Young Writers Society

The 13th Hunger Games---DT

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 am
ShootingStars says...

The Thirteenth Hunger Games:
May the odds be ever in your favor...
Have you ever wondered what the Hunger Games were like before Peeta and Katniss entered the arena? You're about to find out.

Here is where you're free to ask questions, type suggestions, and where I'll tell you everything you need to know about the Games, the arena, and so on.
Here is the official SB: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93292
Since I wasn't able to get on the computer this weekend, I've had a few problems arise. Most of these, however I already had a plan for but didn't have a chance to write them. I apologize for the long wait! :D
1. How are we going to decide on a Games winner?
A random drawing would be best, which I'll hold soon. I'll PM you about your outcome.
2. Should we start the SB at the Capitol?
I had this thought, but am afraid that it may go a little too slow. I got to thinking even harder and decided this: What if we broke everything before the actual Hunger Games into parts?
For example, there could be something like, "Part 1: The Chariot Ride."After basically everyone posts about their character being dressed up etc, we could move on to "Part 2: Training" and so on and so forth. Do you like this idea? If so, I'll announce the parts before hand. This way it speeds it along, but also helps develop our character and their allies until the Games.
3. What roles do the mentors play?
When you decide that your character is a mentor, you'll supervise a lot of what your District's tributes do before the Games start. For example, you give your two tributes pep talks, help decide on how to make them better, have a little say on their outfits and other things similar to these. This is exactly what Haymitch did with Peeta and Katniss. Once the actual Hunger Games take off, your mentor character will be posting from the large room where you observe your players on giant screens, and where you manage sponsors and their gifts to your boy and girl. Be creative! IMPORTANT FOR THE TRIBUTES: Make sure to include in your post gifts, suggestions etc. that your mentor gives. Play along, please!
Also, please note that if you are a mentor, you also have to follow posts about your tribute so you can include it. Let's say that my character, Reed is dying of thirst. When I post about the District 11 mentor, Kurr he is watching the cameras and the map of the arena and deciding how to get her water. He will attempt to get her sponsors' attention to purchase water. Just remember that you shouldn't send a parachute to your tribute every time they need something, because it's impractical that sponsors would have enough of money to do so. Items in the parachutes can become pricey, especially the further you get into the Games. If you are confused slightly, PM me and/or wait until I post from the point of view of the District 11 mentor.
Health, Hunger and Thirst Bars:
At the beginning of every post in the actual arena, you should have a spoiler including the Health, Hunger and Thirst bars. What they show are self-explanatory. These three things determine how much life your character has left ONLY IF THEY ARE A TRIBUTE, and they look like this at the top of your post:
Spoiler! :
Health: 100/100, Hunger: 100/100, Thirst:100/100

At the beginning of the Games, they will most likely be full, which is 100/100. How do you know when these stats change? At the top of all MY posts in a separate spoiler I will show your tribute's name and their new stat. Here's an example of a character post then what I respond with:
"Reed was trudging through the brush, searching frantically for any signs of a stream as her tongue begged for water. She glanced down at the cut on her leg she acquired from the bloodbath, and realized that she needed to treat it."
Here's my next post with the stats:
Spoiler! :
Reed, District 11: Health: 90/100, Hunger: 96/100, Thirst: 61/100.
This means that the tribute, Reed is being affected in the Health category by the cut on her leg, and in the Thirst stat because of her need of water. If any one of these bars gets to 30/100 or below, you're about to die. Questions? I really hope these are all clear enough to understand. :D
-----------------------------------
If you have further questions, please type them here. Thank you for your patience!
---Shooting Stars
Another thing I've been meaning to explain is the actual arena. Below is are a few pictures of the landscape so you can get a general idea. After this I'll post a comment with a description and more pictures, because it only lets me include three at a time.
Spoiler! :
Hunger Games SB Cliff pic..jpg
Cliff
Hunger Games SB Cliff pic..jpg (10.82 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Hunger Games SB Field pic..jpg
Field
Hunger Games SB Field pic..jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 492 times

Hunger Games SB Forest pic.jpg
Forest
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

37 Reviews

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:12 am
ShootingStars says...

More about the arena:
Spoiler! :
Hunger Games SB Lake pic..jpg
Large Pond
Hunger Games SB Lake pic..jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Hunger Games SB Mountain pic..jpg
Mountain
Hunger Games SB Mountain pic..jpg (10.64 KiB) Viewed 491 times

In the arena, the starting plates are positioned in a semi-circle in a short field similar to the one shown in the previous post. The cornucopia, across from the starting plates, is filled with weapons and other goods to help you survive. Around it are other lesser items that can be used for your survival. Behind the cornucopia is a small, grassy mountain range overlooking a giant river. To the left of the cornucopia is a forest, like above, that wraps behind the plates where you begin and even to the right in some parts. The further you go in the forest, the more dense it becomes. There are streams and small ponds located in there, along with game. Near the far right is a rocky cliff with a high drop-off on one side leading to what seems to be an ocean. Surrounding the cliff is a grove of trees, and the field. Close to the cliff and forest is a very large pond with plenty of fish, and trees stretching around the circumference of the bank. Be careful, though because some of the fish are poisonous. Plant life and animal life vary from different parts of the massive arena.
I hope this covers it!
---Shooting Stars
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 am
View Likes
PixieStix says...

I joined! Okay so I haven't really read the hunger games but I've heard alot about it so I may need some information...

So do we fight different districts?
All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie-dust!

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 am
VampireSenshi says...

it looks like Ryder will have a nice advantage in the wooded areas.... I haven't read the posts since my internet was down, is there a mentor for District twelve?
<YWS>
<NE1>

NIGHT is always watching...

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 am
Dragonette says...

Ok so we know the winner because of the random-picker thingie. But how do we know who is going to die first and second and so on? Obviously the tributes who nobody is playing will go first, but what about our own characters? Again, I think Stars should pick a number between 1 and 20 and we all have to guess what it is. Whoever gets the closest to the correct number wins and whoever is the farthest from the correct number has to die first.

Also, I like your idea about breaking the SB into different parts, Star! :D Do you think we should have a limited time on each part though, so as not to slow down? Like, for example, we have two days to post about the chariot ride before we move on to the next part, and six days to post about the training, or something like that.
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 am
PixieStix says...

Okay so We are voting whos in right? Im so confused...And whos winning?
All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie-dust!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:06 am
sunwater says...

Can we kill people that have no one writing for them because that would make it hard for people that are writing to remember a random girl from a district what ever. Because we forgot her she comes up and kills us and wins.

37 Reviews

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 am
ShootingStars says...

Sunwater, if everyone keeps track of their area and those near them, it should be fine.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 am
SirTobes says...

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
There is no such thing as a stranger. Only friends we haven't met yet.

Previously Just Toby

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 am
sunwater says...

ok and im way off on time like right now it 9:11 pm and the time of post is diffrent.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:21 pm
Jaden G. says...

WOW! I'm extremely excited about this one! EEK! The arena pictures are gorgeous!
At pixie2: It's basically survival of the fittest, you kill in order to stay alive. So basically yeah, you're fighting other districts.
"Oh please don't tell me you're archaeologists."

"Do you have a problem with archaeologists?"

"I'm a time traveler. I laugh at archaeologists."

~Doctor Who

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:09 pm
Justagirl says...

This sounds like it'll be an awesome SB, great job on organizing it all, Star :D
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

37 Reviews

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 pm
View Likes
ShootingStars says...

WE'VE STARTED!!! :D YAY!
The first part is "The Chariots". Deadline: Feb. 26

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 pm
SkyeDragon says...

Alright, I'm here, sorry it took so long, I'm normally not on for long on weekdays. So what do we do, pick a number?
Every great writer was once an amateur.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:19 pm
Justagirl says...

Just posted my first two posts. I liked your reaction to Bronze, Drag. Seems like Bronze and Nya could be good allies... ^.^
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes