745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat May 10, 2014 12:26 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Our World
(Our Map (updated))
Anglanar, a nation of rolling hills and fertile farmland. This small country provides the continent of Celesta with a majority of its natural produce. Under the rule of the Halloran monarchy, Anglanar has seen centuries of peace and prosperity, content with their rural nature. Despite these centuries of peace, rumors of turmoil have begun reaching Anglanar’s shores: a possible civil war within the neighboring nation of Terranore.

Terranore, built on the religion of the three graceful goddesses: Rosa, Shina, and Eterna, is a nation created in the image of Heaven. This nation is ruled by the theocratic fountainhead, Archbishop Azazel. The capital city, Vidacon, towers over the roaming foothills of the Shina Mountains and the Eternal Woods. From the pinnacle of this city, which houses a third of Terranore’s population, one is capable of seeing The Three Sanctums built across the country to honor the goddesses. Long ago, brilliant fountains of light billowed from the top of each sanctum and gave the nation a pulse of incomprehensible power. From this power evolved the Four Supreme Arts: Alchemy, Pyrology, Hydrology, and Astronomy. Recently, civil war has broken out in Terranore, threatening their national peace. Having a sloppy military, border skirmishes have taken their toll on border nations, including Anglanar.

From an outside perspective, Archbishop Azazel and his Holy Military seem to be the Righteous Faction, with the opposition, The Nationalist Artist Party taking the role as Villains That Must Be Squished. Until now, this war did not concern you, a citizen of Anglanar. More information will be given when necessary.

The Four Supreme Arts
Alchemy, the control and study of the earth and its minerals. Through the study of Alchemy, the birth of Chemistry has come about in Anglanar. While Alchemists have historically sought after the power to transmute any mineral into gold, its spiritual successor, Chemistry, has told humanity much about the world and how humans came to be. Alchemy is a predominantly physical magic that relies on personal strength and stamina as well as a thriving knowledge of the chemical components of matter.

Pyrology, the control and study of flame and heat. Pyrology is the most notorious Artform, held with respect and fear of its destructive power. A Pyrologen, one who is aligned with the grand flux of the sun must be aware of its purely destructive nature; for once a creation has been burned apart, what may make it whole again? Pyrology relies on intellect and strength.

Hydrology, the control and study of water and ice. Hydrology holds its own in the Four Supreme Arts as The Art of Healing and Soothing. Though disrespected by masters of sheer combat, Hydrology is beloved by its scholars for being the most beautiful and serene of the arts. Hydrology relies on intellect and agility.

Astronomy, the control and study of air and space. Of all the Supreme Arts, Astronomy has come the farthest in scientific endeavor. While the other arts may be more tangible to human hands, Astronomy has led to the mapping of years and the study of the cosmic beings. In a combat sense, Astronomy veers closer to the study of things arcane in nature. Astronomers are proficient at keeping their enemies at bay while striking them with the might of the heavens. Astronomers rely on intellect.

Weapons & Armor
Alchemists wear leather, mail, and plate armor. They may equip Fist Weapons (2), Daggers (2), Swords (2), Shields (off-hand), or Greatswords (1).
Pyrologens wear leather armor. They may equip Daggers (2), Swords (2), Staves (1), Axes (1), or Whips (1).
Hydrologists wear cloth or leather armor. They may equip Daggers (2), Focuses (off-hand), or Staves (1).
Astronomers wear cloth armor. They may equip a Scepter (1 hand) with a Focus (off-hand), a Staff (1), or Whip (1), as well as carry a tome.

The Plot

Part One: A Royal Summons
You are a citizen of Anglanar, and you have been summoned to the capital city of Celtincrown for an audience with The Queen. You are a student of one of the Four Supreme Arts. Our story begins in The Morning Vale where David, his sister, and his best friend receive their summons. If you are not one of these three, you can choose your starting point anywhere in the country of Anglanar, or wait for the first three in the capital for the plot to begin.

Cast
1. David - Alchemist [played by @Lumi]
2. Fiona - Hydrologist [played by @Nutty]
3. Brutus - Pyrologen [played by @SuperNintendo]
4. - Astronomer [played by @Leahweird]
5. Kazran - Alchemist [played by @VampireSenshi512]
6. Judith - Hydrologist [played by @Leahweird]
7. Hell - Pyrologen [played by @Shadowlight]
8. Bryan - Astronomer [played by @Aquestioning]
9. Kat - Hydrologist [played by @Iggy]

The Opposition
1. Alexander (Swordsman & Leader) [played by @SuperNintendo]
2. Princess Cathrynne - Astronomer [played by @Shadowlight]
3. Cassius (Demolitions Expert & Tactician) [played by @Lumi]
4. Marla (Martial Combatant & Staff User) [played by @Insomnia]

Profiles
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Supreme Art:[/b]
[b]Weapon of Choice:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Brief Personality:[/b]

Notable NPCs
Spoiler! :
Queen Mary Halloran is the widowed ruler of Anglanar and mother to Princess Cathrynne. Nearing her middle ages, Queen Mary has recently met political opposition in The Senate, where voices of farmers on the border of Terranore have come under crossfire between the two opposing factions in the neighboring country. The Senate demands that Anglanar intervene, while Queen Mary seems rather sedate about the ordeal. One Terranoran Extremist Faction, however, is about to change her mind.
Mayor Quimby is the ruler of The Morning Vale. Laid back and typically a one-with-nature type, he relies on guidance from The Elder Tree when taking courses of action.
Shipmaster Barton is the ruler of Crown’s Harbor, south of Celtincrown. A veteran of the Royal Navy, Barton is always one to take action and ask questions later.
Trademaster Norman is the rugged leader of Norcaster, a border village founded on the river separating Anglanar and Terranore. Many of his citizens have found themselves bankrupt due to the border battles erupting all along the Northland River.
Last edited by Lumi on Tue May 20, 2014 2:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 11, 2014 2:49 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

The Year 860

I’m certain of only a few things after studying the history of Celesta and how our culture was founded and shaped, and even reshaped in the grand scheme of things. Firstly, I know that even though we tell one another that we live in times of peace, there is conflict somewhere in the world. I believe that this is a necessity for us humans--not because we’re naturally violent creatures, but because hardship and the journey through it all makes us stronger as a whole. As long as there is conflict in the world, we can look over our shoulders into history and find the patterns, see how the patchwork loosens after years of such tight struggle, and be certain that whatever our problems are in this life, they are nothing but wrinkles in the hemmed cloak that is time.

Secondly, I believe that we are capable of such incredible, unbelievable things! Any scholar who can examine the technological advancements that have taken place in the last thirty years will tell you that our minds are boundless, infinitely powerful engines of creation, and the brilliance that we piece together, one at a time, outshines even the brightest stars in the sky. When I was a child, I thought that my life was worth very little, that I was so insignificant because the world around me was so incredible; but just the opposite was true. See, I may not be a mighty warrior like my father, or a noble martyr like my uncle, but as a child I learned that together, humans are capable of shaping the future of our entire planet. All of this is not to say that mankind is all-powerful, or that humility should be shrugged off, but it’s to give you a sort of metric with which you can measure this story. This is the historical account of how my mother and her friends changed the entire world...

