Young Writers Society

GT Plot Discussion

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:07 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Some background data before we begin.

JIN (Journey Into the North) is a storybook on YWS. It is currently inactive.

JIN is set in a world which has suffered a recent magical cataclysm. Normal magic as is commonly present in most fantasy stories has been disrupted and; for the most part; lost.

The story begins with a group of heroes assembled to go to the North. They go North, only to find that they need to install Prince Valin on the throne of the elves.

Standing in there way were priests of a magic order and the elves who had been corrupted.

The plot thickens even deeper when they find that there is a way to restore the old magical system. To do so, they need to get their hands on the Wizards Tome, a book which documents the original construction of the magical field.

Our heroes aren't the only ones interested though, the priesthood is also interested. They wish to capture the book and set up their own field, that only the priests know.

JIN ended as the two groups approached this magical tome.

At this point, the storybook died. This thread is to continue the story.

There were several plans involving what would happen next to the group, but none of them need to be present in the sequel if we so choose.

This isn't just for authors of JIN either. Anyone who wants to write in this upcoming sequel can help plot it.

In my writings of storybooks, I've noticed that it is hard to keep writers interested in storybooks for any period longer than three months. Maybe these were just the storybooks themselves, but it is probably a good idea to keep the story to something that can be completed within three months, even if it is only Part 1.

Using the part system, storybooks have survived for years at a time, with short breaks between each part.

Now, finally, the question part.

1. How does JIN end?

2. When does this sequel start compared to the end of JIN?

3. What is the object of the next sequel?

That's enough to start.
Last edited by Griffinkeeper on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:40 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Maybe we can start by asking who plans on writing for this storybook. I know I'm in.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:59 am
deleted6 says...

I'm in, but please make it after exams. :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:08 am
Jennafina says...

I've said this about six times before in various places around YWS, but I'm in. XD With the same character, too.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:24 pm
Firestarter says...

I'll be here in some way or another.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:26 pm
Fand says...

I'm in. :D
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:14 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

This sounds like fun. How are you planning on doing it in terms of the people who played the characters in the first part? Like, if there are members who were playing characters in the group that aren't around/active/whatever any more, can someone replace their character with a new one?

Hmm. I'd have to think about the character I'd play, but I think I'm in. ^_^

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:36 pm
Charlie II says...

AWritersFantasy: I think it's a 'Choose your own adventure' type story where you read as 'the group' and make decisions that affect the outcome of the story. At least, I hope that's what it is :? !

If I'm welcome I'll do my best to help, I should be able to give this a bit of time!

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:30 pm
misspriss says...

I'm in. :) Yay. I can't wait for the sequel to begin. Anyway, I think Carmenia should die, if we're going to wrap up JiN really quick. I'd like to have a differant character for JiN 2, if that is possible.

I have an idea...perhaps JiN 2 can continue the story...let's say the next generation or something. *shrugs* It's just an idea.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:37 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

This is a storybook RPG, not sure to how that translates to a "choose your own adventure" thing.

As to inactive characters, I think they are going to be reserved in case their writers show up.

We do need to make room for new characters though and that is something that needs to be addressed: how can this sequel allow new characters to join in without some corny "Hey, I've got nothing better to do, why don't I tag along with you" shtick that always gets used.

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:51 pm
Charlie II says...

This is a storybook RPG, not sure to how that translates to a "choose your own adventure" thing.

Ooops, my bad! I get what you mean now I had a look through it.

As for room for new characters, how about a nasty/oily/sneering type person enters the group and twists it to his/her own motives. Quite a nasty piece of work really, someone who uses the group as a stepping stone to futher their own goals. Might end up just being a guest appearance and then disappearing. Any good?

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

59 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:54 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Hmm. I think I like misspriss's idea in having it be a new generation. It would make sense since it's a sequel. It would also easily make room for new characters, while also reserving the characters of other people who were in the original storybook for it for in case they come back and want to bring their characters in to it.

If we do go this direction, then the same questions need to be answered-

1. How does JIN end?

2. When does this sequel start compared to the end of JIN?

3. What is the object of the next sequel?

As an additional question, what has happened to the Wizard's Tome? From here, we need to decide which direction we want to go in; the Wizard's Tome could have, as a hand-me-down, fallen in to the hands of one of the people from the new generation who is a relative (probably grandchild, or maybe even daughter or son, depending on how many generations are between the original group and this new one) of one of the members of the original group, or has it been lost and the new group has to find it and it's their job to keep it from Enemy X or something?

Wow, my brain seems to be working well today when it comes to this stuff. XD

59 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:57 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

As for room for new characters, how about a nasty/oily/sneering type person enters the group and twists it to his/her own motives. Quite a nasty piece of work really, someone who uses the group as a stepping stone to futher their own goals. Might end up just being a guest appearance and then disappearing. Any good?

Oooh, I like that idea. He could be tied to Enemy X if we wanted.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:25 pm
View Likes
Jennafina says...

To get some new characters in without the 'I'll come too' syndrome, there could be a rescue. The group could free some slaves, or captives from enemy territory, and they would have to come along or be lost. Eventually, they'd come on their own free will, but maybe not at first.

A character could come with them for personal motives. In JiN, most characters came because they were morally obligated to, and a character who goes with them because he/she wants power or fame, or a chance to look at the tome when the group gets it would be a nice contrast. Like DarkLight said.

There could be a spy from a brand new enemy that doesn't pose a threat yet. He or she could be trying to gain as much information about the group as possible, so would have to work on gaining the group's trust. He/she'd have a choice at one point wether or not to go through with the betrayal.

The group could acquire a slave. I know some of the group would object, and they've got Becky for chores, but it would be a fun character.

Any of these worth considering?
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

59 Reviews

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Definitely. I'm definitely liking the spy idea. Something that could be interesting is having the spy have to decide between doing what's right and ending up helping the group or just staying on the bad guy's side. Character conflict and all that. :D Not so sure about the slave idea, but I think that's generally because I'm not a huge fan of slaves and I'm used to them being played as umm...well. Slutty (in chat room RP's), so I'm a bit biased about them, though I don't really have a problem with it.

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia