Flames of Darkness [Started| Still Accepting]

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:54 am
View Likes
megsug says...

Eira | Atra | Day 2 and 3

Day 2

I was leaving the dungeons when I saw Lucretia coming my way, looking serious and jingling as always. I'd never understood her jewelry obsession, personally. All trinkets did were get in the way. I crossed my arms when she stopped before me.

"Naki has been poisoned," she announced bluntly.

I went cold, and my first thought went down to the little twerp in a cell. "What?" I demanded, starting to dash up to Naki's room, and stopped at Lucretia's hand gripping my shoulder.

"She'll be fine. I've done what I can. We need to focus on bringing those who did this to justice." Her hand dropped to her side as I stilled against my better judgement. "The knife Cordel used was poisoned."

Though I wasn't very fond of Lucretia, I admired how she would just say what she needed to say. The grip on my staff tightened, and I muttered between gritted teeth, "Then why aren't we headed there right now to put an end to him?"

She gave me a look that reminded me of the reasons behind my rather extreme dislike of her. It was one of disdain mixed with a mocking sort of pity. "Please. We both know of Cordel. He's not the kind for such underhanded dealings. Someone with more than half a brain is behind this, and he's what will lead us to him."

I sighed, pressing my fingers of one hand against an eyebrow. I had no patience for this kind of thing. I just wanted to get it over with. Let me kill whoever I needed to kill, just don't make me wait for some overcomplicated plan. I knew she was right though. "Fine. What do you need? Soldiers? Guards?" I grimaced. "Please tell me you don't need me?"

Lucretia smiled a bit. "Not necessarily. I need him here to get information out of him. Can you arrange that without raising red flags for whoever hired him?"

I cocked my head. "Yes. Yes I can." We parted soon after that.

Day 3

I was stressed. Too many things had gone on in the last two days for me too not fidget when I had to stand still and talk to anyone, to not behead the next person that spoke to me, so I went to the practice grounds and began to practice some manuevers with my staff. The dummy was taking the brunt of my frustrations (and, yes, grief over learning we had lost so many men and General Halfir that morning though I would be telling no one that). Most of the soldiers weren't willing to spar with me any longer. They had learned their lessons. At some point before I knocked the poor thing's head off, I noticed Talon watching. I stopped and looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

"Mind if I have a go?" he asked politely. The men around us began snickering and laying wagers. I wondered idly if they were betting on me or him. If they were betting on him, things would have to change and quickly.

Smirking, I nod, stepping away from the dummy. "I always love a good fight." We soon stood toe to toe. It had been a while since I had fought against two swords, but I was fairly confident. I quickly made the first move, swinging at his ribs.

He blocked easily- not that I was surprised- and struck with his remaining sword. I in turn blocked that and struck upwards. I growled as he ducked under with a smile.

"Its been a while since a mortal has lasted this long against me. You have much to learn though." Mid sentence, as I was trying to accept the fact that the elf had enough nerve to insult me, the bastard kicked my feet out from under her. Gasping for breath, I watched as he swung his blades down and replied with a kick to his chest, making him fly backwards. I got up quickly as he tried to catch his breath.

"Of course the elf is full of himself." I swung at him again, not giving him much time to recover. "I think I've got a few years on you, so I wouldn't be so quick to assume you're better." I feinted at his left hip before swinging up, aiming for his head. He blocked me again, and I laughed. It had been a long time since I'd had a fight this good. I spun around, hoping to catch him off guard as my staff whirled in the air, and staggered a bit when he side stepped it completely.

He began to talk with an all knowing smirk on his face,"Sloppy. Your footing is all wrong. Your wrists don't bend enough and you're letting your emotions control your movement."

I scoffed, glaring at him and put everything I had into the next swing, raising my arms over my head. This elf would learn never to speak to me like this. Again, the bastard stepped out of the way and leaned in close as I recovered my center of gravity.

"To slow," he breathed by my ear.

My eyes narrowed, and I gritted my teeth. This elf was too sure of himself. I straightened up, only to duck under a swing. I let him take the offensive for a while, grudgingly admiring his form. Cocky but good, I thought as I blocked a blow. He swung at my thigh, and I met it with a little more swing than it called for. With a quick upward thrust I was able to make one sword fly out of his hand. I grinned. "Slippery hands?"

He smiled at me. "No. I decided to make the fight more even."

I scoffed as he winked at me and bent down. I considered taking care of him then but knew it would be a low blow. I couldn't have my reputation ruined for one spar.

"Never forget warchief. My people have been a warlike race for centuries." I watched him closely as he picked up his other sword. "I was raised to fight. And my blades do have a few tricks." He clicked the pommels of his swords together, and they joined together. That was quite intriguing. "Now we can fight on even grounds," he said and charged at me.

Before I could get too insulted at the insinuation, I was attacked with a barrage of manuevers.

Forehand, backhand, parry, duck, thrust, and swing. I blocked each quick attack as it came and realized as it went on at an unforgiving pace that he was going straight from the book. I shook my head a little and backed away, continuing to block his strikes. I ignored the men's murmurings when I leaned against my staff, breathing harder than I'm wish to admit. "I'll give you some credit. That was wonderful staff work. But entirely predictable. It's almost as if you've memorized the entire military handbook on basic staff techniques," I managed when he lowered his weapon, looking a little surprised.

He smiled, looking smugger than before if that could be possible." Indeed I did."

I jumped at him when he seemed to relax, coming close to slamming my staff into his shoulder. He moved just in time. I threw every twist I knew at him, thinking at some point he would be surprised. He always reacted quickly enough. Both of our faces shone with seat, and I could hear his breaths as loudly as I'm sure he heard mine. It came to our staffs locked which was dangerous for me. Though I would never say so, I wasn't likely to win a battle of strength. I gave him a smile that was more a grimace and managed through gasps, "Sometimes, you've got to throw the book away." I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but it would have been beautiful whatever it was. I never got a chance to make something up because Naki called, striding through the ring of soldiers.

"Eira! We don't have time for playing."

I took a step back from Talon as he did the same and shrugged, nodding at him. "You've got good technique there. We'll have to finish this some other time."

He bowed to me." Indeed we shall. " I raised an eyebrow as he leaned toward me and whispered in my ear, " I can only say I feel sorry for your husband."

I stiffened, backing away slowly without replying. Surely Talon didn't know about him... I looked back one more time before following the Queen, perplexed.

We stopped when he called out, "Drakon team! Assume duties." Ten soldiers quickly encircled the queen and assumed a defensive circle.

I grinned in approval. The only way to protect Naki was to do so without her permission. To her credit, she was taking it fairly well. She just glanced at Talon curiously.

"Just for protection. Besides. I get to make a visit to the man who assaulted you and dared to challenge you." He cracked his knuckles and bowed as Naki gave an exasperated sigh and waved at me to continue walking. I nodded. Talon could be trusted to arrest Cordel without too much of an outburst.

I leaned over to her and whispered so none of the guards could hear. "See, someone agrees with how I think things should be run."

"Two idiots gathering together doesn't make either of them right," She muttered quietly, sending another annoyed glance at Talon. She hesitated a moment, then glared at me. "Speaking of idiots, did you tell Lucretia that she could give me the choloroform?"

I raised an eyebrow, ignoring the comment about idiots. Naki just hated to be wrong. "Why no. No I didn't."

"I didn't either," she flexed her hand, glaring at it a long moment. "I didn't tell her she could do a lot of things... oh well." She shook herself. "Are you busy? I need to talk to you about some things."

I shook my head. "I'm at your service. What things do I need to know?"

"That this needs to be a private conversation." She lifted a letter, waving it at me. "And I'll tell you more when we get to my rooms?"

I frowned at the letter. In the last few weeks I had realized that letters rarely carried good news. We walked with the circle of guards around us and were allowed into her rooms alone with relative ease. I glared at the men as I walked past. "I catch any hint of eavesdropping, and none of you will be on the pay roll anymore, understand?" I closed the door at their salute and turned to face Naki. "What's in the letter?"

"He finally decided to answer, for once," She sighed, throwing the letter down on the desk. "You can look at it yourself. It looks like we're going to Genor."

Skimming through the letter quickly, I felt a strange mix of happiness, forboding, and annoyance that squeezed my chest. I was glad we were finally getting things done instead of playing this silly game of spies and assassins, but I knew that going to Genor would require a lot of diplomatic time wasting which I never had patience for. A voice in the back of my head whispered that it wasn't wise to trust anyone, not Genor by going into their country without an idea of what lay behind the borders or Neko by getting close to the bastards. "This is definitely... a step forward," I murmured, handing the letter back.

"Step forward? This is more than that. I've been sending Genor letters for weeks now."

I step forward and study her for a long moment, wondering if she would be ready for this after everything she had- and was still- recovering from. "Are you sure we can trust them, Naki?" I asked slowly, wanting to ask if she really thought she could handle this right now.

"No," she answered with a shrug. "But I know that I can't trust Rhames."

Sighing, I shrug. "I don't see how we can't go. We leave tomorrow?"

"I haven't decided, yet... I'm kinda thinking I might head out tonight, find my own route, then let a nervous Talon bring his procession the way the Genorians are expecting us to come tomorrow... or whenever he realizes I'm missing."

I laugh, knowing I should hate the idea, but loving Naki for suggesting it. "Well, I will refuse to be left behind."

"I know," she grinned. "That's the reason I'm telling you-- so you can plan rather than come hunting me down in the middle of the night."

Rolling my eyes, I murmur, "How kind of you. If you don't need anything else, Talon should be back soon, bringing me a prize. I need to go ask Cordel a few questions." I flash a fierce grin.

"That sounds like fun," she took a step forward, swayed, and caught herself using her desk, huffing a sigh. Her mouth pressed into a hard line as her eyes narrowed. I stopped myself from rushing to her side, knowing she wouldn't like me to hover. "Maybe I'll just watch..."

Frowning darkly, I shook my head. "No. What you're going to do is rest, so that you're ready for tonight." I push her towards the bed, ignoring her complaints and curses. Finally, when I had forced her to sit, I said softly, "I'm just worried so is Lucretia, and if we both agree, surely you realize that it must be right. At least pretend to rest for me until I'm out of here? Then get up and try to work yourself to death again?"

She glared at me in return, and I gave her a sickly sweet smile, walking away already. "See? I'm leaving. You'll only have to pretend for a few more seconds." She threw some not so complementary words my way, but they hit the door. I shook my head and strode away, excited to have a chance to play with Cordel.

Spoiler! :
Let me know if I got your character wrong. :3
Test

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:04 am
View Likes
dragonthief1 says...

Talon/ Atra

Smiling to myself I entered the tavern with four men. all Who seemed quite nervous. " Where is the man known as Cordel!?" I shouted.
Instantly a large man stood up. "Who's asking?" I grinned. The man was already drunk. This would be too easyy.
"A new friend.. After your fight with the queen, her majesty would he like to extend a personal invitation to you to join her private guard."
He looked dumbfounded then grinned at his friends and bowed mockingly." I would be honored." I tried to avoid laughing. This would be much too easy.
On our way to the castle Cordel noticed the men manning the walls."What are elves doing guarding the queen?"
I smirked."Welcome to the royal guard." A soldier hit him over the head with a bludgeon then proceeded to whack him again for good measure. I waved over two of the minotaur guardmen. "Carry this load of blubber to the interrogation room." They nodded and proceeded to carry him away.
I noticed Eira walking towards me. I dismounted as she approached.
She glanced around as the new guardsmen began filling the barracks and the old ones where led away. "I see your new men have arrived."
I grinned in pride. "50 elven guardians, 35 dwarves who will make great night watch with their ability to see well in the dark, 30 humans and with luck 15 minotaur warriors. Nothing will get past them. Not even Cordel." She grinned and began following the minotaurs dragging away Cordel. I grabbed her shoulder. She froze and glared at me. "50 gold peices to whoever breaks him first?"
She grinned at me."You're on captain."

We began to wake Cordel up with a splash of water to the face. Spluttering, he glared at me. "Ya bastardly elf I'll skin you alive!" he shouted. I punched him in the nose then checked my hand. I heard a snicker and turned and saw Eira wrapping a bandage around her hand.
Smirking she said,"You'll bruise your hands too easily." As she cocked her fist back Lucreitia Borgelia marched in. "Stop this nonsense immediately."
I left the room immediately noticing the look on Eira's face. As we stepped out I said, "Does this mean I win?" She glared at me and threw a punch at my face. Laughing, I sidestepped it and grinned when she laughed as well. Her yellow eyes brightened. I smiled and said, "So a tie then?"
She grinned and shrugged." I guess. It looks like we're destined for ties."
I gave her 25 gold coins and pocketed the rest. "What does your husband have to say about you being the warchief?"
She tensed up like a cat ready to pounce than said, "I'm not with him anymore." I was honestly suprised.
I shrugged." Sucks for him. I wouldn't have left you." Her head whipped around to stare at me. "I mean I'm not saying it like that. It's just in my culture warrior women are considered to be great Warriors, and that they have control over their own destiny." I smiled."Would you consider going to get a drink with me? I know a really good tavern. Most soldiers go there." Eira shrugged. "Sure. Now that our fun is ruined I wouldnt mind a drink. It's been stressful lately."

When we reached the golden Swan I recognized one of the horses. "Good gods it's Turgood." I turned to Eira. "This night should prove to be eventful." The instant we stepped into the room everyone quieted down. The tavern was filled with the city guard. And Some of Turgood's personal soldiers. I nodded respectfully at Turgood and sat at the bar. Eira glared at everyone and sat next to me."I'll have an apple ale."
I turned to Eira who said," I'll have the same."
I leaned in and whispered, "Have you ever had an apple ale?" She shook her head. I smirked and said, "Well then you are in for a suprise."
She glanced at me suspiciously then our drinks came. I openened mine with my dagger and handed the blade to Eira Which she used to open her drink. Grinning I watched her as she took her first swig. First her eyes bulged out then she spat the drink out. "Why is it so strong!?" she asked. I wiped tears from my eyes as I chuckled.

"First of all you never swig apple ale unless you have a death wish. It's super strong but not even alchoholic. It's a good drink." I grinned at her. "You get used to the taste after a while." I noticed someone sit next to me.
"And how is the captain of the guard and warchief doing this fine night?" Turgood's oily voice spoke out. I grimaced. He smelt sickly sweet, like the perfumes women wear. Even Eira gagged a little. "I hope you two enjoy your evening." SmilIng to himself, he walked off.
I rolled my eyes and turned to Eira. "Are you ready to go now?" She nodded and we left the bar and headed to the castle.
"I don't like him." Eira said. I smiled. "Not many people do. He has a good amount of the city guard in his pocket and some of the older royal guard. The man is too ambitious and power hungry. I would fear for the kingdom if he were at the head of it." We pulled our horses to a stop in front of the palace stables."I Thank you for accompanying me war cheif."
Eira smiled at me. "Call me Eira." I smiled to myself and nodded as she walked away. In my heart I had a strange yearning to go after her. I shook my head to clear my thoughts and headed for my quarters.

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 am
dragonthief1 says...

Daliyan Fornost/ Genor

"Both Blody Nations are coming here!?" I exclaimed. King Balik glared at me." Sir Fornost, you have your orders. Prepare the army. I want to send a message that Genor is not week. Make sure the army is ready to put on a show." He turned to leave when i said," What army your majesty?" He glanced angrily at me."What do you mean?" I looked at him." Sir, most men have returned to their families. at most, i can muster 800 soldiers to be ready when the King and Queen arrive. If i had another week, i could find more, but right now... I'm not sure i can manage."
The king grabbed me by my collar and jerked me to face him." By the gods you make it happen. Our land is at the breaking point, and if Neko and Atra see that we have no army, how soon before you think the first raiding party would try for the pass? How many wizards or mages will be trying to bring down Hunter's enchantments? My people are at the breaking point, and if i can not protect them..." he trailed off and backed away, a weary look passing over him, making him look like a haggard old man. He straitened himself." Sir Fornost, i beg you to do what you can. For this land and it's people. For your home." He watched me as i began to pace my room. Unconciously, I began to stroke the scar on my neck." Why do you do that?" Balik asked suddenly.
I smiled grimly." When I was approaching my eighteenth year, my younger brother began to plot my death. I knew nothing of this, neither did my parents. It turns out he sought my place as First Born, and wanted to be the next Duke Of the Forest. During a hunting trip, he threw a spear at me. Instead of hitting me it hit my horse, killing it instantly. He claimed he thought i was a deer, but it dawned on me when I began to court Lady Delilah of a neighboring feifdom. He wanted her and my position. When our father died, instead of taking my new position, i took our family's ancestral armour, and I gave my brother my positon. He ordered me to be banished. I left, fearing for my life. As I was leaving, he shot an arrow at me, and skimmed my neck. My brother is my sworn enemy, though I have done nothing to deserve it." The king nodded and clapped me on the shoulders and looked me in the eyes." You will always have a home at my hearth Daliyan. Never forget that." I smiled and bowed." I can not think of no greater blessing." I turned around and strode to my closet. Opening it i pulled out my father's sword.
" My father fought in the war with this. When your grandfather began his great conquest. He was a mighty warrior, and the lives he took numbers in the thousands. My father was but 14 summers." I turned and bowed low to the king." I have an idea to strengthen the army, but you may not like it." The king shifted uneasily then nodded for me to contiue." Ask Hunter if he can create an illusion. Have our soldiers intermixed with phantoms of soldiers so it may seem real. If Hunter cannot do this, you must blow the horn of Moran." The king looked at his feet." The horn has not been blown in hundreds of years Daliyan. It is only for emergencys."
I glanced at him." My leige, is this not an emergency?" He looked me in the eye and nodded." I will see what i can do. The horn must be a last ditch effort. Im not sure if Hunter could handle the stress either." I bowed and began to place on my armour." Meanwhile, I will go about the land with my Battalion and see what i can muster. I will also head to the Black mountains. Hopefully the Dwarves there will answer your call." The King glanced at me quickly." And if they don't answer my plea, then they will kill you." I grinned." The Golden Battalion of Genor has put down many things. I'm sure we can handle this my leige. Since I will be taking 300 men with me, that means 500 will be remaining. I will send all men we can find to the Dalohair plains, at most I can raise 6,000 swords among our country men. But Atra just sent 12,000 to put down a rebellion. And that isnt accounting for their other 15,000 soldiers and Neko's infamous Black Guard."
I smiled at my king." I will do what I can. Though the Dwarves would certainly cause you no need to waste Hunter's magic, or blow the Horn of Moran." I bowed as i left to gather my troops, leaving the king alone to his musings.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:05 pm
View Likes
Craz says...

Diagoras Kache
Princess of Genor | Day Three

"I don't think this is necessary." Diagoras said, her voice flat.

"Nonsense, Your Grace. Now, stop slouching." Her lady in waiting replied.

Diagoras tried not to sigh, but stood straighter, holding her chin out, her arms held straight from her shoulders. Her hair, instead of in its customary braid, had been toppled onto the top of her head and was haphazardly held together by clips just to keep it out of the way. Dressmakers flitted about her, picking at imaginary imperfections on the dress she wore, and a couple of them were working with something in the back. All she knew was that it was gold. A few feet away, the head dressmaker stood, surveying the work and Diagoras herself with the meticulous eye that reminded her of the rich merchants that occasionally visited. She'd never particularly liked them.

Everything about the slightly portly man was odd. He was dressed in bright flamboyant colors; his suit was a pale yellow, his vest crimson red, and his scarf was purple, neatly tucked inside of his white shirt. He wore a hat that looked as if it hadn't been put on evenly, and it matched his suit. His shoes hasn't appeared to ever see a speck of dirt and were whiter than Diagoras's sheets when they were cleaned. His hair was short except at the very top where the blonde strands all flopped to one side of his head, the same direction where the hat was, and his face was neither attractive nor ugly, only lined with middle age. His eyes were beady and black and they reminded her of Thyra's bird.

She had been informed, moments before properly meeting the man, that he would be the one in charge of her wardrobe from now on. She watched him out of the corner of her eye as he slowly began to circle her, his expression difficult to comprehend.

"... Your Grace?" She heard, and she started.

"Ah, yes Reginald?" She said, turning towards her tutor who sat in the corner of the room, a book in his lap and more spread haphazardly across the desk. He stuttered and adjusted his small spectacles, then glanced down in his sheepish way.

Despite his shy habits and slightly bowed head, Reginald's voice was strong, as it always was when he tutored her. Diagoras figured it had something to do with the man's passion for knowledge. "It is important for you to know the current state of or neighbors, Your Grace. They will be visiting within a few days, and they will most likely be early as well."

Yes, yes, she thought, I am well aware. She didn't voice it, however, and nodded curtly instead, motioning for him to start over. It was the sudden pressure she felt that was making her snappy and anxious.

"... The Queen of Atra has been known to act on impulse, as well as her guard, which she will be bringing with her to the capital. The Queen's guard is very loyal to the crown and has been seen provoked to violence when they feel their Queen is threatened. Two days ago, actually, the Queen was Challenged by a peasant man and won by the skin of her teeth, and will most likely still bare certain injuries from the fight when she visits. The Queendom of Atra is famous for its rather - say - uncivilized way of solving issues. You must be careful not to insult them, Your Grace, unless you wish to resolve whichever conflict their way. Besides that, they shouldn't be too much of an issue.

"The King of Neko is another problem. He is a bastard, a product of the previous King's indulgences, and that it was simply by chance that he became the heir to the thrown. Rumors say that he is a mage as well, though I wouldn't rely on that information too much. Even if he seems pleasant on the outside, this man is cold and ruthless - do not trust him.

"He is dangerous, Your Grace, and must be handled with extreme caution."

Diagoras looked upon her tutor and his kind eyes were harder than she had ever seen them before. They held some deeper meaning in them; a gash that hadn't scabbed over yet. There was a moment of silence, and then Diagoras yelped as a sharp pain resonated from her back.

"I apologize, Your Grace," one of the younger dressmakers said from behind. The interruption released the tension in the room and Diagoras breathed deeply, releasing a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. Reginald continued, and the princess focused on his words, staring out of the large window where gardeners worked on the plush green bushes.

A short while later the head dressmaker, who informed her to call him by Avis instead of his real name, told her she could change into her everyday clothes and she did so gratefully. She noticed, with slight wariness, that when she had emerged from behind the dressing screen, Avis had viewed her simple pale grey dress with a frown of disdain. She hoped he wouldn't get any ideas about that, too.

Excusing herself, she politely left the dressmakers to their work. Once she was out of view she quickly tore down her hair, a pin or two plinking to the ground, and worked with swift fingers, braiding her hair back and out of the way. She walked along the hallways, making her way toward the palace guard garrisons. She figured that, with the surplus of training the guards were enduring, that a boost of morale a visit might give them might be well deserved.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:17 am
View Likes
queerelves says...

Ardryll Tamsin
Rhames' Advisor | Day One

I woke up to a sharp pain—in my sides, my back, my chest. My whole torso burned, throbbed; the unexpected pain almost made me shout. Everything hurt, and once the grogginess cleared, I remembered why. Last night had gotten rough—pleasantly rough—and Rhames had covered me in cuts. My night was painful but pleasurable; hopefully Rhames had as good a time as I did.

I didn't have to open my eyes to know that he hadn't gotten out of bed yet, hadn't woken up. His breathing was slow and deep, almost rhythmic. He was warm, warmer than the rest of the bed, and I adjusted myself just enough to lay my head on his chest. I didn't dare to move anymore, afraid of breaking open the cuts.

His bed was comfortable, more comfortable than mine, and I didn't want to get up. I had nearly fallen asleep again when I finally felt him shift and brush the hair out of my face. I smiled when he touched me, and I was almost tempted to pretend I was still asleep so I could contine lying there. But I knew I couldn't, so instead I opened my eyes just enough to see him. "Good morning," I mumbled, more tired than I had thought.

"Morning." He barely muttered it, and he didn't seem glad to have to get out of bed; then again, neither was I. He turned to look at the wall, and I followed his gaze to the shadows that the curtains made. I didn't understand his facination with it. I didn't have time to question it before he looked back at me and asked, "Are you alright?" He looked down at the marks, seemed proud of what he had left there.

The cuts were deep, and I knew they would take a long time to heal. They would hurt until they scarred, and probably afterwards, too. "Mm, alright enough." I carefully ran my hand over my chest and winced. The cuts were patterned, artful, and I took a moment to appreciate them. "Worth it, at least."

"Of course it was." He smirked at me, pulling away just enough to admire the marks. I yelped when he prodded one. "It's not quite as visible as the one on the other side."

"Mmhm." I finally pulled myself sitting up, trying to avoid leaning on the cuts anymore than I had to. I could feel the ones on my stomach start to bleed again, and I looked down at them. "Quite the night."

I closed my eyes and felt the mattress shift when Rhames sat up and yawned. I glanced over at him as he pulled at his shirt; it was bloody, sweaty, but I knew he wouldn't take it off. Not when I was there, at least. He turned to me. "Does that mean you'll let the scars stay?" His voice was devious. "Or just heal yourself the moment you leave my sight?"

I had done it before, healed myself after I left, but I had no intentions of doing it again; I could appreciate them more this time. "I think I'll leave them."

I slowly ran my hands over the marks, tracing them with my fingers but wincing as I did so. Once I had drawn my hand over all of the cuts I could see, I moved it to rest on Rhames' thigh. He was instantly aware—overly aware—of it. I expected him to do the same, repay the gesture, or move towards me. Instead, he surprised me and said, "What would you think about going to Genor in a day or two?"

Genor? Why bring it up now?I was used to him doing this, changing subjects in a second, but I was always thrown off when he did it in bed. "What?"

"Genor," he said again, slowly starting to draw patterns on the back of my hand; I resisted the urge to move it further up his leg. I don't know why Genor suddenly came to his mind, and I didn't bother trying to figure out his train of thought. "I'm pretty sure I'll get called there, or if I don't then I'll just go anyway... So what do you think?"

I didn't think about it before sayign, "I'll go. What's happening in Genor?" I didn't care. I don't even know why I asked—I had a lot better things I could've said—and when Rhames chuckled, I knew he could tell that I was far more interested in other things.

"I have no idea," he said. "But it's been a while, neither of my cousins sent as much as a single assassin to take care of me..." Was he complaining about that? He seemed almost offended. "I'd guess they're busy warring with each other, but I'd have heard about that already if it were so. Hence, probably planning, and knowing Balik, it might mean some peace offerings. Or false peace offerings, but I'll take what I get." He started to trail off. Stop talking about this. "He also has a sister."

"Mm. Perhaps we should propose an alliance and get their help in taking over Atra." I felt myself getting interested. Shit, don't say anything more. Don't start a conversation about this. We were in bed, undressed—or at least I was—and I was getting interested in wars. I tried to stop myself from talking anymore, but I couldn't. "Genor will be easy to handle if Atra is gone."

I sighed once I had gotten out all I wanted to say. Desperate to return his attention to me, I said, "This isn't quite pillow talk."

"Was I ever good at pillow talk?" I chuckled as he moved, turning towards me and looking me in he eyes. When he narrowed his eyes, and I expected a kiss, a touch; instead, he said, "What would you do if I got married," What? "And there was some strange belief that it's unethical for me to sleep with other people at the same time? Would it matter, in any way?"

Where the hell did this come from? I stiffened, hesitated, and took a long time to think about my answer. I didn't want to tell him that I would care, that I would be jealous, but I didn't want to lie. Instead, I avoided the question and hoped he wouldn't notice. "Since when were you ethical?" I asked slowly. "Besides, who would you be marrying?" Why would you even care what I think?

He shrugged, talked casually like a marriage would be no big deal. It almost made me angry. "My cousin has two sisters - and well, there are my cousins, or at least one if it must be a woman. Some of them has to be old and free enough, and what better way to seal an alliance...?" He smirked this time, continuing with, "You're right, I'm not the ethical type, not at all." He turned, rested his hands on either side of me, and hovered close enough to kiss me—but he didn't. "I don't even quite understand what it means, only that it seems painfully uninteresting." There we go.

"If you married them, I think it may be frowned upon to kill them later," I said, smiling—smiling too much—and I slid my hand over his shoulder. He knew that I wanted no alliance with the other kingdoms. We would do much better without any of the kingdoms around, and we would have so much more power. "I don't know if anyone you married would appreciate me in your bed." Because I plan on staying here.

"True... That makes no sense..." No, it doesn't. He shook his head, and I knew the talk of marriage was over when he placed his hands on my chest and shoved me back on the bed. He ignored the cuts and ignored my yelp. "I, however, quite appreciate that, for the record."

The sudden burst of pain didn't keep me from knotting my hands in his hair and pulling him down with me. "I'd prefer to stay in your bed. I can't say I'm a fan of change."

He chuckled. "That much I know. You've been on the same post since, what, my childhood?" He was right. I hadn't thought about it for a long time, but I'd been here for years. I was here when his father ruled, and I was here before he had even come to the kingdom. I had a sudden flash of memories, of him as a child. "I'd rather not imagine you as a kid while we're in bed..." I trailed off, watched him smile at me and glance at the knife on the bedside table. Please pick it up. I closed my eyes as he kissed me, carefully arching towards him and running my hands down his sides. When I slept with people, I was usually on the giving end. But now, knowing how this side felt, I couldn't get enough of it.

He trailed his fingers down my chest, gently touching all of the unmarked places.

When I opened my eyes, I could tell that his thoughts were somewhere else. He looked distant, vaguely... troubled? I didn't pay much attention to it, continuing to let my hands travel over him, over his hips and below. When I kissed him and got no response, I finally sighed and asked, "What's wrong? You're being distant."

"It's nothing," he said. He almost snapped it at me, and when he ran a finger over one of the cuts I was almost sure that it was on purpose. "I was just thinking."

He changed the subject again, but this time for the better. "I was considering adding some details to this," he touched the patterns on my chest "...but I figured that you-"

Before I could tell him, please do, there was a knock on the door. I groaned, and Rhames frowned at it. He only glanced at it for a moment for turning back to me and smiling again.

The knocks stopped, and suddenly the door swung open. Are you kidding me?

"Your Highness, you're needed--" The girl—was that Sita?—stopped in the doorway, and I smirked at her expression. She glanced between Rhames and me, looking almost like she had forgotten what she was about to say. I huffed, and I was sure that they both heard it.

"Go ahead," Rhames called. He leaned away from me, but didn't completely pull away. "Either say what you came to say, or leave us be and I'll ask later." Sita seemed hesitant, and I could tell that Rhames was amused. "...You can join us, if you're so inclined."

I don't know if I've ever seen someone look so horrified. She went red, and I couldn't keep myself from laughing. Rhames seemed like he was struggling to keep himself from chuckling, too.

He wasn't as amused when Sita started to talk—and neither was I. But when I snapped, told her to leave, she didn't even acknowledge me. That's when I stopped paying attention, only catching bits and pieces of their conversation. Rhames was apparently underprotected, he needed more guards. It got interesting when she told him he couldn't protect himself, but I stopped caring after a moment. Staring at Rhames was more entertaining to me, watching him and running my hands over his chest, his sides, his thighs. I gave up when I realized that Sita wouldn't leave, instead settling for sighing and closing my eyes.

I only opened them when I felt Rhames move himself, getting up from the bed and changing into proper clothes. I didn't pay attention again until I heard Rhames tell me to stay, that he'd be needing me later.

I smirked, asked, "Should I get dressed, or am I good as I am?"

With a huff and an unhappy look, he said, "I'll need you dressed." But before he left, he leaned over to kiss me, holding it long enough to Sita to get visibly annoyed.

Good.

Spoiler! :
Sorry, first person isn't my forte xP
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:03 pm
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

Sita-War Chief|Neko|Day 1

The first thing I wasn't expecting to see wen I walked into the King's chambers was him in bed with another man, though I can't say i'm suprised.

"Go ahead" he said. "Either say what you came to say, or leave us be and I'll ask later."

I was reluctant to leave. Truth be told, I wouldn't have even come in here if I hadn't noticed the lack of security The King had. I mean, what in the world was he thinking? Did he have a death wish. I would gladly fulfill it if he wished it so. As to me not being able to stop staring, I was at a loss as to why.

The King Raised an eyebrow. "...You can join us, if you're so inclined."

Holy hell. I couldn't do anything about how red my face turned at the offer. I just cleared my throat. "If you mena come into your room while you sleep, then anyone who wanted could be so inclined."

He grinned slowly. "I meant, when I'm wide awake, like right now.. But if finding me asleep is more of a your thing, I do like experimenting."

That just made me roll my eyes. "Of course you would. It seems you also like to experiment with your life. Where are the guards that should be with you at all times?"

After a few moments of being quiet, his guest sighed and sat up in the bed--though he still didn't bother to cover himself. "Please, invite them in to watch us have sex," he deadpanned.

I just gave him a look that let him know I wasn't paying much attention to him and looked back towards Rhames.

He cut in again to ask, "Could you pick a better time for this? We were in the middle of something, if you didn't notice." He frowned at me and gave a long look to Rhames, but I ignored him again.

"I don't know." the King shrugged. "There was no need for them to be here, so I'm guessing the gardens, they're wonderful at this time of the year."

He cut in again to ask, "Could you pick a better time for this? We were in the middle of something, if you didn't notice." He frowned at me and gave a long look to Rhames.

I took a deep breath. My temper as of late, was getting very short. I didn't know what the cause iof it was, but I had to keep an especially tight reign on them, since i'd began learning fire Magic. Anytime I couldn't tapm down my temper, flames would pop out of my hands. I could already see the smoke radiating from them. Maybe fire magic just gave me a hot temper, no pun intended.

"So if someone were to come into your room at night..." I roll my shoulders. "How wonderful the gardens are would be the last thing on your mind."

He raised his eyebrow slightly. "Are you implying I can't protect myself?"

"Yes and no." I shrug.

"Yes and no?" His voice was colder now. "That better turn into a definite no before I feel the need to demonstrate."

"Then no," I said flatly. "and threaten all you like. You know those don't work on me."

"I don't threaten with anything I wouldn't be ready to do.. even if I never did, yet." He gave me a charming smile. "So, you're worried about my safety and think guards should watch over me and die trying to fight someone who'd try to kill me?"

"I can say the same as about myself," I say. "and all i'm saying is that you should take your safety seriously. You may have stron magic, but anyone can over power you if they get close enough, hence the guards."

The King sighed. "My magic works up close as well, you know."

"Not my point. and you know it," I sigh.

"Fine.." He got up, taking his belt from the floor in the process and carefully putting it in its place. "I can't win a physical fight - even if I was in any way interested in having one - so I need guards, because every king needs guards and that's how it goes?" He stood in front of the mirror, drew his hand in front of himself and his clothes changed. "I don't like being constantly followed around."

The man in his bed kept his eyes locked on Rhames, taking in what he could and huffing when he was fully clothed again.

"Well, if you're just going to rely solely on your magic, then youre not as smart as I though you were. You can't just bank everything on your magic. It's bound to get you killed, no matter how strnong you are. You might be able to get away with having less guards if you knew how to defend yourself. Look at me. My magic is strong, and my fighting is even stronger. I can defend myself both ways, and it's close to impossible for anyone to touch me." I lean against the wall.

"I should strive to be more like you," he replied flatly and then turned to the man in the bed.

I rolled my eyes. "That's not at all what I was saying, and you know that. Stop twisting my words."

"Your wish is my command." The King smirked a bit, keeping his eyes on his guest. He didn't seem amused at all. "Ardryll, I need to talk to you later, so don't leave." The King looked at me again. "Can we continue this discussion somewhere else? Like the gardens? The guards might actually be there, so you can yell at them for listening to me."

Ardryll smiled, smirked, really, at him. "Should I get dressed, or am I good as I am?"

I barked a laugh.

Rhames said, "I'll need you to get dressed."

He leaned over, kissing the irritating prick in his bed. I sighed to myself, waiting for him to finish.

Spoiler! :
Sorry it took so long! @AriaAdams @queerelves and everyone else! Just let me know if I need to change anything. xD
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:07 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Rhames A. Esteri
King of Neko | The Throne Room (mostly) | Day One

I knew this would be a long day the moment I saw that shadow being wrong.

As Sita entered the room, I was still in good enough mood to reply to her comments with jokes and sarcasm - for a while. I could see Ard getting annoyed by her as she started telling me of my weaknesses, and I had to remind myself not to demonstrate anything on my subjects. I knew Sita as well as I knew Ard, and I trusted them both - as much as I could let myself trust anyone - but if I had to choose between staying in bed with him or arguing with her, I'd have preferred the former.

I barely managed to pull away from Ard, gently biting his lip in the process, as another person walked in. Sammi looked alarmed too, and I neither could nor wanted to hide my annoyed expression. At least her concerns aren't about you being too weak to defend yourself. I listened to her speaking, nodding slightly and making short remarks as I watched Ard getting dressed, and sighed as she finished.

"Alright," I muttered. "Let's take this out of here. I like my chambers less.." I searched for a word which wouldn't make them want to argue more. "..wordy."

Sita nodded. "Indeed, the throne room should--"

"The gardens," I cut, flashing them all a smile. "We can sit outside and talk.. with guards, of course... I'm sure fresh air will only do us good." And hopefully get my mind to find something other than last night or trip to Genor to think about.

I left my room with all three of them. Sammi walked next to me on one side and Sita on the other, and I was painfully aware of the difference in their heights. Ardryll was a few steps ahead, looking in between of bored and annoyed. For a moment I considered giving him some kind of task somewhere just so he could leave - which he would obviously prefer over wandering the castle with us - but watching all three of them glance at each other and watch each other's moves was too amusing to miss out on. I suppressed a sigh at the sight of the guards everywhere, focusing on my trio again instead.
I smirked slightly at the way Sammi was observing me, and everything else around us, as we were walking towards the gardens - carefully and casually, but without doubt missing nothing. I followed the direction of her eyes and stopped.

"Sir?"

I frowned, pointing at a picture at the end of the hall. It was crooked to the left - a little bit, but more than enough to be obvious. I turned to a guard standing by the wall, one of those who kept discretely following me around as if I couldn't protect myself. "Why does it look like that?"

He muttered an apology of some sort - or more likely, an excuse - and separated from the wall as I gave him a pointed look, rushing down the hall to fix the painting. I looked at him with my eyebrow raised for a while. Even when he fixed it, the picture seemed a bit crooked.

"I changed my mind," I said. "Let's not go to the gardens." I turned to the left, walking on and letting them follow. "Throne room will do."

I ignored the faces they all made, well aware that the throne room was where they suggested we discussed the whole situation, and kept my pace until I reached it - then I stopped again.
Something was wrong, and it took me a moment to realise how little sense it made. The throne room was different - it was moving, the ceiling bouncing up and down and the columns melting into the carpet, only to drip from above and turn into columns again a moment later. The windows blinked at me as I looked at them. Their shapes were changing, and one of them showed the tree upside down, before blinking again and suddenly rushing towards us, separating from the wall. I stepped back instinctively, bumping into Ardryll.

"Sir.."

"The windows," I cut. "They'll.. crush us." That's wrong. Windows don't do that. What's going on?

Ardryll gave me a confused look before locking his eyes on the floor again. "If by windows will crush us you mean carpet is on fire--"

I shook my head, closing my eyes as a window blinked again, moving over us like a giant mouth before turning into tiny versions of itself. This shouldn't be possible. I knew what was going on - in one moment, I was completely sure. Then the moment passed, and the thought dispersed along with the miniature windows. Vines were creeping over the floors and walls - which kept bending inwards and then stretching, turning a room into a huge ball every couple of seconds - and their leaves changed colours.
Magic, I thought hazily, taking a step forward again. I didn't know anyone in the castle - anyone in the kingdom - with strong enough magic to do something like this, though. Maybe it's the guard.. He grumbled about the picture. It must've been a trap..

I looked up at my throne, trying to calm down. It was familiar, and comfortingly symmetrical. It couldn't have been affected, could it? The throne was looking at me. Oh good, it's awake.

Wait..

I frowned. It wasn't the throne looking at me - it was a person, on the throne. I nearly chuckled. Idiot. Of course it's a person. The throne's eyes are green. Definitely not that shade of blue.. is there anything that shade of blue?

I was curious, and more amused than worried now, even though it was hard to approach him from all the pictures sliding down the walls and melting into a puddle around my feet. Obviously, it was a gift, maybe one of Ardryll's friends. But he's on my throne.. Heh. That's amusing. I want a throne in my bedroom.

"Hey," I muttered, leaning my head a bit to the side. He's getting higher.. oh wait, it's just me getting smaller. Why am I getting smaller? I could feel the puddle under my knees now too, and my head was starting to hurt. I'm a little bit dizzy. I would like to sit there now.

"You know, I appreciate it. But I'm not so much into switching roles." I smirked. No, don't even consider it. I blinked again. The room wasn't moving anymore, and the only thing under my knees was a thin layer of ice, spreading from my hands. Why the hell am I-- I frowned. There was no one on my throne anymore - instead, a figure was standing right in front of me, looking down.

"Oh, your Majesty? And yet you are on your knees before me." He offered a hand. "Stand, lord Rhames. Disrupt the turning of the cogs, and the whole machine stops. You, however, still have some turning to do." The eyes twinkled.

"Who are you?" I stood up, feeling somewhat unsure on my own legs, for the first time in quite a few years. Judging on the sounds of Ard, Sita and Sammi carefully approaching behind me, they didn't feel any better. I more felt than saw both Ardryll and Sita drawing their weapons, and I shook my head slightly, not taking my eyes off the stranger in my throne room. "Wait.. how did you do that?"

He stepped back and gave an elaborate bow, bending neatly at the waist. "My name, my lord," he said, not taking his eyes off the floor, "is Upoptos Thespeios of Memojkìa. I am the greatest enchanter alive. I have come to talk to you about machines."

"Visitor from a land that no longer exists." I smiled slightly. "Well that's certainly.. unexpected." Interesting, even. But not an answer to my question. "I would bid you welcome to my kingdom, but it seems you already made yourself feel at home." I walked past him, approaching the throne and then turning to him again instead of sitting down. "I've never met a person who could affect me in that way, I give you that. What is it that you want to talk to me about, precisely?"

Upoptos smiled widely, straightening like a cobra lunging for its prey. The skin, pulling up, revealed what could have been a gash, a virulent scar. Part of his lip was missing. "Do you play chess, my lord?"

I nodded absentmindedly, observing him. I wondered about the bandages, and what they were for - for a moment, I wondered if they were even there, but decided I could trust my eyes now. Maybe he's hiding something.. Imperfections, the same way as you. I narrowed my eyes as I looked up to his again, suppressing the need to glance towards the windows just in case they started moving again. "I do play, yes." I turned towards my trio. Ardryll and Sita were still eyeing Upoptos. Sammi was eyeing me, and I was pretty sure they were all equally wary. "It's alright," I told them. "We'll discuss the thing a bit later.. You're free to leave us now." I didn't say it like an order, wondering if they're curious enough to stay, and I turned my attention back to Upoptos again the moment later. "You're a human.. but your eyes don't look so."

"Chess, my lord," Upoptos said, smoothly, "is a game that allows us to observe the truth of life -- the struggle for total supremacy. It is a mirror into the machine's workings. Therefore I think it appropriate we discuss our motives over such a game. Also, the gardens are very pleasant at this time."

"Very well.." I straightened a fold on my glove, taking a moment to check if it was covering all the fingers to exactly the same spot, just a bit over the middle joint. I looked up again, nodding slightly to a guard by the door, who was listening to our conversation. He left without a word. "We'll have it ready in a couple of minutes. Until then, tell me, what is it that you feel needs be discussed? I have heard stories about your land, but what happened to it wasn't my doing. Have you already payed a visit to my cousins as well?"

The man with the sapphire eyes nodded. "What happened to my kingdom was due to the inexorable clashing of two machines, striving for the same goal. Mnemojkìa was uninterested in its games, and thus was crushed. I have come here to topple that machine, my lord, and establish a new way for it to turn, where the sum of the parts is not slave to the whole. You are a man with the power to make the machine turn in this way, and as such I wished to discuss how to go about this with you. My stay in Neko has been long, and I have not visited the other kingdoms yet."

Without much more than a nod, I lead the way out, and Upoptos followed. I didn't turn to check if my trio was following as well. For once, my thoughts were neither on anything related to my bedroom nor bothering with either of my cousins - all I could really think of was that magic which made me see what wasn't there, affecting me like I was nothing different from a regular human.
I wanted to know how it was done.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:07 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Samia Nazirah|Dark Spymaster|Day One

I giggled a little as we followed Rhames out of his room. Like a trio of ducklings. The thought of what Rhames would say to being called a mother duck almost brought on a full-on laugh. But still, it is proper for a Yulaki to giggle and blush, which would draw far less attention than my remaining mute and grim. But a full laugh would again draw attention, considering we were not speaking. Sita, Ardryll, and Rhames were the only ones aware of the game I played. All others simply thought me a Yulaki dullard who the king inexplicably liked somewhat more than the other Yulaki gracing his court. And I worked hard to keep up that impression.

So I smile and have almost a skip in my steps, even as my eyes flit around the hall, looking for anything out of place. Rhames has built up quite the reputation among the cleaning staff-they never put something back in the wrong place. They know he'll notice. So when I saw the painting set askew, I stared at it for a long moment, my mind running through all the possible reasons it could be like that. New maid? Unlikely. Most people who worked at the palace stayed on for life, and no one had died recently.

Rhames stopped walking, and the rest of us stopped with him. I glanced at him questioningly and asked, "Sir?", although I knew he most likely had noted the painting too.

He gestured to one of the guards Sita has follow him-Jamal, I believe- and has him fix the painting. Nothing happens when the guard moves it, so perhaps it was nothing. Still, I am twice as wary, especially when Rhames changes his mind and decides to go to the throne room.

The wariness makes sense once we arrive. I...I could swear there was no bottom to the room. An endless chasm.

My mind flashes back to my childhood in the mountains, playing fighting games with my friends. I didn't really like that kind of game, but my friends had convinced me. We'd been playing a little too close to a cliff and I slipped. I was extremely lucky, everyone told me after. I could have died or been permanently paralyzed, but I wasn't even scared. That was when I decided the gods themselves were telling me I should become a Yulaki.

It didn't make sense, though. If there was an earthquake or something, we should have felt it. Rhames stumbles back a step from the edge, and he and Ardryll have a hurried conversation. That's when I realize they're seeing something different than I am. It must be an illusion.

I took a step forward, tentatively, into empty space as Rhames said something along the lines of him not being into switching roles. And the illusion dissipated, just like that.

Rhames was kneeling before another man. Sita and Ardryll were drawing weapons. I was shaking a little from fright, and under the pretext of fixing my hair, I checked my hairpins to make sure they were in place and still poisoned-I had built an immunity to it-so if the man who'd created the illusions proved to be a threat, I could act. Not that he couldn't easily use those illusions as a threat.

There didn't prove to be a need, though. They wanted to play chess together, of all things. I'd never understood Rhames's interest in that game, which he liked to joke about, saying I was basically playing a chess game with my spying.

I was still pulling myself together and had missed the nuances of much of their conversation, which worried me. Lure us into a situation where someone can exploit my fear of heights, and I can't help Rhames anything. I really need to work on that, although I'm not sure what I could do...

I grimace and follow Rhames. Much less like a duckling now-more like a grim bodyguard who has realized they can't protect their charge.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

Upoptos Thespeios | A crucial game | Day One

The gardens were pleasant. They called this the Kingdom of Dark, but evidently, they had not seen the King's gardens. The hedges converged to a marble fountain, where we were sitting. The floor was set with stones, arranged in spiral patterns. It was silent, save for the gurgling of water, and the sound of plants growing. They didn't have similar gardens back home. I was used to the thrill of danger, the hunger of beasts. Pumping blood and savage triumph.

And yet, the air hummed with a similar tension. The King, staring into nothingness, seemed relaxed, but the three around him were not. Their movements spoke of guarded fear. I had seen such looks before, stalking prey. I smiled. This was good. Uncertainty is easily malleable.

"In my country, we worshiped the goddess Parthash, bringer of triumph in war," I spoke, turning to one. "You have the same fiery hair and countenance. Were our gods not slain, I'd think she walked our earth still, looking at you. What is your name?"

"Sita," she said, blushing slightly.

"There are better questions," another one said, brightly. She was slight, and her face was warm, and yet I knew she was the one I would have to guard myself from the most. Her eyes spoke of winter nights, as deadly as they were beautiful. I had seen similar eyes in the wives of politicians. They lulled you into feeling secure, tripped you up, then spilled your secrets, and your guts. I grinned. "Why are you here, and what do you want?"

"Why, I have heard our King is an amateur chess player, and I thought to myself, what better opponent than he?"

As if on cue, several men arrived. One carried a table, the other chairs. They placed them down, and the King and I sat. He looked at me, bemused. Another guard arrived, carrying a chess board and a box on the table between us. He set them down as if they were scalding, and stepped back gingerly. The guard glanced sideways at me. I smiled. He turned and walked away, muttering something.

"These are marvelously crafted pieces, my Lord," I said, opening the box. The whites were in marble, inlaid with another metal I couldn't name, maybe silver. The blacks were also in marble, black. The pieces were shaped like actual soldiers.

"I use it for special occasions," the King replied. "I felt this was fitting."

"I am honored." I set the board up quickly, trying not to have a piece slip from my hands and break. I willed my fingers to stop trembling. You have been patient so far. One more game is all you need.

"Oh please."

I looked up. The one named Sita had spoken.

"You can't hope that we'd believe you came here for a game of chess," she said, forcefully. "You were talking about machines. What's that all about?"

"You are most perspicacious," I said. "Unlike Parthash, it seems you also have the gift of listening."

The woman blushed again.

"You are correct, the fact the King enjoys chess is not the only thing I have heard." I advaced a pawn. "I have also heard he, and emissaries from Atra, will be visiting Genor shortly. I have heard marriages are being discussed."

There was a sharp intake of breath.

"You have good ears," the King said, making his own move. "And what does the machine think of such an event?"

I burst into applause. The sudden loud noise startled the people assembled. The hand of one went to their blade. Keep them wondering. Keep them uncertain. They will be more easily decieved.

"That is a good question, my Lord," I said. "The machine is turning faster and faster as the day approaches. You see, that day is going to be a turning point... where a new balance of the machine is decided."

"You're vague, like an oracle in children stories. Try and make sense."

A new voice. It was an auburn elf, standing in the king's shadow. Disbelief was painted across his face.

"Power! I speak of power," I said. "The machine is the collective, every individual working together, bound by common traits. It is a cruel system, where those at the top command those below, not realizing they themselves are the slaves of ambition."

"Those at the top, you say." The King spoke. "And yet, those at the top are also the ones most capable of managing the masses."

A few more moves were exchanged. A gambit was met by an equally sharp countergambit. Pieces were exchanged. I regretted my outburst. The man, despicable as he was, was also right. I was being vague. He did not realize -- or perhaps he did -- that it served a purpose. There was nothing for it now. Perhaps it was for the best. If the King knew of my motives, the grand design could be achieved with less delay. My heart beat faster at the thought. After all these years, could I be so close to grinding the overbearing cogs to a halt?

"The society I dream of, my Lord, is one where every individual is granted the possibility of meeting their potential. In doing so, the state also becomes strong. Things as they are cannot do. After the death of the old king, and his empire split, society began to stagnate. Too much value has been placed on birthright. A farmer's son will be a farmer, even if he dreams of trading spices. A warrior's son will be a warrior, though he craves to hold a brush or chisel. Do you follow me?"

More pieces were traded off. I was enjoying this game. The King played in an aggressive and unusual manner, unlike the positional play I had grown used to at the clubhouse. There was silence, as he considered the state of the board. After several minutes, he spoke again.

"Why come to me, now?"

"With your strength and my ideals, we will surely be able to change the turning of the machine."

The atmosphere seemed to, if not relax, lighten. These were terms everyone assembled was familiar with.

"The question is, what can you offer?"

I smiled. Once again, that feeling of victory. "Counsel, games of chess, talks of philosophy, all which I know you enjoy, and, my Lord," I paused. "My magic."

Checkmate.

I stood. "A good game, my Lord. I would not like to take up more of your time, however. If it pleases you, I would return tomorrow at mid-day. I would show you some of my magic."

"Please, allow me to show you the way out," the short one almost interrupted me. The words flew out of her mouth the second my breath finished. I nodded. She did not want me wandering the castle. This was prudent.

"By all means."
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

seeing this tag and going "oh what's this? :)" then getting slapped in the face with shady's good grammar is the worst thing that's ever happened to me
— SilverNight