The Year 830

David

“I swear, Bart, it’s like you’re years behind me!” David pulled tightly on the reigns of his horse and leaned forward, a snide grin on his face, hair blowing far behind him in the steady wind. Behind him, with dark curls sputtering about on his face, Bart stayed keen on his horse’s tail. His steed let out a whinny and picked up speed, bringing David’s friend up equal to his level. David laughed as Bart saluted him with two fingers, but when he turned his head back forward to the trail, his eyes widened as a low-hanging tree branch smacked him square in the face, sending him flying off his stallion. David hit the dirt with a loud thump and grunted. His friend dismounted and jogged to David’s crop of dirt, hands mounted proudly on his hips.

“It’s not every day I get to see The City’s Alchemist bested by the dirt itself!” Bart clutched his stomach, laughing. “Get it?! Because you’re a dirt guy!”

David tried so hard not to respond in laughter, but his funny bone betrayed him. His eyes squinted as he chuckled. “You got me, alright...I guess you could say I’m down for the count.”

Bart dropped to his butt and crossed his legs, meditation-style, resting his cheek on a fist. “We haven’t wrestled for a count since we were boys!” Bart smirked and scooped a handful of loose soil over David’s tunic, dropping it slowly onto his chest.

David’s face suddenly became very serious. “Then wouldn’t you say...it’s time we started again?!” The alchemist lunged at his friend with a hearty laugh. They tumbled down a small slope over and under one another, each man vying for control. At the bottom of the hill, they reached a stalemate in a patch of thorn bushes.

“Not fair!” teased Bart. “You’re probably using alchemy to prick me!”

David rolled away, sitting up on his haunches. He shook his head, though. “Nah, I couldn’t grow plants with my alchemy if my life depended on it.” He shrugged. “I guess I’m stuck with dirt!” He swept a hand through the air, tossing a puff of sand into Bart’s face. Then he ran. “Last one to my place butchers dinner!”

Bart cringed. “Hell no! I did it last night!” He stumbled through the bryars, wiping his face clean as he sprinted to catch up with David. Once he reached the crest of the hill that marked the halfway point to David’s house, he stopped alongside his buddy. “What’re you lookin’ at?”

David pointed at the small creek that ran by his family’s cottage and garden, where several women their age were gathered. Two of them were bathing their infant children; the third, though, was curled up by herself, reading in the shade. “Isn’t she beautiful?” David asked, not wanting a response. He let out a sigh and leaned against Bart’s shoulder. “One day, I’m going to ask her to marry me, and she’ll be the most spoiled girl this side of Celtincrown.”

“You’re probably right about both of those things,” Bart admitted, “but everyone in town says Jennah doesn’t want to get married.” He shrugged at David, who made a displeased face. “My mom says it’s because she can’t have children.”

David sneered. “That’s gossip! Even if she can’t have children, she’s still the most beautiful woman in the village--” David paused, a thought booming in his head. “What if I could find a healer?!” He grinned at Bart, eyes wild. “You and me, we’ll travel to Terranore, and we’ll find a healer who can make her happy again!”

Bart watched on as the two mothers filed away from the creek, leaving Jennah alone with her book. He scratched at the stubble on his chin and measured a response. “I dunno, David. I mean, really? Even someone with your salary probably couldn’t afford to bring a healer all the way here. You’re better off just waiting for love to come from somewhere else.”

“And who made Brutus such a love expert all of a sudden?” Bart jumped at the small voice. David just turned.

“Hey, sis.” David couldn’t help but smile around her. Between Bart and Fiona, times were sure to be good, no matter what.

Bart puffed out his chest. “I’ll have you know that I am a proud Pyrologen! Fire and passion are my specialties!”

Fiona poked a teasing finger into his chest, making him withdraw sheepishly. “I see. If that’s the case, then why are you still one of the Vale’s most eligible bachelors?”

Bart shrugged. “Maybe fate has me waiting.”

Fiona giggled and tucked away the laundry she’d been folding into a basket. “Regardless, you two are never going to be good husbands if all you do is stand around on the hillside all day.” She wasn’t being critical--in fact, she kind of sang the words. It was her way.

“Fee, what can you tell me about why Jennah’s always alone?”

Fiona whistled. “Jennah’s a piece of work, David. I hear she only likes men who have been Knighted.”

Bart and David looked incredulous. ”Knighted?!” They yelled in unison. Jennah looked up from her book, and David waved the way a schoolboy would at his first crush. Fiona pulled his hand down, though.

“Really, David, you’re better off waiting for a woman to fall right out of the sky!”

His gaze was off somewhere distant. “Stranger things...have happened, I guess.”
-Shinji Moon

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun May 11, 2014 3:42 am
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

Helios/Capitol City Hospital aka house of healing:

"I heard he just went crazy! Just suddenly started attacking people in the bar!"

"Really? You've got to be Joking!"

"No I'm not, seriously. Braxton said so. He's the one who was on shift earlier, apparently this guy was absolutely raving."

Helios slowly was becoming aware of things around him, the thick fog that had encircled his mind slowly burning away leaving, what? One couldn't call it clarity as his mind was anything but clear. He could hear the two women talking somewhere near him, but couldn't quite pinpoint them.... who were they? Why were they hear in his bedroom? a third voice joined in, another woman's voice- Helios didn't like it, it sounded too much like his own mother when she was scolding.

"Rebeca, Judith, you have work to do- both of you stop chatting. Judith- sit with him, he's unstable. Let me know if he wakes and starts getting agitated."

"Yes Ma'am...Um Ma'am?"

"Yes?" Helios noted the hesitation in the others voice, he wondered why she was nervous... I mean old biddies were annoying but rarely truly dangerous.

"Who IS he?"
she doesn't know who I am? he thought trying to pull himself from oblivion.

"Helios Moray. He's a Pyrologen. One of the Queens Most gifted... Or he was,"

"What happened?" the younger voice asked she was closer now- Helios felt her hands on his chest- was she... tucking him in?

"I'm not really sure the reason, but... apparently on his latest mission something bad happened and he burned out. Emotionally, Physically, his powers are almost gone, he's gone from master to novice overnight."

"Oh goodness..."

"Please sit with him Judith and call me if his condition changes."

Helios could hear footsteps retreating, he struggled to open his eyes, he was beginning to feel he might be drugged on top of a hangover.

Spoiler! :
I know we are all starting level 1. but to make his back-story work an some plot I talked with Lumi about Helios was a higher level but had a melt down and lost all his abilities so he's back at square one.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sun May 11, 2014 4:59 am
View Likes
Leahweird says...

Judith/Celtincrown Hospice:

Watching him was easy, so long as he was asleep. She was a bit more concerned about whether she'd be able to handle it when he finally woke up. From what Rebecca said he could be pretty frightening. Then again, if his powers were really gone and he remained chained to the bed, there wasn't much he could do.

She was able to put her worries aside by concentrating on that. To the point that she got distracted again and nearly missed it when he finally did stir.

"Well Good morning Sunshine, where did you come from?" he said groggily, making her jump.

"Um. You were brought in. I was just set to watching you."

"Oh were you now?" He mumbled blinking owlishly, "And where is /here/?"

That she could answer without so much hemming and hawing. "A temple of Juniper. A hospice. To be healed I suppose."

" Oh Hells teeth.. is this an intervention? Are you priestesses taking in alcoholics now? Great! So much for my reason to live." He grinned weakly, trying to sit up, then struggled slightly. "What the hell?"

"We do occasionally take in people who have had to much to drink, or are sick from all the booze," She answered, frowning. "But I think in your case its more for having a psychotic break. Hence the restraints."

"Ah," He said flatly- pulling against the cuffs, "Sweetheart if you wanted to get me into a bed all you had to do was ask," He grinned wickedly- striking eyes slowly going over her body in a less then chaste way.

Her cheeks heated at the attention as much as his completely inappropriate suggestion.

"I mean I love getting creative, but on the first date? Normally the handcuffs don't come out so quickly."

"I wouldn't be surprised you need collaring on a date, but I am not responsible for this set up," she scolded, gesturing to the bedposts. "It was probably my teacher."

"Mmm. this is keeps getting better."

"None of us are interested," she assured him. Well none of them that ascribed to certain tenants about spiritual and bodily purity. There were a few girls that didn't ascribe to that notion, or had trouble sticking to it, but Judy figured it wasn't a good idea for him to know that.

"That's what they all say Doll Face until they realize all the fun their missing." He winked an pulled at the restraints, "But Seriously, uncuff me? It's not my cup of tea."

Judith took a breath to strengthen her resolve, carefully keeping her face from showing how nervous she was. Hopefully at any rate.

"No. I've been told you attacked some people, and I am not letting you free until I'm told to."

She crossed her arms in front of her and attempted to look stern. She wasn't used to being in charge of anything, but this seemed inportant. And clearly he was used to getting away with a lot....Unless that was part of him losing it.

"Ah, C-come on Doll face. I've never been good with this sort of thing," He was clearly growing nervous- pulling at the restraints in almost a panicy way

This was the first obvious tip off that he wasn't just a letch that had a bad night. Although waking up in chains wouldn't be her choice for a morning, there was something in his voice that registered greater distress.

"Don't," she cauntioned, reaching out to touch his wrist. "I'll get someone. I don't have the key anyway."

Helios didn't respond, he only began to fight the restraints getting more and more violent.

"Let me go! Let me out of these damn things!"

"Shouting isn't very reassuring."

"Let me go now!" His chest was heaving and his face almost white- he was rubbing his wrists raw and they were beginning to bleed. "Please let me out!"

"Mr. Moray...Helios, look at me." She tried to catch his eyes, even though there didn't seem to be much more than terror there.

"Let me go! Let me go, let me go, let me go!" His eyes were rolling in panic, and she could only guess what his pulse might be. "For the love of god Lady drug me, hit me int he head with a hammer but untie me! Oh god I can't breathe!" He was fighting like an animal now.

"Okay, I'm working on it."

With some trepidation, she hurried to find the key. She wasn't left with it, but she was also positive that it wouldn't have been left all that far away. Sure enough, it was resting in a nearby drawer. Since Helios was beginning to really shout now she wasted no time getting the locks undone.

She called for her teacher while dragging the chains of, but for the most part she turned her attention to trying to calm him down.

"Stop, its alright. You're okay."

"Oh Trust me Doll face I am anything but okay.." He said with a weak chuckle rubbing his wrists, "Me and Okay are so far appart it's looking at my ass- I've got full circle."

Judy straightened, relived. "Well at least you're not frothing at the moment."

Fortunately, her teacher had in fact heard the disturbance and came hurrying back.

"Judith, is everything alright?"

"Apparently not," Judy said, giving Helios a look.

"Don't tie me up again."

The older priestess frowned, clearly displeased with the request and with Judy's handling of the situation. Still she did set about administering another sedative rather than tying the patient up again. This time Judy hung about out of an odd sense of obligation. And perhaps curiosity.

Once Helios was passed out again, she took the time tuck the blankets around him. This was much easier to do without working around the restraints, and she found herself noticing how he still looked tense even in sleep. She brushed his hair back as she sat again, hoping the poor man was least getting some real rest on some level.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun May 11, 2014 7:09 am
View Likes
Nutty says...

Fiona stirred the tea gently, watching the golden honey dissolve right off the spoon. She loved tea, especially the oversweet kind, and made it at every opportunity. She fancied herself the perfect picture of a domestic housewife in that moment- her long hair loosely braided and draped over a shoulder, her sundress lightly dusted with flour.

Behind her, Brutus and David were sprawled on the sofa, sharing a plate of cookies and bantering. Their presence made Fiona smile- she loved it when they were all home. David and Fiona had spent more time apart, recently, what with his alchemy studies and her being picked up by the hydrology temple. Well, she thought of it as a temple- but really it was more of a old school building with only two teachers, which was all this small town could really afford to support.

There were late nights on both sides, skipped dinners and sometimes whole weeks where she'd miss out on seeing her older brother. With her brother so busy, she hadn't seen much of Brutus, either- who had pretty much been one of the family growing up. Hearing the boys bicker over her baking gave her a warm feeling in her gut.

She turned and passed cups to both Brutus and David, before collecting her own and plonking herself between them. "I hope you saved some cookies to actually go with our tea."

David passed her the plate- missing a significant chunk of what she had baked earlier- and Fi took one before passing it on to Brutus. She settled back into the couch, sandwiched between two of her favorite people with cookies and tea.

They sat in relative quiet for a moment- as they all had their mouths filled with cookie- when something she'd heard earlier came to mind.

Fiona sat bolt upright, slopping her tea over the edge of the cup. "Brutus! Did you hear?"

Brutus rubbed tea off of his face. "Ugh, I think you splashed me in the eye. I know you're training to fight with water, but with tea? Some things are too cruel."

"Oh, sorry." Fiona placed the cup down safely on the coffee table, and turned excitedly from one side to the other, making sure she had both boy's attention.

"Something happened to one of the Queen's pyrologens." Her voice was hushed and tense in this completely private kitchen, as befit the nature of the news. "I heard about it in class."

David winked at Brutus. "Bart, here's your chance! Go impress the queen."

"Yeah, maybe I'll get knighted, too." Brutus grinned, and David's face fell slightly.

Fiona nudged David and stared hard at Brutus. "Guys, seriously. They say he burnt himself out- poof! all of his powers, gone. All that work and study and training, aaaaall gone. They said he's lucky to be alive. Did you know that could happen?"

David shrugged. "Don't ask me, you're the one studying healing.How'd you even hear this, in the first place?"

"I told you, I heard it at school."

"They were discussing the queen's personal guard right in the open where anyone could hear?"

Fiona leaned back into the couch, snagging her tea and sipping it quietly. "Well, no...."

David raised a single, authority-laden eyebrow. Fiona tried to hide her face in her cup.
"I didn't mean to, I'd just gone to ask something- and they'd left the door ajar! I just happened to overhear!"

"Mmm. Suuure." David's grin toned down the bite in his sarcasm, and FIona couldn't help smiling back.

Brutus was staring into his tea, swirling it around aimlessly. "Pyrogen, you said?"

"Yeah, so be careful. I don't want to have to heal your lame butt after you try and show off or something."

David also stared into his cup. "I wonder if it can happen to any of the Arts."

Fiona joined into the pensive-cup-staring. "I wonder if it hurts."

Their thougts were interrupted by a knock on the door. David got up and headed towards the front of the house, leaving Fi and Brutus alone in the suddenly dimmer kitchen. They sat in silence, their eyes never quite meeting.

David returned, holding three envelopes. One was open, the contents clamped in David's other hand.

"Guys, you're not going to believe this."
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 am
View Likes
VampireSenshi says...

Kazran | Celtincrown Insitutue of Alchemical Studies / Dorm

Kazran was roused from sleep subtly by the faint rustling of the other boys around him, who were getting up to preform their morning duties in the lab. He contemplated doing the same for a moment but decided instead to roll over and pretend he'd never woken up. Perhaps, he thought, they'll forget I'm here at all and I'll be exempt from today's work. One of them nudged Kazran's bed forcefully, scolding him

"By Aulani will you get up Kazran on time like the rest of us it's getting old having to stir you manually, one would think you'd do that for yourself considering you're the smartest of all of us apprentices."

Kazran chose to grunt; propping himself up on his elbow while reaching for his classes.

"Well you know, Solder, I wouldn't have to sleep so much if I wasn't doing the work you all leave behind so amateurishly in the laboratory. One of these days you'll be sure to leave one of the more volatile chemicals about and the entire building will be blown the hell. So I think your condescension is hardly warranted." he scolded back

"What, and yours is?" Solder huffed. Kazran gave him a supercilious look, obtusely placing his spectacles onto his nose. Solder sighed loudly and walked away, muttering as he went.

"Just get up and get ready you louse." Kazran chuckled exultantly while pulling the sheets from his bed and walking to his small dresser. The tarnished, stained oak was rough to the touch and had managed to gather a small layer of dust in the time since he cleaned it last which hadn't been long. Everything in the lyceum of alchemical studies apart from the laboratory itself seemed to be gathering dust even though it was janitorially maintained by a legion of diligent young scholars. Thankfully none of the young students were asthmatic, yet.

Kazran pulled the small brass nob on the drawer revealing most of his clothes, he pulled a thin strip of red cloth from the mess and wrapped it around his head, keeping only a little bit of his bangs in front of his eyes, pinning the rest to his forehead so as to keep them from moving.

The other boys had flocked to the laboratory, setting up their research stations with various chemicals and powders in front of a complex selection of measurement apparatuses and such. At the front of the room was a blackboard covered in the residue of many days of chalk, attentively being cleaned by two students. Two erasers were clashed together to remove the powder of erased chalk from the previous day by a girl who stood by the window - making sure that the thin white fog was kept out of the lab.

Before long everyone had taken their seats and the professor, the head alchemist of Celtincrown, took to his podium. He was a tall, gaunt specimen with hair that may have at one point been black but now was the color of soft smoke. His beady eyes scanned the room through his monocle, his hands gripped the podium edges with white knuckles.He brought to pass an extremely long and dry breath before beginning his lecture. His voice, loud enough to carry to the back of the room, was raspy from years of yelling incantations and tactical orders. A detailed only assumed by Kazran, based on his substantial knowledge of hand to hand combat and swordplay - a unique characteristic of only a military officer. Not that that was odd or he hadn't taught those principles to his students, but his knowledge didn't seem compulsory of your garden-variety alchemist.

"Today, we'll be discussing the theoretic applications of chemical and alchemical transmutation of Earth in combat and otherwise. I implore you to take down notes of the following chart." he went to the board and vigorously scribbled a grid with names of minerals and compounds that could be transmuted back and forth between each other and how different metals could be alchemized ordered by difficulty and effectiveness.

"Now, in circumstances such as fieldwork and confrontation the best objection to force is to do what in the case that your opponent is wearing armour?" Kazran politely raised his hand halfway in the air, so much as the professor could see but not enough that it was obnoxious.

"Someone other than Kazran, please - the brightest student in the class shouldn't be pulling the weight. How about you, Asten?" the small freckled boy sitting in the station just behind Kazran coughed and then spoke meagerly.

"Would the best option not be to just find a diplomatic solution?" the professor nodded slowly.

"I suppose, but I'm thinking more along the lines of something alchemical. What else?" he gestured to the class, a girl at the very front of the class raised her hand and spoke.

"Harden your weapon to the hardest applicable derivative according to the chart?" she said apprehensively.

"Yes, good choice! Now what about another option after that, Kazran you may answer this if you'd like."

He quickly gathered his thoughts before interjecting,
"Well if you can get close enough you can transmute their armor to the lowest possible derivative according to the chart - or even just corrode it the material is suitable enough." the professor nodded excitedly.

"Excellent." he proceeded with the lecture before letting the students continue with their individual research. One of Kazran's partners came over to him, a girl named Celestin.

"So Kazran, were you out the other night? at the bar?" he smiled coyly.

"I may or may not have been, it depends on why you're asking."

"Remember the Pyrogen who was making trouble for the other patrons? Well I heard from a little bird that he's in the hospice now, and there are rumors spreading that he's the Royal Guard who burned out." Kazran did remember the man; loud, obnoxious, very drunk. He didn't really strike him as a royal guard though.

"I find that to be a little extreme but stranger things have happened in the past. Why does it matter though? Thinking of running away and abandoning the divine chemistry in favor of some firework tricks?" he whispered timidly, laughing under his breath.

"No I'm just saying it's an interesting case. I figured that you'd be keen on coming with me to see if we can't talk to him, maybe even get something to experiment with - for science."

"Now you know how much I'd love that but it just doesn't seem worth it, I'd rather stay here and do my research for my semester findings report thank you very much."

"Yeah and I'll be praying to Kargeth by the time you're done with those." she laughed loudly.

"We'll see about that." He said.

A man walked into the laboratory, over to the Professor's desk. They talked for a moment, exchanging soft whispers. They glanced over in Kazran's direction periodically. Finally the professor called Kazran over.

"Yes professor?"

"Yes, I'm awfully sorry but I'm going to have to ask you to pack up your things. There's some business that this man has for you that is very urgent. You're my best pupil in a very long time in almost every area of focus, so I've no doubt you'll be exceptional even without finishing this term."

"Professor I'm very confused." He took an envelope from the man and handed it to Kazran.

"It's all in this letter. A summons from the queen. You'll be departing soon so do be quick about packing your belongings."

Kazran took all of papers and notebooks together and organized his belongings in the lab before heading to the dorm and doing the same. All the while pondering on what could be the reason he'd been summoned by the queen.
Have I done something wrong?
No of course not
What could it be?

The man told him that they'd be leaving the next day, and that he could open the envelope whenever he felt necessary. He held it to the light, it didn't seem that there was much in it more than a letter. He was very curious as to what events were about to unfold.

Spoiler! :
Sorry wow really long I'm sorry, don't expect that again. Just got a little rambunctious considering it's my first post back on YWS officially :y
<YWS>
<NE1>

NIGHT is always watching...

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun May 11, 2014 11:29 pm
View Likes
Bloo says...

Brutus

Brutus, or Bart if you prefer, glanced at the piece of parchment, taking in the pure beauty of the thing. The words swirled like ocean waves, glittered with gold that seemed to make them float off the pages, the parchment rough to the touch, crinkling softly as fingers slid down it. To the side Fiona was devouring her own, her eyes widening with every passing word, until she finally broke let out a squeal of joy. David glanced back his own when she was done, he probably thought it was some sort of dream until now.

The two siblings exchanged a series of glances and nods, confirming that the contents was not some odd dream, before charging into a hug.

Bart stuck an awkward hand between them, separating them just enough to speak to their grinning faces.. “Is anyone going to let me in?” As pretty as the words may have looked, they were functionally useless for him.

“Right!” David pulled away, slapping his right arm onto Bart’s shoulder. “Bart, we might just have a chance with Jennah after all.”

“The Queen? With the crown and the castle, and the entire kingdom?

David nodded, eyes wide with excitement. “The three of us, I knew we would make it, but I never thought it would be like this.”

“Celtincrown…” Fiona sighed dreamily from her side of the couch, taking another sip of her tea. “I can’t even imagine what we could learn there?”

“When do they want us there? We should start packing, does anyone even know the way-”

Fiona pressed two fingers to Bart’s lips, a time tested strategy.“Quick, and we don’t even need to pack, we just have to bring this letter to the guard post down south and they’ll provide everything we’ll need.”

Bart nodded slowly, his body slouching back into the couch as Fiona retracted her fingers. The others followed suit, the three of them starring at the ceiling as the excitement turned into pure awe. “We have to celebrate.”

“This may be our the last night in Morning Vale,” David added.

Fiona shook her head. “We'll be back, this place is too important to leave behind."

"Yeah, and we'll be the news of the century, the best this place has, or will, seen." Bart jumped off the couch. "That warrants a send-off to tell the kids about."

David glanced between Fiona and Bart, unable to stop himself from laughing at their joyful faces. "Then let's go!"
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

42 Reviews

Mon May 12, 2014 1:50 am
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

Helios:

He woke again, groggy again, feeling utterly spent- but thankfully no restraints. He slowly sat up in the bed, he was alone- pity... the redhead priestess was a cutie.
"I'm going to hell aren't I?" He muttered in a slurry fashion- clearly not over the drugs they put in him. He stood, wobbling like a newborn colt across the small room to a low dresser and leaned on it- staring into the attached looking glass.

"God... look at yourself, you look like sh**." He leaned in staring at the pale almost gaunt face staring back, " a Wreck, that's what you are... Burnt out, worn out, spent price of crap who can't even hold his booze anymore without setting a pub on fire... Hells Teeth." He rubbed his throbbing temples, trying to stop the room from spinning before his eyes. He slowly played over the past few days events, trying to pinpoint the moment he felt his life go to hell... but he was unable to. unable to find one shred of clarity in the fog that was his mind and that bothered him. He wasn't afraid to call himself out, he was usually the first to admit his flaws but this, this was different, he couldn't see a direct answer. it was more like the many flakes of snow that make up an avalanche, and no one was the direct answer.

"Oh goodness! wh-what are you doing out of bed?!" Helios turned, the Cute Redhead was back- holding a little silver tray.

"I'm gonna go dancing, wanna come?" He slurred blearily grinning and taking a clumsy step nearer. " I don't have a frigging care in the world so why not?"

The elder woman, the high Priestess walked in behind her young Novice.
"Not Quite Mr. Moray. Please lay down again, I have a bit of news for you." Helios raised his brows but obeyed- old ladies made him nervous- they usually had hat pins on them somewhere and those were formidable weapons. Once he was settled she moved closer.

"So what's up? Has the Devil come in person to lead me to hell?" The novice looked horrified and helios couldn't help a chuckle- young girls like that were always shocked at him for one reason or another.

"No Mr. Moray."

"Helios, no one calls me Mr. Moray."

"Alright then... Helios. There is a letter for you, and I believe it pertains to one I received earlier this morning." She offered a envelope to him and he instantly recognized the Queens flowing script, all mirth left him as he opened the envelop, to pieces of paper fell out and he only glanced at the royal summons, it was the attached note that caught his eye.

~~Dear Helios,
I am so sorry to hear of your episode. it does break my heart you are under so much stress and pain right now. Please believe me my heart does go out to you and I wish with all my heart I could give you the rest and period to grieve you clearly so desperately need. but I cannot. not now. As you are aware, my precious daughter had been abducted, stolen from my arms by Lord Alexander, god only knows what he may do with her. I want you to go and bring her back to me. I know the timing is horrible, you are ill and- Please Helios, even if your flames are gone your swordsmanship is unmatched. I'm asking you personally, not as a queen, but as a parent bereft of their child.~~

Helios stared at the page, the color gone from his face and leaving him looking even more ill then before. his heart was hammering in his chest and it hurt him, his eyes, tiny pricks of water threatened to spill but he blinked them back and looked up at the two Holy women before him.

"Our Benevolent Queen wishes me to release you from my care, which I do not recommend." The Older woman spoke frowning- her hands hidden in her billowy sleeves. "But, our Queen commands it and I must obey. You are unwell Mr. Moray. that much is painfully clear. and I think sending you on any mission is a unwise choice but as our Queen stated in her letter to me YOU are of importance I must send you along. But, as our Queen commanded you are still under the care of my Order, and so one of my novices shall accompany you. to make sure you do not harm yourself further." The old woman was frowning like a thundercloud, her brows knit together and she looked almost frightening.

"I see..." Helios stammered, she really was making him feel like a scolded child. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. "

"Hmph" she sniffed and turned to the Novice who was meekly mixing evil smelling potions in the corner, "Judith!"

She jumped, squeaking slightly, nearly dropping a bottle. "Y-yes?"

The old woman eyed the girl up and down, and Helios recognized the look and turned to the girl.

"Oh your in for it now...Hells teeth I pity you girl."

"You will go with Him Judith and the rest of those the queen has summoned. They will need a good healer."

"I already have a summons," the girl said, voice full of trepidatious rebellion.

"You what?"

"A summons. I'll go with him though. If he needs it. I just have one of my own is all."

"I see." The old woman seemed displeased with that, Helios couldn't help a snicker as he stood and went for his boots neatly placed in the corner,

"Well Saddle up Doll face, your in for one hell of a ?night." He winked, reeled and leaned against the wall. "what the hell was in that tea you gave me this morning? Nightshade?"

"A mixture of things...I didn't think you'd be up and about," she has the decency to look sheepish.

"Bull Crap.... you're trying to kill me, I see how it is. Shaking, reeling like a drunken fool he stumbled his way out of the room and onto the streets of the city.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon May 12, 2014 2:25 am
View Likes
Leahweird says...

Judy:

Judith hurried along behind her patient, fretting. She supposed she should go back for some of her things, but nothing that really mattered to her was already on her person. Including the envelope that had turned up this morning.

Receiving the summons has been the highlight of the day. Since then she's been subjected to a great deal of scolding and disbelief that anyone at the castle would want to see her, and frankly it was getting tiresome.

"Slow down!" she scolded to her apparent companion. He was making remarkable progress for someone so convinced he was poisoned.

Much to her irritation, Helios kept walking, making her half run to keep behind him. At least they were headed to the same place, so even if she lost track of him she could catch up there. That was of course assuming he was actually going the the castle as intructed. He hadn't seemed to thrilled by the letter he got.

"Keep up Doll Face, the Queen doesn't like to be kept waiting."

"You would know better then me," she retorted, jogging up beside him.

He shrugged. Judy tried to catch his eye, but he seemed determined to avoid her scrutiny. In some ways that was a good thing. She didn't like being leered at for one and there was something slightly off in his gaze. More than just the drugs wearing off.

"Oh this is going to just be delightful." he muttered darkly

"Why? What's wrong with seeing the queen?" She asked, concentrating on trying to match his long strides.

"Ha!"

Judy bit her lip. Clearly there was more going on here than she knew. She couldn't even guess why she has been told especially to come. In some ways she was just watching Helios, but whoever sent her a letter likely didn't know that.

"Are yo okay?" She asked him.

"Oh Just peachy."

"You just seemed upset."

This didn't get a response. She supposed she didn't really expect one. Much as it seemed to her that he was carrying a lot of weight, she wasn't exactly his friend. Still, he was slightly more familiar to her than the rest of this odd trip. And for that she was thankful. Hopefully this would all get worked out soon and she could hurry back to her duties.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 12, 2014 3:00 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

(All heroes have reached Level 2!)

David | The Wobbly Wolf

David raised his flagon of ale and the pub roared with excitement. Nearly everyone in town had shown up for their Farewell party. David was kicked back with some of his pals from work in the mines, and he watched as all the younger lads and ladies danced their way into a major stupor. It may’ve been the few drinks he’d already had, but David couldn’t help but to laugh, thinking of how many babies were going to be born nine months from that one night!

“Yer a helluva miner, Davey, an’ I hate ta see ye leave sah soon! Even aft’r yer big promotion ‘n all!”

David waved a hand at Flannery, who was red-faced from the drinks. “Ah, what can I say, Flannery?! The Vale is too good’a place to leave for good! We’ll be back before McJargon passes his next kidney stone!”

The men roared in agreement and clanked their flagons together. Out on the dancefloor, David could see boys flocking from all the corners of the pub to dance with Fiona. It was all she ever did in pubs--there was just something about the fiddle that made her get up and jig. And she was beautiful, like their mother had been! All the lads at work and even a few of his alchemy students talked about her during breaks; about her fair tanned skin, about her oaken hair and the way it almost swooned around her when she danced, and about her skill as a Hydrologist. It wasn’t even egotistical of David to admit that the two siblings were famous in town for excelling in their arts--but a secret that David kept to himself was that he heard more people talking about how strong and valorous Bart was. In and out of every day of work and night of study, he could almost quote the men talking about Bart’s wild hunts, of how he’d slain more beasts than any hunter this side of Norcaster.

Basically, if you asked David if he was proud of his makeshift family, he’d go on for hours. The doors to the tavern swung slightly, and a small lady walked in, notable by the green leather cloak she wore over her shoulders, often with the hood pulled over her head. And she always--and David meant always--had a book on her.

He stood up from his seat with the fellas and took in a deep breath--one that might make a man lighter on his stomach sick after drinking. But David wasn’t a lightweight, by any standards. He fetched something small and fragile from his pocket: a small lump of graphite that he’d salvaged from work a few weeks before. He’d carried it in his tunic pocket ever since...with only one purpose in mind. He closed his hands around the small lump of soft mineral and held it to his lips, transferring his energy into its tiny form, reconstructing the matter one atom at a time until what he held in his hand was something completely different.

David took a few steps away from the table and caught the eye of the band leader on fiddle; he motioned his hand across his throat to get the music stopped. The dancers stopped in their stupor and the patrons looked on with curiosity, maybe even some anger that someone’d stopped their good time. David looked at the pub with all eyes on him, looked at Fi and Bart, and smiled ear-to-ear. “Ladies ‘n fellas, I’ve been thinkin’!”

“Sounds dangerous if ye ask me!” shouted a patron. The bar roared with laughter.

“Now, what’s a good farewell party without a little romance?!”

The bar roared in approval.

David turned to Jennah, who still stood near the front of the pub. He approached her and stopped, swallowing a knot in his throat. Then, he dropped to one knee.

The pub went crazy.

“Miss Jennah, I may not be a Knight or a miracle worker, and I may not be the most valorous warrior in the land--” he smiled as the corners of her mouth slowly turned upwards. “But you’d make me the happiest man in this enormous world if you’d be my wife.” He held up the freshly-transmuted ring, and the diamond shined in the flickering flame glow of the pub. Jennah raised her hands to her mouth, pursing her lips. Then she nodded madly, diving down to kiss David square on the lips, dropping her book in the quick motion. David brought them both upright and kissed her back as the bar roared with excitement. He placed the ring on her finger, and she hugged his neck.

When she let go, the pub was quiet, and she had a smirk on her face. “Oy, ye’d better not keep me waiting, either! Don’t think I’ll sit by the window watchin’ the road just because I miss ya!”

The pub erupted with laughter. Picking her book up off the floor, Jennah raised her eyebrows and motioned towards the door. David obliged.

Outside, Jennah hugged her book to her chest, watching David with glistening eyes. “I spent a long time thinkin’ you only wanted ta watch me from a hillside, y’know.”

David grinned, rubbed the back of his neck, and chuckled. “It takes me a while to work up courage, I guess. But if I couldn’t say it now, I’m not sure when I could say it--but I love ya, Jennah. It’s just the way things are.”

Jennah nodded, laying her head against David’s chest. “If that’s how it is, Davey, then I like the way things are.”

David wrapped his arms snugly around the small of her back and touched his lips to her hair, trying to remember everything. “I’ll be back before ye know it,” he said, “and I’ll have a badge from Queen Mary, and life’ll be so good for us and this little town.”

She turned her head up and locked eyes with him. The moon was high in the night sky, and her eyes were nearly luminous. “I think you’re already good fer this town,” she admitted. “There’s a sorta light that follows y’round, ‘n it spreads to anyone near ye.” She took a step back and unfastened her green cloak, draping it over his shoulders. “What I said inside was a lie, I think.” She smiled and patted his chest. “I’ll probably watch the road ev’ry night, waitin’ for ye t’come back.”

“Ye won’t be waitin’ long, I can promise y’that.” He bent down and kissed her once more, as softly and earnestly as a kiss had ever been shared in The Vale.
-Shinji Moon

42 Reviews

Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 am
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

Helios/streets of the capitol:

Helios walked on keeping a steady pace, he wasn't going fast by any means but his long strides were causing the Novice behind him to job, he was trying to ignore her prying questions,

"You just seem upset..." she repeated, He turned on her, he could feel the fire inside slowly reignite.

"I said I was fine! Drop it." She recoiled with a gasp- staring at him- he guessed his eyes, his irises had gone red, it was something they did when his emotions got the better of him. He turned around again and marched on, shoulders hunched, head down, chest heaving.

Dammit all the hell, why couldn't the Queen just leave me alone? Why keep sticking a finger in a wound and twisting it?

He pulled the letter from his pocket and skimmed it, his anger building again,

"Damn her." He muttered darkly, crumpling up the paper and throwing it away, he didn't care. He didn't care about anything anymore. Not the Queen, not the Kingdom, not the Princess- they could all burn for all he cared...hell, HE could burn for all he cared.

Suddenly a shadow loomed over him and he looked - the towers and pinnacles of the Temple loomed up stately before him, he ground his teeth.

"Yeah- like any of you are even listening." He looked up at the temple again and flipped it off before looking back at the girl following. "Keep up Princess, you don't want to get lost." He forced a rakish smile.

Spoiler! :
anyone is welcome to find the letter, might make sense if Judy found it but again anyone is welcome if you want to.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon May 12, 2014 11:40 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Leigh's braid cracked in the night wind. Just like the whip ve wielded, vis braid acted like a secondary, non lethal weapon that many fellow students had complained about already.

Ribbons had gone magenta for a week after that.

Leigh had a large plank of wood on the grass in front of ver, a rock at each corner to hold a map of the night sky down in such a gale. Ve had vis hood down to better see the stars, silver ink beside ver in the grass so ve could mark any pinpricks. The headmaster had loaned ver the single smallest nibs that could fit in a pen so ve could mark the stars down to the single smallest detail.

Ve checked the moondial beside ver and lifted up the rocks on one side to reveal the map for three am underneath. Ve sighed and placed that map under in the stack. Astronomy weeks were either mind numbingly boring, or more fascinating than ve could describe.

This week was the former.

Leigh was about to dip the second smallest nib into the ink when there was an obstruction in the wind, causing vis braid to rest against vis back. Ve looked up to see Bryan coming over the crest of the hill ve was studying on.

He slid down next to Leigh, traveling a good two feet on already grass stained trousers, hand outstretched to show a piece of parchment that was practically glowing in the moonlight. "Here!"

Ve blinked at it, taking the parchment and breaking the obviously royal seal. Vis eyebrows shot up as ve read the directions. Certainly not every day you receive a royal summon.

"Well... that's something."

"The headmistress said we can leave tomorrow!" he said, pulling out a matching letter from his tunic. "Both of us! Can you believe it? We get to go see the capital and study stars across the country!"

Leigh nodded, smiling as ve put away the supplies as neatly as ve could manage. "It'll be nice to study other skies."

Bryan frowned. "You could at least pretend to be excited, Lee."

That got a grin. "I am. I just don't want to forget anything!"

Once that understanding was reached, he helped gather up the wood plank, stopping at his station to gather what supplies he'd left there in his rush to get the letter to Leigh, and both made it back to the school.

By the time they'd finished packing, the stars were beginning to fade in early dawn light and the other night shift students were entering their darkened rooms to sleep the day away. Leigh saw them yawning and yawned verself.

"I'm glad we're flying to Celtincrown."

Bryan was still buzzing with activity and practically bounced down the hall. "Why?"

"So we can catch a nap, which you'll need after that adrenaline wears off."
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 am
View Likes
Bloo says...

Brutus

Bart glared out into the woods, his head still pounding from the night before. Inside Fiona was finishing her packing, Hydrologists had a nifty trick for curing the pain, that she was currently refusing Bart. It wasn't my fault, he swore, he didn't mean to throw up on her. In the meantime Bart was pretending to enjoy the pain, saying how it only proved how much fun the night had been, Fiona did not buy a word of it.

Out in the woods the trees began to rustle, a jolly tune piercing the air as a man stumbled out of the brush. "I wish me dad could see me now, the boy that's now a groom! And if me mom could see me bride, she'd fan herself and swoon!"

Bart, pushing past his pounding head, hopped out of his chair."You're gettin married!"

David looked up, grinning like he was on the top of the world. "I know!" The two of them charged at each other, embracing in a mix of a tackle and a hug, falling to the ground in drunken glee. "Now we just need to find ya' one, eh?"

Bart laughed as he pulled out of the hug. "You say that like I haven't been trying."

David put a hand on Bart's shoulder, giving him a seriously heartfelt look. "I think that might be the problem." David's expression broke, laughter pouring out of him. "Sorry, I had to."

"Don't apologize to me, apologize to all the girls who don't know what they're missing."

"David!" A shriek came from the house, Fiona standing in the doorway. "I was beginning to think we had lost you."

"I must admit it was a tempting thought, I could change my mind if you want."

"Don't you even dare!" Fiona gave David a light smack, then quickly changed it into a hug. "Now get packing, we'll talk about the wedding on the way!"

The three of them stood at the city's gate, an old wooden arch that had paint and wood chips peeling off it, the sun rising around them. It was at this moment that they all realized what a terrible idea the night before had been. Except the Jennah thing, David was still very committed to his eventually to be wife, it was the pub they regretted. Their bodies ached,minds groggy and slow from the sleep deprivation and alcohol saturation. Still, despite groans and complaints, they were determined to make it to Celtincrown, they kind of had to after the giant show the night before.

Bart took the lead on the journey, the woods south of town were basically a home to him, with all the hunting he did. "The morning is not the best time to be here," he noted as they walked. "The deer spook easy, and that spooks the bigger stuff, and those tend to spook other big stuff. It's a whole cycle of nature deal."

As if on queue a deer popped out of the brush, head darting back and forth between the three amigos, neck quivering as it prepared to run at the slightest...thing. The three amigos froze, like a three amigos in a deer's sight, as Bart silently cursed to himself. "Stay...still...no...no...no...no."

Fiona, the cause of the amusement nos, was slowly creeping towards the deer, hands raised cautiously above her head. The deer moved back a step, keeping its eyes on her the whole time. "I got it-"

"No."

"Just watch." Fiona slid her staff off of her back, a slight glow coming off the tip as she brought it to her side. The air around the staff began to shimmer, mist creeping out of the ground around Fiona. "Soothing Mist," she stated. The mist burst to life, pulsing with a turquoise energy, Fiona's staff guiding it forward towards the deer.

"No?"

"Like I said, just watch." As the mist surrounded the deer it's neck calmed as it's head dipped down. "See, it was almost too easy." Fiona withdrew her staff, the deer slowly lowering to the ground, eyes closing as it struggled to stay awake. "Now, let's go."

And then the Wolf attacked.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Wed May 14, 2014 1:56 pm
View Likes
Nutty says...

Fiona

Fiona barely got her staff up in time to protect her face. Jaws snapped inches from her nose, flecking her with droplets of saliva. Fiona buckled under the wolf's weight as it scrabbled to unwedge the staff from its jaws.

As the wolf fell back, the deer woke from its stupor and panicked, kicking the wolf straight in the ribs. A flash and it was gone, but it had left the wolf momentarily stunned.

Fiona could hear the blood rushing in her ears as she stumbled backwards away from the flashing white jaws. She held her staff out in front of her, and the wolf tracked the end of it with its eyes. Every time it snapped at her, the rushing noise got louder, and the end of the staff wavered harder.

There was a flurry of footsteps and then David was in front of her, fists at the ready. "Fiona! Stay back!"

Fiona stared, her voice frozen in her throat. For a moment, her brother looked like a comic book hero; his hair was wavering in the wind and leaves were still settling at his heels. The wolf didn't pause to appreciate this, and the illusion was shattered as David was forced to dodge to avoid a vicious bite.

"David!" Fiona was aware of Bart's voice joining hers, and they both stepped forward. Fiona forgot her initial fear and brought her staff to the ready, while Bart drew his daggers.

David swung and caught the wolf square on the muzzle, cutting the beast's attack short. As the wolf fell, David punched the ground with his off hand, causing a jagged rock to launch from the earth and catch the wolf under the jaw. A second rock caught slammed into its chest, sending it flying. The wolf collapsed in a pile of fur and teeth at Fiona's feet, who thrust the butt of her staff hard into its side. As if repelled, the wolf was on its feet and rebounding away, rounding on Fiona. Adrenaline poured through her system and she smacked her staff across the wolf's broad, hard skull, driving it back and straight into David's grasp.

David's expression was wild, his eyes wide and his teeth gritted; he leapt onto the wolf's back and wrapped his arms around its throat in a choke hold. Fiona had seen him wrestle like this many times; but never with anything other than Brutus or the occasional stray goat from the neighbour's farm. The wolf was stronger than any goat, and it threw its whole body from side to side in attempt to dislodge him.

Fiona saw a chance and swung, knocking the wolf's feet from beneath it. Wolf and man tumbled over in a blinding flurry of leaves and dust, and for an moment Fi felt dread grip her heart. Had she just signed her brother's death certificate?

As the dust settled, Fiona made out the tangle of fur and limbs. David was beneath the animal, but not pinned- the wolf was upside down and writhing. Brutus had apparently decoded the situation before Fiona and was already moving forward. A flash of fire engulfed his blade, and he drove his dagger into the wolf's exposed belly. He rammed towards the wolf's head, aiming for the heart and lungs. The wolf's struggles grew more furious, and Fiona watched in horror as it sunk its teeth into Brutus's arm.

After a long tense moment, the beast gave a final shudder and slumped. All three companions collectively relaxed, suddenly finding themselves able to breathe again. Brutus gingerly peeled the wolf's muzzle from his arm before pushing the whole carcass off of David. Fiona dropped her staff and ran, smothering David with a bone-creaking hug, gore and all.

"Urk. Kid, try not to break me."

"Sorry! Sorry. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Really! fine."

Fiona nodded slowly, letting the knowledge sink into her brain and calm her nerves a little. She paused for a moment, before remembering something with a start.
"Brutus! Are you okay?" She span, heart speeding up again. "Show me your arm!"

Brutus looked up, and smiled sheepishly. "I'm okay, really-"

"Show me!"

Brutus sighed and extended his arm, allowing Fi to examine it with careful fingers. A bloody 'U' was embedded in the skin, with at least five puncture wounds. She hissed softly, wincing in empathy. "Does it hurt?"

"A little, I guess."

Fiona gently took his hand, flexing his fingers. "How about now?"

"No more than before."

"You can move them yourself?"

He wiggled his fingers, and Fiona sighed in relief. "Looks like there's no real tissue damage. He mustn't have gotten a proper grip before you killed him."

Fiona leant back, looking from David to Brutus and back again. Now she'd confirmed they were both mostly whole, she felt the adrenaline- and the energy- leave her body. Overtight muscles suddenly sagged, and she sat down heavily in the dirt. David moved to her side, concern etched onto his face. His lips framed the words 'are you okay', but Fiona's expression made him pause. "Fiona, what's so funny?"

Fiona's shoulders shook as the barely contained, relief-fueled giggle threatened- and then succeeded- to burst from her in a high squeak. She looked at her friends' confused, bloody faces, and they made her laugh harder. Soon she was wiping tears from her eyes, her already exhausted lungs begging for air.

Brutus's confusion cracked first, and he let out a low chuckle. This just egged Fiona on into full on hysterics, which in turn, amped up Brutus's laughter. David spread his hands wide, an amused but confused grin on his face. "What's so funny?" he demanded again.

Fiona just shook her head and flapped her hand at him, struggling to gain control over her ragged emotions.
"Nothing, nothing." She coughed, settling her face into something she hoped was serious. "Brutus, come here. I'll clean your wound."
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 14, 2014 9:53 pm
Lumi says...

David

Their entire trek through Titan’s Forest had been just like their first fifteen minutes: here’s a wolf, there’s a deer, and occasionally a godforsaken griffon would see them trespassing and try to defend its turf. This all had been very educational for David, and it had definitely led Fiona to sharpen her healing because, between David and Brutus being chewed on and clawed at the seams, Fiona had probably healed at least one decent platoon of men over time. It was because of this, and probably because of the ridiculous humidity in the forest, because of the way the dirt and grime seemed to stick to their skin, that Fiona was in a Foul Mood by the time they reached the southern stretch.

“If I see another drop of blood, I’m going to break my staff in two,” Fiona deadpanned.

David huffed behind her, exhausted from their journey. It didn’t help anything that he was running on an empty stomach. “It was really dumb of us to leave home without food,” he admitted. “Though I guess food would have attracted more predators.”

“Fighting off a predator is nothing like fighting off a person who really wants to hurt you,” Bart remarked. “When someone wants you dead, you’ll probably end up dead.”

David gave a hard look at his bronze knuckles covering his leather gloves. The spikes were dark and grimey with creature blood. “Maybe it would’ve been smarter to buy a sword off the weaponsmith back home. I could just cut everything apart.”

Bart plopped onto the ground to rest, arms crossed. “You’d be weighed down a lot more. In fact, i doubt you could outrun any of the creatures we’ve fended off so far.”

David gave this thought as he, too, dropped to his butt in the grass beside a berry bush. He plucked several and tossed them in his mouth.

Fiona staggered as something made the earth shake beneath her. “Davey, was that your stomach growling?”

David swallowed his berries and shook his head. “Nah, only Bart’s belly roars fierce like that.”

Bart shook his head. “It wasn’t me. I felt it, too.”

The ground shook once more, and Fiona clutched her staff to her chest. “I don’t like this feeling I’m getting.”

David laughed. “Oh, so now you’re a psychic like all those flighty astronomers?! Ah, Fi, you crack me up.”

His laughter stopped, though, as the trees behind him and Bart bent forwards, harbingers of a deafening roar. They jumped up and huddled together, weapons drawn, and stared down a beast of legend--and the Titular creature for which the forest was named.

David held an arm in front of Fiona instinctively as the three were approached by The Titan.

The Titan
The guardian of the ancient Titan Forest, this enemy is large and brutal, but slow and dumb. This creature is incapable of communicating with humans. Due to its massive physical damaging capabilities, direct combat is ill-advised; but rather one should approach the enemy in a manner to outsmart him. The Titan holds his forest beloved, and the destruction of his home causes the creature great emotional distress.
-Shinji Moon

I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec