z

Young Writers Society

Flames of Darkness [Started| Still Accepting]

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun May 18, 2014 11:45 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

A mighty warrior assembled a massive, skilled army. He led his army across the countryside, devouring small villages, crushing rebellions, conquering his enemies- until none remained but he and his followers. He declared himself King and few were living to dispute his claim. As king he refused to be faithful to any one woman, and soon found himself with many infant sons.

Advised to name an heir, but uncertain which of his sons would be most suited to the crown, he split his kingdom into eight parts, and named each son heir to a throne-- with intentions to amend his decision once his boys’ personalities were fully formed, and therefore restore his kingdom to a single fortress. He died before that day came, and his kingdom was divided.

Four short decades later only three kingdoms remained- the others conquered, crushed, forgotten: Neko, Atra, and Genor. Genor had withdrawn all contacts from the neighboring nations, and shut itself deep within the protection of its mountainous ranges. Neko and Atra, both aggressive nations, reached an agreement-- the Prince of Neko and the Princess of Atra would wed, and that the nations would be allied.

The Princess of Atra had no desire to marry her cousin, nor did the Prince of Neko desire to marry her-- and fresh, civil battles were fought between the nations. Messengers carried forged letters. Spies reported false information. Atra and Neko’s leaders were killed in the battles. The newly appointed rulers, their pride injured by the other’s refusal of marriage, declared war on each other's kingdoms.

Emotions are strained. Tempers are hot. Allegiances must be pledged.

Who will you side with? The Queen of Fire? The King of Shadows? The Lord of the Mountains? When nothing is certain but fear and death, and no one is what they seem...

Atra- Kingdom of Fire

Spoiler! :
Roles in society:

Women-
Women are to birth and raise warriors. A prized woman will be silent and observant, respected by her children (though not often her husband), and possess ample strength to run her household and give her sons basic training. Women are to be seen and not heard. If a woman ventures to speak out against a man-- or against a man’s abilities-- she better be able to defend herself and be prepared for a Test, because other men won’t come to her rescue.

A woman who can defeat a man in battle, or simply requests one, will be given a Test, and, if she passes, she will be placed in the Fire Queen’s ranks- to be treated, in all respects, as a man of equal rank. A woman, once she has proven herself, is given an equal opportunity for advancement, though is not given a handicap because she’s a woman- if she can’t earn something, she can’t have it.

Girls-
Girls are given only the most basic training in arms, typically in whatever Craft their mother learned—they only learn enough to be able to train the sons that they are expected to bear one day. The age of their training varies, depending on the capabilities of the girl, but is typically completed by the time they’re nine. Girls learn their basic figures, reading, and writing- and then begin mastering the things women commonly do, cooking, cleaning, caring for children, etc.

Men-
Men are prideful and possessive, often brawling if they feel they've been done wrong, or that their woman has been slighted (outside the mild condescension to be expected). From an early age (commonly four winters) they cease to be babied by their mothers, who eventually become their first tutors. From age 4 to 7 they are Stage One, from 8 to 10 is Stage Two, when they are 11 and 12 they are Starters, and ages 13 and 14 are Apprentices.

Stage One-
The boy will begin to learn independence. He will master dressing and bathing himself, as well as begin to keep his Father’s or older brother(s)’ weapons cleaned. He will begin to learn a Craft-- typically the one his mother learned. He will learn to read, write, and perform basic math computations. He will begin to learn horsemanship.

Stage Two-
He will know how to fully groom himself, and how to maintain weapons. He will be proficient in the Craft his mother decided to teach him, and will begin learning the other Crafts-- usually from an older brother or older friend, but sometimes his mother. His reading will be fluent, his writing legible, and an older man will teach him more advanced mathematics.

His father will observe him as he trains, and will discourage any weakness he displays. His father continue to teach him horsemanship.

Starter-
His education will be fully taken over by his Father, who will now be familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of his son. His time with his mother will be significantly restricted, and all sympathies lost. He will practice his Craft-- his shortcomings punished more severely-- and practice the Crafts that he’s unskilled in, though the majority of his time will be spent honing his skills in his Craft, and the Craft of his father (if they are different).

Apprentice-
The boy will take up residence with a Master of the Craft he wishes to pursue. His Master will hone his skills in the Craft, and teach him things beyond the common knowledge (see the list of Crafts). In return, the boy will care for h is Master’s arms, cook meals, keep his Master’s house and stable, and accompany his Master wherever he goes.

Test-
When a boy is 15 years old, or whenever his Master deems him ready, he will be tested in the Craft of his choice. The Test is intense-- taxing mentally, as well as physically-- and different, depending on the Craft. All Crafts require the Apprentice to survive for a fortnight in the wilderness, with nothing but their weapon, a knife, a flint, and some steel.

Neko- Kingdom of Shadows

Spoiler! :
Roles in society:

Women-

Women have two options- become a Yulaki or a Citizen. Yulaki are women the mild type, treated gently- in word and deed- behaving as perfect ladies. They are ever available to keep a man company, and only speak when they’re spoken to- excluding talking to other Yulaki. Often if a man finds a Yulaki who he is particularly fond of, he will take her into his dwelling, providing her with food and shelter, in return for her services.

Women who decide to become Citizens are decidedly more opinionated and express their opinions more freely. Women who pass the Citizenship Test are treated as a man, being allowed to freely converse with them, and, if she feels she’s been slighted, she can brawl with men without bringing any disgrace on her or her household.

Men-
Men are raised to be warriors. Every man is a Citizen, and therefore a soldier in the King’s army, which is his first profession. Men often prefer swords to any other weapon, leaving archery for women- not out of disrespect, but because women tend to have better aim, and seem to prefer long-distance fighting over hand-to-hand combat, though all weapons are welded by both genders.
Men tend to be arrogant and prideful, but usually keep their opinions private, unless they have a score they wish to settle. Few men speak empty threats- and fewer still live long enough to speak them twice. Any insult is taken on a highly personal level, and typically settled before the night is through.

Children-
Children are raised from birth to be warriors. From the time they can walk, boys begin to spar with their fathers, who aren’t gentle in their lessons- backhanding, punching, and slapping boys, sometimes no taller than your belt, when they err in their form. Girls receive somewhat gentler lessons until they’re five years old, when they choose whether they’re going to become a Citizen or a Yulaki.

A girl can change her decision to be a Citizen until she takes her Citizenship Test, a Yulaki may apply for Citizenship at any time, though it’s far harder for a girl who didn’t receive the training as a child. Children training to become Citizens receive a crude education, reading, writing, their primary figures- and intense training with swords. Every Citizen must be somewhat capable with a spear and a bow, but only those who choose those as a primary weapon receive extensive training.

Yulaki, having more time for leisure, learn to read more fluently, and more advanced mathematics. Yulaki study poems and practice their elocution, learn to sew and embroider, and learn to play an instrument- usually a harp, lyre, or piano. Yulaki that are talented masseuses tend to be the most popular, as do Yulaki who are skilled in the kitchen.

Citizenship Test-
Every winter, a faction of young Nekoites, typically in their twelfth year, apply for Citizenship through an Audition, in which they must prove themselves stronger than their peers. They are taken to the bottom of a steep mountain, and put in one end of an arena- in the other end, there are several Nekoite Citizens.

The Citizens are armed with clubs, as are the initiates. The initiates must fight their way out of the arena, and up the mountain- battling against each other, for the honor and ranks that come with being in the first ten to arrive back at the town, and against the conditions.

Genor- Kingdom in the Mountains

Spoiler! :
Little is known about the people of Genor. They typically keep to themselves- allowing few people to enter their country, and fewer still to leave it. They’re considered Rebels, resentful of both the ruler of Neko and the ruler of Atra, but neutral in the war- rumored to be waiting for the two to exhaust their resources, and thus be easier to defeat once one or the other throne falls.

Crafts

Spoiler! :
Archery-
Soldiers who choose a different Craft receive minimal training, making them accurate at only a very short distance. Soldiers and Citizens who chose this as their Craft, however, receive detailed instruction. They will learn to shoot different types of bows, different types of arrows, learn how to make their own weapons, learn to make arrows and re-fletch them, and learn tricks to make them lethal at a further distance-- such as a countering cross-winds and tweaking arrows.

Magic-
Magic comes in many different forms. Wizards have the furthest range- at least they rumor themselves to. They have tendencies of making interesting things happen when they come around, and are generally a better thing to have as an ally than an enemy. Enchanters can charm nearly anyone into spilling their secrets or helping them out of a pinch.

Magicians come in many different facets- from magicians who can control the Elements: Earth, Water, Wind, Fire; to magicians who can only control smaller things, such as items or situations around them.

Swordsmanship
The Craft favored by Nekoite Citizens, and an art practiced by all, swordsmanship requires a good deal of strength and discipline, speed, and finesse. You have to be observant, as to see the weaknesses in your opponent's guard, and quick enough to use the opening.

Staffsman
Few people use staffs, finding them harder to wield and even harder to maim someone. It takes a great deal of strength and endurance for this Craft.

Spearman
A more popular choice than a staff, few people use spears either. They're mostly useless in hand-to-hand combat, and, being projectile, are usually only good for one enemy at a time.

Hand-To-Hand
A somewhat popular choice, people who pursue their crafts in Hand-To-Hand combat will be trained extensively with their hands, and a few other select weapons, depending on the Master that teaches them. Someone who chooses this as his Craft will learn the pressure points and lethal areas of a human body, and no longer be under the socially accepted rule that a Challenge must be answered. Few people are willing to fight with someone of this Craft, and for good reason.

Other
If your character wants a different Craft, let me know, and I'll consider adding it.

Character Profile:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] (First and last names required)
[b]Nickname:[/b] (A personal title, if you have one, or what people call you)
[b]Age:[/b] (Age range is from 15-45 *Kings should be in their late teens or twenties*)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b] (wizard, enchanter, warrior, ranger, rogue, peasant)
[b]Race:[/b] (human, dwarf, elf, shape-shifter *specify which shapes you can take*, other commonly known creature)
[b]Rank:[/b] (Apprentice, Graduate, Citizen, Lieutenant, Captain, other- see below)
[b]Skills:[/b] (choose three: speed, strength, endurance, intelligence, dexterity, magic, accuracy, camouflage, stealth)
[b]Weakness:[/b] (choose one: speed, strength, endurance, intelligence, dexterity, magic, accuracy, camouflage, stealth)
[b]Allegiance/Nationality:[/b] (choose one: Nekoites, Atraians, Genorians)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Pics are optional. Try to avoid Anime)
[b]Personality:[/b] (Minimum 50 words. Be descriptive.)
[b]History:[/b] (Be descriptive. At least two paragraphs in length, and none of this "don't remember" nonsense. Even if they don't, explain why. Besides, each character has a story.)
[b]Up for love:[/b] (Yes, no, and what orientation.)
[b]Other:[/b] (Anything forgotten.)

Character Slots:

Spoiler! :
Queen of Fire- @ShadowVyper, Anaki Shadowflame
Fire Advisor- @Aquestioning, Lucretia Borgelia
Fire War Chief- @megsug, Eira Mawon
Fire Master of Spies-
Fire soldiers-
-
-
Apprentice-

Graduate- @ShadowVyper, Mikhail Carter

King of Darkness- @AriaAdams, Rhames Allaniel Esteri
Dark Advisor- @queerelves, Ardryll Tamsin
Dark War Chief- @AlmondEyes, Sita Hallows
Dark Master of Spies- @kayfortnight, Samia Nazirah
Dark soldiers/Citizens-
-
-
-
-

King of Genor- @megsug, Balik Kache
Rebel Advisor- @Alvarin, Havelock Shepherd
Rebel Master of Spies-
Genorian Gryphon- @Griffinkeeper, Seeker Ten'seer
Older Genorian Princess- @Craz, Diagoras Kache
Younger Genorian Princess- NPC, Miranda Kache
Genorian Apprentice- @Auxiira, Thyramalaju Minttu
Rebels-
-
-
-
-

Feel free to take multiple characters, but please be sure you have time to keep up with all you take-- and please make sure you're able to commit if you take one of the really important characters (ruler, advisor, war chief, etc.)
Last edited by Shady on Fri May 30, 2014 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed May 28, 2014 3:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Anaki Shadowflame
Queen of Atra | Day One

I tugged on the stifling dress I was wearing and sighed. I hated formal wear with a passion- yet here I was, yet again, wearing it. I hurried to my chambers and changed out of it as quickly as I could, sighing as I pulled on a soft cotton tunic and trousers. I started down the stairs, pulling my hair back into a ponytail as I did, heading toward the door.

I stepped into the hot afternoon and walked into the busy street. Only a few villagers stopped and bowed to me, a few more nodding their acknowledgement of me as they went past. I shrugged at their indifference, frankly somewhat glad that no one made a big deal of my being queen. That would have just made things awkward, and I didn't like awkward.

I slipped through the crowd fairly quickly, my guard having to hurry to keep up.

“Your Highness.” A cold, commanding voice addressed me as a large man stepped squarely in front of me. He always made things awkward. I sighed as I looked up at his face.

“Cordel."

Cordel Silva was dancing on the fine line that separated him from the prison for several months now. He kept doing everything possible to turn the general opinion against me-- everything except for actually stepping across the line that protected him under my free-speech policy into blatant treason.

I crossed my arms as I looked at him. I knew what he wanted. I'd heard reports of what he'd been spreading around the bars. It was only a matter of time before I knew he'd nerve up and actually say his threats to my face, and I wasn't at all happy about it. A Challenge couldn't go unanswered, and I was by no means his equal-- not in size or strength. The only thing I had going for me was speed and intelligence.

“It’s a nice day, today.”

“It is.”

“…for a fight,” he added.

I glared at him sharply. So he wasn't even going to go for insults or complaints. He was just going to demand a fight. I nearly sighed. Idiot. I should have Challenged him myself. He took a step nearer to me so he could loom.

He stood head and shoulders over me, his arms nearly as big as my legs. Regardless of my cocky thoughts, deep down I knew I didn't stand a chance against him. He'd crush me in an instant. He raised an eyebrow and smirked, though I knew I had remained passive.

“What? Are you going to let my Challenge go unanswered?”

And let the throne pass to you by default? “You wish.”

“Very well then, two o’clock this afternoon?”

“Mr. Silva, you know very well that one of the privileges of the Crown is to be allowed to set the terms of a Match.” And you're not about to take that from me.

"Fine. Set your demands."

My demands? Boy, you're the one who wants to fight me. "In an hour, we'll fight in the arenas near the docks."

"No, wait," another man stepped forward, reeking of alcohol. "I wanna fight you 'fore Cord stomps you into...to... the ground."

"Why don't you fight 'Cord', then, and whoever wins that fight will get to fight me?"

"No. That's not the deal--" Cordell started.

I looked around quickly, desperate to find a way to escape before any one else felt the need to challenge me. The coins I had in my pocket smacked against my leg. I grinned as I pulled them from my pocket. Each was worth about what most of these people would make in a week of hard labor.

"Hey!" I shouted, looking around, trying to gather people's attention. I held up the fistful of coins. "It's free if you can get it!"

Instantly the crowd shifted toward me. I'd given out coins before, on days that I felt particularly charitable. Or just wanted to see the fight they always caused. I looked at Cordell, who was arguing with the drunkard. I quickly caught his hand, thrust the coins into it, and started backward, shouting "Free game!"

I backed out of the mob as quickly as I could, smirking as I saw the fight that was developing. There would be a lot of bloody lips and black eyes by the time that wealth was distributed. I glanced at my guards, who were smirking and shaking their heads. The seemed to enjoy the game as much as I did. I grinned. "Let's go back to the palace."

~ ~ ~

I passively walked toward the docks, clenching and unclenching my fists, doing my best to stay calm while still getting warmed up and ready for the fight. I took a deep breath, my stomach feeling a bit queasy, and looked at Eira, my War Chief, who was walking beside me.

Eira called me many names for setting the Match so soon-- one of the kinder ones being a foolish twit. She looked angry, glaring at everyone and everything as we walked. Lucretia was on my other side, looking just as angry as she stalked along beside me. Honestly, the two of them, both angry at me, scared me far worse than Cordel ever would.

I looked ahead as we walked around the final bend and sighed as I saw the large crowd of people that was gathered. So much for a quick fight with no witnesses.[/'i] I sighed again, rubbing my face as I lifted my chin a bit, bravely striding toward the mass of people, careful to keep my face neutral even though my heart was racing. All I could do was maintain my dignity, and hope that he’d gotten pounded enough that I’d be able to win.

I leisurely strode toward the arena, fixing a glare on Cordel that I didn't remove my entire walk down the narrow path that cleared for me. I took my good, sweet time walking, making it obvious that I was in control of the situation-- not him.

Much too soon I was in the ring, staring at the bare, sweaty chest. I slowly raised my gaze to his face.

"That was dirty." He glared, rubbing a large scratch that was now running the length of his shoulder.

I smirked, noting the various bruises and scratches that littered his chest and arms. "Did you get to keep any of the coins?"

He glared harder. "If I were you, I'd be worrying about my own problems."

"You're my only problem right now." [i]It's after the fight that I have a real mess to deal with. Oy vey. Maybe if you hit me enough, they'll take sympathy and not kill me once I get back to the palace?

"That's right." He grinned cruelly.

"So I'm not too worried." I finished, smirking as his glare quickly came back.

"You'll worry once you're trying to find mercy in Neko."

He was right. If he won, and I got exiled, I was in world of trouble. Even more trouble than if I won. My cousin, Rhames, certainly wouldn't take mercy, nor did I want to beg it from him-- and I knew nothing of Balik, my cousin from the mountains. I had yet to hear a response to any of the letters I sent to him. For all I knew, he hated me too. I certainly couldn't count on the sympathies of a man I never met. "Are you going to fight, or do you plan on just standing here talking all day?"

He readied himself. "I'll give you the first swing."

“That’s very kind of you, but ladies first,” I bowed to him mockingly, barely avoiding his fist as it skimmed past my nose.

I stepped back quickly and caught his arm as he took another swing at me. I swung my left fist at him, making him turn to the side defensively. Without a moment's hesitation I took advantage of his weakened defenses and drove an elbow into his exposed ribs, ducking under his decending arm to whirl around and land a solid kick on his lower back.

He stumbled forward, taking longer to find his balance than it should’ve. When he whirled around, his face was flushed-- he was angry, and tired. Cordel worked mornings in a mill, I knew. He always went to the tavern for his lunch and midday revival-- and it was just after that when he found the courage to Challenge me, aided by quite a bit of ale, if my guess was correct.

I hopped lightly on my feet, waiting for his next attack. I ducked under several swings, and caught his leg when he tried to kick me. I slid my shoulder under his calf and lifted as hard as I could, trying to deposit him on his back.

He chuckled coldly and hooked his leg around my neck, suddenly throwing me to the ground, cushioning his fall with my body. I groaned loudly as he fell squarely onto my back, making my ribs smart. A moment later he was up and had a handful of my hair, yanking me to my feet. His fist landed heavily on my left cheek, and I staggered across the arena, dizzy.

I shook my head, trying to clear it, and quickly retreated from him. The world was spinning, my head was throbbing. In a final act of desperation, unable to outrun him, and finding it hard to bear the booing of the crowd, I threw my shoulders into him, my fists striking the spot just under his ribcage, stealing his breath, while I brought my knee up into every man's weak place.

He made an odd noise and crumpled to the ground, but he was desperate too. I spotted the blade he'd seemingly pulled out of thin air half a moment too late. I leaned back, but his dagger caught my left arm, ripping the flesh of my forearm open. I cursed and swung my leg at his head, kicking him as hard as I could. He fell face down in the dirt, groaning but not moving. I stomped on his wrist and ground my heel for a long moment, grabbing my wound with my right hand, letting my blood drip onto his tunic and not caring.

I stood over him, panting, and looked around at the now silent crowd. A murmur rose, slowly at first, quickly growing to a loud noise that hurt my throbbing head-- everyone realizing that I just knocked out Cordel. Cordel, terror of the bars, menace to society, toughest of us all.

I stepped out of the ring, and the people around me instantly stepped back, clearing me a now respectfully sized path. Eira and Lucretia were both starting forward, toward me, Eira producing a rag that she was moving toward my arm. I shook my head slightly, taking the rag from Eira without a word, quickly starting back toward my palace. I needed to get out of the public eye. Needed to get ice on my swelling cheek and a bandage on my bleeing arm.

“Hey Naki!” A mocking voice was right behind me. Suddenly my pride was more important than my injuries. Curses on the tip of my tongue, I whirled around-- right into a fist that knocked me flat on my back, which was more than even Cordel's blow had done. I blinked stupidly, my head ringing, vision spotty.

By the time I hauled myself to my feet, swatting Lucretia away, Eira already had a blade pressed against the man's throat. He was on his knees, his eyes glinting with a look that wasn't all that foreign to me. Eira's eyes were glinting too, as she looked at me for orders. Shall I slit his throat now, or do you want a formal execution? She seemed to be asking silently.

I put my hand to my mouth, grunting in disgust as it came away red. I spat on the ground and glared at the man, who seemed somewhat proud of his work. I narrowed my eyes. Few people were brave enough to Challenge the crown, knowing what was my right if I won-- fewer still were fool enough to attack me... especially when my War Chief and hot-tempered Advisor, not to mention guards, were with me.

"Who are you?" I demanded coldly.

"Mick." He nodded as best he could without slitting his own throat. "Pleasure to meet you, ma'am."

I frowned a bit, trying to think of what to do with this... this... cocksure little boy. It was hard to think with my head throbbing and blood dripping from my arm. I looked up at Eira, not really caring if she dealt with him or ordered a guard to take him. "Get.... Mick... to the dungeons. I'll deal with him later."

I turned toward the palace once more, a bit too quick, dizzy from the gods only knew what part of my day. I stumbled forward, falling onto my hands and knees on the stone steps in front of me. I felt arms around me, strong and protective, pulling me back to my feet. I shook my head slightly, trying to clear it as I stumbled to my feet.

"I could heal you right now," Lucretia muttered under her breath, low enough no one but I could hear her.

"Not in front of everyone," I answered through clenched teeth, angry at myself more than anyone else, embarrassed at having fallen in front of the crowd. I had an excuse when I had Cordel's legs around my neck, and when Mick decked me-- I didn't have a good excuse now. I felt Lucretia's arm tighten around my side, and glanced down at her stiff jaw. I was in for quite a lecture once we got inside, I was sure. I wonder if they'll team up on me, or give me their rants separately... I sighed and started up the stairs once more, slowly this time.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri May 30, 2014 2:07 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Seeker crept along the ground, making no noise at all. Slightly behind him and slightly more noisy, was the younger princess, Miranda. Miranda was currently mimicking the gryphon, crawling on her hands and knees. Grass stains and mud were already present on her play clothes.

Seeker led her behind a shrub, then poked his head up quickly, then down again. Princess Miranda followed suit and they spotted their prey. It was a small table with chairs nearby. Occupying the chairs was a number of stuffed animals, including bunnies, bears, and even a dragon. In the center of the table, was a platter of (tested) cookies.

Miranda ducked down and climbed onto Seeker's back. Once Seeker was sure that she had her grip, he pounced and Miranda squealed with joy. A second later it was over and the Princess was munching on cookies and bubbling with excitement.

"Let's go flying again!" Miranda said.

"It's not flying little one, that was just a pounce. The King won't let us go flying together until you're older."

"But I'm almost eight!" she complained. Seeker looked at her and blinked. An equation had just flown by her hair, it carried information about the airspeed.

"Perhaps if you talk with the King about it, he'll give me permission," Seeker said smoothly, picking up a cookie. Princess Miranda looked thoughtful.

"Nah, he's too busy. I'll ask Dee instead!" she said. A pile of equations fell off her and splashed onto the ground as she jumped up and ran into the palace to find her sister. He didn't pursue because he knew what would happen next.

Before his eyes, the image began to change from visible images into a stream of equations; describing everything. He looked away from the palace and down into the valley, but the effect was worse. He forced himself to keep looking, despite the rapidly building headache.

The information was streaming everywhere, raw data about every possible figure. He felt the data beginning to overwhelm himself and forced himself to calm down and to focus. He removed information about the weather, about shapes, colors, and their speed. Layer after layer of information was being filtered away until he caught a glimpse of the equations that governed the futures that could be.

And as he peered deeper into the equations, he starting to eat the cookie and wondered.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Havelock Shepherd (Hunter) | Genor, Castle | Day One
With a deep sigh I finally let myself fall back against the bed, not bothering to even take my shoes off. I had done it all. Everything on my to do list, completed. Now I could just close my eyes and get four hours of glorious sleep before I had to get up and welcome my new apprentice to the castle. My mother had assured me that the girl already knew quite a bit about weather and nature magic, so hopefully I could let her take over some of my duties at once. And then maybe, just maybe, I could get four hours of sleep every night.. Maybe even five.

I liked feeling useful, no doubt about it, but as I had taken on more responsibility and the people of Genor had come to depend on me, I had slowly stared to realize that it was too much work for one person. The mountains that constituted Genore were barren, to say the least, and it wasn't easy for people to grow crops or keep livestock. The harvest often failed, and people starved during the long harsh winters. It wasn't a prosperous kingdom.. Or at least it hadn't been in the past. It was better now, since I was trying to help as much as I could, but I doubted it'd ever be enough. Maybe if there was a large group of magicians helping, but I couldn't do enough on my own. I could control the weather and enrich the earth to make the crops and the hay grow better, and I could to some degree help any sick animals, but even though I gave it my all every day it seemed like the requests for help only piled up.

A knock on the door startled me as I was about to drift off to sleep. "Aw, come on," I muttered under my breath, for a moment considering to just stay put and let whoever it was come back later, but I knew it could be the king. I walked over to the door, not really bothering to lift my feet, nor opening my eyes, clearing my throat and forcing my eyes open as I turned the lock on the door and opened it. It was indeed the king. "Your highness," I said with a slight bow. I knew I didn't need to act as formal as I did, but I preferred it. Being part dog, and all that. "What can I do for you this fine.." I glanced out though the window over my desk, fighting the urge to sigh as I saw the rising sun. "..morning?"

He waved a piece of paper as he walked in, spending no time on pleasantries. "I got another letter from Anaki this morning. Apparently not responding means nothing to her."

I rubbed my forehead. "Oh." I moved so that he could step inside, since this probably wasn't something that everyone should hear about. "What is it this time? She has to realize that an alliance with Atra would make us enemies with Neko..?" For the millionth time I wished that the king's cousins could just settle things and calm down. I didn't want Genor to be pulled into anything. We have our own problems to deal with.

He sat down and held the letter out, offering it. "Surely she does. She's not stupid. This time she suggested something along the lines of all the monarchs coming here..." He chewed on his lip. "I wish one of them would just kill the other, so we can make an alliance. Having friends makes things easier." I couldn't quite tell if he was serious or not, and I didn't even know if I minded it either way.

"It does, yes.. Though no friends are better than bad friends." The monarchs of Atra and Neko coming here? It sounded like an awful idea. It was like inviting a war over our border. One of them was bound to try to kill the other, and when that happened their armies would soon be here, regardless of how many protective spells I put up. "Are you planning on inviting them?" Even though it was a horrible idea I couldn't help but hope that they could somehow make up with one another. And if they manage to keep peace, we could make deals with both of them. "There's no way to guarantee that it will turn out well."

He sighed heavily. "I know that, and I'd really like to not get them up here where they can see how everything is and how bad off we are. At the same time... You're exhausting yourself trying to keep harvests at survivable levels, and nothing has happened yet, but surely the people are starting to feel that anyone else could provide better, and we can't hide forever." He crossed his arms. "I want to hide."

I chuckled. "And I want to sleep, but it seems we can't do that right now." Showing our weaknesses wasn't really desirable, but who said we had to? It wasn't like they were going to explore the whole country, so if the apprentice and I could focus on the area closest to the castle we could make the whole country appear differently from how it really was. "What if we invite them and put on a show? They'll think we're strong and prosperous, we might be able to make a few deals with them to enable trade between the kingdoms, and they finally decide if they want to get along or kill each other?" That means less sleep for me, but it'd only be temporary.

He thought about this. "I suppose we could send resources out to the areas being neglected for the time. It wouldn't be that long. Then we could have a trading relationship with both even if they both decide to kill each other..." He nodded slowly.

"Yes, I think it's the best thing we can do right now." I glanced out the window. Three and a half hours was good as well. Though I don't really have time for it anymore. "Should I start right away? My apprentice and I could work on the nearby farms and nature, while you take care of the army? We'll need some kind of parade or something, to show it off. I think we have left over armour in the armoury, so technically we should be able to put it on some actors." Because Genor has such a vast amount of actors. It felt like any advice I could give him wasn't good enough. The whole thing was a risk.. A big one.

He looked skeptical. "Damned if we do and damned if we don't, I guess." He rubbed his face tiredly. "I say we do it. Dress people up to look like we have muscle, act like we're doing this out of the kindness of our hearts... not desperation." He grimaced. "I guess I'll send my reply, and we can start preparing."

"Look happy, it's the first military parade since.. Ever. If that doesn't get you into the Genorian history books, then I don't know what will." I tried to smile encouragingly, but I probably didn't manage to look more than slightly less tired. "I think.." I hesitated for a moment, not really wanting to admit to him how tired I was, even though it was fairly obvious from my face. "I think I'll need to sleep for a bit before I get started."

He was quiet, unfolding and refolding the letter, his eyes never leaving it. "Please do, Hunter." He looked up with a halfhearted smirk. "I think I would make a mess of things if they got here, and you were out because I had worked you too hard." He stood up. "I'll leave you to sleeping then."

I nodded gratefully. "Thank you, your highness."

I was just about to fall asleep when it knocked on the door, again. "Sir, your new apprentice is here." She was earlier than I had expected. I groaned as I got up, again, and opened the door, gesturing for the girl to enter.

"Welcome," I said with slight smile. I had a vague memory of her from six years ago, and she hadn't changed that much, at least not enough for me to not recognize her. I liked the curious glow in her eyes, even though she surely must've traveled quite far. As I realized she was looking around I awkwardly moved one of the potted plants from a chair. "You're probably tired, so take a seat."

She sat down on the chair, taking in all of the plants in the room and smiling a little. "I'm not too tired, but thank you." Her gaze wandered around the room, never quite stopping in one place. It made me wish I had some time to actually clean the room, rather than just keeping the multitude of plants alive.

"I haven't seen you in a while.. You're taller." I chose to remain standing, as I was barely able to keep my eyes open as it was. "Anyway, I need some help." Better get to the point before I fall asleep. "I have more things to do than I have time, and since the king approved I wrote to my mother.. And here you are." I didn't quite remember what it was I was supposed to tell her, but improvising had never really been a problem. "So, I'll show you your room and let you get settled in, and then I'd like if you could show me what kind of magic you can do. You'll be helping me out while training.. I hope that won't be a problem?"

"Not at all." She smiled rather languidly, playing with a leather strap on her arm. "At least I'm doing something." Her gaze traveled to the window and stopped there, taking in the garden with a delighted light in her eyes. I kept most of my plants out there, since I ran out of space in my room. Exotic flowers with vibrant colours and large fruit trees, all plants that would not grow in this climate naturally.

I smiled. "That's one way to look at it." I followed her gaze, nodding towards the window. "You can go explore after I've showed you your room. I need to sleep anyway, so you might as well get acquainted with the castle." I took a few steps towards the door. "Come along, it's right down the hall." I lead the way to her room and unlocked the door, handing her the key. "You're free to keep anything you want in here, as long as it's not dangerous.. So no wild dogs or man eating plants.. I'm talking from experience."

Her mouth quirked up in a quick laugh. "What about a falcon?"

"As long as it doesn't attack anyone I don't think anyone would mind." I would comment that she'd need to keep the place clean, but my room was proof that it wasn't needed. "The servants will clean if you ask them to.. Though last time I asked for that, one of the rare herbs I keep fell to the floor." I had saved it, but I didn't really have time for such things, and since I didn't spend all that much time in my room in the first place it didn't really matter how it looked. "So, any questions before I go to bed?" Please, no questions.. Please.

"How much time do I get to spend outside?"

I couldn't help but look surprised. Was she expecting me to set some rule? "How much you want. I'll tell you when I need you, and what you need to do or work on, so you can do whatever you want with the rest of your time."

"Oh." She looked just as surprised as me before beaming. "Well, I don't have any questions then."

I nodded. Thank goodness. I can't keep my eyes open much longer. "Well, then.. I'm going to get some sleep." I smiled warmly at her. It was strangely nice to have a face from the past around. "Have fun exploring." I turned around to leave, but then turned back again and held out my hand as I realized I hadn't introduced myself. "I'm Havelock, but you can call me Hunter. No need for titles."

She stood up and grasped it firmly. "Thyramalaji, but please call me anything but that. Though my parents are wonderful, they have no taste in names. Thyra or Mala is fine." She let go, smiling. "I'll let you go. You look like you're going to drop." She opened the door next to her. "Sleep well." She disappeared into the room, the door shutting softly behind her.

I didn't wait another second before turning back to my room. Please, let me sleep now.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:12 pm
View Likes
megsug says...

Balik Kache|Genor Castle|Day 1

"Your highness." He bowed. "What can I do for you this fine...morning?"

I shook the letter at him, ignoring whatever was coming out of his mouth since it had nothing to do with what I cared about. "I got another letter from Anaki this morning. Apparently not responding means nothing to her."

"Oh. What is it this time? She has to realize that an alliance with Atra would make us enemies with Neko..?"

I sat down with a heavy sigh. "Surely she does. She's not stupid. This time she suggested something along the lines of all the monarchs coming here..." I bit my lip, wracking my brain for a way to get her to stop trying to contact me. Ignoring her sure wasn't doing it, and I couldn't upset her. Genor couldn't afford to get into any conflict. "I wish one of them would just kill the other, so we can make an alliance. Having friends makes things easier." I was only slightly horrified by what I had said, but it really would be damn convenient if one of them would die already.

"It does, yes.. Though no friends are better than bad friends."

I decided not to point out how well that philosophy was working with state affairs at the moment.

"Are you planning on inviting them? There's no way to guarantee that it will turn out well."

I sighed, sensing a headache forming behind my temples as I weighed out the pros and cons of the situation once again. "I know that, and I'd really like to not get them up here where they can see how everything is and how bad off we are. At the same time... You're exhausting yourself trying to keep harvests at survivable levels, and nothing has happened yet, but surely the people are starting to feel that anyone else could provide better, and we can't hide forever." I crossed my arms, feeling like a child as I admitted for lack of anything useful to say, "I want to hide."

He laughed which I suppose was allowable in the situation. "And I want to sleep, but it seems we can't do that right now." He thought in the silence. "What if we invite them and put on a show? They'll think we're strong and prosperous, we might be able to make a few deals with them to enable trade between the kingdoms, and they finally decide if they want to get along or kill each other?"

I considered this. "I suppose we could send resources out to the areas being neglected for the time. It wouldn't be that long. Then we could have a trading relationship with both even if they both decide to kill each other..." Suddenly this seemed a little less impossible. I nodded as I started to see what could be done.

"Yes, I think it's the best thing we can do right now. Should I start right away? My apprentice and I could work on the nearby farms and nature, while you take care of the army? We'll need some kind of parade or something to show it off. I think we have left over armour in the armoury, so technically we should be able to put it on some actors."

...Would that work? "Damned if we do and damned if we don't, I guess." I felt drained. "I say we do it. Dress people up to look like we have muscle, act like we're doing this out of the kindness of our hearts... not desperation." I made a face as I thought of all of the talking I would have to do. All of the thinking and considering and pretending. "I guess I'll send my reply, and we can start preparing."

"Look happy, it's the first military parade since.. Ever. If that doesn't get you into the Genorian history books, then I don't know what will." I couldn't seem to get myself to smile though I really wanted to if only because it had been meant to cheer me up. Sending the country into ruin would do it pretty well. "I think... I think I'll need to sleep for a bit before I get started."

I fiddled with the letter and thought of all Hunter had done for the country and myself. I was always wary of his abilities, but the country wouldn't be here without him. I didn't want him to stop doing whatever he was doing, but I didn't like how exhausted he looked. "Please do, Hunter." I tried to smile at him again, succeeding somewhat. "I think I would make a mess of things if they got here, and you were out because I had worked you too hard." I stood, nodding at him. "I'll leave you to sleeping then."

"Thank you, your highness."

No, thank you. I left without saying it though. I'm sure it's considered unkingly or demeaning. Something of that nature.

I made my way to my chambers, stopping a passing a footmen on my way. "Get the head of guard and the jester for me, would you? Tell them to meet in the throne room."

.~.~.~.

My mind was firmly on the letter I was going to have to write as I turned a corner, and I barely heard Miranda call out my name. I looked up just in time to bend down and hug her tightly. "Hello there." I looked up at Dee who was smiling down at us. "How are my two favorite people today?" I focused my attention on Miranda again as she started talking.

"Dee said I couldn't fly with Seeker, so we're going to get a sweet!"

I straightened and patted her head. "Sounds delicious."

Miranda continued to chatter excitedly, talking about the sweets she wanted and how the cook smelled a little strange, like slightly rotted oranges. Dee and I fell in step behind her as she skipped towards the kitchens.

"So, how has it been since I last saw you? Have you been sleeping well?" Diagoras said, peering at me out of the corner of her eye.

I raised an eyebrow, smiling softly. "Do you want the version I should tell my younger sisters or the truth?"

"The truth would be nice, for a change." She smiled, but gave me a careful look.

I spoke in a murmur, so Miranda wouldn't hear because it was nice to be able to talk to someone without being afraid of saying something wrong or sounding stupid. "The queen of Atra continues to send me letters. I think I'm preparing to hold a peace talk. I'm going to have to pretend we're not struggling at all, so neither of them think that we're an easy target, and I have the beginnings of what I know will be a killer headache." I shrugged. "I sleep decent, considering."

"Considering." She repeated, and nodded with a small sigh. "A peace talk would be good, and maybe even get something done. Who knows, maybe we might find ourselves an ally, or at the least someone to trade with.

You need to take care of your health, Balik. The country will be fine on its own for a few hours without you to look after it. If not for yourself then at least for Miranda. It's no good for her if she sees her brother barely alive."

I rolled my eyes. "Anyone listening to you would think you're my mother."

"I might as well be." She chuckled.

I shook my head and threw my arm around her shoulders. "How about... I go get a treat with you two before I start this idiotic letter? Will that suffice as a break?"

*That would be good!" Miranda chimed in, her voice comparingly louder to the quiet voices Dee and I had been speaking in. Laughing, I scooped her onto my shoulders, and she squealed with delight. "I don't know if you need any more sweets, Mee Mee, your getting pretty heavy!"

She laughed and lightly slapped me on the temple, her tiny body rocking unsteadily on my shoulders. Dee was chortling next to me.

I humphed. "Abuse, I see. We'll see if I ever give you a piggyback ride again!"

"Noooo!" She shrieked and fell into a fit of giggles as she bent down to wrap her thin arms around my neck. I reached up and playfully pretended to pry her hands off, speeding forward and making the growls of an animal, bucking and lightly tossing her this way and that. She screamed and gripped my neck tighter.

"Erm... Your Highness?"

I stopped and turned around, feeling Miranda go still on my shoulders, and recognized my valet. "Yes?" I asked, my voice sharp. Couldn't I have a moment alone?

He twitched nervously, pulling at his collar. Another time, I would have enjoyed making the stuffy servant squirm. "I heard you were meeting with two of your subjects. Don't you feel like you should be dressed... Appropriately? You don't want your people thinking you're slovenly."

I looked down at my clothes. Though considered casual, they were a far call from slovenly.

"You told me to remind you of this, Your Highness," he murmured as he did on a fairly regular basis because it was true. I despised traditional court clothing, and he was correct. I needed something a little less casual and a little more royal to talk to men I wasn't close with.

I glanced at Dee as I sighed. "Get off, Mee Mee. I gotta go take care of the country." I bent my knees so she could slide off easily.

"But Balik..." she murmured, frowning at me.

I gave her shoulder a light tap with my fist. "Save me one of whatever you're eating. If it's the cook's blueberry tarts save me three." I met Dee's resigned gaze and mouthed "Sorry."

Dee's expression quickly changed as Miranda turned to look at her, and with a smile she took the little girl's hand and said with a cheery voice, "Come on, Mee Mee, I think I heard the maids talking about a new shipment of cream this morning. Maybe the cooks are making those cream-filled pastries you like so much."

Miranda's face brightened, but not as much as it had when she was confident that her older brother would be accompanying them. "Do you think that they're making those chocolate cakes too?"

"Maybe." Diagoras grinned as she walked down the hall and disappeared down a shaded hallway, their voices slowly fading away.

I turned away. "Let's go." Time to start putting on a show.
Test

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:54 am
View Likes
Craz says...

Diagoras Kache
Princess of Genor | Day One

The sounds of the kitchen reached the duo long before they turned the corner, and Miranda sped up, her poofy skirts bouncing about her ankles, tugging Diagoras along. As they had moved farther away from the main hallways, the furnishings had become more bare and plain, and now the walls were a simple pale beige and the floors a nondescript wood. Occasionally a servant would scurry by and would bow their heads as they passed, mumbling a quiet "Your Grace" and continuing on their way. Closer to the kitchens, the two would have to occasionally weave out of the way as the traffic became more heavy.

Ducking underneath the feet of an unfortunate man carting a large tray of soups out of the kitchen doors, Miranda disappeared into the disarray of the kitchens, giggling. "Miranda-" Diagoras called, swiftly apologizing to the man and then stepping in after her.

The kitchens were a swarm of smells and activity, preparing for tonight's dinner. Diagoras knew from her hours of staying in here as a child that the work never ended for the cooks, having to feed the many mouths that lived and worked here as they did. She shifted out of the way as an assistant cook darted in her path hauling a large sauce pan filled with red liquid, heading for a fire pit at the other side of the room. Diagoras lifted herself onto the platforms of her feet to look over all of the swarming heads, catching the familiar bouncing curls of her little sister, heading deeper into the chaos.

"Miranda!" She called again, weaving her way through.

"Aha! There's my little pipsqueak!" Exclaimed the large, boisterous man as he affectionately swung the little girl up and around before putting her back down again. As he rose, he grinned, stretching the unproportionate lines of his face and making his appearance seem as if it was a knot in a tree, even though he wasn't quite old enough to be getting any grey hairs. When the man glanced up he was embraced by the older princess, who was smiling with all of her teeth.

"Have you been doing well, Constantine?" Diagoras asked, pulling away to examine the head cook.

He laughed and pat the girl on the shoulder. "You act as if I hadn't seen you two yesterday! I've been doing the same as I was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before! My life has never been that interesting, your Grace."

"Sweets!" Miranda exclaimed, clapping her hands in excitement.

"Ah, that's right! I think I've made a few more honey cakes by accident this morning, and alas, there is no one I can find to enjoy them."

Miranda's eyes became wide, and she said eagerly,"Can we have them? Pleeaase?"

"Of course, your Grace!" Constantine chuckled as he went to fetch them, and returned with the golden cakes held carefully in napkins. "Now as you can see, we're a little busy right now, so you'll have to go into the cook's break room to eat them."

"Okay!" The little princess exclaimed and disappeared a second time into the crowd, her hands stuffed with honey cakes. Diagoras thanked the chuckling man and followed after her, sliding the door shut behind her and sitting down at the small table Miranda was already positioned in, scarfing down a slice, a bit of crumb somehow managing to balance on her nose.

As Diagoras reached to flick it off the muffled noise of the kitchen suddenly multiplied and two voices distinguished themselves from the rest, two female voices, and then the door shut and the kitchen was muffled again. The two voices continued chatting, but they could not see the princesses and the princesses could not see them, as the voices had stopped in the small hallway that led to the break room. The two siblings stood still in surprise, listening to their conversation instinctively.

"- is really struggling. My sister can barely feed her two kids, let alone that barbarian she married."

"Yeah, neither can my brother. The economy really hit him hard. If only we would start trading again..."

"You know, the older princess is of marrying age now. I don't see why the King can't just sell her off to some foreign lord or something. Anything to fix this situation we're getting in."

"She's kind of pretty enough that it shouldn't be very hard to find her a good match-"

The two servants froze when they caught sight of the two princesses, turned toward them, crumbs littering the table. After a split second of shock, the two women deeply curtsied, keeping their heads bowed.

"M-My sincere apologies, my Grace. We had no idea of your presence-"

"You are forgiven. Please rise." Diagoras's voice was kind, but it had a strain about it. "Miranda, I believe it is time for your horse lessons. Come, lets get you dressed."

"But-" She protested.

"You can bring the honey cakes with you."

Miranda grumbled and silently collected the crumbling pieces of cake in her arms and the two stood. Diagoras nodded to the two older women as she passed, and they curtsied again. They weaved their way back through the kitchens, heading towards Miranda's chambers.

Diagoras smiled as Miranda skipped ahead once more, crumbs trailing behind her and her face sticky with honey. Yet all the girl could feel was a hallow emptiness down in the pit of her chest, slowly filling with a foreboding unease.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:27 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Thyramalaji Minttu | Hunter's Apprentice
Genor Castle | Day One

Once I had unpacked the small saddlebag of clothes I had brought with me into the small set of drawers, I hurried out of the room and navigated around the halls until I found a door that lead out into the gardens. I took in the plants, smiling childishly. With a tiny giggle, I slipped off my shoes and dug my toes into the grass, closing my eyes. Sparks of life flickered into focus around me, their dimmed light focusing. Shoes were pesky things, cutting out my link to nature. My mind touched the plants, checking that they were healthy, before roaming around the gardens. I touched my falcon, roosting in a tree a few hundred meters away and I opened my eyes. I let out a strident cry, almost exactly like his, just as a woman turned the corner.

Her curly hair was braided over her shoulder, her dark brown eyes thoughtful. Ethi swooped over her head, startling her slightly, then landed on my outstretched hand. I hurried over, my shoes dangling from my fingers.

"I'm sorry!" I fumbled, gripping Ethi's claws so he couldn't fly off and startle her again. "I didn't mean for him to frighten you."

"You have a pet... bird?" She asked, looking startled. I glanced down at Ethi, who was in the process of tearing into the laces of my glove.

"I suppose I do..." I replied, fishing in the small pocket at my waist for a morsel of meat for him. He'd already ruined a glove before. "A friend too, really."

She studied Ethi as if she had never seen a falcon before and leaned slightly away as if she was wary of him. Then she looked up and met my eyes, examining my face with the same interest.

"I haven't seen you before." She stated. It didn't seem like much of a question, but I answered anyways.

"I just got here this afternoon. I'm Hunter's new apprentice."

"An apprentice..." She mused. I smiled at her vaguely.

"Yes. I have approximately the same powers as him, apparently. That's what his mother said." Ethi bumped my hand with his beak gently, and I moved my arm away before letting him go.

"So did you know him before he came here?" She asked. Sure that Ethi wouldn't swoop at her once more, she turned around, her fingers lightly tapping the colourful flowers and the stems of the trees. After a pause I followed, walking in step with her, eyeing her curiously.

"Briefly. He lived with our tribe for a couple of years before being called away by the King. His mother teaches those with potential." I winced slightly as she tapped a flower a little hard. "The flowers can feel that."

She paused and looked at me in surprise. She glanced down at her fingers, hovering over a large yellow flower, and then rested her hand down by her side. She was smiling though, and chuckled under her breath.

"What is your name?" She asked, turning fully towards me.

"Th-Thyra Minttu. Or Mala. Whichever you prefer, really." I smiled back at her. "What about you?"

"My name is... Evelyn." She said evenly, though I could hear the hesitation in her voice. "It's so much more peaceful in here than out there. There's always people running around the castle, something always goes wrong, and someone always wants something..." She sighed.

"It sounds like you have a lot of responsibility, Evelyn," I placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, not really sure whether it was the right thing to do or not. "Maybe you should try saying no?"

She laughed, surprisingly loud, and it echoed through the indoor garden and startled Ethi. I didn't particularly know what was amusing, but I chuckled with her, a little off guard. She dissolved into girlish giggles and she looked much more at ease than when I had ran into her.

"That would be nice, wouldn't it?" She said.

"I think it would." I smiled at her widely, before frowning a little. "Can you say no? I mean, it's all well and good wanting to say no, but if your post doesn't allow you to... I know that I always had to help with crops in our tribe because I was strong enough. I didn't have any choice in the matter, though I'd have much preferred to be up a tree." I cut myself short. No one had stopped reminding me before I left that quite a few things which I found normal wouldn't be at the castle, and climbing trees was one of them.

"I can certainly try, though some people don't like to be told otherwise." She smiled politely, and then changed the subject. "So, tell me about your tribe."

"We move around a lot. I think that's the first thing people notice." I started, sitting down on a bench and gesturing for her to sit next to me. I launched into a pretty detailed description of my tribe, relishing in her company.

I sat on the floor next to Hunter's door, gently stroking Ethi's head. I figured it was probably pushing the boundaries a little having him inside, but then Hunter had said that it was fine in my room, so why not the rest of the castle? I had waited a few hours before making my way to Hunter's room, and then I hadn't found the heart to knock on his door and wake him up. So I was waiting.

Suddenly, the door cracked open next to me and Hunter stepped out. I blinked before scrambling to my feet. Ethi squawked slightly in protest.

At first he didn't even seem to notice me, staring down along the hallway with a vacant expression, his eyes only half open. I coughed quietly to attract his attention, but he only slowly turned towards me, squinting slightly as he focused on me. "Good.. Day?" Gradually he seemed to become more alert. "It is day, right?"

"Early afternoon," I supplied, smiling and bouncing a little on the balls of my feet. "Did you sleep enough?"

He let out a short, mirthless laugh. "I never get enough sleep." He took a few steps down the hallway, gesturing for me to follow. "Come along, I have to see what you can do. There has been a rather sudden change of plans, so I think I might need your help more than I expected."

"Okay." I smiled at his back. I didn't really mind what I was doing, as long as I was busy. Or outside. "What happened to 'the plan'?"

He seemed to tense slightly, but then quickly relaxed again. As he explained he kept his voice low and spoke quickly, probably to avoid any servants overhearing. "The king decided to invite the monarchs of Atra and Neko over for a long over due talk. Unfortunately, our kingdom is poor and weak, and if they find out they might attempt to conquer it. As you might realize, we can't let this happen. We need them to think that Genor is a prosperous kingdom.. Do you see what I'm getting at?"

I nodded. "Crops are a sign of strength." They also happened to be what I was good at, though it wasn't my favourite thing on earth to do. "So we're making the ground fertile, bringing rain and sun... The works." It seemed pretty straightforward. "Are we going for a short term fix or a long term solution though?"

"We have less than a month to cover the area from the mountain pass to the castle, so we're going for short term and flashy. Imagine the castle gardens, but less exotic. Anything the royals might see needs to be improved." He stopped rather suddenly, turning back to look at me, his expression grave. "It's not going to be easy, and since we have such a short timeframe there won't be much time for sleep. Do you think you're up for it?" He seemed concerned.

I pictured the sheer amount of work needed. "I won't know if I don't try."

He nodded. "The pass isn't exactly close. You should probably borrow a horse from the stables. We'll start there and then continue towards the castle.. You get a horse, and I'll get the seeds we are going to need. Alright?"

"I have my own horse, so borrowing one won't be a problem." I replied, turning towards the stables. "Which horse is yours, though?"

"I don't have one.. You'll see why," he added quickly. "Get it saddled. I'll be right back." He hadn't even finished his sentence before he was hurrying off towards the gardens.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:03 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Rhames A. Esteri
King of Neko | Day One

I opened my eyes to sunlight seeping through the window. Traces of a dream I had slipped my mind as I tried to hold on to them, leaving nothing but a strange and not quite placeable feeling behind. I sighed silently, making a move to pull myself up before remembering I wasn't alone. Ardryll's head was still slightly leaned against my shoulder, his eyes closed but breathing just a bit sharper than that of a person asleep. I calmed down again, resisting the urge to fix the sheets and get my belt off the floor, and carefully brushed a strand of his hair from his cheek. Ardryll stirred, opening his eyes briefly and saying, "Good morning."

"'Morning," I muttered in reply. Too sunny, and introducing a potentially too busy day for me to call it good. I stared at a shape the light made on a wall; it was a circle, almost. A part of me wondered if I could move the curtains just a little bit to make it into a perfect shape. "Are you alright?" I asked instead, closing my eyes again. I was fairly sure last night would leave scars - physical ones, that is - unless he decided to remove them by magic.

"Alright enough." He ran his hand over the cuts on his chest, winced. "Worth it, at least."

I smirked. "Of course it was." I pulled away slightly, enough to take a look, and poked a cut close to his ribs. "It's not quite as visible as the one on the other side."

Ardryll groaned and sat up, trying to avoid putting anymore pressure on the cuts. He looked down at at his chest, looked back up at me and smiled. "Quite the night."

I thought back to it, smiling slightly at the memory and then stretching, suppressing a yawn as I sat up too. My shirt is a mess. I tugged at it a little, but it didn't help much. You'll just change once he leaves. Let it go now, no one else cares anyway. I shoved my inner voice away, but decided to listen anyway, searching for something to focus on. "Does that mean you'll let the scars stay?" Alternatively I'll have to put them there again in one of the nights to come. "Or just heal yourself the moment you leave my sight?"

"I think I'll leave them." He slowly traced over the marks on his sides, then moved his hand to rest on my leg. I turned my attention to it, suddenly not wanting to get out of the bed anytime soon, pretty sure it showed in my expression.

"What would you think," I said slowly, "about going to Genor in a day or two?"

"What?" Ardryll cocked his head, a bit thrown off by the change in subject.

"Genor," I repeated calmly, drawing small circles on the back of his hand with my finger. I knew politics weren't exactly what he felt like talking about, that much was obvious, but I was curious. "I'm pretty sure I'll get called there, or if I don't then I'll just go anyway.. So what do you think?"

He nodded slowly, thinking it over. "I'll go. What's happening in Genor?" His voice was flat, uninterested; he was clearly more focused on something else. I nearly chuckled - it was turning amusing, almost into a game instead of just casual change of subject.

"I have no idea," I admitted. "But it's been a while, neither of my cousins sent as much as a single assassin to take care of me.. I'd guess they're busy warring with each other, but I'd have heard about that already if it were so. Hence, probably planning, and knowing Balik, it might mean some peace offerings. Or false peace offerings, but I'll take what I get." I let my voice trail off along with my thoughts. "He also has a sister."

"Mm. Perhaps we should propose an alliance and get their help in taking over Atra. Genor will be easy to handle if Atra is gone." Ardryll perked up a bit, suddenly realized he was getting interested and sighed. "This isn't quite pillow talk."

"Was I ever good at pillow talk?" I moved, turning more to him and meeting his eyes, narrowing mine slightly. "What would you do if I got married, and there was some strange belief that it's unethical for me to sleep with other people at the same time?" Not that I would care. Not that I would even care whether you'd care... "Would it matter, in any way?"

Ardryll stiffened, sat up straighter. "Since when were you ethical?" he asked slowly. "Besides, who would you be marrying?"

I shrugged. "My cousin has two sisters - and well, there are my cousins, or at least one if it must be a woman. Some of them has to be old and free enough, and what better way to seal an alliance..?" I smirked again. "You're right, I'm not the ethical type, not at all." I let my hands rest on the bed on both sides of him, keeping close enough to kiss him but not making a move of any sort. "I don't even quite understand what it means, only that it seems painfully uninteresting."

"If you married them, I think it may be frowned upon to kill them later," he said. He smiled, perhaps a bit too much, and slid his hand over my shoulder. "I don't know if anyone you married would appreciate me in your bed."

Who cares what they'd appreciate? "True," I muttered. "That makes no sense.." I shook my head, and then placed my hand on his chest - not really paying attention to the cuts - and pushed him back down on the pillows. "I, however, quite appreciate that, for the record."

Ardryll yelped, swore at the pain - but that didn't stop him from knotting his hand in my hair and pulling me down with him. "I'd prefer to stay in your bed. I can't say I'm a fan of change."

I did chuckle this time. "That much I know. You've been on the same post since, what, my childhood?" I didn't wait for an answer, not really expecting one. Instead I just leaned closer and brushed my lips against his, debating with myself whether to reach for the knife again.

"I'd rather not imagine you as a kid while we're in bed." He let his voice fade out, closing his eyes and arching towards me. Slowly, he slid his hands down my sides and smiled.

I allowed myself a moment to think about it. "..Fair enough."

With a slight smile, I let my fingertips travel down the untouched parts of his chest, knowing well enough where they were even without looking down. A part of me - a fairly big part of me - wondered what that would feel like, without clothes in between, if our roles were reversed. You could hold up an illusion of perfectly spotless skin if you wanted, my subconscious reminded me, but I pushed the thought away. Regardless of that, I couldn't imagine myself really taking my shirt off properly. It felt wrong - creating illusion to hide all the imperfections underneath would feel even worse.

Ardryll stayed focused on me, on running his hands over my hips. He leaned up to kiss me. When I didn't kiss him back, he said, "What's wrong? You're being distant."

His words pulled me out of thoughts. Sloppy. At least don't let it be so noticable.. "It's nothing," I said shortly, accidentally running my finger over one of the cuts. "I was just thinking." I gave him a wry smile, hoping to change the topic to things at hand and keep it there. "I was considering adding some details to this," I touched his side, where I had drawn a pattern last night. "...but I figured that you--"

A knock on the door interrupted my words, making me frown as I turned towards it. Out of all times? I didn't really want to answer - whoever it was, they could wait.
I turned my attention back to Ardryll, making that smile reappear, but I only got to barely touch him again before the door suddenly open.

"Your Highness, you're needed--" She stopped as if frozen in place, her eyes traveling from me to Ardryll and back. As if you never saw me in bed with someone, quite possibly him. I was getting impatient already.

"Go ahead," I called, pulling away slightly but not getting up. "Either say what you came to say, or leave us be and I'll ask later." She still seemed a bit reluctant, and I raised an eyebrow at the way she was trying to not stare. "...You can join us, if you're so inclined."

Spoiler! :
OOC; I imagine the girl being either Sita or Samia, and prod me on my wall or whatever if you want to co-write that.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:29 am
View Likes
megsug says...

Eira | Atra | Day One

I leaned against a wall, watching them squeal and play across the street. I didn't know where their father was, but I'm glad he wasn't there. It would have ruined the moment.

When I realized I was heading toward the house I had cleaned, cooked, and mothered in, I had almost turned around, but I had been close enough to hear them by that point. They were so much older now. I closed my eyes as I felt them burn with tears. The oldest boy, Ky, was the one that hurt me the most. I had just begun to teach him when I left. I wondered if he was trying to teach his sister. I wondered if the little one even remembered me, if they talked about me, if the older ones ever told him about how their mother had loved them and, even after she had told punished them, would hold them tightly as they cried. I wondered if any of them had ever started showing signs of having any wolf in them.

I wondered if their father treated them right. They didn't look malnourished or more injured than any children should. Of course, I'd need a closer look to be completely sure.

I started toward them without thinking. I hadn't talked to them in years though I'd always kept a close watch on them. I jumped back as a horse galloped down the road and shook my head as the rider chastised me.

This was not how I acted. I turned away and started a quick walk back into the shadows, away from this painful place that made me someone I wasn't. One quick look back showed me Ky, ignoring his siblings wrestling at his feet as he stared at me.

.~.~.

Little did I know I was going to be babysitting another child when I left them. I was not happy when a guard told me what Naki had done. In fact, I may have hit him.

I then let her know exactly what I thought of her for being so stupid.

The entire match I watched in angry silence, my arms crossed, my face hard. The fist in my stomach started to loosen after she was finished, and I had forgiven her enough to give her something to staunch the bleeding. We had just started home when...

"Naki!"

My eyebrows shot up. Naki? I turned just after she did.

I drew my staff as soon as I realized what was going to happen, but it wasn't fast enough. Naki was on the ground, and now my staff was shaking at his throat as my hand begged to let me finish the swing. I watched the Queen instead, waiting for her signal.

"Who are you?" she demanded.

I had to keep a sigh to myself. If I had been her, the slime would have been dead by now, an example, not worth a passing mention in the history books.

"Mick." He nodded as best he could without slitting his own throat. "Pleasure to meet you, ma'am."

I rolled my eyes what a pain in the ass. He should be shaking right now, grovelling. I slowly raised my eyebrows, silently asking what should be done.

"Get.... Mick... to the dungeons. I'll deal with him later."

I nodded, only a little disappointed, and gave the boy a hard grin as the rest of the Naki's court filed away. I pushed him forward. "Just you and me for now, kid."

The walk back was fun. I tied the kid's hands with leather string and pushed the tip of my staff into his back as he walked in front of me, swatting his legs with it when I thought he was going too slow... Or when I got bored. I couldn't do anything too drastic in public, especially without the Queen's consent, so eventually, I had to break the silence with a question that had been gnawing on the back of my mind for a while, "Why is a scrawny boy like you hitting the Queen?"

"...It seemed like a good idea at the time," he answered after a moment.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him forward so he stumbled because that answer was annoying. He was going to be one of those. "This was a bad time to indulge your whimsy." We were soon on castle grounds, and so I wouldn't have to offend anyone's sensabilities, I took him the long way round and led him through the servant's enterance which was much closer to the dungeons than the main enterance anyways.

Opening the door with a hand gripping his shoulder, I led him through, glaring at any maid who dared stop to stare. The dungeons were right by the kitchens, and I had the explicit pleasure of allowing the boy to tumble down the stairs.

He was stiff as he tumbled down the stairs-- like a cat that was resentful of it's bath. He fell limp as soon he landed at the bottom, and lay moaning, his eyes closed. "Ohh...my back. You broke my back. And my shoulders. And my arm. You broke everything. Owwwww."

I grinned as he moaned. "You gotta be careful, kid. I can't have you dying before the Queen gets to talk to you." I realized he'd gone quiet as I was talking a moment before his leg shot out. I jumped up and took a foot to my ankle instead of my shin. "Son of a b*tch!" I returned the gesture by kicking his side several times before hauling him up. "I've got to give it to you, you have some nerve."

"I think you broke that too," he complained.

I rolled my eyes, glad he was in front of me so I could smile, and hit him in the ribs to teach him. I shoved him into a cell and slammed the door as he sprawled on the floor. "See you in the morning, honeybunches. I'd try to get some sleep."

"You broke my face too," he muttered, his words slurred as his face was pressed against the floor.

I shrugged as I turned to leave. "I try my hardest."

"I wish you wouldn't."

I stopped. "I wish you hadn't punched my queen in the face. It's funny how people do what you wish they wouldn't," I growled.

"You know," he stiffly pushed himself up, exaggering a cringe as he favored his left arm. "I'm starting to wish that I hadn't punched my queen in the face, either. I think you might be onto something there."

I turned to face the stupid kid again. "You're just starting to think that?"

"It's hard to think when you're getting broken," He mumbled, now favoring his right arm.

I approached his cell, leaning one shoulder against a bar. "How about, next time, you think about the chances of getting broken after you do whatever idiotic thing you're about to do before you do said idiotic thing? You're the type that needs a jump start on thinking." I gave him a sickly sweet smile.

"I'm not sure there will be a next time..." He met my gaze just half a moment before shifting back to his moaning, again changing which arm he was cradling. "I'm likely to die right here, as we speak."

This time I laughed. "You won't die from a tumble down the stairs. this may be the last time though. Naki might decide to kill you after all of this is said and done anyways."

There was a moment's hesitation, barely noticeable. "Yeah, all she'd have to do is push me down the stairs again. That'd do me in for sure."

I shook my head, finding myself liking this boy which wasn't acceptable under these circumstances. I blamed it on my quest earlier that day which had made me soft. I turned away again and started walking away. "I hope she chooses a more painful death than that. Let's hope the rats aren't too hungry tonight." I started up the stairs, leaving the moaning boy to himself with rats to empathize.
Test

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:54 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Samia Nazirah|Dark Spymaster|Day One

Last of my underlings to visit on my rounds this morning. I pulled my hood lower over my face, checked to make sure the makeup that gave me a different appearance wasn't smudged, and knocked slowly on the door. Thrice hard and quick, thrice soft and slow.

It swung open, and my deputy ushered me inside the hovel. He glanced out onto the street to make sure no one was watching, then swung the door closed. He was an utterly average looking man-brown hair and eyes, in between height, not potly nor starving. Perfect as a spy.

"Report." I rasped. Years of spying had taught me how to change my voice enough that only the most observant could identify there was even something not right about it.

"Lesse, well...Cordel Silvia, some warrior in Atra, has taken it inta his head to challenge the queen to a duel, I hear."

"Useful information. Perhaps he'll beat her, and take the bitch down a peg."

"Perhaps. An' Genor is in big trouble with its harvest."

I wave a hand dismissively. "All tell that tale. One might as well say the King sleeps with half the palace. It is known."

"Is it known that Captain Meadows o' the horse is plotting to rebel against our all-lovin' king?"

I showed no sign on my face, but my thoughts were racing. "It is not. How firm is this rumor, and how far along are his plans?"

"My best agent got this one. There's no doubt. Don't think the men will support him in it yet, but if he can bad mouth the king to the troops any longer..." He left the rest unsaid. We both knew there was plenty to complain about in the kingdom, though Rhames was trying his best.

"Thank you for your insights." I slipped him a handful of coins, larger than the normal amount, and left.

I adjusted my appearance slowly on the way back to the palace, ducking into a shop here to lose my cloak, a tavern there to wash away some of the makeup. I knew enough that by the time I entered my room at the palace, there was nothing to connect the dirty citizen on the streets of the city with Samia Nazirah, a lady who could be expected to be beautiful and adept at the yulaki skills but nothing else, and certainly not someone to pay attention to.

This was important enough to go straight to Rhames, now, instead of waiting for later in the day. I strode through the palace, stopping only when I caught snippets of interesting conversation. Nothing turned out to be important though, except the repeat of rumors that the Yeweri, a prominent merchant family, were trading with Atra. I'd already double checked those rumors and found them not to be true-they were, however, trading with Genor. Something that would have to be dealt with soon.

Rhames's door was wide open, so I walked straight in. Now was not the time to observe proper Yulaki custom and wait for him to seek me.

The scene I walked into was rather...interesting. Sita arguing with Rhames, who was straightening a fold on his shirt and clearly quite annoyed, and Ardryll still in the bed, looking rather peeved at it all. I spoke gently, "May we all calm down?"

Rhames glared at me. "What is it now?"

"One of your wonderful captains has taken it into his head to revolt, and I am certain that you would not be fond of that idea. Do please wait to kill him just yet; I would prefer to speak with him in person to determine the truth of this accusation. However, he should most likely be arrested, for the safety of the realm. Also, we should take one of the Yeweri children as your ward, better known by those who don't speak politics as a hostage. Their family trades with Genor."

The room was silent for a long moment.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:19 am
Omni says...

Lucretia Borgelia

I picked Anaki up and led her into the Castle, the guards knowing to keep the doors shut behind me. I looked to a maid, and she nodded briskly.

Anaki grunted, "it seems to me that you've done this before."

"I'm always mopping up your messes, Anaki." Practically dragging her up a flight of stairs up to her personal quarters. The maids has already brought up several chairs and my healing kit. Pulling out a chair, I released her and pointed to it, "sit." She sat reluctantly, a hurt but defiant look on her face.

"Look, I know that I should have-"

"You could have picked any time you wanted, seeing as you were the defender, and you chose the afternoon of? Seriously, woman, you have advisors for a reason. This is one of them! You do not go out and accept a challenge all half-assed like you did there. You could have been killed," I opened my sack of medical tools and pulled out a piece of soft cloth, "bite on this."

"Why am I going to need that?"

"You ask too many questions. Now bite on it before I shove it down your throat." She growled softly at that, but took the cloth and bit down tightly on it.

"I'm going to heal your wounds, Anaki. It's going to be painful, so a little thing I like to do before I start," I clenched her left forearm and dug my heel into her foot. She grunted, and she looked like she was about to jump out of the chair whenever I blasted her arm with heat. Her grunt turned into a scream and her face paled. Her eyes fluttered shut as she drifted in and out of consiousness.

I focused on the wound. It wasn't deep, but there was something different about it. Something wrong. I closed my eyes and suddenly I was there, with my fire, pulsing through her skin and into her muscles. And I located it. poison.

All of a sudden, I was back in my body, looking down at her arm as flames spread out around it and into the wound. Putting my other hand around the cut on her cheek, I found the same substance as last time. The knife he used was poisoned. This was calculated. This was no drunken attempt at fame, this was a calculated strike against the throne.

I quickly finished my healing process, and Anaki was out cold. Her arm was scorched, it's flesh almost boiling hot, but it would heal. My fire always does that. Her cheek was much more refined, but it still pained her. The poison was still festering in her body, even though I got rid of as much as I could.

I set her gently in the large bed that the room held in the corner, and for a moment, she was a young child again. She wasn't the defiant, rough queen who's appearance was kept only for the public, but the frail and broken princess she tries to hide everyday.

I lost all of my anger as I looked at her unconscious frame. "Oh, Anaki, the things you go through for your kingdom. I'll never understand you." Wrapping her arm in a stint and bandages, I collected my things, stacked the chairs in the corner of the room, and left to go find Eira.

You and I may have our differences, war chief, but there's one thing that we'll both go down fighting on, and that's the queen we serve. If we don't solve this now, this very well may start a war.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Reviews: 0
Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:26 am
View Likes
dragonthief1 says...

Natasha- Royal Horsemaster
Nat glanced arournd the courtyard as the stablehands chatted amongst themeselves."Oi!" She yelled, " the crown doesnt pay you to chat amongst yourselves like girls. Get to work!" The young men scattered to do their duties. Nat shook her head as she walked towards the main hall for a quickbite to eat. She nearly ran into Eira as she was storming aroimd the corner. Nat quickly side stepped the war chief and gave a quick bow. Eira smiled politely then spoke. "Oh sorry Nat didnt see you there. I have a quick question." Nat tilted her head." Do you know perhaps how long until my new horse Drake will be ready?" Nat smiled. "Well he's been going through his training very well, but you can never tell how good of a steed he will make until they smell the blood and hear the clash of arrms. But with a sire such as Dalonair, im sure he'll not let you down." Eira smiled happily and gave Nat a slap on the back." My thanks Nat. Good day." And with that the war chief sauntered down the hall with a purposeful stride.
After her meal, Nat headed to her rooms where she to go through some breeding books. As she was looking through them she heard a knock on the door.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:49 pm
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Havelock Shepherd | Genor | Day One
The bags of seed weren't exactly light, and since I knew we were going to need a lot of them I asked the servants to help me out. We'd need trees and grass to replace the sparse mountain flora, as well as any type of bushes that gave eatable berries and flowers of different sorts. Nothing extreme or exotic, just plants that could grow there naturally if there was just a bit more nutrition in the soil and shorter and warmer winters. We'd also need to expand any fields that were visible from the castle or the path the royals would have to take to reach it, which the farmers would undoubtedly appreciate. Though it's not like we're going to be able to keep them alive more than a month or two without killing ourselves.

The servants attached the bags of seed to the saddle of Thyra's horse, and I watched with a small forced smile. I was used to being run into the ground by duties like these, but she wasn't, and I hadn't wanted to scare her off the first few days. I had intended to let her start with just training, nothing more than she could take, helping out a few farmers and seeing the good side of the job, but this wasn't the good side. She'd help her country, but she'd also be tired like never before.

"Are you ready?" I inquired with a friendly voice, not quite able to hide that I was still rather tired. I could've taken a horse as well, but I preferred stretching my legs a bit. Strange as it might sound, running made me feel more awake.

"Mhmm," she mumbled, gazing around at everything. I couldn't tell whether she was overwhelmed, or just taking everything in her stride and daydreaming. She reached forwards to scratch her horse's ear. "Enna wanted an outing anyway."

I nodded, noting the name of the horse. "Follow me." Before I had time to change my mind about bringing her along I turned into a dog, enjoying the feeling of stretching out all four legs without anything hurting, and then taking off. It didn't take long for me to find a steady rhythm that I could hold, and I could hear Enna's hooves pounding the ground close behind me. The mountain pass wasn't exactly close, but it made the most sense to start there, since it was what the royals would see first.

"I'm guessing you've never been to the other side?" I asked as soon as I had turned back to my human form, trying to catch my breath. If only dogs could talk and do magic.. I'd probably never change back. The roar of the viscous lightning storms that raged inside the narrow pass were rather loud when one was so close to it, but it was nothing to the deafening sound inside it. It was the only way to get into Genor, and the spells that I had put up in it was what ensured Genor's total isolation. When the royals came I'd have to let them through.

"Never," she replied as she dismounted, stroking Enna's neck gently. She reached into a pouch at her hip and gave her horse some oats, whispering to her softly. She seemed extremely attached to her horse, and her falcon. In fact, her falcon was sitting calmly on her shoulder, ruffling its wings from time to time in the wind. I couldn't say I understood it, but that was probably because I was half dog myself, and getting a pet just seemed like a strange notion, but at least I could tell that she was nice to animals. Now, if she's only equally nice to people, I might've found myself a successor.

I nodded. "Want to have a look before we start? The view is great, and one can see both Atra and Neko." In fact, the view from the other end of the mountain pass was all I had ever gotten of the two kingdoms, but it didn't bother me much. I loved my kingdom, and sometimes when I tried to help nature along I could almost feel it trying to give something back. It was probably just me imagining things, but according to my mother there were gods in the mountains that sometimes interacted with us.

"That would be amazing." I smiled, taking down the spells that protected the pass so that she could walk through without being hit by lightning. She wandered to the turn of the road and drank it in, a peaceful, lazy smile drifting across her face. After a few moments, her falcon started plucking at her hair, and she started, turning back to me. "It's beautiful."

"It looks rather nice from a distance, yes.." I mumbled, adding: "Though from what I've heard it's not actually especially pleasant. Not with all the political tension." I shrugged and sighed quietly as I turned back, trying to once again focus on the monstrous task ahead of us. "Well then.." As we walked out of the pass again I raised the spells once more. "I was thinking we could start with planting trees and making a pine and fir forest?" It grew in the area naturally, or at least in the lower valleys, so it wouldn't look strange. I need to get some moss as well, for it to look normal. Hopefully the animals, or at least the birds, would move in quickly. "And maybe some blueberry. We can do it in three stages. Forest, bush-land and fields, each being closer to the castle."

"Whatever needs to be done," she replied, picking the right seed bags from her saddle. She set them down next to her and tied up her hair. "So... seeds, then rain and growth?"

"Yes.. And we need to give the soil enough nutrition to be able to keep the plants alive while the royals are here. Luckily a forest like this requires very little." I thought for a moment, before glancing at her horse. "Use the horse to cover the ground with the seeds. I'll enrich the ground while you do that and get them to start growing. When you're done you can call for the rain, and then help me." That wouldn't tire her as much, I hoped. It still wasn't an easy start, but she'd at least not collapse. "You need to go as far as we can see, and probably further.. And we'll have to create an artificial tree line, higher up than the real one." I caught myself using my 'official' voice, the one I used when I spoke to servants, and reminded myself to smile at her. "It's a bit much, I know, but we're in a hurry."

"It's perfectly fine." She smiled back. "I could probably get Ethi to help as well, taking the seeds higher up. If I give him a lighter bag."

I nodded. "That's a good idea, yes. Do that with the raspberry seeds. They need to be scattered far apart." If this had been a small scale project - like the castle gardens - I would've actually thought of it as fun, but this was far too much for two people, and playing a god wasn't as much fun when it deprived you of all your energy. "Let's get started then."
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

Reviews: 0
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:02 am
dragonthief1 says...

Talon

With haste i led a small company of light cavalry towards the capitol, tge rest of the army was a day or two behind us. As we neared the southern gates a guard called out." In the name of the queen halt and state your business!" My troopers grumbled angrily. Tension had been rising between the army and the City guardsmen." You know damn well who it is! Open this gate or by the gods i will break it down!!" I shouted. My horse nickered nervously as the large metal gates began to open. It took nearly 12 grown men to open the massive gates." Hiyaa!" I shouted and my horse charged forward. My soldiers were close behind. People began to look on curiously as we thundered past, then they resumed their work. As i neared the palace gates they were hastily pulled open as the palace guardsman recognized me. I was usually leading them but i was recently on loan to the army to help with some issues.
Our group clattered into the palace courtyard as stablehands began to rush forward to take our weary horses but i waved them away. Two men dismounted and flanked me as i walked towards the throne room. Servants chattered excitedly as they went about their duties. Before i entered the throne room i removed my helmet and gave it to a soldier and went in, my two guards staying behind. The whole council was there as well as some nobles. I bowed swiftly before Anaki. She smiled and gestured for me to rise. I stood wearliy" and so the talon of Atra returns." Someone said. I turned and looked into the eyes of Dalon Turgood. I smiled faintly then turned to the queen." My liege... may we speak in private with Eira and Lucretia?" Seeing my look she nodded and the four of us moved to an adjacent room, her bodyguards standing outside.
"Captain... what happened?" Eira asked slowly. I sighed and began to rehearse my tale." We entered the city with 12000 soldiers.... now im leading back 4,000. General Halfir is dead. The rebels were nore well prepared than we thought. My queen... i believe Neko agents led this rebellion. The enemy... they had Neko made weapons. And i recognized several Neko tactics. The good news is the city is ours again. And they will never rebel again." I stared at the floor." Before he died, general Halfir ordered every captured rebels right hand to be chopped off." I heard Anaki breath in sharply. Eira's face gardened and Lucretia gasped. I continued." It would have been kinder to kill them. But for now the threat is over." Eira spoke up." My lady... Turgood may use this to his advantage to gain more support from the court. He will use this to weaken Talin's status and maybe have him removed fron leading the palace guard. Everyone knows that the Guard would be as carefree as drunks without Talon to put them in line." I nodded." He wants to put his nephew Emero in my place. The boy does anything his uncle tells him too. But i would not worry about this. Ive been rooting out whos loyal and who is loyal to money. With your permission, i would like to release a good amount of the guard. Most of these men can be bought which we can not afford to do in case someone pays higher. I have been given the use if 50 elven guardians to replace them. My father promises our clan will be loyal to the end if necessary. "Eira's eyes widened." A guard of humans and elves... that would be interesting." I smirked. Maybe a couple of dwarves." She glanced at me. I turned back to Anaki." My lady. This may turn some people against you. But i can assure you.. if you have elves, humans, and dwarves in your private guard, the people who will protect you night and day, then this will prove to all races that you are a just ruler, not just to humans. It will certainly gain you the loyalty of those peoples. And maybe some of Neko's resident elves and dwarves as well."
She looked very thoughtful." You make several good points. I will have to think on this. Traditionally its always been humans serving as my guards. But i may have to agree with you. I cannot afford any treachery among my personal guards. You will have my answer soon." I bowed low than added." Also, i have some news as well. The minotaur tribes of the Steppes are wanting to send an ambassador here. My father has guaranteed their safety if you agree. They wish to end the skirmishes with our soldiers. And they may prove an assest if they side with us. But chose quickly. Rumors are spreading about a second ambassador to Neko."
I bowed and left the room as Anaki began speaking with her war chief and advisor. I retrieved my helmet from my soldiers. I whispered into his ear." Have General McTavish go to staging area Spectre. I dont want the queen on her own if Turgood makes a move." He nodded and he left with the other soldier. I returned to the main hall as my Captains among the Royal guard that werent on duty gathered. I nodded at them." Now we wait."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:19 pm
Auxiira says...

Thyramalaji Minttu | Genor | Day Two

My head drooped towards Enna's neck as I rocked in my saddle, exhausted after growing so many plants, though I wouldn't admit it. It had taken almost walking into a growing tree for me to accept to be sent back to the castle. I hadn't wanted to leave him to do the work by himself, but Hunter had insisted that I go back for more seeds anyway. Ethi nudged his beak into the side of my neck to keep me awake.

I was relieved when the castle walls loomed in front of me, and gathered enough energy to slide off of Enna. As my feet touched the ground, I realised I hadn't put my shoes back on, and assumed they were back with Hunter, somewhere. I could feel everything pressing on my temples and rubbed them softly. I asked the servants to get some bags of seed ready for in a couple of hours, then made course for my room, half-hoping that I wouldn't run into anyone who wanted to talk. Considering I had only been there for less than a day, it was unlikely.

I actually managed to get to my room without anyone talking to me, and curled up on my bed, wrapping my blanket around myself.

~~

I woke up to someone knocking on the door. It was actually quite polite knocking, but anything that woke me up was normally subject to an internal grumble. Despite the fact that I had exhausted myself earlier, and that I hadn't apparently slept much, I still felt pretty lively. Dropping the blanket on the bed, I opened the door. A servant stood there, shifting a little.

"You said to have seed ready for now, ma'am." I looked at him blankly for a few moments before remembering. I murmured a reply and made my way to the stables, only stopping to check that Ethi was following.

Enna had been fed and brushed down, but was saddled again, with the seed ready when I got there. I wrapped my arms around her neck as far as they would go and kissed her velvety nose.

"Is your horse your friend too?" I turned around to see Evelyn leaning against the side of a stall, her hair plaited again, her brown eyes twinkling.

"Yes, she is," I murmured. I started to smile back at her, but it turned into a yawn which I quickly smothered. "Good morning."

"Good morning, indeed!" She chuckled. "It doesn't look like you slept much. Are you missing your home?" the question surprised me.

"Not much." It wasn't really my home as much as the nature there. Speaking of nature… "I'd like to stay and talk more, Evelyn, but I have to go and work." Taking Enna's reigns from the post they were looped around, I swung a leg over her back and settled into the saddle.

"Were you working yesterday? Is that why you're tired?" I paused for a second, slightly startled by her astuteness, although I don't know why. I hardly knew her enough to judge on that. Not sure how much I was allowed to say, and seeing Hunter's secrecy the day before, I decided that a half-answer would be enough and nodded.

"Well I am Hunter's apprentice." Her brow furrowed a little and I took her silence to mean that the conversation was over. Nudging Enna ever so gently with my knees, I waved goodbye to Evelyn and started off for the pass.

~~

I smiled at Hunter, sleeping in his dog form as I arrived. I had been slightly surprised to see him change into a dog, but not that much. There had always been rumours, even if I didn't listen to them, and frankly, I didn't feel like letting things like that surprise me. Glancing around as I dismounted, I saw that the undergrowth had become thicker and the trees higher. I dug my toes into the soil a little and sensed more plant life around us. I sighed, throwing Hunter a look despite the fact that he was asleep. Crouching next to him, I scratched him behind the ear a little, even though I found it a little strange. I assumed that seeing as he was in dog form, he'd enjoy being petted. At least, I hoped so, otherwise it was going to be a little awkward when he woke up.

By the time I had taken the bags of seed down from Enna's saddle, he was awake, watching me quietly with his different coloured eyes.

"Good morning... I have the seed." I ventured, even though it was obvious. "So we'll be moving further down the Pass, yes?"

He changed into his human form, looking far more tired as the dark rings under his eyes were showing again, still sitting comfortably on the heather and looking up at me with a drowsy face. "Ah.. Yes. I think we're almost done with the forest, so we'll be moving onto the bushland now. We need to make sure to leave stumps of sawed off trees here and there, so that it'll look like people made use of the timb.." His voice trailed off, as he actually fell asleep in the middle of a sentence, just to get startled as his head started falling down and then woke up again. "And we should put a mire somewhere. There are a lot of them here, and they require very little energy." He seemed to think for a moment, looking at the seeds. "Yeah, that should do it."

"Okay." I frowned at him, concerned. I wasn't sure he should actually be doing anything, if he was falling asleep whilst talking, but then I wasn't sure if it was my place to tell him that he should rest more. I murmured the list to myself a couple of times, picking up a bag of seed. "I really think you should stay here. You can barely stay awake."

He frowned and looked like he was about to deny it, but then simply shook his head and got up with a slight groan, seeming unwilling to put any weight on one of his legs. "I don't have time for that now. I can rest when we're done with this, but not before that. There's a lot hanging on the appearance of this kingdom right now, and it's my duty to do my best." With a deep breath, that turned into a yawn, he stretched his arms out into the air and then directed his hands towards the ground. "We'll do the same thing as before. You spread the seeds and I'll make sure they start growing. I'll work on the forest while you get started." A pained expression flashed lashed over his face as he started focusing his magic into the earth, but he quickly bit his lip to hide it.

I pursed my lips, frowning. "No. You spread the seeds and I'll work on the forest. If you fall asleep or pass out, Enna will bring you back here." My painted mare lifted her head at the sound of her name, snorting softly. "You won't be of any help if you can't actually grow anything." I swallowed my own yawn inconspicuously and rubbed my feet together awkwardly. "Please, Hunter?"

He sighed, seeming annoyed. "Thyra, stop. I've done this long enough to know my own limitations. Now get to work so that I can do mine." His tone was sharp, but not angry, and the forest around him was growing quite noticably.

I could hear the underlying message and flushed. I picked up a bag and mounted Enna, trying to hide my embarassement. I hadn't wanted to annoy him, I was just worried. But then apparently it was displaced. Nudging Enna with my knees, I left to do what I had been told.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

don't try me bro
— Seirre