z

Young Writers Society

We are MarsOne DT

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 am
barefootrunner says...

Hello and welcome to the MarsOne plotting space! Here is the quick link to the SB:
We are MarsOne SB
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue May 28, 2013 1:02 pm
View Likes
DragonGirl11 says...

Checking in!
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 pm
View Likes
JonQuill says...

Okay, I'm new at this, so I might just sit back and watch how this all goes down for a little.
Blow your mind -- smoke gunpowder.

304 Reviews

Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

Hi everyone! @JonQuill, it's all cool. We're just gonna play around here, chat, ask questions, plan out relationships and the like. With the profile in mind, just remember that the SB starts when the entrants get accepted for testing, so Dorian's fight will only be beginning :)
I'll start it off with some fun facts on Mars :) just to get everyone into the spirit!

Mars is about half the diameter of Earth and 10% its mass.

Its gravity is 37% of Earth's — you can jump 3 times higher on Mars. However, the human body is an amazing machine — your muscles will atrophy due to lack of resistance in space, so you will be much weaker to compensate.

Mars contains large amounts of water ice under the surface.

Mars' atmosphere is 95% CO2. Its air pressure is 1% that of Earth.

Mars is icy cold at an average of -80°C, but in summer, the equator can reach up to 27°C. Wind speeds reach 100 mph and create huge dust-storms that sweep the entire planet.

Mars has the highest mountain known to the solar system, Olympus Mons, which is also a volcano. Mars still has some minor volcanic activity.

Mars has two moons :) It's way more romantic.

A day on Mars is roughly 24 hours, but a year is about 686 days long! It has seasons like Earth, but they are more variable due to orbital eccentricity.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 am
KatKage says...

Checking in! XD *is really excited about this o3o*
I am a Leaf on the Wind,
Watch me Soar
~
Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel,
Kyrie Eleison through darkness of the night

304 Reviews

Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 am
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

The tension between your characters is perfect :) especially when they get crammed into a little spaceship together!

Annabeth is very innocent, but Lansdorp adores her and if she smiles and asks to attend a training class, he'll let her, almost without thinking. It's not really Annabeth manipulating him, but rather Lansdorp being as soft as a marshmellow when it comes to his daughter.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 am
Wolferion says...

We have 2 guys in first team, perhaps it'd be nice if we made it male:female 2:2 in the first team? We'll be stuck there for quite a while till 2nd team comes, not to mention we don't know yet what exactly happens, but it'd be a fine mess that we have to survive in :D
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

304 Reviews

Wed May 29, 2013 7:33 am
barefootrunner says...

Good idea, but it's all up to the others and what they're planning. In the perfect team, there'd be many different nationalities and levels of English, as well as an even distribution of genders. In training, the non-English speakers get language lessons which I think could be hilarious if anyone wants to play a proud Frenchman :D

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed May 29, 2013 2:48 pm
KatKage says...

barefootrunner wrote:The tension between your characters is perfect :) especially when they get crammed into a little spaceship together!

Annabeth is very innocent, but Lansdorp adores her and if she smiles and asks to attend a training class, he'll let her, almost without thinking. It's not really Annabeth manipulating him, but rather Lansdorp being as soft as a marshmellow when it comes to his daughter.

Ah, I see. Awesome! XD Tis gonna be some good plot! o3o

And I edited in the final profile for Annabeth X3 *Is all good to go XD*
I am a Leaf on the Wind,
Watch me Soar
~
Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel,
Kyrie Eleison through darkness of the night

304 Reviews

Wed May 29, 2013 3:26 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

Great job, @KatKage!

I think we need at least one more character to round it off. I suggest we start the SB on Monday!

Feel free to invite your friends to join up, especially if they're not usually SBers or if they've got writer's block :) SBs are always great for that.

13 Reviews

Thu May 30, 2013 8:10 am
JonQuill says...

So, if we're starting this on Monday, should we begin discussion what in fact goes wrong on the first mission? I feel like that is the most important plot aspect to figure out. I'm just going to suggest something to do with a vicious race of alien monsters that have forced the first team into hiding... just cause that could maybe be interesting, whatever if you hate it, at least the ball is now rolling :mrgreen:

304 Reviews

Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 am
barefootrunner says...

Okay, we can take suggestions on that :) We now have firstly aliens. I suggest a rival team from NASA has also landed and sabotaged the mission. Turf war!

13 Reviews

Thu May 30, 2013 9:09 am
JonQuill says...

Interesting idea, I can see where this could potentially take us. But I just think sabotaging the MarsOne mission is a rather petty thing for a big company like NASA to do. I mean, both these companies need to portray intelligent and respectable images in order to ensure the continuation of sponsorship funding. I also think it would be hard for NASA to plan a separate and unexpected exhibition to Mars, considering the billions of dollars it would cost to do so. It just seems like MarsOne would notify NASA or vice versa, and they would organize to annex different parts of the planet, or even just work together in the name of humanity. I’m not saying it HAS to be aliens… perhaps just something a little more unexpected and shocking. I mean, aliens is probably as cliché as you can get, but maybe we can add our own little twists? Maybe the sabotaging expedition is a team of invading aliens from another solar system? Haha, now my imagination is just running away and over the moon… and out to Mars..

304 Reviews

Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 am
barefootrunner says...

No, that's a great idea! There are currently aabout six human rovers and orbiters whizzing around Mars, so I think an alien residential race would be found quickly, but rival alien settlers would be so fun!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 am
View Likes
Wolferion says...

I believe the most intriguing option would be settlers of Mars that are currently underground and are far more advanced than we are. We'd go with the option that there was life on Mars once, there is water, after all, and its rotation speed could have been better in the past = had atmosphere => could have had some form of life. Given the Mars we know right now, it's got a disastrous surface, but what about under the surface?
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy