Evangeline's Song [Open - started]

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:09 am
View Likes
megsug says...

Penny Taylor | Evangeline bait on the Majestic | Portsmouth Harbor, Britain
June 15th, 1864

It’s loud. Shouting and shrieking and constant wishwash slap splosh. The earth rocks beneath us. Shh. Be still, Penny. Be quiet. Just for a little while. Please. For me. I get to leave with Eli today. No more disappearing for months and months and months. Shouting. I expect and demand the very best Nervous Eli. Head tilted. Mouth tight. Breaths shallow. It’s okay Eli, pet him like he does for you. Be still, Penny. The rocking earth is smooth beneath my feet. Trace a white scar with a toe. Up. Down. Up. Men you know why... Different voice. Still in control. Glance up. Glance down. Loud sounds. Shouts. Busy. Stumble as someone jostles against me. Let’s get out of the way, Penny. Eli, safe, trust. Holds my arm too tight. Let me go. Let me go. Let me go. Shouting. Too loud. Cover my ears. Ma... Woman with man hair. Eli knows her. My name is... Gone.
Too loud.
I can take you below deck. Eli’s grip is relaxed now. The wind brushes against my face and pulls at my clothing. Pull at the collar. Not too itchy today. Promise to be good.
Dark and cool. Down some stairs, the floor is cold on my feet as the earth rocks. Don’t fall Eli wait. Be good. He’ll be here with you. Do what he says. A boy peers behind him. Glance away.
Eli wait.
I’ve got a job to do.
Gone except for goldielocks.

Eli Taylor | Navigator of the Majestic | Portsmouth Harbor, Britain
June 15th, 1864

I was worried Penny was going to create a scene in the middle of Captain Arrow's speech and then in the middle of Mr. Fox's. She was good, considering how bad she could have been. The roar of the docks made her cringe, but I talked her through it onto the ship. I just needed her to be quiet and still for a little longer. I was a little relieved she was coming with me. I didn't like leaving her alone,but now I was having second thoughts about bringing her at all.

I glanced at her when she started patting my arm, raising an eyebrow. "Just be still, Penny," I murmured.

"...Let's find this cursed excuse for a ship!"

Penny flinched as the crew cheered, and I put my hand on her arm, praying she wouldn't lose it now. I can see her jaw tighten as people move against us. "Let's get out of the way, Penny." Really, I need to get below deck to start studying maps and charts, but Penny comes first. Always.

I try to lead her to the railing where we'll be bother no one. She pulls at my hand with her free one, squirming. She's mumbling, but I can't understand what she's saying. When we get to a place away from all of the action, I let her jerk her hand away and watch as she covers her ears.

I nod at Dr. Morgan as she walks over and nudge Penny a little, getting her to straighten up and acknowledge the doctor's presence. She does alright for Penny, and Dr. Morgan doesn't seem too offended as she quickly leaves. I can't help but wish Penny had a woman a little more... motherly on board, but I suppose we'll make due.

She suddenly says something I can understand. "Too loud."

I have to reward her for actually telling me what's wrong. Normally, it's a guessing game to see what's bothering Penny. I lead her toward the stairs. I don't feel like I'm handling a dangerous weapon ready to go off anymore, so the walk across the deck is much easier this time. I ignore any glances that might go our way and focus on Penny, talking to her in a calm voice about small things,about things the average person would talk about except I'm carrying both sides of the conversation. She's fingering her collar but doesn't seem on the verge of a clothes tearing tantrum. It would be a little more panicked.

I see the new cabin boy and jerk my head to get him to come towards me.

"Yes sir?" he asked as he jogged toward us.

"You got anything to do yet, kid?" I opened the door for Penny. "Be careful. Don't fall."

"No sir." His eyes are big. I like the bright look I see there. Maybe he'll be good for Penny.

"Now you do." We go below deck. "Penny, I've got to go for a while. I've found a boy named Austin. He's very nice. I need you to be good..." I glance around at the doors in the hallway and open one, hoping no one's in there as I peer around. It's a bedroom. I close the door quickly. The next door has cannons as does the next. I open a door to see more stairs. With a sigh of frustration, I give up, glaring at Austin before loosening up a bit and forcing a smile. It's not the kid's fault I can't find a place for them to go. I guess I'll just let him handle it. "Take care of her. I swear to you, if something happens, I'm going to make you regret it. In this relationship you're the responsible one, understand?"

"Eli."

I close my eyes before turning to Penny.

"Wait."

I smile, this time completely genuine, and, in a familiar ritual, kiss my fingers before touching her cheek. "I've got a job to do."

I leave quickly. I know if I take too long she'll be harder to handle.

I feel a bit heartless, but I can't wait to get to my simple maps.
Test

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:56 am
TheCrimsonLady says...

Aethelflaeda/Deck of the Old Maiden

I walk down belowdecks to hunt down the Master Gunner. Actually, he was a lot of thing aboard my ship. I shake my head and watch him scramble out from belowdecks with two new sailors behind me. I sigh as sweat drips onto the deck from their foreheads and move to confront them. "Oy! Either stop sweatin' on my decks or you'll be the ones cleanin' then in the middle o' winter." I walk up to Captain Hutchings and Rett. The last of their conversation catches my ears and I snort.
"Captain can't give orders, Rett, not even if he wanted to." I study the ship in the distance. "I say we board." Captain Hutchings looks annoyed. Very annoyed. I smile inwardly and then slump as I remember the day.
"Why? Our ship is broken and they look strong." Rett's voice rings out. She looks angry at me casual address of her.
"'Zactly. We can't outrun them, and they look to be headed straight for us. Better we board them than they board us. Besides, we're low on supplies anyway." I squint my eyes against the sun and grin at the thought of a fight.
Last edited by TheCrimsonLady on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:31 am
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Jakob listened intently to what the Quartermaster said, and knew she was right. But he still waited for the Captain to nod in agreement before running up onto the top deck where most of the crew were assembled, leaning over the rail which ran around the outside of the ship.
"Attention everybody!" he bellowed, "Were boarding. Their ships bigger and we'll lose if we use the cannons, so we're going to use the irons. Don't just stand there! MOVE!"
As the crew lurched into action, grabbing weapons from the store and loading pistols and rifles, Jakob picked out the two newbies.
"You two. You'll be in the second offensive." He pulled a sailor from the crowd and said "Go with James here, and do what he does. And try not to get killed."
Within minutes the whole crew were standing, armed to the teeth, on the top deck, armed with grappling irons. Jakob had drilled them in this, and he was glad it had payed off. There were two lines, the first and second wave.
The first wave was comprised of the 'larger' crew members, wielding broadswords, axes, and anything heavy that hurts, and they were lead by Rett, the first mate. Absalom nodded to her, and she nodded back.
The second wave were the smaller fighters, generally carrying lighter weapons, scimitars, rapiers etc. The idea was that the first wave needed the most room, and generally caused more havoc when surrounded by enemies, and the second wave provided back-up before the first were overwhelmed. It was a good tactic, and one that had served him for many years. Jakob himself lead the second wave.
The enemy ship was close: within a few minutes they would come into cannon range. They would take a hammering then, but hopefully not for too long, and they would get the attack onto the ship before the Maiden got too many holes in it.
BANG!
the first shot was fired from the ship, followed by another and another. Almost close enough...
"First wave, charge!"
With dexterity honed from years of training and drills, the first band shot the grapples in the air. For a moment they all hung in mid air, iron crows against a bright blue sky, before finally plunging onto the deck and into the rigging of the opposing ship. There were men on the deck of the other ship too, but not as many, most of them working the cannons.
As the first wave swung across, the second wave opened fire from the deck. Absalom saw Rett on the other deck and bellowed across the water, "TAKE OUT THE CANNONS!" She nodded in reply, before she was lost in the turmoil of the fight.
"Second wave, attack!" The storm of irons flew once more as the second wave shot, and as one, Absalom and the crew swung across to the other ship.
Now for some real fun.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina