z

Young Writers Society

Zharia: City of Ruins DT

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm
Firestarter says...

Hi all, this is the thread for discussing Zharia: City of Ruins.

We won't start until we've got enough characters, and feel free to use this thread to sketch out ideas and generally ask questions about the setting and the plot.

I'll be posting some more details of the merchant consortium and the powerful artifact soon.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 pm
Firestarter says...

Although Griffinkeeper chose his character to be part of the Silversword Merchant Consortium's men, that's not necessary whatsoever. In fact, I'd recommend against it! I have a plan for the first post, and it'd be better not to be part of the Consortium's cohort.

Your character can simply be somebody hired by the Consortium for this mission. So all you need is a reason why they'd be interested in travelling to the incredibly dangerous ruins of Zharia -- money? fame? to unravel secrets of their own?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:58 pm
Rydia says...

I'm in, profile to follow soon. Am I best sending it to you first or posting it in the thread to await moderation?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:03 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I want to join, but I have the same question as Heather. ^^

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:47 pm
Firestarter says...

Go ahead and post, if there's any problems I'll contact you!

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

You said to PM for consideration of other races; I'm wondering if orcs are okay? Not LotR orcs, but Warcraftish orcs: tall, sturdy, short tusks, green/brown skin, a ridge of fur down the spine. He would be hired as "muscle", guarding the caravan at night and helping with any heavy lifting sort of work.
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

377 Reviews

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Character proposal :)
Spoiler! :
Name: Kahlak'tisht (Kahlak for short)

Race: Orc

Class/occupation: Guard/fighter

Physique: Tall, big boned, well muscled

Appearance: Humanoid; bipedal, two deep set eyes and a hanging brow. Two short tusks protrude from either side of his mouth. His teeth are tapered to points, accustomed to ripping and tearing flesh. Large hands with multi-jointed fingers. His skin is rough and hardened, dark brown from years in the sun; a ridge of hair runs down his spine from his nape to lower back. His feet are gnarled, widespread with long toenails; he wears no boots.

Weapons/equipment: Standard orc-issue wooden club with spikes. Whilst their multi-jointed fingers allow for dexterity, they are trained never to learn their potential, thus awkward with finer weapons.

Skills/abilities: Kahlak has extreme endurance, trained to hunt for days until bringing back a kill for the hive. Orcs, as a race, also have fast regeneration, meaning that wounds knit, scab over and heal in a matter of hours, as opposed to days.

Weaknesses: He relies on brute strength in fights, putting no thought into technique or prediction. He has fast reflexes but almost no ability to react to fast paced action. He aims to first maim, then kill. He has a deep weakness for gambling and drink; he works only to feed his obsession on both vices.

Personality: Kahlak is quite withdrawn and barely speaks. He has no loyalty beyond coin and has deserted a caravan procession before. He is rarely impressed by anything, but he can have a deep respect for a person who does impress him.

Background/history: The orc society is similar to that of an ant or bee; there is one queen orc and the male orcs are divided into hunter/gatherer, guard/fighter or mate. As a hivemind, each orc knows what the other orc has learnt, but is limited in his actions due to the orders of the queen, destined to work for her survival and approval only. Kahlak'tisht is an outcast, formally a guard/fighter orc. Either from a birth defect or strong will, he was able to break the Queen's compulsion and escape to free lands. He is not the first to do so, and he won't be the last. Over the last 20 years, he has been working mostly as a guard to caravan troupes.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:53 am
StellaThomas says...

Posted- I wasn't sure what timescale we were working on, I can change Merla's age appropriately :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

377 Reviews

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:25 am
View Likes

Yeah, I think 800 is a little more realistic for an elf, as opposed to 25ish, to be honest.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:41 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Any suggestions for my character? I'm trying to give a good story for him, so I'd really like to hear comments from my will-be-co-storytellers :)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 am
Sassafras says...

I should probably add this to my alerts.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:38 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Stella >> I'm not sure the age particular matters. This storybook is based on a world I created for a D&D campaign, and elves in that don't live as long as your character, but to be honest it really doesn't change anything! I really like your character so just leave it.

We've got a pretty good eclectic mix of characters, so I'm looking forward to starting.

We'll look to start later this week, before the weekend I think. I'll post a longish starting post and then we'll see how it goes!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I can definitely shorten her lifespan, no bother, but I'll leave it for now :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:57 am
View Likes
thestorygirl says...

I'm going to post a profile either tonight or tomorrow!
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:30 am
View Likes
thestorygirl says...

Okay I posted a profile! Tell me if there's anything I should change.
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

I would be a terrible novel protagonist.
— mellifera