z

Young Writers Society

Masked Resistance vs Aradian Tyranny DT

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 pm
Caesar says...

Sadly RF, it is my job as king to ensure there are as few loopholes as possible. I apologize for not handing you victory with a little explanatory note attached to it. There are always loopholes for those smart enough to seek them. Nothing is perfect. Only the foolish, narrow-minded and dumb see perfection.

I have covered the obvious bases. I leave it up to those who wish to infiltrate the castle to use their brains.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:49 pm
crossroads says...

The Butler sounds like a kind of person I'd like to see portrayed as a proper character..
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

289 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:56 pm
Caesar says...

Name: Ephialtes "Phil" Woods. To most, he goes by Butler. The Butler when speaking about him.

Appearance: Phil screams 'no nonsense'. The hair around his mouth (not quite a beard or a goatee, you know) is neatly trimmed, his black hair, imperceptibly streaked with grey, kept at an adequate level and trimmed every three weeks. His eyes are flint grey. He wears a black suit, always, perhaps even more so than the King, neatly pressed, cleaned and ironed, with a white shirt and gloves.

Spoiler! :

Skills: the Butler is a master water sorcerer. He spends most of his spare time researching new techniques, increasing his knowledge of the lore, and developing new techniques. Like how he acts and deals with situations, his power is focused on dealing with a threat or event as quickly and efficiently as possible, as the situation demands. He can proficiently use techniques such as ice and healing, and can exert his will over the element of water under most forms.

Personality: Like stated before, the Butler does not want nonsense. He was given a job, and his job is to make sure the castle and its denizens are working together, as a cohesive, effective team. He always gives second chances, and thirds if you have potential, but weeds out the unruly and the mutinous on spot. He will respect you if you respect him. He does not seek conflict but will wipe the floor with your ass if you seek it. When he's not working, however, (yeah, like that ever happens), he's very mild-mannered. He has a special bond with Jake and his daughters, particularly Anair, whom he's practically seen grow up.

History: Ephialtes is a cousin to King Jormungandr, though unlike the latter, he wasn't a blacksmith. His family was that of fishermen, and built a discreet fleet to trade with. Jake and his family built the various metal utensils that might be needed, and Ephialtes always had a door open, and a meal, for the Ashtaroth's. And also unlike Jake, Ephialtes had no high ambitions. He was content to sail the seas, and contemplate the beauty of the waves, and the foam pounding the rocky shore. He learned the basics of water magic from his father at age six, and has been learning since, whether from his father, his brother, or watching the movement of a shoal of fish on a clear day. At the age of sixteen, he was enrolled in the Aradian military, getting nothing out of it except for whippings and a powerful sense of order and discipline. When Jake ascended to the throne, he removed Ephilates, now a lieutenant, from his post, and made him the Butler. In exchange for the service did to him, the Butler has been keeping order and discipline in the castle ever since. He was even the best man of Jake's marriage with Garnet's mother.

Up for love:sure, straight.

Other: nothing at the moment!

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 am
Veni says...

LouisCypher wrote:Excuse me, Veni.

There is simply no way Jake will allow a captain of the guard to vanish, let alone join the rebels. The captains are all checked and screened. And there is no way your character would become a captain, with her background. It is simply not what Jake would do.

I can't believed I only now noticed.

Ah excuse me sorry when did I say she was a captain???? o.0

Anyway she plans to stay on in the castle and work from the inside. She is only the lowest kinda guard you can be.???

And what about her background would make get unsuitable anyway???

Oh my. I seem so horrible at this. *groans* I always am making mistakes.

Sorry Loyalheart for the mix up
Prodigies can very quickly learn what other people have already figured out; geniuses discover that which no one has ever previously discovered. Prodigies learn; geniuses do.”

― John Green

289 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:56 pm
Caesar says...

In your post, she's mentioned as a captain of some notoriety.

Her background would make her unsuitable because Jake is no fool. He knows the members of the rebellion are sullen young adults who want revenge for the murder of their families. A person like that -- no way s/he'd have a position of standing within the Castle.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm
crossroads says...

Hey. Just PM each other and agree on something like this: veni's character's been lied too for the purposes of.. Whatever. Actually, her parents WERE trusted, but they and their friends thought that the Resistance needs her so they told her that story to turn her against the King. Or something. And poof, no one needs to change anything, and Jake continues to be no fool ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author