z

Young Writers Society

Potterbook v.2 (Closed)

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 pm
AfterTheStorm says...

Arrabella (Arria) Colufort|Ravenclaw|Arrival to Hogwarts

After Arria joined Allen and two other first-years on the short boat ride to the castle, she remained in an awed state of silence, admiring the glistening display of torches glinting off of the lake. Hogwarts Castle imposed upon the evening sky like a black, sprawling giant which welcomed its students home to its keeping. Portcullises, towers, and flying buttresses decorated the exterior of the Wizarding School in a talented array of stonework. Even in the fading light, Arria could admire the architectural spectacle displayed before her. Growing up in a pure-blooded family she had always heard Hogwarts described, but even those imageries conjured by her brothers plunged pathetically short of the real thing.

Minutes later, after docking the boats and filing out onto the school grounds, the entirety of the first-years followed a big hairy man. Arrabella remembered his name to be Hagrid. The half-giant led the gaggle of eleven year-olds into the front hall of Hogwarts castle where another member of staff greeted the group. Arria stood at the front of the pack of buzzing soon-to-be students, standing next to Allen, an auburn-headed girl, and a brooding boy. Nudging Allen, she stated, “I am supposing that the woman is Minerva McGonagall.” Arria nodded to the professor standing before two great doors in the hall. The woman’s arms were crossed as she studied the new faces before her, the leathery witch’s cap on her head swaying slightly. “Have you heard of her?” Arrabella finished. “Top of her class, and head of House Ravenclaw.” Allen smiled at her.

Suddenly the professor stepped forwards, her heels clicking against the floor of the expansive castle foyer. “Welcome to Hogwarts,” the witch, assumed to be a certain Professor McGonagall, began crisply. “Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates, but before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses.” At these words, the pack of first-years erupted into excited conversation.

“I already know that I’ll be a Slytherin!” someone behind Arria exclaimed. “Everyone in my family says so.”

The conversations abruptly ended with a man’s boomed, “Silence!” to which the young students promptly responded by closing their mouths with a clack of teeth.

Allen turned his head to see where the voice came from, and Arria followed his example. She noticed a slim wizard cloaked in black standing towards the back of the front hall.

“Do you happen to know who he is?” Allen whispered to Arria as McGonagall began speaking once more. Arrabella shrugged, still studying the mysterious man. Her attention was resumed by the mention of the Hogwarts Houses.

“The Houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin,” McGonagall was declaring. “Now while you're here, your House will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup.”

A ripple of discussion once again disturbed the witch’s speech. Everyone was too anxious, so eventually the massive doors leading to the Great Hall flew open. Arria smirked and glanced over at Allen, who was smiling slightly.

“Welcome home,” Allen said.
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Mon May 05, 2014 6:51 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Derek | Gryffindor | Arrival to Hogwarts

Edwin stood near Derek as they both keep peeking towards Candice, grinning at each other in anticipation. When they were on the train, Derek who hadn't even known the best way to prank the uptight girl, had been thrilled by Edwin's pure genius. He may be a bit odd, but Derek liked the way he thought.

Much to their disappointment, however, she went off in another direction with the kids in her own grade. Looking slightly crestfallen, Edwin and Derek headed off with the other first years behind the giant man. Derek wasn't afraid, though, he had remembered his father talking fondly of Hagrid. Edwin and Derek got in a boat with two other scared looking first years.

He promised, silently, that he would ask Hagrid if he remembered Kristopher. One of his father's favorite subjects had been magical creatures and had to go to Hagrid often with questions Grubbly-Plank couldn't answer. It was one of the few things Derek's dad really told him about his time in the wizarding world.

"It's really quite magnificent, wouldn't you say?" Edwin said in awe.

Derek looked at the castle. He wasn't sure he had ever seen something so beautiful and full of mystery before in his short life. When the boats hit the shore right before Hogwarts, he had a bit of trouble getting out due to his legs shaking in fear and anticipation.

The walls were made of ancient looking stone, and it almost sang with magic. Inside was just as wondrous as the outside. Large staircases where ever the eye glanced and moving pictures all over the walls.

"It's better than I imagined it could be," Derek whispered to Edwin, afraid that if he spoke too loudly it would shatter this dream.

Derek hardly listened to the other students chattering about. He hardly heard Edwin murmuring about the different houses. Derek silently hoped that maybe he and Edwin would be in the same house. It would be nice to have a familiar, cheery face around.

Once the other students finally quieted down, thanks to a dark looking bloke, and the stern look on the witch who greeted them, did Derek finally get himself under control. He wouldn't let the other students see how frightened he was. Though the sorting was what Derek feared more than anything. He had heard about it, but mainly it was just stories. His dad was reluctant to tell him much of anything about Hogwarts, as he had forgotten that part of him a long time ago.

Until now, he hadn't admitted how big of a deal it would be. Whatever house he was sorted in would be where he would stay for the remainder of his time at Hogwarts. It's where he would make friends, it would be the people who would help him when he needed it, and it would be the house that would define him. It would give him a place to truly belong.

He wasn't sure exactly where he would belong, actually. He was terrified. He wasn't cunning or especially bright. He enjoyed pranks and joking around to ever be fair and just, and his wobbly knees gave away the fact that he wasn't even brave. Maybe he wouldn't belong anywhere.

Derek swallowed hard, gave a weak smile to Edwin and waited as the Great Hall finally settled down in preparation for the sorting.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Mon May 05, 2014 8:54 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Edwin Maxmillian Stanshall|Hufflepuff|Hogwarts

Hogwarts! Edwin was actually in Hogwarts! Edwin had not been very excited about it until now, he had always taken for granted this magnificent castle of a school and the fact he would go there when he was old enough, but now, to be actually in it! It wasn't just the exquisite stonework or masterful portraits that impressed Edwin, frankly he had little time for such things, but the air around him was thick with magic. It oozed from the walls and rose from the floor, and was practically stifling, although to be fair that could be the crush of students around him.

Edwin looked around him. The relatively small room they were in and the pep talk from the teacher made him feel as if he were about to go on stage. He looked around at the first years, and was glad to see almost all were more nervous than he. Even Derek, who had seemed rather cool about it until now, was anxiously fiddling with his sleeve. Edwin put his monocle to his eye, and took it away quickly. It was like looking into a torch. Edwin looked at it, and realized why: he had left it on it's magic detection setting, and in this place everything glowed white hot with magic. It must be all the protective wards, Edwin thought to himself. He thought about all the spells this castle must be under, but before he had thought too much about magical maintenance the doors opened, and the old teacher from before ushered them through. The ceremony had begun.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:44 am
KingLucifer says...

Alastair Valji - Slytherin

The giant doors opened and the room was bigger than anything than I had ever been in. The ceiling was like the night sky in which they had arrived, candles floated in the air. Then there was the people inside that filled the room it was packed with more people than I have ever seen in one place before. At the front was the woman who I couldn't remember the name of, the lot of us shuffled forward until we were standing before her.

She had a dark patchy hat that looked quite dirty in my opinion, the room had been silenced as she put the hat down on the stool and it began to rip like a mouth and then it began to sing.

Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!

The whole hall burst into applauds before becoming quiet again. But the four houses played into my mind, Griffiondor the brave, Hufflepuff the loyal, Ravenclaw the wise, and Slytherin the cunning. In my mind, I think I most belong in Hufflepuff I think I'm pretty loyal. The woman appeared again this time with a thick scroll and this time she spoke.

"When I call your name, you put on the hate and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said.

She began calling names of people I didn't know and they put on the sorting hat then the hat shouts one of the four houses. I was so engrossed in the ceremony I barely hear my own name. I walk forward with a start and move towards the dirty hat and picked it right up and put it over my head and waited.

"Ah, I see the thirst for knowledge is within you a potential Ravenclaw? But then there's the loyalty of Hufflepuff, hmm but what I'm seeing most is,"

"SLYTHERIN!" the sorting hat roared.

Then the table farthest to the right shouted and clapped welcoming me into open arms, it might just be me. But I think I can truly have a home here at Hogwarts.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris