Young Writers Society

Gatewell Community || Accepting || Closed

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 pm
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

This is a futuristic, mental thriller.

The world has diminished poverty with intelligence and the poor are now decreased to a very limited amount. That said though, the poor often demanded more rights and help, which the government of this country slowly stopped giving them. They felt since they were not going to contribute to the society, they should not be allowed to have benefits.

So,

Instead those who had potential were taken away from the poor areas and put into rich families in order to survive.

Potential

Brilliance
Leadership
Positivity
Strength
Social Skills/Charisma

A simple personality test goes a long way, and through little tests the teens are chosen. Over the years the poors have been tested and whenever someone with true potential comes up they are chosen. There are about fifty kids ages (15-17) that are chosen and sent to the community in the "upper area". Each state has their own community, and in the state of this story the community is called Gatewell.

This is some time in the future, but there will be no specific year needed nor used. There are some enhances in technology, think better gadgets, homes are operating themselves. No flying cars or anything extreme.

Storyline and Plot:

Gatewell Community, is all about the poor having to learn to be "rich". It is a community (more like small town) where some of the richest of the rich live.

The suburban community tend to foster these poor children and bring them up to get rid of the thoughts of their poverty and bring to light their opportunity and train them to be brilliant.

Those who live in Gatewell consider it an honor, but after ten years, a family must move out no matter how rich they are. And only 25 year old married couples are allowed to move in.

There is one odd house in the whole community, odd because it is small and odd because it is covered with barbed wire and security. This house belongs to the Chancellor. The Chancellor gives orders and plans events that happen in the community. (I'll play the Chancellor.) If a child tries to leave the community and go back to visit their former family, they sometimes are sent to the chancellor and people say they never come out the same.

It can tend to be strange living a whole different life away from your original one almost pretending to be someone else, but it's weirder with some of the people you grew up with. Not to mention that it can be weird living in a society where you are meant to forget your past, and become a completely different person.

Once the kids are 18 and have graduated from high school they are allowed to leave the Gatewell Community, but they are warned not to go back to their homes.

There is a school called Gatewell Academy, all of the teenagers go to that school. It is an all ages school, but there are two separate buildings for primary and secondary. The rich children are of all ages, and the majority of the population (only fifty poor).

Every month there is some kind of huge event or challenge.

The Chancellor announces it, and examines the poor to see if they are responding to it. The goal of the Chancellor is to eventually brainwash the kids and make sure they not only forget about their past, they hate it. For them to wake up one morning and not know who they were, but only know who they are. Suddenly they want to do things they never thought they would ever do. The whole world has been so cooperative with their jobs and everything, is it possible there's a conspiracy?

The event/challenge helps the Chancellor know who's still holding on to their former beliefs and who's moving on, or at least, who's pretending to.

Your character can choose to let go and forget, or to fight back and try to figure out what's going on with their lives.

Main Characters/Character Slots:

Ashley Markson 17 - A poor person who lives in the poor side of the country, she is smart and has good leadership skills. She’s a “loner” doesn't have any friends, is trying to find a way to make enough money to live each day. She often hangs out with an old lady near her tiny apartment. She is still in high school graduating that year. African American.

Judd Rake 45 – He is one of the parents fostering Ashley. He's lived as a rich his whole life, lives in the community. He's quite overly confident. A mix of different heritages, caucasian.

Marlyn Rake 44 – His wife, the other parent. She's a calm person, she believes in poise. Caucasian.

Marlyn and Judd have two children they are minor characters.

13 years old Marley (girl) and 10 years old, Pete (boy).

(Taken by Skydreamer)

Martin James 17– [male] He goes to the same highschool as Ash and is also poor, he knows about a group that sells weed in order to survive and is almost convinced to join them, Right before he gets chosen. He's a brilliant kid but more in the street smarts way, he's also good with tech. Hispanic American.

(Taken by @Auxiira)

Blake Galey 16 - [male] Friend of Martin, also goes to same high school. He's also good with tech, in fact he's amazing with tech, brilliant. He's also somewhat of a visionary. He believes there's something more to everything. Italian heritage American.

(Taken by @megsug)

*extra*

Tyler Parsons 16 - [female] Someone who knows them all. In fact she seemed to know everybody. She has an amazing memory and great writing skills. She was one of those people who wondered what it would be like to be rich, but she never really wanted to be rich. Asian heritage American.

The following are Creatables, yes I made that word up! xD

Send me or Auxii an idea for one and I'll see if it fits the SB! (Please include three main history points and personality traits of the Character.)

One Rich Female 10-17 - Creatable.

One Poor Male 15-17 - Creatable.

One Rich couple (two chars, less than 50) - Creatable.

Extra chars available if all slots are taken and you really want to join.

\ \ \

Character page code: (Please remove parenthesis when answering, thanks. ^^)

Code: Select all
[center][size=120][i]quote from character eg. "Here we go again..."[/i][/size][/center]
[center]- name of character[/center]

[b]Date of birth: mm/dd, (age), gender[/b]

[b]Poor or Rich:[/b]

[b]Personality/Thoughts:[/b] (include view on the poor/rich)

[b]Behavior/Mannerisms:[/b] (What thing do they do that makes them unique, what's their pet peeve? What makes them smile?)

[b]Character's Fears:[/b] (three top ones)

[b]Visual/Appearance:[/b] (describe what they wear--especially if they're rich; their race and ethnic background)

[b]History and Background:[/b]

[b]Other[/b] (extra)

Thanks for reading and i hope you join!
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett