z

Young Writers Society

The Selection

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:53 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

-Anastasiya-

I finger the soft material of the dress and smile at the silkiness of the tulle and the silk underneath it. I stand and look at myself. I still look mostly the same, but my eyes are odd. My finger hovers at the corner of my eyelid, ready to smear the makeup, but I force myself to put it back down. The shoes have tiny heels on them, and they click as I walk to another room, following the steady stream of girls out. We bottleneck in the magnificently decorated hallway and come to a cluster in a room. A woman stands in front of us. She starts in on a speech, and I ignore her. Instead, I look around the room. A ray of sunlight falls through the glass window, highlighting the dust motes in the air. It dissolves into the creamy coloured stone. I study the marble tiles, the smoothly polished coral background and the grey and red flecks of colour inside it.

My ears perk up when the woman says her next rule. "And no matter what the prince asks of you, it would not be wise to refuse. Kisses- more than kisses-" I stop listening and clutch at my stomach as a sudden wave of nausea overtakes me. The girl next to me must notice, because she whispers, "Are you alright? You're really pale." I shrug.

"Late batch of nerves, I think." She smiles.

"Tell me about it. It's so competitive here." She shudders and turns back.

I go back to studying the room, trying to forget about that rule, when everyone suddenly moves again.

It must be over.

I hurry along with them and find my room. Three girls wait for me inside. The blonde one curtsies first. "My name is Elena, my lady."

The ginger goes next. "I'm Reagan, Lady Anastasia." My name sounds so formal, coming from her mouth.

The last one, another blonde, introduces herself. "And I am Aroline, my lady."

I nod at them. "It's nice to meet you all. Please call me Anya, it sounds so odd for you to address me with a title."

Aroline looks bewildered. She's obviously their leader, so she responds. "Alright- er, Lady Anya."

I wince, but it sounds better, at least. "Thank you. Would you mind waking me before dinner?"

They all nod and resume fixing up the room. Reagan and Elena exit, and Aroline sits down on the floor and begins to sew something. Too tired to notice, I fall onto the bed and fade into the bliss of sleep, my chaotic day erased from my mind.
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

Reviews: 4
Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:00 pm
thelostone says...

Isaline Porter

My mind was spinning. There were so many girls, so many fragments of conversations bombarding me, so many flashes of color. I desperately wanted my bag and camera back at my side. I needed to feel a sense of home and familiarity while being surrounded by so many strangers.

A woman stepped into the room and immediately, all attention was drawn towards her. It was fascinating how she did little to nothing to quiet us yet everyone sensed how important she must be and grew silent regardless.

"Who is she?" A girl besides me muttered, tugging on her dress.

I lifted my shoulders in a small shrug. "I'd guess our adviser?" I whispered back. When the girl glanced at me, I noticed her eyes. They were intriguing. One blue and one brown. I wondered if she had been teased for them when she was little. Or perhaps more people found them as interesting as I did. I'd never seen anything like her. To some she might be considered an oddity, but she looked more like a piece of art to me. I absentmindedly reached for my camera but instead I touched the side of my dress.

The lady smiled daintily then spoke. "My name is Grace, and I'll be your adviser." The girl with pretty eyes looked over at me and I smiled in response."I'll be overseeing your time here, making sure you obey rules, and -most importantly- teaching you how to be a lady. Let me go over the rules," Grace begins to rattle off what seems to be an endless list of expectations.

I tried hard to focus on what she was saying, but kept getting distracted. So many people, so many histories crammed into one little room. I found myself trying to read into the girls' pasts simply by their faces. It wasn't an easy task and I ended up making up most of their back stories for them.

The girl standing over by the side of the room with gorgeous long dark hair and matching dark eyes, I guessed to be in a lower caste. The way she was shifting uncomfortably and hugging her stomach made me think that perhaps she didn't want to be here. Maybe she didn't have a choice. Many girls from lower castes had multiple siblings to think of. I hadn't realized until just now how lucky I was that my parents stopped after me. This girl's actions will define her family's future. She's carrying a burden that I am lucky enough not to have.

I must've missed something because there was a collective small gasp and many of the girls began to mumble to each other again. I turned to ask the girl from earlier what was happening but before I could, everyone was being herded into groups.

I was lead into a separate room and was immediately blinded by camera flashes. I stumbled slightly trying to make my way over to where the Report interviewer was standing.

"Isaline Porter!" She beamed. "Oh, be careful we don't want you breaking an ankle!" She laughed as I continued to walk like a newborn deer.

"The cameras," I chuckled nervously. "The flashes are making it difficult to see."

"Ah, well you will get used to it." The lady smiled. Her mousy brown hair was pulled into a slick ponytail. Her lipstick was bright red and I could smell her perfume from the moment I walked in. "Isaline, you look marvelous! How do you like your make over? Your dress is amazing."

"Uh, thanks." I fiddled with my fingers then glanced up at the camera staring me in the face. "No way!" I gasped, trying to move closer to the camera but the newswoman held out her arm to stop me. "Is that a Nikon D800? The resolution on those is stunning. I usually use my Polaroid Model 95 which I love but it's faulty because it's so old and I really wish it had the type of resolution those Nikons have-"

"Miss Porter!" The lady snapped then cleared her throat. Her previous enthusiasm and peppiness vanished. "Answer the question, please."

My cheeks burned as I took a step back. "Oh, sorry. I do like my make over. I'm glad they didn't change much. Although I do wish they hadn't covered my tattoo. Everyone is saying that they want the audience and the prince to know who I am but then they go and cover the part of me that's the most me-ish I suppose and-"

"A tattoo? Oh my, okay well it has been a pleasure meeting you today." She tilted her head and a maid came over and lightly took my arm, pulling me away. "Isaline Porter, five, of Sumner, everybody."

I groaned quietly as I followed her down a hallway. I should've kept my mouth shut.

"Miss Porter, this is your room." The maid said when we arrived in front of a door. She curtsied then hurried back down the corridor.

I took a deep breath then walked in. Three new maids were making my bed and scuttling around making sure everything was in place.

"Oh!" One squeaked when she noticed me. All three whipped around and curtsied. "I'm Olivia, Miss." The younger looking one with the tightly braided auburn hair said.

"Penelope, Miss Isaline." The next one muttered, avoiding eye contact. She was slightly older but still seemed to be younger than my mother.

"I'm Marian, Miss." The last one smiled warmly.

"You can call me Izzy, if you'd like." I shrugged. "Whatever's easiest."

Marian handed me my camera and leather bag and a wave of relief washed over me but there was still the doubt in the back of my mind that I had just blown a big opportunity before it even began.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm
Kelpies says...

Sylvania- Instruction room

"You must keep your virginity"

I mentally laughed at this, I had never had an issue with that, everyone thought I was still a kid, I looked it and acted it. I had never even been courted, this was all new to me.

"You must do everything Prince Jaison tells you, kissing, or more than kissing."

Someone next to me mumbled about if you are supposed to keep your virginity, how are you supposed to do "more than kissing" with the prince.

"That's a nice contradiction" I murmured back.

We were then told to go to the interviewers, then follow our maids to our rooms.

"How did you like your makeover?"

Could I answer this truthfully? I looked at the window glass. In this light, I did seem radiant.

"It was really nice, I just am not the biggest fan of the color pink."

She asked me a few more questions, then I was following a maid to my chamber. It didn't seem very far, although if you asked me for directions to anywhere I would have given you one of my famous (yet rarely executed) blank stares. Two more maids were waiting in my chamber as I entered, and as soon as I did they stood to attention, they seemed to be expecting something, though I hadn't the slightest idea what.

"At ease soldiers" I said humorously, grinning at them.

"I'm pretty sure you know who I am... But I would very much like to know who you are."

One of them cut in, her voice slightly high and fast-spoken.

"I'm Sybil."
"And I'm Threse" Said a quiet one in the corner.
"Good, good." I said back. "I'll probably forget and ask you again just so you know, I'm terrible with names."

I lay down on the other pillows, which, sad to say, were also pink. But they felt good, and that's all that matters, Right?

As I lay down, even though I just wanted to fake sleep until the maids got some rest, I felt my self... fading... into... (Snores).
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:05 pm
elysian says...

Ariel

I lovely smell drifted to my nose, and my mouth watered. Even though the kitchen was a floor below our chambers I could almost taste the ribs, seasoned with spices, and the sides of mashed potatoes with gravy. Maybe there was some corn and a salad with fruit. I was eating good this evening.

Even though I hadn't won yet, I already felt like royalty. I heard Whitney, Ana, and Alice nearly silently cleaning. I opened my eyes to see te fabric that hung over my bedpost, and the white ceiling just past that.

"Lady Ariel?" Ana spoke hesiently. Everything was silent, scared they woke me up.

"Don't worry ladies, I was already awake." I smiled at them as I sat up. Alice smiled shyly.

"You have another hour before we have to get you ready for this evening. You could sleep more if you wanted." She offered.

"No, no. I think I'll play some piano if you don't mind." I smiled again, standing up.

"Not at all, my Lady." Ana nodded, smiling. Ana seemed to be the clear leader of the group.

I walked over to the beautiful, white instrument. I ran my fingers over the top, feeling the smoothness. The chir screeched a little as I pulled it out, and I felt my maid's eyes on me as my fingers reached for the keys, screaming for the feel of the spruce.

I started playing Bach's "Goldberg Variations". My fingers gently glided from key to key, and the sound was beautiful. I felt it rattle my bones, feeling the movement. The beauty of the music drifted through the room as tasty as the smell of the food. I got drunk on the sound, but my fingers never faultered. The tears came slowly, but soon I was crying too much to play on. It was amazing how much an instrument can effect me emotionally.

When I turned around to see my maids, their faces slightly red along with my own, It was Ana that suggusted that we start getting ready.

After an hour, I was beautiful head to toe. My hair was in an elegant updo, full of braids and curls. My face was shimmering in the light of the room, and my lips were a sparkling pink. My neck had a bright diamond neckless dangling from it, which felt heavy. My dress was a deep blue, and it shimmered as well. My shoes were danty heels in the same shade as my dress. Even my nails were the same shade.

I made my way down the stairs, Alice holding the back of my dress so I wouldn't trip over it. My palms were sweaty as I got closer to the dinning room, and my mouth could hardly stand the wait.

I hear quiet laughter in the room, and when I turn the corner, I see some girls are already there. Some glare at me, some gasp. I couldn't help gasping a little at them, everyone was stunning. The Royal family wasn't here yet, but only I saw the little Prince hiding behind a curtain. I smiled and walked over to Prince Harrison.

"Hello." I smiled, the little Prince hiding behind his curtain a little more. "Don't worry my Prince, I won't hurt you." I held out my hand for him.

Prince Harrison slowly came out from behind the curtain, looking around to see if anyone is watching. He leaned in slowly to my ear and whispered: "I'm playing hide and seek with bubby Jai. You have to be quiet!" he said urgently, and crept back behind the curtain.

"Oh!" I whispered. "I won't tell anyone, I promise!" I smiled. I slowly got up and turned around to see more glares at my back. I stopped smiling and looked down.

Grace came in, stress lines visable. "Everyone settle down! The Royal Family will arrive soon!"

I hurried to my seat, and the trumpets sounded, but unlike most of us thought, Prince Jaison didn't walk in, he ran. He ran straight to his little brother, and yelled, "I got you!"

All of the girls at the table glanced at each other, and the girl I know to be Isaline let out a soft giggle. Everyone stared at her as if she committed a crime, but she kept giggling. Prince Jaison looked at Isaline and smiled, which made her blush.

Prince Jaison cleared his thoat, "Excuse me ladies. I didn't mean to make that impression. It's just that little Harrison here," He rubbed the little Prince's head, messing up his blonde curls, "Likes to play games." Prince Harrison laughed and ran to Queen Autumn as she walked in with her husband, the King.

All the girls around the room, including me, straightened at the sound of his voice and the entrance of the Queen and King. The Royal Parents just nodded towards everyone, then quietly took their seat, never loosing physical contact. Hand on hand, arm on arm, hand on shoulder.

Next, the long awaited food arrived. Everyone. even the higher castes, looked blissfully at the ribs, mashed potatoes, crab legs, and champagne. Even I didn't care who was looking, I ate my heart out. It was almost as if I was eating melted diamonds. So pure, the taste could only be described as beautiful.

Some of us made small talk, some of us didn't. I noticed the Royal Family merely whispered to each other, watching us. I felt as if I was being evaluated. I sat up straighter. Once everyone had calmed down and were finishing up, Prince Jaison stood up.

"It's time for the first elimination."
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:08 pm
Kelpies says...

Sylvania- Dining Hall

I stood near the dining table, in a dress that reflected blues and greens in an arrangement not unlike that of a peacocks feathers, with a few of the real thing in my hair. In the light of the dining hall, my hair seemed to be darker, and my eyes seemed to be hazel. I couldn't help but drum my fingers as I waited for Prince Jaison and the rest of the royal family to arrive, in actuality, I was itching to dig my fingers into a block of good clay, work my magic.

I saw Ariel talking to the young prince, I saw him go back behind the curtains, but only out of the corner of my eye. Right about then, Prince Jaison burst into the room.

"Got you!" He said, revealing his brother from behind the curtains. He then seemed to realize that we were there;

"Sorry" He said "It's just that Harrison" He indicated his brother "likes to play games."

A freckled girl with "dirty" blonde hair giggled, and Prince Jaison smiled at her, I suddenly didn't want to be noticed. I wanted to blend in, be the usual "me", shy. I looked at my feet, that seemed to be in steletos, it seemed that as soon as I noticed that they were, they started to hurt. I fidgeted with my bracelet as we were all seated, I pecked at my food, though it was delicious, I was nervous with so many people around me.

"And now" Said Prince Jaison "We Come to the elimination."

I started to fiddle with pretty much all my jewelry, rings, bracelets, necklaces.

With my luck it's me, I'm probably leaving today, I'll be the first one gone. I thought, it didn't help me to stop fidgeting I'll tell you. I stared off into the distance, past the Prince, as I always did when I was nervous and in deep thought.

And Prince Jaison opened his mouth to speak:

Spoiler! :
On to the next person!
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:45 am
View Likes
Sunshine says...

Basil

My hair was a mess. When say mess, of course, I don't mean a few-hairs-out-of-place. I mean giant knot at the back of my head. It takes all three maids to comb it out. I would normally just leave it, but they insist. t is not a pleasant process.

They put me in another dress, though not one so fanciful as the one I wore earlier. It was still pretty gosh darn fancy, but it was a bit more breathable. The fabric, whatever it was, stretched better around the parts yesterday's dress thought I should not have. It was white, twisting down my arms. the bottom was- I know this word!- sparkling tulle. My maids did my hair, and took forever on my eyes. Getting ready was going to be such a hassle.

I can't remember what I did next, honestly. I think there were people, and I think I talked to them. There were so many names, so many places that just got caught up in a whirlwind. They all said things, but none of it was actually important. None of it mattered.

Well, I guess there was one thing.

"You're gonna last awhile, I bet." One girl said to me.

"What?"

She stared, intently. "Your eyes. Even without an ounce of personality, those eyes make you beautiful and unique. There's an elimination coming. You won't be going."

"Is... that a compliment?"

"No."

I frowned at her, but can't help looking back. Her eyes are brown... just brown. She smiles a little, and walks away.

So, that was about it. I (and everyone else) caught our first glimpse of Jaison, playing with his brother. It was a good first impression, but that was all. He didn't talk to any of us. I don't know how he expected to let go of any of us without even exchanging a word.

Food is brought out. I loose myself in eating it.

Prince Jaison stands up, announcing loudly. "It's time for the first elimination."

He lists off names, and girls break into sobs. It's a big list, but I'm not on it. I'm not sad for any of these girls. What's the big deal? You never really knew him. If I stay, I'll be sad if I have to leave, because I'll have made friends, maybe started liking Jaison.

These girls, they never had the chance.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

Reviews: 4
Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:19 am
thelostone says...

Isaline Porter

After the interviews, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands. I knew we were expected to stay in our rooms but I wanted so badly to explore the castle with my camera. I peaked around the door once or twice but decided I better stay. I had already ruined my Report interview, if I got caught somewhere I wasn't allowed I'd be going home indefinitely. The longer I stay, the better chance I have at seeing the castle without having to sneak.

I grew bored fast and tried a multitude of things to entertain myself. I hung off the edge of my bed until the blood rushed to my head, I tried braiding my hair like I saw some of the other girls sporting during the interviews but my arms grew tired and what I was left with didn't resemble a braid at all. I attempted to take photos of my room but the lighting was wrong and there weren't many interesting subjects or objects to shoot. I did manage to remove the makeup covering my tattoo by spitting on my hands and rubbing my forearm raw. I was in the middle of sifting through my bag of Polaroids when the maids came in.

"Miss Isaline," Penelope spoke softly. "Dinner will be served soon. It's time to get you dressed and presentable. You will be dining with the royals."

I blinked a few times, processing what she had told me. For a moment I had forgotten about the royals which is absurd considering I was in a castle. But I hadn't seen them since I arrived and they slipped my mind. I was going to be dining with the royal family. Me, Isaline Porter. Suddenly there was a pit in my stomach. If I messed up again, I'd be going home with nothing. Not even decent pictures to add to my collection. I quickly shook off the nerves and took in a deep breath.

"Is everything alright, Miss Isaline?" Olivia asked after noticing my blank face.

I nodded and smiled back at her. "Everything's fine." Marian took my hand in a grandmotherly way and gently led me away from my pictures.

"Can we leave my hair down tonight?" I asked as they began to take pins out from the updo I wore to the interview. My head hurt from my hair being pulled back so tightly for so long. I had managed to loosen it earlier when I was hanging from my bed but my temples still throbbed.

"Of course, Miss." Penelope said. Small creases formed by the edges of her eyes when she smiled.

It took the three of them less time to get me ready than I had expected. I assumed it was because the ladies from earlier had already somewhat tamed my hair and plucked my eyebrows. When I was done, I was in a deep red dress that fell straight to the floor. The fabric was different from the dress earlier, it was more airy. It made me want to twirl in a circle until the dress blossomed out beneath me. The dress had short lace sleeves the same color as the dress that barely covered my shoulders. Marian and Penelope had noticed my tattoo but said nothing. I was grateful they didn't cover it up. They left my hair down but braided one side back behind my ear. The only part I didn't like were the heels. I still wasn't used to walking in them. I clutched Olivia's arm for support as I wobbled towards the door.

As soon as I made it to the dining room, I quickly sat down in a seat. Discretely, I kicked off my shoes under the table, biting back a smile as my toes were released from their confines.

I watched carefully as girls trickled in. Some took their seats and others stood and mingled. Trumpets sounded and there was a blur of movement and laughter as Prince Jaison ran straight past the table towards the curtains at the other end.

"I got you!" He cried, grabbing his brother lightly by the waist and dragging him out from behind the curtains. The two of them were both laughing which, in turn, made me want to laugh. I tried to stay silent like the rest of the girls but a giggle escaped. I covered my mouth with my hand but I couldn't stop laughing. I could feel everyone's eyes on me but I didn't care.

The prince locked eyes with me and smiled, reassuring the small part of me that was worried laughing was a mistake. Heat rushed to my cheeks and I looked away, chewing on my lip.

He cleared his throat and apologized for his behavior. The king and queen entered the room very regally. I noticed that they never lost touch as they sat down. It was a beautiful and subtle representation of how much they loved each other. Everyone should have a love like that before they die.

A mountain of food was set in front of me. Some of the foods, I'd never seen before. I had trouble pacing myself. It all tasted so good and I wanted to try all of it. The possibility of being sick later on would be definitely worth it.

I could feel the King and Queen's eyes watching me. I bit back on my lip again and slipped my feet back into my shoes. Prince Jaison stood up after everyone was done and announced it was now time for the first elimination.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:47 am
TheCrimsonLady says...

Anastasiya

I wake up from my nap with a gasp. A cold sweat has drenched my skin, but I can't remember what I was dreaming about. The walls and closed door seem oppressive, suddenly, but I take deep breaths to steady myself. The plush mattress feels soft underneath me, and I bounce, giggling a bit. One of my maids- Aroline, I think her name was- smiles.

"I'm glad you're awake, Miss. It's nearly time for dinner!" She gestures to a deep purple dress that has a halter top, and I finger the satin fabric, smiling a little.

"Makeup first, Miss." Raegan sits me down at the table and applies the cosmetics. When I look at myself in the mirror, I look like a different person. My skin glows, almost, and looks like soft cream. The purple sets off my hair and eyes, and the pearl chains suit it perfectly. Half of my hair as been swept up into a bun, and the rest hangs over my left shoulder, falling in soft curls to my waist. A band of pearls encircles the bun, and a strand falls into my hair. Finally, I get the put on the dress. It feels like cool water against my legs and I spin, laughing. My maids hurry to ix any stray locks that might have escaped, and thanking them, I join the crowd of girls heading down to the dining room. We all sit at two long table. The royal family is nowhere to be seen. A pit of nerves tangles in my stomach, and I gulp nervously.

One of the girls approaches a curtain. Prince Jaison's little brother steps out from behind it, but quickly goes back. Most of the girls glare at her, but I smile. Just as I go back to staring at the ground anxiously, the prince bursts in, yelling, "I got you!"

We all stare at him, and he blushes, still holding Prince Harrison. "Excuse me, ladies." His eyes seem to pick over the crowd, and I stand taller. "It's just that Harrison here likes to play games." They exchange a smile, and hope wells up inside of me. Prince or not, if he loved his little brother that much... we had one thing in common, didn't we? I study him again, this time with a smile.

The king and queen walk in, and we all take our places for dinner. The food is amazing, but I don't eat much. I'd been stealing food like this- jewelry like I was wearing- and it dawns on my with horror.

Was I already changing that much?

Eventually, though, I enjoy the food. There are plates of fruit, heaps of meat- and I hep myself. The royal family looks over us and talks amongst themselves. I smile at the girl next to me.

"The food's great, isn't it?"

She nods her agreement, and I go back to eating. I look up when I feel a pair of eyes on my out of habit and meet Prince Jaison's gaze. He doesn't break eye contact immediately, so I cock an eyebrow like I would to any other person. I regret it almost immediately, but don't let it show. Finally, smiling, he looks away, taking a sip of his drink. The girl on the other side of me snorts, and I look over. What's your problem, then? I probably just destroyed any chance I had.

Prince Jaison stands as we all start to finish. "It is time to announce the first elimination." The lump of nerves that had disappeared appears in my stomach, and I suddenly wish I hadn't eaten so much.
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Diana

Diana slept like a bairn. Her dreams were a mingle of thoughts and ideas from the past few days, the float, the other girls...
Her family.
"Miss, wake up miss!"
It was the smallest maid, the one with the sqeakiest voice. Diana woke reluctantly, trying to shake her head from her dream induced state.
"What time is it?" she asked her maid.
"Fiveish, Lady Montana."
Diana could see the other two maids standing nervously behind the first. "Please, none of this "Lady Montana," "miss." I'm called Diana. And I'm terribly sorry, but I still don't know your names."
"Maisie, mi~ erm, Diana." Said the smallest, with a curtsy.
"And I'm Margaret," said the tallest, who wore her hair in a bun, "and this is Alicia," she said, indicating the third and final maid, whose long blonde hair flowed down to her waist.
"Brilliant," said Diana, "how long do we have before dinner?"
"A couple of hours," Maisie said, "but we'll need half an hour to get you ready."
That left Diana one and a half hours. It was plain. Very ornamentally so, but plain. Nothing of interest.
Diana looked up at the maids. They were still standing, almost to attention, nervously. "I'm not keeping you!" Diana said. "Go and do maid-y things to your heart's content."
They scurried off, leaving Diana with the room to herself. One and a half hours.
Diana went to the corner where her baggage had been dumped. There is was, right on top of the pile. Her melodian.
Diana unpacked it carefully, checking all over the woodwork, to make sure it hadn't been damaged in transit. She ran her fingers over the reed box, feeling the slight indentations of the poker work. Diana knew her melodian inside out, quite literally, considering the number of repairs she had given it, oncr even practically remaking the entirety of the bellows. She felt comfortable with it. People were complicated, there was no knowing what they might do if you do the wrong thing. But Diana knew exactly what would happen when she was playing her melodian, she knew exactly how every voice and button worked, not only that, but knew the whole key system (DG with extra accidentals and base keys,) worked: She would do, she made it.
Without warning she began to play, quite quietly at first, a slow French waltz, her fingers flowing over the buttons, elegently but sure and decisive. She closed her eyes, and swayed with the music, not particularly caring how the music changed accidentally quite smoothly from waltz to waltz. Soon she started playing a song her father her taught her, and started singing automatically.
A knock at the door made her start, and she stopped suddenly. What if it was someone complaining about the noise? She hurriedly put the instrument back in its case, amd called to the person who had knocked.
"Come in!"
The door opened silently, and Maisie poked her head round the door.
"Thank goodness!" exclaimed Diana, "You gave me a cannie fright!"
"Um, miss..." Maisie began.
"Please Maisie," Diana interrupted, "call me Diana."
"O.k, um, Diana. It's time to get ready Diana."
"Is it!" Diana looked at the clock, (a flush minimalistic piece,) and indeed it was. "O.k. then, let us prepare my wonderfulness." Diana giggled.
The maids refreshed Diana's make-up, a process that Diana did not understand in the slightest, and put her into a new dress, which Diana thought slightly sad.
"Why can't I just stay in that one?"
Alicia looked flabbergasted, before patently explaining the different types of dresses required on different occasions. Diana didn't understand a word, but was more than happy with the new dress Alicia presented her. It turned out Maisie was the makeup and hair expert, Alicia knew all about clothing, (and, as she told Diana, actually made some for the palace,) and Margaret looked after, well, everything.
The new dress was splendid. it was almost floor length, but not quite, playing around her ankles. It was all very slick, but quite wonderful, in black and white, with a definite predominance of the latter. Diana gazed at in in wonder... She'd never seen anything so elegant, let alone worn it.

Dinner was fabulous. Diana walked down to the dining hall-with the help of Maisie, there is no way she could remember all those corridors and junctions herself-where she saw the assorted ladys, all radiant and elegent in their new apparel, milling slightly.
All of a sudden a man ran into the room, and grabbed the curtain, yelling "I GOT YOU!"
The whole room falls silent immediately, and Diana's heart jumped to her throat. This was the Prince. He apologised to the assembled company immediately, but Diana couldn't help but wonder, is this what the Prince was really like? You know, really like?
The King and Queen entered, and everyone sat down. Diana could not decide who out of the royals was the most interesting. She scrutinised each in turn. but soon her question was answered for her: Food was most definitely the most interesting object in Diana's field of vision.
Diana had inhaled five Yorkshire puddings before she realised she should probably eat more daintily, and, also not as much, if she wanted to stay skinny. Heaven only knew how much exercise she'd be getting in her new lifestyle. Diana slowed her food intake right down, painful though it was, being sat in front of such a delicious array. Rather like dying of thirst at sea, Diana thought. Water water everywhere, and all the boards did shrink... Now where did I get that from?
To distract herself, Diana glanced up at the Prince. To her horror, she saw him looking at another girl! Diana was shocked, then admonished herself for how frightened she realised she had been. She didn't want to be competitive. Anyway, he was probably looking at everyone. She glanced up again, stealing herself.
And the Prince looked at her. Diana blushed massively, her cheeks turning a bright red, and she looked down at her plate. Brilliant Diana, talk about first impressions. That was a right mess.
But her train of thought was interrupted, as the Prince tapped on his crystal glass with his knife, and stood up. The table fell silent.
"I am about to make the first elimination."
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:06 pm
elysian says...

Prince Jaison

There were no words to explain the emotions running wild in my stomach. To think, someone in that very room would be my Queen, my wife. Someone beautiful, intelligent, and proper. Just like my mother. My mother makes a perfect Queen, and my dad was very smart picking her as his Queen. He told me that he wasn't exactly in love with her when he selected her, that he had not completely fallen in love with anyone there. But that my mother was the best match for his kingdom. He grew to love her.

I did not expect to fall in love with anyone yet. I only expect casual but proper chatting, walks around the castle. I expected beautiful women with the most proper stature and personality. Someone that would mother my children and love my country.

Amongst all these feelings I did not forget about the game I was playing with my little brother. He always was the game playing type, and I usually enjoyed playing with him. It's the only time I get to pretend I don't have everything to do in the world, that I don't have to choose my wife soon, and that I won't rule an entire land in the next few years.

My mother squeezed my hand and smiled and my father patted my back as we neared the door where my future wife waited silently. The only thing I really understood about love and dating was what I saw of my parents. Nothing too intimate, I've only seen them share a kiss on the lips once. Mostly, they properly held hands and kissed one another's fingers or cheeks.

I knew the young Prince would be hiding somewhere in the diner, and when I turned the corner and saw his blonde hair behind the curtain, I ran out, yelling. It was only after I had made a fool of myself that I remembered the room full of potential Queens.

Laughter rang out from a beautiful girl at the end of the left side of the table. She was very beautiful, her smile enhancing her beauty. Usually, that would be considered rude, and improper. But I guess I had just burst in the room and yelled like a lunitic, so I smiled at her, her laughter made me happy. The other girls mostly glared, and I understood why.

"Excuse me ladies," I said, still slightly smiling at the girl on the left, "It's just that Harrison here likes to play games." I looked at every girl at the table. 34 girls, only one will be my wife.

I sat down with my parents, and dinner was served. Some of the girls sat silently, some talked with the girls next to them quietly, about this or that. I studied each of them, trying to think of one thing that makes them specific.

My most trusted advisers sat closest to me, on my right was Kaleb, sort of like my brother. I trusted his word more than my mother's or father's. Next to Kaleb was a girl with light brown hair, freckles, and blue eyes. She was fairly pretty. Then there was a girl with dark, chocolate brown hair, which I liked, and her eyes matched. She was beautiful too, which, everyone there was. Next to her was a girl with very big brown eyes, and and almost a look to her that screamed "knowledge". Next to her, was a petite girl with hair like an orange flame. She looked almost breakable. After, another girl with orange hair, which seemed common in about four girls in the room. She had bright blue eyes that you could just see into and feel okay. Next to her a blonde, with green eyes and light freckles all over. She look uninterested in what was going on around her. Next to her somewhere between red and blonde was a girl that refused to eat, she looked like she would break if you touched her. After that A brilliant red haired girl with the look of adventure on her face.

On the other side of the table, there were three girls that almost looked like they were siblings, but I knew they couldn't be. Only one person per province could be picked. But they looked uninteresting so I skipped over them. After them the girl that couldn't stop laughing when I first came in caught my attention. She was smiling, trying to talk to other girls. Mostly she just observed, and when she realized I was looking at her, she blushed but looked down in smiled. I looked away quickly, not wanting to make it obvious I was looking at everyone, figuring out who should stay or who should go in my first elimination.

Next to her was a rather quirky looking girl. She had big eyes and her lips seemed to make an "o". She seemed interesting though. Next, was a rather naturally beautiful looking girl with black hair. Next to her, a tan, sweet, sunny looking girl. She smiled, no matter what she was doing. Talking, sitting, eating. Last, a girl with black hair and almost black eyes it seemed. She looked vague but interesting. I sighed. This wouldn't be easy.

I cleared my throat, and stood up. My decisions had been made. "It's time for the first elimination."

Many of the girls looked shocked, frightened even. "The names I call will be saying. The names I don't call will not." I made sure to study their placement name cards.

"Isaline Porter, Ariel Morelle, Sylvania Etinuse, Basil Barie, Anastasiya Romanov, Diana Montana, Emma Wright, Teslynn Jolee, Jessie Carlenne, Vera Clawthorne, Emily Dent, Samantha Lynn, Beatrice Miller, and Carrey Rose. The rest of you will be escorted back home. Thank you." I walked out of the room with that.
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

“If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned mostly about trees.”
— Lao Tzu