouldn’t of said that. That's not what you were thinking at all. Is it? Oh my god.I keep forgetting this is not my last school. Ugh I feel so stupid. I'm so sorry. Yeah. Um. Can we please start over? Please?” He looks at me for a good 10 seconds before bursting out laughing.

“Sure. Sounds good.” He bends down towards me, and lowers his voice. “If it makes you feel any better. I’ve seen worse first impressions...Name’s Paul by the way.”

“Thanks... I’m Brooke.” He holds his hand out, and I shake it awkwardly.

“It’s nice to meet you Brooke. I didn’t mean to completely catch you off guard there, but I was curious to meet the famous ‘Junior Olympian’.” He says the last part in an over exaggerated voice, and I don't know whether to be offended or not. I choose to ignore it. “Well I hope you are as good as they say. Our school could use a good win.”

“I’ll do my best.” I say.

“Cool. I’ll see you around. I hope your first week has been okay so far. See ya.” He nods at me and walks off to join what looks like his usual crowd. I sigh, and it takes me everything not to slam my head down onto the table.

Go me…

The bell rings dismissing lunch, and I head to my next class. My parents forced me to take a bunch of advanced classes this year, and the only language class I could fit into my schedule was Advanced French. Dont get me wrong. I love the language. I just am really bad at speaking it. Reading it is great, listening is pretty okay, but speaking it is so so bad.

I walk into the class, and I quickly notice that the only seats available are in the front and back. If I sit in either spot then the class and the teacher will gain a whole new opinion about me before I even open my mouth. Am I overthinking this? Probably not.

At last I find it! An empty seat in the middle of the room with my name all over it. I rush to my new seat next to a boy with really deep brown eyes.

What is it with the guys at this school and their eyes dammit!
I try look away, but it's too late. He noticed. And he is looking at me now.

Shit.

“Es-tu Nouveau?” I look at him. It must be a rule to only speak French in the classroom, and dang is he good at it.

“Oui.” I try to say quietly so he doesn’t my emphasis on the weeee sound.

“vous parlez couramment le français?” He asks.

“Oui.” I say again.

“Comment étaient les classes françaises de votre ancienne école?”

“Il était comme des ânes manger pâtisseries” I try to answer. It comes out all wrong though, and I’m pretty sure I forgot most of my words.

“Like Donkey’s eating pastries?” He asks chuckling. His French accent is very clear now. He is most definitely from there.

“Oh my god. Did I seriously say that?”

I am really off my game today.

“Pretty much. You’ll be fine though. Teachers not to hard on those who have some trouble.” He assures me.

“Thanks…Oh um merci”

“de rien...I'm Adrian.”

“Brooke.” I say.

“Well good luck Brooke.” He nods and turns his attention back to the board.

Good luck to me indeed.

Spoiler! :
@Gravity @Nike Please tell me to change anything I need to.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:12 am
Ciblio says...

Jessie

I woke up to a quiet (empty) bedroom, and the smell of breakfast in my nostrils. Sitting up lazily, I release a yawn and stretch my arms out above my head, feeling the tiny pops of my bones getting comfortable.

I kick my feet over the side of the bed, and slip onto the cold hardwood floor, shivering at the sudden change of temperature of my feet.

Moving slowly, I grab a clean change of clothes, then saunter out of the room and down the hall to the bathroom. It was empty, thankfully, so I shut the door behind me, undressed, turned on both the hot and cold water, then stepped in.

The shower was a peaceful place for me. It erased all of the stress and anger and responsibilities away from my body and mind. Temporarily, of course, but still.

As I lathered my hair with strawberry scented shampoo, I imagined where I'd be in years.

5-year-old Isaac ran in circles around the island in the kitchen, while his mother, 23-year-old Jessie diced up a carrot, along with two cucumbers, a tomato, an onion, and a head of lettuce.

"Mom, momma, look!" The boy laughed, his arms outstretched and his face a mask of joy. "I'm an airplane!"

Jessie smiled with painted red lips, "Oh yeah, hun? Where all do you fly to?"

"Alllll the places! Even the grocery market, and daddy's work!" He exclaimed loudly, twirling once, twice, three times it was, "Hop on my back and I can take you to Paris!"

"Promise?" Jessie laughed, her mind drifting to the time that she bumped into her soul mate in front of a restaurant that meant nothing and everything to her in Paris.

The front door suddenly opened, and in stepped a handsome man in a navy-blue suit, with dark chocolate eyes and a kind smile.

"I'm home!" he announced.

"Oh, great, babe! Just in time to make the flight to Paris," Jessie giggled, and set the knife in the sink before catching Isaac in her arms and walking into the living room, "How was work?"

"Could've been better," 22-year-old Adrian sighs, then grins and leaned forward, far enough to kiss Jessie lightly on the lips. "How did everything go at the doctors?"

Jessie slid her free hand over her protruding stomach, and smiled softly, "Doc said she was nice and healthy, and that she should arrive on the scheduled due date, if not sooner. Here in a few weeks, we'll have a beautiful baby girl in our home."

"That's amazing," Adrian grinned from ear to ear, and kissed her again, before lifting Isaac from Jessie's arms and tossing him in the air, "I missed you, bud!"

As the two played, Jessie thought back on the time she, baby Isaac, Adrian, and poor Colette were staying in the small apartment 5 years ago. Man, had it been awhile. She smiled once more, touched her stomach, and whispered a serene, "You're amazing."

I guess I'd fallen asleep, because when I opened my eyes again, the water was cold, and Isaac was saying my name.

"Jess? Hello? Are you okay?" He called through the door, "I'm coming in."

The door opened suddenly, and I rinsed my hair quickly before shutting the water off and pulling the curtain back slightly.

"Oh. Hi," I laugh shakily, "I kind of fell asleep in the shower."

He laughed at that, before staring silently at me for a few moments. I cleared my throat, and glanced at the stack of towels next to him.

"Care to bring me one of those?" I ask, offering a quirky grin afterwards.

With rosy cheeks, he nodded, grabbed one off the top, then stepped over to where I was, and the only thing keeping us apart was the deep blue shower curtain.

He holds it up, and I release the curtain, causing it to reveal my body slightly. Adrian turns his head quickly, as if to shield himself from my monstrosity of a body, and I quickly wrap the towel around me.

"What? Am I that bad looking?" I tease, and step out of the tub. There was nothing separating us now. Except for our clothes.

He turns towards me, slides his hands over my hips, and says, "That is not at all the case."

I pull him down then, and press my lips to his. We stayed like that for a few minutes, before I pulled away, curious as to where our child was.

"So where's Isaac?" I ask in a mumble, before grabbing my clothes (clean and dirty) and following him out of the hot bathroom and back down the hall to his room.

"Sleeping, in the living room crib," he glanced at me after saying this, as if waiting for me to understand that he was in the living room crib with Colette watching over him while he slept. I blinked at him, then smiled.

"Okay," I say, softly, and drop my towel before quickly slipping into my clothes. He was turned away, anyways, so I didn't really think it mattered anyways if I changed in the same room as him. After disposing of my dirty clothes and the towel in the laundry hamper, I turned back towards him and clicked my tongue against the roof of my mouth, "So, what'd you make for dinner, daddy?"

Spoiler! :
Hey. I know it's been kind of awhile, and this doesn't exactly make up for lost times, but I couldn't think of anything else to write in and I didn't want to put off posting any longer so, well, yeah. @Gravity, if you need me to change anything, just say the word and I'll get right to it!
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

271 Reviews

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:53 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

Colette

After Jessie and Adrian went to bed, I didn't sleep at all. I couldn't help but worry about the trial. What if he dragged it out? What if I had to relive being raped over and over again? My stomach churned and I was about to run for the bathroom until I spotted little Isaac in his crib. His little face was relaxed, his chubby cheeks smoothed by sleep and his eyes shut firmly. He reminded me of me, before I came to Lincoln Wood. When all I wanted more in the world was to get away from my parents and their feelings of French superiority.

I watched him as he slept, remembering my innocence. How did it all get so fucked up? How did it get to this point, the point where I am now broken, trying to put the pieces back together? Everything flashed through my brain. The plane ride here, my first day at Lincoln Wood where I met Collin and so many others. Meeting Hunter, going to Jessie's first starting party and seeing him make out with her. Our first kiss. Then me and Dafnie and Thorne becoming friends and the accident, the horrible accident. I recalled Hunter treating me like a doll and Rupert giving me what I actually needed, life. Then, the first 'I love you' and the first kiss, the time we sat eating ice cream in his favorite ice cream parlor, the one he went to all the time when his mother actually cared about him.

I remembered running off to Paris, getting the surgery that changed my life, the surgery that almost ended my life. Rupert running off to see me and tell me he loved me and us having sex for the first time. How wonderful that was to experience. Then Adrian, who was like my brother, coming to the states with me. Then was prom, the swirling dresses and the laughter, the smiles with Dafnie and Thorne in the mall as we shopped for dresses and then me and Rupert in the hotel afterward. Jessie's baby being born and then the first time I was...

I remembered all of this, I must've sat there for hours, turning the memories over in my mind as I gazed at his pure, innocent face. Remembering the good and the bad. There was a lot of heartbreak, sure. But I had people who cared about me.

As I remembered, I thought about Jessie. Jessie was the one person who was at the center of everything. She had made out with Hunter at that party, she had been rude to me and so had all her friends which led to me meeting Thorne and then Dafnie. She had been seducing Rupert after I got in the accident which in the end just made him feel the pull to me even more. Then she got pregnant and everything changed. She was dating my cousin, the cousin who had always been there for me and always would be there for me. She was the one who went with him to prom, she had her baby the night I was raped for the first time. At the center of everything was Jessie. As I thought about this, I realized that I wouldn't have been who I was that day without her. Had she not made the choices she made, I wouldn't have been sitting there next to that beautiful baby boy, my cousin wouldn't be in his own apartment and he wouldn't be in love with her. For all I know, without Isaac, Adrian could've gone back to Paris.

In the end, whether Jessie knew it or not, she was the one I had to thank for who I was that day. The reason I had my cousin and the reason I knew Rupert and I had a bond that was unbreakable. Adrian and Rupert were my sanity and in a strange way, I had Jessie to thank for it.

Jessie walked out of Adrian's room, her hair wet and her pajamas on. I numbly stood up, my bones heavy with exhaustion as I wrapped my arms around her. She stiffened, unsure of what to do as I buried my face in her blonde hair.

"Thank you," I whispered, "Thank you."

Spoiler! :
@GuyFieri

267 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:31 am
Nike says...

Dafnie Serena Leto

Rupert had told me that Colette was staying at Adrian's That was the safest place I could see her at, so I was relieved. The only part that really bugged me is Rupert. He really wanted her, but he gave her the space she needed. He was the best boyfriend that she deserved.

And then there was me. I can confirm that I am a pretty good friend who has fucked up a lot... but I'm still alive and people still love me. Surprising, I know. And recently, I did something that people were sure caught up on. They must have predicted it. But I didn't know what to do afterward.

I've slept with people before. It either had a good or a bad effect.

This one could be a bad one.

Because I slept with Paul.

Out of all the people in this God forsaken world.

My best friend.

"Hey, earth to Dafnie! You there?" Philip asked me as we walked down the school hallway.

"Yeah, sadly." I huffed under my breath.

He had cut his hair, a small but noticeable trim. It made me seem more clean than usual. Well, then again, he was a pulled together guy. I pulled my backpack strap higher on my shoulder and kept walking, eyeing my classroom to the left. Fifth period meant Physics, something I wasn't too excited for. Or, at all.

One, terrible at it.

Two, Paul was there.

And he wasn't the best of friends with Philip.

"Are you still thinking about...?" he didn't have to finish, I nodded in reply.

The hallway was emptying out as the rest of the students found their way to their classes. The sound of laughing and yelling rushed away as they escaped to their designated spots. Or not designated. Some ditched school, I used to be that.

"Dude, why don't you just talk to him?"

"Nope, I can't."

"Why not? It's not like he's even seeing anyone."

"But he was... and that girl really hates me." I looked at him, stopping in my tracks. He stopped too and met my eyes. "She's gonna see that she was right, that we were into each other and that he was a waste of her time and feelings which isn't true. He really loved her and I was the one who was fucking everything up. She doesn't deserve to see that. What happened happened, that's it."

He shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "You know I'm dating that girl, right?" his converse seemed more interesting to me than meeting his anger twisted face.

"I know." I huffed.

"I can't pretend that I don't know anymore. She deserves to know Daffy,"

"I know," and I sighed, looking back up at his blue eyes. His eyebrows drooped as a smile pinched his cheeks. I caught a sigh escape his mouth.

"Let's get to class, shall we?" I smiled back.

"Talk to him, okay?"

"Right," I nodded.

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:17 pm
TheForgottenKing says...

Sebastian

There it was. Lincoln Wood. The school of dreams. Where today's leading people where created. One of the top ten illustrious schools in the United States. And my new school. I hit the gas on my Harley in order to reach the parking lot before a blue BMW. The guy inside flipped me off, which I returned happily, before pulling into a parking spot. I turned off my bike a removed my sunglasses, watching as the herd of teens began making their way to their classes.

I picked up my backpack and made my way to the principals office. I waited patiently as the secretary finished up typing a report or something, than turned to me." Why hello Hun. Is there something I can help you with?" I cleared my throat." Um, I believe I have a meeting with Principal Smith?" She tapped on her keyboard." Can I have a name sweetie?"

"Trapani."

And there it was. That look. Whenever anyone heard it, I got that look. The one that either said, you poor child, or this ones trouble. She cleared her throat before speaking." Yes well, Principal Smith will be with you momentarily. As will the coach. Please take a seat." She squeaked as she got up. I placed my bag on the floor as the student aide watched me curiously.

Soon enough a man in gym pants entered the office, glanced at me, than ventured deeper into the office. A minute later the secretary returned and spoke." They're waiting for you darling. Third room on your right." I nodded my thanks as I got up and went in that direction. I knocked on the door before entering the room. "Um, Mrs. Smith? Coach Meyers?"

Immediately the adults looked up at me and gave me a smile. Both genuine as far as I could tell." Please please, have a seat Sebastian." Coach Meyers said, indicating a chair. I silently sat down and glanced at the two." Well, I'd love to personally welcome you to Lincoln Wood, and congratulate you as well, on becoming a member of our lacrosse team." Principal Smith said. I glanced at the coach, who I had met with a couple times previously." It'll take some time, but the boys will get used to you as their new captain." He said, tossing me my jersey." I mean, freshman year you were already dominating the Varsity teams. We get you for Junior and hopefully your senior season. You've got the talent to become the best player this team has ever seen." I smiled." I only hope I can back up what you've heard about me coach."

Mrs. Smith cleared her throat." I would also ask you to thank your father for the school. It is a great blessing to have such a prestigious man become a Sponsor for our school. Our other sponsors would be happy to have him start attending our school meetings." I inclined my head as she spoke. Coach Meyers cleared his throat." Well, practice starts next month, but the boys always meet after school to work out in the gym, and I'd love for you to join them. Room A11." I shook his hand as he left the room." Well Sebastian, I have your schedule here, and I must say, it's very admirable that you're taking these AP classes. I hope you can keep up with it if your doing lacrosse as well." Smith said. I smiled at her." Don't worry ma'am, I'll keep up with everything."

Surprisingly the day went by fast and before I knew it, I was in front of room A11. I could hear the clank of metal and the annoyed shouts of other guys. Steeling myself I entered the room, and came face to face with my new team mates. They all paused what they were doing to stare at me. I blinked a couple times before letting out a smile." The names Bash, and I'm here to get to know you guys." There was a pause of silence before another guy stepped forward. Tall, dark hair, lean body. Your average Greek god. He glanced me up and down before his face split into a grin.

"You must be Sebastian. Meyers talked up a storm about you. The Freshman wonder? Varsity your first year? Hope your going to bring your A-game boy. We don't do anything half ass here." He approached with an offered hand." The name is Luke, I'll be your co-captain. And we don't have hard feelings here. Whatever gets us the win, we'll be there for. I play middie." He gestured to the other boys, introducing them.

"That's Chewy, he obviously places defender, Silverfoot, our goalie, the Dukes, our defenders( triplets, makes you feel sorry for their mother.) Me. Lewis and Clark here, really Ashton and Quinn, but who cares? And this is Edward, he's a back up middie. The rest of the guys aren't here yet."

Luke turned to me." You'd better be as good as coach says you are, or else we'll let Chewy sit on you, and that's something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy." I let out a laugh at that as Luke grinned." We're finishing up our sets, than we've got a mile run. Care to join us?" I sat down my bag and smiled." I'd love to." Maybe this year wouldn't go as bad as I thought it would.

Soon after the run, the boys were admiring my Harley." Not many people ride bikes, and the ones that do have their heads up their asses. But this is a damn fine bike." Adam Duke said. His brothers all nodded in agreement as they eventually wondered off with the rest of the team. Luke stayed behind to talk.

"Listen man, really hope you help the team out. We've been doing good the past few years, and we want to keep bringing back the gold. We're the main sport here at Lincoln. Our football team is okay, but they don't really rack up the wins. So it's up to us to get the credit Lincoln deserves. Just don't tell the football goons I said that. They don't like they're sport trashed." I smirked. "Football is for pansies. Lacrosse is so much more physical." He laughed." You'll do all right here man. And the ladies? They love nothing more than a hot sweaty lacrosse player after a win." He winked at me before turning away." Well, see ya tommorow."

I grinned as I got on my bike. Today had gone by fine. Maybe everything would be all right after all?
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers