Young Writers Society

The Horizon and Beyond DT

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:24 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

Storybook NOTICE
Woot. It turns out the golems were a test of your skill! Pens is very pleased that you all passed. ^_^
post302630.html#302630

CURRENTLY BEING DISCUSSED IN THE DT

Okies. By popular vote, we shall be getting a bandit-hunting side-quest. ^_^

New question about the pace of the story! post303010.html#303010

DT UPDATES
a. Two of our players dropped out, they're infor has been removed.
b. We have learned something new from Pens about our quest and it's been added to the discoveries post. :wink:

*^*^*^

Welcome to the Horizon and Beyond DT. Here’s a little idea of what I’ll be posting here and, as a result, why you should check this thread every now and again.

a. A short description of all current characters. post300680.html#300680

b.A short summary of the plot thus far. post300681.html#300681

c. Villain and new character delegation. post300683.html#300683

d. Plot to come. post300684.html#300684

e. New discoveries. post300685.html#300685

These posts will be subject to change as discussion and plot moves along, so to keep people updated I’ll list any changes that have been made in the little update section of this post. That way when new decisions are made, people won’t have to hunt around looking for the post where they were finalized.

I think I’ve only really been in one storybook so far, so I might be all-wrong about how all of this works. I like to be organized, because that way I can actually keep the story on track (ish). I probably will treat it (unless someone educates me) like did the old ORPGs I did…which was essentially as ‘games’ with a story-like twist. (It was called the Gameboard, but the games moved just like the stories do here, so methinks it will be okay). I hope you don’t all think I’m crazy. =P This is my first try at this.

^_^ Keek!
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:06 am, edited 12 times in total.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

220 Reviews

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:24 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

Here's a short description of all our characters, for current PCs who find themselves forgetting who they are talking to and for new member who want to join.

TNcowgirl

Storm is a 17 year old elf who has made her way in the world as an assassin, despite the fear that often grips her. She does not allow it to rule her, and so she can be both daring and seductive. She has some magical abilities, and carries with her an amulet that releases (when she is in danger) a wolf companion to aid her.

Ryder, a 20 year old human wanderer, bears a curse that gives him the power to turn into a dragon. He is tough, but he does not enjoy being arouund large crowds.

Sleeping Valor

Lea is a 19 year old human with small traces of elven blood. She is a rogue and treasure hunter with the intellect and connections of a a budding spy-master. She has a minor healing ability that serves her in a pinch and a glyph of immunity that she knows little about. Her temper is quick to flare and her trust is hard to earn.

LunaBuna

Tamaru is a 120 year old elf (looks 15) with the ability to turn into and control wolves. She is very skittish and has a personality that reflects the wolves she shares a connection with. She is accompanied by a wolf companion who can go from the size of a pocket warmer to the size of a steed at will.

aedomir

Aedomir (=P) is a 39 year old human. He is an outlawed assassin who is strong and heroic. He has the ability to summon a Guardian, but only once.

sylverdawn

Kaoli Isani is a 17 year old half-elf with dragon blood. Because of he dragon blood, she can shift her form to have wings and claws, though she has not mastered the art of full transformation. She is reckless and competitive, a short temper and a sharp tounge, as a result of the way she grew up has a tendency to push people away. Fiercly loyal to her friends, but a pessimist.

LayleunRisen

Ayudial Dreyfen, or Ayu, and an 18 year old human mage. She is recognized as the top defense mage in the continent. Her youth make her childish and snippy at times, but is is very intelligent. She works for the crown, at the moment.

*^*^*^*^

Raise your hand if you've noticed all of these characters are rogues, assassins, or dark and brooding by nature.
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

220 Reviews

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:25 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

Here’s what’s happened so far.

Chapter 1: Setting Out

--Answering Advisor Pens' summons, our heroes gather in the capital. They have been promised an audience with Pens in the morning.
--The King’s Advisor gives the heroes their quest and some information.
--Pens had a bunch of golems attack you, as a test of your skill. You all passed.
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

220 Reviews

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

The Bandit King

He's got all the bandit leaders reporting to him, and is actually coordinating their attacks. In total, he has 5 bandit gangs, each counting 25 men. He resides in an old abandoned fortress on top of a hill, where the bandits report to him weekly.

If anyone would like to control him, then I'll PM you with what info you will need to command the bandits. Any takers?

(don't feel pressured, if there's no volunteers I can handle him myself ^_^)
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

220 Reviews

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Chapter One

--They are enlisted to handle bandits!
--They travel to the coast where they board a fine ship and set sail.
--They arrive finally on the other side of the ocean.

*^*^*^*^*^

I have a basic idea of what obstacles out heroes will encounter. I consider this storybook as having levels (or chapters) each with minor events and a major event. I will be asking people for feedback on new plot ideas for both types of events I think might be good, and taking suggestions at all times.

I’ll list the levels (chapters) here and [minor] events that are expected to happen, anyone can throw in new elements while in the story of course, these one are just the ones relevant to the main plot.

I don’t know if this is how it works normally, but the ones with stars are the ones I will be introducing (because I don’t like to rush =P). Anything else people introduce in game themselves (so the bandits that attack them while they are traveling to the coast, the pirates that come after them, all that goodness is open for anyone to introduce any time. Does this make sense?
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

220 Reviews

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

Chapter One

The King and the Levan Gem have been taken by an assassin known as 'The Shade'. He resides in he realm of Ghalen, across the sea.
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:37 am
View Likes
Layleun says...

You are a very organized storybooker, Valor. I enjoy this thread ^.^ It keeps me updated on what I missed and will allow me to look back without having to reread everything. I've never seen a storybook thread quite like this but i love it. I can delete this post after if you don't want a mucky thread ^.^

~Lupe

220 Reviews

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:42 am
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

:D I'm glad you like my organization. And the post is fine. =P This is just like a normal DT, I just monopolized the first six posts for organization. From here on out it's normal DT type stuff.

Wow, a lot of people joined. That's pretty cool. Though it means I have a bit of work ahead of me getting the description of everyone up. XD How insanely flattering.

^_^ Keek!

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:36 am
View Likes
sylverdawn says...

kay i checked this out really nice I agree with Layleunrisen it feels like this will be alot easier to use.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:42 am
LunaBuna43 says...

Yes Yes! Much more easier! I like it! It was hard to follow at first but i got it now! I like this new set-up!! Very much I do!!
"When other girls wanted to be Ballerinas, I kind of wanted to be a Vampire." ~Me
My first puppers Pikapet
My second puppers Pikapet
Check out my new group! Roleplayers Unite!

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:38 pm
Aedomir says...

this is unaturally oraganised lol! :-D

let me know when we hold an audience with advisor pen. maybe could prehaps get the message late and come in at the last minute...

I don't know!

:-)
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

220 Reviews

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:32 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

^_^ Yes, I am super organized. What's hilarious is I had to use the character descriptions the last two posts I've mad because I keep forgetting who is who. So it wasn't in vain. =P

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 pm
TNCowgirl says...

I like your organization. Ok, so what was your question. And my people will probably just stay quiet about his question (his being Pens). I don't know.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:49 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

I like your organization. Ok, so what was your question. And my people will probably just stay quiet about his question (his being Pens). I don't know.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

220 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

Oh right. =P I forgot to post the question (though it's in the 'Being dicussed'), silly me.

Which of these would you guys prefer?

a. On their way to the coast, the heroes notice some odd bandit activity, and end up with the opportunity to take out a large bandit gang that has been causing havoc recently.

b. They actually are asked to hunt down the bandits, so it won't be conveniently on the way and will take a bit more time since the bandits might not all be together. However, in that route, we could tie in some important discovery or something. If you picked this option, or event if you didn't what would you then suggest for the interesting quest reward?

c. None of the above, just get them to the harbor and set sail.

In either a or b, we get to take a little time to let the characters get used to each other's strengths and weaknesses, which will be good because I'd like to try and have them all buddy-ish (I won't ask too much, they're all pretty anti-social in some way or another) by the time they land in Ghalen.

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!" "Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell