z

Young Writers Society

Shattered Crowns

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 pm
Spotswood says...

Do you love High Fantasy? Do you love deep, developed story lines? Do you love Game of Thrones/Lotr? Do you love games where you control your own fate, create a character, and explore vast lands? Do you love BioWare RPG's? And, most importantly, do you love to write? (Of course you do, or you wouldn't be here, now would you)

If you said yes to any of these questions (except for the last one), you should play Shattered Crowns, an original RPG made by myself, inspired by various works of fiction as well as mythology!

The origins for this RPG had its roots in one I created at a summer camp in 2012, right before my sixteenth birthday. My fellow campers began creating some of their own games where they narrate events and the player chooses what to say and where to go. This inspired me to create my own, set in the Forgotten Realms DnD setting (which is funny because I have never played DnD, but have played the Neverwinter Nights games). It was very well-received.

The next year I created another RPG, only with more developed mechanics and an actual storyline called "Star Wars: Heroes of the Old Republic" based on the KOTOR/TOR games, complete with classes that weren't classes in name only, actually contributing to certain abilities and storylines. It was not as popular as the other one was the year before, sadly, even though I spent months on it.

This year, after launching my fantasy world when I started writing the book back in August, I began working on a new RPG entitled "Shattered Crowns", which takes place ten years after the prologue to my book, which is posted here on YWS. I decided to make it an online experience, where you create a character from an extensive character creation sheet and, depending on the character that you created, I write a backstory for you based around your character, contributing to your overall experience!

The mechanics are extremely intensive, but easy to comprehend. You level up your abilities, and your class and race contributes to what your skills are. Each person's storyline is different too, making it unique for each person.

Unlike videogame RPGs, you have total control over the choices you make...100%, which means you can do anything and go anywhere you want! The possibilities are endless!

The way this works is that, after you create a character, I make a folder for you, give your storyline a name, and then put an individual folder in there for your storyline.

From there, I put multiple google word documents inside the folder, and we play by text that way, me writing what happens and you responding to the environment via dialogue or action and replying to such.

While combat will be a heavy component, it is mostly based around story...and your companions.

Over the course of your journey, you will meet a variety of colourful characters who will help you on your journey, all with varying personalities, backgrounds, intentions, and alignments.

You are encouraged to talk to them and get to know their characters. I have incorporated something that I like to call the "Influence System", meaning that whenever you respond to a companion's comment by agreeing to them or being kind, cynical, mean (or whatever your companion would like to here depending on their personality), you will gain influence over them, meaning that they will ultimately trust you more, take your side, have your back, or even do whatever you want them too! Even if you have enough influence over them, you can convince them to kill whomever you want them to, or you can even change their alignments. If you play a lawful good character and meet a chaotic evil companion, you can get influence over him and slowly make him good!

Oh yeah, you will get romance options too (usually 2 straight options, one bi option, and one gay option, so it is fair for anybody who wants a choice) and you can develop relationships to make the experience feel more real.

There will also probably be some PG-13 sexual encounters too (as each major city has a "whorehouse" location), but you can choose whether or not you want to partake in such (if you want a PG experience, you can make it so on your own, and if you want an R experience or even a graphic HBO TV MA experience, you can play that way too). It's all, you, the player's hands!

Now, this is a vast and potentially confusing world, but it is based on an enormous universe I created.

It originally began as a mod for Neverwinter Nights 2 I was creating at a technology/computer camp in early summer of 2010 when I was thirteen or fourteen. I created a place known as "The Northwest Forest" where an order of Green Rangers defended it against forces of darkness.

It was a rough idea, but it was what ignited the spark for me to create Caenterin and Arna.

New ideas came and went. Maps came and went. Characters came and went. But the Northwest Forest stayed.

I tried creating the land a few times, but it was highly unoriginal.

Back in August, I decided to create a world parallel to our own, with similar events and parallels, both social and political, going on today, but only they are still in a medieval/renaissance era (the coming of the Nightwalkers from the east represents the crisis currently going on in Iran and tensions rising in the Middle East). The division of the Caenterin Alliance is also an allegory for the chaos in the European Union right now.

There is a parallel to almost everything in this world. You won't find orcs or elves here though, since they are cliched.

So, this is all just the tip of the iceberg. There is sooo much more to touch up on. I'd really encourage you all to check it out.

The only thing is that you need a gmail in order to do this, since it is in Google Docs. To that end, if you want to participate, say that you do and either post or PM me your gmail.

Hope to see you on the battlefield!

- Spotswood
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

29 Reviews

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:48 pm
Spotswood says...

bump
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 pm
ongoeslife says...

Sounds intriguing! You've obviously put a lot of thought and work into this. *applauds*

My gmail is sgedamke97@gmail.com

29 Reviews

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:37 pm
Spotswood says...

I will add you to the group momentarily
-R.U.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

I wish you luck with this. I would partake in it but the system seems a little cumbersome.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

29 Reviews

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:39 pm
Spotswood says...

Easy to learn, yet difficult to master. PM me if you wish to join!
-R.U.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm
EllaBliss says...

I need this.

loveheartsies@gmail.com
Oh, I'm such a fool! I can't be free!
No escape from the storm inside of me!
I can’t control the curse!
Please, you’ll only make it worse!
There’s so much fear! You’re not safe here!

29 Reviews

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:31 pm
Spotswood says...

added you
-R.U.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:33 pm
Craz says...

Guys, I think it might be smarter to PM him your gmail instead of posting it here, where anyone can get to it, hack it, and who knows what else to it.

As for me though, I'm not sure if I can squeeze this in, since it does seem time consuming, but I'm still considering it. ;)
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

29 Reviews

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 pm
Spotswood says...

bump
-R.U.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:08 pm
ongoeslife says...

I made it up just for this, so I'm not too concerned about it. I used fake info, anyway.

29 Reviews

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 pm
Spotswood says...

Did you get it?
-R.U.

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:28 am
Snowery says...

I'd love to try this, but things might get busy for me. Is there any time pressure on this?
The World Is Mine.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
— Bilbo Baggins