z

Young Writers Society

Only By Night DT

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 pm
TexanWriter says...

Welcome to the DT for Only By Night. Please, post your profiles here. If you have any questions, ask away. We'll also have to discuss plot here later on, so check this thread often.

Link to Main Thread.

Pictures:

Not how the building looks, but how the landscape feels.
Mark Bishop’s Home for the Mentally Unstable
Interior 1 - Hallway
Interior 2
Interior 3- Bedroom

Please post your profiles here. I'm going to be really picky. If your profile isn't detailed enough I will ask you to elaborate, and if you do not elaborate, I will void your application. Please make realistic characters, and don't rush through writing your profile. I love detailed profiles.

Characters (not all have to be filled before we start) (only one of each):

Faeries:

Light Fairy – Brea
Dark Fairy – TexanWriter

Pixie – [unclaimed]
Elf – Mr. Knightly
Goblin – [unclaimed]
Vampire – ScarlettFire
Werewolf – phantom of the potter

Magicians:

Fire/Lava – Dreamy115
Water/Storm – Kara Hargreaves
Earth/Mud – kidashka

Humans:

Teenager – [unclaimed]
Child – PhoenixBishop

Remember, you play an inmate of Mark Bishop's Home for the Mentally Unstable.

Human Profile Template:
Spoiler! :
Name:

Personality:

Appearance (written description required):
Picture (optional, please spoiler):

Skills:

Weaknesses:

Illness:

History:

Up for love?:

Other:

Magician Profile Template:
Spoiler! :
Name:

Element:

Personality:

Appearance (written description required):

Spells (up to five):

Skills:

Weaknesses:

Illness:

History:

Up for love?:

Other:

Faerie Profile Template:
Spoiler! :
Name:

Faerie name: (the name they are known by in the faerie world)

Apparent age (how old they look):

Real age:

Species:

Personality:

Human appearance (written description required):

Faerie appearance (written description required):

Power (N/A if an elf or goblin):

Skills:
-Human form:

-Faerie form:

Weaknesses:

Illness:

History:

Up for love?:

Other:
Last edited by TexanWriter on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

Reviews: 4
Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:11 pm
Brea says...

I may post with a profile later on, if that is okay?

88 Reviews

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm
TexanWriter says...

Sure, just please do it by tomorrow morning. I can reserve a character slot for you if you're sure you'll join.

Here's my character:

Name: Heather Holmes

Faerie name: Jinx

Apparent age: 14

Real age: 93

Species: Dark Fairy

Personality: She keeps to herself because she’s afraid of people misunderstanding her. She cannot show emotion, but she feels very strong ones, being a hormonal, teenage fairy. She doesn’t laugh very much, and if she does it’s only a forced chuckle. Wants friends but thinks she’ll never have any.

Human appearance: Five feet, 6 inches tall. She has smooth, pitch-black hair that reaches just below her shoulder blades, with no shine in light. Soulless, soft green eyes that never have any life in them, and a gentle smile, which, like her eyes, is lifeless. Not a heavy tan, but she isn’t pale. Easy features and a delicate build. She looks like she’s seventeen.

Picture:
Spoiler! :

Faerie appearance: Four feet, five inches tall. Still pitch-black hair that reaches just below her shoulder blades, but it tends to frizz and tangle. Her eyes are pure white with no pupils, and always seem to be masking fear with hate. She has sharp canine teeth. Wears dark clothes when they let her. She looks fourteen and has black dragonfly wings.

Picture:
Spoiler! :
dark.png
dark.png (307.45 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Powers: Shadow manipulation – She can make a room or certain area darker and reverse what she does, but not lighter than it naturally is.

Skills:
-Human form: Is a fast runner and can jump up to two yards.

-Faerie form: Is a fast runner and can actually lift about a foot off the ground if she beats her wings hard enough.

Weaknesses: Isn’t very strong, and her wings are too thin for her to soar very far.

Illness: Derealization. Her mind became so used to the hallucination feelings that it has become permanent. She feels like she’s only watching her life through a dirty window. For her sight, things are hazy, dull colored and motions blur together, like on a television. She can’t show emotion, so most people think of her as cold. She constantly feels like she’s only a character in a story.

History: Her mother was a dark fairy and her father was a magician. She caught the Vex when she was forty-six years old – only a child. By then they had a rudimentary cure and it lasted long enough for her to get a better version. It was the second version that gave her her illness. Her parents died from the Vex when she was sixty-one, which would be about eleven human years. That also aided in gaining her illness. At sixty-seven she was brought to Mark Bishop’s, and has been here ever since, trying to feel.

Up for love?: Yeah, but her illness would have to go away first before she could feel anything.

Other: She has feelings, but she can never expose them, because reality is just pretend and she’s only a character. Grows frustrated when she feels a strong emotion but can’t express it.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:35 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Wow, Texan! You have really thought this out! The detail is astounding to me. I will most definitely post a profile tomorrow morning. *saves spot for elf*

Can't wait! I'll try and recruit some of my minions to the cause... :P
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

261 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:40 am
Mr.Knightley says...

Okay, I couldn't wait. :P Here's my profile (never done a female one before...):

Human name: Nicole Westenra

Faerie Name: Nicolasiana (Nicola)

Apparent age: 29-32

Real age: 987

Species: Elf

Personality: Nicola is very distant and vague. She often says thing that have no connection whatsoever to the conversation she may be having, on the rare occasion that she speaks at all. It's not unusual for her to completely ignore (or simply not hear) when someone is speaking to her. She spends nearly all of her time looking out the window of her room in a dream-like state.

Human appearance: Nicole is extremely beautiful. Her hair is white-blond, and her eyes are brown. Her face is narrow, but not haughty. Standing at five feet, ten inches, she has a regal bearing that makes her seem even taller. Obviously, her ears aren't pointed.

Faerie appearance: Still blond, but her hair takes on silver qualities in the moonlight. It often seems to shine with a light of its own. Nicola's eyes are a light lavender that is liquid-like. She is the same height as in her human form.

Picture:
Spoiler! :
elven.jpg
elven.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 238 times

Just with different colored hair and eyes. ;)

Human skills: Nicole is very deft with a needle, and, on the rare occasions that she comes out of her trance, often longs to hold one again. Her hands sometimes go through sewing motions without her noticing.

Faerie skills: Much like any other elf, she has incredible eyesight, keen hearing, and is sensitive to the movements of the earth. She can be completely silent if she so chooses, but it has been a long time since she last felt the need. She can run as fast as any elf, and has a quick mind.

Weaknesses: Despite all her elven skills, Nicola is not strong at all, and instead depends on her other skills to defend her. She is extremely sensitive (emotionally) to growing things, but flowers in particular. Oftentimes the sight of a single one can send her into fits of sobbing.

Illness: Nicola has Dissociative Fugue. It causes her to forget any or all memories of past. One in particular threatens every aspect of her life: the death of her husband. In her elven form, Nicola has no recollection of the death of her beloved more than three hundred years ago. In her mind, she is still living in the eighteen-hundreds, and is surprised at the technological advances that she occasionally sees in the present world. The memory she last had of her husband was standing at the bay window of their estate, patiently awaiting his return that evening. She had prepared a special dinner for them. Now, she is stuck in that day, endlessely awaiting his arrival.

However, she still remembers the events that happened...the day before, for example. To her, it simply means her husband is late.

History: Nicola never had any children with her husband, due to a medical condition that is uncommonly rare in the elven race.

Up for love: No.

Other: None.

I have a question, Texan. Do the human forms of our characters remember being Faeries? Our is it like two different people in one body?
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:02 am
View Likes
phantom of the potter says...

I'll take the werewolf.

Name: Toby Kent

Faerie name: Thorl

Apparent age: 16

Real age: 56

Species: Werewolf

Personality: Toby knows of his illness. It tortures him day and night. He desperately tries to overcome it, but is also torn between his instinctive trust and dependency on his voices and his desire to be 'normal' again. He is polite, courteous, and usually serious. He will sometimes develop a twitch in his fingers, lips, or eyes when he is straining to separate the voices in his head from reality.

Human appearance: He is average height, with dark brown hair. His stare is often very intense because of his constant struggle to maintain reality. He has very little muscle to his human form.

Picture:
Spoiler! :
http://makes--me--wonder.deviantart.com/art/Guy-121567129

Faerie appearance: He is muscular, lean, and sleek. He has dark brown fur that matches his human hair color. In his true form, he can still talk, but his voice sounds somewhat distorted.

Picture:
Spoiler! :
http://kahiro-suzuki.deviantart.com/art/Werewolf-142158435

Power: He has limited healing power, but it is next to useless. No one bothers to aim their time to get hurt in alignment with the full moon, after all.

Skills:
-Human form: He's a good sprinter in human form, and is quick to think on his feet. He can worm his way out of many situations if he's not in the thick of one of his bouts.

-Faerie form: He's incredibly strong, fast, and cunning.

Weaknesses: He is almost completely incapacitated during his bouts. It is all Toby can do to curl up and listen to the voices in peace. Physical barriers are a major problem for him in his human form.

Illness: Schizophreniform He suffers from attacks of hallucinations and paranoia. His hallucinations mainly are of hearing voices. Toby mainly hears either of two male voices. Sometimes there is a female. He always hears them whispering in the back of his mind, but doesn't necessarily understand what they are saying. His severe bouts of illness come when they begin to talk to him. Toby has an immense amount of trouble discerning reality from hallucination. When the voices begin to talk to him,Toby will often retreat into himself to avoid having the stress of two sets of voices talking to him in two different realities.

History: Toby's parents were both werewolves. They owned a sheep farm out in the countryside. Toby's parents caught the disease when Toby was 50. They survived a surprisingly long time with the disease, and when they finally passed on, Toby continued to tend to the farm. He first developed symptoms not long after his parents' deaths. Toby forced himself to continue on with his life for as long as he could, until he became too sick. Then one day, he woke up in a hospital and had been administered the cure. He was moved to Mark Bishop's a few months later, after having a particularly violent phase when he heard the voices for the first time.

Up for love?: Yes

Other: None.
Last edited by phantom of the potter on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The grasshopper!... Mind the grasshopper!... A grasshopper not only turns, it hops!... It hops!... And it hops jolly high!" ~Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:00 am
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

*calls fire mage*
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:50 am
ScarlettFire says...

I'm in. A few questions, only one of each? That seems a little unfair. But if you won't change your mind, I'll claim the Vampire since Werewolf and Elf are taken. (Elf being my first choice...) By the way, which profile would I use? The Faerie one?
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:36 am
Octave says...

Claiming storm magician.

*EDIT - I couldn't wait to post a profile. :p*

Name: Constantine Ballard

Element: Water/Storm

Personality: Constantine is a very easy-going personality. He's unfazed by nearly everything and takes all the lemons life throws at him in stride. He'll often be found lazing around in an almost catatonic state. He's a little delusional and treats everyone like a close friend or family. Has a pet name for everyone and always sees the optimistic side of things. In fact, he's so optimistic it's almost creepy.

Appearance (written description required): Bluish-black hair (yes, it's an actual natural hair color) and dark blue eyes. He's fair-skinned and tall, around 6'2". Medium build, on the smallish side of medium though. His eyes are his best features although he's an all-around good-looking guy. He often has the ghost of a smile playing on his lips.

Spoiler! :

Spells (up to five): (PM me if I ought to put names for the spells.)

1.) Can manipulate water into various shapes/move water around.

2.) Can bring on a storm, complete with heavy rain and strong winds that can uproot trees.

3.) Can summon weapons made of ice.

4.) Can turn the terrain into ice and manipulate it accordingly.

5.) Can use the water inside a person's body to manipulate him/her. (This spell takes a lot out of him though so he avoids using it unless completely necessary.)

Skills: Constantine is particularly good at endearing himself with others. He can jump pretty high and swim very well. Diving is also something he's amazing at.

Weaknesses: He sucks at climbing and rocky terrain. He also hates sunny weather and will do his best not to go under the sun.

Illness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia, but his is a combination of paranoid and catatonic schizophrenia. He deludes himself into thinking some things and goes into periods of time where he doesn't do anything. He just sits there and stares into space. He also hears voices in his head, telling him to do things he shouldn't. Constantine will often sit back to reflect what the voices are telling him. Sometimes they tell him the world is against him and other times they point out how happy the world really is.

History: Constantine is an only child, deeply spoiled by his parents. His parents were both magicians who tried to protect him from the world. When he caught The Vex at 12, his parents couldn't do anything - he had to be quarantined. All they were able to do was put him in a good institution and spend all they could for his meds.

However, even his parents eventually succumbed to The Vex. He was thirteen then. Both his parents failed to survive the medication. Constantine was then moved to the care of his aunt. He graduated college - surprisingly - and cared for his aunt for a few years. And then he killed her and her family because the voices told him she would go to a better place.

It was a sensational trial and he entered an insanity plea. Constantine was then sentenced to spend the remainder of his life at Mark Bishop's, with no possibility of being let out early.

Up for love?: Sure why not? (Although I'm not sure why you would want him...)

Other: His object is a single silver earring, which he dons on his left ear.
Last edited by Octave on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

88 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:48 am
TexanWriter says...

Wow, thank you all for joining! This will be great!

I'll edit which slots are available tomorrow (I'm on a friend's computer).

Mr.Knightly: First off, thanks for the compliment! Second, yes, they do remember. It's pretty much just a physical shape-shift, like in Swan Lake (but note I've only seen the Barbie version). Thank you for asking.

Scarlett: I only allowed one of each race to assure variety. If you would be willing two take on two characters, you could have the vampire and an elf. However, I'm trying to avoid a dozen elves, two fairies and no goblins. You can have an elf if you also take the vampire.

And yes, a vampire would use the faerie profile. Thanks for clearing that up.

Again, thank you all!

-Albert Einstein

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:09 am
ScarlettFire says...

So faerie apprearance would be her vamp side?

Thanks, I'll go fix that profile and edit it in here later.

Edit: Profile.

Name: Morana (Ana) Everard.

Faerie name: (the name they are known by in the faerie world) The Eternal One or Ancient One. (More a sign of respect than anything)

Apparent age (how old they look): Looks to be around 20-ish.

Real age: 2169.

Species: Vampire.

Personality: Morana is unusually kind for a vampire. Her kind are usually cruel, violent creatures and throughout her life, Morana has been the embodiment of this, but over the years she's grown lonely and sad. As a child of the night, she seems to be having trouble accepting the fact that her human is dying and that there is nothing she can do about it. She's refusing to feed and thinking about suicide-by going out into the sunlight.

Human appearance (written description required): Tall with brown hair and murky green eyes. Slim, athletic, pale with fangs. She's starting to look sick and weak because of illness.

Spoiler! :

Faerie appearance (written description required): Darker hair, red eyes-usually only at night or when she's using her powers during the day. She seems stronger and has a strong dangerous vibe if you were to go near her.

Spoiler! :

Power (N/A if an elf or goblin): Manipulation of shadows/darkness. (Can disappear by wrapping the shadows around her.)

Skills:
-Human form:
Fast, smart and manipulative.

-Faerie form: Minor mind reading, strength, faster then normal, etc.-All the usual vampire stuff.

Weaknesses: Sunlight, fire, the usual stuff and currently blood, since she’s weak.

Illness: Depression, PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder).

History: Born in Europe in the 1st century BC, Morana has lived a long, interesting life. At twenty she was turned into a vampire and has skipped through time ever since, sleeping for decades or centuries and waking up, then sleeping again. She woke up around 60 years ago and has only recently succumbed to The Vex. She’s been in the same room at Mark Bishop’s for about 15 years now.

Up for love?: Yes.

Other: Morana is refusing to eat (and yes, drink blood) because she’s depressed and has PTSD. She usually sleeps during the day-she has no choice.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:01 am
kidashka says...

Can i claim the Earth magician, please?
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

261 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:02 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Great! And that was a good idea to have only one of each race as characters; I know what it's like when you get forty of one and then no others. ;) But will our characters be the only one of the race living in the asylum, or will we be able to mention others (without drawing them into the story)?

Lady Gaga

88 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:58 pm
TexanWriter says...

Mr.Knightly: Yes, there are others. There are probably about 10-20 to a race in the asylum.

Scarlett: Yes, faerie appearance would be her vampire appearance, or how she looks at night. Also, I need to ask you to be a little more descriptive on her personality. I'm always scared to write for characters when I don't have a very good clue at how they act. Otherwise, great profile.

I love the profiles, guys! Wonderfully detailed. Great job.

Thank you all for joining! I hope this will be successful.

-Albert Einstein

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:34 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Name: Five January

Element: Fire

Personality: Five has a fiery and power-hungry personality (surprise, surprise). She tends to be very confrontational, unless you know her very well. She is unpredictable, going from a loyal companion to a bloodthirsty foe in seconds.She is also quite greedy, for her, too much is not enough. She loves going over the top, and has no mercy. That said, she isn't all evil. If you catch her in one of her rare good moods, she might help you, and if you can subdue her, she is a worthwhile companion who will protect you at all costs.

Appearance (written description required): Five has bright, fire-engine-red hair. Her eyes are a deep piercing violet that sometimes look blue, reddish, or black in certain lighting.

Spoiler! :
I'm not all that fond of this pic.... it was the best I could find for now. I'll continue later.

Spells (up to five): -Incanto: produces balls of fire in her hands that she can throw
Solara- allows her to control an already existent flame
Iridari- allows her to become enveloped in flames, a living fire person
Folera-allows fire to spring from her finger tips in a controlled beam
Shihashin- Allows her to create a protective field of heat around her, anyone who comes within it will be burned. Like a real personal bubble.

Skills: Obviously, she is very skilled with fire.She is also quick with a knife and is a fast runner. Not the best hand-to-hand fighter, although she can slap pretty hard.

Weaknesses:Water. She is completely terrified of it. She can evaporate small puddles, but anything bigger than that- she'll run for her life.She pretends to be not afraid of anything, but she'll freak if she's near water. She also tend to get herself in trouble with her loud mouth. Not a good hand-to hand fighter, and very spontaneous. Her mood swings sometimes endanger herself.

Illness: she is a manic depressant and bipolar, as well as ADD

History: Five was raised in an orphanage, and never knew her parents. She worked briefly with the circus when she turned 18, using her skills to "eat fire" and entertain the audience. She was mistreated often, and burned down the place when she was 19, killing and or harming everyone who had been inside. She performed as a solo traveling entertainer , a fire eater again,until she was thrown in jail for assaulting an audience member who didn't give her a tip and booed. She sank into a depression on her twentieth birthday and then sat on the streets for days until she caught the Vex. The medication worsened her already awful mood swings, depression, and inability to be still. She was then brought to the facility and has resided there ever since.

Up for love?:no

Other:
Last edited by ToritheMonster on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain