z

Young Writers Society

Wasted Discussion Thread

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 pm
TexanWriter says...

Claim characters, post profiles, you know what to do. Also, at night, when Malums are hunting, here's an example of what they wear. Girls. Boys.

Link to Main Thread.

Profile Stencil for Malums:
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Birthday:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Appearance[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Knowledge of the Old Language:[/b]

[b]Style:[/b]

[b]Occupation:[/b]

[b]Picture:[/b]

[b]Up for love?[/b]

Name: (Take this seriously. Once you turn fifteen you change your name to something really meaningful to you. Your family name comes first. Not things like Alice and Tom, right?)

Age: (13-30, please not all fifteen and sixteen and such. Seventeen is adult.)
Birthday:

Appearance: (try to cover at least height, build, hair, and eyes. More if possible.)

Personality: (at least one paragraph)

Knowledge of the Old Language: (none, basics, fair, most, fluent)

Style: (Walking style, talking style, etc.)

Occupation: (Apprenticeship starts at age 12, you start working at 15. List of jobs:
Common Jobs:
Crystal maintenance (recharging, turning on and off, etc.)
Rancher
Farmer
Weaver
Tailor
Welder
Etc.

Upper-Class: Law Enforcement
Scientist (discovering new crystal chemicals, new machines, plants, etc.)
Mechanic
Senator
Etc.)

Picture: Preferably no anime.

Up for love?

Profile Stencil for Humans:
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Birthday:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Style:[/b]

[b]Picture:[/b]

[b]Up for love?[/b]

Here we go! This is going to be fun!
Last edited by TexanWriter on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:00 am
Lauren2010 says...

Name: Rilyn Anianna

Birthday: May 17th

Appearance light brown hair that ends at her waist, she usually wears it up some way. She is the typical Malum in appearance. Has light green eyes. Likes to wear dresses she makes herself.

Personality: She's a hard worker and tries not to let living in the caves get her down (or the fact that she has to marry someone she doesn't love). Singing is a pleasure of hers, and she does so while she works. When she sings it is a mixture of the human language and the old language but her old language skills aren't very good. She tries to take the best of everything. Even though she doesn't love the man she will marry, she desperately wants a family and is afraid the humans won't allow her to have a child.

Knowledge of the Old Language: basics, and even then not very good

Style: Tends to wander while daydreaming and even though she is an excellent tailor she is also a clumsy tailor. Ends her days with pricks on her fingers and other minor injuries.

Spoiler! :
Picture: Image

Up for love? Betrothed to Kathon Arden

This'll be fun!
Last edited by Lauren2010 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Got YWS?

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:38 pm
In_the_Moonlight says...

Name: Lance Kaiden

Birthday: December 25

Appearance: 6'3, with a stunning lopsided grin that makes most ladies swoon. Lance has short dirty blonde hair, usually jeans and a t-shirt, or his government training uniform. His eyes, a deep mysterious, almost blackish abyss, make people skittish. He has a straight sturdy nose and muscular build.

Personality: Pessimist, observant, and ignorant. He can't figure out if he likes the Malums or despises them, all he knows is that they fascinate him. More will be revealed....

Style: He has a certain way of going about his business. Every so often he glances over his shoulder and keeps a knife concealed on his person

Picture: http://media.photobucket.com/image/blon ... 4.jpg?o=11 except his eyes are way darker.

Up for love?: Definitely, plus maybe a forbidden thing might occur.
Last edited by In_the_Moonlight on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I can impact one person, just one, with my writing before I die, then I've lived a great life

88 Reviews

Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 pm
TexanWriter says...

Thank you both for joining! And reading through that thing. It was longer than I had expected ;) Here's one of my profiles:

Name: Beggard Maika Isis (married surname first, maiden name second)

Birthday: March 3rd

Appearance: Short, cropped, dark brown hair and medium brown eyes. She has pale, clear skin. Slim and tall, a little over 5' 10". Not bad features, but she really has no body. Thin hips and no curvature.

Personality: A schemer, she always has a plan. That plan may be good or bad, but it will work. Loves practical jokes and pulling pranks. Doesn’t show her emotions very often.

Knowledge of the Old Language: Fluent, became the interpreture for her parents whenever her grandfather would curse them. :P

Style: Walks with good posture and flowingly. Has a good sense of balance. Speaks quietly but with bite. Usually holds a sly smile and a mischievous visage.

Occupation: Personal Crystal Maintenance (recharges individual and home crystals)

Picture:
Spoiler! :

Up for love? Married to... duh duh duh! Jessiah!
Last edited by TexanWriter on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:26 pm
Billy says...

Name: Tasou Archimedes

Birthday: October 9th

Appearance: He has shoulder-length, very messy brown hair and flat, greyish eyes. He is quite tall, and, as typical for a Malum, as thin as a twig. He wears very utilitarian clothes - if they help get the job done, or protect him against the extremes of the wastes, then he doesn't care whether they look good or not.

Personality: Highly inquisitive, with a veritable thirst for knowledge. He works hard, both for the good of his race and to slake that thirst. He's quite optimistic, believing that the humans can be reasoned with, and that they will soon permit the Malums to return to the surface. He is somewhat naive, though, and doesn't realise how deep the racial tensions run.

Knowledge of the Old Language: He can understand nearly all of it when listening, but he can't speak it quite as well.

Style: He has a habit of twiddling his thumbs or otherwise fidgeting when he isn't working, and this becomes more pronounced when he's nervous or agitated.

Picture: Need to find one

Up for love? Yes. Still tossing up whether that will be his betrothed or not.
Last edited by Billy on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt. - Yossarian, Catch-22

Wide-eyed stupid.

If you're gonna rule the world, you've gotta get up early! - Joel S. Dickens

88 Reviews

Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:55 pm
TexanWriter says...

For names, what I meant by "not thinsg like Alice and Tom" is when I search Most Common First names, I end up with Mary, John, Nancy, William... Uncommon names are better because they've been so shut away from humans, they probably wouldn't use the same names. You can make one up, like I made up a last name, or find a name that is pretty uncommon, maybe with an ancient history. Livia was Ceaser's wife, so that name would be old enough. We've been kept hidden since the tenth century. I'd just go with cool-sounding names, which for fun you could flip backwards and scramble or just leave be.

My character, being an adult, changed her name to one she liked. Being in even a distant contact with humans, we know more, including the names of Egyptian gods. Just go uncommon, and you're fine.

As for last names, remember the common sounds of the old language. Take them, add some, mix them up, and voila. You have a surname.

Thank you so much for joining!

Also, to future joiners, let's try to shake up the age range.

-Albert Einstein

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:50 am
In_the_Moonlight says...

Hey Tex? Is it okay, if my dude is very informed of the Malums. I'm thinking something like his parents were guards of the tunnels and so the torch is being passed down to him. Would that be fine?
If I can impact one person, just one, with my writing before I die, then I've lived a great life

88 Reviews

Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:01 am
TexanWriter says...

That'd be great! I like it!

Also, here are some basic words of the old language:

Spoiler! :
Baby Basic Old Language, what all humans will be taught

Goika (goh-ee-kah) – Hello, hey, hiya (formal-casual)
Sakoi (sah-KO-ee) – Goodbye (formal-casual)

O (oh) – Yes
Juk (juck) - No

Toke Lai (TOH-kay lah-ee) – “Thanks to you” (Formal)
Toke (TOH-kay) – “Thanks” (Casual)
Lai Canna (lah-ee cah-nah) – “You’re welcome”

(Lai – You)

I know, this sounds liike Jabba the Hut speaking, but it is what it is.

-Albert Einstein

88 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:17 am
TexanWriter says...

Here's my other character. Do you want him, Lauren?

Name: Kathon Arden

Birthday: February 27

Appearance: Medium length brown hair and even features. He has bright blue eyes that are glazed over half the time. Is kind of pale, but tall and lean, 6’ 1” in the evening.

Personality: Is a thinker, often coming up with the strangest questions, that can be strange just in their simplicity. A questioner. A kind person who wouldn’t hurt an innocent thing, so doesn’t go hunting at night. Would kill anyone to protect his betrothed, though. Always has a smile and a kind word.

Knowledge of the Old Language: A fair amount. Enough to hazard a guess at what the rest of the words are.

Style: Walks with his hands in his pockets and always stares straight ahead, unless he’s talking with someone.

Occupation: Quartz miner (quartz is the base for the crystals).

Picture:

Up for love? Betrothed to Rilyn Anianna

Also, if we don't get very many more characters, I'm going to make some NPCs that'll play a role. You could adopt them, if ya'll wanted.
Last edited by TexanWriter on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Albert Einstein

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 am
StolenHearts. says...

I'll make my two characters tomorrow!

33 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm
StolenHearts. says...

Here's my first character, lol she's pretty cool haha. I'll make my guy tomorrow!

Name:Sedonia Delasia

Birthday:September 13th

Appearance:She has curl/wavy dirty blonde hair that goes to the small of her back. Her eyes are a sunned teal with specks of dark green. Her body is small, not really curved but looks great.

Personality:She's very to herself, but she likes to talk to people she knows. She was the kid in the back of the class with a hoodie. Though shes pretty, she cannot notice and won't. She gets along with guys very well, and likes to laugh. She blushes when she sees something she likes. *cough* Hot guy *cough*

Knowledge of the Old Language: She's fluent enough to know what words are, She's great when their written on something.

Style: Normally has her hair up but on occasion she puts in down. She wears a equilibrium looking jacket if nobody's seen that than this She likes the whole slick look. She walks very smoothly and is graceful, at times she trips but she looks good even then. She has a stutter but it's not noticeable with people she knows.

Occupation:Mechanic, she loves working with stuff that makes sound. She imagines music out of her work.

Picture:Image

Up for love?Betrothed (anyone want her?) If not i'll just make it so she hasn't found them yet.
Last edited by StolenHearts. on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:14 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Texan: surely. :) Rilyn Anianna has a betrothed now :D

And a question...which name would they be commonly reffered to by? For example: Rilyn or Anianna?
Got YWS?

88 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:29 pm
TexanWriter says...

It depends. One is the surname (traditionally the first one) and the other the given name. Just decide which is which. When I saw the name, I figured Anianna was the name she goes by because it was second, but you can decide.

Wonderful characters, everyone. This will be so fun!

-Albert Einstein

33 Reviews

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:09 am
StolenHearts. says...

Name:Beggard Jessiah

Birthday:February 23rd

Appearance:Dark tan, very scruffy. Pitch dark hair, He's about 5"11' pretty tall. He's got a strong build but he's more like a teddy bear. His eyes are dark dark blue coming close to being black.

Personality:He's always been the joke of the bunch, he loves to smile. He's always trying to make girls laugh, simply because he loves to see people happy. He plays guitar and sings in his free time and enjoys reading and painting. He's an upbeat and naturally a positive onlooker. He likes being in crowds.

Knowledge of the Old Language: Basics, he would like to learn though.

Style: He slouches and shoves his hands into his pockets often but only when he's embarassed. When he sees a pretty girl he runs a hand through his hair and puts an adorable half smile on. He's a complete romantic. He's got a low voice that's soft and gives comfort when needed. He's a very loveable person.

Occupation:Welder, he's been one his whole life. In breaks he likes to see what he can make out of his work.

Picture:Image

Up for love?Married to his lovely little Isis (:
Last edited by StolenHearts. on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

88 Reviews

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:26 am
TexanWriter says...

Stolen:
...Yeah. I declare that he's Isis'. I mean, he's to old for anyone else, really... And she oculd use a sweetheart like that... Pretty please?

Everyone:
We start tomorrow! I say we have enough characters. Most novels don't have a dozen characters, and the only SB I've finished had a half dozen or so characters.

Here are some characters that you can adopt, no matter your current character count. If they aren't put to a good home, they'll remain NPCs that can play important roles in the story.

Spoiler! :
Name: Paul Evans

Birthday: June 12

Appearance: Sort dirty-blond hair with a receding hairline. Hazel-gray eyes and laugh lines. Always has a smile to reassure people that he’s the good guy. About 5’ 10” and an average body, is always wearing suits and ties.

Personality: Knows what he wants and knows how to get it. Is a leading business owner and is very competitive, but can still be a father to Jaycee. Isn’t heartless, just determined to advance the human race through Malums.

Style: Serious and professional, walks with perfect posture and his hands behind his back. Always looks you in the eye when talking to you.

Picture:

Up for love? Naw.

He’s one of the major peacemaker type dudes, one of the ones who is really trying to make an alliance with the Malums and get access to their technology. He would be after the crystals, but Malums are forbidden to let humans know about those because it could be dangerous.

Spoiler! :
Name: Jaycee Evans

Birthday: November 14

Appearance: Short, emo/punkish blond hair. She uses a lot of black eyeliner around her bright green eyes. A devilish smile that reveals perfect teeth, and wears a black trench coat just for the heck of it.

Personality: When she’s aloud to have fun, she’s the kind of person who you’d wonder if she’s right in the head. Loves to poke fun at clichés and use weird voices, and does it so often, she sometimes wonders who she really is and what her real voice sounds like. The only time she’s serious is when she’s alone or in the presence of her father, a committee, or anywhere else where professionalism would best suit her to get what she wants.

Style: Theatrical and humorous, often walks like a spy, little girl, drama queen, whatever. You get the idea. Likes being a dork because she was raised to be so perfect.

Picture:

Up for love? Yesh.

Spoiler! :
Name: Aiko

Birthday: September 1

Appearance: Chin length, layered, auburn hair with a bit of a wave. Clear, dark eyes, and a flat nose. A sweet smile. 5’ 4” and an average teenager’s body.

Personality: Is determined to make it by herself, and so does everything she can alone and often refuses help. A very honest person, though, who wouldn’t steal to save her life. Okay, maybe in a lethal situation, but otherwise? Nuh-uh.

Knowledge of the Old Language: Only the very basics.

Style: Nothing extraordinary, she really just is. The quiet type, goes about her work speaking only when spoken to.

Occupation: The Urchin. She does odd jobs, like delivering things. Hopes to earn an apprenticeship.

Picture:

Up for love? Uh, no. She’s thirteen.

Some say she was illegally born, others say her parents died somehow. Either way, she’s the urchin, the Sakanoi, who does odd jobs for her dinners. Everyone knows her, but no one really does.

Spoiler! :
Name: Lycoina Ezekiel

Birthday: April 7

Appearance: Medium-length gray hair that’s black at the roots, and a full, curly beard of the same colors. Dresses in traditional clothes. His eyes are the deepest blue ever, but still wise and knowing.

Personality: Soft, fatherly, and gentle. A good listener and a better secret keeper; people often go to him to spill their problems.

Knowledge of the Old Language: Knows it better than most people who are fluent.

Style: Slow and steady, but can still run/be hasty if he has to.

Occupation: Senator for the Assembly (Malums personal democratic government) and teaches the old language on the side.

Picture:

Up for love? No, still in love with his deceased wife.

-Albert Einstein

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare