51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:52 am
View Likes
LordGreenleaf says...

DT: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=101348

Well 'ello there young chaps!

LSMT

LSMT is a school in Westminster, London. It caters the needs of young people aged 15-20 in it's massive campus. Critically acclaimed, it is hard to get a slot in the youth programs there. Your character will be skilled and passsionate in an area of music or musical instrument. LSMT's aim is to nurture the youths talent and get them prepared for a career in music.

How long are they there?

Two years if they are 18 and under.

Do they board?

Your characters must be borders. The boarding campus is next to the actual school and you share a room with one other person. The dorms are quite small but cosy, with a large living room and a bathroom in each room. The facilities are a lot bigger and the classrooms are open and spacious.

What do they do in a normal day?

Schedule:

Spoiler! :
7:30 Breakfast
8:30 Musical Theory
10:30 Private Lessons
12:30 Lunch
1:30 Group Work
3:30 Maths or Bioligy
4:30 English or Advanced literature
6:00 Dinner

Note: Parties are a common occurrence in dorms.

What are the staff like?

The staff are very into music, and teach in a way that's completely different to a normal classroom. The only really uptight teacher is Mr. Reine who teaches musical theory. Mr. Reine is extremely unforgiving when it comes to homework, lateness and just general failure. There is also Ms. Davidson, who most boys have a crush on. Only 23 she moved to England from America and has a permanat and streaky brown hair. She teaches singing.

Big Events?

Every Friday there is a solo performance that a student volunteers to do.

They also have a winter ball in a month or so.

Character Templates

Note: Please don't make your characters cliche. Don't make it about a bullied girl who keeps a 'songbook' and is really inspirational. Keep it real, ok?

Spoiler! :
Name:

Age (between 15 and 20):

Appearance (provide photo):

Personality:

History/Why they're here:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Up For Love:

Character Slots:

Spoiler! :
Female
- Rosaline Synder, thelostone
-Ceridwin Price, ancientforever
-Alice Hart, Judas
-Maria Santiago- Carina
-Sarah Monique Rose- yubbies21
- Reserved, FaerieQueen
-Sarah Monique Rose- yubbies21
-RESERVED catha01
Male
-Reserved, Pamplemousse
- Zaine Matthews, LordGreenleaf
-Shane Warren, Lumi
- Timothy Kastaovichstiensky, Blackwood
-Dorian Virelai- Seraph
-Alric

-

Rules

-Swearing and sex is allowed, though nothing too graphic.
-No cliche characters
-No perfect characters
-Consult people in DT before doing anything radical

Have fun and I'll have the DT up soon!
Last edited by LordGreenleaf on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. - Jim Carey

51 Reviews

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:30 am
View Likes
LordGreenleaf says...

Room Arrangements:
Spoiler! :
Dorm 1: Zaine Matthews and Timothy Kastaovichstiensky
Dorm 2: Dorian Virelai and Damien Green
Dorm 3: Shane Warren and Kyler Poltiers
Dorm 4: Alice Hart and Ceridwen Price
Dorm 5: Rosaline Synder
Dorm 6: Mary Santiago and Lucy Lines

Zaine

The Kooks blasted through my ears as we pulled into the crowded car park. Alex sat in the back, face burrowed into his DS. I could feel Dad's eyes on me as I staggered out into the sunlight. He helped take my bags out of the trunk, handing me them stiffly as if he was a doorman.

Mum got out of the car and pecked me on the cheek, hugging me tighter than she normally does. Dad left me with my bags, not looking back as I walk towards the glass building labelled, Reception.

I couldn't help feeling slightly alone as I heard our car turn on to the main road.

Sighing,I pulled a hand through my hair. I was finally here, staring at the glass and red brick building that some many amazing musicians had come out of. I didn't feel as great as I'd thought I'd feel to be honest. The combination of jet lag and the prospect of unpacking left me no room for excitement.

I walked into the cool reception, wondering if I was really in the right place after all.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:22 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

No matter what the registrar told him, Shane didn't believe that setting up his side of the room was cheating; and to be fair, he'd only slipped up to his room with his things--which were few in number and variety--and unpacked what little he had brought with him. There was always, he'd heard, time for a mini-fridge later.

That said, as Shane stood near the door, bandana wrapped around his sweaty forehead and hands planted on his hips, he suddenly regretted his decision as he realized that he hadn't swiped a key from the registrar.

"Dammit," he snapped, and spent a long moment staring at the enormous cases in the corner containing his cello and bass.

"Okay, you two," he cut, pointing two fingers at the cases, "I don't have a way to protect you today, but I swear to God that if you walk off from me, I will stop polishing you for a whole month."

Cello and Bass did not respond.

Shane prided himself on his powers of persuasion--especially with two as stubborn as Cello and Bass. His older brother's words echoed a tiny bit in his ears as he stared at them, still nervous.

Just engrave your name somewhere. It's not like it'll change the way it sounds.

He hated remembering anything Shaun told him. He hated recalling his advice. More than all else, though, he hated having his brother standing behind him to repeat his advice.

"Just engrave your name somewhere. It's not like it'll change the way it sou--"

"God, Shaun! No, I won't scratch them up. The only part where it wouldn't change the sound quality is on the back of the pegbox."

"I know a few girls I'd like to scratch on the pegb--"

"No, Shaun. Not now." Shane cringed. "Not ever."

Shaun yawned and jingled his keys. "If that's all you need, lil bro, I gotta jam back home. Frank Turner's playing a secret show at Nubby's and all my mates are throwing a pre-party at Stubby's. I figure we'll wrap up the night at Chubby's."

Shane turned to stare at his brother and blink. "Mom and dad are so lucky to have you alone now." He revved up for a second quip, but heard a bell in the distance, signaling 10am--and the start of registration proper. "Blah. Go on. I gotta go sit through several grueling hours of encouragement and praise." Shane shuddered. "Ugh." When he turned to wave to his brother, he was already gone, leaving Shane blinking with his hand held limply in front of him.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:31 am
View Likes
Pamplemousse says...

Damien

I stared at the large, red brick building in front of me as I climbed out of my brother's white Chevy Avalanche.

"Are you sure you aren't going to need your laptop?" my brother asked, walking around the front of his truck to the passenger's side.

"Now that I think about it, I really should have brought it," I admitted, shaking my head at my foolishness. "Could you bring it with you when you come to visit?"

"Well that's going to be kind of hard to do," he stated, walking to the back of the truck.

"Why is that?" I murmured as my brother opened the tailgate and climbed onto the truck bed.

"It's going to be kind of hard to bring you your laptop," he told me, bending down to grab some stuff, "when I have it right here." He lifted up my laptop case and handed it to me with a big smile on his face.

"Oh my gosh, thank you Nathan. You're a life saver," I said, setting my laptop case down next to me.

"I know," he chuckled, handing me a box labled "School Supplies."

"We need to hurry up, I have to be in the Reception building soon," I exclaimed, setting the box down.

----

I walked into the Reception building carrying my most prized possession, my Irish lap harp. Once I had set down my harp next to the few boxes of stuff that I had brought with me, I gave Nathan a big hug, not really wanting him to leave, even though I knew that he had to work in a few hours.

"Make sure to call me tonight, okay?" Nathan mentioned once he got to the door.

"I will," I told him, waving goodbye. "I love you! I'm going to miss you," I admitted.

"I'll miss you as well. Love you too, little brother. Have fun, and please try to make at least one or two friends!" he said as he was walking out the door. I heard the door click shut and I let out a small sigh.

I don't know what I'm going to do without Nathan here, I thought to myself, running up to the door. I tried not to cry as I watched my only friend for so many years drive farther and farther away, until I couldn't see him anymore. After I was finally able to move away from the door, I turned around and made my way towards the door with a sign that read, "Students, Please Enter Here."

I hope Nathan knows that making friends isn't something I'm good at, I pondered in my head as I opened the door and walked into the next chapter of my life.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 am
View Likes
Editor says...

I watch the world go by outside my window. I can tell we are getting close to the school, because even the things surrounding the campus look posh. It's going to take a lot of getting used to, because I've never had a taste of what posh is like. I've never passed by a rich person's house, or even had an expensive meal. My family is pretty poor, like a lot of the other people in my neighbourhood. Every house on the block had at least one room in their house where the roof would leak when it rained. Nobody ever bothered to get it fixed, and so I got used to hearing the steady drip, drop of water and the occasional water drop falling on my head.

The taxi stops in front of a building that seems like it's made like glass. There's a fancy sign with a gold border and lettering that hangs above the door like a coat on a coat rack. In large, capitalized letters, the sign reads, "Reception." There's a small sign below it that reads, "Students, Please enter here." I pay the taxi driver before I push open the doors, amazed by how the walls are decorated with intricate designs carved into the glass, and how the chairs lining the room has soft, yet stiff-looking cushions on the seat, back, and arm rests. Almost everything in this place seemed like it could only be found in a dream to me.

The lady at the desk glares at me over a pile of papers. "Lucy Lines?"

"That's me," I reply. My voice rings around the room, as if I had sung the line. Suddenly I feel a lot more self concious.

"The person you share your dorm room with is named Mary Santiago. You should sit in one of the chairs until everyone else arrives."

"Yes, ma'am," I say. I walk over to a chair directly five steps to the left from where I was standing. I turn around and sit. The cushion is very soft, and I swear I had a heart attack because I expected it to be a little more stiff. I realize there were three other people in the room before me and try to muffle the noise of delight that comes out of my mouth after realizing how soft and cushiony it is. One of them tries to disguise a giggle as a small cough. I look down at my feet. I'm pretty short, so only the tips of my toes touch the floor.

I found myself in Wonderland, get back on my feet again.

I hear a tune in my head. Faintly, it rings out. I probably heard it on the radio in the taxi, but before I know it, the world is gone. I'm singing my heart out, and I don't care who's watching.
ï' ø вøɾε

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Ceridwen Price

Immediately, as Ceri stepped out of her mother's car, the smell of rain hit her. Of course, rain. When isn't it rain? She laughed at herself and stretched out; hours of riding in the cramped confines of the passenger seat had her all tense, and that certainly wouldn't do. She looked back at her mother with a grin.

"Are you sure you can let me go?" she teased. The air in the car park was dense and a little humid, nothing like the freezing air conditioning her mother had going nonstop, but it wasn't bad. She could survive a little rain. Her mother made a face and gestured to the rear of the car.

"Get your stuff out of here already, before I change my mind." Ceri laughed and blew a kiss to her mother, wishing her father could have been there, too. I probably would have suffocated in the back seat. The car was tiny, made to transport one ballroom dancer named Katrin and her costumes, not her daughter's musical gear. The whole ride, she had been afraid that even in the hard case, Morrigan would get some kind of beating, and she couldn't lean her seat back, either, because that would have probably broken the car against her amp.

She almost regretted bringing her amp, because she was going to have to lug it all the way to her dorm, and if they didn't let her up there before orientation, she would be pissed. Ceri pulled the amp out of the back seat and set it on the ground of the car park, then reached in for Morrigan's case. "But how will you know I'm being good?" she asked her mother as she fought with the strap on the hard case to get it over her shoulder. It was heavy, but she'd carried it for longer periods of time before, and at least it didn't cut into her shoulder.

"Mother knows all," the older woman drawled. "Here, let me pop the boot open for you." There was the usual groan from the car before it would let the back open up, and the young woman grinned. She was going to look like a nutcase, walking in with all her stuff, and she had to be able to convince whoever was in charge of room assignments to let her dump it before orientation.

Ceri double-checked that her suitcase and her tote were zipped closed and nothing had fallen out before she took them out of the car. The tote she carried on the same shoulder as her case strap, so she could keep one hand on both of them while attempting to wheel her suitcase and amp case with the other.

"Are you going to need help, dear?" Her mother looked over at her from the driver's seat with a concerned frown.

"Just a little," the young woman admitted, glad her mother had asked. "Could you get the suitcase, maybe?" She grinned sheepishly and re-adjusted the straps on her shoulder, resting her free hand on her amp case's retractable handle. She had hunted every music store around her house for protective gear that was easy to roll around, and had ended up ordering something off the internet - she was just glad she didn't have to carry her amp.

Katrin sighed and put the car in park before climbing out to get the suitcase. "If anyone steals my car, darling, I blame you." She smiled dryly and gave Ceri a look that told her she was absolutely crazy for insisting on carrying all her music gear herself.

"You'll be inside for five minutes," Ceri retorted. She let her mother lead the way into the intimidating glass building, since she wasn't sure she could open the door herself. As soon as she stepped inside, her heart beat louder in her ears, and excitement and dread filled her veins. What was she doing? This was a place for people who were geniuses, people who knew everything inside and out, not people like her who got scatterbrained whenever they had to learn a new technical term. Go back home, the inelegant architecture told her. Go back home, and never leave.

She stood taller and walked up to the desk, where a very put-upon-looking woman frowned at her. "Excuse me," she said, in her best imitation of her father, "I'm Ceridwen Price, one of the new students here. Would I be able to double-check my room assignment and bring my belongings to my dorm?" Ceri gave the woman her best smile and gestured to the handle of the amp case, which barely stuck over the edge of the counter.

The woman sighed and shook her head. "We don't normally let students over to the boarding hall before orientation, but I can check your room assignment." She flipped through a set of papers too fast for Ceri to see what any of them said. "What's your name?"

"Ceridwen. Uh, Price. P-R-I," she said automatically, remembering the trouble secretaries had to go to in secondary to pull up any information.

"Price, P-R-I. You're going to be rooming in 4, with one Hart, Alice." The woman pursed her lips and looked up at the girl. "Since you're early, I suppose it won't hurt anything if you go and put your things in your room." She muttered something else that sounded vaguely derogatory, but Ceri brushed it off and smiled.

"Room 4? Thank you. The boarding hall is..."

"The building next door, can't miss it." The woman gestured and proceeded to ignore Ceri, returning to whatever she had been doing before the young woman and her mother strolled in.

Ceri took that as a dismissal and turned to smile at her mother toothily. Katrin took the hint and smiled back, leading the way out of the building and through the car park in the direction of the nearest building where the secretary had pointed. Apparently there was no need for a key - she supposed that was because it was a new students' day, but that was a little suspicious, and she made a note to ask about it if it wasn't covered in orientation.

So she strolled right into the boarding hall with her most prized possessions and a sense of discomfort at the idea of leaving them unprotected in London, of all places. In lobby of the boarding hall, she cast a glance at what she guessed was supposed to be a reception desk, but there was a sign hanging off of it that read Welcome New Students! and no one sitting behind it. Another thing to ask about, if it came to that.

Ceri paused to hug her mother. "I can find room 4 on my own," she said, kissing Katrin's cheek. She wanted to get the woman out of there before she could make a comment on the safety standards of the school; if her parents got started on safety standards, she would be at home until she was fifty. "Thanks, Mum. Love you."

"Love you, too, dear. Be good, stay safe, do your school work." Her mother hugged her back and turned to go. "And write home!"

"I will, I will!" Ceri grinned until her mother was out of the building, then adjusted her tote bag so it was on her other shoulder and looped the strap of her case over her neck so she could grab her suitcase. Room 4, she thought. Can't be that hard to find. Her thoughts turned to her roommate - as an only child, she hadn't had to share before. This was going to be an entirely new experience, and hopefully this 'Hart, Alice' wouldn't make it a bad one.

She rolled her things down the broad central hall, keeping an eye on the numbers of the doors for 4. It looked like odd numbers were on her left, even on her right, and 4 came sooner than she liked. Ceri paused at the doorway and grasped the handle, still not sure if she was ready for this.

Now or never. She turned the handle and pushed the door open.
stay off the faerie paths

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 pm
Caesar says...

Alice Hart

"The London School for the Musically Talented."

The limousine stopped.

"We are here, Miss."

Alice nodded. She looked outside the window. Before her was a dreary sight. The sky was a dull gray, and it was drizzling. The building itself seemed elegant, however. It was certainly very large. There were a few cars parked, and a figure was trimming the hedges by the entrance.

"Miss?"

Alice blinked. She had spaced out. There was silence for a few more minutes. Alice played with her nails, looking outside. The drizzle didn't let up. Then, finally,

"Domovoi?" She paused again. "Do you think... how do you think it will go?"

Her butler paused for a moment also. "You will be fine, Miss," he said. "You have always managed."

"I have," Alice repled. "Then, I suppose I'll be off."

Not waiting for Domovoi to step out and open the door for her, she quickly moved outside. Alice opened the back door, where she had thrown her stuff earlier in the morning, and made to pick it up.

"Please, allow me."

She grabbed her laptop bag, but let her butler take the rest. The keyboard was, actually, rather heavy. So was the console. Briefly, Alice wondered if she should have brought so much stuff, but the thought fled her mind. Stuff was important. The music department was fairly new, she recalled, and they might not have everything she needed.

The rain brought her back to the present world. She moved towards the entrance, Domovoi following.

As she stepped through the doors, Alice felt reassured. The building had the same pristine atmosphere of modernity she was used to. Moving towards the reception desk, she couldn't help but feel a little trepidation. This was a school for talented people -- people who would acknowledge her own talent. It would be a good escape from the dreariness of quite possibly everyone else she had known to this point.

She was practically smiling as she walked into the reception area. There was an older woman, sitting behind a desk. She could direct Alice to her rooms... if that was where she was supposed to go. It was a little strange that nobody was there to greet the students. Just as she thought that, she noticed a sign, Welcome New Students. Alice shrugged. That would do, for now.

"Excuse me?" she asked the woman.

The woman looked up, bored.

"I'm Alice Hart, a new student here. Could you show me to my room?"

She raised an eyebrow at Alice's tone of command, but said nothing. After flipping through a book, the woman looked up again.

"Room 4. Is he with you?" She gestured in the direction Domovoi was standing, slightly obscured by the cases.

"No, he's just carrying my things," Alice replied.

"So I see."

Blushing, Alice walked towards another hall, where she hoped the rooms would be. At this point it didn't matter, if it was away from the woman.

The room was not hard to find. She opened the door, and let Domovoi pass. The butler placed her gear on the floor gently.

"I'll be off, then, Miss," he said.

"Oh, yes, thank you, Domovoi."

He turned on his heels and closed the door behind him.

Let's see now, she thought to herself. The room was spartan, but that was fine by her. There was one rather wide window, which looked onto the gardens. Bunk beds on the wall to her left. Another door led to what she assumed were bathrooms. More importantly, however, to her right there was just what she needed. Namely, a desk and several electrical sockets.

Alice started unpacking her stuff. Laptop on the desk, keyboard in front of it, speakers -- where were the speakers... right, same case as the Traktor -- by the laptop, console somewhere on the desk... Alice was running out of deskspace. Amid all this, she barely heard the door open again. There was an 'oh'. Alice turned around.

A girl who looked around her age was standing in the doorway, looking hesitant.

Ceri found herself staring at a shorter girl who seemed to be in the middle of unpacking, judging by the mess on the desk. She blinked a couple of times, reminding herself it was rude to stare - was that what she was worried about right now? She was turning into her parents. "I'm sorry," she said in her business voice. "Are you... Alice?" Her other hand tightened around the handle of her amp case.

"That I am... I expect you're my roommate. Don't mind me, I'm just unpacking." Alice returned to fiddling with the eletrical cords. She was glad she brought extensions and a few power strips.

"Oh," Ceri said again. She shook her head and rolled her amp into the room, setting it up in a bare corner a ways from the desk, then went back for her suitcase. She leaned the suitcase against the wall and searched for a free outlet, considering Alice had a monopoly on the ones by the desk. Spotting one not far from her, she decided that this corner would be hers, and leaned Morrigan's hard case up against the wall. "So," she said, "uh... What kind of music do you... make?" Nothing Ceri listened to, she was fairly sure, if the mass of electronics was any clue.

"Usually I make techno, minimal, whatever. Somethimes I try to make drum and bass." Alice looked at the girl's amp and what she assumed was a guitar case. "What kind of music do you play?" She hoped it was shoegaze. Alice liked shoegaze.

Ceri smiled, glad the girl had asked a question that she could answer. "Oh, I can do basically anything with a guitar, but mostly it's death metal. I can play a mean riff." Perhaps she wouldn't have such a rough time.

"Oh." It wasn't shoegaze. She should show her that at some point. Alice was lacking a guitarist. This girl might prove useful.

"I don't actually know your name."

"Then I'm at an advantage," Ceri teased lightly. She opened her amp case and unzipped her tote bag to fetch her extension cord. If she was going to live here, she may as well get comfortable, quick. "I'm Ceridwen Price. Call me Ceri, please."

"Ceri, alright. You already know mine."

Alice turned on her laptop, and checked if all the drivers she'd installed were functioning correctly.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

51 Reviews

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:58 pm
LordGreenleaf says...

Spoiler! :
Great, I'm loving where these first posts are going. At the end of this post we'll be going to the orientation, which is held outside

Zaine

I slept for about thirteen minutes. I woke up feeling disorientated and lost and it took me a few seconds to remember where I was, LSMT and not some party I'd got drunk at.

I felt better though. Looking around the room I saw no trace of my room mate. Shrugging I headed out into the hallway, rubbing sleep out of my eyes. The hallway was fillid with kids. Shouting, throwing capos and reeds, banging into people with two much luggage for the time that we where staying.

"Excuse me, do you know where I'm meant to be going?" I asked a pretty girl walking beside me. She had long, chocolate brown hair twisted into a bun and lace up boots.

"I think we're going to orientation." Said the girl beside her, staring straight ahead. Pierced face, ginger Mohawk and a pair of huge headphones around her neck, she cast a striking figure.

I followed them outside, where what looked like an assembly was staring. We sat down in chairs at the back, me staring at the carefully tended garden and them at other people.

"I'm Zaine by the way." I said, giving the bun girl I smile. She half smiled back.

"I'm Ceridwen but you can call me Ceri, and this is Alice. " she said, looking over at the pierced girl.

"Nice to meet you." I murmured.

"May I take this seat?" A voice said to my right.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:41 pm
Pamplemousse says...

Damien

I walked out of my dorm, closing the door behind me.

I wonder how long it's going to take me to find where they're holding the orientation thing, I thought to myself as I was walking down the hallway I had been through earlier, making my way towards the entrance. I started to turn the corner when a guy that looked to be somewhat close to my age almost walked into me.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I mumbled before walking around him and continuing on my way.

Once I made it to the building's entrance, I looked around the room to see where the other people were going and followed them. I saw three people, two girls and a guy, engaging in a conversation a little bit ahead of me.

----

When I got outside, I looked for a seat that wasn't near a bunch of people. After I had found a seat and sat down, I looked around at the people that were already seated. I noticed the trio that I was walking behind sitting in the back, and a few other people scattered around in the other seats.

I hope I don't end up with a lot of people trying to talk to me, I said in my head as I was leaning back in my seat, waiting for the orientation to begin.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 pm
Seraph says...

Alto

"Quentin, do tell me you've brought Akama," I inquired fervently.

"I beg your pardon, Dorian? What's this 'Akama' that you-"

"My didgeridoo! 'Akama' is an Aboriginal word meaning 'whale.' Does it not sound like such? And Quentin, you know that I like to be called 'Alto,' I interrupted, and rambled without hesitation.

"This wooden contraption?" Quentin sighed out, holding up the ancient instrument.

With Lillith, my quirky little fiddle, strapped to my back, I snagged the didgeridoo with my free hand and opened the trunk of the automobile with the other. It was an All Weather Tourer from the 1950s, which perfectly suited certain aspects of mine and Quentin's tastes alike.

"Thank you, Quentin," I exclaimed as he assisted me in carrying the rest of my instruments towards the brick monolith the lie ahead.

Closing in on the building, I noticed a sign that read, "Students, Please Enter Here."

"Salutations, Miss!" I addressed receptionist with what, I must confess, was a slightly unnerving abundance of energy.

"Thank goodness you've arrived. Orientation starts within the hour! Now, if you could just give me your name, I'll assign you to your dorm," the woman at the desk implored with an iota of warmth.

"The name's Virelai, Dorian Alto Virelai," I professed, ecstatically attempting to emulate the suave of Bond himself.

"Dorian, you'll be in Dorm 2 with Damien Green."

"Thanks! Come on Quentin, let's get my tchotchkes in the room!"

"You mean your instruments, sir?" My butler clarified.

"When they're as plentiful as a plebeian's paraphernalia, they find their ways into odd places much in the same way! Now, come along," I almost shouted while briskly scanning for Dorm #2.

While turning a corner, I almost collided with what appeared to be another student.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he barely uttered, and then made his way around me as if slightly embarrassed by the interaction.

"Quentin, judging from the direction my fellowman has come from, I do believe he is the Damien Green I will take shelter with," I proclaimed as I quickly piled my instruments in the room.

"You're my best friend and the most accountable butler one could ever know. Thank you for being of service, Quentin. You will be missed. Now, I must go! I'll keep in touch, comrade, and so shall you, capiche?"

"Capiche, sir. Until then, adieu!" Quentin, my noble butler, responded, then shook my hand and made his way towards the Tourer.

Following this, I dashed towards the Orientation, which would soon begin.

Scanning the visages of my new peers, I noticed the same one that I had encountered in the hallway and made my way towards it. I sat right next to him, but he seemed to shy away. Therefore, I felt if I made a cogent, risky, and interesting first impression, I could spark up a conversation.

"Good day, Damien Green. My name is Dorian Alto Virelai, but you may call me Alto. I do believe we'll share a flat, so we might as well get to know one another," I orated, offering my hand for his somewhat perplexed person to eventually shake.
"At this very instant, I augment the spacetime that permeates and weaves our beings."

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:18 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

No matter how Shane looked at it, he couldn't understand having Orientation outside in rain-ridden England. He wasn't going to complain because, he had to face it, the school was looking nicer and nicer with each minute that passed. Still, though, he took his yellow hearts umbrella out onto the lawn with him and scanned the crowd of students. True to nature, most were sitting towards the back of the optional seating--and it didn't surprise Shane in the least, though he had to admit that sitting in the back of anything just felt depressing.

Shane placed a finger on his lips and considered his choices. He didn't know anyone yet, so sitting next to a backseat brooder would just be a double-down bad day. In the front row, though, was a girl with a novel the size of a bible in her face. Shane scurried a bit towards the seat next to her, then realized he was scurrying; he then took a deep breath of wet air and casually strode down, sitting beside black-haired-girl-with-novel.

She did not look up from her book. In the top corner, Shane could see Ayn Rand in an almost-caligraphy. There were several specks of rain on her pages.

"I hate to spoil the ending," Shane pipped, "but Atlas shrugs."

The girl turned her head to him and stared; her eyes were dark, heavy, and not the least bit entertained. Well, Shane guessed the rest of her wasn't entertained, either, but c'est la vie.

Rand girl turned back to her faceplant novel and Shane drummed his fingers on his leg, casually whistling--which brought the girl's attention back to him.

"You whistled six tritones in haphazard scale deconstruction. Whistle another and choke."

Shane turned his head away--half in courtesy and half in fear--and crossed his right leg over his left at the knees. No matter how bravely he stared forward, the temptation continued to rise within him.

Higher.

And hotter.

Almost to bursting.

And he whistled again...before taking off in a sprint away from Rand girl. This did not deter her from, comically, hurling six pounds of Atlas Shrugged across the lawn, smacking Shane in the back of the head squarely. He toppled over into the wet grass and groaned as his head spun, abundant laughter in the background.

"THE NAME'S ANNA, BITCH. FEAR IT."

I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

,Adric|Arrival

A red-brick building, proud on the skyline, probably of the Victorian era. Wrought iron gates, stone lions, the place and grounds had all the hallmarks of a pretentious grammer school. But the sluggish exterior was counterbalanced with dashes of sophistication and technology, and more importantly money. The electrically operated gate, a nifty design fitted into the original gate. The small security cameras, cleverly hidden in both the stone lions' mouths. And the sound of children, of bustle and clamour, came from the building, muffled by the thick walls and thick air.
Adric stepped through the open gate, and made his way up the gravel drive. The pebbles scrunched underneath his feet and the wheels of his suitcase, like autumn leaves crushed underfoot. The noise inside grew louder as he approached, evidently no time to put his stuff in his room, and more importantly find out who his room-mate would be. He would have to leave that until after the ceremony.
The stone building had one of those horrible glass doors that architects include because they think it looks fashionable and minimalistic, but really makes it look like the architect forgot what doors were and looked at pre-school drawings for reference.
He looked through the see-through aperture as he approached it, and saw down the hall way beyond, a veritable sea of new students, each with a total lack of calm and far too much stuff to carry. Adric had packed very little, his melodeon, his clothes, his fold up bike, and a few comforts. Nothing to large, and definitely no computer. Why people could not live without plugging themselves into their artificial primary colour pixelized worlds was a mystery to Adric.
As he entered the building the receptionist squawked at him "Mr. Noble I presume. Hurry or you'll be late for the ceremony, I find you your room-mate when you return. Hurry!"
Adric hurried, and as he did so wondered how the receptionist new his name. He guessed it was either a natural talent for mind reading, or process of elimination. That meant he was last in.
Considering he was supposedly late, the hall was full of people unseated. Adric saw a free seat, next to a young man impatiently tapping his fingers (to quite an intricate rhythm) on the side of his chair.
"Excuse me good sir, but is this seat taken?"
The man turned and looked at Adric, pushing his brown-grey hair up as he did so.
Adric took of his hat, (a black fedora with a navy blue band), and repeated "Is this seat taken?"
"No, you're welcome to it." replied the man.
Adric noted the two young women standing besides the man with the brown-grey hair, and gave a small bow, saying "afternoon ladies," before seating himself next to the man in the hoodie.
"My name is Adric, what's yours?"
"Zaine."
"Pleased to meet you Zaine."
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:33 am
View Likes
dragonthief1 says...

Kyler Poltiers/ Arrival

I stepped out of the cab and paid the driver as I grabbed my backpack and suitcase. I threw my guitar case's strap over my shoulder and walked towards the entrance. When I entered a couple of other teens studied me than resumed talking. I got in line for room assignments when i saw her. My heart almost stopped. The most beautiful woman in the world was two people ahead of me. I admit that i may have been overreacting, but she was like a warm sunrise, an angel from heaven, or a warm summer day spent with friends.

My mother had always told me to follow my heart, but seeing as my heart was stopped, there wasn't much i could follow. I cleared my throat and stepped in front of the boy in front of me. The boy opened his mouth to speak but i shoved the half eaten sandwhich in his hand in his mouth. As he tried to avoid choking to death, i tapped the girl on the shoulder.

" Madame, pardon me, but i couldnt help but notice that you were the most beautiful woman in this room, and i would never forgive myself if i didnt pause to pay tribute to your beauty. If you would be so kind and indulge a poor boys desires, may i learn your name?" I studied her face. Her face was perfect, every texture was perfect. Her skin looked soft, like a cloud. I smiled at her softly as her face went a deep shade of red." W-w-what? Are you talking to me? I blushed a little." Well, no one else is around. You are the only person i could speak too." She went a deeper shade of red, which i thought blended well with her skin tone.

She smiled at me, a little nervously which i thought was adorable." It's Maria. Maria Santiago." A name from heaven, i thought to myself. She had to turn around to speak to the staff member as I studied her hair. It was beautifully styled and seemed to shine like gold all on its own.

I stepped up to the counter." Poltiers, Kyler." I said, putting my accent into full force. The aide glanced at me." You are in room 3 with Mr.Shane Warren." I bowed my head slighlty. "Merci beaucoup madame." I turned to find Maria watching me. When she saw me looking back at her she turned away, blushing. I walked up to her." Would you do me the great honour of allowing me by your beauty during the orientation.? My heart would burst if you denied me this boon." I added. She nodded slowly and i felt a big smile erupt over my face. I was going to enjoy this school.

51 Reviews

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:14 am
LordGreenleaf says...

Zaine

Adric cut quite the figure. Seated next to me, he looked like he'd just stepped out of an advert for 1920's toothpaste. Ceri looked quite bemused as he introduced himself to her, a slight blush creeping into her cheeks.

"So, what instrument do you play?" I asked Adric, looking over at his black fedora that he cradled in his lap.

"Melodeon. You?" Adric said, looking over at me. I whistled impressed; my grandpa had played the melodeon when I was a kid and I knew first hand how different it was to drums or even guitar.

"Drums." I said. He nodded, reply cut short as a thickset man got onto the small podium they had set up. He was wearing a suit that did not quite fit and a black scarf that looked like a snake as it wound around it's neck.

"Good afternoon, my fellow musicians." The man chuckled, looking out into the sea of faces. "My name is Mr. Campbell and I am the principal of London School for the Musically Talented." Mr. Campbell paused, shuffling his notes.

"Each one of you is unique. Now I know you've probably been told that your whole life, but here that's pretty much our model. We strive to be unique and we hope that when you graduate, you can bring a twist to music in the future."

"You have each been given a starter pack, with your timetable, key to the music room and information brochure. For the next two years you'll follow our rules, and we'll follow yours when it comes to your music.

I wish you all the best when you start your classes tomorrow, so good luck."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 am
Carina says...

Maria Santiago

"This place is amazing!" Maria continued to exclaim in the taxi ride, smashing her face against the window to receive the full view. "I can't believe you live here! I mean, there's so much to do, so much to see!"

The taxi driver, who was lucky enough to drive her from the airport and assist her in smashing all her belongings in the trunk and backseat, tuned her out as she continued to endlessly wow in awe over the city of London.

"I still can't believe I'm here! I've applied to LSMT for years, and here I am, on my way over there!" she sighed in content with a grin plastered on her face. "It's my first time out of the country, so I can also do a lot of sight seeing, right? I'd love to visit the London Eye, or the Palace, or Kensington Gardens, or even catch BBC filming! Though London is really chilly compared to Spain, and it's kind of dreary too, but that's okay, it's still exciting!" She had to take a deep breath after saying the last sentence really fast to make sure her body can replenish in the oxygen it so needs in the midst of excitement, and she continued to smile and fidget in her seat as she hopefully looked up at the quiet taxi driver.

"Miss," he said after long moments of deafening silence, "did you say you had to get there at a certain time?"

Immediately Maria leaned over to see what time it was, then shrugged it off. "It's fine. I wanted to be there early to unpack and meet my roommate before she gets there, but we're still early, so no worries."

"Traffic is quite heavy at this time of hour, but fortunately we are almost there."

"Oh, good," she said in relief. "I did say I wanted to get there at a certain time, but I always like to be early, so I don't think it's a big deal." She looked out the window for a minute, noting the tall elegant buildings that passed by. "I am wondering how I'd get my luggage out, though..." There was another long pause as she looked at the driver hopefully, but there was no reply. "I'd tip well," she offered again. "Besides, I think I might have talked too much. I'm sorry. I'm just so excited."

The taxi driver smiled genuinely as wrinkles formed across his face. "I'd be happy to help, ma'am. We are almost there."

Biting her lip to not annoy the driver any more, she continued to look out the window and take in the view. A minute later, the car rolled into a stop, and there it was—a glass building with beautiful architecture with the words London School for the Musically Talented printed daintily across, beckoning her in.

"Your bags, madam," the driver said, already out of the car and with her bags and belongings as she had stared off into the distance in extreme awe.

"Right!" she chimed, opening the door to join him, feeling the misty London air breeze past her face and open skin. After closing her eyes and taking a deep breath in to fully take in the fact that she was here, right now, at the heart of London, Maria helped her driver carry her things to the lobby.

"Thank you so, so much," she said after they reached the doors, tipping him generously. He tipped his hat and walked away, leaving her by herself.

For once in her life, she was going to be dependent. She will stand up strong and live her life the way she wants to, and she can do it with the power of her own individuality!

Smiling, she set her bags aside and examined the lobby. There were people sitting down and playing with their own thumbs as a lady behind the desk seemed to stare at her blankly.

"May I help you?" the woman said with a hint of sass which Maria was oblivious to.

"Yep!" she replied back a little too cheerfully as she walked up to the desk. "My name is Maria Santiago. Could you direct me to my room, please?"

"Santiago, Maria," the woman mused as she looked down at a sheet. "Room six. Your roommate is Lucy Lines." She seemed to perk up at the name and stared past Maria and into another person, but Maria paid no attention.

"Great!" she said instead. "Do I get a key, or..?"

"Well?" the lady pushed, continuing to stare past her. "Isn't that you?"

Confused, Maria turned around and finally understood. A younger girl stands up and shyly looks at the ground, weakly waving. "Hello," she said quietly. "It look like I'm going to be your roommate."

In one quick motion, Maria was over by her side to give her a big, giant hug. "You must be Lucy Lines!" she exclaimed, pulling out. "My name is Maria. It's so nice to meet you! We'll have a great time together, I just know it. Should we take our bags to our room together? You haven't been there yet, have you?"

In the midst of it all, Lucy seemed to nod over every fast sentence Maria slews out, trying to keep up with her pace. "Um...no, not yet."

"Great! Let's go, then."

~~~

"You're a singer. That's so neat," Maria said as they got the last of the bags in the room. "I can't sing to save my life."

Lucy giggled, beginning to open up compared to the stiff moments mere minutes ago at the lobby. "It's not that bad. I can even teach you, but other people are probably better than I am."

"Oh, stop that!" she teased. "I'm sure you sing beautifully."
"Thanks, Maria," she said with a smile. "I'm sure you're an excellent string player."
"We'll see what the conductor says," she said jokingly with a hint of a buried, stiff memory. "But anyways, that's all the bags, so should we explore the place?"
"Yeah, that sounds good."

The two walked out into the hall while continuing their chatter, and despite the few years difference and varying musical abilities, the two already hit off a friendship. Fortunately, it seemed like it was a charm for Maria; she could easily make friends with her open extrovert personality and infinite smiles.

But back in Spain, most of these friends were only friends and nothing more than a friend she'd pass in school; there was a never a deeper friendship. With the acceptance of LSMT and a new country, things would start fresh, and Maria promised herself that things would change.

"Do you think they're having an orientation?" she asked Lucy as they reached the lobby again, noting that there were more people standing around. "Let's go ask," she added on before Lucy could even answer, already standing in line.

A few moments passed as another person lined up behind her and the door opened for others to come in. I wonder if any of them will be in my class or if anyone plays the viola too, she wondered to herself, when suddenly—

Tap, tap. She turned around to see who wanted her attention. "Madame, pardon me," a guy—un chico guapo—said to her, freezing her in the spot. "I couldn't help but notice that you are the most beautiful woman in this room"—was she hearing that right?—"and I would never forgive myself if I didn't pause to pay tribute to your beauty." She found herself gaping as her heart seemed to be on stun mode and her brain laughed and said, Yep, you heard that right, you lucky gal. "If you would be so kind and indulge a poor boy's desires, may I learn your name?" he continued on, somehow being able to contain his composure.

"W-w-what?" she sputtered out after telling herself that this was real life. "Are you talking to me?"

What are you doing, Maria! she silently yelled to herself the second those words left her lips. Of course he's talking to you; he's looking right at you!

"Well, no one else is around. You are the only person I could speak too," he gently replied back while keeping his eyes on hers, immediately making her face turn hot in a mixture of embarrassment and some other feeling that tied her stomach into knots. She could see Lucy shift uncomfortably beside her, and she sensed sandwich guy glaring at the two of them as he cut ahead to talk to the receptionist.

Coming from an all-female school, she's never had a guy look at her like that.
It was...she didn't even know how to describe it.

Feeling her face heat up some more, she looked down and smiled, breaking the eye contact that he continued to share. "It's Maria," she said. "Maria Santiago."

Oh gosh... Why am I embarrassed? Why is this so awkward?!

Naturally, she tried to find a way out of the awkwardness that her little body was not able to handle. "Excuse me," she said over to the receptionist, turning around and interrupting sandwich boy again. "Do we go to any specific place after we drop off our bags? Like an orientation?"

"Orientation, yes. Just follow the crowd outside."

"Poltiers, Kyler," guapo said to the lady as she gave him his room number.

Kyler, Maria thought. French hombre...
She was lost in thought and didn't realize that she was staring at him until he turned and gave her his own signature smile, and it was at that moment that she took a step back and looked away, trying to hide her face. Oh no, he must think I'm weird or a creep—

"Would you do me the great honour of allowing me by your beauty during the orientation?" Kyler asked, interrupting her thoughts. "My heart would burst if you denied me this boon."

This was too much. Too, too much, in a good way, but... "Yes," she said, nodding and laughing as he broke out into the happiest grin she's ever seen in her life. "But only if you buy me lunch."

He laughed—a hearty, airy, precious kind of laugh that only comes from the heart of gold—as he gestured forward. "After you, mademoiselle."

The smile on Maria's face seemed to be permanent as she headed towards the doors with Kyler, even when she turned around while mouthing "I'm sorry. I'll talk to you later!" to Lucy. She felt bad for leaving her, but this...this was something she couldn't pass up, and she didn't think she'd want to join in on them anyways.

~~~

"Mariaaa, I just met a girl named Maria," Kyler sang when a silence fell after their long introductions to each other. They already made it to the outside stage and were sitting down, waiting for the orientation to start.

"I love West Side Story," Maria said with the permanent bright smile. "It's my favorite musical, but maybe it's because I've played in the orchestra before."

"Is that so?" he mused, taking the fact in perhaps a little too much.

It didn't matter. When the little silences came, she could look at him some more, or at least take a few peeks.

"Are you cold?" he asked. "I can give you my sweater."
"No, no!" Maria insisted even though she was still cold. "You've already gave me your jacket and it's drizzling. I don't want you to get sick."
"You're cold," he stated, proceeding to take his sweater out anyways, leaving him with only a t-shirt on. "I'll be fine," he said as he handed it to her. "Paris is much cooler than Spain, so I'm used to it."

Maria bit her lip, not able to find the words to say back to him.

I can't do that. You should keep it.
Thank you so much, Kyler.
That's so kind. You didn't have to.

She spent so much time trying to think of the right words that in the end she said nothing at all and the ceremony already started.

Mr. Campbell, the principal of LSMT, came out to introduce himself, but Maria dazed out of the whole speech. It was so unlike her to not want to absorb every detail like a sponge, but she just couldn't get her body to function, and before she knew it, people started to clap and leave.

"Is that it?" she asked, standing up. "Well...what should we do now?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

Facebook is that cockroach that you just can't kill
— Gravity