z

Young Writers Society

Marvel

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed May 07, 2008 5:31 pm
Maybe says...

Here's the discussion thread for Marvel. If you have any questions, suggestions, ideas, etc. post them here.

-May
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

116 Reviews

Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 am
Maybe says...

For now (I'll be editing this as we get new members/characters) here is the list of who we have so far:

Maybe: Iron Man/Tony Stark (Hero)

Kylan: The Joker/Jack Kane (Villain)

Billy: Bishop/Lucas Bishop (Hero)

kitty15: Shdowcat (Sprite and Ariel)/Katherine Pryde (Hero)

mandylynn16: Invisigirl/Violet Hansen (Hero)

Firestar: Spiderman/Peter Parker (Hero)

Ok, we need some more villains. So far we only have one, and I'd like to have at least three. That way, the storybook flows a bit better and we don't have one person off alone by themselves.

So temporarily, I'm lifting the rule about how you can only have one hero or one villain. Whoever wants is more than welcome to claim a villain, even if you're already a hero. I'll be making one later myself.

Good luck to everyone!

-May
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri May 09, 2008 1:43 am
Kylan says...

Was my last post too lengthy? Too irrevelant? I kind of just...wrote. Did anyone read it, or was it skipped over?

I dunno. That's the most I've ever written for a SB post.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri May 09, 2008 2:58 am
Firestar says...

No, I really liked it. It was a good start to this storybook.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri May 09, 2008 10:09 am
Rydia says...

A post should never be skipped over, regardless of length and I thought it was very well written.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

116 Reviews

Fri May 09, 2008 1:32 pm
Maybe says...

No, Kylan, it was perfectly fine. Beautifully written. And in my opinion, the longer the posts the better. :)

I'm working on my Villain at the moment (Lex Luthor), and then I'll move to my post. Is anyone else willing to take up the role of a villain?

-May

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri May 09, 2008 3:09 pm
Firestar says...

I would, only it's pretty difficult for me to keep up with two characters. But if you want me to get a villain I can do it.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 pm
Firestarter says...

If needs be I can create a villain as well.

Shotgun on Dr. Doom.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri May 09, 2008 5:59 pm
Rydia says...

I'll create a villain at some point tonight.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 09, 2008 6:25 pm
Firestarter says...

In terms of plot, suggestions, etc:

I think the biggest problems facing this storybook are primarily: (a) the amalgamation of the Marvel and DC universes, and how the superheroes usually separated in different comics will work together and (b) the daunting, wide, unfocused idea we have going.

In terms of (a), I mean things like Batman and Superman suddenly being friends with Spiderman and Wolverine. How does this work? Are we working in a world where the two have always been together, and that is how the world is? If so, we need some general grounding. Does S.H.I.E.L.D still act as the government's department overseeing superheroes? It's also notable that this means Metropolis and Gotham exist as large conurbations in this world.

As for (b) I mean that this is so big it could become hard to work with. It's impossible for comic book writers to fit them all in one story, so how will we do it? Usually they split them down into smaller teams/individuals to cope with a large story (e.g. The Civil War arc) while we'll be coping with it in one storybook.

Will the X-Men and Avenger teams be part of this? Who are part of these teams?

I think we generally need to place down the universe better, because in terms of comic books, alternate universes and different timelines are prevalent and it would be good to know where we were to begin with, so to speak. It's not a bad thing, I just want to know where my and others characters stand in terms of friendship/affiliations/teams, etc.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

116 Reviews

Fri May 09, 2008 9:08 pm
Maybe says...

What I had in mind when I created this storybook was that the Marvel and DC worlds are and have been joined. The heroes don't necessarily have to be 'friends' but they're aware of the other heroes' existance. Same with the Villains.

Metropolis and Gotham can/do exist. It depends on what everyone else wants and/or thinks would work best. Same goes for S.H.I.E.L.D and the X-Men and Avengers teams.

As for (b) I mean that this is so big it could become hard to work with. It's impossible for comic book writers to fit them all in one story, so how will we do it? Usually they split them down into smaller teams/individuals to cope with a large story (e.g. The Civil War arc) while we'll be coping with it in one storybook.

I assume you're talking about the heroes and villains. Well, other than the meetings, we won't really be working with the other *unclaimed* superheroes/villains. It'll just be the ones we've claimed. They'll still be running around, but I was planning on having us go as a group and fight the other side. That's why we needed a few more villains.

So it would be all of our heroes in one 'team' or 'group' up against all of our villains who have grouped/teamed up. For example, our group of heroes could be the scouts and go to Vegas to check and see what's going on. And our villains could move to intercept them to keep their plans secret.

Just an example. But what does everyone else think?

Also, sorry if I missed any of your questions. I'm pretty out of it today.

-May

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 09, 2008 9:36 pm
Firestarter says...

That sounds cool. I'm no criticising, I just wanted to know some things!

We should think of a cool new for the heroes team ;)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 pm
Twit says...

You know, Kylan, the history you put up for the Joker is only one version, so if it helps the plot, you can change it and all.

I'd join, only everyone's nicked my favs. *glares*
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri May 09, 2008 10:36 pm
Kylan says...

You know, Kylan, the history you put up for the Joker is only one version, so if it helps the plot, you can change it and all.

I know. I kind of wrote up a hybrid of histories for him. But I don't think changing it could alter the plot much.

Anyway, I can see this getting really chaotic and falling flat within a twenty or so posts. If we decided to let the heroes send 'scouts' to Vegas, what would these scouts do? Get in a fight with the villains? Get hurt? Fly home? Report to the others? And then what? A full scale war?

(Also, if the scouts and the villains did get into a tussle, why? Lex hasn't done anything. And Joker is just screwing around.)

And I think giving the villains some grand take-over-the-world scheme to team up on would also wind up similarly. We would battle it out. Retreat. Regroup. And then battle it out again. A cycle which will get old.

In most storybooks, a coherent plot isn't necessarily needed. In this storybook, I think it's crucial. Otherwise, it's going to die. For some reason, splitting up into teams sounds like a good idea to me. Working on a smaller scale seems much more feasible.

Then again, I'm just being the devil's advocate here. I don't have any really valuable ideas to add at this time.

Does anyone else have a good idea?

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 14, 2008 9:23 pm
Firestarter says...

Is anyone else going to post?

To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg