Young Writers Society

The Coup [Started/Not Accepting]

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:27 pm
r4p17 says...

History(updated):

Spoiler! :
For years the kingdom of Pjana (pronounced pijänuh) has lived in relative peace; but now a pact of nobles is rising up against the emperor. The coup has stirred up the townspeople of Pjana city to begin rioting. All is chaos and confusion.

The reason the for the evil nobles rebellion is that their leaders family was killed by the emperors father in a dynastic conflict. The evil noble's soldiers are also asking for more money. This has led them to ally with the king of Nichana who has promised to give them money to pay their soldiers. In return they have agreed to rebel!

Plot:

Spoiler! :
This storybook will tell the story of what happens to the insane emperor of Pjana and his companions. It will be filled with peril and adventure. The beginning is right in the middle of the coup during an attempt to kidnap the emperor and will go on from there! The emperor does have a son but he is with the army in a camp a weeks ride to the north and his wife is dead from a disease. (Oh and in case you haven't guessed this is pretty much a fantasy version of medieval Japan

Character Template:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Physical Description:[/b] (If possible try to get a picture but if not describe them).

[b]Personality[/b]

[b]Rank/Occupation:[/b]

[b]History:[/b] (The last two are optional! though try to do one or the other).

[b]Other:[/b]

Character Slots:

Spoiler! :
Emperor - (It is up to you whether you get killed or not, though other people can capture you). (NPC unless anyone wants to play him)
Emperor's son - (If you play this character you might not be able to post immediately since you are away from the action). @megsug
Chief Shinobi - @r4p17 (I am the emperor's Chief Advisor as well)
Shinobi 3 - @Kanome
Samrui Chief - (Aka the kings Chief bodyguard). @Kelpies
Samrui 2 - @megsug
Samrui 3 - @r4p17
General of Samrui - (Could be evil)? @TimmyJake
Evil Noble 1 - (Commander of bad dudes). @KatyaElefant
Evil Noble 2 - @Noelle
Evil Assassin - @Wolfare1
Evil Assassin - @dragonfphoenix
Foreign Emperor - (Slot is only played a good deal after storybook's start).

NPC's:

The Imperal Doctor, Ukami
Sakami the chief diplomat
Koroto the elder. - (He is the baker who might join the assassins for price).

All the slots are full! If you really want to join, PM me and I will consider it. I may or may not let you join so don't be surprised if I say no.

Other:

Once we have a good number of people we will start. I am looking to have at least 6-8 people before we get going. You may use NPC's since there will be a good number of people surrounding the emperor though try not to add to many or else it will make things too confusing. If you have any questions please give me a holler in the DT or PM me. Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by r4p17 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:37 pm
erilea says...

Where did you mention me? The notifications said you did.
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:58 am
Noelle says...

wisegirl22 wrote:Where did you mention me? The notifications said you did.

It's above in the character slots spoiler. He tagged you to say which character you are.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

179 Reviews

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:45 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

~Sui Kioshio~ ~Palace's royal gardens and emperor's chamber~ Late Evening Day One~

Spoiler! :
As I have said in the rules section, keep things PG-13, post once a week, make your posts a decent length, and eat you veggies. Also try to include the name of your character along with the location/time above your posts. That would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I walk down the long row lined with plants. Each one had its own unique smell and texture. I breathe in the fragrant smells as I sit on the bench. It is a peaceful quiet night. It is a little bit cool, but that is to be expected in the early spring. The temperatures hovered around fifty earlier that day before dropping about ten degrees to where it is now this evening. I wrap the folds of my cloak tighter around myself before tying my sash.

Gazing up at the sky I can see all the stars of the galaxy clearly. There is little light to obstruct the view. The stars can be seen shining brightly. I reflect on the beauty of the universe. A little off to the right I can see the Star of the East: Shiko. The "i" is long. It appears to be about an foot wide, much larger than most. Most of the astronomers in the emperor's court believe that it is at the center of our solar system. [There is no Sun]. I silently wish that I could feel its warmth right now.

After sitting for several minutes with the blank page of my journal lying flat on my lap I turn to it and pick up my pen trying to recall what I have done in the past sixteen hours.

Just then a servant runs past me with no warning straight toward the gates. That is strange. I guess I should probably go and follow him. Reluctantly I set my pen and journal down and start running after the man yelling for him to stop. The man pauses momentarily. His brown skin is almost as white as the westerners. I can tell that something more than I can imagine has gripped his heart in fear. I stand there for a moment and hold his gaze into his eyes reading death. He is about to turn and run but I call after him.

"Stop!" I say urgently. "What is the matter? What makes you so fearful man?" Is Kurenai in a fit?

"It is them! They have come here! They are in the emperor's chamber! They will kill him!"

"What! Who's the "they". Why do they want to kill Kurenai." I inquire. The man shakes his head and whimpers before collapsing onto the cobblestone with an arrow in his throat!

"Ai!" I shout leaping back and drawing my steel katana. Looking around I can see none but the usual guards making their rounds. The one above me pauses, but he doesn't say anything.

Who would dare try to face the emperor? Hidou! Kurenai's brother. He must be here. If he isn't he is most certainly behind this all! I have to get back! Why did Okami choose to take this night off? He will already be asleep by now! Should I wake him? No! Now I must be swift!

Without any further delay I dart off the wide road leading up to the interior of the emperor's palace. My objective is to reach Kurenai's chambers. I march double up the road ignoring the half dozen guardsmen who attempt to pull me over or ask me where I am going. I run pell mell through a checkpoint and break hard right heading strait toward the emperor's chamber's. There I can see an overturned lamp stand. No human is in sight though. At last I slow my pace to a walk as I come and find that the paper screen door that is always in place is completely torn to shreds. What a mess it is in here. Whoever came here was intent on breaking in here as fast as they possibly could!

"Halt!" A man dressed in a black robe shouts. The robe leaves his hairy chest exposed. I can see blood trickling down it from his left shoulder. However he holds a smooth recurve bow in his hand and he has it pointed at me. I can only imagine the pain that it is causing him!

"Who's there?" A raspy voice yells from behind a dresser." I instantly recognize the voice belongs to my emperor Kurenai the Gallant. To most though he is know by his other title, Kurenak the insane. He was born with a mental disability and only narrowly managed to take the throne from his brother, the father of Hidou.

"I said who is it?!" He asked. I promptly heard a thudding sound and saw another man walk out.

"It's Sui your majesty." I reply, still grasping my katana firmly in my hand.

"Sui! Who's that. Never heard of him." The man stumbled out from behind the dresser like a drunk and collapsed onto the floor as he was struck by the second man who had a bow staff.

"How dare you strike the emperor!" I shout as I leap onto the bed charging the man. An arrow flies through the air glancing off of my helmet. I chide myself inwardly for forgetting the first man.

In an instant however I am on top of the second man and trampling over him. The other man cries out in fury. And leaps forward. I tumble to the ground and battle to stay conscious. Just then a hear the soft but firm voice of Giruna.

"Don't you dare make a move! If you do I will shoot you with this bow!" She says. After that I fade into unconsciousness.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 am
View Likes
Noelle says...

Taro
His castle, early morning
Two days earlier

I lay down my sword, exhausted from the morning's hard training. The assassins aren't going to learn all by themselves; I have to teach them at one point or another. The particular fellow I sparred with this morning, his name slips my mind, isn't all that handy with a sword. I'm trying to help him along. He'll get it soon.

"That's enough for now," I say, handing my sword off to a servant who had been watching. "I expect you here at noon to finish our training. That is all." I turn on my heel and head back into the castle. It's nearly time for breakfast and my stomach is rather enjoying reminding me of my hunger.

It doesn't take me long to get to the dining room. It's just up the stairs and to the left. There's a massive amount of food on the table, much more than I could ever eat. Whatever I don't finish though, my servants will.

Just as I'm about to start piling food onto my plate, I remember her. Calling over a servant I say, "Tell Akemi that food is ready. She'll be in the main room no doubt." The servant nods and hurries.

Akemi is the little sister of a boy that I had been trying to recruit for quite some time. He kept resisting and I was starting to get frustrated. Lucky for me, the two of them stumbled upon my castle one day. It didn't take long for me to convince the girl to trust me. Then once her brother came along, he was willing to do anything to keep her safe.

So I got the boy I had so heavily recruited.

It's taking much longer than I thought for the servants to return with Akemi, so I start on my breakfast. There's too much food to choose from so I just grab whatever's close to me, which happens to be a ripe apple.

"Oh, food!"

I look up to see Akemi bounding into the room. Her dark brown hair flying out behind her. I can't help but smile. That girl never fails to lighten my spirits.

"You're very cheerful this morning." I say, taking a bite of my apple.

"I am," she responds, estatically. "I had such a great dream last night. It was all about--well, I forget now, but it was wonderful! And then I got up early enough to watch the sun rise. Oh, did I tell you about--"

"Sir?" a servant says, entering the room. I turn my attention to him and see his face turn red. "Sorry to interrupt, but you've received a letter. From Hidou."

My heart drops. That can only mean one thing. "Would you excuse me, Akemi. I'll return soon." I place my napkin on the table and hurry out of the room. It's not until then that the servant gives me the note.

We begin soon. Send me your best. Two days.

That's all it says. In the hands of anyone else, this note wouldn't make any sense. But to me, I know exactly what's going on.

The coup; it's starting.

I nonchalantly fold the paper and grip it tight in my grasp. "Send for a messenger. I need Masaru here as soon as possible. If he's not here by sunset, I won't be happy."

The servant turns and rushes down the hallway. When he's out of sight, I open the note again and read it until the words become fuzzy. I knew that this was coming, but I was convinced that it wouldn't happen any time soon.

I head back into the dining room and take my place at the table. "Well, Akemi, it seems we'll be seeing your brother very soon." She squeals and claps her hands, launching into a long stream of stories that I'm really not interested in. But I humor her and pretend I'm listening.

I just hope Masaru gets here quick. I have a lot to say to the boy.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:47 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Spoiler! :
So sorry it's a bit long. I like details :3 Towards the bottom is the 'pick up' from the first post.

Masaru Kawaguchi
~Rice Farm – Early Morning – Two Days Earlier~

Usually townspeople don’t come up the hill to my house, especially not at this hour. It’s barely dawn and the light of day has just started to peak over the horizon, but a man still stands at the foot of the small incline that leads to the fields. I’m not sure if he has spotted me yet, but if he hasn’t already, he probably never will. His attire suggests he is a merchant, though that part doesn't link in my mind as to why he'd be here; I’ve made it plenty clear to those merchants of the town that I want nothing to do with them or their products. Thus I conclude this man is a traveling one.

With a sigh, I continue my work of carefully pulling weeds from between the rice plants. As the day’s light spreads farther across the land, the man standing there casts a long shadow, especially with the straw hat placed on his head. If he needs something from me he would come up here, not just stand there like a statue. From my position, I can’t make out his face, but something about his build seems familiar to me.

Instantly, I shove the thought away. It’s just some man, no one I could know. Anyone I’ve ever cared for is gone, and some ‘familiar man’ isn’t going to change that. Wiping beads of sweat off my forehead, I concentrate on the task at hand, blocking any rogue memories that threaten to pop into my head. Surprisingly only moments later, he picks up a small sack brought with him and trudges back down the hill to the town.

A small part of me is curious about him, wishing to know what his business was or why he'd waste his time early in the morning coming up here. Though, I don't bolt after him, and the only sign of interest I give is straightening up to watch him leave. There's a slight hobble in his step, something which could originate from all kinds of problems. Even just a weaker leg...

My throat tightens. It can't be him. But it is, isn't it. My father's decided to finally pay me a little visit. Lucky for him, I haven't forgotten how he abandoned the family.

I work well into the midmorning, insuring that the task contains my full attention. As expected, I finish almost half an hour earlier than usual. My grandfather always said I worked harder when I was distressed. Well then again, he'd also say under the right circumstances I'd become some kind of monster when aggravated. Maybe the saying came from when I was younger, before she died.

Too entranced in thought, I don't realize that I've pulled one weed too hard, uprooting a perfectly good rice plant with it. It's smaller than the rest of them, but I still curse myself for becoming so clumsy. Exactly what I get for dwelling on past experiences.

This little rice field of mine stretches out for barely half a mile, yet it's a pain to have to go around each day, checking each plant. Still, gazing across at it brings me a sense of accomplishment. If my grandfather were here to see this, he'd be proud of what I've done.

Mud coats my hands, along with another coat of sweat underneath the grime. It can also be felt running down my neck, probably drenching the back of my shirt. Placed beside the entrance to the house is a small, marble water basin Granddad built along with the rest of the home and plotting the fields. Tossing the bundle of weeds into a box shoved up against the wall, I stick my hands into the lukewarm water.

Memories continue of my family to haunt me, especially of Akemi, and an old heartache returns like normal. Before all this, whenever Granddad and I returned from the fields, Akemi would stand beside us, happily chattering away. Her perkiness always put a warm feeling in my heart, but with her gone, the house had a longing silence. With all her innocence and sweetness, she left a void that can't be filled.

Shaking my head, I pull myself back into the real world. She's probably safer now... with him, more so than before when he was hunting me down. In the end everything will work out.

After spending a couple minutes scrubbing the muck from the creases in my hands, I prepare to head inside and grab a quick breakfast. Though, an instinct tells me something is amiss. Cautiously turning around, I notice the man is back. However, now he walks up the hill, eyes trained on me. Out of sheer curiosity, I go to meet the man, hoping it's not who I assumed.

Once he reaches the top of the incline, we stand about sixty feet apart from each other. The tension between us is so thick, I could probably scoop it out of the air.

Mere seconds later, he speaks, "Masaru?" His voice is thick and husky. Just like I remember it. A white brace is wrapped around his left leg, which isn't new, besides the fact that it isn't hidden.

"Oh, so you're not dead," I reply almost casually, coating the words in subtle venom. A look of hurt flashes in his eyes, but he quickly recovers, holding my piercing glare. Having grown since his last visit, I stand taller than him now, by almost a head.

Barely anything has changed, besides the tips of his hair being more gray-ish. He's still quite large, having quite a bit of excess fat on his stomach and limbs. The usual shaggy, black hair hangs limply on his head, along with cold brown eyes.

After another minute of taking each other in, he smiles, spreading out his arms. "It's been so long, son!"

Turning a cold shoulder, I shrug, not even bothering to reply. He calls after me as I walk back to the house, clearing trying to hide the agitation from his voice.

"How's the family been? I see the farm's prospering."

"Yes, and with no help from you."

Once again, he falls silent. Sadly, it doesn't last as long as before. His question forces me to stop in my tracks.

"Where's Akemi?"

Turning around slowly, I look him straight in the eyes. Now, I don't try to hide my frustration with him.

"For seven years, you've completely neglected the family in a time when we needed you most. Akemi especially. In that tender time when we lost our mother, we needed that strong make figure to protect us, comfort us. But you weren't there. No, heaven forbid Iwao even try to think of someone other than himself.

"Now you even have the nerve to think that 'now that your back' things will be fine and the rifts will heal with a snap of a finger? You have no idea what you've missed."

It's finally out. The feelings I've been holding back for so long have been let out for him to hear. Clenching my fists, I turn to head back to the house before he can respond. Usually anger isn't a problem for me, but somehow my father has that uncanny ability to set me off.

"I didn't neglect you and Akemi, Masaru," he spits, "In case you didn't notice, I came back to check on you, make sure you're alright."

"Well, it would've been better for both of us if you'd had abstained."

"What about your grandfather? Why isn't he out on the fields with you?"

At that, my grandfather's screams that night reverberate through my skull, causing me to stop mid-stride and almost shiver. Can't he get the hint? Taking a deep breath, I continue towards the house. It doesn't matter to him what happened then.

He follows me back to the house, thankfully silently. With his bad leg, he struggles to keep up, and quite often lags behind. Not that I care, it's somewhat interesting to me though. Possibly the leg only gets weaker as his life goes on.

Immediately inside the door is the kitchen. Hunger gnaws at my stomach, but I seem to have lost my appetite. Iwao hobbles into the tiny kitchen, staring all around. There's not much to look out, since Granddad isn't usually a man of change, and I haven't wanted to change anything since I took over.

"It seems kind of quiet here," he comments suspiciously.

As my stomach rumbles again, I give into the urge and snatch up a pear. Ignoring his comment, I swiftly brush it off out of habit and bite off a chunk. His eyes narrow at me.

"I didn't expect you to stoop so low," he finally growls.

Honestly confused, I raise an eyebrow at him and snap, "You're one to talk."

"You killed them, didn't you." When the words come out of his mouth, I nearly choke on the mouthful of pear. So now he's making accusations; great way to go about things.

"I've heard all about that interest in weapons that you had when I started traveling. When'd you finally get fed up with them?"

"Now you listen here," I hiss, "If you seriously think I would even think about laying a hand on Akemi, you've gotten hit on the head too hard somewhere. If you'd been here you would've known that. You also would've known Daichi died fighting for us to escape when the house was raided.

"It's no secret that I'm good with a blade, and it's true that I can stomach killing someone. But never would I touch my family, which is a category you, Iwao, don't fall into."

That eerie silence invaded again, and I'm thankful for it. Controlling my breathing, I try to calm down a bit. It's been a while since I last got all riled up like this. Though, the same can't be said for Iwao. Flames of rage burn in his eyes, and he stands rigid, trying to find what to say next.

"You've changed, Masaru."

"It's called life."

Another moment of silence. I'm starting to get fed up with him just standing here. There are many other better things I can be doing right now.

"Who's that?"

"What?" Swiftly, I spin around. Sure enough, in the hall there is an older boy, probably sixteen, poking his head in the entrance of the hallway.

"I-I've been sent to bring Masaru to Master Taro," the boy says sheepishly.

"Taro...," I mutter under my breath. Why now, why today? Of all days it has to be when Iwao comes back? And I didn't think the next time I would see Akemi is until next month. So if that's the case then... I can feel the color drain from my face.

Iwao makes me snap out of my thoughts, "Master Taro? Who might this be?"

Suddenly, I just want him gone. For good. Instinctively, I reach for my dagger and unsheathe it.

I turn back to him and say evenly, "Get out."

He looks taken aback, "You're telling me to-."

"Yes, get out. I want you to leave and never return if you know what's good for you." Without lunging forward, or even morning anything except my arm, I extend the dagger out, showing him I mean my threat.

Fear spreads through his eyes. At first, he looks as if he's about to make another comment but thinks better of it. With one last glare, he stumbles out of the little house.

Without even bothering to look at the messenger, I ask, "What does he want?"

"I don't know," he replies, his voice shaking. "I just was given the instructions to have you back by sunset."

"Make sure he left," I sigh. "I'll be ready in ten minutes."

As the boy turns to go back to the door, I remember one last thing. "Oh, and I recommend you don't tell Taro about this little episode."

~Emperor's Palace – Late Evening – Day One~

A slender woman stands in the doorway, holding out a drawn long bow. Interesting that they'd let a woman guard the palace, but I guess if they let her in she must have some skill. Just her holding out that bow is pretty impressive.

The man who had just been attempting to attack me now lies on the floor, unconscious. That might help us a little, since there's one less guard to fight. Though, the longer we stand here, the more likely back-up is to come.

Casting a quick glance at Ren, I notice his eyes almost drilling into the woman as he runs his fingers along his bow. Jaw right in concentration, he stands rigid. Tension is a feeling I'm used to, but it doesn't seem the same with Ren.

"Now I want you two to step into the middle of the room," she orders. "Make a wrong move and I will shoot you." She does well hiding the strain in her voice, but not perfectly. The front arm holding the actual bow seems to shake ever so slightly. Seems like the pounds on the weapon is taking a toll on her.

"I said now!" she snaps. Ren exchanges a confused glance with me, but we reluctantly move forward. Possibly she doesn't want to chance hitting the Emperor who still lies on the floor. A slight gleam in Ren's eye makes me think he's debating attacking the woman. She still points the arrows between both of us, keeping everyone at a standstill. Possibly it could work, but teamwork isn't necessarily our strong point. Even knocking out the first man who came in was pure luck.

We stand there for probably only twenty seconds, but the silence around us makes it seem like forever. Soon her arm is even less steady than before, and I can tell now's as good as ever to attack.

Darting forward, I raise the bow staff above my head, hoping to psych her out. It doesn't work as I planned it to, but when she lets go, the arrow whizzes right over my shoulder, barely missing. Ren, following my lead, knocks an arrow, quickly aiming once again.

As I swing the staff to my left, the woman's barely able to dodge right. It's not until my next swing that I'm able to hit her on the top of the shoulder. Nothing fatal, but her knees still buckle underneath her. In the hallway I can hear the pounding of feet. Of course there would be reinforcements.

"Ren, leave her," I hiss. "We have to go."

"But what about the Emperor?"

"There's no time." Without elaborating more, I sprint out into the hall, hoping the guards are coming from the other direction. Luckily, Ren's footsteps are apparent behind me, so we run on. I can only imagine how he thinks of me as a coward for running away, but if he wants to think that, fine by me. Not sure about him, but I'd prefer not to die on a mission I didn't even want to come on.
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:43 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

Aero Dekkitin | One day before Day One | Midday

I kneel before my emperor, hands folded and eyes downcast to avoid seeing the face of the god. Just another rule. One I must follow, even if my emperor is a mad man, even if I must betray him for another.

(Wait. Forget I told you that. This is supposed to remain a secret until later.)

Just another day. He talks rapidly, his words slurring together in a maniac babble that he assumes I understand. A sword lies in his sweaty palm—mine. One that he pulled from my belt to inspect for cleanliness and the sharpness of the blade. Yet another sign that my emperor’s mind has failed him. One does not become a warrior from rusty blades, but from meticulous care of every part of being a Samrui.

(Mine is sharp enough to cleave you in two without trying.)

“Do you even realize what is going on, my noble general?” He has returned my sword, holding the blade out to me like he expects me to grasp it—cutting myself to the bone in an instant. Instead, I carefully reach out and grasp the hilt without touching his sacred hands. It is a simple blade, but perfect in almost every way. Crafted by my own hand for my own use, it has my mark on every aspect. The weight ratio, balanced just right so my swings are truly effortless. The curve of the blade, specially crafted straighter than most. The grips on the hilt, molded to fit my fingers. Everything built to fit me, and me only. “People are talking. Whispering. They say that I am not fit for my duties.” He giggles uncontrollably. “Just because I like noodles doesn’t mean I cannot be your emperor!”

I bit my lip, restraining the words that rush forward in a sudden impulse to agree with those people. “You are my emperor, my king—everything in this land belongs to you.” I raise my gaze so that I see his chin—pointed and sickly. Even the color of his skin embodies the infection lurking in his mind. Pallid and yet having a greenish hue. “Those people only wish for their own self-gratification.” Saying those words, and not what I truly feel, is difficult. Almost impossible.

(Ever think something you know you cannot say, but want to with every part of your mind?)

I want to scream out that he is unfit to be our leader. That this katana I hold in my hand could split him to the waist, and I would rise up to take his place. That there are more like me who have enough power together to dethrone him. But I keep silent. Those words will only be a hindrance to me right now. Being seen as faithful to my emperor is the best ally I have right now.

He shakes his head, and shoos me away. “You bore me, Aero. Go do some training, lest you become weakened by your old age.”

I bow my head low and kiss the ground at his feet. “I serve you, and you only, my emperor.” The words seem rough and unfit for what I feel, but I force them out—each one seeming a more impossible task than the one before it. “I will prepare for those who may come to challenge you.”

(Don’t remind me that I lie. I only continue this façade because I must.)

And then I rise from my feet, keeping my eyes low, and then walk away—leaving my emperor behind, shaking a fist at the wall.

An empty wall.

Timmy note: If there is anything wrong with this, please let me know. Sorry about the short length. I wasn't really feeling "writey" today, but I knew it was time to post something.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

179 Reviews

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

~Sui Kioshio~ ~Emperor's Chamber and all over the place ;)~ ~Evening of Day One~

When I wake up Sumiko, or rather Mai as she like to call herself, and Okami [I think that is the name she is called by, right?] are kneeling over me. I am sitting up in the emperors chamber. For some strange reason my head is aching terribly. I move my hand and feel dried blood that oozed out of the back of my neck when I was hit by the first man.

"What happened?" I ask, slurring my words together. I hold my hand to my head fighting a wave of dizziness. Mai hushes me and tells me to take it easy.

All of a sudden my memories start hitting me. Like torrents of water. I reach for my sword, but find my sheath empty, it is lying on the floor. I slide over to it and grasp it tightly. Feeling the soft leather heartens me. I feel a wave of adrenaline rush through me and I attempt to stand ignoring the lightheadedness I experience. I lean up against the wall for support. My breathing is heavy and I can barely stand. I can tell that I have lost a good deal of blood due to the nausea.

"Look at me!" I hear a hoarse voice croak. I begin to look up but then remember that it is a great offense to look upon the face of the emperor. When it is uncovered. Another bout of insanity?

"It is against the law of the land to look upon your face, most noble, excellent, Kurenal the Gallant. Do you not remember that I'm not allowed to look upon your face while it's uncovered."

"What?!" He yells, enraged at my disobedience. "Forgit ther stupid CAW!" Now I know he is insane, based on the fact that he is mispronouncing all his words. "Tell all ther Shinoli taw turn owff ther lights! We don't want them erssassins to find us again. Hey woan'f ift we turn owff owl taer lights!" Sui saw the emperor roll his eyes. As he peeked a glance at him. The emperor slouched ove the table and went into a state of incoherence.

"Come! We need to get you to the hospital!" Okami shouted.

"No. I will be fine. Let's get some horses and chase after the assassins! We need to catch them before. They get out of the city they are already out of the palace, most likely!"

I dash out the door and bolt down the hallway toward the stables in instant before they can protest or lift a finger to stop me. I hear the sound of their feet shod den with thick slippers coming after me. I hadn't bothered to take my shoes off, as would normally be polite, beforehand. Within a minute or maybe less I am at the stables.

I run to the stall of a sleek black horse, one of the fastest mounts in the Imperial stables. I take hold of the horses reins and slip them over its neck. The horse is name Airon (Lovely stallion). I am thankful that all the stable hands have already gone to their barracks. Now we can select our horses and ride off without being checked. I don't even bother to saddle Airon.

"Aik!" I exclaim, digging my heals into the horses belly harder than ever before. Mai and Okami dodge out of the way avoiding being trampled by only a few feet. I rein Airon in and wait for them (Mai and Okami) to saddle their horses. In less than a minute we are thundering into the night. We charge though the gates and thunder across the drawbridge. In a few minutes he loop round the castle and head north, the direction that it is most likely for them to head in. Hundreds of soldiers from the towns garrison are already abroad.

"Have you seen the assassins yet?" I ask a lowly officer. He shakes his head.

"I haven't but it is said that two men were seen running toward the east gate that is where I am headed right now." I thank the man and spur my horse on.

Dashing in and out of alleyways we come to one of the main roads and ride furiously down it. A few citizens are about to see what all the commotion is, but many are still in their houses, or for that matter their beds.

My eye detects movement a single man darts out of an alley and runs under the awnings of several shops at the same time another runs across the street and parallels him I chase after him telling my companions to follow the other one.

I pull up sharply as the short man, hardly the size of an older boy dashes away from the palace I follow close behind closing the distance. Just as I come upon him he turns and stoops I pull up and draw my sword. A second later I feel a sting on my head as a sharp pebble enters my forehead. I angrily spur Airon forward and chase after the boy he turns back onto the main road a few seconds later forcing me to turn sharply. My horses' hooves skid and her legs fall out from under her. I am trapped underneath. Pain shoots through all my body. I feel someone dragging me I try to resist but the effort is too much. That is all I can remember before passing out for the second time that night.

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:13 pm
View Likes
Kelpies says...

~Hasu (Okami)~Chasing Sui "all over the place"~Evening of day one and long into the morning.

Really, nobody listens to me.

Of course I could give you a never-ending spiel about how Sui and I are... What would you call it... "Friendly" rivals. Maybe not so friendly but we both work for the same person so I guess that counts. Sui told us to go the other direction. He really doesn't have authority over me but his strategy works, so I go. Apparently they weren't this way because I hear the horses cries in Sui's direction. I charge towards the sound, ears pricking up, sword unsheathed. By the time I got there though, Sui was unconscious, and two assassins were running towards the palace.

I charged, Mai would take care of Sui. I was trying not to make her bleed with the pressure from my spurs. The assassins were already at the palace gate. I mentally scolded myself for not locking the gates. They were inside now. I stood up on my horse, and when we reached the gates, I jumped. I landed in front of the two cloaked figures.

One tried to shoot me, I was planning to get my ears pierced, but I was thinking with a more sterile method. Blood dripping from my ear, I charged. I succeeded in knocking one out with the hilt of my sword before the other one gave me a nasty gash down the side of my leg. Limping badly, I tried another attack. But he was too strong, giving me another rather deep wound on my arm. Unable to use that arm, I was forced to drop one of my swords. This gave him enough time to grab a torch from the wall. He thrust it towards me, I couldn't react fast enough to stop him from igniting my clothes. I rolled around on the palace floor, it burned into my flesh, and the whole world went black.

I awoke in a sick-bed staring up at my colleagues.

"What happened?" I asked.

"The king's gone" Sui told me, hints of both sorrow and blame in his voice.

I tried to get out of bed but let out a yelp when my skin cracked. I fell back into bed, my skin letting out another crack. Bandages had been placed on my arm and leg.

"I have to do something" I said, trying to get out of bed again.

"The only thing you can do is stay here" Said someone I thought was a nurse.

"How am I not dead?"

"Because I saved your life" Said Mai, entering the room.

"Thanks." I said. I was probably not getting any leave again for the rest of my life.

They all left, leaving me to retreat into my own thoughts. Mostly I thought about how the king was an idiot. Partially because I didn't know what the term "insane" meant. I mean, who hired a orphan in the streets to be their personal bodyguard, firing one of the most qualified generals in the business. Oh well, got me food to eat. But I had the feeling that if the king were any less of an idiot, I was about to lose my job.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 am
View Likes
Kanome says...

Kiyo Tasume
Two days before Day One – In the village

Kiyo Tasume, a girl who had nothing, is one of the Shinobi to the Emperor of Pjana. She never believed that she could be part of the royals, serving the emperor and having a place to live. She felt relieved to know that she is now in a home where she can protect those around her, even the village people. She used to be a thief, only because she had nowhere to go. No one to hold her, or even care for her; until the Emperor came alone when she was ten years old, taking her in and providing her with care. She was trained to be a protector of the Kingdom, and its people.

Kiyo was sitting on a bench outside of a tea shop. She noticed two children, sitting alone next to a food cart. The children were covered in dirt and slime, indicating that they were homeless, and possibly orphans. As Kiyo sipped her cup of tea, she stared closely at the children, who seemed to be hungry from the way they were looking at the food cart. “…” She stood silently, walking over to the food cart. She bent down, looking down at the starving children. “Hey there…” The children looked up at her, feeling conflicted of what they should do.

“Here…” Kiyo held out a little bag that contained some gold.

The children hesitantly took the small bag, looking up at the woman who was caring for them.

“T-Thank you, ma’am. Me and my baby sister appreciate this…” One of the children spoke. A boy to be precise.

Kiyo smiled softly as the children went around her, looking up to the food merchant. She looked up at the standing and proud kingdom, as she realized, that she was late for her training session. “Oh no!” She started to run up to the kingdom walls.

As she made it to the castle door, she noticed someone she recognized, who happened to be one of the Samurai , Sui Kioshio. “Not this guy…” Sui saw her running up to the kingdom. He then looked down at her as she stopped in front of him, blocking her way.

“You were in the village helping children again.”

“…”

“I know you were only helping, but you must do your duties as a Shinobi, especially for the emperor.”

“…” Kiyo walked past him, heading inside the kingdom. She then looked up at the castle walls, touching the sheath of her blade, the Cyrank, which she named herself. She knew her duties as a Shinobi, but she knew she had to do was right, which was helping the villagers, no matter what, even though the Emperor was the first priority.

“… Time to train.”

She headed inside the castle, getting ready for her training session.
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu