Young Writers Society

Escape From Rainbowland

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

Escape From Rainbowland

You and a whole bunch of other people are traveling and suddenly, a giant hole appears under everyone. You open your eyes to something you think is a hallucination. Rainbowland, home of the prettiest rainbows ever. Best place ever, right? Wrong. You've been here a month and already explored most of this mysterious land. The rainbows only hide the ugliness beneath. The flesh eating unicorns and the warrior gummy bears are on the island, hunting you.

Where you come in
Spoiler! :
You and the group of people are trying to find a way back home. You heard from a troll that there is a magical fountain called the "Wishing Well" and for a price, the well will grant your wish.

Beware though
Spoiler! :
There is another group called the Wishers on the island who is guarding the "Wishing Well". They are vicious and will do anything to protect their treasure, even if it means capturing you, or maybe killing you.

List of Creature on the Island
Spoiler! :
Dragon- breathes fire and steals shiny things for their treasure pile. Extremely evil and if you see one, hide.

Troll- these large creatures (though not as big as giants) are quite nice. They will tell you anything, that is, if you can catch them. Like leprechauns, they can disappear into thin air. These creatures are quite shy but looks terrifying

Leprechaun- they are quite small and fast. They can disappear into thin air. They hoard gold at the end of rainbows. I mean, it is Rainbowland after all

Unicorn- looks like an ordinary horse with a long horn on their head. They may entrance you to come near, but be warned, they eat flesh

Giant- One of the biggest things on the island. They live on the mountains and is said to eat any soul who is unfortunate enough to pass by.

Kraken- giant squids that live at the bottom of the surrounding oceans. They guard and make sure you can't escape

Dwarf- good blacksmiths but a rotten terror. Go into a cave and most like to get attacked by one of these dastardly creatures

Gummy bears- edible is not a word to describe these gummy bears. Different colors, their fruity essense lure you to your death

There are more creatures that you do not know what they are. Be careful!

Character template

Code: Select all
Character name:
Trying to escape or a Wisher:
Appearance:
Personality:
Weaknesses:
Other:

Rules

-Do not kill anyone off.
-No god-modding, no one is perfect.
-Respect others.
-Keep it PG-13.
-Have fun!
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:57 pm
Holysocks says...

Heckden

“Wake up, Hen, come on...” The sound of Nis's voice woke Hen with a start. Was it that time, already? “Hurry up, your watch starts in half an hour.” Great. Time to creep on some weirdos. Hen scrambled off his hard, unforgiving cot, and walked to the basin in the corner of the dark room. Nis had a candle burning, but it barely lit the entire desk it sat on. Hen splashed his face with the freezing water to help wake himself up... It worked.

Before he knew it, he had a skin of water, some bread, dried fruit leather, and was clipping his machete on to his belt, while Nis pushed him out the door.

It was still dark out. The sky had a slight pinkish glow in the East, but you had to squint to see it, and Hen still wasn't certain his eyes weren't just playing tricks on him. He reached the edge of the woods in about 15 minutes, and picked up his pace. If he wanted to be on time, he'd have to move faster. And he wanted to be on time. If he wasn't, someone would yell at him. And so he hurried through the trees, he's bare feet falling hard on sharp rocks and thorns, but he paid no notice.

As he drew closer, he slowed his gate. The last thing he needed was to alert the aliens to his whereabouts. He probably was a little late, but the one good thing about switch overs; you don't meet the person last on duty, only by chance would you. The leaders had said many times that the switch overs happen at a certain time, and that's it... someone comes out, someone goes home. And nobody's given away by loud whisperers.

He could see the camp now, and found a Lolly Pop Tree to climb, Which he'd never do if he were wet. Atop the tree he could see the camp clearly, but his purple pants blended in with the bark, and the pinky-red branches hid the rest of him. And he watched the aliens mill around, hoping something interesting would happen.
100% autistic

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:24 pm
View Likes
ulala8 says...

Deep in the Lollipop Tree forests -decorated in vibrant hues that could yet be seen in the dark of dawn- there was a hill. Within this hill there was a hole. The entrance was circular and neat as if dug by a rabbit. The hole delved deep within the hill and eventually plumed into a dome shaped room, concealed in darkness.

There laid a girl, arms and legs curled toward her chest and chestnut hair frayed about her sleeping form, upon a bed of grass and leaves, cradled in the frame of a broken bed. There were half demolished bookshelves and a broken furnace along the opposite side of the room. It had used to be the home of a solitary dwarf, but he had moved on.

The girl stirred awake, sweat trickling from her brow. Her fingers groped the bed as if to remember where she was. A strangled gasp escaped her lips as well as the death of a scream. Her fingers raked through her hair, picking out the grass and leaves nervously as if she were afraid to move or to breathe. She had only awoken from the horrors of seeing her beloved twin mauled by one of the gummy bears of this land. She let off another shaky sigh before bowing her her chin to her chest-- the horror wasn't real. Her brother was not here with her. He was safe at home with her papa and mama.

"Thank God..." she muttered aloud before a grumble answered her voice.

"So yer alive?" it was grumbled and hoarse. "I hope yer plump. I's starvin'."

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 am
View Likes
UshertheThird says...

Teucer (Wisher)

Night fell slowly on Rainbowland. The sun, the backlight of the sky’s great arching rainbows, sunk out of sight as the moon settled into its throne. Darkness descended upon the island, and the rainbows faded with the light, though the twinkle of the stars occasionally revealed them as a thin film stretched across the sky.

Nighttime did not mean quiet for Rainbowland. The island only became louder at night; the darkness beckoned the hungry creatures from their hiding places. In groups, the creatures slowly emerged into the open to travel or feed, and they could be heard rustling fallen leaves and jabbering in indecipherable tongues.

Teucer watched as another day retired from the island. He sat on the edge of the Wishing Well with his legs dangling toward the ground. It was warm on the island, but the stones of the Well were cold against him. Around the Well, the members of his tribe slept in small cabins and tents or under the stars. They were spread out across the meadow, surrounding the Well. He was on watch duty, and he kept his eyes open for any disturbances or signs of danger. There were countless dangers on the island, and it was his job to ensure that none of them harmed the Well or his tribe.

When Teucer peered down into the Well, he could see the depths of infinity. The Well contained the darkness of open space and the echoes of a thousand years. It was mesmerizing to look into the Well and see its black eye staring back. When looking into the Well, Teucer could sometimes believe he was seeing the sky. The Well stood silent while the island began to awake.

During the past few years, many members of his tribe had become more relaxed about their duty of protecting the Well. The Well had been safe for a long time, they reasoned, and there was no reason to continue to closely guard it from dangers that were entirely imaginary. Some of them even spoke of abandoning the Well to live elsewhere on the island, which was heresy. The Well needed to be protected. Danger--real danger--was never far from the Well; it lurked, waiting for the Well to be exposed to its claws. Teucer knew this, and he would not allow the Well to ever stand unprotected.

He heard a noise from the edge of the meadow. It sounded like footsteps. Without hesitating, he slid from the edge of the Well onto the ground and hurried toward the sound’s source. He would have grabbed his bow if he had a chance, but it was on the other side of the camp, so he went with only a knife. He passed the last group of sleeping humans and entered a grove of trees, where the noise seemed to have come from. He stood still, scanning the trees, waiting for the creature to move again. He heard a slight rustle, and he turned to find a large animal standing at the edge of the trees, staring back at him.

It was only a deer, he realized; nothing dangerous. But his tribe was always in need of food. He slid his knife from his belt and took a careful step toward the deer. The deer did not wait to be approached; it turned and ran away from the meadow. Teucer did not bother to chase after it. He walked back to the Well, empty handed, to continue his work.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 am
View Likes
Ciblio says...

Elizabeth Collins

I couldn't help but stare at the creature.

Deep, black eyes. Claws as long as my own torso. But yet, it had something...different. It's head looked as if it were carved from hard candy.

This was just a dream-another nightmare. I wasn't really in this world made of...candy.

There was a grunt, then stomping. I felt as if I were going to fall.

And then there was screaming.

A girl.

People.

It was drowned out by the whispering.

Who was whispering?

Nobody, it seemed.

"Hello?! Are you crazy? RUN!" The voice broke through, and I was lurched forward.

My whole body lurched every other second, and I suddenly realized what was going on.

I got control of my body again, and ran the opposite direction of the creature that had been towering over me.

A few other people, I'd forgotten their names, were ahead of me, looking behind them every few seconds, I guess making sure I was still there.

We ran, and ran, till our hearts were beating a mile a minute.

We'd lost the monstrous thing at some point while we were running.

"You could've gotten yourself killed!" One of them spat, once we caught out breathes.

I nodded once, and wiped my face.

Were we really here? No, no this was just another one of my crazy dreams.

There was a guy, and two girls with me. I didn't have a clue as to who they were, though.

"Give her a break. We gotta get back to the others. It's getting dark, and I don't think I wanna stay out during dark again." One of the girls said quietly.

So, we took off again.

They probably thought I was a freak, who almost got them killed, as well as me.

Hmph.

I just wish that I could say something to them. I just wish that I could...talk.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

317 Reviews

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:15 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

Jessica Bone

I was doing my regular shift. Which was basically walk around in circles. I was awaiting the return of the group that was looking for the Wishjng Well. I just hope they don't run into the Wishers. And then the memory hit.

"Jessica, come on. This horse has a horn on its head." whispered April. She was nearing the horses. They didn't see us and were eating something red. My best friend was literally all green in her get up.

I pleaded, "Fine April. I'll stay here. I have-" "You have asthma. I know. I'll be quick," she said.

I glanced back at the group I was in and gestured to April. She saw and went towards them. One step and then the other. Finally, she reached them and touched one. Then she screamed. The horse had attacked her. By the time I had stopped screaming myself, the horses had continued eating. That red thing was her heart.

Someone shakes my shoulder screaming, "Don't worry, stop screaming."

I look around and I'm back in camp. People look at me in pity, knowing what I'm going through. I smile weakly before passing out.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

-QueenOfHearts

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:49 pm
View Likes
Cailey says...

Liam Matthews- Exploring

"You couldn't gotten yourself killed!" I shouted at the girl and turned away. I could hear one of the others telling me to leave her alone or something, but I wasn't listening. My heart was pounding in my chest and I had my fists clenched angrily, trying to keep my blood from boiling any more.

"We gotta get back to the others," the speaker continued, and I blinked to clear my head and tried to take charge again. I shouldn't have lost control even for a second, but seeing the girl staring up at that monster with her face filled with terror... I turned to her now, she still looked frightened.

"What's your name again?" I asked her.

"Her name's Elizabeth," one of the other girls answered for her. I nodded, registering the name.

"Are you hurt, Elizabeth?" She shook her head and I placed one hand on her back reassuringly, then turned to the other two girls with me. They were young and all three girls looked tired and frightened, though of course they tried to hide it. "We'll go a little bit further, just to finish off the circle around camp. We know it isn't safe, but I just want to make sure there isn't some new danger we didn't even know about. It should be less than a mile to finish the circle and then we can go back."

"Are you sure?" one of the girls asked. I nodded and silently thanked God that I had always had such a good sense of direction. Running from that... thing... had confused me for a second, but it didn't take long to reorient myself. I continued on in silence and the girls followed just as quietly.

"You know, we don't have to try to be quiet or anything. Actually, it will be better if we talk because anything lurking will know we're coming. Usually with wild animals it's a lot worse to accidentally sneak up on one." I hoped that would be enough to let the girls start a conversation between themselves, hopefully one I wouldn't need to participate in very much.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:42 am
Kanome says...

Nel Kaster

I opened my eyes slowly, seeing that I was in a different area than I was earlier. "What in the world...?" I stood up from the ground, seeing bright colors around me. I even saw rainbows in my presence. I felt confused, but the need to move forward. Last thing I remember, I was walking home from my job, then a sudden black hole came out of nowhere, swallowing me and others.

I turned and noticed small ugly creatures in my presence. "Ugh.. ugly little things. Like trolls.." I took one step towards them, but they took a step back.

I am getting slightly annoyed.

"Hey! Where am I?!"

The creatures looked at each other, then stared at me.

"If youse want to know where youse are, you needs to catch one of us." The creatures then ran off in the other direction. I sighed angrily.

"Damn it.."

I ran after them, feeling angry.

I just want to go home!
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

317 Reviews

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 am
lostthought says...

Berry Nice

I sit on top of the tree. It's had yellow leaves and smells a bit like lemon, my personal favorite. My leaders reprimanded me for eating the gummy bears again. I mean, what's the use of having edible creatures of you can't eat them? A friend of mine has a uniform for a pet. A unicorn for crying out loud! And I get in trouble!

I pat the branch. It shakes a little and then breaks. Just before it does, I leap up and grab the branch above. I watch as the other branch falls to the floor and crashes. I'm lucky I felt something wrong with the branch. I'm stuck up here until my punishment is over. Unfortunately, my punishment lasts another hour.

The hour is up and the sun is about to set. I run into the camp right before the door closes and the creatures come out. I glance once at the Wishing Well. After seeing that it was ok, I ran into my hut. Good night and don't let the dragons bite....
-Pompadour

-QueenOfHearts

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 pm
Holysocks says...

Heckden

Night fell, and so did rain. The thick drops startled Hen out of his daze. Panicking, he tried to slide off the tree, his hands stuck to the branch he was sitting on. Dangling five fee in the air was, let's just say, not terribly fun. How to unstick the unstickable... he didn't dare cry out for help.

Six or seven loud minutes passed, as he tried to kick the branch hard enough to break it. He stopped and closed his eyes. His hands were burning, stinging, as if someone had peeled off the skin. That would be useful. He mused, if only I could leave my skin behind... Sadly, there was no way to ditch his skin. So he hung, listening to the rain pound on his back. A drop of something much thicker landed on his neck. He turned to look up at the branch, his heart thumping. The was enough rain, that it was making the candy drip.

Hen lifted his fingers as best he could, letting the water droplets seep between the candy branch, and his palm. Slowly his hands began to loosen.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," he whispered. There was just a small patch on each hand that was still stuck. Gravity wasn't going to play nice today, unfortunately, and Hen got his previous wish; for his skin to come off.

He tumbled to the ground hitting every small branch, and bashing his shoulder against the tree root and letting out a shout of pain, when he landed,

His eyes blurred, his shoulder throbbed, he couldn't tell if it was candy melting down his hands, or blood. He got up, thinking he might taste his fingers to find out, but look up from them instead to find someone staring back. He jumped, and barely dodged hitting the tree again, but at the same time his heel caught on the root, and he fell, again. Now he was at the mercy of the aliens. Hen cursed, why did they still send him on these jobs?!
100% autistic

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:36 pm
Ciblio says...

Kalen

The floor was hard, and smelled of dirty feet. I lay there, waiting for my shift to get here.

"It's not what you think, Kal! Just give it a try.." Christopher urged, shoving the cancer stick in my face.

Sighing, I pushed it away. "I told you..no."

Chris took one of my hands, and held onto it. "..do it for me?"

As I looked away, I thought: "What the hell am I doing?"

"Kal, baby, please..just try it. Just this once. I won't ask you to ever try it again. I promise."

His voice was annoying, so annoying.

Without thinking, I snatched it from his hand, and took a big long puff.

Pulling away, I coughed several times. The taste of it lingered in my mouth, as Chris pressed his lips against mine, throwing the cigarette on the ground in the process.

He slid his hand up my shirt, and trailed his finger down my spine, forcing me to shiver.

His mouth tasted of alcohol, and tobacco.

I pulled away from him, and wiped my mouth. "I can't...do this."

"Don't be ridiculous. We're in love."

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no...no.

I didn't want this. I wasn't happy. I wasn't in love.

I went to walk away, but he grabbed my wrist, and pulled me back to him. "Where are you going, Kal? All that you need is right here."

I shook my head, and jerked my arm away from him, then took off into the dark streets.

"Kalen, you there? It's your shift, right? Hey!" Someone's voice sounded in the small log house.

I sat up immediately, searching for the source of the sounds.

My eyes landed on a fit, shaggy haired guy. "Damn, are you deaf or something? I've been here for about 10 minutes, trying to get you up."

"Huh. Is the sun down?" I asked, picking myself up off of the hard floor.

"No, but it will be soon. You're supposed to be down at the well, not sleeping. I had someone else take over your shift until you were up."

I growled, and pushed past him, making my way up to the wishing well.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm
View Likes
Dutiful says...

Valerie - Wisher

From her spot at the far end of the group, just before the entrance to the forest, Val could see everything. A bunch of people were already fast asleep, and a scattered few chattered away, laughing and really enjoying their time. None of them even so much gave a fleeting glance at her, and she was used to that.

Valerie Faye was used to being alone. She'd been alone for nearly fifteen years of her life, before she joined the Wishers in guarding the Wishing Well. And she was okay with that.

It wasn't like she loathed company, she was just one of those people whom one found very hard to hold a conversation with. Having been raised all by herself in complete isolation didn't really make her the most social person of the lot.

In fact, she'd hardly ever spoken anything to anybody in the group since she'd joined them. At first, people were only too eager to talk to her, but once they realized that she wasn't a 'people' person, they've left her alone.

It wasn't like she wanted people to go away from her. They just did, without even talking to her. She'd once heard a girl whispering to her friend as Val had passed by, "She hates everyone, I heard. Thinks no one is worth her time. Did you see the way she looks at us? Like we're nothing..."

And honestly, Val didn't even remember seeing her, let alone talking to her. She hadn't realized she gave off the vibes of a person who didn't like to be bothered. And when she'd found out, it was too late to even try and talk to them. They seemed to prefer staying away from her.

Val tied her long hair into a bun above her head and started picking on her bow and arrow. Instinctively, she started talking to them, "They're my family now, they're all I have. But what use is that when nobody wants to even walk beside me?" She gave a curt nod to the other Wishers and stared solemnly at the bow and wished it would just talk to her.

'They're coming.'

Her head shot up at the sound of that voice, a shiver running down her spine. For weeks now, that voice seemed to be following her, spooking her by repeating the same dialogue over and over again, She couldn't seem to locate the owner to whom the voice belonged, no matter how hard she'd tried. At first, she was terrified she was going mad, but now she merely acknowledged it with a small snort.

'They're getting closer!'

Val sighed and whispered back, "You've been telling the same thing over and over for more than two weeks. You never elucidate, nor do you show yourself. How am I supposed to act without knowing what it is that I'm supposed to be acting against?"

There was a long pause and she resumed back to staring solemnly when the voice reappeared,

'Humans! They're coming for the Well. You have to warn the others. Run!

She scrambled to her feet and strained to listen for any sounds within the forest. The forest was the only way the Well could be approached.

In the distance, she heard a male voice yell something, and that was enough for her to know that she had to alert the other Wishers.

She looked around, searching for anybody who didn't seem to be asleep and in a group. She knew if she approached a group, she'd end up humiliated.

At the far end of the clearing, her eyes fall on the leader of the group, Teucer was his name. She broke into a light jog and made her way towards him. He seemed to be watching the trees intently as if he too had heard the humans.

"Teucer?" she asked as she approached him. He didn't seem to hear her at first, but then slowly turned towards her, his eyebrows crinkled at the center. As his dark eyes landed on her, surprise filled them. Surprise that Valerie actually approached someone to talk. Around her, she could hear several people whispering the same.

She leaned towards him, standing on her tiptoes and whispered, "Humans, they're on their way. I heard them. We have to be prepared--"

No sooner had she uttered the words, Teucer was on his way, barking orders and asking everyone to be prepared.

Valerie drew her bow and positioned the arrow just as she heard the voices reach closer to them.

Around her, everybody was ready. They'd do anything to protect the Wishing Well.
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White