Young Writers Society

The Forest Labyrinth (Started/ Closed)

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:01 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Kel 

They came to an abrupt stop at the edge of a clearing, Kel's right hand immediately darted to the scruff of Night's neck. His short, furry coat offered him comfort and friendship. It was disquiet ending how swift the pair had come to rely on each other. He scanned the clearing with carefully emotionless eyes, a boy stood not far ahead astride a mare and was obviously injuried. A bandage wounded up his leg yet his cool, blue eyes glinted cautiously beneath a mop of ink-black hair.

In one hand, he gripped a sword, obviously trained by the simple grace he held it and the way it seemed to dance with its movements. Yet, Kel did not think he was a threat, he didn't radiate that aura. However, the companion to his right was another matter. 

To his right and only several arm length away. Stood a woman clad in assassin clothing, a blush coloured his wind-blown cheeks as he took in her aopetance and silent profanities raced through his mind. Being isolated did indeed have its advantages, and there was no chance of hiding his emotions now. Her vibrant blue eyes seemed to dance with amusement as she locked eyes with him . He feigned a cough and looked away in utter embarrassment. 

"Greetings all." The words slipped from his lips smoothly, politely interested yet revealing nothing. It was the least he could mange as he refocused his gaze on the boy, carefully avoiding the assassin's.  
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:36 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Corvusia Cornixa

Liana had quickly left Corvusia's presence, much to the older woman's relief- childish deliria was something she had little patience with, and she was already antagonised by the pangs of hunger in her stomach, making her even more irritable. Bane had watched the girl go, and returned to his mistress confirming that she had truly left via the path travelling towards the north-west, according to Bane's clockwise counting. Content that she would not be disturbed again for the duration of her meal, Corvusia carved up the boar into slices of flesh and removed the kidneys to be boiled slightly in the base of the animal's skull. Much of the fat was left for Bane to devour, and many of the bones picked by his hungry beak.

The pork was succulent and pleasant smelling, and the strong odour of cooked meat had not attracted any unwelcome guests so far (excluding Miss Maymont), so the assassin was in a decidedly pleasant mood, identifiable from her softened expression and slight smile, which slightly exposed her shallow dimples. As Bane continued to peck away at the left overs, Corvusia wrapped up the leftovers in the skin of the animal, which she had laid out at the back of the tent to dry by the fire- though it had not been treated to be made into leather, and therefore was not as sturdy as she hoped. What was left of her catch was likely to be sufficient to feed her for another three days- if it served for breakfast, lunch and dinner- but she was bound to locate some vegetables during that time to keep her system fully efficient.

That night Corvusia had tried to sleep soundly, but every minute or so a collection mysterious sounds would disturb her, and she would send Bane to locate the source of the noise, yet he would return with no news as to what had created it. When she finally managed to embrace a half-slumber, she had merely an hour of rest before she startled from her passive state, when she realised that Bane was no longer nestled into the back of her neck. She jumped up, still clad in her leathers and burst out of her tent into the black abyss, head quickly observing all directions in a frantic fashion. Perspiring from all parts of her body, she whistled aloud and snapped her fingers to call back the bird, yet no sign of his presence could be seen. Total hysteria had begun to seep into her mind, and her eyes became dizzy with panic.

Through the mist, a distorted shaped shifted and advanced towards Corvusia, and her weapons had been left in the tent. She fell back as she watched in horror, deprived of the one thing that kept her composed- even under the worst of circumstances- as the silhouette loomed closer...
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 pm
lostthought says...

Sarah David

I find someone in the mist. I can barely see her, but I have been following her for quite a bit. Her bird proved to be a challenge to hide from. Luckily, I managed.

I approach her. My pack lays strangely on my back, but I pay it no regards. If I scare her, oh well.

"Hey! Don't be scared, it's only me!"

"I'm not scared. Come closer all I can see you."

I come closer, "There, see. I'm harmless. Just a lost traveler. I'm just warning you of the others. They are not close, but if the trees keep doing their thing, I fear they may be on your step."

Her eyes narrow, "Why are you telling me this?"

I walk backwards into the mist as I reply, "Because I hope you survive." Then I run, run as fast as I can into the trees. Into their murderous grip.

I go back to my meager camp. I dive down into the ditch that lays under one of the trees. Surely they can't strike me here. Surely....
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

The Forest was growing frustrated. No one was moving! This was boring and slow, and it was getting hungry waiting for the food to do something. It didn't want to kill another one yet, but if they didn't respond to this next threat it would have to eat something. A quick search found a pack of feral wolves, cavorting on the edge of the trees. The forest called them back into its depths, and there it began to pile the mist onto them. Obviously, it wasn't ordinary mist; each water droplet added to the size and ferocity of the animals, until they were as big as a bears and just as mean. Then it sent the creatures out one by one after the wanderers in its depths. Dance, Jesters, Dance!

Millions of miles from home
In the darkness before the dawn
In the swirling of this storm
When I'm rolling with the thunder
But bleed from thorns
Leave a light, a light on.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:28 pm
Messenger says...

Lance

He stared at the strangers, completely ignoring the young man's "greetings," or whatever it was he said. He warily eyed the assassin, wondering what in the world they were all doing here, but not caring to find out. Let's just get out of here. He spurred Faith into a walk and passed right in front of the wolf that the young man obviously owned.

Faith pranced nervously and nearly bumped into the assassin who growled "back off."

Lance turned to her. "You could get out of the way."

"And you could take charge of your horse. That's why there are those things called reins. For guiding it." She had a crisp and clear voice. Not too loud, not too quiet, but commanding.

Lance pulled faith to a stop and turned to her. "Look, am tired and injured and you are in my way. Now if my horse accidentally bumps you just get over it."

"You're injured?" the young man asked, his voice sounding concerned.

Lance twisted the other way to face him. "Yes I am. Which is why I'd like to find a suitable camping spot in this forest."

with that he prodded Faith again once more, but the assassin grabbed her bridle. In a flash Lance had his blade drawn. The assassin leapt back with the agility of a cat.

"Look," she said, " you may not want help, but there are a few things you should know about this forest."

"She's right," the man said. His wolf started to growl and sniff the air, making Faith unsteady once again.

Lance rubbed her neck. "Easy girl, easy." He sheathed his sword since it seemed these people meant him no harm. "So what do I need to know."

"this forest is . . . strange. Almost like it's alive."

Lance rolled his eyes. "Oh, well thanks for the warning, but I have yet to see a living forest."

The wolf let out a howl that made Lance nearly jump out of his stirrups. "what the blazes is wrong with your wolf!" he demanded.

"Danger. There is something dangerous nearby," the man said. "We should get going."

Lance re-drew his sword. "Well I think I'll get out of here then. Nice chatting."

A large grey beast burst out of the forest into the clearing, just as Lance was about to ride out. He gasped at the monstrosity of the beast. It looked like a wolf, and yet it was huge. Nearly the size of a bear. It's fangs were several inches long. What is that!

The beast snarled and huffed loudly. Lance took no time for thought, and charged forward before the beast could make an attack. He charged forward and hacked at the beast's left shoulder. The blade cut through the fur like paper and tore deep into flesh. The beast roared loudly and pounced at Lance. It's snout slammed into Faith, knocking Lance off the saddle as his horse stumbled backwards.

The assassin moved next.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat May 03, 2014 8:41 am
View Likes
Seraphinaxx says...

Liana Maymont

"I have yet to see a living forest." Dammit why are all these people so stupid? Actually no, don't answer that. But seriously. It's so damn obvious, but no one wants to accept it. The guy's pet wolf starts growling. Apparently it means there's danger. What I want to know is why it didn't warn him not to enter these woods in the first place? As I'm about to voice my question a beast springs out of the bushes.

It's a wolf the size of a bear. Might as well say it like it is. The injured knight attacks it, cutting into it. It knocks him backwards. I draw my bow and fire an arrow into its injury for maximum effect. It turns, growling, to look at me. I draw my katana and let it come to me, sidestepping its charge whilst slashing at the beast.

The dance continues. I move seamlessly, gliding and slashing. If I mess this up its over. But I'm not an assassin for nothing. If your opponent is stronger, and in my case they usually are, you must be faster. Take advantage of your surroundings. It charges at me again and I leap onto its back, then pull myself into a tree.

The boy's wolf starts growling at it and it begins to run towards him. As it passes beneath me I leap onto it, using my body weight to drive my sword into the back of its skull. I leap off, pulling out my sword, and land gracefully. Then I move towards the injured man to check his wounds. If we're going to beat this forest we need to work together.
Review for a review :)

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you. Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash