z

Young Writers Society

High School Never Ends DT

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:02 am
andimlovegalore says...

Now we have a discussion thread! Howsat ^__^

I thought I'd take this opportunity to fix some confusion about school in the UK.

Okay.

You start school at 4 or 5. This is reception year.

Then you start infant school. This is year 1 and 2. At the end of year 2 you take SATs which aren't very important, they're just government targets. a 2 is average, 3 above average, 1 below.

Then you start junior school. This is year 3, 4, 5 and 6. At the end of year 6 (at age 10-11) you take more SATs, this time a 4 is average, 5 above, 3 below. Some people get a 6, this is sort of special. These SATs are a tiny bit more important because if you want to get into a good high school (also known as secondary school) they can count.

High School (aka secondary school) is from year 7-13, but compulsory education ends at year 11 (age 16). In year 11 you take GCSEs which are important for life, you normally take about 10 (or I did) and it's graded from E-A*.

In year 12 you take AS levels which are important, you take from about 3-5 of these.
In year 13 you take your final exam, A2, and your AS and A2 results are combined to form an A level, which is what goes on your form to get you into university.

SO to break down the ages for high school:

First year - year 7 - 11-12
Second year - year 8 - 12-13
Third year - year 9 - 13-14
Fourth year - year 10 - 14-15
Fifth year - year 11 - 15-16
Sixth year - year 12 - 16-17
Seventh year - year 13 - 17-18

Only 7-11 are compulsory by law. Years 12 and 13 are refered to as sixth form, 12 being lower sixth and 13 being upper six (that's because the old year-grading system used to be different and when they changed it for other years, 12 and 13 stayed the same in a lot of places).

Any questions? =] Ow my wrist hurts from writing all that!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:33 am
fun4eva says...

Umm....do the people from year 11, 12 and 13 have classes together? I mean, in the story Sam, Rebecca and Leon sit together while Rebecca is supposed to be 16 i think and Leon and Sam are 15. Just asking. Sorry if I am wrong and this question is dumb..

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 pm
andimlovegalore says...

No you're right, they shouldn't be in the same classes. It's just inconsistant writing -_-

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:17 am
.:Echelon:. says...

well actuallly, i have in year 11 15 and 16 year olds, as you've said in the late comment.
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie