Young Writers Society

The Cinereal Wolf Pack

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:31 am
View Likes
Cynder says...

~Snowflake~

My side ached as I jogged in front of the outsider. I looked back and saw our trail, along with splotches of blood. I noticed, too, that my markings had faded and were unnoticeable amongst the gashes in my fur. I slowed to a stop for a minute to clean my wounds quickly. The outsider looked at me and growled,
"Why is your side littered with red? Long time battle scars? Just crusted blood?"
I looked upon the outsider's skinny form. I thought that I could faintly see an outline of a skeleton. I then stared straight into her eyes and answered her.
"Yes, it is red. And no, you did not inflict damage upon anywhere but my side. My face was red already. They are markings, and the tale is not pretty. However, I have earned my fair share of scars. Anyway, we should-" I stopped abruptly and sniffed the air. I recognized the scent at once. Fire. Seconds later, I heard a howl-signaling that the rest of the pack knew as well. The outsider looked at me.
"You are worried?" I stood straight up and resumed my jog. The young wolf tried hard to keep up.
"This.. is a different direction. Where are you..?"
"Quiet, young hunter. You know the scent in the air do you not? What happened to your pack? Don't answer that-I don't need to know right this moment. To answer your question, I'm leading you away from the fire. Now hurry in this direction and watch out for man. Run, young hunter. Do not forget that I have quite possibly just saved your life. GO!" I growled. She ran without so much as a glance back.
That annoyed me, and I could feel a heat rising within me. I stopped my anger by thinking of the pups. I had to get to Heather. With that in mind, I stilled my anger and broke into a run to find the alpha female. My side burned angrily, but I continued on for the honor of the clan. The smoke got closer and closer-the clan camp at the den-it's to risky. I ran yet faster to warn Heather.
Cynder Rosetail Draak

"Be able to say: I am what I want to be."

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:35 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

~Collin~

I walk up to Heather, my Mom, and greet her as the pack reconvenes in the clearing. Glancing at my brothers and sisters I notice the young pup. A few feet away I see a wolf I don't recognize.

"Who's that?" I ask, involuntarily backing up a few paces. "I don't recognize her."

"She is the lone wolf who we drove off earlier, dear." Mom replies.

"Well why is she still here then? I don't understand. Isn't she our enemy?" My tone descends into a low growl.

"She saved the young pup," she explains. "He got himself caught in the midst of the flames and would have died if it hadn't been for that lone wolf, Kimyea."

"Oh!" I exclaim. My tone changes from a growl to a tone of respect. "Is she going to join the pack?" I ask, prancing eagerly in anticipation.

"Hush dear. Your father and I haven't decided yet. Now settle down. Now isn't the time to get all excited about it. We need to focus on other things. For one thing we need to find food and for another thin we will need to look for a new den our old one was probably consumed by the fire when it swept through the valley."

What do you mean?" I ask, my eyes welling up with tears as I think of all the memories I have as a young pup living in the den. "We won't have to find a new home to live in will we?"

"Hush now! You aren't a pup any longer, you know. It is time you grew up! Now, let's get going."

"Your mother is right, son." Conan, my father, says walking up to me. "It is time you took on a little more responsibility. For now, I want you to go and hunt. We will need need some food if we are going to survive.

"Yes father," I say, turning and walking away from the pack and into the forest.

As I walk away I hear voices drifting to me on the wind, as I pause to take a sniff I catch a word or two. Most of them are generic, but one catches my my attention. It struck me like a bolt of thunder or lightning. Skyefire! It sounds so... noble. After that I walk on.

Spoiler! :
Sorry for the short post! :( I couldn't think of that much to write about. I hope you like what I have, though! ;)
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:01 am
View Likes
Shiverfeather says...

GREY

I padded along beside the pack, legs aching as I ran. It was interesting to think we'd never see this place again...I guess that's kinda sad. More exciting than said though, I think. It's like some big adventure-we'll explore the whole forest and...

Noticing that I'd fallen behind, I growled. Those were my two downfalls-everybody said so, I was the runt and a dreamer. Bad enough being one, let alone both. The runt part was worse, I suppose. My parents say it was lucky I lived this long.

The dreamer part is good, I think. We need more dreamers in the world. After all, dreamers see the best of things. Like, for example, this place is pretty cool. There are all sorts of animals-ones we never saw around the old den.

And then of course there is the lone wolf. That's pretty cool, I think. She's lived all alone for all her life. Sometimes runts get abandoned, so sometimes they become lone wolves which is really, really cool. My mother said that's not what happens-she said if I was abandoned I'd be dead. I don't think so.

Stretching out my legs, I watch the lone wolf. My parents wouldn't want me to talking to her. They really don't want me talking to anyone. Stay in the den Grey. Don't talk to strangers Grey. Don't go in the water Grey, you're the runt afterall-you could get sick and die. Leave you're brothers and sisters alone, Grey, no more 'play-fights'.

I ran quickly up to the loner, glancing around quickly to make sure no one has seen. She stares at me questiongly.

"Hey, my name is Grey." I yelp happily. This is someone knew to talk to-the pack is boring..."You're name is..."

"Kimyea." she whispers, runnning ahead if me. I sprint as fast as I can, puffing when i catch up to her. "I don't think you're meant to be talking to me."

"I'm not," I admit sheepishly. "but I'm bored and you're a lone wolf, right? That's cool-"

"Less cool than you might think." Kimyea mutters softly.

"Yeah, well I'm a runt so-"

"I've heard some runts become the best wolves when they grow." She announces happily just as my father calls out for me. "Bye."

Yelling 'seeya' over my shoulder, I promise myself I'm going to get to know her better.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:01 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

~Heather~

When I was told that the bright-eyed pup was missing, I had wanted to tear Ogden to shreds.

If it wasn't for the lone wolf, the pup would have certainly died. What were the chances that Kimeya had discovered him? I could see his quivering body, cornered by the beasts of fire.

Conan slowed to a stop, sniffing the ground. We were far from the wildfire now and the bright-eyed pup was safely trotting at my side, but we were at the edge of the territory. Most of valley we had to ourselves, but the rocky entrance was disputed territory. Conan and I were very cautious of leading the whole pack further, for the land was unfamiliar and dangerous. And, of course, we knew that humans were near.

The rest of the pack formed around us and waited for Conan's next move. His yellow eyes swept over the exhausted puppies and Dazzler's flank, still red from the lone wolf's attack. He glanced at me and I nodded.

"We'll stop here for a while," he said quietly.

The lone wolf crept around us and settled down in the shade of a tree. Collin's ears pricked. "Who's that?" he asked. "I don't recognize her."

"Collin," Conan barked, after I had answered. "I want you to go and hunt. We will need need some food if we are going to survive."

"Yes, Father." He padded into the forest.

The bright-eyed pup wandered over to the tiny Grey and batted at her tail. He playfully growled at her, but Grey only whimpered and tried to scoot away, casting her gaze towards the lone wolf.

"That pup needs a name," I said to Conan.

"Which one?" he asked, absently scratching his ear.

I raised an eyebrow. "The only one that doesn't have a name."

"Oh, right." He shrugged. "Do you have any ideas?"

Snowflake pricked her ears. "If you wouldn't mind a suggestion, I think that there should be something about fire in his name. He did, after all, just survive a massive wildfire."

"I like that," I said, my eyes skimming over the trees as I contemplated the puppy's name. "Fire... fire..." There had to be something about his eyes, too, I decided. Brightfire... Smartfire— no, definitely not that... Bluefire, with eyes as blue as the sky...

"Skyfire," I whispered aloud.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

53 Reviews

Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:16 am
View Likes
Cynder says...

~Snowflake~

I found the new temporary den, cozy, if not smelling of the wretched two-legged's. Conan and Heather were just naming the young pup. Of course, the ceremony would take place for her to actually be named such, but the idea was given.

"I think that fits very well to the pup, my alpha. A wonderful name." I spoke to Heather respectfully.

"Thank you, Snowflake. I shall retreat inside the den to go over matters with Conan. Please watch over everyone for me." She softly ended.

"Of course." I left the pair of them and went to find the lone wolf. I was going to make sure she wasn't getting into any trouble. I also have to find out if the fire has gone down some.. I padded along a small trail, finding the hub of our camp and most of it's occupants. I spotted the lone wolf by a tree. I gave a short howl to her, signaling her to follow me.

For a long while she merely jogged on behind me. Evidently, she got bored, as was to be expected.

"Where are we going? At this rate, I'm safer with the pack than alone with you."

"I would not dismiss me so, Kimeya." She stopped in her tracks. She seemed puzzled that I used her name. She did not speak. "Surprised? I'll ask you one question, and then you can be on your way back to the den." I paused, making sure I had her attention. "Being that I have the status in our camp, I feel I should give to you some of my wisdom. Now, here's my question: What are my markings, What is their meaning? Now, I suppose that's two questions, but the point is not for you to tell me the answer." Her puzzlement only seemed to deepen, but this time frustration crept across her features as a young pup's does when first learning.

"These questions are for you to answer yourself, and you are not to tell anyone of the questions I have asked. They are for you and you alone. Now go back to the den, pup." I turned my back to her and continued along my trail. I did not see whether she ran away or went back the direction we had come. Maybe she had not moved at all, I do not know.

I padded along silently, not a thought coursing through my brain. I found a big tree and sat up straight underneath it. I had to begin my rites.
Last edited by Cynder on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynder Rosetail Draak

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:54 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

~Collin~

I wander through the forest stopping here and there to sniff. The ground beneath my feet is dry, a sign that the fire probably spread quickly. Now that I think of it there has been very little rain in the past couple weeks and the creek has been lower than normal in a long time. Still there had to have been some humans involved to start the fire...

As the sun continues to move down in the sky I can't seem to find anything to kill and bring back to the pack. The smoke thickens the air and makes it harder to smell other things that I normally might. The innumerable rabbit holes don't seem to house any rabbits. Most likely the majority of them fled from the fire and have yet to return, but I need to find something quickly or else I will have to return to the pack empty handed. I don't want to do that.

I stop at the bottom of a ravine to take a couple of sips of a water course running down into the valley. I suddenly receive a flash of inspiration. I should climb up to the rim of the valley. If I can find a clear spot I will be able to spot most anything that moves, especially with the fire destroying almost all the trees.

I finish refreshing myself and set of at a slow trot. It always amazes me how much ground I can cover in a matter of hours. It also gives me an idea of how big the valley really is! Here and there I can snatch a glance or two of the desolation wreaked by the fire. It seems so sad!

Finally, after ten minutes of trekking up the now barren slope I reach the top and glance back at the valley below. It seems a good two thirds of it, at least, is barren, covered in ash and soot for the vile flaming fire.

I scan the valley for any signs of life. All I can see is desolation and destruction. No animals are in sight. For a second I catch movement, but then I realize it is the rest of the pack. I can also spot a few smaller animals but nothing I can go after. There are a few rabbits, but they are too hard to catch if you don't have them cornered in their holes. I sigh and take in one last view of the scenery before making my way back down toward the valley floor.

~~~

I trip on a stone and lose my footing, causing me to tumble down the hill. I stop rolling when my back slams into a large rock, no bolder. I feel myself slipping from consciousness as the blackness seeps in. No. That isn't from unconsciousness... I stand up and look at the cave in front of me. Just to make sure it isn't occupied, I sniff the air thoroughly. Nothing dangerous that I can smell.

I creep into the den with ears pricked and my nose poised. Slowly I feel my way along the walls. The cave seems to have a single tunnel leading back into the slope. It leads back into a large cavern with light streaming in through a hole or holes in the ceiling. This would make a perfect spot for a den!
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

53 Reviews

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:37 pm
View Likes
Cynder says...

~Cynder~

I stared at my markings. They were blood-red, and they were not faded anymore. I was no broken warrior-like reject anymore. No. Now I was stubborn, strong, and wise. The pups were no longer needed special treatment anymore. They had grown into quite well-behaved little youngsters. I also had become pack alpha, well that was a dream anyway. I had yet to find a sensible mate, of course. The markings tend to throw people off.

My muscles had matured even more than I thought possible, as I nearly schooled my pack mates every time they challenged me. Which, I'll admit, was entertaining, but I'm not that selfish of a wolf. In my dream, I gave Conan my old post as Beta. It was a fair exchange. That and Conan was too stiff to be battle ready in times of need. I still reminisce about the old days sometimes. Apparently, my dream takes place in the far away future.. premonition?

I was now on my way to the sacred tree again for the second time this week. It was tiring, but it needed to be done for the sake of the pack. I had to keep them safe. Especially if I was to have pups someday. Though I worry..

My padding feet reached the tree as usual. I didn't even realize I was there because my feet had been so skilled in stealth it's hard to tell when I'm moving and when I'm not. The tree was a big oak. It smelled wonderful, as per usual. I sat straight up like normal. My markings flashed red. They began to glow. Memories. The scars and markings were memories. How far back they go, I still do not know.

I began recalling my first battle, when I first met Conan in the old days. He was a determined little pup then. I believe he had told me a story long ago of how his father was very stern. He set his mind on giving a better life to pups that didn't have much of a chance. He made a strong warrior pack out of rejects. Heather was one I remember. She was beautiful, and she still is. I admire her to this day.

Conan found me on the battlefield. I recalled everything:

The humans kept me in a rotting cage of something silver and shiny. Something very unbreakable. We were travelling and they said something about an "albino wolf." I didn't know they were talking about me. Though it became obvious when the city walls came up ahead from the forest trail we were currently on. I realized I had been a pet, and I hated these humans for it. Something remarkable happened next.

The humans holding my cage dropped me to the ground. The lock holding me captive broke loose from the fall. I was free. I took a tentative step onto the cold, hard ground. the grass was a welcome change from the slippery silver cage. I padded out and looked at my condition for the first time. I was scrawny, my ribs showed easily.

I stepped forward once more and heard a howl. It was a war cry or a search cry. I knew the tune too many times from hearing other wolves try to escape from the humans at my previous camp. Not anymore. I was not going to be killed here. I jogged forward and completely out of the forest, looking upon the two hills that were between the city walls and the forest. The forest was always dark.. but here.. was sunshine.

A brilliant color of orange and a yellow so bright it was almost white. The grass of the hills was bright green as well. That was when I looked at the edge of the wall. Humans lined the wall, with other wolves at their sides. These wolves were not like my previous brethren. Their eyes were black-wild, but in complete control by the humans. I snarled at this idea. I had been captive until now as well.

The biggest of the wolves and his owner came to the ridge of the first hill. The owner let the wolf go and the black monster came striding quickly up to me. I could see the layers of muscle underneath his thick fur. He growled at me. I did not show anything back. He spoke angrily now.

"Who are you? Where are your friends and their humans?" He asked such an impossible question. Two questions actually. He obviously expected any answer. I'm not sure I can provide him one. The humans..

"The humans.. I do not know. The two that held me dropped my cage and.. I didn't see them after that. I suppose they ran."

"And the other wolf friends of yours?" His lips curled up into a snarl. I was not afraid of him, though I feel I should be. It was just that the humans were just so much worse.. and I didn't fear death.

"Friends? The only friend I ever made ran and never came back. The humans sent dogs after her and I presume she died. Why ask me these questions?" The wolf snarled, not liking my answer. He howled at his master and his human nodded. He got into a pounce position. I remembered my mother's words again..

"Howl at he who threatens you to death, when there is no escape, and I will come to your aid my child. I love you." I howled as she told me, loud and clear. The black wolf launched into the air and.. Blinding light. When my eyes adjusted he was not in the air anymore. He was at my feet, lying curled up awkwardly and non-breathing. I realized I had killed him. My mom had come, and she taught me how to kill.

A liquid dripped from my snout and I wiped it around on my leg. I heard a deafening howl, meaning all the other wolves were coming at me now. I charged them as they charged me and I fought.

Blackness for some time, and then I found a wolf leaning over me. He had a kindness to his eyes. He looked in my eyes, and I knew I would follow him then. He had come to take me from this place. The place where blood stained the ground and memories of my mom in the sky, god-like.. I tried to stand up, but my legs were too weak. The wolf leaned down and helped me up. A girl wolf smiled at his side.

I struggled to my feet.. and I was back in front of the oak sapling.

"Conan.." I muttered to myself. He had then told me his name. I owe him my life. I would've died alone if I had been left there. I heard a twig snap and my ears perked straight up. I sniffed the air without moving my muzzle.. and it was a friend. Kimeya. She smiled. I knew she understood my markings now.
Last edited by Cynder on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cynder Rosetail Draak

53 Reviews

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:50 am
View Likes
Cynder says...

~Cynder~

Kimeya had approached without my full attention and watched much of my ritual. She had the look on her face reading that she wanted to ask me some questions. She was respectful now, and knew not to ask without permission. I nodded at her, patting my tail on the grass patch to my side. She walked to my side and sat straight up as I do.

"Go ahead." I encourage her to ask me questions.

"So.. The markings are battle-related? I've only ever seen warriors of glorious packs come to trees such as this."

"More or less, I suppose. All manners of creatures seek the shelter of the trees. And yes, the markings are from battle. I am albino, a wolf born with weak skin and red eyes. I never met my father. Yet, as you can tell, my eyes are not red. They are brownish-black, like any other wolf. When I realized my markings were a part of me, my eyes became normal. When I fought, my markings became obvious and even glowed."

She thought about this for awhile. Her face was peaceful. She was innocent of the sins I had committed. We thought in silence, I about how she had become a welcome and valuable part of our pack. With me as a prominent figure, I had often tested her and evaluated her strengths and weaknesses. She had a ferocity, but tamable if I was there. She was determined, even more so than most of the growing male pups. She reminded me of myself, ironically. I had to rescue her as Conan did me.

Now our pack is strong. We have many adventures to share, and I look forward to them all.

"A black wolf?" I turned towards her. Her eyes were perceptive, something I had not noticed before.

"You.. saw?" She nodded. There was something unspoken between us, but we both understood. She knew my past, and she knew I rescued her because I was rescued too. She smiled in deeper gratitude. I smiled back.

"Well.. I suppose it is time to get back then? I have some pups to get energy out of. Come on, my Omega." Our litle joke of me being alpha was shared only between the two of us. We returned to the warm den, our home in the forest. We had fought to get here, and we will continue to fight to stay.

We made it back to the den just in time for daily training exercises.

"Now then.. Who wants to battle first?" Conan stood a few yards away, watching. I could swear he was smiling, even though the shadows from the forest hid his stoic face.
Last edited by Cynder on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cynder Rosetail Draak

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:26 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

~Skyefire~

A year had passed since the disaster that had given Skyefire his name had decimated the forest. It would have destroyed the pack as well, had they not relocated when they did; by some miracle, Collin had stumbled upon the perfect den farther north. At first, it had been strange adapting to living in a new place, but Skyefire had eventually come to regard it as home.

Unlike other caverns that were dark and dangerous, theirs was warm and wondrous – literally. It really was warm, as it was part of a rocky outcropping with no foliage covering it, which meant it enjoyed the sun’s heat during the day, and during the night, the heat still lingered. Some of Skyefire’s fondest memories were of huddling together with the rest of his pack, especially once winter had grabbed the land in its jaws.

Best of all, the game was plentiful beyond belief. The pack had always hunted to the south and east, but had they known of the hidden valley just seven miles north, they would never have had any trouble with food. Their den was also in a prime position to protect the valley from other packs, and if the need ever arose, they could defend their cave with ease, as the entrance sloped down at first, but then narrowed and ascended before sloping down into the vast cavern.

Skyefire sighed in contentment, but not too loud, lest he wake the rest of the pack. Other wolves would have had to rise long before dawn to hunt, but the Cinereal Pack could sleep in most of the times. So they did. Besides, the previous day’s hunt had been very successful (though it had not been without its difficulties), and nothing made a wolf more drowsy than a full belly. So, he would let his family sleep; he enjoyed seeing the sun’s rays filter through the holes in the ceiling better in silence anyway.

After a while though, his legs were numb, so Skyefire very softly rose and trotted over to one of the stone ridges in cavern. Sitting down on it in the confident manner his mother had thought him, he gazed upon the sleeping pack.

His father, Conan, lay closest to the ridge. His normally brilliant yellow eyes were closed, and while he could be fierce, he looked at peace. His fur was no longer jet-black, but rather a very dark grey – being eight tended to do that. His body tone, however, was as lean as always, since Conan had proclaimed to everyone that as long as he lived, he would not be some old, crippled dog. He went along on every hunt, still leading the pack, and though he was not as fast or strong as he once was, he was still formidable. Skyefire often wondered what his father had been like in his prime…

He also wondered if Conan’s father had been as firm as he was. Every day, he and Snowflake took Skyefire and Collin out to play-fight in the forest. They were relentless opponents, and they seemingly never tired. Collin usually lasted longer than Skyefire did, but then again, he did have a year and nine months over his younger brother. Still, the exercise was worth it, as Skyefire could feel his muscles becoming stronger, and each time he went out with his father, he could last just a little longer. And he wasn’t the only one who noticed.

His mother, Heather, frequently commented on his physique, saying he was “growing into a handsome young wolf.” Each time, Skyefire would feel his cheeks grow hot and ask his mother to stop, but each time, she would simply laugh and say it some other day again. He was certain she enjoyed the teasing, especially since she would do it in front of his sisters who would then giggle about it. Still, he loved his mother, and he would continue to love her evermore.

She was always so wise and kind, but she hid strength of will that surpassed even Conan’s. He was an excellent leader, but she was the support he needed to be one. She was also one of the most disciplined in the pack, perhaps beaten only by Snowflake in that aspect, but how she managed to endure her mate’s snoring was truly impressive. He had to sleep at least two feet away from everyone else in the pack, yet she was undisturbed. Amazing.

They did make for an odd pair though, Conan’s sable juxtaposed with Heather’s creamy white. They had no trace of red in them, which often confused Skyefire, for his foxy red fur had only intensified as he had matured. One of his sisters, Scarlet, had been as red as he currently was, hence her name, but for some reason, it had disappeared completely. She was no longer grey, red and white, but only grey and white. It was ironic, actually; her foxy red had perfectly indicated her mischievous nature, for she was forever scheming with her sisters, planning some new plot.

On the other hand, the last pup in his litter, Grey, was almost a complete contradiction of her sister. She had been the normal grey at birth, but her fur had become predominantly white with cream on her back, like their mother. Her personality, however, had not changed, and her excessively timid nature differentiated her from her siblings. Skyefire could never play with her as a pup, as she had always whimpered whenever he had pounced on her. She was afraid of her own shadow, it seemed. She was rather attached to Kimeya, which was definitely odd, considering she had been a lone wolf.

Kimeya was no longer alone, of course, as she had been fully accepted into the pack after Skyefire’s naming ceremony. Her creamy fur made her seem like she could be Heather’s sister – Dazzler and Grey definitely treated her like an aunt. She and Skyefire had never grown close though; he was grateful that she had saved his life, but she always seemed awkward when he approached her.

Kimeya lay away from the Alphas, as was to be expected, with the three sisters between her and them. Collin, the ever curious canine, lay as close to his father as he could without being bothered by the snoring, with Ogden lying next to him. Only Snowflake, whose name belied her fiery nature, lay far away from everyone else, close to the cavern’s entrance. Skyefire had always found her disconcerting. Sure, she cared for the pack, but there was something off about her… She wasn’t the kind of wolf he’d befriend, but he was nevertheless happy she was on [i]their[i] side.

He gazed at them for some time still, but once the sun clearly illuminated the cavern, he howled, the sound resonating against the yellow-brown stones. As one, each of the wolves sprang to their feet, their hackles raised and their fangs bared. Once they realised it was just Skyefire, they relaxed.

“Why did you have to do that?” Scarlet complained.

“Actually, he should have woken us sooner,” his mother replied, displaying her wickedly sharp teeth as she yawned. After laying forward to stretch her front legs, taking a step and pulling her rear legs behind her, stretching them as well, she continued, “We shouldn’t allow the sun to catch us asleep. What if a rival pack had discovered the den and wanted to fight us for it?”

“Speaking of rival packs,” Skyefire responded, jumping down from the ridge, “I’ll go scout the forest.”

“I’ll come with you,” Snowflake offered, rising to her feet.

“Err, that’s not necessary,” he quickly countered. “I shan’t be going too far. See you in a while!”

Skyefire dashed out of the cavern and out into the forest. Conan and Heather had appointed him Alpha after them, and if he was to lead the pack, he should be able to do something as trivial as scout the woods on his own.

Suddenly, he caught the scent of another wolf – a wolf not from his pack. His thoughts racing, Skyefire loped off in the direction whence the scent came.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04 pm
View Likes
Nightshade21 says...

~Ogden~
I woke up from a deep sleep stretching out my lean legs. The memories of the fire were distant now. In a year's time they found their new home, the pups grew into strong, wonderful young wolves.Then, a familiar how echoed nearby. If my acute hearing was correct the howl belonged to Skyfire. What could be wrong?. Concern washed over me like a frighten rabbit racing away from a much larger predator. My ears perked up listening to see if another howl followed. He's a strong wolf I thought trying to suppress the concern, perhaps I was just worrying over nothing.

Spoiler! :
Sorry for the Super short post didn't know what to write, all come back and edit it if need be.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:32 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Heather~

It had been a very chilly year, with frequent storms in the winter that blanketed the pine trees in snow. "Collin's Den," as Conan playfully named it, was perfect for our thriving pack. When we had first ventured inside, the only inhabitants were a colony of scrawny bats, but as they saw that our presence in the cave never abated, they soon found a better home elsewhere.

Time passed all too quickly. The pups were soon adults, with defining personalities and features. Skyefire had grown to be an exceedingly handsome wolf, and I told him so very often. For him to be an alpha, as I knew he would be when Conan and I had to retire, he would need as much confidence as he could get. And anyway, every compliment was true: his red fur, unique eyes, and intelligent complexion set him far above the rest.

Scarlett was the most mischievous of the litter, seeming to incessantly find ways to gather her sisters together in some lavish disturbance; I was aware, however, that she would soon grow into a clever wolf - for that she was - who used her abilities to the benefit of the pack and not her amusement. Her sister Grey was the one sister who usually tried to keep out of the naughty schemes, for if any sister was absent in the trickery and thefts, it was she. But because Grey always had problems saying no to her pressing sister unless Kimeya was present, she oftentimes found herself tangled within a troublesome plan.

Skyefire was not overly patient with his sisters, and absolutely refused to participate in any of their disturbances. For the one time he consented to participate, he was given the job of hauling Ogden's favorite gnawing bone away, which was, in fact, the climax of the plan. Instead of doing so, he turned the scheme around and stole Scarlett's precious eagle feather. He wasn't willing to give it up once he had it in his jaws, and for the feather's sake Scarlett didn't try to tear it back, but through Ogden's patient urgings it was returned. Scarlett never asked him for help again.

Snowflake, our trusty beta, was acting very oddly. Conan and I discussed the red markings that circled her body, and he seemed to know as much as I did about them. Or so I thought... One evening he suggested that the cause of them was magic, and the look in his eyes that I saw before he looked away was very strange. I planned to speak directly to Snowflake about it, but whenever I did she excused herself or changed the subject. It wasn't until much later when I learned her secrets.

It is odd to think that Kimeya was once a lone wolf, cast from her family and stumbling upon ours in the middle of winter. It surprises me when I recall the day she tackled Dazzler over a silly fox carcass. She has never been completely comfortable with the pack, as is to be expected, I suppose, but I am eternally indebted to her for the rescue of Skyefire. Of course, the pack wouldn't have left the cave in the first place if I hadn't seen her in our territory, but that was how fate played out.

Collin and Dazzler were faithful members of the pack, and I was very proud of them. They taught Skyefire all Conan had taught them, and Collin was an especially good big brother to the future alpha. I sensed a hint of jealousy in Dazzler, but that was only to be expected. In fact, I was surprised that Collin seemed so selfless. If he was jealous at all at his little brother's hierarchy, he was a professional at concealing it.

All in all, the pack was loyal and happy. The days lazily swept on with little spurts of excitement from the hunts and, in a way, from Scarlett's pranks. Life was peaceful and successful. That is, until one fateful morning. After that morning, the days were never quite the same.

By the time Skyefire had drawn out his entire howl, the whole pack was on their feet, greatly alarmed. My nerves were tingling and my tail was rigid with tension, but as I sensed no negative emotion in my son's amused stance, I gradually relaxed. Seeing the sunlight stream into the cave's opening, I stretched an yawned.

Skyefire proposed that he would like to scout the forest, on his own. A dozen alarms instinctively erupted in my brain, but before I could stop him, he had dashed out of the den.

Conan turned to me, and I saw my worried glance reflected in his telling eyes. I relaxed my face and nuzzled his shoulder. "He'll be fine. How can we expect him to be alpha if he can't be on his own for a little while?" He nodded, but his eyes told a different story.

Little did I know that that would be last time I studied his golden eyes for a long, long time.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

- Kimeya -

A year it's been. Over one full year since the day my life was thrown in a completely different direction. Since the fire raged the land, since I found Skyefire. Yet, I feel no relief. Nor any panic or anything really. It seems as if I've planted myself down stubbornly and refused to continue on the path of life, though the pack has sprinted to their limits.

Lazily opening one eye, I glaze around at the rest of the wolves in den jump to their paws, ready to fight at Skyefire's call. Maybe that's what has sparked these thoughts, even just the false alarm. Though, for me there's not much to reflect on. At least now my ribs don't jut out like sticks.

I also seem to have gained another tail, snatching a glance at Grey a couple fox-lengths away. Scarlett, the other mischievous pup, whispers something into her ear, probably plotting another trick to play on Odgen, the poor wolf responsible for keeping track of them all. It's like only being able to hold down one leaf at a time when you have six to watch.

Closing my eyes, I bury my nose in my paws once more to allow the glorious wave of sleep to crash down on me once again. Of course, everyone else has different plans. Soon, Grey is at my side, prodding my flank with her paw.

"Kimeya," she wimpers. "Kimeya? Are you awake?"

Grey, prod me one more time and we'll see if you still have that paw. "Yes, I'm awake."

With a cheery yip, she nudges me again with her nose. "Well, get up then! You're not going to sleep away the sun, are you?"

"Grey, why don't you go find Scarlett and have her play with you?" I mutter, barely lifting my snout from my paws.

Her ears flatten atop her head and her tail droops as she turns and sulks away. Mere seconds after her disappearance, another gaze bores into me, raising the fur on the back of my neck. Finally, I rise and turn, noticing Snowflake giving me a cold glare. Apparently sleeping the entire day isn't what's supposed to be on my list of things to accomplish.

Once our eyes meet, she turns and walks out into of the den, retreating into the woods. Sometimes I wonder how she isn't a lone wolf, oftentimes vanishing to who-knows-where and does who-knows-what. A temptation rises in me to follow her, but I decide against it. I definitely don't need Snowflake scolding me with her 'wisdom'. Just the way she talks down to me like I'm some kind of pup is infuriating.

Sweeping my gaze across the den, I notice Heather and Conan exchanging words towards the back of the den, while Odgen herds Scarlett and Grey, with Dazzler right by her side, leaving Skyefire and Collin out and about. Collin couldn't be too far off, though, seeing as today wouldn't be a day for a hunt.

Thinking about food soon sparked memories of the days as a lone wolf, constantly struggling to find my next meal. All of a sudden, spending the day alone doesn't seem that bad. It's been a while since I've been completely by myself on my own terms. Maybe it's a good break for me. Thus, I walk out from our sheltered den and sprint into the forest, following the paths familiar to me during the times I would wander then constantly.

Surprisingly, I encounter Collin. With his nose high up in the air, he seems to examine the site around the area, sniffing then taking a couple of steps. Though it's a rather odd display, his hackles still rise.

"What've you found?"

Spinning around, a loud growl rumbles in his throat, though it ceases the next moment. "Oh, Kimeya. I don't know. The scent is strange, something I've never encountered before."

I raise my nose to examine it as well. It comes off as a strong, musty odor, with a more threatening feel to it. While I cannot instantly recognize it, a familiar feeling of fear seemingly associated with the smell tears through my mind. Following it from the source, I carefully move foward, barely inching with every step.

Through the thicket that has grown stronger in these areas on the outskirts of the fire, I notice a large beast, noticing pink flesh as well. My heart stops for a best. Of course it would be humans.

"Collin," I growl, "Go warn the pack. Find Skyefire. It's not safe."
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:53 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

~Skyefire~

The other wolf’s scent was surprisingly easy to follow. You would think that if you were in another pack’s territory, you would try to be more careful. As he drew closer to the other wolf’s location, even the need for sniffing the ground was unnecessary, as he could smell the wolf in the clearing ahead.

Sure enough, when Skyefire trotted past the ring of foliage, there lay a female wolf in a patch of petite white flowers. The flowers were quaint and delicate, but the wolf they accommodated surpassed them in both grace and beauty.

Her fur was nothing odd, as she had no red or brown streaks, and her pelt was neither completely black nor completely white; she was predominantly white with a grey back, the grey fur seeming to flow down her sides, tail and face, becoming lighter all the while, until it faded into the white. She did not have any birthmarks or scars either, for a wolf as beautiful as she ought not to fight or hunt, but inspire. As such, her fur was not her defining feature – that honour went to her eyes.

Before he had seen her, Skyefire had thought grey the most uninteresting and lifeless of all colours, always needing a complement to be of any admiration. However, nothing alive could meet her gaze and still cling to such an absurd notion. It held none of the danger of thunderclouds, none of the blankness of stone, and none of the commonness of the hues and shades present in any other being’s colouring. No, her eyes radiated passion and warmth, wisdom and kindness. They were unrivalled in their magnificence.

They were the eyes of a wolf.

“Skyefire,” the wolf said, her tone expressing the pleasure speaking his name brought her. She tilted her head to the right, raised her rear legs so that only her neck and front legs were on the ground, and wriggled her body from side to side.

“Daphne,” Skyefire replied, sharing the other’s attitude. As he approached her, she rose to a level position in a single, graceful movement, her ears lying flat against her head and her tail hanging straight down. They nuzzled each other lovingly before taking a step backwards and admiring the other.

“If I were the poetic type,” Skyefire declared, “I would write an ode to your eyes.”

“And I to yours,” Daphne concurred. “Every moment I cannot see them is a moment I wish I could.”

Standing in the flowers with the golden rays of dawn shining upon her, she was an angelic spirit, sent down to bless the forest with her presence. How he loved her!

“Soon,” Skyefire reassured her. “Soon, we shall be together. Spring is halfway gone, and three full moons from now, on the night of the Summer Solstice, my pack will celebrate my litter’s second summer. When that time comes, I can finally introduce you to my parents.”

“That is twice as long as we have known each other,” Daphne responded dejectedly.

“I know, and I regret that I must ask you to remain patient for so long, but as soon as I am Alpha, the decision of allowing you to stay is mine to make. Besides, my parents would have expected me to find a mate anyway.”

Daphne touched her nose to his. “It will be an eternity, but if that is for how long I must endure your absence, so be it. No amount of time will keep us apart.”

“I am glad you understand. But that does not mean we cannot enjoy the time we do have together.”

Daphne agreed, so they went for a stroll, Skyefire flapping his bushy tail over his lover. The topic of their conversation remained the same throughout their meandering walk, and had anyone else been present, they would have been bored to insanity. Nevertheless, such is the nature of young love that every moment the one spends in their significant other’s company is pure bliss. Even when Skyefire and Daphne returned from their stroll, they lay down on the flowers together, not speaking, not moving, but simply savouring the joy the other brought them.

Eventually, Skyefire had to bid his lover farewell, but not before warning her to be more cautious of leaving her scent behind and nuzzling her one last time. When he left, they both fantasised what permanently being at the other’s side would be like. Unfortunately, there was one factor they had failed to take into account, and it was one that often resulted in disaster.

Humans.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller