The Cinereal Wolf Pack

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat May 17, 2014 8:17 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

CALLING ALL WOLF FANS!

Setting
The territory of the Cinereal Wolf Pack is nestled in Bow Valley, Canada. The time period will be determined as the story progresses and will most likely be revealed through human interaction. At the beginning of the story, summer is unveiling its sunny weather and displaying multitudes of healthy prey and predators. On the top of the food chain sits the wolves.

The Pack
In the valley, the Cinereal Wolves are prospering. The previous litter had been a letdown; only two pups survived their first year. However, the Alpha Female has had a new litter of puppies. Out of the five pups, one in particular has already been showing signs of intelligence. None of these pups have been named yet. The two year-old wolves of the remaining first litter have yet to establish their ranking. In addition to the offspring and Alpha parents, there is the powerful Beta Wolf and the single Omega, who currently serves as a baby-sitter for the puppies.

Outer Wolves
A young Timber Wolf from the outskirts of the valley has left her pack after losing a battle for supremacy with her sibling. She observes the Cinereal Pack for some time and considers joining. If you would like to be a different outer wolf that is/becomes related to the Cinereal Pack, PM me your idea.

Wolf Rankings
Alpha Wolves: One male and one female (Lupa) within a pack. The male is the leader and listens only to the Alpha Female for advice.
Beta Wolf: A respected adult wolf of high ranking. Known as the "soldier wolf."
Offspring: The puppies. In our pack, they range in age from three months to two years.
Omega Wolf: Not as gifted as their higher ranks. Should be very obedient to all other wolves. Sometimes bullied by the rest of the pack and given inferior tasks, but usually has a loving personality.
Lone Wolf: An individual wolf who relies on small prey to survive. Normally searches for a pack to join.

Rules
1) No bad language. Wolves don't curse.
2) Violence is okay, but it can't be overdone.
3) No other mature content. Keep it PG.
4) Have fun and follow all YWS rules.

Submitting Your Wolf Character
The following ranks will be in our story. Ranks in RED have already been chosen, and ranks in BLUE are characters that have already been created, but their owners have resigned:
Spoiler! :
1. Alpha Male~ Conan (The original owner of this character, Fade, has resigned. If you would like to take this character as your own, please let me know in the DT.)
2. Alpha Female~ Heather Wolfie36
3. Beta~ Snowflake Whitemane Cynder
4. Omega~ Ogden Nightshade21
5. 2-yr Offspring 1~ Dazzler kingofeli
6. 2-yr Offspring 2~ Collin r4p17
7. 3-mon Offspring 1 (Bright Eyes)~ Skyefire JamesHunt
8. 3-mon Offspring 2~ Scarlet Witchcraft96
9. 3-mon Offspring 3~ Grey Shiverfeather
10. Lone Wolf~ Kimeya Wolfare1

All original slots have been taken, but the character ownership of Conan (Alpha Male) can be assigned to anyone else who would like to take over that character.

Format for submitting your wolf character:
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b]
[b]Fur Color:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]

Including a picture is not required, but recommended.

When posting, please include your character's name at the top in bold.

Questions/Comments?
PM me or post a comment on the Discussion Topic!

DT:
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/view ... 0&t=100851

Have fun! :D
Last edited by Wolfi on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 29 times in total.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

440 Reviews

Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Let us begin!

~HEATHER~
I CONSIDER MYSELF an independent wolf. My favorite times are spent isolated from the pack, where only the statuesque pine trees can hear my footsteps.

On my solitary walks I ponder many things. That day, I was thinking about my newest litter of puppies. It was difficult to predict the future for each of the five three month-old pups, but I reflected upon it anyway. The biggest one could certainly grow to be a powerful hunter one day, and the light one of my coloration seemed good-natured. But there was one that seemed truly extraordinary to me-- the blue-eyed pup with the red fur. I could detect the intelligence shining through the pup's eyes. That pup should be named something special, something worthy of an Alpha.

As my brain skimmed through lists of proper names, an alien scent drifted towards me. I stopped in my tracks and lifted my head.

It was another wolf, up ahead. I knew immediately that this wolf wasn't from my pack. After a few more sniffs, I knew that the wolf shouldn't be trusted. The wolf was an intruder and a threat.

Without warning, I howled to the pack. I didn't want to face this enemy alone.
Last edited by Wolfi on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
and do not be afraid.

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:23 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

~Kimeya~
It's been almost months since I've known true comfort. Hunger constantly gnaws at my belly, and each freezing night I spend shivering alone in a bleak cave. At least I'm sheltered, I had always thought. Though that small spark of optimism wasn't nearly enough to spark any fire of happiness and bliss.

This was a morning of which I thought would be like any other. When the sun's light flittered into the mouth of the cave, I awoke like usual, hoping maybe today I would be full of warmth and be able to catch enough prey to feed myself. I struggled to pull myself to my paws and slowly padded out into the freezing air.

Wincing as a cold breeze rushed past me, I tried to smell the air for any scent or prey. My muscles ached from a chase the previous day, though I wasn't able to enjoy my meal in peace. I continued forward, forgetting that I wasn't the only wolf left. After a few minutes of trekking through snow and ice, I stumbled upon a fox den.

The scent of fox was still fresh, and I assumed that if I could lure the creature out, I could gain an easy meal. Another growl rippled through my stomach. Usually I wouldn't eat something as tough as a fox, but I didn't think I could go another day without something, so I began to dig.

After three great pawfulls of dirt, the attempt seemed in vain. Starvation had already begun to set in, and the struggle to keep on living felt pointless. Seconds later, a small back nose appeared from the crumbling den. Instinctively, I clawed at, and grabbed, the fox's face.

It screeched and flailed wildly, trying to deal any damage it could. During my skirmish with the fox, I didn't notice the sound of footsteps, merely yards away. Easily, I slammed the wriggling creature on the ground and broke its neck in a swift bite. Relief spread through me, and I took a bite of the warm meat.

Though a bit tough, it tasted wonderful to have something after days without prey. However, my bliss did not last long. A long howl was emitted from another wolf, probably some signal to a pack. A low growl rumbled in my throat. I would not give up my meal so easily this time, and I'd be willing to fight as many wolves as needed to defend it.
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:42 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

Dazzler

Dazzler pranced back and forth anxiously, waiting for the rest of the pack to form up. They had just heard a howl, most likely from Alpha Female, and that meant one of two things: there was danger and she needed help fending off the predator -Dazzler hoped it to be this, for she loved a good scrap- or it meant there was food to be chased and taken down. Either one Dazzler would enjoy, but she had wished for a long time to face another beast in combat.

The last time she had had an encounter it had ended in her nearly dying. She had run into a wolverine, and the wounds inflicted because of Dazzler's foolish offensive attack without thinking, had nearly cost her her life. If it had not been for Alpha Male, she would not be her. Ever since then the pack had kept an eye on Dazzler. No one seemed to trust her judgement anymore.

I'll show them. I've learned since then. I can do it.

The pack was now all formed, consisting of four other wolves, the Alpha Male, Conan, the Beta wolf, a fierce fighter named Snowflake Whitemane, and there was the Omega wolf Ogden, and the three-month old, Skyfire. The quickly set off through the cool spring morning air. The sun was just rising over the peaks of the pines, and the forest smelled of budding plants.

Here and there the occasional groundhog and chipmunk skipped by, bigger animals avoiding the wolves, and fresh dew covered the ground. Dazzler surged to the front of the pack, always wanting to get in on the action. They moved at a mile-eating lope, steady and maintainable.

The sun warmed Dazzler's whitish tan coat, and she enjoyed the feeling. She let out a contented low sigh. Then they crested the tree-covered hill and there was Heather, Alpha Female, sniffing the air. she turned to them as they pulled up.

"I've caught the scent of something Conan. I think it's a stray wolf. Shall we attack?"

Conan walked a few paces forward and tested the air. Then he turned to the pack.

"Yes."

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:03 am
View Likes
Cynder says...

~Snowflake~
I trotted over to the others of the pack relaxed, my face not contorted in any form of growl or attack snarl. Not yet; I know to save my strength for when it counts. Many were jealous of me, many frightened, and others, looking to prove themselves. However, if there was to be a battle,(which is not for sure in my mind,) will need focus, cunning, and strength. Though, I always had that attribute. Maybe it's because of my genes, I do not know. My heritage is spotty enough as it is. Now, time to focus, from now until the enemy is either vanquished, destroyed, ripped to shreds, or... something else. I knew that we needed more pack members, and if my instincts are correct, this battle may be short-lived. I studied the battle postures of the pack.
First, came the youngest ones. They are always a bit fierce, but easily timid in a flash. I seem to inspire a fear in the children. Still I ponder over how this could be possible. Maybe it is the wisdom. Speaking of wisdom, I should move on to the Alpha and mate. I dutifully walked up to the Alpha and waited for the chance to speak. As our leader turned towards me, I wasn't given the right to speak, but to listen. Conan ordered me as follows,
"Give the young ones a speech, something to bolster their confidence on the inside. My mate and I must attend to the strategy for battle. Quickly now, and come join us when you are done."
So I followed my orders and set to work. I did as I was told. Then the true work set in. The battle began.
For the plan, I led the fight. The young ones in tow, while the Conan paced in front, declaring dominance over our pack . We trekked through our territory for awhile, before my instincts caught a new scent. Wild with a fierce protection for the younger, and a strength of battle, I stopped the pack. Conan looked at me, he could tell I was on to something. Without warning, I pounced into the brush. Trembling beneath me a wolf, probably a lone wolf with no pack. No pack scent on her. I knew right then, the that alphas had a tough choice on his hands.
Cynder Rosetail Draak

"Be able to say: I am what I want to be."

440 Reviews

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

~Heather~
I saw an ivory flash out of the corner of my eye as Snowflake hurled herself into the bush. It all happened so quickly- a short scuffle, Conan's commanding bark, the beta's submission, and my first glimpse of the lone wolf.

She had a white belly and paws, but the fur on her back was a dark gray. She panted heavily and watched us with a fierce fire burning in her eyes. I noticed the way she held her tail; it was not tucked in between her legs like most wolves' would be. It remained rigid, but hovered in the air. She must not be accustomed to submission, I decided.

Conan fixed his golden eyes on the wolf. I was startled when she glared back and held his gaze. Conan shook his head. "Who are you?" he asked gruffly.

"Kimeya," she replied.

I glanced at Dazzler, who was wandering behind the bush. We all smelled the lone wolf's fox, but none except an inexperienced two-year-old like Dazzler would go after it.

I nudged Conan, glancing at the place where Dazzler had disappeared. The female lone wolf turned around, too. Her ears flattened against the back of her head when she heard the loud rustling of the leaves.

Dazzler's head popped out from the bushes, the ruddy fox carcass dangling from her mouth.
Last edited by Wolfi on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
and do not be afraid.

767 Reviews

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:44 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

~Kimeya~

Without hesitation, I lunged at the young wolf, snarling menacingly. She jumped back, dropping my prey. Slashing at her neck, I growled and forced the wolf back. I could've easily ripped out her throat then and there, but at a curt bark from the wolf I assumed was the Alpha, I whirled around.

The original white wolf hurled herself at me, and I hunched down to the grounds. Meeting the wolf head on, I raked my claws through her pelt, ignoring the wound she inflicted on my shoulder. A growl rumbling in my throat, I took a step back, desperate to defend the fox I had caught. The other wolf didn't let up, attempting to bowl me over by slashing at me again.

I wasn't able to hold back a howl of pain as teeth clamped around my back leg. Stomping my back paw on the growl, I turned back to the younger wolf, throwing her off. Relentlessly, I clawed at her, creating a large gash on her side. As I was about to finish her off, the wind was knocked out of me when the other wolf jumped on top of me, pinning me down.

"Alright!" I growled, "I'm done." My breathing was ragged and blood was all over the ground, but I still smirked, for my fox was mine once again. Hopefully, I had given both wolves a fight to remember.

"Snowflake, lead this wolf off our territory," the Alpha Male instructed, "And you, Kimeya, don't come back otherwise we won't be as merciful."

The wolf called Snowflake got off me, and ordered me to my feet. She glared at me as I picked up the fox. The younger wolf bounced away after the group as they disappeared back into he forest.

"You better not try anything," she growled, setting off in front me.

"Like I'm that stupid," I retort, "I've already got a limp." And I find it hard enough surviving without injuries, I add in my head.

For most of the walk, we went in silence, and I was surprised at the brisk pace she could walk at despite the injuries I gave her.

Once we reached the edge of the territory, she turned to me and threatened, "The only reason I didn't kill you was because my Alpha didn't tell me to."

"Big mistake on your part," I mutter under my breath as she walks away. Though I didn't follow, I had no intentions of leaving. Plopping down next to a tree, I ate my fox in peace and licked my wounds. The melting snow felt nice on my wounded leg. Weariness took its toll on me and after I finished tending to my needs, I curled up and fell asleep.

I wasn't sure how long it was until I woke, but by then the sun seemed to have barely moved in the sky. My muscles were stiff, especially my shoulder, but I still stood up and stretched. I was a little startled, wondering what woke me, by eventually I understood when the smell of smoke touched my nose.
Last edited by SpiritedWolfe on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[she/her]

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:39 pm
View Likes
Fade says...

Conan and the rest of the pack, besides Snowflake, were halfway to their dens when he stopped. He sniffed. The rest of the pact, noticing his behavior, imitated him. Conan noticed Heather's eyes shrink and her nostrils flare in fear.

"Pack! Quickly, gather 'round." The alpha male knew that this was no time for dillydallying. The puppies, Dazzler and Skyefire, looked at him with a curious gaze. The omega, Ogden, cautiously stepped forward.

"A-alpha, if I may- If my acute sense of smell is correct, there is a fire nearing us."
Conan replied with a curt nod. Gazing at his small pack, he puffed his chest out in a commandly way.

"My family, Ogden is correct. We must not go to our dens, as the fire is heading towards the mouths of them. We must travel quickly and determinedly. We shall split into pairs, to tread more strategically." Conan turned his head to his mate, Heather.

"Heather, you will travel with Snowflake once she returns, traveling west. I shall travel alone, in the north. Ogden, I trust you with the young pups. You are to head west. Be careful," he warned, "For the fire will spread quickly and may spread different directions. Be wary of not heading to far away.
"We will send howls every hour to ensure our safety. If anyone finds a possible area to camp, send a call immediately. Does everyone understand?"

The puppies had lost all interest in their father's speech, and glared when Heather interrupted their playfighting. Everyone else nodded, and gave the motions of submission to their pack leader. Heather turned towards the trees, as did Conan. The fire was spreading, and fast. The trees were topped with bright flames, dancing in the breeze.
With a nod from the alpha male, the wolves of the Cinereal pack departed, racing away from the burning forest. Heather waited, hoping for the Beta wolf to arrive.
Sectumsempra!

~Gallifrey Survivor~

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:43 pm
View Likes
AdmiralKat says...

~Ogden~
I am not very talented or physically fit but the pack always finds a place for everyone. I was declared an Omega wolf, when I was only 2 weeks old. They could tell I was destined for the task, with my scrawny legs and my weak mind. I performed tasks that no one else wanted to do. I currently take care of the pups and clean up the camp. The tasks that I have are not easy but, everything has to be done. Without me, without every part of the clan, things would fall apart. The pups are especially important since the Alphas have been counting on making this litter survive, so that we have our future leaders of the pack.

I stand up suddenly and hear the little pups screeching. They run around in circles chasing each others’ tails. Over in the corner, a rouge bright-eyed pup is playing with a ball of moss. He was the social outcast of the group. I walk over to him and glance over his shoulder.

“Why aren’t you playing with the rest of your kin?” I ask. “Is that ball of moss, really more interesting than your siblings?”

The pup looks at me with his sharp gleaming, dark blue eyes and then looking down back at his moss ball. He continues to mope around with it, pretending that I had not talked to or approached him. I sigh heavily and turn around to check on the other pups. As I do this, I look up at the sun and realize that it is midday and that it is time for the pup’s nap.

“All of you. Gather round. It’s time to sleep for a little bit. Okay?” A series of aws fill the den. “I’ve made you some nice cozy moss beds, that you can sleep happily in. Okay?”

Over time, the pups finally fall asleep. There was an extra patch of moss, clean moss. Oh how I longed for such fine moss. I always slept on moss that had extra bits and pieces of wood and rock. I decide to sit in the moss and to lie there a bit. Closing my eyes and…
Whale. Whale. Whale. What do we have here?
Some scurvy dog looking at my post, eh?

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:02 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

~Skyefire (has yet to be named)~

Yes! The omega, Ogden, was finally asleep! I slinked over to her and prodded her with my nose, just to be sure. I leapt back, but when I saw she was still sleeping soundly, I grinned. Now I can do whatever I want!

I sniffed around the cave which was our den for a few minutes, but there was nothing new, just the same old spiders. I wandered outside the den and tentatively approached the oak which Mom had said we are not allowed to go further than.

I sniffed the tree's bark - it smelled old and woody, just like all the other trees. I sat down in front of it and asked the tree, "Why am I not allowed to pass you, mister Oak?"

The tree did not answer, so it was either asleep, just like Ogden and my siblings, or it could not think of a reason. Mom had said that the forest only sleeps during winter, and since it was summer, that must mean the tree was giving me permission to leave! "Thanks, mister Oak!" I called and happily loped past him.

The ground behind the oak sloped downwards, so I slowed down a bit, but not soon enough. After rolling down the small hill, I realised that it made for good fun, so I ran back up and rolled down again. I repeated this a few more times before getting bored. I shook the dirt off and spotted a large, orange butterfly with black spots. Immediately, I chased after it.

The butterfly must have liked being chased because it flapped merrily on its way, just above my reach. After chasing it for a couple of minutes, I stopped, panting. I was sad to see the butterfly fly away, but I realised I was hungry. I looked around for any food, but there was none. I wandered around a bit, occasionally sniffing the ground, but mostly I called, "Food! Where are you?" until I came upon a small bush. It had bright black berries, but they smelled bad, so I moved on. I soon found another bush, this one with blue berries. I remembered Mom bringing us berries just like them, so I gobbled them up.

I yawned and decided that I had to go back to the den - wherever that was - and take my nap, when a very strange scent came upon me. It smelled like the trees, except it was more like that airy water or watery air that left your fur feeling wet - Mom had called it something beginning with an "m", but I could not remember. It was also heavy and overwhelming, like when Dad laid on me once. Dad had not done it on purpose though, so I supposed that whatever was making the scent couldn't help being heavy either.

Maybe it was a floating tree!

I no longer felt tired and immediately followed its scent.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

~Collin~

I wake up to feel the bright sun shining on my sleek grey fur. I yawn and stretch. Something seems wrong. I feel colder than normal for it being summer. Then a though strikes me. Where in the world is the new pup? He was curled up next to me last night when I fell asleep. I look around me and don't see him. Ogden is lying down curled up with her back touching the wall but the newborn pup is nowhere to be found.

"Yelp! Where is that rascal?" I ask alarm showing clearly in my tone of voice.

"What?" Ogden asks sharply her eyes flashing open in a flurry. Her snow colored fur sticks up and her spine is as rigid as the oak a few yards away from where I stand.

"I woke up this morning and I didn't see him," I reply. She stands up and shakes herself.

"If he has gone off exploring again I will let Heather give him a talking to when she returns. No I will give him a talking to myself and then let Heather talk to him. The little rascal! I can hardly even keep you and Dazzler under control, not to mention that young pup!"

"What are we to do about him then?" I ask inching closer to her in fear.

"I don't know." She says indecisively. "I can't just leave you here unprotected in the den. But I can't just leave the den with you in tow and let that stray wolf come and raid our den!"

"What's that smell?" I ask raising my head and sniffing the cool morning air

Ogden immediately tenses up. It is a rather sharp smell though it doesn't quite have a tart feeling about it. I can't seem to place where I have encountered it before. Ogden breaks the silence of the forest with a sharp bark that sends chills running up and down my spine

"What is tha—" I begin to say but she cuts me off in mid sentence with a sharp command.

"Run!" She yells. I hesitate and then bound after her with the energy of young pups.

As I look backward I see a grey vapor like substance rising above the cover of the trees. Then I remember what it is. Smoke! I now understand Ogden's sense of urgency and obtain a burst of energy. With it I sprint past the oak a few feet away from the edge to the den up to an anxious Ogden ripping up the ground of the Bow Valley not caring if our den is caught by the fire or not. All that matters now is survival.

We continue our mad dash toward a small stream flowing down the side of the valley. We are over on the opposite bank in a heartbeat. After that we slow or pace and begin making a wide circuit around the fire to rejoin the rest of the pack.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

440 Reviews

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:13 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

~Heather~

As we picked our way through the forest and back to our den, I had plenty of time to worry over Dazzler's wounds. She was bright and happy as usual, but her frequent pauses to lick her side did not escape my notice. I slowed my strides so that I could walk abreast with her.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

She nodded. "I'm just a little scratched up, that's all."

I leaned over to lick her ear. "You've always been so brave," I said.

"Yeah, but stealing that fox wasn't the smartest thing to do."

I was about to reply when Conan stopped in his tracks. "Do you smell that?" he asked me, his voice layered in worry.

I lifted my head and sniffed the air.

Fire.

That one scent unearthed a memory from my early puppyhood, a painful time in my life that I had completely buried long ago. The memories had been too hard to hold onto. I thought that I had released it long ago, down a swift river, never to be seen again. But here it was again, fresh, frightening, and all too real.

It was my first winter. The world was white and cold. It was only warm when I was surrounded by my litter mates and cuddling with my mother in the den. But being outside was miserable. The wind ruffled my thin fur and blew in my sensitive ears. My paws got cold and wet. I couldn't see anything but white, and my mother's dark gray fur, if she was close by. I wanted to go back inside as soon as we were away from the den's protective blanket of warmth.

One winter day, the end a terrible storm was brewing outside. My brothers and sister and I huddled close to one another and to my mother's thick fur. We all started to drift off into our own little worlds of sleep, but were quickly awakened when our mother tensed suddenly and sat up. We whimpered as she tentatively crept out of the den and into the white world of snow.

My only sister was quick to follow her. We were all startled when our mother turned her head and growled at her. My sister rolled back into the den and cowered with us as our mother left us, alone.

It was not long until a distasteful scent met our noses. I know now that it is fire, but then, it was only another curious scent. I remember warily sticking my head out the den's entrance and watching. I didn't see my mother, but I did see smoke, swirling through the whiteness and spreading as it rose higher into the air.

Then I saw my mother. She was sprinting across the front of the den. I was joyful at first, but that feeling was short-lived.

There was a sudden, deafening explosion. It was abrupt but seemed to echo through the land everlastingly. I can still hear it today, when I close my eyes and prick my ears forward.

I retreated into the den for only a moment before sneaking upward again. What I saw in that moment would resonate in my memory for my entire lifetime, along with the terrible discharge that echoes in my eardrums.

A towering black figure strode from the whiteness and stopped in front of my mother, who was lying on her side, a few yards from me. The most remarkable thing was that this figure walked on two legs, and its front paws were gripping a stick in front of its chest.

I came to know this creature as man.

I remember smelling the fire smoke again, from where the man had come from. He didn't notice me, but he saw the wolf that lay at his feet, unmoving.

My mother was dead. The man had killed her with the stick he was holding.

"Heather!"

Conan's yellow eyes were looking into mine. One ear was tilted back as he watched me, concerned.

I stared at him blankly. Then the overpowering scent wafted under my nose again, and I remembered what was happening. "Conan!" I whispered. "Man! Man is here!"

He looked startled. "What do you mean?"

"When there's a fire, there's a man."

"Is that what it is? Fire?" He sniffed the stuffy air again.

That day I saw the man, there had been a little smoke and a little fire. But right then, the scent was overpowering. The more fire, I reasoned, the more men.

All I could think about was the den, where Ogden, Collin, and the puppies were waiting for us. "The puppies, Conan! They'll hurt the puppies!" I thought of the little bright-eyed pup, and a fresh wave of terror swept through me.

Just then, Snowflake arrived. "It's a fire!" she exclaimed. "We need to gather the rest of the pack!"

I didn't wait for Conan's consent. I leaped forward, racing for the den.
and do not be afraid.

767 Reviews

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:16 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

~Kimeya~

My first instinct was to press down lower to the ground, cower and hide. Though, I knew that with smoke came fire, and that fire was a hungry beast, always prowling and looking for another creature to swallow up. All the stories of fire and Man that the elders of my old pack told came flooding back to me. Suddenly, I wasn't so inclined to just sit and wait for it to come. The only way was to run.

After wasting precious time spinning in circles, I was finally able to tell the fire was behind me, but that also meant I had to run deeper into the pack's territory. Oh, well. They would probably be too worried about their own survival to do anything about me. The pain from my wounded shoulder made it feel like it was being clawed at all over again, but I was forced to ignore it and sprint back in the direction I was lead away from just that morning.

Soon I realized that going in that direction was a big mistake. Once a flaming branch had nearly brunt off my fur, but still succeeded in scaring me out of it, it dawned on me that I was heading into the heart of the fire, rather than going out f it. Or maybe it had already surrounded me in the beginning. No matter, it seemed that I was trapped, but I refused to give up. Changing my direction, I pressed on, hoping that I'd be able to make it out alive.

The original sprint I had had become a slow jog, then turning into a brisk walk. Smoke surrounded me, blocking my vision of father distances and making closer objects look hazy. I definitely determined the fire in the wrong place. Death could have been behind the next tree I passed.

Not much more time went by until I noticed a faint whimpering. Ahead of me, I could barely make out a silhouette of a tiny wolf. No, not a tiny wolf. A pup! What was a pup doing out here in this inferno?

With newfound energy, I ran over to it, hoping that it was still alive. It had done what I had wanted to do earlier, huddling close to the ground. Ash stained spots in its russet fur coat, making it appear ragged. When I approached the pup, I thought I could see its dark blue eyes light up, but it soon returned to whimpering. I must not have been who it thought I was.

My first approach was trying to be gentle, allow me to earn the pup's trust. Though I wasn't positive, I assumed he was male from his lack of submission. Even that was strange for a pup. As I was about to just give up and leave, a crack sounded above me, and before I knew what was going on, I grabbed the pup by the scruff and bounced out of the way. Where we had just been was a burning branch. The pup laid limp in my jaws, but his slight shivering told me that he was still alive, and probably knew what had just happened.

Shocked, I just stood there for a moment, staring at the burning branch until I realized it could happen again. Pressing forward, I was more determined to make it out, now with a pup's life at stake. My thoughts wander back to whose pup this could be. Who would just leave him to die in the forest? The ash coating his pelt made it impossible to make out a scent, not that I would be able to with all the smoke around.

"What are you doing back here?" a voice growled from behind me. I turned instantly, hoping its not who I thought it was. It was Snowflake. Exactly who I needed to show up now.

When she saw the pup in my jaws, another growl rumbled in her throat, "Why do you have him?"

"Who? This pup?" I snarled, though it was muffled, "I only found him in the fire. Almost had a flaming branch fall on him." The pup squirmed again, probably wanting to go to Snowflake. Oh. So this pup was part of their pack was he? Then I could probably use him in some way.

For a moment, we both stood in front of each other, giving one another cold glares. The only reason we moved was probably because the crackle of flames grew louder, and if we hadn't, all three of us would have died.

"Fine, follow me," she grumbled, "But if so much as a drop of blood comes from him, I will rip your throat out and throw your body into the flames." With that, she whirled around and ran off from the way she came. Instantly, I ran after her, already feeling the smoke filling my lungs and knowing I probably couldn't hold out much longer.

[she/her]

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 pm
View Likes
Witchcraft96 says...

~Scarlet~

After the wolfs were trying to escape the fire, Scarlet was with ogden helping the others try to run without getting burned! Scarlet was scared for others and she was really shy to meet the pups because this was going to be a new adventure for her. Scarlet would always stay by ogdens side because she was worried if she would get lost and never be found again! She always love being courageous and wild on her own time!

As scarlet was by Ogden's side with all of the other pups and escaping the fire , she has no choice to but be patience with herself and just go with the flow! As they were walking around and helping each other out! Soon scarlet got a worried thought and maybe something bad was going to happen.

Scarlet was glad that she had someone that would take good care of her and always be there when she needed Ogden to keep her safe with all of the other pups! Scarlet didn't know what was going to happen next because since the fire was scaring everyone and she just wanted to be somewhere safe and couldn't handle this craziness that was going on!

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:20 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

~Skyefire (has yet to be named)~

Where was that floating tree? I had been running for as long as my little legs could carry me, but eventually, I had to stop. Panting, I looked around: the big-bright-eye was still high in the sky, but it was already getting dark - how was I supposed to find that floating tree if the heavy-black-air which was swirling around me would not go away?

The heavy-black-air tasted like trees, but it was hot and made me cough. It also made little water droplets come from my eyes, which caused them to itch badly. It smelled like the floating tree, but it was a bad kind of air. Surely, that wasn't what I had smelled earlier? I continued my search.

Soon, the heavy-black-air was all around me and I could see even less. I was about to turn back, when I spotted something faint and orange thirty trees away. I could hear it roar and siss, and the sounds scared me; I would have turned away, since Mom had said never to approach something which seemed dangerous, but she had also said that I was to be an Al-funny-thing someday, and that they were brave and defended the pack from danger. Mom had also said that Al-funny-things put their pack's safety above their own, so if I was to be one, should I do the same? And maybe the bright-orange-beast was hurt and simply sounded dangerous...

I cautiously approached the bright-orange-beast, but it seemed to notice me anyway and loped towards me. It quickly surrounded me, since it was very fast and very large. It kept swaying backwards and forwards and sideways, as if it was excited. I suddenly had an idea!

I bent forwards and splayed my legs open in a "v" shape, inviting the bright-orange-beast to play. It continued to sway and made a loud cracking noise. I leaped towards one of its sides, but when I wanted to bat it with my paw, tagging it, it bit me! I yelped and leapt backwards. Looking at my paw pads, I saw that they had changed a strange brown colour, but worst of all, they stung, like that time when I had stepped on a sharp rock, except the stinging didn't go away.

The bright-orange-beast didn't seem that friendly anymore, so I told it, "You are nasty and mean, Mister Orange, and I shan't play with you anymore."

I turned away and walked towards an opening in the bright-orange-beast's body, but it snarled and rushed towards me. I whimpered and backed up against a tree.

"I'm sorry, Mister Orange!" I called. "I didn't mean to be rude. Please, let me go, and I shan't bother you again!"

The bright-orange-beast laughed at me, which was not at all nice, and rushed towards me again. Genuinely afraid, I ran away from it, but it was everywhere and taunted me with its swaying. I ran to the centre of a spot where it had not yet gone, and lay down in the middle, whimpering more than ever.

"Mom!" I called. "Dad! Ogden!"

Nobody came, and the heavy-black-air was overwhelming me like Dad had once (except the heavy-black-air was a friend of the bright-orange-beast and sat on me on purpose) and made me cough more than ever. I scanned the trees for anyone, but I saw only the bad Mister Orange and the black stuff he left behind. He seemed to be hurting the trees and eating them, so I assumed the black stuff was the trees' bones which the bright-orange-beast had chewed into a powder and then spat out. Mom had taught me it was not nice to spit your food out after eating it, since that meant you were ungrateful and that it was bad manners.

I continued to look for somebody - anybody - from my pack, but no one came. Then, there she was! My Mom! I hopefully looked at the wolf, but no, it was not my mom. Instead, it was a greyish white wolf - a stranger. Mom had said not to talk to strange wolves.

Despite that, the wolf ran towards me, picked me up by the scruff of my neck, and loped off. I looked back and saw the bright-orange-beast rip off a tree's branch and throw it where I had just been.

"You meany!" I called at Mister Orange, but that made him angrier, and he charged after me and the stranger.

The stranger ran even faster, but Mister Orange kept pace. Suddenly, the strict white wolf from my pack appeared in front of me - Flowsnake the better, I think she called herself. She had obviously never listened when her mom had told her not to call yourself better than others, since it was rude and bad manners. Flowsnake said something, and Grey-Stranger spun around to look at her, almost dropping me, but holding on.

Flowsnake and Grey-Stranger said some more things - not very friendly things, judging by their tones - but I didn't listen exactly what, since Mom had said that pups shouldn't eavesdrop on the adults' conversations. I squirmed, hoping that Grey-Stranger would release me; the way she carried me made me uncomfortable, unlike how Mom did it. Flowsnake and Grey-Stranger spoke some more, but soon we were running again. Grey-Stranger was following Flowsnake now.

Did that mean I would see Mom soon?
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka