Young Writers Society

Out from the Sea DT [Applications Closed]

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:07 am
Elinor says...

Out from the Sea: Main Thread

As noted in the main thread, because of the nature of the storybook, I am taking applications to join here. There is no guarantee that you will get in, but here is what I will be looking for:

-Strong Conventions
(No Errors in Spelling, Grammar, or Punctuation)

-Character Quality
(Is your character interesting? Are they realistic?)

-Activity in Storybooks
(Are you active? Are you dedicated?)

Remember that this open to six people including myself.

Character Stencil
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Job:[/b]
(Navigator, Captain, Deckhand)
[b]Side:[/b]
(Black Market or Smithsonian)
[b]History[/b]
[b]Other[/b]

Once we've started, we'll use this thread for regular discussion purposes.
Last edited by Elinor on Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:48 am
Elinor says...

Name: Alyson "Allie" Brown
Appearance:
Job: Historical Consultant
Side: Smithsonian
History: Allie was born in San Francisco, California, where she grew up. Her parents earned a modest amount of money, and although she was basically rich, the expensive cost of living left her out from doing most things with her friends.

She first became interested in history in eight grade, when she watched a video on the April Hawk and Madeleine Grey in her social studies class. Afterward she tried her hardest and was able to get good grades to get admittance to Harvard, which she graduated from at the age of 26 after writing her dissertation on Piracy.

This is her dream job; she is honored by the government appointment and wants to everything she could to live up to it.

Other: Walks with a slight limp due to a go-kart accident when she was 19.

-- Walt Disney

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:47 am
ScarlettFire says...

I'm in. I'll be working on a profile and editing it in here when it's done.

Name: Amelia "Amy" Catto.
Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Job: Diver/Ancient Weapons expert.
Side: Black Market.
History: Amy was born in Sydney, Australia and moved to Russia when she turned 18. She's been working for a Russian mob ever since. She's undercover on this boat to get to treasure and moves around a lot because of her life style. Ever since she was a child, Amy has been obsessed with weapons. Anything from guns to ancient clubs and swords. She's hoping that there might be somthing interesting on the April Hawk. Graduated from Uni in Australia (24) just before she went to Africa.
Other: Up for love? Has a scar on her chest, starts from the left side of her neck and goes straight down the centre of her chest-she was attacked by a tiger while in Africa a few years ago.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 am
Sins says...

I'll give this a shot.
Like Scar, I'll be editing my profile now and then.
Is it okay if I add some stuff to the profile?

Name: James (Jax) Pasquilo

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Job: Deckhand

Side: Black Market

History Jax was born in England after his parents illegally immigrated there from Pakistan. When he was ten years old, his family were caught and they were sent back to Pakistan. They lived there for six years and experienced some horrible things. When Jax turned sixteen, he fled from Pakistan and moved to England once more.

After living in England until he was twenty one, Jax decided to move to the United States. There, he worked as a barman until he was selected to help find the lost treasure of The April Hawk. Jax was more than happy to find the treasure. Although, his intentions are to keep it for himself. He would love to use it to get his family out of Pakistan.

Personality: Jax comes across as very selfish and very cocky. He's very outgoing and always stands up for himself. Although, he does this an extremely obnoxious way. The reason he behaves like this is because he doesn't like anyone knowing his true feelings. He hides behind his rude, cocky personality. Jax is actually a very caring guy and when he gets to like someone, he is extremely protective over them.

Other Up for love. Jax will not talk about his life in Pakistan or his family.
Last edited by Sins on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:38 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Name: Azlie "Az" Maricope

Appearance: She is slim with died blue hair and dark blue eyes.

Spoiler! :
but minus the dreads and stuff in the back

Job: Oceanology intern

Side:Black Market

History: Az grew up in a seaside small town, so she's no stranger to water. Her parents were very liberal and encouraged her to be creative and spontaneous, and supported her decision to dye her hair. She is quite proud of her blue hair.She is a genius, but very modest, and she tends to be a little airy and forgetful. She loved animals, especially sea creatures, and got a three-year scholarship to an oceanology university at the age of 15.

She became an intern there and recently got a chance to go on the expedition. She, however, has always disliked museums, believing that they simply disregard the meaning of artifacts and don't put them to use. Therefore, she is all for selling them to make profit so long as the buyer will appreciate their value.She is also running out of money to pay for her last year of college, and needs more.

Other: Az is up for love, but you have to be her type. She's not a fighter, but is an extremely strong swimmer (she has set a few state records).
Last edited by ToritheMonster on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:13 pm
JabberHut says...

Name: Captain Daniel Albert Williker
Appearance: Funnily enough, he kinda looks like this kid:
Spoiler! :

Job: Captain
History: Dan's been in the navy for a good five years before he decided to stay on reserves and go to uni for an archeology major. He never married since he's always called back to the navy for some mission or another. This is his current project, to lead this group of historians (as far as he knew) to find a lost pirate ship.

He's a loyal navy officer who works for his country. He's quick to making decisions, the typical brilliant leader who doesn't waste time and can, many times, rely on his instincts. Off duty, he's much more carefree and laidback. He always enjoys a good beer with his mates and can be a flirt with women.
Other: Nope. If you want to know if he's up for love, he's clearly single. I'll let Captain Williker decide if he's going to fall in love with yours.
I make my own policies.

Reviews: 2
Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:08 pm
WalkInTheSun613x says...

Name: Shayne Fletcher
Appearance:
Spoiler! :
SDC13061-1.jpg
SDC13061-1.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Job: Deckhand
Side: Black Market
History Shayne was born in Brooklyn, New York, and grew up there until she emancipated herself from her parents when she was fifteen, for reasons she does not usually share. She then moved to New York City, where she attended high school and then went to NYU, majoring in business. As she was only twenty-one when she was picked to board The April Hawk, she never graduated from NYU. She doesn't know much about ships and treasure, therefore, she does not know why she was picked for her position.
Shayne is quiet, but when she does speak, she is straightforward and truthful.
Shayne has had a long-term dream of becoming rich and famous, or just to be noticed, for once. But naturally, her shyness has prevented all of that from becoming real. The April Hawk has finally given her a chance to grasp those dreams as reality, as she now dreams of taking the treasure for her own advantage.
Shayne may seem sweet and pretty normal, but she has a huge past hanging over her that makes her the shy girl everyone thinks she is. She doesn't share that past with just anyone, either, as she has trust issues.
Other Shayne is often mistaken for ages much younger than she really is, which has been a struggle for her in the past.
Shayne is most definitely up for love, but will be hard to win over (because of her trust issues, of course).

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm
Rydia says...

Gee, people really like female names beginning with A huh?

Name: Robert Nicholas Smith
Nickname: Smithy or Bob
Appearance: Well maybe he looks like this:
Clicky!
Job: Navigator
Side: He's leaning toward Black Market but could perhaps be persuaded to join the Smithsonians if the pretty boy asked nicely *points at Jab's character*
History Bob has spent most of his time on some ship or another. He grew up in a small fishing village and as a boy went out with the boats and came back reaking of fish. It wasn't much of a charm with the ladies but it was an alright life. Then one day, a ship dropped anchor at the docks and its crew stumbled into the pub. Bob was about fourteen and with his dad at the pub when the captain started asking after a new Deckhand. Robert gained his father's permission and immediately put himself forward. A few hours later he founbd himself leaving home. Life was one crazy adventure for a while. Since then he's been aboard more than thirty ships, some for a few months and others for a year or two. He showed an affinity for navigation at an early age and quickly became very skilled.
Other Some might say that Bob's only love is the sea but a more sensible person would observe that he finds the manly figure very pleasing to the eye. He hasn't done more than kiss the occasional male on those long sea voyages and he has slept with women so he doesn't completely shun the opposite sex but a good looking man always sends shivers down his spine.
Personality Robert's a good man. He's solid and generally reliable and until now he's been content with the adventure of sailing but all that treasure is very tempting. Robert doesn't want to live his whole life on the sea. In the past it might have worked very well when it was just men against mother nature and when it was a more common enterprise but in modern times the sea just isn't a home for a man. Still. He doesn't want anybody hurt which puts him in quite the awkward position and he always was a sucker for a good looking man.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:51 pm
Forestqueen808 says...

Name: Jake Lewiston

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Job: Navigator

History: Jake has always loved the sea, and has always had a fascination with travel and history. This lead him to work at the Smithsonian, become a navigator, and sail on many ships. He grew up in Florida, being close to the ocean all his life and going on boats frequently.

OtherIf love is allowed, sure!
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 am
View Likes
Octave says...

Name: Gabriel "Gabe" Slate
Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Job: Stowaway, but that's not really a job. xD
Side: Neutral as of the beginning
History Technically not even a stowaway because he didn't climb onboard with the purpose of staying the journey. He just wanted to check out the boat and see if there's anything worth stealing.

Gabe comes from a long line of thieves and normally, he goes for bigger treasure. Like priceless stuff you find in Museums. He heard the ship was a treasure-hunting one so he went in. He didn't know the treasure has yet to be found.

Other Up for love? 0o
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 am
Elinor says...

Okay! So I've decided to close applications, and after a lot of thought and consideration, I've decided who got picked and who didn't. Keep in mind that it wasn't an easy choice, and I looked over each profile individually and took everything into account. If you didn't get in and wish to know why, just send me a PM. Without further ado, here is the crew.

Spoiler! :
Captain: Daniel Williker (JabberHut)
Navigator: Robert Smith (Kitty15)
Historical Consultant: Alyson Brown (Elinor Brynn)
Deckhands: Shayne Fletcher (WalkInTheSun613x), James Pasquilo (Skins)
Stowaway: Gabriel Slate (Kara Hargreaves)

Congratulations to everyone that got in! I'll be sending you a PM with further details before we start.

-- Walt Disney

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor