z

Young Writers Society

A Time Before Galbatorix Discussion

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:13 am
FinalFreedom says...

Alright, here you all are. A discussion thread!

To start out the discussion, I have a question. Are we going to be aimless characters, just living how one would in the world of Alagaesia, or will there be a set plot?
Anti-Peta.

"In Vabbi , I was ambushed by six of them! They wielded blunt wooden sticks and were hissing at me about overdue fines... Bandits? Oh, no. These were library envoys."

-- Vael/Nathanael, Guild Wars: Eye of the North

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:10 pm
Reyu says...

There may happen, events in Alagaesia, that will require the attention of Dragon and Rider. Other characters have no such obligations. Dragon Riders are the chosen defenders and must act accordingly.

Newly hatched Dragons, and their Riders, are left to their own devices until the Dragon is large enough to carry his Rider upon his back. Then the training begins. I will create a character that is your teacher and from there you may control the NPC and learn various things. I reserve the right to randomly control this character and post my own "training session" stories. You may come out bruised, but generally you will have learned something from the experience.

Also, sometimes, you may receive a PM from me. This will normally be some secret message between DM and player. Could be good, could be bad, depends on the character entirely.

I will post sometime tomorrow, so play on.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 am
ridersofdamar says...

hey, i need a way to limit the power of my character, besides his moral qualms of course.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:32 am
Rosendorn says...

Is that even possible for a Shade? From what I've read in Inheritance, the only way to really kill them is to distract them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

42 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:35 am
ridersofdamar says...

exactly. right now my character could probably kill god, and i do not want that. his only limiting factors are the fact that his dragon is tiny (doesnt mean much), He doesnt have complete control over his body, no one trusts him, and he doesnt want to use his powers. There needs to be more. I do NOT want my character to be all powerful, but I lack ideas.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:01 am
Lord Anzius says...

Well killing a shade is not that hard, you just have to hit the right spot right? So if someone is strong enough to get through the shades deffences or makes up a way of totally destroying the whole body of the shade like: blowing the shade up, burning him/her into ash etc. the shade will die.
To copy reality is good... But to create reality is much, much better.
-Giuseppe Verdi-

42 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:53 pm
ridersofdamar says...

but i could expoldoe his heart as soon as he showed hostile action towards me without loosing any energy.

17 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:37 pm
FinalFreedom says...

Actually, shade's aren't that powerful. They aren't a god-mod, or as you put it; "god-killing", class.

If a shade could explode someone's heart, then why didn't Durza just explode Eragon's heart in the first book and end it once and for all? They aren't that powerful; nor could they fall and shake the ground. Only dragon's(or someone using a ton of power) force could produce what your "shade" apparently did to the ground.

Also, if your shade isn't "evil", and doesn't want to be a shade, then by proxy, he isn't one. Once spirit's have taken control of one's mind, it's gone forever. There isn't any in betweens or "just-a-little's. You're either a full blown shade(who cannot become a rider), or you're just a human.

You don't just "chance" become a shade. You purposely become one, by kidnapping and sacrificing. Murdering with glee. If your character, Riders, is so good and un-evil, then why did he kill so many people to become a shade? Like I said, there is no in between, and there is no "just a little". Shade's don't have "well, what about this person's family?" thoughts, they don't think about anything but killing and enslaving. If you were a shade, all of us at the camp site would be dead by now.

This storybook is based on the book Eragon and it's ensuing series. It's wrong to not follow the ways of the land written by Mr. Paolini. Please, let's do the book justice. Play by the rules, so to speak.
Anti-Peta.

"In Vabbi , I was ambushed by six of them! They wielded blunt wooden sticks and were hissing at me about overdue fines... Bandits? Oh, no. These were library envoys."

1272 Reviews

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

Thank you Final!

Also, I found another loophole: His name didn't change. He can't be a Shade if his name hasn't changed.

I just got an idea. What if we manage to totally get rid of the spirits without killing Tristan? Since the spirits are only in a part of his mind it should be doable. He'd lose the god-modding qualities then.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:56 am
FinalFreedom says...

It shouldn't even BE a god-mod. No man can be more powerful than a dragon, and the way he is setting himself up, he IS. Playing by the rules of Alagaesia, he's made a character that could never actually exist.

The only way for the spirits thing to work is for there to be dwelling souls in his mind, tormenting him. But, honestly, no matter how many souls he had in there, they couldn't give him THAT much power. But, in order for that, we'd have to mix in the book "Magic Study" with Eragon, and if I'm not mistaken, this storybook is only about Eragon.

So, basically, I hate to say this, but it's either he's a bothered by his deed's human or we're all about to die.
Anti-Peta.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Is the storybook itself dying? :shock:
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

1272 Reviews

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

It's (technically) been re-done by Final and I.

Here is the link.

42 Reviews

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 am
ridersofdamar says...

umm... you all are talking about me like im power hungry. im not. I didnt want to be a dragon rider. I asked if it was possible, but I never wanted it to happen. I could have asked him to edit his post, but so many poeple had already posted I thought it would just be stupid to have everyone edit their posts. I figured I would just try and find someway to limit their power. As for my name, I thought Reyu would do that. As for the heart thing, Im sure Durza didn't do it for a couple of reasons, mostly being the fact that he was charged with bringing Eragon back to the king. Anywys, im sorry i killed the story, im also dropping out of the other one. Dont want to caue any more trouble seeing as thats all I seem to be doing, however unintentional it is.

Turn your demons into art, your shadow into a friend, your fear into fuel, your failures into teachers, your weaknesses into reasons to keep fighting. Don’t waste your pain. Recycle your heart.
— Andréa Balt