z

Young Writers Society

The Troupe DT

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:56 pm
phantom of the potter says...

Comments, questions, and discussion for The Troupe goes here!
"The grasshopper!... Mind the grasshopper!... A grasshopper not only turns, it hops!... It hops!... And it hops jolly high!" ~Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:45 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Is my profile okay?
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

Random avatar

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 am

Yep. It's fine. Would you like Jessa to already be in the Troupe when the SB starts, or would you like her recruited at the beginning. If so, please PM me on how you want her recruited.
"The grasshopper!... Mind the grasshopper!... A grasshopper not only turns, it hops!... It hops!... And it hops jolly high!" ~Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:17 pm
*coco says...

I'm really interested in doing this. Can I be a boy character, even though I'm a girl?
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

Random avatar

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Yes, coco, you can be a boy. Storybook characters are not affected by your gender. Very rarely will you play yourself in a storybook.

Just create a character (like you would for any story) and post their profile on the main thread. If you aren't sure what I mean, look at the basic rules for storybooks here

24 Reviews

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:28 pm
Kelcia says...

I noticed you needed a guy, and this seemed like good fun, so... Mind if I hop in?

Spoiler! :
Name: Jedidiah (Jed) Houston. Mostly known as Houston.

Appearance:Houston has medium brown hair with premature streaks of gray at his temples and in his straight, stern eyebrows. He has a strong jaw covered in seemingly permanent stubble, and and equally impressive build - Tall and stocky, a decent combination. He tends to wear a simple neckerchief, to cover the scar where someone tried to slit his throat.

Personality: Houston is, unsurprisingly, very serious when it comes to working, or fighting, or anything that his life may depend on. He is rather mistrustful of pretty young women, as it was a pretty young woman who gave him the scar on his throat. Despite that, he is fairly slow to anger, which would surprise some, but makes perfect sense to Houston. Why pick fights, after all, when he's been in too many scraps already? However, this being said, once a good brawl has started, he loves jumping into the fun. Despite all this, he has a very soft attitude towards children, especially.

History: Houston was actually born inside a jail, and grew up accordingly; pacts, feuds, alliances, betrayal and fights were a natural way of things. He already knew how to fight, how to stay alive, and how to think on his feet when he was little older than six. When he was fifteen, his mother was released from jail, and him with her, whereupon she kicked him out of her life; she would have enough trouble feeding herself, let alone a nearly grown boy. After all, she could always resort to whorehouses for employment; he could not.

So, after picking the pockets of the wrong people, he found himself in the stockade with other thieves, who took him in. He later found that they were not just thieves, but murderers, mercenaries, and a fully functioning gang. He rose quickly through their ranks, and was soon entangled in a world of gang politics. When he was just over twenty, he fell in with a young woman who, although he didn't know it, was a member of a rival gang, and was trying to kill him. She almost succeeded, but he managed to shoot her before she could successfully cut his throat. At twenty five, right before Mr. Roland found him, the same rival gang found him, mugged him, and left him for dead in the gutter. But that's where Roland comes in.

Crimes: Thievery (major and minor), murder, and gang involvement.

Up for Love: Yes

Other: Like I said, he's never gotten over the woman he loved trying to kill him. So, he really gets uneasy if any female person tries to get on his good side. He also likes a good cigar, which has given his deep voice a slightly rough quality.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

Random avatar

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:49 pm

I like it, Kelcia! come right in - feel free to start posting - Just put a note at the top of the post that your profile is in the DT.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:40 am
mizz-iceberg says...

I won't be here all weekend so I won't be able to post.
Happy story booking to the rest of you!
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

Random avatar

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:21 am

Okay, everyone! We are off to a good start, but now it is time to think about where we'd like this SB to go. I have some very minor plot ideas in mind, but they'll involve Roland's history and I'd like the SB to have more meat to it before I introduce a few new characters.

So - basically what I'm asking is if anyone has some "in the meantime" plot bunnies they've thought of? Or would you like to get the main Roland plot spinning. If that is the case, let me know.

Discuss!

57 Reviews

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:55 am

I was thinking that they could start getting stuff for the set and costumes, since Jessa's so darn good at wheedling things out of people. The play's sort of important, right? So let's get started with it!
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

24 Reviews

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:29 pm
Kelcia says...

And, since Houston is a major member of one of the down-town gangs (I really should make a name for them, huh?), they'll probably be wondering just what in creation he's doing hanging around with a bunch of thieves-turned-actors. Or, if they're fine with him being dead, he'll have to keep out of sight. It really depends. Maybe he'd go and check in with them, and cause Death to have another near-Houston experience??? Hmm...

But I like developing the play idea, and the Roland story.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Right.

24 Reviews

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:27 pm
Kelcia says...

Oooh, cool. What's on the list?
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Right.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 pm
*coco says...

Yeah, I think we should get on with the play. I'm so glad this isn't dying because I thought it would since no-one was posting. Anyway, I think that it's important that we also develop some of the character's - maybe I can explore Julian's past a lot more. I was hoping Kelcia could help me out here, since Houston is her character - but I was thinking that we could both explore our different gangs, since she mentioned on a post that Houston's gang has a rat in the Guild. Maybe that could develop some tension? Just a thought... :)
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

24 Reviews

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:23 pm
Kelcia says...

I was kinda waiting for ninjacookiemonster to post. Sounds like a good idea though!
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Right.

57 Reviews

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 am

Sorry, I sort of... hit a wall. So to speak. Heh heh... nothing you need to know. And I like this plan of which you speak; Jessa can be deepened tenfold right about now.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah