Young Writers Society

The Room

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Lorrin

Walking away from the human … I should name it. Indeed. Though I can’t get over his reaction to seeing me. Fear, shock, disgust. Seeing those emotions run through his eyes, even across his face, hurt. I don’t understand why. That other human looking creature, though he didn’t smell like a human, gave me a good excuse to leave.
But then … he does need a name. Hmm … the word weak in my native language is ladarii. Yes, that’s what I’ll call him. Ladarii. Right, where was I? Yes, then Ladarii came over to confront me and ask me to be his friend?! Couldn’t he see the hurt in my eyes? Could he see that his reaction to my face had offended me?
Sighing, I pick up a dish and inspect it as I think. What else would I have expected from a human? Even if they’re not Rakshan, they still look at me like I’m a freak. Maybe I am. Snake-Children should just stick together. Over the thousands of years since Narianess the Great, the first Rakshan to traverse the whole planet and introduce everyone, opening up the Trade Route, and changing civilisation permanently, humans have still regarded the other races with contempt and disgust.
The dish I’m holding isn’t poisoned, though I know there is an element in it that might be deadly to another creature. As I eat, sitting in the corner, I watch the creatures. The humans are swarming a large cooked bird. I think the word ‘turkey’ was yelled out. I can’t be too sure with these humans.
Once again, Ladarii walks over to me. There’s something about him that clashes with my personality. Maybe it’s the lack of fear, and the way we both stand tall, even when someone is talking down to us, no matter the situation. There are many qualities about Ladarii I like, for example the no fear thing. But he’s a human. How can I be friends with a human?
“Back for round three?” I hiss.
He shakes his head in wonder and sits down beside me. His eyes are a little red and misty as though he’d been crying. I give him a curious look before picking at my dish. It’s a small platter of seafood. Some of the dead things on my plate aren’t Rakshan, but they taste divine.
“What are you eating?” He asks.
“Seafood,” I study something that tastes like squid, though I’d say it’s been marinated in something. “Try some.” I hold the half eaten ring out to Ladarii to try.
He looks at me like I’m crazy. “Um … you just bit that,” he says, regarding the food with a cold gaze.
I roll my eyes. “Want to be my friend? You have to trust me,” I say. He looks about ready to say something, so I start talking again. “I know that’s difficult to do … and yes, asking you to trust me is a big feat. But … I’ll tell you something about myself. Where I’m from, humans hate my kind. I’m used to being scorned at, racist comments hurtled my way. I’m used to looks of fear, disgust and contempt plain on the humans that walk passed me. That’s why I wear the hood all the time. So you can see why I don’t trust you. I know in saying it’s because you’re a human is racist, but Ladarii, to get my trust, you need to trust me.”
He stares at me for a long time before taking the food from my hand and eating it, a very sceptical expression on his face. But as he eats, I can see he enjoys the taste of the seafood. I continue to eat, watching him out of the corner of my eye. It must be my fangs. Snake fangs are … well sometimes they’re larger than normal. And unlucky me, I was born with large fangs. I do love my fangs, though, and it makes me happier to know that they’re bigger than my brother’s. Who is five years my senior mind you.
“You called me La … um … what did you call me before?” Ladarii tilts his head to the side.
I find myself slightly ashamed for the name now. “Ladarii. It’s a word in my native tongue,” I explain. “I didn’t know your name. What is it, by the way?”
“Gunnar,” he holds out his hand to me, like that other man had done. A curious thing, these humans do.
I stare at his hand, not sure what to do with it. “I’m Lorrin. Um … may I ask a question, Gunnar?” I look at him and smile.
He nods, retracting his hand. “Go for it,” he says.
“Why do you humans hold your hands out like that when introducing yourself?” I can’t help the amused smile that spreads across my face as he stares at me in shock.
“You don’t know? Aliens are so weird,” he shakes his head. “You’re supposed to shake it.”
“I’m not an alien!” I bite out. “I’m a …” I swallow, unaccustomed to the level of hurt the word caused. “So you shake the hand?” I say instead of continuing what I was going to say.
He nods, holding it out to me. I grab it and he shakes my hand up and down. He has warm hands, the skin rough and callused. My guess is that he knows a full day of hard work. In fact, a lifetime of hard work. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a skilled fighter. He stares down at my hand and smiles.
“What?” I ask.
“I had a feeling you were a good fighter,” he says with amusement.
I smirk. “I’d demonstrate my skill with my scimitars, but I don’t want to scare the other humans,” he chuckles with me. “Now, would you like to help me find the way out …” I feel like saying “friend” but that’d be offensive to him. The way he said the word before made it clear to me. “Gunnar?”
He nods. “Finish your food first. You need to keep up your strength,” he indicates the dish still half eaten in my lap.
“What are you, my mother?” I growl, and he laughs. I find myself chuckling. “Eh, I can last a while on a half-full stomach. Living on the streets does that.”
We share a knowing smile and stand up. “Where to look first?” Gunnar asks.
“The most unexpected place of all! The roof!” I exclaim.
Gunnar shakes his head. “Fine, the roof it is,” he mutters.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:23 pm
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

Gunnar the Great

She was strange. More than that. The thought of me eating the piece of food she ate just sent my very being trembling. Who knows what off world bacteria was in her saliva and I shared her food. The roof of my mouth was rough and my tongue couldn't quite adjust to sharing. Maybe it was me over reacting, but I swear that squid tasted different. Not quite right.

Also, explaining the whole "computerized" and "hand shake" made me feel like a complete freak—the way she stared at my hand made me ... uncomfortable. Usually, I didn't have to explain myself. But everything was "what's this mean?", "why are you doing that?" and her eyes said, "You're such a peculiar creature." Creature. I didn't like that.

Yet the way she explained how she was treated on her home world said it all. All the snarling and hissing. That grudge against humans wasn't going to go easily. Good job I was tough. Her offensive term "La-whatever" didn't really effect me. It just made me curious. And what the hell did it mean?

What I wanted to know was the way out. I had to get out. My club wasn't going to run itself. Thinking about it made my skin crawl. Japanese thugs weren't the best of people. Especially since most were thieves. The place might have been stripped bare. All my money. Gone. My life would have to be started from scratch. Again.

Now we were staring up at the ceiling, looking into a void of nothingness. We must have looked like a right pair of idiots, out heads going up as far as they could go. The whiteness sudden begun shifting, a patch in the center molding into a hatchway.

"What the..."

"An exit!" cried Lorrin, a smile creeping up her face. Two white fangs pressed into her bottom lip as she did so, and I couldn't help staring. She was nothing like I'd ever seen.

My head swinging left and right, I looked through the crowds, seeking out a taller looking "person". One "man" with deep, green sea weed-like hair stood out from a cluster and yet another — it was the guy named Jay from earlier — looked quite tall. Why couldn't there be a giant here or ladders?

"It's high up, Lorrin," I told her, scratching my head in frustration. "Jeez. Why does every damn thing have to be hard? They could have at least make it easy for us."

Lorrin looked at me sideways, giving me an excruciatingly annoying stare. Maybe the sarcasm wasn't clear. "They made it hard for—"

"I know. I know!" I grumbled, and began biting my lip. My fuse was short, I couldn't be bothered explaining. So far, no fighting. Nothing that would suit me just fine. No. Whoever controlled "The Room" just had to give me challenges that I had no freaking clue about. Like poisoned food. Everyone knew how to poison someone. But how to know it is poisoned... that's another story.

"Why not talk to some others?" I ask, tentatively. "Maybe we could get some help." I had to choose my words carefully. If I blurted out I was recruiting, she'd be the one with a blown fuse. When you recruit, you only do it for so long. Then you toss 'em out like last week's garbage.

"Why?" she questioned, folding her arms across her chest. "Isn't the two of us just fine?"

"Look, love... I've got nothing wrong with "the two of us". But how are we going to climb—" I pointed to the ceiling, "up there? Unless you've got some wings sprouting from your back, then fine. Go for it."

She hissed at me a little, knowing I was right. "Fine. Let's go talk."

Smiling smugly at her, I grabbed her arm and dragged her off into the crowds. The search was on.
Before you judge me...
Make sure you're perfect.

"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”
― Mark Twain

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:26 pm
View Likes
elysian says...

Aileen - Healing Powers - Human

The light blinded me and my vision took a minute to adjust. A computerized voice came on basically telling me I was going to die. I know my powers will come in handy, but not for everything.

"Hello, would you mind telling me where we are?" A man, at least I was guessing, asked me. He had brown shaggy hair and two different colored eyes, one being green, one being yellow.

"You missed computer explaining all that?" I asked, slightly irritated. I breathed in and out, and reminded myself to be calm.

"Well you didn't miss much, we're in an artificially created room. All your information is stored in a bracelet on your right wrist, and there's no way we're going back home anytime soon." He nodded, his expression thoughtful. When he became aware of my presence he looked down at me and smiled.

"Thank you for the information Ms?" his eyebrow rose.

"Aileen"

"Ms Aileen. I guess we'll be seeing each other soon." He smiled again and I nodded. He turned away and so did I, ready to eat something.

I sniffed the food, thanking my heightened senses. I was about to take a bite when someone crumpled to the floor. I closed my eyes, knowing I wouldn't be able to let him die.

I drank some of the water that the computer voice said was clean, and then started towards the man on the ground.

He was breathing heavy, but the breathes where coming slower and lighter. "Calm down, it's okay." I said in a serene voice.

I calmly touch his stomach and he relaxed easily, he was almost gone though. So I thought hard, with everything I had.

heal.

I concentrated. I felt his pulse getting stronger, his skin was not so pale, and his breathing easy.

I slumped over, my energy was gone. I left the man on the ground, healed.

I sat on the floor head in my hands. "Um...Hey." A rough male voice said over me. I looked up, seeing a very good looking man with near white hair along with a very particular women with dark eyes.

"Why her?" The woman hissed. The man glared at her.

"Hey, uh, what did you do to that guy?" He jerked his head to the man now sitting up, a shocked look on his face.

I sighed. "I healed him. I have powers. There." Be calm Aileen...

"But how?"

I stood up, still smaller than the man. "I'm Aileen, you?" I held my hand out.

He looked at my hand. "Gunnar."

"What? You have a problem with shaking people's hands?" I stuck my hand out again.

He sighed a shook my hand. "There." His face changed as he felt my touch. "What the?"

"I have a calming touch, yes?" I smiled a little.

"You're one strange girl..." He replied.

"Gunnar." The woman spoke for the first time.

"Ah yes," He looked back at me, his blue eyes sparkled. "Will you come with us?"

For some reason, against my better instinct, I nodded.
Last edited by elysian on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

24 Reviews

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:51 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Lorrin

I glare the back of Gunnar’s head as he and Aileen look at the door in the roof. That girl looks like she couldn’t even lift one of the chairs, let alone help us get to the roof! But there isn’t anything I can do. I have to trust Gunnar. I guess.
“How do we get up there?” Aileen asks.
“I don’t know, I was hoping you’d have an idea,” Gunnar scratches the back of his head and turns to face me. “Lorrin?”
“How long do we have left?” I ask him.
“Er … probably quite a few hours, I don’t think it’s been that long,” he shrugs and looks at Aileen, who nods.
My eyes narrow at the roof, and then the table. “When living on the streets,” I begin, walking over to the table to stare at all the plates and trays and metal stands displaying pretty little cakes and other tid-bits, “you must always look for your way out.”
“Yes, that’s what we’ve done. Now we need to get out,” Gunnar snaps.
I give him an almighty glare over my shoulder, but he doesn’t seem fazed. “Yes, I know that,” I retort just as sharply. “I’m going to tell you what I’m doing just in case there is a time when I can’t, so you can learn how to escape places like this.”
“I’m not incompetent,” Gunnar growls, and then visibly tries to calm himself.
Lorrin, be nice. “I know that, I’d never say you are, seipimi’a,” I smile sweetly at him, and he stares at me suspiciously. “I’m just telling you what I do because it’ll make me feel better.”
“Alright, whatever … wait,” he watches me closely. “What did you call me just then?”
“Silly in my language,” I wink and turn back to the table. I jump onto the top and berate myself. Too nice, Lorrin. Don’t let him think just because he’s being nice you’ll be his best bud! “I think if we clear a space and start stacking things on the table …”
I start moving stuff out of the way on top of the table and Gunnar starts chuckling. I ignore him and when a metal stand gets on my nerves I kick it hard. The cakes go flying everywhere and the metal clashes into the wall, a glitch running across the surface. Cries of surprise and anger resonate through the room. Gunnar laughs.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” A male voice growls.
“Shut up, I’m working something out!” I retort, my eyes looking at the empty space presenting itself to me. “Gunnar, could you please pass up a few chairs?”
Gunnar places two chairs on the table and I place them beside each other. Gunnar puts more chairs on the table and I stack them on top of the other two chairs.
“That won’t work,” someone says. It’s a girl with light brown hair and looks around my height. “The chairs won’t support anyone’s weight.”
I mutter words under my breath in my native language before answering her. “Please everyone, don’t speak and just let me do what I’m doing,” I throw over my shoulder as I stack more chairs. “Gunnar, I need two more.”
“How the hell are you going to get them up there?” He asks as he gives me two more chairs.
I’ve been standing on the chairs each set I add onto the stack. There will be just enough space for me to stand and reach the roof. I grab one chair and haul it up, hoping gravity isn’t against me today.
“Now, I’m going to see if the door opens any other way than it’s supposed to,” I shout down to everyone. “Why am I doing this?”
‘Cause you’re an idiot, Lorrin? I shake my head and climb to the very top. The stack wobbles as I balance myself and slowly stand up. I push on the door and it flips open. I cry out in joy just as I can feel the chairs give way. With a yelp I leap up and grab the edge of the opening as the pile topples away.
“Lorrin!” Gunnar yells out. “Are you alright?”
“Yep!” I call down, though it comes out more as a squeak.
Lifting myself with my arms, I wriggle onto the roof to find a ladder lying on a red-carpeted floor. I stare around in shock to find that I’m now in a large room that resembles the ballroom in the Shae’Lian castle. Though I know it isn’t because this place looks fancier and smells funny.
“Lorrin!” I hear Gunnar yelling at me.
I throw the ladder down. “There’s another room!” I call down, a perplexed expression on my face.
“What?” Everyone barks at the same time.
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:43 pm
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Morn

He drifted into a deep quiet sleep. The haze of pain and guilt fell away as if it had been nothing but an illusion. Morn slowly relaxed, it would be over soon, all the grief, all the anguish and hatred, all gone. Perhaps he could begin a new life, perhaps he could fix all his mistakes and settle into the comforting routine of a nine to five job. This thought made Morn smile. For now, he was content, for now, he was happy.

Yet, something was off, the blackness was changing, morphing into a somewhat familiar scene. Morn now stood on a slab of dirt so sun backed that it had been bleached white. Huge cracks ran through the earth and the sun glared down at him like a vengeful eye, intending to burn him till he was nothing but a husk. Morn, confused, took a step forwards. What was this place? He reached to his back where his sniper usually sat yet found nothing, panicked, Morn reached for the pistol he kept at his waist, and again found nothing. Defenseless, Morn crouched. There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Then the pain hit, a blinding agony ran through his veins, burning everything in it's path. Morn fell screaming to the ground, so many thoughts flashed through his head. Morn saw his wife screaming at him with her hands tied yet he could hardly begin to cry before the scene shifted to the banquet, where all those things sat, devouring the food, he saw himself stuffing toxins into his face, he felt the rage against the ones who sat conversing, like this was nothing more than a game.

Morn screamed again, this time in anger, yet the scream did not emanate from within him, it came from somewhere outside, somewhere beyond this wretched prison.

Morn awoke screaming, the few people who stood around him jumped back in surprise. Morn, without knowing how, felt himself move, felt himself slide through the wall separating him from her, felt himself raise his fist towards the woman with dark hair, the woman who had saved him. He was two steps away before she noticed, what she saw was the Archangel, flying towards her, one fist raised.
Last edited by StupidSoup on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

254 Reviews

Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:26 pm
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

Gunnar the Great

My hands grasped the first rung of the ladder, a scowl pressed upon my lips. Why couldn't we just walk through a door? It's not like I was scared of heights, I just couldn't be bothered with all the crap. Some people would have their hearts set on getting through each "trial", but I just wanted to go flipping home. If you could call that dump back at Japan a "home". Though I had built it up from nothing, I'd sell it just to make some money. But it wouldn't make me much of a profit. After all... A dump is a dump.

As I clambered up, I gave Aileen a quick glance, flashing a brief, half-hearted smile. I wasn't one to suck up to people, but if I got injured... well, she'd fix me up with a touch of her hand. A gift like that is useful in so many situations. Not that I'd get hurt just to see how it works—but I wouldn't refuse if I actually did get injured. And I wasn't going to let that happen. Lay your hands on me and I'd strangle you good.

"Lorrin. Hey! What's it like up there?" I shouted, trying to build up speed. Perspiration gathered in the creases of my palms and I could feel my hope rising. A way out? An actual way out of this hell hole?

Voices raised and I heard the sound of fighting—squabbling even. As I looked down, I saw a swarm of people, arms pushing and pulling, trying to be first to climb up. Sheer delight crept up inside of me. Almost like back home, I thought with a grin. Put people (and aliens) in a room and they'd still fight to save their own skin. I felt like a bit of a hypocrite thinking it. But at least I covered my tracks. Not like everyone else.

"It's ... like a palace," Lorrin bellowed back, a tint of amazement flooding into her voice. Gritting my teeth, I cursed mentally. Not a way out. Another damn room.

The opening was now a mere meter away and my hands automatically reached for the next rung. Soon, I was stretching to grip the side, pulling my body up and over. When I looked up from my awkward position, Lorrin was gazing around. She didn't notice me until I stood up and brushed myself off. And damn!, was that place fine.

"I could used to this," I said with a smirk. Something glimmered in her eye, but instead of smiling, she turned away.

Aileen was soon clambering and pulling herself up. Naturally, I'd ignore someone in need, but seeing as I was "playing nice", I outstretched my arm to give her my hand. Instead, she refused with a small shake of her head. I felt slightly annoyed that I had actually tried to be helpful and was rejected. Over my shoulder, I saw Lorrin chuckling.

"Woah, look at this place," I heard Aileen say as I turned to see an almighty staircase. It looked like it could reach the heavens themselves. But as I peered upwards, I saw a brief hallway and then a blocked up wall. Damn Computer.

"We need to find a way out," Lorrin muttered, probably feeling as annoyed and desperate as I was. But unlike me, she refused to hide her annoyance.

Sidling up to her, I wrapped an arm around her shoulder and teased, "Why not stay for a little while? I bet we'll never see anything like this again." She pulled away almost immediately, irritated. But I just laughed. Winding people—or aliens—up made my day. And this day was a day in hell.

"Don't do that again, seipimi’a," she snapped. That word again. The fact that I didn't understand her stupid word frustrated me. I couldn't help but say something back.

"Orokana chikyū-gai," I murmured under my breath. Hopefully Aileen didn't know Japanese. Didn't want her think I wasn't a gentleman.

Lorrin must have had super sensitive hearing as she gave me a large hiss. My reply was a large lopsided grin. Oh, how I loved to cause trouble. The tension fogged all around, thick. I glanced away, taking in the surroundings. The voices grew louder and I dreaded the thought of more people piling in, taking up space. Sometimes I hated large crowds. They got in my way.

"We should look around for a way out," said Aileen, breaking the ice. A sigh of relief was all I needed right now. But it wasn't particularly my style.

"A good idea," I replied and faced Lorrin, a cheeky beam on my lips. "Right, sweetheart?"
Before you judge me...

― Mark Twain

24 Reviews

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Lorrin
This room ... it’s something from a dream! It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen! Dentae would describe the castles he’d go through on his travels. I love how his eyes would light up as he’d describe the scenes. Beautiful women in fine, silky dresses giggling and battering their lashes at the handsome Lords and Lordlings, hoping to pull a lasting gaze. The music, soft and gentle, pulling you to the space in the centre of the room. The food, so delicious, almost as though your tastebuds could melt! Yet, every time Dentae described the castles and ballrooms, there was this look in his eye. He enjoyed the view ... but he hated it all.
The sound of hands scrubbing at clothes makes me spin around. Gunnar is brushing himself off, looking around the room in naked awe. I try to hold back a snigger. He tries so hard to hide his emotions. I have to hand it to him, he does a brilliant job. It just annoys me when he tries to act like he’s above me. As far as I’m concerned, we’re equals. I guess.
“I could get used to this place,” he says with a smirk.
It finally clicks. He reminds me of my brother! I find myself staring at him with something disgustingly akin to fondness, and quickly look away when he turns his smirk to me. I walk away a few steps to get a better view of my surroundings. From the corner of my eye I watch Gunnar extend a helping hand to Aileen as she climbs up from the floor, but she shakes her head. The expression on his face is priceless! I can’t help chuckling.
“Whoa, look at this place,” Aileen gasps as she looks around.
I find my throat tighten. It really does remind me of the ballroom in Shae’Lian. Only I know it isn’t a copy because Shae’Lian royalty just adore the light. There would be chandeliers burning with light, white drapes along the walls where the children would hide and gossip. The walls aren’t the same rich brown colour, and the carpets should be thicker and paler. This room is seductive, and oozes style and snobbiness.
“We need to find a way out,” I mutter. “Before I lose my mind,” I add under my breath.
A warm arm wraps around my shoulder and I slick voice brushes against my ear. “Why not stay for a little while? I bet we’ll never see anything like this again,” Gunnar teases.
My surprise makes me pull away from him. The one thing I can’t tolerate: humans touching me in any other way except to punch or kick me. “Don’t do that again seipimi’a,” I snap. The next time he lays a hand on me I’m going to bite out his throat. My fangs are itching for the contact.
“Orokana chukyu-gai,” he murmurs.
I glare at him and let a savage hiss rip through my throat. I have no idea what he said to me, and that scares me. No, not scares me. Worries me. And the huge grin that spreads across his face increases my worry.
“We should look around for a way out,” Aileen says after a while, as the rest of the creatures climb up onto the floor.
“A good idea,” Gunnar boldly turns to me, a cheeky expression on his face. “Right, sweetheart?”
A shiver runs down my spine. He’s taken it too far. I don’t know what kind of place he’s from, but where I’m from, endearments are given to lovers or spouses only. There is absolutely no way he will ever be anything more than the human I have to team up with! I need to pull this guy in line.
Everyone begins exploring the room. The stairs lead to a balcony around the room, and I take my opportunity. I grab Gunnar’s wrist and give him a sickly sweet smile. Which he returns with malice. I narrow my eyes and give Aileen a look that makes her take a step back.
“Gunnar and I will check up the stairs, ok?” I say in a voice I expect to be obeyed.
She nods mutely, and I drag Gunnar to the staircase. He struggles and frees himself as we walk up the stairs. Or more like I leap up the stairs while Gunnar laughs and takes them three at a time. When we reach the top I grab Gunnar by the shirt collar and slam him into the wall. He growls and stares at me with a burning hatred in his eyes as I bore my dark eyes on his.
“Lorrin, dear, now is not the appropriate time for –“
“Shut up,” I cut off his jibe with a frantic hiss. He pushes against me and the blades in my wrists slide out, pressing into his neck. Gunnar’s eyes widen in complete shock and he tries to look down at them. “Don’t you dare move. I don’t care what the computer thing said about not killing others, if you don’t listen to me right now I will slit your throat,” I snarl.
Gunnar watches me and I can see how difficult it is for him to calm himself. Finally he nods slowly. “Alright, what?” He bites out.
“Look, I don’t care if you find enjoyment out of riling me up. Go for your life. Just do not talk to me like I’m your lover. I am not, and never will be. Do you understand?” I growl. He stares at me like I’ve gone mad. Maybe I have. “I said, do I make myself clear?”
“Crystal, de – Lorrin,” he gives me a sarcastic smile.
The blades retract and I take a few steps away from him. Gunnar watches me and then bursts out laughing. “Qulaketevala rivseiletomida!” I shout at him. “Italarapiu lelakiric!”
“What ... did you just say?” He asks between chuckles.
I grit my teeth. “Ete letorada ishda Jatousei seidacu atola zito ledafen!” I spit at him.
“Lorrin, English please!” Gunnar sounds serious, even though his eyes are twinkling with amusement.
My glare fades, and I smile wide at him. He visibly relaxes, and it irritates me that he isn’t afraid of me. Then again, he hasn’t seen a Snake-Child before. So he’s just ignorant. I let a small bark of laughter escape my lips as I turn to walk away.
“I hope the Gods send you to hell,” I translate for him over my shoulder, walking away.
I wish I could have seen his face!
Last edited by Basil on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of course I am.
Why?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 am
View Likes
Ciblio says...

Hazel

Spoiler! :
Hue. Hazel logic. Don't ask-I've got a lot going through my mind.
ooohh~ a lot of Hazel-thoughts in here :3
I'm gonna be making my posts a lot more thoughtful, with bigger words, and also EXCITING LANGUAGES WHOO
Anyways, that Gill dude isn't anybody's character, he's actually this OC dude my sister made up, and I decided, "Eh, what the heck?" And threw him in. Don't worry, he won't be mentioned a lot...but, if you want, feel free to include him in your post. :D

Hazel watched as all of the people- wait, no scratch that. As all of the species pushed, shoved, and/or fought their ways to the ladder to climb up. She didn't like being confined in small spaces, or being in a crowd, so she simply hung back, waiting for everyone to go up.

Of course, she didn't just wait. She thought. Processed. Cogitated. Though, she didn't understand.

How any of this was possible, were they transported here? Were these actually creatures around her? If so, then that would mean that there's other planets out there with life, biologically, Earth is the only said planet to having living species living on it, but this? This could change everything. These creatures could even be from different galaxies. Or- which this is unlikely- they're all from Earth, from parts that have yet to be explored, but that wouldn't make much sense...

Hazel's eyes hardened, and she stared at the rippling of the wall, letting everything play out in her mind. She ran through what she'd done before she went to bed, and even tried to remember being possibly removed from her house. But, she was a heavy sleeper, so if she was moved by somebody, then she wouldn't have known, or woken up.

Her mind wandered to the "other room", thinking about what it would be like, where the door would be, because obviously this had to be some kind of test. How stupid did whoever is managing this think we would be? Er, most of us? Maybe some of the others were really stupid, and didn't process things like humans. Or, maybe some of them were extremely intelligent, and could even out-smart Hazel. At the thought of that, she recoiled, unable to stop an non-approving look that spread across her face like a wildfire.

As she glanced around the room, she saw there were only a few more people waiting to climb up. Making a face to herself, she walks over to the tables, and examined the food carefully. A small, silver plate sat in the top right corner of the table, and she bends over to it, staring intently, thoughtfully.

After deciding that it wasn't contaminated, she smiled, satisfied with herself, then picked the plate up.

She'd never had the food before, but as she sat down in a chair, a voice emerged from behind her, stopping her from proceeding, "I wouldn't eat that."

Hazel glares, and snaps her head towards the voice. Oh. Luke. How could she not tell from the voice? Maybe she was thinking too much. "And why not?"

There's a soft chuckle, and he walks around her, taking a seat next to her. "Aconite. Also known as wolfsbane, aconite leaves only one post-mortem sign, that of asphyxia, as it causes arrhythmic heart function which leads to suffocation. Poisoning can occur even after-"

She cuts him off, unable to control her sudden knowledge of the poison, "-touching the leaves of the plant without wearing gloves as it is very rapidly and easily absorbed. Because of its untraceable nature it has been a popular one with the “get away with murder” crowd. Reportedly, it has a particularly famous casualty. The emperor Claudius is said to have been poisoned by his wife, Agrippina, using aconite in a plate of mushrooms."

Her eyes widen with shock, but after a few seconds, they go back to normal, and she throws the plate next to her.

"Cute- you guys finished each others sentences. How adorable. Tell me, how long have the two of you nerds been dating?" An unfamiliar voice asks.

The two of them look towards the speaker immediately, confused.

He had bright orange hair, and the unnatural gills on his face indicated that he wasn't human. Though, if he wasn't human, how was his English so well? Most of the creatures around here speak weirdly, but this dude...it's as if English was his native language.

"You can stop staring at me, girl. I'm sure your boyfriend will get jealous, and you'll probably get into an argument." He adds smugly, crossing his arms with a huge grin of his stupid gilly face.

Hazel glares up at the man, "He's not my boyfriend. How about you stop eavesdropping, Gill?"

The man raises one of his weirdly shaped eyebrows, "Gill?"

"Go away, dude. I'm trying to have a conversation with my friend." She spits angrily, and to her surprise, he leaves.

Luke frowns at her, "I didn't see you as the type to be...bitter."

Hazel stares at her hands with an intense gaze holding in her eyes, but nods. "He was annoying me. Plus, I don't know him. Do you? It didn't seem like you did. Do you think we could talk about something? I'm dying to have an actual conversation about a actual topic with someone besides my Science teacher."

"Um, maybe you'd like to go up to the new room, and we could talk? I mean, we're kind of the only ones down here now." He points out.

Hazel skims the room quickly, and he's right. They're the onyl two in the room. When did Gill go up? He didn't even make a sound.

"I like the quiet...but I'm curious as to what's up there, so...let's go." She mumbles, half to herself, though he still hears her.

She climbs up the ladder first, and once she reaches the top, sighs. Was this a freaking ballroom? What the heck were they supposed to do in here, waltz?

Hazel waited until Luke was at her side, before she began walking forward. This whole system was interesting. This is the kind of test she'd never taken before, more less studied for. But, knowing herself, she'd come up with an answer. She always did. And maybe, if Luke was at her level of intellectual(ness? XD). Wait, of course he is. Or, somewhat. He knew stuff, that was for sure. Maybe he knew more than her?

"Hazel, are you okay?" His voice asks, breaking her train of thought. There was an intense gleam in his eyes, it was confusing, but at the same time, Hazel understood it.

"Huh?" She questions, lifting a hand to scratch her neck.

"I think you were spaced out. You look like you were deep in thought...oh, man, sorry if I made you forget what you were thinking about." He apologized, with an apologetic look crossing over his face.

Hazel grins, and waves his off. "I need to stop thinking so much, anyways."

Luke beams at her, but then his expression becomes serious, and his lip tightens in a thin fold. After a few seconds, he mutters a, "What do you think?"

Hazel frowns a bit, but then nods, as if knowing, "I'm still trying to process all of this happening, and how, but I do have a few things that could be useful. I figured out how unhealthy the glitch is to the walls, so of course in this room, there's going to be an advantage to us. Hopefully I'm right, and I can create an equation that will help me both solve the puzzle to this room, and give me useful information of this whole thing."
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

54 Reviews

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Morn

The punch landed, smashing the healer to the ground. Instantly the white haired boy tackled him, pushing Morn to the ground yet the rage continued to burn in his stomach and he lashed out with his arm, catching the boy behind the neck. His fingers latched on like a clamp and he flung his opponent off him.

The wrath bubbled up from within him and flooded his senses. Morn's ears were filled with a dull roar as he slowly stood. His eyes were blurred by a film of red and he could taste the blood from his lip were the skin had split. The boy was up as well, he looked more mad than hurt. This was good, it meant Morn could punish him all the more harshly.

Grinning maniacally, The Archangel strode forwards, fists clenched, breath coming in short sharp hisses. The voice in his ears growled,

"KILL HIM."

The boy charged, he was fast, maybe faster than Morn, but he was stupid. Young and reckless. Morn sidestepped the boy and grabbed his shoulder, bringing him towards Morn's waiting fist. A crack echoed through the room and the youth stumbled back, blood leaking from his nose. Morn laughed. The boy was in pain. To many people didn't know pain. Morn would change that.

An expression of pure rage crossed the white haired one's face. He charged again yet this time he dodged Morn's first strike and took him in the gut. The two crashed to the floor. One laughing, one roaring in anger. The boy landed on top, smashing his fist into Morns face, once, twice, three times then was stopped as The Archangel snapped his palm up to block the fourth strike. Morn slammed his forehead into the boy's face. He threw the kid off him and aimed a kick at his opponent's ribs. The voice in his ears screamed again,

"KILL HIM!"

Yet something was off, a whistling came from behind The Archangel, getting louder. An open palm struck Morn in the back of the head and he collapsed in a heap next to his white haired opponent.
Last edited by StupidSoup on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:55 am
View Likes
Poopsie says...

I saw the kick coming before Lorrin, before Gunnar, before anyone and instantly knew what to do. I had just bounded up the ladder and into the secret room, which seemed like an exotic palace, one found in India or Moscow. I stepped behind him and grabbed the back of his neck, finding the pressure point and putting him down before checking on Gunnar.

"You alright?" I asked, pulling him into a sitting position. Gunnar grumbled and wiped the blood from his face. I found Aileen and in seconds, Gunnar was good as new.

"What happened?" Aileen asked, rubbing her head. I turned to Gunnar with a questioning look and he sighed,

" He came from nowhere, literally, he must've teleported man he was tough..." Aileen cut him off

" Get to the point please."

Gunnar shot her a look, then, grumbling, began again.

" He punched you Aileen, probably knocked you out, so I tackled him. He got me in the head, got me good, then weirdo........Jay, knocked him out somehow. Thanks by the way."

"No problem." I smiled, brushing off the insult.

"If you three are done getting beat up, I'd like to get out of this room and go home." Lorrin walked up behind Gunnar, I nodded.

"i'll leave you three to it then. By the way, I spotted a girl around here.....there she is, blonde hair, glasses, I heard her explaining what the study of poison was, she's pretty smart, I'm sure you four can find a way to escape. Now their are a few statues over there which I would like to take a look at, best to appreciate art while we have the time." I gave the three a wink, then, locating the abstract statues I had seen before, I walked off.
Last edited by Poopsie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:18 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

For a moment Luke and Hazel just stood thinking. What was it we had to do to pass the test? Was it something to do with how we got here? Teleportation? There were no doors, no obvious exits. There was something playing on the pinnacle of his subconscious, just out of reach...
Come on, Luke, pull yourself together, think logically...
Hazel seemed to be thinking intently, muttering numbers under her breath.
"Penny for your thoughts?"
"Well," started Hazel, "I'm trying to think, based on the idea we are in a computer stimulated environment. Did you see the glitch downstairs? Part of the wall had loaded incorrectly."
Luke thought about this. "Is there anything similar in this room?"
"Not that I can see, unless... yes, look up there. In the air, simmering like a heat wave."
Luke looked. "That ain't no glitch. Thats..."
"A matter phaser." finished Hazel. "Rudimentary teleportation screen."
"That's our way out."
"How the hell are we supposed to get up there?"
"Just a second." said Luke. "What does this room remind you of?"
"Well a ballroom, I guess."
Luke laughed, and then a slow waltz started playing. "May I have this dance?"
Hazel looked surprised, then laughed. "Where's that music coming from?"
"One of the main advantages of being Augmented Human is inbuilt speakers. O.k, maybe not a main advantage. But I like it."
Hazel smiled. "So, how does that help us get out?"
"Look closer now. The design, the themes, the paintings..."
"Classical abstract..." said Hazel under her breath, "Wait a minute... this is all done in the style of Neo-Armaridian! Based on ancient designs and insignia with elements of minimalism and sophisticated adaptation."
"Exactly. Although to be fair I haven't the faintest idea what that is. I do know however back when this was in fashion there was massive craze for exotic magic tricks..."
A look of enlightenment spread across Hazel's face. "But where are we going to find a rope?"
"There." Hazel looked at where Luke was pointing. In the corner of the room was a small sculpture of an anchor, and tied around it, about thirty yards of rope.
"Shall we do it?"
"After you."
Hazel picked up the rope, and walked to the middle of the room, Luke close behind. Nobody was looking, and they largely went unnoticed. Then she grabbed hold of one end of the rope, and threw it straight into the air. And it stood, upright, the end disappeared into nothing. Then, after a quick pull to make sure it was secure, Hazel began to climb, Luke following a couple of metres behind.
Now everyone was watching. A few broke out of the croud and made a dash for the rope, but neither Luke nor Hazel noticed, for they were now in a different kind of room altogether.
Where the rope disappeared a strange shimmer in the air hovered. As Luke passed through it he suddenly felt gravity pulling sideways. He climbed all the way through the strange shimmer, and came out from a black aperture in a wall of what could be only considered a massive sauna. The room wass large, the floor was tiled, the room was full of steam, and a coal fire burned in the far wall. The black hole of nothingness looked incredibly out of place on the wall, a rope dangling out from it. Hazel stood in the middle of the room, looking round, sweltering in the heat. Luke remembered she didn't have the benefit of air conditioned clothing.
"I don't know about you, but this ain't a room I want to be stuck in long."
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 am
IamTraunt says...

Gunnar the Great

Everything had happened so fast. One minute I was winding Lorrin round the bend, she was threatening me, and then I got attacked. I was flipping furious. This was the most action I'd seen in a long time—I felt as if I were living a movie, never mind acting in one. The whole thing was crazy.

Blood trickled down my nose and I kept wiping it away. I had always had quite a sensitive nose (which bugged me like hell), and this guy had just known it would effect me. If not, it was just a lucky punch. And after the incident with Lorrin, I wasn't getting any sympathy from her. Stupid off-world Snake girl. Didn't know humor when it hit her in the face.

The kid named Jay had stumbled across us again after the fight and soon was walking off again. It was like he knew I was recruiting. He had said about some smart girl with glasses and how she could help us escape. If that wasn't a hint, I didn't know what was. Hopefully Lorrin hadn't caught on or I'd have one of her blades in my throat.

And that was another thing that had caught my attention. How was I meant to stop freaking blades coming out of her wrists? My power stopped another's, but I couldn't stop something so solid, something immovable. Perhaps I could stop her from certain things, but I barely knew her. I couldn't begin to imagine what I could limit.

What I did know was that I had to be more wary. Cautious. Like a snake. How ironic.

Just as the drama of the crazy guy attacking me was calming down, swarms of people began pooling towards some sort of sculpture in the far corner of the room and a flicker of a rope was visible through a mass of bodies. Another exit.

"Jeez. People are just so desperate," I huffed, folding my arms across my chest. Lorrin gave my a sideline look, seething still. Man, did I have to make it up to her somehow. But that was exactly it. How? I didn't exactly know how her culture and society worked—how was I meant to say something that a) didn't offend her and b) got her to trust me? The whole "be laid back" thing didn't work, she almost killed me. A simple nickname got her riling. It was like walking on thin ice.

"They just want to go home," said Aileen, coming up beside me. "Times are tough."

"No. Time is limited," I corrected. "None of us want to die."

Ouch, did I sound touchy. I couldn't help it really. Fights always got me frustrated. The sheer joy that was involved when actually beating someone always left me empty afterwards. No game, no shame. And that Jay kid sure made me look weak. At least he got the advantage of attacking from behind. I got the full blown force of that psychopath.

"Shall we push through?" I asked impatiently. I was getting to the end of my tether. There were hundreds of aliens and people stranded in The Room, even after some died of poisoning, and it took them ages to all go up the damn rope. With all the pushing and pulling, they were getting nowhere.

"Not a good idea," replied Lorrin. "Some of us might get trampled on."

Grunting in frustration, I pulled out my Glock devotee from my inside pocket. Lorrin eyed it up suspiciously. She may have blades and fangs and be half a snake... but I had a sleek, black gun and a barrel full of bullets.

"Yeah, well, let's part the red sea," I joked, holding the gun up and closing one eye. I was waiting for the chance to hit the sculpture, and soon it came. A gap between two people was made clear and I pulled the trigger. A bang! rang all around. People jumped out of the way, utterly shocked. Again. People quickly backed away, heads snapping in my direction, staring.

An opening was made and I ushered Lorrin and Aileen on, pushing through the loose nit of species. Whatever was in the next room, I was ready for it. But it wasn't going to be easy.

People were smart. They soon realized that the shooting was just a distraction and they began closing in on us. I almost pushed Lorrin as I saw the crowd closing in.

"Get a damn move on!" I shouted over a mass of confusion and angered voices.

"I'm trying!" roared Lorrin, almost throwing someone out of the way with a single push of her hand. Good grief. Aileen was behind me and I grabbed her arm, dragging her slightly.

The panic set in once again and I felt like the walls were closing in on me. Damn. Maybe I didn't like being in a huge crowd. How the hell I coped in Japan, I don't know.

The rope was mere meters away. But it was getting harder and harder to push through. I almost dropped my gun, but thankfully didn't.

We needed a miracle to get out in time.
Before you judge me...

― Mark Twain

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 am
View Likes
Poopsie says...

I heard the gunshot as I turned the corner. Gunnar sure wasn't one to mess around. I had told him I was going to take a look at some sculptures, but that wasn't the case. While talking with Gunnar and Aileen, I had noticed the exotic carpets lining the floor, It was only after the conversation I had noticed what they really were. The Skhul Cave and the Blombos Cave, written in ancient Omotic and painted in intricate patterns mentioned a system of arrows and symbols that pointed either north, south, east, or west. It was this that enables hominids to get a sense of location. Now I followed the patterns, first to the statues, which I did intend to look at later, then around a corner and straight into a dead end. I was confused for a second, then I reached out and tentatively touched the wall. My hand fazed through the wall, I smirked at whoever created this's trick and walked straight through the wall.

The other side was dark and stuffy. I waited until my eyes adjusted, then looked around. I was in a narrow corridor stretching as far as the eye could see. seeing no other choice, I began walking down the corridor. Walking with nothing to do but think, I began wondering what was happening back in the main room. Gunnar seemed fine, but his morals seemed misplaced. He wanted to get out of the room, that was okay, but that was all he cared about. He had the capabilities to show passion and become a caring friend, but as far as I saw, Gunnar only saw the people around him as assets. Tools to aid him in his escape, and that was the reason why he would have to change in order to survive.

Lorrin, on the other hand, was cold to everyone. And I couldn't blame her. She looked rugged and outcast and for all I knew, she was. However she had the capacity for teamwork, although reluctant, she knew the only way to get out of here was to work together. As I thought of this, something buzzed. Snapping out of my thoughts, I focused on my hearing and picked up on the buzzing again. Ahead...there. I pinpointed the buzzing. Keeping track of the sound, I focused on my eyes. I looked down the corridor all the way to the bomb. '60 minutes left' I mumbled, then turned and ran.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24 Reviews

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:17 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Lorrin

These creatures are really getting on my nerves now. Gunnar really got under my skin before. And after that freak attack, he's been looking at me like I'm some grotesque being about to launch myself at him. Is he scared of me? I doubt it. Gunnar, afraid? I haven't known him long but he seems to be impervious to fear. Just like Dentae.
Ugh, I've really got to stop comparing him to my brother. It will end badly for me soon.
"Lorrin, hurry the hell up!" Gunnar snarls.
I grit my teeth, but not from his impatience. "Qulakete ishrisei!" I hiss.
"What?" Gunnar calls.
"Time for the scales to come out!" I say with an evil grin on my face.
Something I've come to learn is that no matter the species - unless you're a Recognised who are way too open minded - there is an irrational fear of dangerous creatures like snakes, spiders and demons. Unless of course you're a Rakshan, then the fear is also of anything non-Rakshan.
My form flickers and I morph into a large, creamy white snake. I lift my head and stare around with beady black eyes. Everything has changed. I see the world in heat form now. The heat from the bodies is nothing compared to the heat in the walls. Huh? I let out a hiss and the creature directly before me screams.
"Snake!" The cry goes up.
The feet before me are suddenly gone. I turn to look at Gunnar before sliding smoothly across the carpet to the rope. Everyone scrambles to get away from me, and for the first time in my life, it doesn't hurt.
"Lorrin, look out!" Aileen screams.
I turn my head to see a man running at me. Suddenly Gunnar has his gun at the man's face, giving me a look that shows his impatience and shock. I get to the ladder as quickly as possible, Gunnar and Aileen close behind. I change back into my "human" form to climb up the rope. When I reach the top, I see the other creatures lying down on the white floor, sighing with relief. We've made it back to The Room!
"We made it," a female says.
Hands wrap around my forearms and I'm spun around. Gunnar glares at me and I give him a sheepish smile.
"What the ... what the hell was that?!" He roars.
"Um ... I told you I'm half snake. That's the other half?" I offer with a grin.
He just shakes his head. "You're crazy, you know that?" He bites outs, and then cringes. "I mean ... ahh ... you're ... ah damn it."
I laugh. I think he's learnt his lesson. "I know I'm crazy, my brother tells me that all the time," I say. Gunnar gives me a shocked expression.
"You ... have a brother?" He asks.
"Yeah," I sigh and look at the ground. Don't think of him, you'll only get sad! "Um ... thanks for ... before. You know, with the crazy guy and stuff."
Gunnar smiles and let's go of my arms. "No problem," he says.
"You're off the hook too, Quvirenicu," I add.
He gives me a deadpan look. "Do I even want to know?" He growls.
"Friend," I find myself blushing. "It means friend."
The expression on Gunnar's face intensifies the blush. Ahh damn it!
Of course I am.
Why?

54 Reviews

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:54 pm
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Morn

A beeping woke Morn from his sleep. The Archangel groaned and turned away from the noise, he felt his rage rekindle but he pushed it down, Morn was in no mood for a fight, he was tired, and felt no obligation to investigate this annoyance. The beeping continued, yet now he could hear something behind it, some kind of voice, saying something that Morn could not hear. Now his interest was piked, Morn slowly sat up and opened his eyes to the familiar sight of rich mahogany and dark velvet. The beeping emanated from somewhere across the grand hall. Morn slowly stood and walked towards the sound. He could hear the voice more clearly now, it seemed to be counting down, down to what?

"Ten"

Morn rounded a corner and stopped in his tracks, a silver sphere sat facing him, a panel at it's front showed,

"Nine"

Now he knew what it was. Sprinting back to the grand hall, Morn franticly sought an exit.

"Eight"

Tearing at his hair, The Archangel screamed,

"GIVE ME CONTROL!"

Morn shook his head, he would not give in to rage, it had only gotten him into trouble and it wouldn't help now, what he needed to do was move, not run, or climb, just to move like he had done before, through matter and time to get to where he wanted.

"Seven"

The Archangel screamed again,

"GIVE ME CONTROL, ONLY I CAN GET US WHERE WE NEED TO BE!"

Morn staggered and clutched his head, he needed to think, he needed to ignore the beast within.

"Six"

The Archangel knew what Morn was doing, it had come across this resistance before,

"YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE THIS WITHOUT ME! YOU COULD NEVER SURVIVE ANYTHING WITHOUT ME!"

Morn shouted back,

"WE WOULDNT BE IN HERE IF IT WERENT FOR YOU, WE WOULD BE SAFE WITH OUR FAMILY IF IT WERENT FOR YOU!"

The Archangel was furious, it glanced at the time,

"Five"

It needed to make it's move, now or never,

"GIVE ME CONTROL OR WE WILL BOTH DIE!"

Morn faltered, he did need to survive, he needed to live on, for his family.

"Four"

The Archangel felt Morn's weakness, it attacked his mind, his inner sanctum.

"Three"

Morn fought the beast, there had to be a better way, he could not give in.

"Two"

The Archangel was in, it could feel Morn's thoughts and took control of them, it knew what to do, it felt the other beings one floor up, it knew how to get to them, though matter, through time.

"One"

The grand hall exploded in a massive fireball, obliterating everything within. The Archangel felt itself move through the walls separating It from the others, yet its leg burned with a searing pain. The Archangel felt himself lose control, It felt itself slipping away from Morn's mind.

Morn collapsed just in front of the ancient one, the one who had downed him in a single blow.

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World