Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:07 pm
View Likes
AdmiralKat says...

Raven Clover
Defence Against the Dark Arts Class~ Care of Magical Creatures
I creeped into the Defence Against the Dark Arts class, late because an idiotic Mudblood had decided to start an argument with me. I slip into my seat, right next to Matty Flintwood. She’s okay as a friend, but a bit too carefree.

“Miss. Clover, could you please explain why you were late to class today?” Professor Bradshaw says concerned. A series of snickers rose up around the room. Everyone was staring at me, curious about how I would answer.

“I ran into someone and got into an argument,” I admitted. Professor Bradshaw just nodded and let me pass. He gave me a sharp stare to let me know that I shouldn’t do that again.

“How did you get Professor Bradshaw to let you pass?” Matty whispered to me. “He never lets anyone be late to class and not get punished. I shrugged in response, I really had no idea. Professor Bradshaw was always super serious at the beginning of the year, he let us students know who was in charge of the class room.

Professor Bradshaw welcomed the class and started lecturing about the history of werewolves. I started to think about home. Already, two days from home, I was sort of missing it. I had a sense of liberty there. No one bothered me, for my mother and father were always at work and so I could do whatever I wanted. I spent most of my time, reading books and surfing the internet, a modern Muggle invention that seemed like magic. Sometimes, Joe, my boyfriend would come over and we would watch a movie or play a board game. I doze off slowly, dreaming of home. I woke up to Matty poking me.

“Wake up, sleep head,” Matty said. “Class is over”. I raise my head up and groan. It was time for the Care of Magical Creatures with; Hagrid. I walk to his class with Luni, a blond haired beauty and Bella, a brunette smarty.

As I walk into class grounds, an outdoor area, I see a horrendous sight. Layla Shackebolt. She was horrendous inside and out. The worst fact was that I was in her territory. She was best friends with Hagrid and so he definitely favored her more than me.

“Hello. Layla,” I snickered. She didn’t reply and sat on the opposite side of the area. This class grounds was going to be a long one.
Whale. Whale. Whale. What do we have here?
Some scurvy dog looking at my post, eh?

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:49 pm
View Likes
dragonthief1 says...

Professor Bradshaw

"Welcome to your sixth year of Defense Against the Dark Arts. However, it doesnt always have to be the dark arts your defending yourselves against. Of course you should always be ready for... anything dark." As I finished, Raven Clover walked into the classroom."Miss Clover, could you please explain why you were late to class today?" The other students started to laugh and look at her. "I ran into someone and got into an arguement." I nodded and let it go, planning something for her.
A student leaped up. "Is it true you can talk to dragons professor?". Even Miss Clover seemed interested now. I cleared my throat. "No, I do not speak to dragons." The student sat down, dissapointed now." But I can commuinicate with them." Everyones interest seemed renewed. I began to walk around the class now as I leaped into a story.
" You see. Dragons are smart. History would have you believe they are dumb creatures. Don't fall for it. Dragons could easily be superior to us. There minds... they are always thinking. One second on a subject, and a second later they have moved on. This is not because they get disracted easily. Its because they have already solved that problem. If a dragon could take human form, they would be the smartest people on earth, and we could have been enslaved to them already."
I paused and glanced around. "No, I cannot speak to them. To do so would require a mouth and throat change. However, you can move. In the eatern steppes of russia, some tribes have cracked the barrier. Their tribal dances mimic the movements of a dragon. It took me several years tutelage under a shaman there to learn to master their dances. You see, the ways spells are cast, can easily shift over continents. Here, we use wands, and over their, they use relics, staffs, or even their own hands. For them, their magical energy comes from within." I cleared my throat." I have the utmost respect for men who call themselvews dragon trainers, but inside I find it funny. You can never train a dragon. Even if a dragon came to you at beck and call, that doesnt mean it still doesnt want to eat you or look at you as food. But I do have Dragons I can call friends and that I have been able to comunicate with."
With a swirl of my robe, I turned to a map and it lit up in northern mongolia."Galt Neg, the Fiery One. He watched as Ghangis Khans hordes conquered a world." Eastern China. " XianZhi, called Farseer. Witnessed the building of the Great Wall." I sighed." There are a few other dragons I had the honor of meeting. Perhaps I can introduce you to them someday, after a heated discusion with the Minister of Magic of course." I waved my wand and the map dissapeared." Now, to our lesson today. THe History of werewolves, although we really don't know the topic verry well, those who claim to do so will bless us with their wisdom." I reached for a book as the students chuckled.
When the bell rang, I magically placed a note in Miss Clovers bag. She was poked awake by her friend and the two left.
Miss CLover,
I can only say that I am somewhat dissapointed in you. I expected more from you, a sixth year. Anyways I will cut to the chase. With your Head of Houses permission, I plan on taking you on a little field trip, one which will make up for the lesson you missed. I want you to know, I expect my students to be on time, and if you error agian, i will give you a detention of my choosing. Please do not make this mistake agian.
Sincerely, Professor Bradshaw

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

~Professor McGonagall~

I’m getting far too old. Teaching at Hogwarts for nearly sixty years has really taken its toll on me, and that’s not even counting the ten years I worked at the Ministry of Magic. Even though last night I did my best not to stay up too late, Filius still kept me up going on about how he’ll run the school this year to avoid ‘incidents’. To be honest, I’m quite glad he’s the Headmaster rather than I. Being Deputy Headmistress is hard enough.

Today, I woke up later than I normally would this morning, which really surprised me. Usually on days as nice as this I’m up with the sun, but not today. Theo, my precious Siamese cat, had to actually sit on me to get me up. Oh that darling, always looking out for me.

Filius laughed when I got him, calling me an old cat lady, and he was right. They do seem to be a large part of my life, being an animungus, which is a cat, and my patronus also a cat. Well, I’m not really sure what I’d do without Theo. Just having him around seems to make things easier for me.

Shaking my head to avoid distracting thoughts, I quickly get up and dress. Once I finally look at the clock, I notice the time is 8:45. It seems that I’ve practically missed breakfast. Old age can be frustrating sometimes, and my need for more sleep is obviously a side effect.

Well, since I’m not going to have time for breakfast, and I absolutely refuse to be late to my own first class, I grab my wand off the dresser and rush out the door. Students seem to be out and about, either stumbling around trying to find their classes or dragging along to avoid the dreaded time. Gently pushing through the crowd, I try not to attract too much attention to myself, but still attempt to hurry.

Luckily, my classroom is close by, and I’m able to reach it before 8:55. Ignoring my grumbling stomach, I begin to prepare the room for my class. When I realize my first group is first years, I can feel my stomach drop. I miss the days when I had more patience with first years, but now I feel grumpy and irritable.

As class begins, I’m glad to notice only one seat open, and I begin my usual introduction to my class. Of course most are very eager to start using their wands and begin their studies, but I just let them off with mere demonstrations today, those of which I’m very glad I can still preform with ease. Though I’ve only endured one class, I already feel spent, and I can only imagine trying to teach my sixth and seventh years.

Spoiler! :
Sorry its so short, but SOME PEOPLE, made me rush to get it out...
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:52 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

Elizabeth
History of Magic

This is quite possibly the most boring class we ever have to take. History of Magic; even the sounds of it is boring. History? Why would I want to know the history of how it came about when I could actually be using it?

I walk into the classroom, book clutched tight in hand, and chose a seat next to Simon. He turned and smiled at me, a smile that was way too eager. I can't help laughing.

"Aren't you lucky that our first class is History of Magic?" It's supposed to be sarcastic, but I don't think I quite nailed it because Simon nodded.

Before I can say anything else, Professor Binns suddenly appears in the room, coming through the blackboard as he always does. It's a trick that everyone loves. I'm quite impartial seeing as we see ghosts do that all the time at dinner. What makes Professor Binns any different?

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts," he says, drawing out each of the words. He always sounds like he's bored. I don't blame him. If I had to teach teenagers for all of eternity, I'd get bored too. "I will be teaching you all again in History of Magic. Today we will be learning about witch hunts and those involved. Please open your books to page 64."

Sighing, I flip through the pages until I reach page 64. Sitting there in the middle of the page is a picture of a witch, dressed in a black robe and a pointed hat. I laugh under my breath. She doesn't look anything like the witches I know. I don't look like that for goodness sake.

Professor Binns drones on about how muggles recognized us magical people as magical and tried to put a stop to us. However, we had the upper hand and were able to fight off these "scares". He told us of the flame-freezing charm witches -- and wizards thanks to the muggles's paranoia -- used to resist being burned at the stake.

He also mentions Wendelin the Weird, who I know all about already. I have to admit, it's awful boring to hear of the forty seven times she allowed herself to be caught and burned at the stake. She enjoyed the feeling of the flame-freezing charm so much that she continually used it.

Cautiously, I pull my schedule from my bag. I know that if Professor Binns finds me not paying attention, despite all of the kids enjoying naps right now, I'll be in trouble.

I frown as I look down the schedule. There are still four more classes I have to sit through before getting to Transfiguration. Not to mention lunch somewhere in there too.

Professor Binns is still droning on about the witch hunts and such, but by this point I have no idea what he's saying. Looking over at Simon, I realize he's taking notes furiously. Maybe he'll let me copy his notes later.

Sighing, I put the schedule back into my bag. This is going to be a long day.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:28 pm
View Likes
KingLucifer says...

Beatrix Valji - Cousins are a Pain.

There was a time when Anna found it easy for her to pick on me I remember her constant bullying between school years that made living with my Uncle a real pain. Her bullying didn't end with me stepping up and stopping her, no it ended when she finally moved out of Uncle Alden's home and got her own. That happened after my fourth year at Hogwarts, it was just last summer that I finally got my chance to stand up to Anna and her tormenting ways. I had nearly lost my life dueling her, blowing up her garage, wrecking her home, and dodging the unforgivable curses.

In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to kill Anna like I probably should have done. I didn't call any Aurors either, again like I should have done even now as I sat there in Defense Against the Dark Arts did I wonder if what I did was right, not killing Anna but not calling Aurors either just simple victory of having overcome her and her ways. As the Professor had her back turned I looked around and saw Raven with her head down, there was a reason why she and Kris had a difficult time matching up to me and Layla. Compared to Anna, Raven and Kris were like breaths of fresh air during my time here at Hogwarts, and Layla was a cool drink of water.

When the bell rang it was time for Care for Magical Creatures where I could meet up with Layla, Hagrid wasn't to bad and if anything he was alright in my book. His class was incredibly easy if you paid any attention whatsoever. Following a few classmates towards the hut I saw Raven snicker something at Layla but she seemingly acts like Raven wasn't even there. I approached Layla from behind slowly, I had a grin on my face as I do so until finally I grab her by her shoulders giving a loud "AH HA!" only to have her respond with a squeal of fright I only laugh as she does.

"I hate it when you do that!" she said.

"I gotta keep up the tradition you know, scaring you the first time I see you when classes begin!" I said with a grin on my face.

She shook her head before returning my grin with a smile.

"Did you hear we have to start learning Non-Verbal Magic now!" she said.

"I know, Uncle Alden had me and Anna learn it after that whole incident at Hog's Head back during our third year which helped rigging some of the matches at Duel Club when I was betting on a fight," I said.

Layla's eyes widen, "that was you? no wonder why it seemed you always seemed to make big bets and win!"

"And ticking Kris off when he seemed to out match someone and still lose after he started winning once he hit three straight victories. Fourth year was great year for me when it came to betting and all," I said smiling.

"You were rigging the bets!?" an unfamilier voice said.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:46 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Professor Starfyre – Charms Class – Enlightening the Third Years

My first day of teaching at Hogwarts had not been as tiring as I had expected, but then again, it had only been the first period. At the end of last year, the Charms Master had given his first years instructions to write a paper on the Dancing Feet Spell and hand it in on the first day of the new school year. Naturally, half of the students had not done so, so their first Charms class was spent actually writing the thing, whereas the other half had a free period. Had I still been a student, I would probably have fallen under the latter – though only because it was Charms – but as I was no longer a student but a professor, I spent the period marking the essays.

When the bell rang, I dismissed the students and they cheerfully filed out of the classroom. I could tell they already thought the new Charms Master would let them get away with murder, but they would have a surprise awaiting them during their next Charms class – I was to start teaching them about the Fire-Making Charm, and if they thought a Champion Duellist would tolerate sloppy wand gestures and half-pronounced incantations, they had another thing coming.

I consulted my timetable: I had the third years next. I quickly scanned through my notes and saw that they too had been given homework – a practical assignment. Pfft, less than half were likely to have done that.

The class filled by small groups, and as the last two students shuffled in, I gestured at the door, causing it to close magically. After introducing myself, quickly going through the roll call and being satisfied with a plenary class, I began my lesson.

“In 1772, an employee of the Ministry of Magic, one Levina Monkstanley, was hard at work, when she dropped her quill. Now, I am sure many of you have done so whilst doing your homework, so you ought to know how much trouble it is finding the blasted thing again. Well, instead of wasting precious time searching through the darkness beneath and around her desk, Madam Monkstanley uttered an incantation and easily found her quill by using the resulting light as a torch.

“Since then, Lumos has become one of the Wizarding world’s most useful spells, not only because it illuminates the caster’s immediate vicinity, but also because of its ability to illuminate unseen entrances.” Several students elbowed each other and whispered excitedly; apparently, they had not known that. “It also has the added benefit of repelling malevolent spirits and various other spectral creatures, as I am sure Professor Bradshaw has taught you. However, it will not work against creatures such as Lethifolds and Dementors – against those, only the Patronus Charm will be effective.”

“Professor,” a girl from the back of the class called, “is it true that you can summon a corporeal Patronus?”

After twirling my wand counter-clockwise, a glowing bat emerged from the tip and flew towards the girl, alighting on her head. She shrieked and tried to brush it off, much to the amusement of her classmates. I let them laugh for another moment or two, chuckling myself, before silencing the class and resuming my lesson.

“Now, while the Wand-Lighting Charm may seem simple, it requires considerable concentration. Failing to do so can result in the accidental ignition of your wand, and any damage done will be permanent. When the spell is casted correctly, a white or lemon-yellow light will emanate from your wand tip. If overcharged, however, the light appear scarlet – should this happen, the charm should be discontinued immediately, as it can also result in your wand setting alight.

“The effects of Lumos can be increased by adding Maxima to the incantation. Generally, Lumos requires that a characteristic loop be made with the wand, but the addition of Maxima requires that the wand gesture be adapted: one must flick one’s wand forwards, draw it back, and then flick it forwards again. Lumos Maxima also requires considerable more concentration than the regular spell, but I believe all of you should be capable of casting the charm without much difficulty. Having said that, you will come forwards individually and demonstrate what consistent practice can do – and you cannot blame the Trace for preventing you from practicing the charm, as it does not register the use of either Lumos or Lumos Maxima.” Many students exchanged guilty glances – just as I had known they would. “In the meantime, you can all open your editions of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Two at page twenty-five and read through the instructions on casting Lumos and its enhanced version.”

The sound of bags being clicked open, books being taken out and pages being turned filled the class. In a desk the closest to me on the right-hand side of the class, one of the two boys who had entered the class last excitedly whispered something to his friend.

“Mister Scarborough, am I correct?” I asked him after consulting my name list again.

The boy immediately stopped talking and answered me nervously, “Umm, yes, Professor.”

“Would you mind being the first to demonstrate the Superior Wand-Lighting Charm to us?” Murmurs erupted from all around and the boy looked at me hesitantly. “Come now, I shan’t bite.”

He gulped and slowly made his way to the front of the class. Flicking and drawing his wand as he had been instructed, he muttered, “Lumos Maxima.”

A few white sparks were emitted from his wand, but nothing more.

“My dear boy, don’t look so distressed! Repeat the wand gesture and incantation, but do so with confidence this time, and remember to concentrate. Take a deep breath, and try again.”

The boy took my advice, once more made the appropriate wand gesture, and cried, “Lumos Maxima!

The whole class, myself included, was blinded for about five seconds, but then the boy – Simon, rather – used the Wand-Extinguishing Charm and allowed us to recover from our scorched retinas.

“Well done!” I called, regaining my normal vision first. “Absolutely well done! Five points to Hufflepuff for overcoming your performance anxiety and for an excellent demonstration!”

Simon beamed at me and returned to his seat, where his friend heartily patted him on the back.

“Alright then,” I asked cheerfully, “who’s next?”
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:21 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Simon Scarborough

So far, my first hours of my third year at Hogwarts had been excellent. I had felt alive that morning when I opened the dormitory window, the one entwined with emerald ivy and buttercup flowers, and sucked in the fresh air.

Something about Hogwarts air is special; I've always wondered if there was some magical charm that affected the morning atmosphere, filling your lungs and healing the stressful concerns of a conscientious Hufflepuff like myself, hoping to perform well on the first day of school.

History of Magic enthralled me, to the complete misunderstanding of Eli and Felix, who I noticed were nearly dying of boredom. I, in turn, have a complete misunderstanding of their disposition in class. Learning about the history of witches and wizards and their connection with Muggles is just so interesting for me. In America, I've grown up with an exclusive knowledge of the Muggle world, with only scraps of information about magic from my dad. Therefore, during class that morning, my mind was fitting everything together, like it would a jigsaw puzzle, as our transparent teacher explained the phenomenon of Wendelin the Weird.

I felt slightly annoyed when Eli asked if she could borrow my notes that night, but when I remembered that she was the reason that I received an "A" in Transfiguration last year, I complied.

The next class on the schedule was Charms, with a classroom that seemed to be situated in the opposite end of the castle. If the passing period had been one second shorter, I believe that my friends and I would have been marked tardy. Fortunately, Professor Starfyre was a lenient teacher, and he was tolerant of our slowness.

The basis of the lesson that day was the charm Lumos Maxima. I payed close attention to the professor as he described the precise motions of the charm, and quickly opened the Charms book when he asked us to. As a flipped through the pages, hunting for page 25, I came across an illustration of a barking dog and a wizard who, as indicated by the speech bubble, was shouting Quietus! and pointing his wand at the dog.

Instantly, I thought of my own canine, Fritz. Glancing over at Eli, I remembered a story that I had forgotten to tell her. I think that I was shocked that I hadn't told her yet. The amusing memory of my dachshund induced me to lean over and tell her the story right in the middle of the class. On the first day of school. Looking back, I feel like a fool.

"Eli!"

She glanced up from her book.

"I forgot to tell you about Fritz and the crow."

She laughed, the genuine sound pleasing to anyone who heard it.

I glanced up at the teacher, then continued. "At the end of June, two crows were in our backyard. I had just given Fritz a bath, so he had no collar on. He was so quiet without it on, and when he saw the crows-"

"Mister Scarborough, am I correct?" the Professor suddenly inquired, watching me with a raised eyebrow.

I slowly sank back into my seat, my heart thudding uncomfortably in my chest.

"Umm, yes, Professor."

"Would you mind being the first to demonstrate the Superior Wand-Lighting Charm to us?"

I glanced at Eli again, who nodded her head reassuringly.

"Come now, I shan’t bite."

I took a deep breath and walked to the front of the room, tightly gripping my redwood wand. I quickly recalled what Professor Starfyre had said, including the extra Maxima section: flick one’s wand forwards, draw it back, and then flick it forwards again...

"Lumos Maxima," I muttered, flicking my wrist back. I realize that I had concentrated too much on the actual motions for the charm, and not the words, for all that my wand produced was a tiny shower of pitiful sparks. I stared at my wand and shook my head.

The Professor asked me to do it again, but with more confidence. I took another deep breath and reattempted the charm, exclaiming "Lumos Maxima!" with a touch of tenacity.

The room exploded in a white light. I was so satisfied with myself that I nearly forgot to undo my charm.

To my delight, Professor Starfyre was exceedingly impressed. "Five points to Hufflepuff for overcoming your performance anxiety and for an excellent demonstration!"

For the rest of the class, students took turns blinding each other. I laughed with the rest of the class when Adam Marshall, a disobedient and notorious Gryffindor who spent a great deal of his evenings in detention, failed to produce a single spark of light from his wand.

After Charms, Eli and Felix eagerly congratulated me on my success. We were all excited that I had already contributed points to the Hufflepuff hourglass.

"What happened to Fritz and the crows?" Eli politely asked as we hurried down one of several staircases on our way to Potions.

I grinned. "Well, Fritz was so quiet without his collar on that the crows didn't even realize he was there until one of them nearly got its foot chomped off."

Eli stopped walking and stared at me, her brow furrowed in concern. "He bit the crow's leg?"

"Yes!" I laughed. "But that's all. The crow flew off, of course."

"Simon, that's terrible!"

Felix patted her on the back. "I'm sure the crow is fine, Eli."

"Fritz could have really hurt that poor creature, though! Simon, promise me you won't let him outside without his collar again."

"I promise."

"What was he doing out there without one, anyway? What if he ran away?"

Before I could reply, Felix said, "We should hurry. We don't want to be late to Potions."
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye